[F 21 - PP - Shield & Raidou] <<Nature's Treasure>> Keys to Success

Spoiler

Searching for Chest - ID# 149440 results: Loot: 20+13=33* [Chest found]

Total Loot:

Materials: 24

*Shield forgot to apply his housing bonus to his consumable this thread. He has been gone from the site too long and there is no reason not to use it.

By now, Shield had learned a lot of the little nooks and crannies where chests could be hidden throughout the chamber. Yes, it was possible to splash around in the water until he found one, but that prospect seemed exceedingly unpleasant. He had seen the things that swim around in the water, and while he knew logically that they would not be able to truly harm him, the thought of finding one in the dark underwater sounded like exactly something he would never want to do ever.

Instead, he combed around the edges of the cavern, checking places where in the past he had encountered pressure plates and the like. For a while, there was no luck. However, as he walked by a particularly uninteresting patch of wall, his earring began to glow with a faint golden light. The gold wire that ran along the outside of the hoop lit up like a light bulb filament, and he could very slightly feel it warm. Walking towards the wall with his hands outstretched, his palms passed right through the surface and through an illusion into a little hollow. There, on the ground before him, was a chest, just as he had been searching for for so long.

Edited by Shield
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raidou focused intently upon the water not allowing his sight to pass easily through, only seeing a very blurred silhouette of the bottom. Assuming it was a waste of effort with a bit of discouragement, Raidou sits back down and folds his legs once again. Casting his line back to the water, a subtle plop as it hits and forms ripples. The line instantly goes tight, as the swordsman snatches the line and begins to twirl it back toward the edge. Again a rather paltry size flounder, it could be twinned with the one prior. Pulling his book out and scratching a quick note with a sigh, Raidou clubs it and frees his hook. The pole back to the water, Raidou folds his arms around the pole to keep some manner of an affix to it as he writes more along the page to bide his time for the next bite.

ID# 149443 results: Craft: 5

1*T3 Materials Obtained

Total T3 Materials: 14

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Opening Chest - ID# 149481 results: Loot: 5+7=12

• [12-15] = 2,100 Col, 5 T3 materials, 1 rare T3 weapon, 2 rare T3 consumables

Total Loot:

Materials: 29
Col: 2,100
Rare Weapons: [149481a]
Rare Consumables: [149481b] [149481c]

Shield took the first of his key rings and selected a key that seemed appropriate for the shape of the lock. Kneeling down beside his hard-won first chest of the trip, he held the key out to the lock, watching as the consumable item melted into the air with a soft jingle and a pop from the lock as it gave way. The display window noting the chest's contents appeared, and Shield looked over the readout.

"I've seen worse," he sighed, clicking the option to accept all of the items into his inventory. With that, he stepped back through the illusory wall and back into plain view. "Well, that's one chest down," he said, loudly enough for Raidou to hear him. "I just hope that marks some sort of turning point. I am going to be a little miffed if I invested so heavily in so many keys only to get up here and have happenstance decide that investment was a poorly timed affair." He strode back over to where he left his fishing gear and set about the task of readying his pole for his next cast.

Edited by Shield

A word from the expanse of the cavern, from Shield who had seemed to find a box. Perhaps a change in fortune but the lake seemed to reflect the opposite in its silence. Shield took back to his undisturbed equipment "Funny how when I was ill prepared in our last meeting and fortune smiled much brighter, take steps for a better result and cardinal takes to punishment. I hope that chest you did happen upon had at least something worth the effort, this lake has been much less forgiving." turning the rod a tad in his hands before giving it a jostle, causing the line to shift slightly. "Curious that it seems so on polar ends, I would expect a more standard accrual but as of yet, the two instances seem to show complete variance." a verbal thought for possible input, aiming to draw a conclusion but as it sat the data was blaring inconsistency.

ID# 149669 results: Craft: 1

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Fishing -  ID# 149683 results: Craft: 9 [3 Materials found]

Total Loot:

Materials: 32

With his hook properly baited and his line spooled neatly on the reel, Shield cocked his arm back and cast out into the center of the lake. He gave a few moments to let the disturbance in the water settle out before beginning the process of slowly pulling his line back in. "Who knows? I've had fishing trips up here where I was finding chests left and right," he said with a heavy sigh. "I wish that there were more opportunities to stack advantages, but unfortunately, being a rare commodity, there seem to be heavy system throttles in place to keep them rare." 

