[PP-F24] Homeward Bound (Crozeph and Yuurei)

Floor 24
Late Morning
Paraneze <<settlement>> 
@Yuurei @Crozeph

The sun was fully in the sky, or as fully in the sky as it could get. Since each floor had the majority of its sky space covered by the floor above, the sun was really only in full mid morning and mid afternoon. The peak of the day was still fully bright, and the floor above was high enough to not feel claustrophobic, but it was still odd to think that the the normal height of the day was absent the sun. Still, the celestial body caused the water of the floor to glitter and dance with light as it spilled its fire in a bright streak all the way the waterways.

He was near the Colosseum, but also near the teleportation plaza. The road between the two was choked with people, both NPC and PC, who went about their business in such as way that made the city feel truly alive. As it was an island based settlement, it also meant that the paths through were more congested, which only compounded the effect of projecting a living vibrance.

He was meeting his old friend Crozeph here, to show him the way to Baldur's new home. It wasn't completed yet, but Baldur had cleared out the area for the majority of his estate and which would eventually become the new headquarters for Jacob's Ladder. Baldur was still pleased that the guild would match his aesthetic and wrap around his own home, encompassing the entirety of the island.

A stray breeze rose up from the waterway and tugged at the blue haori Baldur always wore, and the flames along the bottom flickered as if alive. It was so distinctive to the samurai that he doubted whether anyone would recognize him with out them.

p6YvIIq.png

Edited by Baldur

The bright sun pierced through the sky, blinding her vision even more as the teleportation colors faded. It was was warm here. The humid smell of ocean water wafted in her face, making it difficult to breathe for a moment. If Shield was anywhere, she could find him here. The floor the front lines were closest to was this one. Shield was tough fucker and she was sure he was still kicking the doors down to new floors to get them all out of here. However, she couldn't take it anymore. She wouldn't leave a friend to wonder about her though. She would say her last goodbye to the tank and be done. It would all be over.

She wandered around the floor, hoping she could just happen to find the hulk of a man anywhere. The slump of a girl was absolutely demolished. Completely drained of any will to continue on. Looking off to the side, she didn't see the gaijin in front of her. She bumped into him, and looked up at him.

"O-Oh...Excuse me... You're not Shield... Do you know a man named Shield?" Her tired expression and disheveled clothing and hair seemed to be the least of her worries.

@Crozeph @Baldur

Spoiler

General
Level: 3 | HP:  60/60 | Energy: 6/6

Stats
DMG: 1 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 0 

Skills
1HCS Rank I

Equipment(In use)
Vanity Curved Sword
Vanity Heavy Armor

"Lots of water" was the first thing that he noticed as he was out of the teleportation portal. This was Crozeph's first time entering the floor and he was surprised to find a settlement or rather a floor connected by islands. It made Crozeph remember the place he was born before his father took him and lived in Japan. A group of islands and each with something different to offer. This floor, however, was a smaller scale than the country and it made Crozeph smile, the place was right for a home and he can't help but utter the name of his birthplace, a place that might also have players stuck inside the game, "Philippines" he said.

He scanned the area of Baldur, he was notified that Baldur is going to take Crozeph in his house, also it would be a great opportunity for Crozeph to talk to him about joining the guild. In his last expedition with Oikawa and Mari, they mentioned that the three of them were part of it along with a guy named Shield whom Crozeph hadn't met yet or even if he did, it must've been in an event or inside a shop which Crozeph pay little attention for.

Crozeph looked for a blue haori, it was Baldur's trademark color. He turned his head left and right amidst the players and NPC in the place "all I can see right now here is the back of everyone's head" he thought. A few minutes of looking and he saw him. Blue haori with some design of flames, Crozeph nodded his head "that's our guy" he thought as he began moving towards Baldur. As he made his way to the Gaijin Samurai, he saw a girl. She was probably in her early twenties and younger, she bumped into Baldur as she looked like she was also looking for someone "is she looking for him also?" he asked in his head. Crozeph finally made his way to Baldur as he moved and dodged the people "hey Baldur, this is a nice place to build a house how did you..." Crozeph turned his head as the girl mentioned someone named Shield "oh she's looking for someone named..." Crozeph's thoughts shifted to the name "isn't that the fourth guy Mari mentioned who was part of Baldur's guild?" he thought.

