[F22 - PP] Stars and Galaxies

image-thumb-png-c2f72ecac794a98fbdb91ef4
Can I tell you something just between you and me? When I hear your voice, I know I'm finally free.
Every single word is perfect as it can be, and I need you here with me.

Spring filled the house. The riotous lilac bushes that surrounded Manderley exploded with color and scent, and their rich purple blooms beamed proudly from vases in every room. A far cry from the occasional chirp, the birds surrounding her home seemed to ramble on, a seemingly endless serenade. The underlying hum of insects provided the bass, accented by the sporadic croak of a wayward frog. Evening sun spilled through the countless windows, splashing across the tidy space, and setting the white furnishings aglow. If Lessa had seen anything so wonderful, so magical, she could not recall. "It's perfect," she breathed, "and it's mine."

Disturbed by the sudden commentary, Riker opened a single eye to gaze wearily at his human. Sleep dulled the brilliant amber color, like perfectly aged whiskey, but it disappeared as the wolf got his bearings. Once he had, he smoothly found his feet, and padded over to Lessa. With a gentle nudge of her calf with his damp nose, he settled back on his haunches to study her expectantly. If she didn't know better, Lessa might have thought he was waiting for dinner. Instead, she suspected her familiar was waiting for something a little different. Sometimes, she swore the thing could not only understand her perfectly, but also read minds.

"Alright, alright," she told him, her smile deepening the crows-feet at the corners of her sea-blue eyes. "I'll message him. But he might be busy, you know." The wolf's sneeze was so freakishly close to a scoff that Lessa laughed as she composed a new message.

To: Bahr

Hey you. If you're free tonight, why don't you swing by my place? I have something I really want to show you. Any time works. 

- Lessa

• 2 weeks later...

The telltale jingle of an incoming message ping-ponged against and through the cave's rocky corridors over the whine of discharged Sword Arts and cries of fallen ghouls. The moist air tickled Bahr's nostrils as he took a deep breath and waited for the post-Sword Art cooldown to expire, then took a few sharp leaps backward. By the time he'd come to a stop, another jingle had signified his opening of the menu, the subsequent tones detailing his navigation to the messaging panel. It was from Lessa.

Hey you. If you're

HP: 1249/1250

The window was automatically dismissed as a bulbous club smashed into Bahr's shoulder, the impact of which should have sent a normal man sprawling. But in Aincrad, everything was determined by statistics, random number generators, strategy, and a dash of skill. Figures such as damage, mitigation, evasion, accuracy. With the stat advantage Bahr held over the feeble (yet tenacious) goblin that stood before him, its strike offered less bite than it did chagrin. In response, Bahr planted his boot against the creature's chest and shoved, sending it stumbling backward several feet before its heel very unceremoniously caught a rock. The monster fell backward with a pathetic shriek, its club slipping from between its fingers and skittering across the cavern floor a few feet away.

With the goblin temporarily incapacitated, perhaps Bahr would be awarded enough time to read the remainder of the message. He drew up the menu once more, made his way to the messaging panel, and began to read.

Hey you. If you're free tonight, why don't you swing by my place? I have

Thwack!

HP: 1248/1250

What the hell? How had it gotten up, retrieved its club, and attacked him again so quickly? The message was only a single line long!

Or, perhaps, it was more likely that Bahr was just too slow a reader to accomplish this while there was an aggressive mob nearby. He never had gotten around to becoming a quick reader, quicker instead to fall behind his peers in class. Having read so few books since somehow graduating high school, it wasn't exactly like he'd honed his skills, either. Regardless, his patience had reached its maximum, and he was no longer willing to tolerate this goblin's foolishness. It was time it met its obliteration.

"Alright, you little sh*t," Bahr started as Blinkstrike ignited crimson. "Ol' lady's callin'. Gotta make this quick."

Splick!

Done.

