[PP F6] Seeya <<The Gemini>>

Before Rosary could enter the blacksmth’s shop to start the second leg on her newbie adventure, she was stopped by a young girl and immediately dragged away. She followed along because the girl was adamant about her coming along. She was just a child after all, it would be alright wouldn’t it? Val had not considered however that perhaps the child was taking her some place far stronger players could be waiting for her.

She arrived at her destination and was met by Firm Anima. It was then she realized she might have been a bit hasty in following the girl as she was indeed surrounded by much higher level players, her unrealized fear, now a reality.  They set to work and they decked her out with everything possible. She didn’t know what she needed but she gave them her basic idea and they ran with it. There was one thing she’d especially asked for: Her mother’s rosary, her rosary.  It was absolutely beautiful, almost more than the real thing. “Thank you,” she said gratefully to them as she pressed the rosary to her chest feeling that the world was almost right.

Almost.

She drank both potions as she was told to do. "Bottoms up!" she said as she knocked them back. 

Mmmmm... Cherry flavored.

Rosary consumes Immolation potion as well as Potion of Iron Flesh increasing her mitigation from 18 to 28 and gives her +10 thorns unmitigated damage during a non-crit attack

Rosary uses 1 Yui’s gift and earns +1 additional SP at the end of her RP

Spoiler

Equipment and Consumables

La Espina (Shield) +2 Mit (+18)  +1 THORNS (9)

La Madre Rosario (trinket) +3 ACC

Little Bits +2 DMG

Immolation Potion (+10 THORNS)  USED

Potion of Iron Flesh (+10 MIT) USED

Rosary Stats

LV: 4

HP: 80

EN: 8

DMG: 4

MIT: 28 (+18 MIT from Shield +10 MIT Immolation Potion)

ACC: 3

EVA: 0

Thorns: + 19 Unmitigated Damage on non-crit attacks from opponent

Gemini's Stats

HP: 40

DMG: 20

MIT:  7

ACC: 3

EVA: 0

Critical Hits: DMG + (4) on a natural MD 9, DMG + (8) on a natural MD 10

<<Disguise>>: +1 ACC to <<The Gemini>>'s first attack.

As Rosary has consumed 2 potions, Gemini will gain the abilities of Paralyze and Bleed

1: Gain Paralyze: Removes player action for one turn on natural MD rolls of 9-10.

2: Gain Bleed: Deals (12 * Player's Tier) unmitigated damage every turn for two rounds on natural MD rolls of 9-10.

Edited by Rosary

They’d gotten her geared. They created a plan based on her player stats. They gave her potions to help her along. They even mapped out a route for her to find her next quest. They said they wanted to help, and they really honestly meant it. They were simply incredible! She told them she would gladly pay for their services, but they would have none of it. Instead she worked out another deal, one all parties were happy with. “The Gemini, huh?” It was decided that she would go face off with her doppelganger. “Sounds easy enough,” She said and head out and thanked her mysterious benefactors profusely and was then sent on her way.  Never in her life did she think she’d meet anything akin to Santa Claus and his merry little elves. Yet Christmas came early for Valerie this year.

Val made her way to floor 6. She debated what to do from here. Should she look around? Try out her new equipment, or should she just get to the task at hand. She figured Santa and the elves had done such an amazing job decking her out, the least she could do was start when they had intended her to.

Gemini wasted no time and threw off its cloak revealing that it was now Rosary. The woman had been prepared for this, but still it was a remarkable thing to see. “Well, I’ll be damned…” Valerie laughed and shook her head. The resemblance was uncanny. “Indeed you will be…” The Gemini curled it’s lip and then charged her at full speed its blade focused directly on the woman before it.

ID 138486    +2 MD

Gemini has +3 Accuracy +1 Accuracy Bonus for first attack (2+3+1=6   success)

Gemini successfully hits Rosary for 1 HP    (20 Dmg – 28 Mit = 1 default HP)

Gemini takes +19 unmitigated DMG from Rosary’s Thorns

Gemini was successful. Her blade came down upon Rosary, and Rose raised her shield near glancing the blow, but the tip of its blade grazed Valerie’s cheek and a single HP was taken off her life counter. Bramble shot out from her shield and from herself and lashed out at her doppelganger cutting it up for a good chunk of its hit points. Valerie doubled over in laugher. Was this really going to be so easy? Gemini was stunned. “Didn’t expect that did you?” Valerie giggled some more.

“Alrighty then, it’s my turn…”

Gemini

HP:   21/40     (40-19DMG= 21)     +1 Hate

Rosary

HP:  79/80     (80- 1DMG=79)

Edited by Rosary
oh my lord i forgot how much work this is!