@Baldur @Yuurei

Spoiler

Stats

• Level: 27 I HP: 540 I EN: 54 I DMG: 12 I ACC: 0 I EVA: 1 I MIT: 44 I +2 Regen I +1 Savvy I +1 Bleed

Skills

• Curved Sword R1 I Katana R5 I Battle Healing R2 I Light Armor R2 I First Aid R2 I Survival [extra] I Meditation  [extra]

Equips

• Flambringer T2 +4 DMG +1 Bleed I Karasu-No-Kami +1 Savvy +2 regen I Cloak of the Oath +36 MIT +1 EVA

Inventory

• Bleeding Dove [katana] +3 damage
  • Kuro Yukata +3 LD

Edited by Crozeph

"Oh hello Baldur," Cordelia exclaimed, coming up from behind the gaijin samurai before she nudged him with her elbow. "Fancy meeting you here." It wasn't like she was tracking him with her map or anything, no, no, that would be preposterous! 

She whipped her head towards to the other familiar face. "Hey, Crozeph. It's good to see you again. I'm glad I get to see you under much brighter light this time around," she joked, patting him on the back before she turned to the other face, this one not as familiar. "Oh, are you one of Baldur's friends?" she asked, eyes wide as she inspected the girl's face. Yep, this was definitely a stranger to her- as is most players in SAO. She looked kind of sad, or tired. Heck, maybe she was both!

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you," she beamed happily, extending her hand for the girl to shake. "You can call me Cordelia. Or not, I don't really care."

Spoiler

[STATS:]

LVL: 56 | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 112/112 | 19 DMG | 25 MIT | 5 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 PARA VNM [DF] | PHSE | 12 HLY | ABS. ACC

[INVENTORY:]

☆ T3 Katana | Onimaru: PHSE, 12 HLY, ABS. ACC
☆ T1 Light Armor | Bastille’s Resistance: +2 EVA, +1 PARA VNM

☆ T2 Jewelry | Empress' Kanzashi: +3 ACC, +1 EVA

[BATTLE READY:]

☆ [5] Standard Healing Potions [Heals 50 HP]

[CONSUMED:]

[SKILLS:]

Non-combat:

Passive:

☆ R3 Fighter Familiar Skill: +9 DMG
☆ R3 Hiding Skills: +3 Stealth Rating
☆ R5 Light Armor Skill: 25 MIT
  > Athletics: +1 Base DMG, +20 HP
☆ Disguise: [Gain +1 EVA until the start of your next turn]
☆ Survival: [Increases out of combat health regeneration to (15 * Tier) per post. Grants immunity to most damage dealing environmental
attacks/effects.]

Combat:

☆ R5 Battle Healing

Weapon Skills:
☆ R1 Curved Sword Skill 
☆ R5 Katana Skill [+7 DMG/+1 BASE]
  > Ferocity: +1 DMG
  > Precision: +1 ACC
  > R3 Finesse: -3 EN to all SAs

[BUFFS:]

☆ RELAXED: Increases HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts
☆ ADVANCED TRAINING: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month.
☆ TASTY: Turn 2 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Lesser Feast.
☆ HARD-WORKING: +2 EXP per crafting attempt, +1 crafting attempt

• 2 weeks later...

Looking down, Baldur realized a young woman had bumped into him. He expected to be jostled a bit in the street, but when she looked up at him and mentioned Shield's name, she immediately was not just another face in the crowd. The wanna-be samurai's face softened as he looked down at the girl, giving her a friendly smile and opening his mouth to answer her when Crozeph appeared form the the crowd as well. 

He glanced up at his old friends, the steel absent from his eyes and instead replaced with a serene, oceanic color.

"Good to see you, my old friend." He glanced between the two, choosing his words.

"Yes, Shield-kun is one of the other Hashira of our guild, Jacob's Ladder, along with Mari-chan, and Oikawa-san." He was surprised Crow knew about it. Apparently, he had spoken to Mari already. That was a good sign, and maybe that's what she had meant during the meeting. Then, another ray of sunshine and energy popped up at his side.

