[OP - F22] Star-Crossed Gala

Ben let out a laugh as he listened to Dazia's story. "It sounds like they're a couple of characters.  Though I am curious- you've mentioned your siblings a few times before, but never really gone into detail about them.  I mean, I understand if it's hard to talk about family in here, being away from them for so long..." he asked her as he scooched his seat over, pushing some of the snacks from one end of the table between them to share. 

"A place for your workshop, huh.  You going to do a combination workshop and store, or separate them?  I know I have my cart in the first floor to sell things, but my workshop is in my home a few floors up.  It's not exactly a place that gets a good amount of foot traffic up there, and I figured I'd catch a lot more new players on a lower floor." he said with a sly grin. "It's nice to be somewhere busy like that and people watch a bit- even if it's usually just me and my familiar."

@Dazia

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benjamin laughed when Dazia explained what her siblings might do, remarking that they sounded like a couple of characters. "Hah, they definitely are..." Dazia noted, remembering the flaws in them that were so obvious to her. At least they had some sense of sensibility, even some morality, to cover up for those weaknesses that would surely drag them down, given the chance. Benjamin admitted that he was curious about Dazia's siblings, since she had never gone into detail about them. "I can tell you some things." Dazia answered. "I may have had some issues, but there were a few good moments I had from time to time."  She admitted. "I happen to be the youngest of seven children in my family. Six siblings, all of them older than me. Aurelius is the Eldest, then there's Hern, afterwards came Akemi and Hiraani, then came Galen, then Haimi, and lastly there was me, Violet Grace." She explained. "Again, I can tell you some things if you really want to know."

Benjamin had also remarked on the fact that Dazia was still looking for a place to set up shop. He asked her if she intended to have the workshop and store under the same roof, or if she wanted to separate them. He also admitted that he kept his separate, for he sold things at a cart on the first floor. Dazia wasn't certain she could pull off the same thing. "I see...well, I'll admit, I was indeed thinking of having both the workshop and the store under the same roof. There are a few places I could set up shop in the Town of Beginnings, they're just a bit difficult to find, let alone remember easily, as the settlement is huge..." She explained. Of course, these were all but possibilities at the moment. Nothing was set in stone.

@Benjamin Bookworm

[Emotional Wall takes 3 Damage]

[Emotional Wall Strength: 30%]

The pink-haired paladin looked down at the glass in her hand, then to the glass in her new friend’s hand, then to the table she had pointed to. She pondered for a moment, thinking about it, but she actually hadn’t gotten it from there. The waitress who handed her off the drinks could have gotten it from the table there.

”Ah, actually no. A butler delivered it to me. I think it tastes pretty good, doesn’t it?”She asked, taking another light sip of the drink. “And, yeah. You looked like you had a bit on your mind when I first saw you. Usually that means you could use someone to talk to. Besides, isn’t this event all about the community socializing with each other and enjoying themselves?”

When she noticed Mari’s eyes looking down to inspecting her dress, she carefully adjusted the skirt around her lower half down more to cover more of her skin. Her cheeks flushed a little red.

”I-Is there something on my dress?” Even after looking around the dress for any soils, it seemed clean and fine to her.

If a butler had given her the drink, then there was no chance that it would have come from the punch bowl Macradon had attacked. Mari exhaled with a sigh of relief as she lifted the glass to her lips and tipped the liquid down. It was a little too sweet for her liking but Mari wasn't one to knock a gift horse in the mouth. It beat the dry taste of some of the other drinks on offer. So it'd do. "I'm not a big fan of overly sweet things - but I don't mind it." Mari said truthfully.

Did...she look like she had something on her mind? Mari pursed her lips, tapping the glass with a finger. She wasn't really focusing on any one thing in particular. She was just... people watching. "I'm not usually one to just talk things through, I'm not trusting enough for sh*t like that - but I don't really think there's too much on my mind. Nothing more than usual." Mari smirked as Yuki talked about the theme of the event. "Well, people havmost definitely been...socializing with others, not entirely sure everyone is enjoying things - but with events like this, that always happens."