FLOOR TWENTY-TWO

Something she wanted to show him? Hopefully it wasn't her cooking. Though, he wasn't sure what could be more splendiferous than the twenty-second floor in spring. The entire expanse was bursting with life, pleasant scents and vibrant colors weaving together in a perfect, cacophonous medley. Every way one turned, their eyes would meet with a flawless tapestry of nature's finest hues and subtle minutiae. Lush leaves lightly scraping, beetles crawling slowly, birds chirping proudly, woodland creatures scuttling stealthily, and rays of light piercing through it all in a heavenly mosaic that seemed to fill everything with the very fire of life itself. A glowing, perfect monument to the majesty that was Pan's design. It seemed only fitting that anything stitched together through his grace would carry with it the perfect soundtrack.

Bahr had traded out the war cries and pained screeches of his enemies, the clangs and hisses of crossing blades, and the occasional echoing drip of a fallen droplet into a wayward pool for the hushed whisper of Aeolus as the wind carried his voice through the flora, the rapping of Artemis' fingers against the naturalesque environment as he ran his animals through it, and the pumping blood of Acheron as his streams pulsed through the land. The damp cold of caverns untouched by natural light for the warmth of Helios' touch as his rays of sun kissed every surface. Solitude for the company of countless benign entities, of which one such had stolen his heart as though by Eros' design. 

The gods had a gentle grip on this place. There was something magical about it.

And he experienced that magic as he carefully ascended the winding trail toward Manderly. Swine Bajesus had settled into slothful slacking about atop his shoulder, seemingly similarly soothed by the softness of their surroundings. A mediocre day given up for a fantastic one. Just as he had every time he'd visited before, Bahr wondered what ever compelled him to leave this place. There was everything he needed here to live a fulfilling and satisfactory life. The nature. The calm. The activities. 

Her.

His knuckles knocked against the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Lessa tore the door open so fast that she caught Bahr mid-knock, his fist hovering uselessly in the air. Always the dutiful guard dog, Riker had alerted her to Bahr's approach minutes before he arrived. As such, she'd lingered by the door, ready to pounce like a predator stalking its prey. What was it about Bahr that had the strong, capable Lessa acting like a doe-eyed eighth grade girl? Though she'd taken a moment to compose herself, her whole world shifted when she saw him. Just a tad off-kilter - that's the effect he had on her. The sight of him was even more potent, given the past couple of days. The last time they'd seen each other, he'd nearly killed a man, and given her a glimpse into his tragic past. Plagued with conflict, Lessa had turned to the <<Calming the Soul>> quest. Oddly enough, it had worked. So as she stood in the doorway, taking him all in, all she could do was smile.

"Hi," she finally managed. A single step closed the distance between them. "How are my favorite boys?" She began by brushing a feather-light kiss atop Swine Bajesus' head, then pressed an equally gentle kiss to Bahr's lips. Rocking back on her heels, Lessa snagged Bahr's hand, gave it a small tug. "Thanks for coming," she said, and meant it. "I know it was short notice, so, yeah, it means a lot that you're here." 

Closing the door behind them, the hostess led her two guests across the foyer and into the sprawling kitchen/family room. The light pouring in had adopted a red tinge, the heavens burning like a fire for the gods. Typically, Lessa preferred the soft pastels of a warm, gentle sunset. Tonight, the sky exploded with something hotter, more passionate, more urgent. In a strange way, it mirrored the emotions that pulsed through her with each thunderous thud of her heart.

"I made dinner!" Her declaration was a bit too loud, a bit too rushed, but she plunged ahead anyway. She'd been so calm, so collected, as she'd prepared for the evening. Now everything surged ahead like a video on fast-forward. Breathe, she commanded as she drew the platter and pitcher from the fridge. Closing the door with her hip, she turned to Bahr with a goofy grin. "Well, I didn't really make it, so it's safe. Olivia made the chicken salad, and I think the bread, too. But I put it all together." Despite the ridiculousness of the statement, there was genuine pride on Lessa's flushed face as she plopped the sandwiches and lemonade down on the white marble island. A moment later, she'd fished cheery plates and cups from the glass-fronted cupboards. "It's really good. I sampled some."