"Ah, Cordelia-chan. I wasn't sure you were going to make it. Excellent." As Cordelia introduced herself, Baldur realized he did not have the young woman's name.

"Forgive me. I am Baldur, this is my good friend Crozeph." He didn't introduce Cord, since she had just done so, "If you'd like to come with us, I'm about to head up to my house, which is also where our guild will be. There's a chance Shield may be up there."

He gestured for the three of them to follow and he began to lead the way off the crowded bridge and towards the gates that lead from the town.

"My house is just outside the settlement. Don't worry, if you stay away from the water nothing will bite."

The edge of the settlement was actually the edge of the central island, dominated by the Colosseum.  Stretching from the central island was a bridge leading to another, smaller island. At the foot of the bridge was another small cluster of homes. He lead them over this bridge and out of the protection of the <<settlement>>.

"I didn't expect quite the crowd. My home isn't entirely ready, but I hope you all find it as beautiful and warm as I do."

Once across the long bridge and at the new, far smaller island, Baldur led them over to a small dock, with a small boat that could be driven by pole. He stepped out onto the boat and took up the pole.

"Alright, all aboard. Please keep your hands and arms inside the boat at all times. In the case of an emergency," Baldur's face split into a grin, "the exits are here, here, here, here, here, -everywhere-" He chuckled.

"it's not a far ride, don't worry."

He gestured over his shoulder towards a large Torii in the water, as if that answered everyone's questions.

B9K5Kvm.jpg

@Yuurei @Crozeph @Cordelia

Perhaps he was less of a gloomy person with the sunlight bathing him with its warmth. Crozeph didn't like sunlight but there are things in his life that he has to deny himself now, Baldur has begun his plan and even though it's not his obligation, Crozeph felt the urge to join or join Jacob's Ladder. The place was lively because of its water and sprinkle it with the busybodies and sight-seers, a place more vibrant than the heavily populated areas inside the Aincrad. "Yeah Mari and Oikawa kinda fill me in about the guild, I only find it weird that it wasn't you or Mari as guild leaders but I'm not questioning whoever the leader is." Crozeph glanced as Cordelia joined the group and how it was a little weird for her and Baldur to meet "a senpai and kouhai will always find their paths cross in many ways one can imagine" he told her.

As Cordelia told him with a pat about how it was nice to see him in a much brighter place, it made Crozeph think how dark was Floor 10. "I still hate the sunlight though, people kept on looking me in the eye as if they saw a ghost" he added. Ever since he was out in the open, some people would stare at him like they saw something in his eyes "having azure eyes is a normal thing, look at Baldur, if you look at it closely you can see the horizon of an ocean" he said. He was starting to protest a little, his time with Yuki made him more talkative than who he really is and somehow, Mari's advice about him being more open became more of a reminder to him and it helps.

Crozeph waved his hand at the girl who was looking for Shield "he may not be Shield but he knows where to find him" he told her. He didn't know who she was but it looks like he's looking for a guild.

As boarded the boat and Baldur starts to act like a steward or captain of a cruise ship, Crozeph looked at the water and saw his reflection. For a moment he noticed why a few would stare at him. His eyes were indeed blue as if it was a shiny blue marble "wow I never noticed it until now" he thought. Despite Baldur's warning to keep the hand inside the boat, Crozeph dipped his hand into the water and licked one of his fingers secretly "not as bad as swamp water" he muttered. He saw the Torii and where they are going, it felt like the Torri was a sign "I sure hope we won't have to deal with some evil kappas and tengu"  he told Baldur.

@Baldur @Yuurei @Cordelia

Edited by Crozeph

Yuu sat quietly during their boat ride away from the mainland as they made there way towards Baldur's estate. How she had gotten sucked along on a boat ride she'll never know, but as long as had the chance of seeing Shield once more, she would take it. If anyone could help her out of this rut, it would have to be him. Or at least he could lead her to the people that could help her. Shield was resourceful like that. He seemed to know a ton of people and have answers for just about anything. If only she herself could have that luxury.

The boat skid along the water and through the tori gate a barrier to keep the evil spirits away. A common Japanese folk lore thing. Apparently, she had also heard that spirits that pass the tori moved on in the afterlife. As she passed through, she couldn't help but feel more calm. Maybe it was the symbolism of the tori but there was a sense of purity deep within her that she felt melting away slowly.