Yuki mentioned her dress, worried something was on it. "What?" Mari asked, blinking as Yuki asked if there was anything on her dress. "Oh, no. No there isn't. I have a habbit of staring at times. If I'm being honest, I was just thinking about how it reminded me of a cosplay outfit - but I'm not exactly one to judge. I'm usually more comfortable in a t-shirt and shorts than anything dressy."  Mari shifted her glance away, again - it lingered on the door as she took another sip from her glass. "It looks good on you though, so take my words with a grain of salt. Yeh?"

Mari was not a very good conversationalist, she wasn't sure how she should hold this conversation, nor keep it going. She did warn Yuki she wouldn't exactly be a good 'friend' but hey, a girl can try, right?

"What do you normally do, when you're not gallivanting around in dresses at galas?"

@Zajcica

Sounded about right. Yuki was pretty bad at reading people in all honesty. If she were to give it a try more often, she figured her sense for those sort of things would get better. That or Mari was really just that hard to read.

”Sorry, I didn’t mean to assume anything. I was just wanting to meet new people as I mentioned earlier. If I’m intruding I... Actually, I’m sure you would’ve already walked away if you really didn’t want to talk to me.” Red flushed her cheeks again, she hated how easy it was to fluster her but she couldn’t help it. “Uh, thanks. I don’t get compliments like that too often. A lot of people would make fun of me for-“ She cut herself off there, realizing it probably wasn't a good idea to bring that up.

”What do I do? I’m level one. I’ve only just left the Town of Beginnings. I kind of just lived through life these past few years because when I first started, I was only interested in the VR experience. I’m not familiar with MMO video games at all.” It was even more embarrassing to admit her fear of joining the battle. Coward. She hadn’t even tried. “But, I can’t sit around and do nothing anymore. We all need to work together on this and we’ll all walk out of it together. Or...I hope that could be the case.” The scowl on her face showed that she knew that it wouldn’t be all sunshine and rainbows like she just described, but she was optimistic with it at least.

@Mari

Edited by Zajcica
Forgot to add color

"Anything specific?  I don't know- I guess just how you got along with that big of a family.  Just the one brother was enough for me.  Especially the attention seeking pain in the ass he is." he answered. "I'm actually the older in my family, more used to dealing with less mature siblings.  With six older siblings, you must have had a lot of them helping watch out for you.  Or at least someone out there to miss you while you're out." his voice cracked a bit at that, as he regretted thinking down those lines. 

"Sorry I'm not good at keeping conversations like this going- usually I just fade into the background in parties.  I thought it would be nice to hear about where you're from, and what things were like for you.  Um, and it goes both ways if you want to ask anything about me either." he grabbed a handful of the snacks from the table as he dropped his gaze nervously again. "Or just snack a bit and relax for a while.  I'd like that too."

@Dazia

Mari shrugged when Yuki apologized. "It's fine really. I mean, I ain't gonna bite your head off just because you assumed I may have something going on in my head. That's like..." Mari paused trying to find the right words. "It's like, getting angry at someone who is checking up on you - it's not really founded. Nor fair." Mari shifted a few feet away from Yuki, just to set the now empty plate down onto a nearby table before returning to the pinkette's side. "You're right. I don't exactly play nice, nor beat around teh bush. If I truly didn't want to talk to you - I would have said as much and walked away."  Mari twirled the glass in her hands, that's...probably why a lot of people didn't like her in the past - because she wasn't all sunshine and daisies. Because she didn't like pretending to be nice for the sake of being nice. If she had a problem with someone or something, she'd say as such. Although now...she was trying to be better.

"Make fun of you?" Mari asked as her attention was bought back to Yuki. "Why? If they're gonna make fun of you just kick them in the knees. F**k 'em."  A quick glance up and down her form, and Mari saw no real discernible reason as to why anyone would pick on the woman. Pink hair maybe? That was a bit of a stretch though. Mari wouldn't press the matter, especially if Yuki didn't want to talk about it.  It pissed off Mari to no end when people continually pressed her for things despite her asking them not to. So why would she force that unpleasant experience on others?

"There's quite a few people doing that lately..." Mari said absently. "I mean - deciding to do something, aside from flippantly wandering around with no aim that is."  Mari cleared her throat. That sounded much harsher than she intended. "Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you. Like, we're all trapped in this stupid place - so we all do what we can to get by. If people don't want to do anything and just live out each day the best they can - then so what? If anyone dismisses that or gets sh**ty at people for that then they're f**king idiots." Mari downed the rest of her glass and crossed her arms.

