[F23 - PP Shield & Pinball] <<Search and Rescue>>

Spoiler

Searching for Chest - ID# 150863 results: Loot: 12+5=17 [Chest found]

Shield might be tall and broad, but he had spent countless hours grinding against enemies, some of them with blinding speed, to improve his own reflexes. He was off after Pinball before the other player had even made his third step, using his long strides to his advantage.

You don't get to get away that easy.

Before he even had a game plan, his hand was on Pinball's back collar, pulling him to a stop and whipping him around. "Stop," he said gruffly, standing to his full height. "Just stop it. Now I don't know what happened with those players you mentioned, but I don't recognize the kid in front of me right now." The tone of his voice was scathing, and he cracked his words like a whip. "You can run away from me if you want, but I know what an orange cursor does to a player in this game. I'm one of the few people you're gonna run into who's not afraid of that cursor."

He leaned closer, picking his words carefully so that Pinball would not miss any of them. "I see what you're doing," he said, shaking his head. "Wording things to cast your actions into the worst light, to make yourself irredeemable, and then trying to slink away as soon as you're able, even when the player you're with is inviting you to stick around just a little longer." There was a flare to his nostrils and a sharp angle to his eyebrow. "If you want to retreat from me, that's fine. Your call, but you don't get to make up my mind for me about you. That's my right, not yours."

Shield took a step back and released Pinball. "When you decide to wise up and stop running away, you let me know, because running away isn't going to get us out of here." This wasn't the sort of speech to make someone immediately change their mind. It might even just make Pinball angry in the mean time. However, all Shield wanted to do was leave the younger player with something he'd remember - to plant the proverbial worm in his ear to burrow into his brain and not leave him alone. He didn't know if this seed was going to take root, but he had to try. Over Pinball's shoulder, Shield could see a treasure chest hiding in the rough stone of the underdark. He'd deal with that in a moment once Pinball left. For now, he couldn't back down from the challenge he had issued.

Edited by Shield

For some reason, Pinball never would have guessed Shield was fast enough to grab him by the back of his collar. Evidently, though, he should have, because that's what happened - yanked back, Pinball's expression was one of bewilderment, his eyes not quite seeing the tank responsible for cutting off his escape. The words hit too close to home. It felt like Shield was trying to pull and rip him apart at the seams. And it did. 

His face quickly warping from one of confusement to a look of anger, Pinball would shrug and push him off just as Shield had decided to let him go. He wanted to say something. Such a blatant denial of everything he'd said surely warranted a rebuttal, didn't it? But nothing came to mind. And maybe that was how it was supposed to be. 

With a flippant and aggressive shake of his head, Pinball waved the man off before storming into the city, careful to keep the guards in his peripheral, not too keen on the idea of having to walk all the way up to the next floor. At least, as long as he could avoid it. 

Spoiler

Opening Chest - ID# 150910 results Loot: 12+7=19

• [16-20] = (Floor * 150) Col, (8) materials, perfect armor/shield, (2) rare consumables

Shield watched as Pinball stormed off and into the town. He had done what he hoped to do: leave an impression. It could be that his actions drove a wedge between them, but it wouldn't be worse than the avoidance that Pinball had seemed determined to do. Maybe he hated Shield right now. Still, he would remember those words, and buried in those words, under the criticism and the overtly direct delivery was a message that would hopefully start to sink in.

"You're not alone."

It was done, whatever it was, and for now, Shield turned his attention to the chest that he had spotted. He stepped over to it and knelt down, taking out one of the keys which he kept stacked in his inventory to help him open it. He held the key out in front of the lock and watched as the key vanished, dissolving into glittering gold dust as the lid of the chest popped open. A display window appeared, showing the contents of the container. "Not a bad haul. Looks like I accomplished more today than I had originally planned."

By now, he figured Pinball had enough of a head start that their paths wouldn't cross in town, and he made his way back towards the warp gate. Part way through town, Fonsa and Tethyn tracked him down and went through the usual - the thank you's and the respectful bows and the like, but they also gave him an invitation to take part in a 'part two.' He accepted the quest and was on his way. He made a mental note though to send Pinball the details in a few hours, once he was safely home.

[QUEST REWARDS]

[Shield]

3 SP [1 quest, 1 page, 1 quarantine]
4,250 Col [200 1 page, 600 quest, 3,450 chest]
8 T3 Materials
Perfect T3 Armors/Shields

[150910a]
Rare T3 Consumables
[150910b] [150910c]

[Pinball]

5 SP [1 quest, 1 page, 1 quarantine, 2 mega slime farm]
800 Col [200 1 page, 600 quest]