@Baldur @Crozeph @Cordelia

3mgK6TJ.jpgAs Baldur poled the small skiff towards the Torii gate, a blue color, just off from the water and the sky, began to spin within the structure. Unconcerned, Baldur pushed the group through, and a moment later, they came out of an identical torii, but much higher than they were before. They were now on one of the teardrop islands high above the rest of the floor. He continued to use the pole to push their way towards a dock. The small, wooden dock just out into what would otherwise have been a giant pond, but the way it died off the edge of the floating island they were on was more of an infinity pool edge feeling, though it stretched off to cover much of this area of the floor.

The skiff pulled up to the dock, and Baldur deftly jumped off the boat and onto the dock and helped to hold it in place and help people off.

Above them rose a steep hike up a hill, amidst trees with deep red and orange leaves, and stone lanterns lining the path up. The breeze that seems to regularly blow off the water cause a ripple through the trees, dropping petals from flowers and leaves down onto the ground as the branches whisper quietly. The sound, or lack of competing sounds, seems to speak that they are far from civilization now and surrounded by nature as if Baldur's home were some kind of refuge.

DEK1buE.jpg"Welcome to my new home." Baldur said with a smile as he gestured up the hill.

The architecture of the home seemed to be built with alongside nature, in balance with the life around them, rather than clearing it away. As Baldur lead the group up the hill towards the gate in the wall that surrounded his home proper, he turned back to face the group.

"Sorry but the house is still a bit of a work in progress. I was planning to let Crow stay here, but then we also decided to have the guild hall here as well. It's only just started construction though."

Baldur pushed the gates open, and revealed the house within. Instead of a large courtyard, there was another bridge, leading over another pond. In fact, the house seemed to be built on a number of smaller islands, connected by covered bridges. Each section of the house was almost an island on its own.

"That's the main, central house where the main rooms and my rooms are. Over there are Calrex-kun's rooms, and there, is where Crowzeph-san will stay. And that island over there in the large central pond, that's where the katsujinken dojo will be."

He turned to Yuurei, "Sorry, I know you don't know a lot of these people. Carlex is one of my good friends, and the first person I taught the katana too. Cordelia-chan here is another person I've helped a little, though she mostly was fine with how she fought when I met her. I decided to start up the Katsujinken Dojo to help people, both learn how to wield the katana, but also to learn how to navigate some of the challenges that Aincrad throws at you, mentally, and game mechanically."

He started to lead them across the first covered bridge to the main section of the house.

"Shield liked the idea of my dojo, and the philosophy of my swordmanship, so we decided to make the guild Jacob's Ladder. Our goal is to help supply the frontlines with both materials and consumables, but also with people who have been trained, and taught, how to contribute to the front, whether they want to fight there or not."

@Cordelia @Crozeph @Yuurei

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," she replied, following after him to a small and secluded dock. Her chest rose slightly as she took in a small breath.

Smells like water. Yeah, no dip Sherlock.

Cordelia chuckled under her breath, taking one last glance at the expansive ocean before she stretched her hands above her head. 

She cocked her towards her Crozeph before giggling. "You sound like a vampire," she joked. "Let them look. I bet they're just jealous. However, if it's really bothering you that much, just go get some colored contacts," she suggested, lowering her arms before sighing. Frankly, she wasn't sure why a person's eye color would draw so much attention to one's self. It's just a color, right? It's not like it says a whole lot about a person. Cordelia shrugged to herself. Whatever, people were weird. She'll never know what goes on in their heads... their weird little heads.

She chuckled and reached up and ruffled his hair for good luck. "Don't let 'em get to you, okay? You're better than that," the ivory-haired player huffed bluntly, removing her hand before she spun her body and attention back towards her mentor. 

"I'm sure it'll be beautiful. You have nothing to worry about," she cooed, gently patting Baldur on the back before she took a step into the small boat. The vessel creaked and rocked as she pushed her weight on it, but stabilized after a few seconds. 