"It's not like they're going around killing people." She shifted her eyes away at that comment. What a damn hypocritical thing to say.  "But I admire that, wanting to get stronger and fight your way on out. The frontlines are harsh, and not just from the bosses and monsters. The people, the atmosphere, the entire thing is just...harsh."

@Zajcica

The pink-haired paladin cleared her throat. It was true that she seemed just like any other girl, it would look odd for her specifically to be picked on for no reason. Did she dare reveal her secret?

"Well, to be fair, I may look like any other girl, but I'm not the same." Yuki closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She felt as though she shouldn't be scared to share her past but there was also the chance of her true identity could be incomprehensible to someone who didn't understand her situation. She sighed heavily and her tone changed from that perky, happy girl to a more serious and stern tone. Her arms folded against her flat chest. "A lot of people don't agree with my life choices. I was lucky enough that my parents could understand, but most of my friends and classmates deemed me an outcast or a weirdo. I don't want to bore you with the details or anything, especially since I'm sure you probably wouldn't care to hear it as much as some other subject. If you wish not to speak on the topic, I don't mind trying to change it. Otherwise, I hope you have an open mind to another person's choices in life. You seem quite like a realist, so perhaps maybe you would understand it, actually."

Yuki shrugged to herself, taking a deep breath in and out, then looking back to her company.

"Do you ever feel like the things that make you happy also try to destroy you in the process?"

@Mari

Oh.

Oh

Everything clicked together for Mari. It made sense now. Right - the things that she had missed earlier, because she didn't really think about them. The slightly broader shoulders, the flatter chest - Right. But...

Mari took a step forward and took Yuki's chin between her thumb and forefinger. "Hmmm..." Mari gently tilted Yuki's head to the side as she peered closer, blazing blue eyes refusing to shift from wavering pools of purple. "All I see is a woman. Dunno what your friends are about, they're the weird ones." Mari let go of Yuki's chin slowly with a shrug. "Way I see it, wasn't a choice - you've always been you. Now you're just, well. More you. Right?"  Mari offered Yuki a warm smile. The other didn't need to go into detail, Mari understood. And Mari was accepting of it, who wouldn't be? The way Mari saw it was that Yuki was simply born in the wrong body - and she was doing her best to fix that. To Mari, that wasn't a choice. "And what mad person wouldn't do all they can to be as true to themselves as they can, right? To live any other way is just too painful."

Mari reached out and pushed chopped bangs of pink out of Yuki's eyes. "So what you're doing? That's amazing. And you're right. On our path to try and better ourselves, and make ourselves happy - there is a lot of discourse. People try to pull us down and tear us apart. Life does that. And its bullsh*t to say that pain builds good character, that's just excusing humanities sh**ty behavior. But you're not destroyed yet, are you Yuki. You're here now. So that's what matters. I think."

Mari thought that maybe it'd be best if she shifted the topic, not because she felt awkward - but because she was unsure on how Yuki felt. Mari didn't want do dismiss her essentially revealing a big part of her past - but, Mari wanted to focus on the now. Whoever Yuki was in the past was a dead name. Now, Yuki was Yuki. Right?

"So, Yuki. Lady Pembroke is going to be holding an Auction later - have you submitted any adventure ideas to the auction. It could make you some decent Col and experience. That'd help with your goal right?"

@Zajcica

All it took was those first six words to but a tear in Yuki’s violet-coloured eye.

”All I see is a woman.”

Even though the emotional lump stuffed up her throat, she held herself still while Mari examined her. She listened to her entire speech about how Yuki was a stronger person than she had thought initially. By the end, she felt fairly emotional barely able to respond, however, she did.

”I...A-Arigatou Mari-san. I really needed to hear something like that after about three years of solitude. I can’t believe I’ve brought up such a personal topic like this when I barely even know you. It seems absolutely rude of me! You are such a nice and understanding person.”

Once the awkward moment had passed, somewhat, Yuki cleared her throat and her tone changed once again. Back to that happy-go-lucky girl. It was weird to see both sides of her, it had seemed she actually had to try to make her girly voice come out correctly.