"So you just started without me?" Bahr scoffed playfully. "How inconsiderate."

Despite the lighthearted banter, there was a certain uncomfortability that remained. A leech of uncertainty that had clung to him and slowly sapped away at his confidence after her reaction to his encounter with Pinball. She'd looked at him like he was a monster, and after some reflection, he'd come to the conclusion that he was one. A person in his shoes almost had to become one in order to survive in a place like this. The only thing that could defeat a monster was another monster, so that's what he'd allowed himself to become.

"But, I guess as long as you left enough for me, I can forgive you. I'm starving." He sauntered into the kitchen and joined her at the ivory island, a hand finding its way around her waist before coming to a rest against the edge of the counter top at her side opposite him. Then, he leaned forward and stole a quick kiss. "Some food would be nice, too."

In taking some time for himself, he'd decided that it wasn't all bad. There was something to be said about how a person can't truly be 'good' until they've learned how bad they can be. After all, a person isn't good because they're harmless. A person is good because they're capable of doing great harm, but choose not to. It makes them fearless, powerful, and competent. There was great utility in being a monster, for better or worse, and Bahr only hoped that it could be for the better in his case. In accordance with this, he'd shed his most powerful equipment and stowed it away, only to be used in the gravest of situations. For the rest, he could get by with normal gear. 

"This is all for me, right?" he chortled jokingly, gesturing at all of the food she'd so diligently prepared for them with his free hand.

Considering how their last meeting had gone, one might think that their current interaction was forced. The two of them desperately clinging to whatever semblance of normality that remained between them, hoping that, with enough persistence, they could make it their new normal. An emulation of the old. Bahr had been there before, with others, but not with Lessa. Everything was as organic and natural as ever, perhaps even more so. They'd slipped right back into the swing of things without skipping a beat. How'd they get lucky enough to make that happen?

In fact, something seemed different about her. Not bad, of course. She seemed so much more cheery and upbeat than usual. Bahr almost felt as though he had been bathing in positive energy ever since he'd entered her house, and he couldn't truthfully say that he disliked it. It was so infectious that he was only just beginning to realize that he was smiling at her like an absolute dork. But even in that realization, he didn't care. She'd properly disarmed him, his walls were down, and he was willing to be goofy and maybe even look a bit stupid. It was Lessa. He was safe here.

"But really. Thank you Ace." He leaned forward a second time, his lips finding her forehead this time. He pressed his frame against hers and rested his chin against her head. "It looks fantastic. Edible, even."

So what's the occasion? Or was that too forward? Is this what you 'really wanted' to show me? Too dick-ish. Though, it would be par for the course. You seem particularly happy today. Yeah, let's just make her feel like she's a bump on a log the rest of the time. That's the way to do it.

Gold had faded to tangerine, and tangerine was quickly becoming scarlet. His index finger idly worked back and forth against the impossibly smooth surface of the marble as he studied the way the crimson caught in the airborne dust. For a moment, he let his mind go blank and simply enjoy the moment. Why worry about what was going to happen, if what was happening now was so perfect? They this gorgeous space on a beautiful floor, a pure and untarnished sunset, and each other. He'd be a fool to let that slip by without allowing himself to experience it in the moment.

"I'm really happy you asked me to come. I've missed you." Maybe a little clingy, but better than the other options. After a moment, he planted another kiss against her forehead and slid his body away from hers. In the bottomless azure of her eyes, he could see it. That she'd missed him, too. And... something else, that he couldn't quite put his finger on. Whatever it was, it had prompted that goofy grin to stretch across his face again. It was impossible not to smile when she was like this. "And this. You have a crazy effect on me."

"So you just started without me? How inconsiderate."

Already flustered, some of the color drained from Lessa's face. "No, I didn't, I just-" When her wide blue eyes found his playful bi-colored ones, her lips drew into a paper-thin line. "You're messing with me, aren't you?" She leveled a mostly-forced critical gaze, but the expression vanished the instant his lips found hers. Even with a willpower of steel, she could not have kept up the charade; a slow, easy smile unfurled like early morning fog.