"Heed Baldur's warning. I'm not going to jump into the water if a person goes overboard," she mused, leaning her arms against her knees just as Baldur pushed the boat away from the dock. A strange sense of relief flooded over her when they reached a steady pace. Compared to the other times she had been on boats (which were really just for fishing up quest mobs), this was great! Yes, she wasn't falling off and into the water because of a giant fish, nor was she drowning! Yes-yes, that had already placed this boat ride at number one. 

Like Baldur said, it didn't take long for the small group take make it to their destination. Her jaw dropped as she was at a complete loss for words. What could she say that wasn't already completely obvious already? It was beautiful!? It was probably the most serene place she had ever, ever seen!? She was fascinated so much so that she nearly tripped over the rim of boat while trying to get off. It was that pretty. 

"Home?" she echoed in disbelief, still not taking her eyes off of the warm hued trees. "This is more like a goddamn sacred temple, and we haven't even seen the house itself yet!" she exclaimed whirling her head towards Baldur while gesturing at everything she could see frantically. 

Who even needs a house here? I'd be just happy living in one of those trees if I get to wake up to this in the morning.

Cordelia followed after him as he pushed open the absolutely majestic gates, eager to see more of Baldur's... 'property'. She squealed like a toddler when she saw the bridge that overlooked a small body of water. Like the kid she was, she rushed over to the wooden structure and leaned over the railing. "You should totally add some koi in here if you haven't already, Baldur!" she suggested, looking deep into the water before pushing herself off of the railing. 

"Ahh! I want to go see the dojo!" she declared, cackling before she went speeding over to the bridge that led to the dojo like a child to candy. Her excited screams slowly grew quieter the further and further away she got from the group but stopped abruptly, which was followed up by a loud splash of water and a loud "I'm okay!"

Cordelia's suggestion was a bit too much for people like him "I-I'm bad at making eye contacts in a casual way, maybe in battle but not like that" he told her "I was hoping I'd gain bat powers or suck blood if I ever turn into one" he placed a finger on his teeth and tried to feel if one if his teeth are shaped like a fang. As she ruffled his hair and told him not to let them get to him he felt relieved, maybe he shouldn't think much about it. Crozeph remained quiet during the travel from one island to another, The place was calm enough to make him be calmer than he usually is. He gazed at the gentle ripple of the water as the boat moved, his hand treading the water. 

As they arrived at the dock and moved out of the boat, Crozeph felt some kind of peace with the place and when Baldur welcomed them, his reaction was almost like what Cordelia had. His eyes widened and his hands which were inside the sleeves of his yukata dropped slowly "now I feel like I'm in Japan" he uttered softly. He didn't know how Baldur managed to acquire such huge property and as they walked, he saw the rooms and looked at where Baldur was giving him a room. Now he has a proper home, not a rundown storage room with dim lights and NPCs with hollow personalities as neighbors. This time he'll be part of a guild where he can talk to someone and a dojo where can practice his kendo much more easier. He couldn't help but smile, Baldur's plan was more than what he was expecting and it was a really nice idea to have it beside Jacob's Ladder. 

'When you told me your plan to put up a house and a dojo I didn't expect it to be this big. It is almost enough to house two guilds if you ask me" he told Baldur. Crozeph continued to follow them, he wasn't going to say anything about the place, Cordelia is already doing that for them. He took in a deep breath and let it out slowly "such a nice place" he thought. As Cordelia began to speed up and saying something about adding koi fish and wanting to see the dojo, Crozeph had to warn her "um Cord, don't go running or you might..." it was already too late as he heard a splash of water "looks like she's the first koi to be added" he told them as she came out of the water telling them that she's ok.

@Yuurei @Baldur @Cordelia

• 3 weeks later...

g1Vzqcj.jpgBaldur blushed at their compliments of his home. He was proud of it. Clearing out the land had been difficult, but worthwhile. He also didn't plan on covering the whole island, but when they moved the guild on top of it, and purchased the largest guild hall capable of being purchased, it meant that the entirety of the 'floating' island was theirs. The wilderness was still there, but most of it was taken up by Baldur's massive estate, and the guild hall of Jacob's Ladder. That the aesthetics tied together so closely to one another meant that it almost felt more like a settlement of its own, instead of a home and a guild hall.

