[PP-F6] Banquet Above, Feast Below

Ear shattering wails reverberated in the hall before them. The remaining Kingsguard seemingly mourning their fallen comrades as they advanced towards the spearman. Their blades danced through the air vehemently. The nearest guard showered his armor in sparks. The further one spewed maggots in his direction before leaping towards him. Prepared to deflect its blow while holding the other guard off, Oikawa was surprised to see a blur of motion dive into incoming attack. Blinking, Oikawa pushed the fifth guard off and watched as Crozeph drove the the sixth into the wall.

Snapping its maw at Crozeph, the sixth guard managed to out maneuver the noirette and pin  him to the wall. Though he took in a sharp breath and grunted from the attack, it seemed the damage was negligible to his health bar. Oikawa's eyes darted about. The fifth guard still seemed to be regaining itself and Mari was still somewhere behind him. Spinning around he located the girl, but the sight behind her stole his attention.

"You return only to bring back another pair of traitors"

Like a ghastly projection, a face emerged from the wall behind her. Swollen crimson colored eyes locked on to her. A crown, tilted in its seating, sat atop his head. It was the king from the painting. He seemed fixated on Mari. His presence emanating from his projection alone. The feeling of chilling despair loomed over them.

"Mother!"

The word rolled out. Enveloping them in fear and confusion. Oikawa begged his body to move, but he remained planted as Crozeph called out to him. He was aware, but couldn't fix his mouth to answer either. Then the King vanished. The weight of darkness suddenly peeled off of them and Oikawa felt his intangible restrictions lessen. He wanted to check on Mari, but his attention was brought back to the guards as their wailing continued. Turning back, the guards had begun to circle him again. Drawing his spear, he yet again executed another whirling sweep around. His spear punctured the fifth guard once again activating his bleed and paralysis.

Looking back, he let his eyes find Mari's. She was still shaken up. But he pleaded with his own. Non-verbally asking her if she was going to be alright.

ROLLS:

ID: 150794 BD: 12 (10 + 3 - 1) [Critical Charged Weeping Moon on CK 2: 19 + 5 + 2 = 26 x 9 = 234 - 40 = 194] CD: 1 [Recovery Not Activated] (-11 EN) [Paralytic Venom Activated] [Bleed Activated]

ID: 150795 BD: 8 (6 + 3 - 1) [Charged Weeping Moon on CK 2: 19 + 5 = 24 x 9 = 216 - 40 = 176] CD: 7 [Recovery Activated] (-2 EN) (+3 EN)

Spoiler

Party:

• [H: -/-/-/-/0/0 ] Crozeph: 500/500 | EN: 46/50 | DMG: 12 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | SVY: +2 | RGN: +2 | BLD: 1 | LD: +2
  • [H: -/-/-/-/9/9 ] Oikawa: 1365/1410 | EN: 114/138 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 61 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 0 | SR: +5 | BLD: 36 | PV(O): +1 | FL AURA: 20 | LM: +2 | REC: +3 (+1 EN) (-10 EN)
  • [H: -/-/-/-/0/0 ] Mari: 1410/1410  | EN: 136/138 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 6 | EVA: 3 | BH: 67 | BRN: 24 | BLD: 24 | FL AURA: 15

Enemies:

• Corrupted Kingsguard 1: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-131 HP)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 2: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-149 HP)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 3: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-131 HP) (-36 Bleed) [PAR: 1/1][BLD: 2/2]
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 4: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-131 HP) (-20 Flame Aura) [PAR: 1/1]
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 5: 30/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-194 HP) (-36 Bleed) [PAR: 1/1][BLD: 1/2] (-20 Flame Aura)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 6: 124/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-176 HP)
  • Loyal Insanity: All the Kingsguard view Oikawa as some kind of traitor to the King and thus all Hate is focused on him. Attacking the statues changes the hate but missing twice in a row on attacking will return their Hate to Oikawa.

@Mari @Crozeph

Edited by Oikawa

Mari didn't dare turn to look behind her - she couldn't see it, but she was very aware of it. The king in the painting. She felt the feathery touch of nails scraping against her bare shoulder as the King had reached out to her. She felt heavy, she felt out of breath - she flinched as a voice reverberated around the room. Screaming at her - Mother! Such a word, it carried venom, piercing Mari's heart - flowing through her blood, paralyzing her with that single word.