That smile widened as Bahr pressed a light kiss to her forehead. Just as he stepped into her, she moved into him, her arms slipping around his torso to draw him closer. Despite the fantasy world they found themselves in, everything about that moment felt perfectly real. Lessa felt the coarse fabric of his jacket as her thumb absently, endlessly stroked his back. She felt his steady heartbeat, heard his soft inhales of breath above her head. Even the smell of him registered as uniquely Bahr, a fact that one-hundred-percent confirmed she was behaving like a teenage girl. When was the last time I acted like this? she distantly mused, even as she drew him closer, buried her face in his neck. She was a grown-ass woman in the middle of a death game. Was she really going to go mushy at the use of a pet name?

Yes, in fact, she was.

"You're welcome," she finally managed, shifting so she rest her cheek against him. Now facing toward the wall of windows, Lessa gazed out over the lake. The glass surface reflected the electric sky, the water set aflame in one of nature's many miracles. Before Sword Art Online, Alyssa had been fortunate enough to see stunning works of art through school field trips, travelling galleries, and simple craft fairs. Paintings, digital art, photographs, and even cross-stitch masterpieces had attempted to capture the beauty of a lake-side sunset. None had ever succeeded. Perhaps a person had to see it first-hand to feel the magic, and there was no one else with whom Lessa would rather experience it with.

As he slipped away, her eyes snapped back to his as if drawn by magnets. In the mismatched gaze she found both warmth and intensity, both comforting heat and hot electricity. There was a longing, too, and one she figured reflected back in her own stare. He grinned, and so did she. "I've missed you too," she confessed. It's been a weird couple of days. The last time we saw each other was really rocky, and-

No, none of it needed to be said. But there were other things that needed saying. Or, better yet, needed showing. "Now," she began, "you're probably wondering why I brought you out here. I promise, it's for more than just sandwiches, though you should eat those sooner than later. If the chicken goes bad while we wait, and you get food poisoning, you can't pin that on me." To demonstrate, the blonde snatched a plate, plopped a sandwich on it, and began pouring herself a glass of lemonade. "Also, I feel bad rushing you, but we do have something of a schedule to stick to." When she ventured a quick peek from the second cup of lemonade, mischief danced across her face. "Places to be."

"I've missed you too," he heard her say as he reached for one of the sandwiches. The fact that he'd been expecting it didn't stop it from practically making him melt. Silently, but with a gigantic grin, he rose the food to his lips and took a bite as Lessa continued on. He'd nod occasionally, idly, unable to offer much more verbally than a muffled, "Mm-hmmf," on account of the sandwich he was practically inhaling. Luckily, Bahr was already halfway through one of the sandwiches by the time Lessa got around to explaining they had a schedule to stick to. He supposed that had to be one of the advantages of having such a big mouth.

Big bites.

"I think I see what's happening here," Bahr responded when he'd finally allowed enough of the meal to slide down his gullet to speak with a modicum of the clarity necessary to actually communicate anything meaningful. "I take you out on a fancy schmancy date. Now you're gonna take me out on a fancy schmancy date." He eyeballed the last of the sandwich that remained in his hand and, after determining it was possible, stuffed the whole thing in his mouth. After a moment of thoughtful chewing, he swallowed it all in one mighty gulp. Attractive, surely. "I like this. This should be, like, a tradition or something. You and I trading dates."

Recalling her warning regarding the chicken, Bahr grabbed a fork and got a nice helping of a salad skewered onto it. But as he rose the morsel to his lips, a thought occurred to him, and he stopped. "Wait. Can we actually get food poisoning here?"