”I’m not really sure what you mean. Is there more to this event than I am aware?” Subconsciously, Yuki pulled up her menu and sent Mari a friend request. The first person that she could say she added to that list, if she were to accept. 

Zajcica has sent you a Friend Request. Read a prompt in front of Mari.

@Mari

Talk about a mishap. The butler raised a brow at how quickly -- and aggressively the women had left the two, and she watched them go by, picking a fight with two other players elsewhere. NIGHT turned to the pink-haired woman when she spoke, shooting back a wry smile herself and nodding in understanding to her reply. "Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass," was all she was able to say, eying the rest of the gala behind her, before looking back to catch to catch her patron leave. With how the night was going, she really couldn't blame her, or anyone else here for that matter.

Sheesh... It almost makes me appreciate the fact that I'm here alone tonight. Who knows what kind of drama--

A sigh left the waiter's lips, and a hand placed wrung the back of her neck, as she chided herself for thinking the worse of her friends. NIGHT took a glance over her tray of food for a second, wondering how many more guests there would be left to chat up. There couldn't be that many others left on the floor at such an hour. Perhaps she should close shop on her activities for the day.

It was only now that a rumbling in her stomach reminded her of her mortal desires -- what a miracle it was that she had forgotten to feed herself first. With a shrug, the woman set the platter on two of her hands this time, carrying it over to an open table by the side of the room. It wouldn't hurt to indulge herself for a moment or two in delicacies and people watching.

After all, she wondered, picking up a small bite of chocolate, the best part about Valentines is usually the cheap snacks afterwards. I guess this time, it's for free.

Benjamin decided to ask about how she was able to get along with a family her size, as one brother seemed to be enough for him. Dazia sipped from a glass of wine as she heard him say in a quieter voice that his brother was an attention seeking pain in the ass. Attention seeking...that was something she had definitely seen in one or two of her siblings. Benjamin admitted that he was the older sibling in his family, and believed that since Dazia was the youngest, she must have...had most of her siblings there watching out for her, and missing her when she was gone... Dazia couldn't keep herself from having a short burst of laughter over that. "Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ah, aha, if only. It's not exactly easy for me to get along with some of them. Aurelius may be the kind of person to help and assist others, but he tends to be very arrogant as well. He often tried to help me, but it didn't take long for me to realize that he was doing it for more than the fact that he should, being the eldest...didn't hurt, though. Hern...well, despite his courage to stand up for friends and family during certain situations, it is painfully obvious that his appetite is bigger than his heart. He seems to put the blame on metabolism and he often exercises off the excess calories...to me, it's almost an excuse. Akemi seems to be good at making friends...but is subtle about why she wants friends in the first place. She has a tendency to be...possessive of things, sometimes, other people. Hiraani likes it when she influences someone for the better, and she has a soft spot for children...but she...well, let's just say she tends to get too friendly with single men. Galen...well, he's often the relaxed and calm sort, but he often claims he's always tired and...he often spends his mornings asleep unless one of us wakes him up. I try to get the point across in a subtle manner when I do it, but there were a few times where I tried to...flip the mattress over. As for Haimi...well, it can be difficult to find positives with someone you're not on good terms with, even if it started off one-sided. She seems to have this cheery disposition, but she's quick tempered, and she's disliked me for the fact that Dad favored me more than her for reasons neither of us understood. It's gone on for so long, I don't know if we'll ever be on good terms again." She explained as she set down the glass of wine. "I guess for most of them, it's kind of a mystery as to whether or not they actually cared." She admitted.

Benjamin explained how he usually faded into the background at parties like this. "Almost like you were invisible? Well, it's nothing that I mind when it happens to me here and there. I mean, I currently don't think anyone else is noticing that we're here, having a conversation," She chuckled. "Except maybe Yinangi..." She muttered, wondering if the girl was watching them this very moment. Benjamin noted that he thought it would be nice for him to know where she was from, and what it was like for her. "Well, I come from the eastern side of the U.S. Now that you mention it, actually, it would be nice for me to know some more about you." She admitted.