As they walked towards the covered wooden bridge that led to the main building of Baldur's home, and then off to the dojo, Crow and Cord ran ahead. A smile crossed the gaijin samurai's face, until he heard the splash of Cord falling into Baldur's stocked koi fish pond. They were actually great for the fishing skill, though Baldur gave that up for the time being after the event.

"Cord!" Baldur called out in concern, until the girl popped her head back up above water and spit out a mouthful like she was an anime character.

"Sorry, the railing are a little low." But the water wasn't that deep right here. Even having fallen in, Cord could sit on the bottom of the pond right here and the water would only come up to her shoulders. It actually made it fairly refreshing on the warmer days. He enjoyed sitting on the edge of his rooms and soaking his feet in the water. The koi fish in the water came to investigate the newest fish, swirling around Empress-chan before swimming away from the disturbance.

"I take it you both would like to see the dojo." He was happy to see that Cord was excited to see it.

"It's just along this way." Baldur gestured for them to follow him along the outside of the main house. Unlike western homes, Baldur's place had all shoji panels, and you could see through the whole house to the gardens on the other side, but the hallways, as much as they were, all existed on the outside perimeter of the home. So they skirted the edge, with the home on one side and the interconnected fishing ponds on the other. Ahead, another bridge stretched out before them leading to a structure in the middle of the largest pond.

"I hope you don't mind, but I took certain liberties..."

uiHHXF8.jpgAs Baldur led them into the large dojo room, along one wall were a line of Nafuda. On the right hand side was a plate with Baldur's name. To the left was another which bore the name @Calrex. Beside Calrex's name plate was one for @Teayre and then @Morgenstern. Then @Cordelia and finally @Crozeph.  Finally, laying on the floor as if waiting to be put up, was another nafuda that still showed signs of recently being carved into the wood with the name @Shay.

"Welcome to Shugyosha-Dojo. It means "Student of the Way." Baldur was clearly glowing with pride. "Here, I shall teach my bushido, Katsujinken - the Life Giving Sword." He walked into the center of the room, where the tatami had been styled with the symbol that Baldur wore on his kimono, and on his sword. The crane.

"I won't just teach how to use the katana, but philosophy as well. The life giving sword is meant to save others, by clearing the front line and helping, but also through redemption and atonement. My way of the sword is there for the lost. Together, we will work to climb this tower, find meaning, self improvement, redemption, and finally freedom. Just as is the mission of Jacob's Ladder. To work together to climb the tower and free the dreamers."

He turned back to them, a smile on his face, and pride radiating from him. The pieces were coming together, but not quite there yet. He wasn't finished, but soon. Soon.

Edited by Baldur

Crozeph followed behind them as soon as Cordelia managed to get out of the water. He was sure that the railing was enough for anyone as long as they aren't running around carelessly or maybe like what Cordelia did. He was quiet most of the time, it was going to be his new place and not the dimmed inside of his shop anymore. he could only admire every detail and make compliments in a general way. It wasn't too much for him but he really liked it. Looking back he realized how hard it may be for others to live or sleep anywhere. He's grown used to it and at times when he needed little sunlight he'd go out for a few hours and again hide inside the confines of his storage shed. 

As they reached the dojo, Crozeph could only look around and see how well made it was. It brought back a lot of memories the good and the bad but this time with him being part of Baldur's dojo and a guild, he would be adding memories on the good side. He listened as Baldur began to explain what his dojo and its teachings would be. Katsujin-ken, it sounded familiar but he can't remember where he heard it and also the name of the dojo, Shugyosha. He could tell that Baldur is proud of what he had put up, he should be because all of it was impressive. For a moment it felt like he was setting foot on a place where he can grow again.

He walked around the room, shuffling his feet as if he was practicing what he learned. The steps, motion, and how to do it properly. He was practicing mostly on the rotting planks of his shop, the uneven surfaces of the grassy areas, or run-down houses he could find. Now it was a proper dojo and he liked it, what he failed to improve before he was trapped inside the game he can now improve inside it and he has Baldur to thank for that "thank you for this Baldur, the names are a really nice touch. I hope I could live up to your teachings and ideal of  Shugyosha-Dojo" he said while putting his arms inside his sleeves.