Despite the silliness of the statement, Lessa broke into a grin. "Trading dates is kind of the point, I think," she replied. Sure, Bahr was teasing her again, but Lessa found she didn't mind it so much. She bit into her own sandwich, her bites not nearly as impressive as his, though not dainty, either. There was nothing, nothing, dainty about Lessa. As such, she'd finished the thing in half a dozen bites, and was washing it down with a gulp of lemonade, when she recalled something else he'd said. Forcing a hard swallow, she wiped her lips across the back of her hand. "It's not gonna be fancy schmancy," she informed him matter-of-factly. Smoothly, she poked a finger into his midsection. "If that's what you're looking for, you'd better trade me in for a different model."

"Wait. Can we actually get food poisoning here?"

The blonde shrugged, plucked a grape from Bahr's fork, popped it in her mouth. "Maybe. Probably not. But if we can, it'll be my cooking that gets us there." As she wiped her fingers on the kitchen towel, she added, "Can you imagine dying from food poisoning, though? Having that written on the monument? Leaving behind Salmonella as your legacy?" I'd rather be killed by a boar. Fortunately, Lessa caught herself before she could say the last line. It was insensitive, and untrue - too many had died to boars and low-level threats, and she did not wish to be among them. Instead, she chugged the rest of her lemonade.

"Whenever you're ready," she began, "we can go. It's a bit of a walk. I was just going to leave Riker here, and you're welcome to leave Bajesus if you're comfortable with that."

"It's a bit of a walk. I was just going to leave Riker here, and you're welcome to leave Bajesus if you're comfortable with that."

Bahr, in the middle of the glass of lemonade he'd been chugging, stopped and peered at Swine Bajesus out of the corner of his eye. Seemed the critter had made himself perfectly at home with Riker, the pair having claimed a spot on one of Lessa's insanely comfortable couches. Riker had curled up into somewhat of a ball, surrounding the content afterthought of a pig with a blanket of fur. They both seemed pleased with the arrangement, and Bahr liked the idea of an outing with Lessa that went on undisturbed. So, he lowered the half empty glass from his lips and listened to its light chink as he gently set it down on the counter top.

"Sounds good to me," he surmised, giving a subtle motion toward them. "We'll let them have a lazy day. No way I'd want to get in the middle of that." After observing them for a moment, Bahr leaned in toward his girlfriend, catching hints of the lavender that wafted from her golden mane as he lowered his voice and asked, "Think they've got a crush on each other?" Swine Bajesus, almost as though directly prompted, opened its beady little eyes into tiny slits, glaring at Bahr before letting loose an annoyed huff and nuzzling back into its cuddling partner. Bahr held back a chortle, then let his eyes trail to find hers. "Think that's our cue. Let's get going."

Lessa smiled, before setting her own empty glass down on the counter beside Bahr's. "Think you're right. We can clean this up later," she decided, gesturing to the mess they'd left behind in the wake of their shared appetite with a single hand. That hand then took one of Bahr's as she moved past him, gently tugging to usher him down the single step that separated the kitchen from the rest of the open space and toward the sliding glass that comprised the wall that it all shared. It obliged her influence and opened easily, granting them entry out onto a porch with a gorgeous view of the lake below.

Waves of gold danced on the body of water's surface, but despite how beautiful the sight was, Bahr found his eyes drawn instead to the adirondack chairs that filled the deck's space. Though Bahr and Lessa had never failed to either make a connection or strengthen a connection anywhere they went, there was something really special about this space. They'd sat here for hours after sharing their first kiss. Talking about past boyfriends, girlfriends - or, rather, things that almost were, or weren't. Not that any of that really mattered now. But it was still a memory he cherished, and everything seemed to move in slow motion as they traversed the wooden planks. 

"I certainly didn't think periods and poop would make you want to kiss me."

Bahr grinned as the memory surfaced, practically able to hear her voice and the tone it had carried in that exact moment. But, as quickly as they'd made their way onto the porch, they made their way off of it; down the attached stairs that led them down the slope on the opposite side of the property from whence he came. It wasn't that Lessa was in a rush, that wasn't the energy that she was giving off. Just that she was excited. Bahr could tell, because the enthusiasm was infectious. The further they got, the more excited he became at the prospects for what lay beyond. 