@Benjamin Bookworm

[Emotional wall takes 14 Damage]

[Emotional Wall Strength: 16%]

"Knowing more about me- well I'm from the Chicago area, so close-ish to where you're at." he said with a bit of sadness to his voice. "I guess we're kinda opposites family-wise though- my parents tend to dote on my brother a lot more than me.  But I think that's because he likes parties like this.  My parents are always taking him out when they meet with business clients, and those get togethers which are just everyone standing around and bragging about themselves- I guess it helps make business contacts, but it seems like it's all they do with their lives.  Sometimes I think it's all they care about." 

He placed his hand onto Dazia's arm as he looked into her eyes "One thing I'm sure of is that is they miss you more than you think.  Even if my brother and I never got along much, he's still family, and I regret not telling him that before I left.  I think your siblings will be glad to have you back too." he felt his voice shake a bit as he spoke. Maybe he shouldn't have talked about such deep topics tonight- making himself vulnerable like that. 

@Dazia

Dazia listened carefully to what Benjamin had to say. So his parents were people of business, possibly business only, based on what was spoken. "It does seem to come across that way... My mother believed my siblings and I were equally special, and...well, in the end, my Dad changed. He's gone now, my Mom shut him out, and I've never seen him since." Dazia revealed.

Benjamin placed his hand on Dazia's arm, and she didn't feel uncomfortable in any way...just a bit nervous. Dazia made eye contact with him, and he looked into her eyes. Dazia would find his words to be reassuring...and Dazia couldn't help but look into his eyes, trying to prove to herself whether or not she could tell him. She no longer wanted to avoid the truth, she wanted to speak it...what on earth was going on with her heart? She felt nervous, yet she also felt comfortable, she felt unsure, yet certain, could she even tell anymore? ...She had to make sure of one more thing. She needed to know the answer to a final question. She was on the brink of letting it all out, but she wanted to reassure herself first. "Benjamin..." She began, her face reddened, her knees shaking. "Thank you...you really seem like a great friend who cares...but...as I have told you before, there were moments in this game when I was forced to kill...would...would you still care if such a time was ever to happen again?" She asked somewhat shakily. Now that the question was out, she just had to hear the answer...one last hope, and already she felt like she'd blown it. 

@Benjamin Bookworm

[Emotional Wall takes 15 Damage]

[Emotional Wall Strength: 1%]

Ben took a few seconds to just look at Dazia's face, processing her question. "Dazia, of course I'd care if that happened.  I care for you- if you ever had to go through something like that again I'd want to be there to help protect you." he paused, trying to find the right words to say next though his whole body felt like it was going to break down. "I saw how much it hurt you the last time, and if you were ever in that situation again... I just don't want you to go through something like that alone." 

With his heart beating out of his chest, Ben held Dazia's hand in his own.  They were soft, gentle- just like she was. Just like she deserved to be.  He had always been weak and scared since the rules for the death game had been announced- but he didn't want that.  He'd found someone he could be strong for.  "Please let me be there to support you.  Whatever it takes to see you through."

@Dazia

Dazia listened, waiting for the answer.

"Dazia, of course I'd care if that happened.  I care for you- if you ever had to go through something like that again I'd want to be there to help protect you."

Dazia's knees slowly stopped shaking as she heard this. She could hardly believe what she was hearing, but it was also exactly what she was hoping for.

"I saw how much it hurt you the last time, and if you were ever in that situation again... I just don't want you to go through something like that alone."

Dazia felt her heart beating inside her chest, as Benjamin held her hand. They felt soft and gentle, and Dazia felt so vulnerable...and yet, she had nothing against this. In fact, she realized that she felt...secure. Benjamin spoke again.

"Please let me be there to support you.  Whatever it takes to see you through."

Dazia had to say it. She had to tell him. There was nothing that could stop her this very moment, and she knew what she was feeling... It was now or never. "Benjamin...there's something I need to tell you." She began as she looked into his eyes. She blushed as she continued. "I...I have a feeling that I..." She took a deep breath, and would speak those three words.

"I love you."

She had confessed. There was no going back.

@Benjamin Bookworm

[Emotional Wall takes 41 Damage]

[Wall broken!]

Mari frowned when Yuki said she really needed to hear something like that; what? She did? Really? That was...kinda sad. Not that Mari would say anything. The last thing Yuki probably needed was someone pitying her.