Valerie raised her weapon and went in for the attack. Once she was in range she swung her weapon and launched her first ever attack. The woman wasn’t even sure she was doing this right, but honestly at this point it didn’t matter. This process was going to be trial by fire. "This is little bits," Valerie held out her sword showing it to her enemy. “I named is as such because it’s exactly what it’s going to do to you. Soon you're going to be little bits...”

ID 138487    +4 BD

Rosary has +3 Accuracy

Rosary attacks for +7 BD using Snake Bite and Hits Gemini for 12 HP   (4 dmg * 3 attack= 12)

Gemini has 7 Mit and only takes 5 DMG

Little Bits activated and Rosary used an attack called Snake Bite. She slashed at the Gemini with the brisk angled slashed across the mob’s body and hacked more health points out of the thing. Rose was jostled by the attack and from under her blouse, her rosary appeared. Gemini put a hand to her mouth and giggled darkly. “You still have THAT after everything you said?” The Gemini spat. Valerie grit her teeth and shook her head. “Shut up…” she said angrily.

Gemini

HP:   16/40     (21-5DMG= 16)     +1 Hate

Rosary

HP:  79/80     (80- 1DMG=79)      Energy 5/8     (8-3 snake bite= 5)  +1 Hate

Edited by Rosary
ack... sooo long

Gemini realized she’d hit a nerve. “After all this time you still can’t get over your problems with God? What are you, some kind of stubborn child throwing a temper tantrum because you can’t have your way?”

“Shut up!” Val growled again. “That’d none of your [censored] business.”

“Of course it’s my business,” her opponent smirked. “I’m you remember?”

With that Gemini came at her again.

ID 138489    +5 BD

Gemini has +3 Accuracy  (5+3=8   success)

Gemini successfully hits Rosary for 1 HP    (20 Dmg – 28 Mit = 1 default HP)

Gemini takes +19 unmitigated DMG from Rosary’s Thorns

Once more Gemini strike her, but the attack barely phased Rosary and only another single life point fell away. Once more a tangle of vines and thorns lashed out at the Gemini knocking the enemy down to one measly life point. Even so she kept taunting Valerie.

“You have no idea what you’re talking about!” Rosary snapped.

“Oh but I do. Wanting to fight with God? Wanting to tear Heaven down with your own two hands… who in their right mind even thinks stuff like this up but children. Mad little children throwing temper tantrums.” Gemini smiled cruelly.

Gemini

HP:   1/40     (16-15DMG= 1)     +2 Hate

Rosary

HP:  79/80     (80- 1DMG=79)      Energy 5/8     (8-3 snake bite= 5)  +1 Hate

Edited by Rosary

Valerie clenched Little Bits tightly in her hand and grit her teeth grinding them together. She was seething, and so much so a swirling aura of loathing, though invisible and intangible could wholly be felt through the tension in the air. Valerie could kill her! Cut out her tongue for given breath to the thoughts in her mind and allowing them to escape into the open air for anyone to hear. The woman gripped her blade so tightly that it quivered in her hand and shook violently. Those thoughts were private and between Valerie and God, it was not for anyone else including this monster.

“What are you waiting for? I know you want to finish me. I can see it. I know what you are… a monster. You’re a monster! You think you can just run away from who you are? You can’t. You never will. So go ahead… DO IT!”

Valerie felt something in her rising up. A sickening hateful feeling she hadn’t felt in years. She wanted to snap, to walk up to her tormentor and bitch slap it out of existence. But she couldn’t. Not because she was better than the Gemini, no. There was something she still needed from it and she was not about to give the damned thing its way. It wanted her to finish it off. Valerie trembled and out from deep within her she let out a terrible scream and she leaned her head back bellowing into the sky and dropping her weapon.

She only finished her scream because she’d run out of breath. “No,” Valerie said releasing her weapon from her hand and letting it hit the ground with a clank. “I won’t. You’ll give me what I came here for. Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to kill you on the spot, but you have what I need and that is the Concentration skill.”

Gemini let out an amused chuckle as it reverted back to the hooded figure it originally was. “If that is your answer, then who am I to argue?” It spoke. “Very well then, the skill is yours” It said as the <<Quest Complete>> “Your mind is a very messy place…” Gemini said giving her some parting words.

The woman bent over and picked up her sword as Gemini spoke, and Val pursed her lips together.“Yeah, but thoughts are thoughts and they don’t mean much, like my therapist says, so [censored] off!” Valerie picked up her sword and turned around to give Gemini the finger. The hooded figure cracked a smile and then walked away, back into the dense jungle from whence it came. Rosary too disappeared down the path she walked on her head swimming with things she had not thought about in a long time, too long a time perhaps.