Get up, Get up. Get up. Get up

Mari slowly pushed herself to her feet, first one leg, then the other. A part of her knew she should have gone for the one with more health - that was her role, that was what she had always done, but fear had taken its hold. Gnarly claws that dug into her psyche - it was a wonder that Mari was even able to hit anything at all. Even so...Mari had just helplessly drove her dagger into the nearest one; despite the heavy weight of an unrelenting fear she had to fight on. This dungeon was messing with here in more ways than she expected. She wasn't like this. She could do better. Would do better.

The Corrupted Kingsguard gurgled as Mari shoved her dagger into the gap between his shoulder blades - his head swiveled around, cracking and snapping till soulless pockets where its eyes should have been stared down at her.  "Mother!"  It cried out before exploding. Why....Why were they calling her that? Why? Why? It shook her to hear something call her that. No...Mari wasn't ....she....

Mari took several shaky steps back, till her back hit the painted portrait where the king sat. She wanted to tell the others that she was struggling, that she couldn't do this and needed help. But...every time Mari had called out for help. No one came. Mari forced her shaking eyes shut. The last time she had called out for help...

She was met with nothing but an apathetic look - cold eyes that disregarded her as they turned away from her. This would be no different. She couldn't ask for help. She was meant to be a pillar. She was meant to hold others up. Mari couldn't. Wouldn'tPush it down. Just keep pushing it down.

"Mother....?"  Mari questioned aloud, rising shaking hands to clasp at her heart to try and calm the beating. "Why..." She asked. She figured, if that king, that festering corrupted and corrosive king was watching, he'd be able to hear her, right? He'd answer her, right?  

@Crozeph @Oikawa

•  Passive: +1 En +67 BH   (Negative 1 to BD because she scared as balls)
    Action: Eternal Cyclone > 18+2=20 x 13= 260 -40=220
    ID: 150799 BD: 10 CRITICAL
  • [H: -/-/-/-/0/0 ] Crozeph: 500/500 | EN: 46/50 | DMG: 12 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | SVY: +2 | RGN: +2 | BLD: 1 | LD: +2
  • [H: -/-/-/-/9/9 ] Oikawa: 1365/1410 | EN: 114/138 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 61 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 0 | SR: +5 | BLD: 36 | PV(O): +1 | FL AURA: 20 | LM: +2 | REC: +3 (+1 EN) (-10 EN)
  • [H: -/-/-/-/0/0 ] Mari: 1410/1410  | EN: 127/138 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 6 | EVA: 3 | BH: 67 | BRN: 24 | BLD: 24 | FL AURA: 15

Enemies:

• Corrupted Kingsguard 3: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-131 HP) (-36 Bleed) [PAR: 1/1][BLD: 2/2]
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 4: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-131 HP) (-20 Flame Aura) [PAR: 1/1]
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 5: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-194 HP) (-36 Bleed) [PAR: 1/1][BLD: 1/2] (-20 Flame Aura)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 6: 124/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-176 HP)
  • Loyal Insanity: All the Kingsguard view Oikawa as some kind of traitor to the King and thus all Hate is focused on him. Attacking the statues changes the hate but missing twice in a row on attacking will return their Hate to Oikawa.
Edited by Mari

Another of the kingsguard was dealt with and one remaining to finish off. This one was different from the others, the sixth one kept on grinning while it fights, the only time it changed expression was when Crozeph intercepted its plunging attack on Oikawa but as soon as the kingsguard incapacitated Crozeph it returned its attention to the spear wielder. Its attack was more precise and unlike the fifth one who went on a rampage at the sight of its fallen comrades, the sixth was more of a battle-hungry soldier. Three quick thrusts at Oikawa and a wide slash reaching his shoulder. The blows were powerful but it was evident that it meant little to Oikawa, had it been Crozeph, the kingsguard would've killed him quickly. After dealing several blows to the spear wielder, the last kingsguard jumped back, its arms stretched out and challenging Oikawa to a duel mockingly.

As its hand kept on gesturing on challenging Oikawa, Crozeph dashed forward with speed and aimed at the neck of their last opponent. His attack was fast but the kingsguard was already on guard. With a quick swing of its sword, Crozeph's attack was blocked, the kingsguard didn't even have to make wide movements but rather blocked every slashed by adjusting the angle of its sword as a guard. Crozeph tried one more time to make an attack meet but the kingsguard stretched its other arm and attempted a lariat at Crozeph. the raven-haired player blocked it but the force was strong enough to send him back. Crozeph rolled once and was able to recover and stood up quickly beside Oikawa, Crozepg had the sharpest cutting weapon but the soldier had a weapon and a set of programmed skills to counter an eastern-oriented weapon.