"You don't ah...really need to thank me..." Mari said as she tousled her hair awkwardly. Her gaze shifted back to the entrance then back to Yuki. "I mean, isn't that what any normal person would do? You say you're a woman, you're a woman. It ain't exactly rocket science. You don't need to be an elite hacking programmer - you just gotta be a human being with some human decency and some brains."  Mari sighed as she lowered her hand and crossed her arms. "Then again... not many people have a lotta brains, probably can't even bang two rocks together."

Mari didn't really think she was a kind, nor understanding. She was an emotional mess. Easily frustrated, closed off from others, untrusting. Sure, she'd help if she could - but she'd just as equally find herself walking away with the thought 'not my problem' It really depended on the situation and people involved. A nice person would have helped without a second thought, without judgement.  Was that Mari?  She wasn't so sure.

"Yeh." Mari said to Yuki's next question, she relaxed - not realising that she had tensed herself up. "The event was meant to be a gala and auction. Players would be able to submit their ideas to Lady Pembroke - and people could bid on them. The winner gets to do the quest with the quest giver - the quest giver gets some nice Col, and hey they both get some experience out of it."

Mari turned to Yuki and gave the pinkette a cheeky grin. "I submitted something in there myself, I'm worried I'll hate working with whoever wins - but I think that's meant to be part of the fun. No? Quest with someone you normally wouldn't and all that jazz."

Mari blinked when she saw the friend request pop up in front of her. Mari felt the need to reiterate she wasn't good company, but instead she bit her tongue and accepted it silently.

@Zajcica

"I love you"

Ben's breath caught in his throat as he heard those words. Dazia... she really felt that way? About him?  He held onto her hand tightly, stuttering a bit as he answered.

"I... I love you too Dazia.

I've been in love with you since we met- I mean, someone as brave and driven as you, how could I not fall in love?" he was as red as a beet by now, still trying to process this turn of events.  "I've wanted to be there for you... to watch your back until we could get you home.  I'd have been happy with just that."

"If you entrust me with that heart of yours, I'll keep it safe.  And I'll keep you safe- whatever danger comes our way, whatever challenges there are, I'll be right there behind you all the way.
I promise."
he said with a gentle smile, bringing her in closer to him. His heart was racing out of his chest... and he just felt like this was perfect. Just the two of them.

@Dazia

The woman who had threatened Vigilon returned to apologize. Vigilon forgave her, believing she was doing what was right in her eyes...in the end, it truly was but a matter of perspective, wasn't it? She offered Krysta and Vigilon some punch, as to make amends for the rash actions she had committed. Krysta accepted the glass, and the woman would speak to her. She considered Krysta's personality to be a respectable one, and that her hit was a good one. The woman also asked her to not do it again. "Surely you wouldn't need to worry about that again." Krysta reassured with a smile. 

Once the woman had left, Vigilon quickly warned Krysta to not drink the punch. Her eyes widened, and she slowly set down the glass on the table, looking at it as if it were contaminated. She put the thoughts aside, and looked back to Vigilon. "Right...now that...this, has been handled...there does seem to be a dance floor here, would you like to dance?" She asked.

@Vigilon

Ben held Dazia's hand tightly. What was he going to say?

"I... I love you too Dazia."

Dazia's eyes widened slightly. Ben would explain how he'd loved her since the day he met her, as his face turned beet red. He loved how she was brave and driven, and he wanted to always be there for her...He promised to keep her safe, that she could entrust her heart to him, no matter what challenges they faced. Ben brought Dazia in closer to him, a gentle smile on his face. Dazia was smiling too, for she felt like she had another hope...and it would be worth protecting, worth counting on. "Thank you, Benjamin..." She said. "Feel free to call me by my real name for as long as you'd like." 

She was feeling relaxed, despite her heartbeat going at a rapid pace, and as of the current moment, it was just the two of them. It was nice to feel something other than irritation, aggravation, fury, or hatred deep down inside...it always was around since that one day, that it had been so long, so it felt strangely pleasant to be devoid of it. She couldn't have imagined this going any better...

@Benjamin Bookworm

180 Light Points have been added to Dazia's Journal

Dazia's Alignment has been affected!