GEMINI HAS BEEN DEFEATED

ROSARY LEARNS CONCENTRATION

The woman stared down at the virgin and baby Jesus as she reflexively wrapped the rosary around her hand as she’d always done and she rubbed an Our Father bead between her fingers as her mind wandered off elsewhere.

SAO?” Valerie said as she stirred the pot of soup she had on the stove. “What in the world is that?”

“God mom… you’re such a dork,” Dork. A word she’d often heard from the young teen time and time again. Yes folks, her child found her super lame. “It’s a game. The coolest one ever made. Please can I have it? For my birthday... It would be the coolest present you’ve ever gotten me.” Her oldest daughter, Shannon, huffed. “I’m going to be like the only kid without one.”

“I highly doubt that,” Valerie replied as she took a spoon out from the silverware drawer and dipped it into her soup. She brought up a bit of broth and blew on it before giving it a quick sip testing it for flavor. “Need more salt,” she reached into the cupboard beside her grabbing up the iodized salt and pouring a tad more into the pot and giving it a good stir before giving it another test. “Perfect.”

Edited by Rosary

“Moooom,” Shannon complained. “Are you even listening?”

“Of course I am. It’s just I’ve read stuff about those dive gear things and they sound dangerous.”

“OH … MY… GOD… MOM! You can’t believe everything you read on Facebook!”

“Excuse me,” Val turned around to her daughter and put her hands on her hips. I haven’t used Facebook in over like five years I’ll have you know. I read in on one of those tech blogs. I don’t now Shan. Let me do some more research and I’ll think on it? Okay?”

“Thanks mom, youre the best,” The young girl rushed her mother hugging her around the middle. Valerie was always the best and no longer a dork when she agreed to Shan’s wishes. She rolled her eyes and shook her head, hugging the girl back. “Alright, alright,” She said shooing her oldest out of the kitchen.

“Let me cook in peace now.”

It was some time later, but Shannon got her wish, they were near sold on of nervegears and copies of SAO. She had to go all the way to Sapporo to get it and it was one of the last ones left, but she managed it. Shannon was exstatic “You’re best mom ever!” The girl cheered and bounced about.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself Shan, I still have to test this thing out. If I don’t like this game… if it’s too violent or has overtly sexual content, you are not going to be able to play it? You understand?”

“Yeah, yeah,” she fussed.

Really, she ought to be used to this sort of thing by now. Valerie was always like this.

“Fine!” She stamped out of the room and that was the end of that conversation.

She looked over at her youngest who just offered her a bright smile. She and her little one, Teresa, busted out laughing over Shannon’s teenage drama.

It was the day of Sao’s launch and Valerie had set up the nerve gear as the directions showed. “Well that wasn’t so hard.” She was surprised, she expected to need a technician to come and install the hardware, but it was so simple even Teresa could’ve done it. She honestly could’ve done if faster. Val sat at her desk and tapped her fingers against the wood surface.

“Shan…” she called out.

“What’s up?” her daughter popped in from the hallway.

“Help me think of a character.”

“Well what do you want to be?” Shannon tilted her head and smirked. She always enjoyed being an expert at something her mom didn’t quite understand.

“I was thinking like a ranger?”

“Oh God, Mom! This isn’t Lord of the Rings this is SAO! You’ve got to be some kind of badass… like with a sword!”

“But rangers have swords!” Valerie protested.

Shannon crossed her arms in front of her into an X and made a buzzer sound. “No, try again!”

Valerie leaned her arm against the wooden desk and tapped her fingers against her cheek “What about a shield maiden of the Rohirrim? I can even name her Eowyn.”

“Is that the one that helped kill that demon king on at dead dragon thing?”

“The King of the Nazgul… yes, that’s the one.”

“NO! YOU CANNOT DO THAT! GOD MOM STOP BEING SUCH A DORK!”

“Then what do you suggest, Shan?” Maybe her kid has better ideas about what was cool.”

“I don’t know!” The girl threw her hands up in the air, “ just anything but that.”

“Fine? But can I at least be a shield maiden? They’re badass bitches with swords.”

“Yeah, mom whatever. Just don’t name her something dumb like Eowyn? Okay? Please?”

“Alright, alright, message received, “ she sighed, dejected over her brilliant idea. “Name… need a name…” she scanned the room for inspiration and she found it hanging on her wall.  

Rosary…

“Hey kiddo? What if I called her Rosary?”

“Like that thing over there?” Shannon pointed to the Rosary that hung on the wall “You want to name yourself after that thing you never use? Mom, you’re like barely Catholic…”

“I think it’s a pretty name though. I doubt it’ll be taken. I’m going to use it.” She said resolutely.

