[F1-SP] How do you even play this game? <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

-First few lessons are free
Morgan stumbled out of a tavern his body rubbing off the side of the door as he wobbled down some steps. Though this wasn't due to any drunkenness, but more so the fact he hadn't moved from his seat at the tavern for over eight hours and became rather dizzy having not really taking care himself during that time apart from drinking beer. His feet fumbled before finding their grip, his body slouched as he looked left and right, forgetting which way he had come in the first place. Passerby's shot him stern glances as they walked past, not exactly fond of his antics at this point, it had become a common occurrence. To put it bluntly he was growing tired of the uncalled for prejudice, it wasn't like any of the other level one players were contributing anything to their escape from this hell hole either. "Bunch of hypocrites, that's what you all are." His voice declared.

Stats:

Spoiler

Level 1 -  HP: 20 | EN: 2 | Damage: 4 |Mitigation: 9
Skills - Rank 1 THSS |

Edited by Morgan

Footsteps followed him from behind, a tall blond man with long hair and dark eyes placed a friendly hand on his back, a fellow player it seemed. "If you're tried of the same looks, why don't you start doing something useful with yourself." Morgan straightened himself a swatted away the mans hand, looking into the players eyes. "If you wanted me to punch you in the face you could have just asked nicely." The man laughed at his grouchy response. "Suit yourself, but at this point your brain is just rotting away. Is that how you want to die?" Morgan looked the man up and down, wondering just who in the hell would have the nerve to start talking to a stranger like some kind of paternal figure. Oh wait, he and the rest of his commune did that too. He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Is there something you wanted weirdo?"

The man laughed again at his snappy attitude. "No, not personally. I just hate seeing people wasting away and wallowing in self pity when I'm trying have a meal. At first I was just enjoying my breakfast, but then I wanted to see just how pitiful you could get sitting there. Have to say I'm rather impressed at your commitment to beer." Morgan's face stiffened, looking at the man dead in the eyes. "So your solution is to berate me in public, is that it? What a genius you are. How about you do yourself and everyone else a favor and stay out of their business." Morgan shoved his fingers into the mans chest, pushing him back a couple steps. The man rubbed his chest with a smirk. "Alright then, suit yourself. But when you're done moping you should head to an alchemy shop and ask for Zakariah, hell give you a few tasks to start you off."

Morgan looked at the man with confusion, not exactly sure what exactly just had occurred. The blonde figure walked away with one hand raised to signal his departure. "Anyway, later mister. Keep moping or don't, up to you." Perhaps the man had some merit to what he was spouting. He was getting rather bored of being a grouch and wasting his days drinking pissing and sleeping. Morgan rattled his brain for a moment deliberating on what he'd end up doing with the rest of his day anyway. "Ugh, fine, whatever." He was in a game after all, it wouldn't hurt to spend some time learning how to play it the way it was designed to. If it wasn't for him then he'd just stop and go back to drinking. He looked back at the tavern one more time, the thought of another drink enticing him. "No no no, we're not doing that again Morgan. Not like I can afford it anyway." 

Morgan stretched out his back with two hands placed behind it, allowing for a few satisfying cracks before opening his menu. "Alright lets see here, some useless junk of a quest shouldn't be too hard." He looked at his field map, wondering if had passed by the alchemy shop in question before. Morgan squinted his eyes before spotting it, just a short walk away from here. He took a deep breath and swiped away the interface, looking down at the in game time. Eighteen hundred hours. With a heavy step he exhaled, making his way through the paved pathways of the town of beginnings. The sun was still up, but was slowly beginning to set over the horizon. It seemed he'd begin his quest in darkness, not like he needed the sleep tonight anyway. Morgan dug his hands into his pockets, his cloak resting heavily on his shoulders as he made his way through the town. It seemed the temperature was beginning to drop.

As Morgan walked through the town the cobblestone bricking of the buildings surrounding him brisked past him, fading into the background before coming to a sign. The sign hung from the top of the building, a copper dingy sing depicting an alchemists flask. Morgan double checked his location on his field map to confirm he was at the right place, as someone so inexperienced it helped to be sure of what he was doing.

Morgan once again swiped away the map from his HUD and walked up the door of the facility, knocking three times with an unintentional amount of force. He wondered if the store would even still be open at this hour, but to his pleasant surprise, the light was still on. A small amount of shuffling came from behind the oaken door, and a voice called out. "Just a moment please." Locks and chains could be heard shifting before the door creaked open. "Come In."

The man who stood before him was old but charming, a friendly smile painted on his weathered face. Morgan looked above his head, Zeke, the NPC. Morgan reciprocated with a faint smile. It was about as much as he'd be willing to offer an artificial intelligence. "I'm here for the beginner lessons." Morgan noted. The man nodded as he entered. "Well of course, I don't usually have many visitors this late at night." Morgan smirked. "No I suppose you wouldn't, my apologies. Shall we commence then?" 

Zakariah nodded "Well alright then." Zakariah closed the door behind him and gestured Morgan to sit at his table with him. Morgan sunk his weight into the seat as he lowered himself. "One of the first things you should learn about the game is how to gather materials, and how to use them to craft items..." Zakariah continued over the next half hour explaining to Morgan the intricacies of gathering materials, where to find them, how to obtain them, etc. 