He felt a tug as something tested his bait. A moment later, the tester committed to its meal and began to pull properly. Shield already had his reel locked and ready to pull in, making quick work of the contest of strength despite what ended up being a decent sized catch. "I suppose persistence is the remedy here. Eventually things will turn around. We just need to be patient."

Edited by Shield

Raidou adjusts his frames on his nose with a sigh, for the first time in a while he found himself a bit on edge. "Your correct, in my eagerness I was too focused on learning that I forgot that fact." moving the attached string in his arms around in the water, attempting to draw the ire of a fish within its surface. The water seems rather barren however, Raidou can see slight shadows through the darkened liquid. But the bait on the line seems rather unappealing to them, the shifting bobber goes untouched as it slides closer to the shore. "Rather picky sort, maybe it's my methods?" Raidou exclaims in another sigh, tossing the line deeper along the body of water, hoping the next cast wouldn't be so fruitless. It screams out as it flies through the air and further out than previous attempts, Raidou was trying to find something systematic in the madness.

ID# 149688 results: Craft: 1

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Fishing - ID# 149701 results: Craft: 1 [Nothin]

Total Loot:

Materials: 32

"One thing that I've learned about people in my time as a statistician," Shield said, taking care to properly store the cuts of fish that his last catch had yielded as he spoke, "they will often balk at the idea that the world is chaotic and that things happen as a result of chance. We would much rather invent a reason that something was our faults than we would accept that we had very little actual power over the outcome." With the items safely in his inventory for now, Shield took up his rod and swung high to get some extra distance on his cast."

"I think it's something to do with not wanting to feel powerless," Shield continued, reasoning through his thoughts. "After all, those who are constantly striving to overcome obstacles are the ones who succeed and prosper. If one feels powerless, one gives up. Maybe it's better that we try to rationalize. Keeps us motivated and moving, even if the reasons we use are wrong."

Edited by Shield

"I hope we have at least some manner of control, It would be a waste of effort to attempt to alter the outcome if it did nothing. I choose to believe there is always a way to change your fate, skew the results in your favor." A silent tug with very little attention to the water, simply expecting nothing more than another small fish on the line. The bobber sinks. Raidou pulls back expecting a rather light tug to do the trick, but it doesn't.

The pole threatens to drag him under, the nomad plants his feet, and starts to wrangle the heavy catch "What in the hell!?" he exclaims in a sudden lapse in confusion as the line causes the rod to bend almost in two. An immense struggle, a first experience as the heavy container finds the shore. "Well, I hope that's a sign, your up." Raidou looks over the box with an adjust of his glasses, to the lines of algae on gold trim.

ID# 149735 results: Craft: 12, Loot: 12+[5/3/3]=23

Chest Found!

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Opening Chest - ID# 149739 results: Loot: 18+7=25

• [24-25] = 5,250 Col, 12 T3 materials, 1 perfect T3 weapon, 1 perfect T3 armor/shield, 2 perfect T3 consumables

Total Loot:

Materials: 44
Col: 7,600
Perfect Armors: [149739b]
Perfect Weapons: [149739a]
Perfect Consumables: [149739c] [149739d]

Keys Used: 2

Shield was already by the waterfront before Raidou had finished landing his catch. "That's more like it! Now don't say another word. I know I'm a man of science and probability, but random number generators in games sometimes aren't," he said, giving the other angler a sarcastic half-smile. With that, he was fishing out the first of the key rings once again and picking which one he thought best for the lock. The usual clink and click and the top had cracked open a little, enough for the game to call it 'open,' and for the contents display to pop into view.

"Excellent," he said, his sarcastic smile warming to a genuine one. "While it only has one set of armor, the rewards are substantial none the less. Top tier, I believe, or at least the highest tier of loot I've encountered. I don't know that anyone is more specialized in chests than I am, so I'd be skeptical if someone said they'd found better outside of a dungeon." He collected the contents and closed the dialog box, standing back as the chest burst from its items and durability being depleted.

Edited by Shield

Taking a moment to pay Shield a response "Back to the water then, gain some momentum." Unwinding the now slack cable, drawing and casting it back Raidou aims to simply return the line back from where it was drawn. As it hits the water it jerks, a fish bites in. Pulling it back to the shore, its a modest size fish, and given the sudden flux of activity, the swordsman would think twice at forsaking it. Removing the line in silence, and tossing it back to the water as the small fauna had done a fair job of disturbing the attempt before it could begin. A quick flick and pull on the line quickly brings the flounder to shore, Raidou sighs and removes the hook from its mouth. It then flops about and expires Raidou just allows it to die, his attentions shifting right back to the water looking for a much bigger game.