"How are you holding up?" he asked his friend beside him "I'm practically useless against that kind of skill set plus that kingsguard..." the last enemy mocked Oikawa again, challenging him to duel "... it's challenging you" he told him. "This place, it's trying its best to immerse us with its theme" he muttered as he kept his eyes on the kingsguard. Crozeph failed so many attacks, if it wasn't for Oikawa dominating the battlefield, they would be in a more difficult situation. He raised his hand to his ear while still holding his katana "I don't know how long I can keep telling myself it's just a dungeon, I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you finish the..." his voice was broken by a loud wail from the kingsguard in front of them, it was growing impatient, it was thirsty for a duel from Oikawa "tch..."

• Corrupted Kingsguard ID: 150897 MD: 7 success I dealt 72  - 61 MIT = 11 damage to Oikawa
  • Crozeph ID: 150896 BD: 1 + 2 = 3 fail
  • H: -/-/-/-/0/0 ] Crozeph: 500/500 | EN: 44/50 | DMG: 12 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | SVY: +2 | RGN: +2 | BLD: 1 | LD: +2
  • [H: -/-/-/-/9/9 ] @Oikawa: 1365/1410 | EN: 114/138 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 61 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 0 | SR: +5 | BLD: 36 | PV(O): +1 | FL AURA: 20 | LM: +2 | REC: +3 (+1 EN) (-10 EN)
  • [H: -/-/-/-/0/0 ] @Mari : 1410/1410  | EN: 138/138 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 6 | EVA: 3 | BH: 67 | BRN: 24 | BLD: 24 | FL AURA: 15

Enemies:

• Corrupted Kingsguard 5: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-194 HP) (-36 Bleed) [PAR: 1/1][BLD: 1/2] (-20 Flame Aura)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 6: 124/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-176 HP)
Edited by Crozeph
  • 3 weeks later...

The scene swirled around him. Back and forth he was torn between dealing with the final Kingsguard and wanting to tear away to check on Mari. Crozeph had done his best to keep the minion at bay, but his attacks fell on quicker reflexes and stronger A.I. mechanics than the noirette was ready for. Oikawa couldn't fault him for trying however. After all, he was still courageous enough to try despite his efforts being futile thus far.

The brunette steeled himself. The flurry of blows tore into him as the Kingsguard released relentless attacks. Though small nicks, Oikawa could feel the intent to kill with each slash of its blade. This Kingsguard was definitely different from the rest. It thirsted for battle. However, Oikawa had his own plans and eliminating the final guardsman was priority number one.

As Crozeph recovered from the knock-back of the guards attack, he wondered if Oikawa was doing alright. Weirdly, Oikawa was doing fine. He was more worried about them than himself. "I'm fine. This place rubs me the wrong way in so many ways, but keeping you and Mari safe is my only concern. As for you," he paused gesturing to the remaining knight. "You are done here," he exclaimed as he rushed past Crozeph and executed three whipping swipes on the creature. Swapping the spear tip for the hilt, he thrust the back end of his blade into the Kingsguard causing it to shatter into dust and polygons. The wailing creature fading into nothing as the dust settled.

Expelling a long overdue breath, Oikawa turned to Crozeph and nodded to him. "Are you okay? How are you holding up?" He let the question hang briefly as he made his way to Mari. the unsettling look of fear still ingrained into her has she hugged herself. Words fell from her lips but fell uneasily on them as it was rather incoherent and low. Kneeling down, he brought her head to his chest and rocked with her to calm her down.

"I'm not sure what that insolent King was on about but Crow and I are still here. We are still with you."

ROLLS:

ID: 152813 BD: 9 (6 + 3) [Vent Forth on CK 6: 19 x 10 = 190 - 40 = 150] CD: 6 [Recovery Not Activated] (-11 EN) (+3 EN)

Spoiler

Party:

• [H: -/-/-/-/-/0 ] Crozeph: 500/500 | EN: 44/50 | DMG: 12 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 0 | SVY: +2 | RGN: +2 | BLD: 1 | LD: +2
  • [H: -/-/-/-/-/1 ] Oikawa: 1354/1410 | EN: 107/138 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 61 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 0 | SR: +5 | BLD: 36 | PV(O): +1 | FL AURA: 20 | LM: +2 | REC: +3 (+1 EN) (-8 EN)
  • [H: -/-/-/-/-/0 ] Mari: 1410/1410  | EN: 127/138 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 6 | EVA: 3 | BH: 67 | BRN: 24 | BLD: 24 | FL AURA: 15

Enemies:

• Corrupted Kingsguard 3: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-131 HP)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 4: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-131 HP)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 5: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-190 HP)
  • Corrupted Kingsguard 6: 0/300 | DMG: 72 | MIT: 40 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 (-150 HP)

Edited by Oikawa

Mari jolted when she felt something wrap around her hand, she tried to pull away but the grasp was firm...and...warm? Mari blinked as her eyes struggled to focus. Right...Right..