"Well that should be enough information to get you started, don't want to overload you all in one night. How about you go outside and gather me some herbs, bring em back and we'll get to work on crafting some potions for you. Sound good?" Zakariah opened up his posture with palms extended. "Yes, quite. I'll be back shortly then, hopefully you don't pass out on me old timer." Morgan smirked as he stood, straightening his cloak as he did. "Back in a jiff." Morgan pushed out from the alchemists store, and followed the shortest path to the exit. According to the geezer he'd be able to get some from just outside the towns gates, so far this game seemed simple enough. Though he knew he was just getting started.

As Morgan passed through the gates of the town for the first time in a about a year he looked around the walls, noticing some flowers among the overgrown weeds. Finding the material, check. Morgan shuffled over and knelt down into the weeds, rummaging through them until his fingers found the base of the flower and plucked it. "Simple enough." Just as soon as he spoke the flower dissipated between his fingers and he simply blinked in disbelief. "Huh, spoke too soon."

ID: 138337 LD: 4 = Fail

Edited by Morgan

Morgan shrugged off the randomly disappearing flower he picked and got to work on rummaging for another one. To be honest he felt rather ridiculous being reduced to some forager looking for flowers for some silly game potion, but at least it was at night where no one was around. If someone did catch him he'd probably feel flushed and embarrassed. This definitely had to be the most boring and mundane experience the game had to offer. "When is this gonna get interesting" He mumbled to himself as he attempted to pick another flower. This time plucking it much more elegantly than the last, due to his own distracting thoughts. 

Morgan watched the flower closely waiting for it to disappear, but to his pleasant surprise it did not. "Huh, how about that." He tucked it into his inventory and watched it become officially added to his collection of materials. "One down, four to go."

ID: 138350 LD: 20 = Success

Materials Gathered: 1

Edited by Morgan

Morgan moved over to a new patch of grass feeling that he now had the hang of things. "Alright well since I've got this done and dusted how about I speed things up a bit" He mumbled to himself. Morgan thought it'd be a good idea to grab a whole bunch of them at once, and so that's what he did. Morgan opened his large hands and swept it over the grass, picking up handfuls of flowers at a time. This would sure net him some usable material at least, or so he thought. One by one each flower in his hand disappeared before his eyes. "W-What?!" Morgan looked at the ground to try to see if he could find the flowers he had just gotten, but of course they weren't anywhere to be seen. "This is ridiculous". He uttered. His eye began to twitch as frustration flushed over his entire body.

ID: 138407 LD: 2=Fail

Materials Gathered: 1

Edited by Morgan

"Alright Morgan lets take it back from the top. Practice makes perfect right? So lets try this again." He reassured himself, regaining his composure. He wondered briefly what exactly he would do if he did blow his lid at something as trivial as picking flowers in a field. It seemed utterly mad to him, but that seemed to be what this game was especially good at doing. Driving people mad. He had heard stories of people jumping off the side of the first floor in disbelief that they would actually be stuck in the game forever. He sighed, he didn't want to end up as one of those players that just completely lost their minds. His fingers once again gently plucked at the base of a flower, tearing it cleanly off its stem without damage this time. "Well then, I guess I just gotta not be so angry about it."

ID: 138421  LD: 14 Success

Materials Gathered: 2

Edited by Morgan

Morgan moved onto the next patch of grass to find a flower that would be just as easy to harvest as the one he had just taken from the patch just further behind him. "Alright this time for sure I think i've got the right technique down." Though Zakariah did warn him there would always be a level of luck behind the process, he could reduce that level of luck through careful consideration and technique. In saying that Morgan successfully plucked yet another flower from the tall grass which hid his large frame. 'Very good then." He stated as he added the flower to his collection that was now rapidly expanding, just only two more and he'd be able to go back to the old man and attempt to craft himself a potion. It was a funny idea to think about that he himself was going to make something in the game that had a real effect on his life.

ID: 138424   LD: 19 success

Materials Gathered: 3

Edited by Morgan

Crafting a health potion would be just like making a tonic that extended ones real life even longer. It was an interesting concept to think about, everything you did in this game would directly affect your real life, as if to say this game was now their real life. But that wasn't something Morgan could exactly accept, because when the game was over he'd be back in his real body, and he'd have to return to his real life. "I suppose a priest that survived a death trap like this would make for a pretty inspirational story of their faith in God" He continued to talk to himself as he looked for the next flower to pluck, this time mildly distracted. Though what he said wasn't exactly indicative that he really believed in his faith, and that seemed to be supported by the flower randomly breaking his hands. Another sign that God was watching him. "Right.. I won't doubt you."

ID: 138425 LD: 5 Fail

Materials gathered: 3

Edited by Morgan

It seemed his reassurance in his belief and not to doubt God lead to him successfully picking his next flower, funny how that worked. He wondered just how much truth and effort went into these kinds of things. Well that was something to think about another time. He was now one material closer to completing the quest, and one material away from completing the quest. All he needed now was one more measly picked flower and he'd be able to move on and finish the damn thing. To be frank if this was how they introduced players to this game, they were doing a pretty lousy job keeping him hooked. Though when you have a gun to your head anything becomes motivation enough. Perhaps there were other things he could make apart from potions. Perhaps being a black smith would be nice, just like his grandfather, or so he was told. He'd have to looking it.