“Whatever mom, you’re such a dork!” And with that Shannon exited stage left.

The lovely brunette got up out of her seat and she walked over to the Rosary on the wall. It was pretty but cheaply made. It was made of alternating lighter and darker purple crystals made of glass for the Hail Mary prayers, and the Our Fathers were cheap small circular merino glass bead with tiny roses round the circumference of the beads. The centerpiece was the virgin cuddling the baby Jesus placed over a rose which made the background of the piece. It ended in a beautiful crucifix. None of the metals were of value, and the rosary was cheaply made, but it was beautiful all the same.

Val carfully took the rosary off the wall and wrapped it around her hand as she’d done many times before. Gently, she rubbed the first Our Father bead between her fingers instinctively. This was a thing she has done, many, many times before.

It was true what her daughter had said Val had lost her faith in God. Lost her faith wasn’t exactly the right terms. More like she and God, if they ever met, they were going to fight. Well rather, Valerie was going to start a fight. And if she got smote, well then good; it was the very least God could do for her after all the [censored] he had put her through. Her children knew little about it other than their mother despite having been raised as a Catholic. And for them, this was an acceptable answer as they preferred to skip mass stating that it was entirely too long.

Val’s eyes glazed over and her mind went somewhere, but for all intents and purposes, it was blank. She did that every so often; go somewhere and not know where. She just knew that something in her mind would stop, her exe file would crash and she be lost somewhere until something would grab her attention.

“Mom… you alright?” Teresa came over and put her small hand on Valerie’s back.

“Huh? Oh I’m fine baby… Mommy is fine.” She pet the child’s dirty blonde hair. “I’m fine… Come on. Help mommy get the nervegear going so mommy can check stuff out before that big thing later so Shannon doesn’t miss it.” She held on to the Rosary and went to set up to log in to her very first dive.  

Rosary blinked realizing her mind had wandered off again as she’d been starting down at her rosary. She wondered if the damn thing was still in her hand wherever she was.

“That’s just silly,” Rose shook her head and said aloud. Of course her Rosary had not been in her hand the last two years. At some point it’d been removed, even if to just clean her hand. She unwound the thing and put it back around her neck and tucked it under her top. It was too lovely a piece to go unnoticed by poachers and she did not want to lose it. Not that they’d know what the damn thing was for anyway. To them it’d look like some sort of weird religious necklace. Even she’d been wearing it in such a way although it was no proper usage of it. Most found it a downright sin to wear it as she was. Still others found that if worn as a reminder to be devotional and pray the rosary then it was okay. Is that why she’d had the damned thing made? Was she looking for God again?

Was it just all on a whim? Maybe. Maybe she was looking for a familiar item, something that reminded her of home and what was waiting back there in the real world for her. Maybe it wasn’t a devotional to God as much as it was a devotional of home. Shannon would be 18 soon and Teresa near would be 12. She had missed so many years with them and not a day went by that she did not feel guilt for leaving them behind. Not that she had meant to. She was trapped as the rest of them had been that day. She was glad that it had been her and not her daughter. Would Shannon have managed to survive such a place? It was not a thought she wanted to face knowing in her heart that the foolish girl would somehow get herself killed. No, it was better that she was here and not her daughter.

“Focus,” Valerie told herself. Her mind had been all over the place when she should’ve been observing her surroundings. She was still lost somewhere in the jungle, not safe back in town. Out here lost in thought she was the perfect mark for mobs or player killers to take her out before she even noticed. That would not do. Not when those kids back in town depended on her, and her own children were back home waiting for her. Nope, she was going to make her way out of here and back to town and find a pub she could drown her sorrows in. Not that the alcohol did anything which was a shame. She needed something to numb the pain. Still, the act of getting drunk would have to be good enough. Perhaps she could find someone to comfort her a few hours before heading back home. It’d been awhile she she’d had that kind of attention.

It had begun to rain as she finally found her way back to Krycim, the main city on this floor. The water was warm and somehow felt cleansing. It washed over her taking with it those thoughts and feels that had been plaguing her since finishing the Gemini. She could not be preoccupied with such things. Not if she meant to survive. There was no point in thinking of home and feeling guilty about not being there. She was liable to end up a tower jumper if she fell into that kind of despair. No, now was the time to be grateful. Grateful to be alive, grateful to have survived Gemini, grateful for the rain, grateful for every moment she would have in this world.

Valerie turned her palms up and her face to the sky and closed her eyes standing there the warm rain with a serene smile across her lips.

She was okay.

Everything from here out was going to be okay.

She had faith.