ID# 149740 results: Craft: 8

2*T3 Materials Obtained

Total T3 Materials: 16

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Fishing - ID# 149952 results: Craft: 1 [Nothin]

Total Loot:

Materials: 44

"Now that we actually have loot to speak of, we need to figure out exactly how we're dividing it up and which items are most interesting to whom," Shield said, returning to his post next to his tackle box. He wound up and threw his line deep into the darkness of the cavern, only hearing a faint splash without any visual confirmation of its location. "I know that materials are of particular interest to you, or at least they were on our last gathering session. What other things do you need out of the chests that we find? It's probably no surprise that I place the most stock in armors, personally. I just recently ran through the last of my stores of unidentified gear and intend to restock as much as I can." Nothing seemed to be taking his bait, so he began winding up his line once again, careful not to do so too quickly and risk agitating anything that might bite.

Edited by Shield

An interesting question, one that Raidou already had a firm belief on. "Keep the lot of whatever you find including whatever I happen to fish up which isn't seeming like much, but if you somehow happen upon another sword like mine I'd hope to at the very least you'd give me the first shot at it." as he had little use for most of the respective haul, Shield surely had a more fitting claim on the lot of it given he had the tools at his disposal to deal with them. The lesson here held more gravity than anything he could perceive these finite items could bring him, and to this end, he was already content with his yield. Now if the cardinal system would be so kind as to help him pay the debt he felt he owed to his partner remained to be seen, as it seemed to be a more fleeting show of value than anything.

ID# 149953 results: Craft: 3

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Fishing - ID# 149954 results: Craft: 9 [3 Materials found]

Total Loot:

Materials: 47

Shield blew air out his cheeks at the request that Raidou had made. "While I'm certainly willing to put you on the waiting list, there is indeed a waiting list for Vampiric enhancements. And to be completely transparent, I am on that list as well, in addition to one of the fellow officers of the guild I lead," he said with an apologetic shrug. "That includes both the offensive and defensive versions of the enhancement. I am in a place now where my build may be changing significantly, and until I get a few answers back from another endeavor, I can't know for sure what will be needed for the final build."

As Shield continued to reel in his line, he felt a slight tug. He slowed his speed, giving whatever it was a chance to do more than just taste the bait. Moments later, the pull came, and he pulled back against it to set his hook in its lip. From there, it was doomed, and Shield was quick to seal its fate by pulling it out of the water and allowing the air around it to do the dirty work for him. "Are there other enhancements that you are particularly concerned with?"

Edited by Shield

"Anything to improve my healing aspect would be ideal, given most of the time simply avoiding the incoming blow makes something like immolation rather inert." Raidou remarked knowing little beyond only the simplest of enhancements, burn and freeze. "It's a tall order, and that is rather reassuring as well. If it's being sought out than that means its relevant, I would say that your own wellbeing and those that you hold attachment to come first and foremost. I understand that if such a thing fell into your hands they would be first on your list, a difficult dilemma but I am glad to even be a help in such things. With a reward like that, it's more than adequate." the nomad spoke in honesty, a smile upon his face with the truth being that the only intention of his previous request was to aid others, and if what he was doing now was producing this result than despite a gear improvement it was exactly what he was after. A tug of his line reveals another small fish, nothing of major note, and was the furthest thing from his focus allowing the pole to do most of the work.

ID# 149957 results: Craft: 6

1*T3 Materials Obtained

Total T3 Materials: 17

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Fishing -  ID# 149958 results: Craft: 7 [2 Materials found]

Total Loot:

Materials: 49

"Personal healing comes down to only a handful of enhancements," Shield said, quickly sending out a short cast to regain the use of his off-hand. He held it out to begin enumerating the options on his fingers. "The most obvious is Regen - problematic since it does not stack with personal healing from Battle Healing, which by max rank far outstrips Regen's heal and also does not tie up valuable equipment slots. From there, the remaining options are all unique. There's Holy Blessing, but like Regen it requires you be hit to proc, which means its effect is limited. There is Life Mending, which is helpful, but limited in scope since it only enhances the effect of healing items. It's typically considered a support item more than a tank item for that reason."

Shield's reel began to whine as another catch began to pull more fishing line from the spindle. He halted the fishes progress, having to give up his counting hand to resume his fishing progress. "Last on the list is, you guessed it, both the offensive and defensive forms of Vampiric. Defensive has a higher chance to proc individually, while offensive sacrifices potential for actual damage for personal healing. Despite its name, it does not actually drain an opponent's health. It merely procs a set percentage heal, even if no real damage was dealt." He landed his fish, which was a fairly small catch, but still valuable materials he could sell or trade in his shop.