"O-Oikawa?" Mari asked, her voice small. The brunette gave her a small smile and a nod. She could feel the warmth of his chest, and the vibrations of his heartbeat. Mari forced her eyes shut. This was stupid. This was so stupid. Why was this getting to her. "I...I don't know what's wrong with me." Mari said under her breath. "I - I'm meant to be the leader. I'm meant to be the one that people look up to." She looked upon Oikawa with tired and pleading eyes. She didn't want to be like this. She wanted to prove to Crozeph that she was someone he could look up to, prove to Oikawa she was able to stand strong on her own two feet - he'd come to her too, hadn't he? So many people...so many people had come to her, relied on her - wanted so much from her. So Mari had to...she had to give each and every one of them what they were looking for. Even so...even so... Mari's form trembled from the fear .Her voice wavering, breaking. The pains of her past weighing on her words.

"Why...did it call me mother?" Mari asked helplessly.

@Oikawa @Crozeph

Crozeph took a sigh of relief as Oikawa finished on killing the last Kingsguard. He slumped on the floor lying down as he saw it shatter "finally a breather, they weren't that troublesome with you here Oikawa but this dungeon's feel is just..." he turned his head as he continued to lie down on the dungeon floor "... too immersive." He stood up and saw something lying on the ground, a piece of paper and it was probably dropped by the kingsguard after they were all defeated. He picked it up and tried to read what was written, it was readable enough and before he could a pop-up window appeared in front of him. Crozeph's eyebrow raised as the message began to show before them 

Dungeon Item

Letter of Recommendation

Seal of Approval

He looked at the letter he's holding and behind it, a seal done in candle wax was there. "Looks like we'll be needing this to get to the next location," he told them. Crozeph then walked to the other side of the corridor and sat before them. "Looks like this dungeon has a lore in it, I can read you some of it," he said as he began to squint his eyes trying to read in low light. "These are like letters from someone confused and I also can't read well in this darkness" Crozeph then began to read as what is written on the letter.

We have been tasked to inform the king of the Lancer's arrival, it seemed urgent or rather too pressing that we can't help but ask what is going on. For a few weeks, we've been seeing the king restless in his court and angry. I have no intention to question his decisions or judgment that he brought down upon us or the people inside this kingdom. I just want to know what is happening. The best that I can recall is about the Lancer and the queen, the mother of the king. They were distant to each other the last time I saw them, it was unnatural because our queen loved her son more than anything. They might still be mourning with the death of our previous king, I can't blame them but at the same time I feel uneasy lately like some kind of bad thing will happen soon. One of the kingsguard in our ranks kept on telling us that if the Lancer is doing something wrong, he himself will demand a trial by combat for the king and obviously against the Lancer. 

These are unsettling times my beloved, I want you to keep our children safe as I serve our king. I took up this duty in order to protect you also but I'm afraid there's something greater that even my abilities aren't enough. It is painful to see our land be covered in distrust and paranoia. I only pray for the safety of our king and his mother.

Crozeph took a deep breath as he finished reading the letter and stood up brushing off the moss and mold off his haori "this makes sense why some of them are crying and one is challenging Oikawa, but the coincidence is..." he scratched his head "...yeah let's just figure this out along the way." He looked at Mari and smiled "Oikawa is right we're still here, I'm afraid myself and there's this claustrophobic feeling I can't shake off easily but we can do this" he told her. He then turned his attention to Oikawa "it seemed that players will play a role while inside here, I'm thinking it would've chosen the role randomly if there were more players but with just the three of us... looks like we landed on these roles perfectly" he told him. There could be more of the dungeon items further inside and Crozeph was in no rush to get it all, not with Mari still shocked by the first wave of enemies. "I think you're the mother of the king in here but something doesn't feel right" he uttered as he looked at the hallway before him.

@Oikawa@Mari