ID: 138426  LD: 14 Success

Materials gathered: 4

Edited by Morgan

Crickets made their songs as the night grew colder and darker. It seemed that morgan was outside way longer than he had anticipated he would be. This lead him to wonder just how long the NPC would be waiting for him back at the alchemy shop, and if he would still be able to turn in the quest tonight. "Hmm only one way to find out. But first... one more darn flower" Morgan said grumpily as he carelessly bent down in an attempt to pick his last flower. With a resounding pluck the flower didn't break, and so it was added to his collection along with the other four flowers, resting dainty in a small pouch by his waist. 

"Alright the quests says that should be enough for now. Time to get this back and start brewing some bee- err, potions." Was there a beer profession? If so that's probably what he'd rather be doing.

ID:138491  LD: 18 success

Materials gathered: 5/5

Edited by Morgan

Morgan picked himself up again and dusted off his pants, the path back to the gate was short, and the road back to the old mans shop was just as short. It didn't take long for Morgan to make his way back through the gates and back at the entrance of the store. Morgan once again knocked, more agressively than probably would be considered polite. But that was just from the weight of his hands, it was how he always knocked, never bearing mind to it. 

The door opened, surprisingly enough. "Do you ever sleep old man?" Morgan asked inquisitively, only half joking. The old man laughed, indeed he had a sense of humor. "Not when players are in need, no. Lucky for you huh?" Morgan shook his head and half smiled. The personalities the game provided for these A.Is was so realistic he couldn't believe it. "Alright then, how about we get started on making those potions huh?" 

"Come this way then, to my alchemy table young man." Zakariah spoke. Morgan chuckled in a game filled with kids it wasn't every day that he would get called young man, though he was only twenty six. "Alright, teach me what all this crafting and potion nonsense is about." Zakariah nodded. "Very well listen up then, this is what you need to know about crafting in our world..." 

About an hour passed as Zakariah attempted to wrangle Morgans thick mind around the sciences and ways to craft potions, of course it would be easy to just teach him from a game mechanic point of view. No of course Morgan had to learn about it the convoluted way that made him want to rip his hair out. No matter, it eventually clicked for him. "So I open my menu like this... and click the crafting skill. AH. Here we go." 

Morgan attempted his first craft with the materials he picked, and not very astoundingly, it failed, blowing up in his hands. 

ID: 138492 CD: 2 = Fail

Req: 1 potion

Edited by Morgan

Morgan grimaced as he wiped the icky potion residue that exploded on him off his black cloak. Zakariah shook his head "You forgot to brew the potion before adding the material into the flask. Try again." He encouraged the clearly disgruntled man. "Oh, right. I got ahead of myself there I think." Right, Morgan THOUGHT he had the hang of things, he could never really be sure. 

"No matter attempt two then." Morgan tried again, this time keeping the solution over heat while it sat in the glass, bubbling just right enough for him to add the material into it. He took the flask quickly off the bunsen burner to allow it to cool while it fused with the material making a red solution inside the flask. Just like a health potion in literally any game ever. How proper. Morgan swirled the flask around half expecting it to blow up in his face. "I guess you can call this a success then?" He asked nonchalantly. 

ID: 138493 CD: 12 Perfect success

Edited by Morgan

Zakariah looked at him with a mixture of disbelief, amusement, and pride. "Well, yes I suppose a perfect potion is technically success. Very well done for your second attempt I must say. You should be proud of such an achievement." Morgan swished the contents around in the flask looking at liquid, rather unimpressed. 

"Hmm, well I'll take your word for it then." Morgan placed the flask back on the table. "Is that all then?" Zakariah shook his head. "Of course not young lad, this is just the beginning for you. Your next stop will be the blacksmith. Lyel tealeaf. Speak to him and he will teach you how to craft like a blacksmith." Morgan nodded his head along. "Alright alright I get it then. I guess I gotta do this for all the professions or something. Jeez what about combat or literally any other important feature to the game. How about beer can I make that?"

Zakariah laughed. "Well yes I suppose a cook could make beer. However that's a matter for another time. Go now and seek out Lyel, or maybe wait until the morning that might be better. I'm sure he's sleeping right now." Morgan nodded in response. "Fair enough then. Thanks for the help old man. Take care." Morgan lifted a carefree hand, singalling his depature as he walked out the store. "Oh yes before you go, take these." Morgan turned to see the man holding out for him a bunch of different potions. "They will help you on your journey." 

Morgan complied, taking the potions and adding them to his inventory, as he did the quest completed, and his level increased. "Huh, guess I'm not a level one newbie like the rest of the townsfolk that just ridiculed me." Morgan made his way to the tavern for the night, using some of the col he earned to buy him some rest. 

When morning rolled around he was already on his way to Lyels workshop. The black smith stood, looking impatially at him as he pounded on heated iron.