Edited by Shield

From a merchant who has had such rare enhancements cross his countertop, a tutor to enhancements would be an understatement. Withdrawing his black book and a hasted scratching of the conveyed knowledge as Raidou says back as the words are pressed into the page "I see, Life mending boosts healing items. Offensive... It also explains why the weapon won't hold an edge then." Raidou spoke to the time he recovered a rather large portion of health from its activation before during a past quest. "Well, then I know where I stand given my rather strange approach it's going to be extremely difficult to find a replacement. I assumed as much, but I am nothing if not persistent." he replied as he shifted the rod around in the water, his notes scratched into his book with another valuable bit of information now added that he would pour himself over at another time, with potential avenues being drawn around in his cranium.

ID# 149957 results: Craft: 6

1*T3 Materials Obtained

Total T3 Materials: 18

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Fishing -  ID# 149961 results: Craft: 1

Total Loot:

Materials: 49

"If I were to advise you on an end-all-be-all enhancement list for your weapon, it would be to have Taunt, for obvious reasons, Vampiric in its offensive form, again for obvious reasons," he began, finishing up with his last catch before straightening up and lining up another cast. "I would then go for Paralytic Venom, giving you the increased chance of keeping an enemy from attacking." He threw his line out, giving it a little bit more distance than the last as he pondered where to take the item from there.

"If an opportunity arises to upgrade to a demonic four slot item, there are any number of approaches. Personally, I believe that your next best friend would be a second slot of Vampiric. It has diminishing returns, the second slot only adding half of what the first slot adds, but it is the next best thing on the item. Another good option would be Freeze. Then if for some reason an enemy was immune to Paralytic Venom, it might still be able to stop them moving. It also has the added bonus of making the next attack against the enemy deal more damage, as the frozen portions of its body become more brittle."

Edited by Shield

"Alright, that confirms my suspicions and gives me a more solid course of action. I appreciate your insight, Shield" Raidou spoke as he scripted down the influx of advice to his book with a hurried pen, a catalog of what he had learned being a constant source to which he could refer to for not only himself but those he had taken to keeping a watchful eye over. Another slot was able to be applied, freeze he had discovered at least in modest regard through quest descriptions alone but it was better to have a more solid idea of what it was capable of. This enhancement Shield and he only discussed briefly: Paralytic Venom wouldn't be bad to keep an eye out for as well. The tool still tethered to the body of water attempts to interrupt and Raidou rips it out as fast as his hands would allow, as it was a distraction from a matter he cared much more about than the rather large looking fish on the other side. Tossing the line back out as soon as the fish is removed, adding the final few tidbits to his book.

ID# 149962 results: Craft: 9

3*T3 Materials Obtained

Total T3 Materials: 21

Edited by Raidou
Spoiler

Fishing - ID# 175125 results: Craft: 11 [4 Materials]

Total Loot:

Materials: 53

Shield gave a nod in response to Raidou's gratitude. He was very accustomed to being an advisory presence in the less experienced players around him, but Raidou seemed plenty capable and yet seemed all the more eager to learn from him. Perhaps that was an indicator of why he had been so successful. "No trouble, really," he added before casting out his line again.

This time, the hook didn't even manage to make contact with the water. A fish of the lake's largest species leaped up and snatched up the hook in its greedy mouth. As it hit the water, it made to make its escape, but Shield gave an almighty pull and wheeled it around to face back towards the shore. The fish dove down into the depths, and Shield braced his feet, preparing for what would likely be a significant battle. He pulled and strained against his line, fighting little by little as he slowly drew in the fish. He gained ground slowly but surely, landing the fish with a final heave on the fishing pole.

Edited by Shield

Raidou nods as he was convinced Shield was not off base in the accusation. Cardinal was being rather nasty with today's spawn at least from the water's perspective. Raidou would stay with the gear, although he was sure it would not be disturbed Raidou was also sure that Shield did not need any aid elsewhere. After all, the man chose these trips in solidarity in a similar way to which he took to his own grotto. The trip here was a bit meager in comparison to his usual yield, but what it lacked it more than made up for in conversation with an individual who had much more to offer in a 'teach a man to fish' sort of way. "Why must you be so unforgiving, this is quite different than simply gathering." Raidou spoke a bit discouraged as he shifted the water around with the line, in the dead surface.

ID# 149965 results: Craft: 3

Edited by Raidou