"It's not too far," she informed him as they made their way down the steep steps. "Just a lot of steps to get there." Wood eventually met with dirt, a trail hollowed out of the environment that continued to lead downward. Thin tree branches stretched out over the path and shaded it with a canopy of thick leaves, small trails shooting off and carving through the dense foliage in seemingly random sections as what Bahr could only assume were hiking trails. Sections of carefully assembled cobblestone separated each patch of dirt from the next, creating makeshift stairs that allowed the path to remain relatively flat despite the steady decline.

It occurred to Bahr on their way down that she'd never brought him this far into her estate. Was it a new addition, or had he simply neglected it in the past? "Haven't been down this way," he mentioned nonchalantly as they made their way down the steps, arms swinging slightly in sync as their fingers remained interlaced. "Somehow I'd convinced myself that your property was just the house. But looks like there's more than meets the eye, just as with so many other things when it comes to you."

"Mhmm," came her murmured confirmation. Though her gaze remained fixed on the steps ahead - it would be just her luck to miss a step and drag them both down - she gave his hand the occasional squeeze. "I was actually able to snag quite a bit of property. It cost a lot, but I've always thought it was worth the price tag. Having all of this land to myself, and knowing that no one is going to just come stomping through my yard." Her voice trailed, a pleased smile curling her lips. "Yeah, no, there's nothing better than some good old privacy in a game like Sword Art." Only then did the rest of his statement register. Risking life and limb, Lessa tore her eyes from the path, looked up at Bahr. Bathed in the dying sunlight, she was certain she had never seen anything more beautiful.

"That's sweet," she finally managed. "You're sweet. And yeah, I guess I'm not the open book I always assumed I was. But same goes for you, you know. I feel like I'm constantly discovering something about you that I didn't know before. It's honestly really exciting."

By that point, the pair had reached the bottom of the steps. Having left the serenity of the lake-side cottage behind, the trail that sprawled before them consisted mainly of hard-packed earth and slabs of stone. "The steps take you right to the base of one of the mountains," she explained to him, motioning with her free hand. "It's not especially steep, but it's still a climb. I hope you don't mind too much." If he did, Lessa did not allow Bahr time to say as much. She was already striding forward, tugging gently on his arm, coaxing him along. 

Trees still stood like silent soldiers, silhouetted against the darkening sky. Towering over both Lessa and Bahr, they effectively blocked their view on either side. Good, Lessa mused with a satisfied smirk. Even Mother Nature, it seemed, was eager to help make the surprise a success. Adding a dash of the whimsical, lightning bugs began to emerge from their hiding spots, taking flight, and winking magically among the thick vegetation. Though the sight was alluring, she had no problem turning away from it to study him while they walked.

"Speaking of discovering things, you should tell me a secret. It can be anything, as serious or silly as you want. Just tell me something I don't already know." Because I want to know it all. 

It wasn't long before the path widened, revealing moss-covered stony features and thick, monolithic trees. Each timber edifice stood sentry in phalanx, shielding them from the ever reddening horizon and whatever else lay beyond. It was the perfect mixture of being out in the open and maintaining privacy. Exposed to nature, but seemingly closed off from the other patrons that skulked its features. In a way, it felt like they had stepped into their own little world. Though, Bahr often felt that way around her.

As though realizing that the mysticism hadn't yet reached its peak, the surrounding vegetation deployed countless lightning bugs to replace the waning glow of the setting sun. The luminescence they provided equally as dull and pervasive as the low hum emitted from their wings, the private, romantic atmosphere seemed fully cemented. Had she planned this? Learned the times and the patterns of this area? Bahr wouldn't put it past her. She had said they had a schedule to keep to.

"Speaking of discovering things, you should tell me a secret. It can be anything, as serious or silly as you want. Just tell me something I don't already know."

Put on the spot, just like that. She knew how to pick her moments.

"Hmm, that's tough." No it wasn't. He knew exactly what he wanted to say. He just couldn't. Yet. "Alright, I've got something," he hummed, eyes flickering to peer at her. "I already knew that a mistletoe was a poop branch. I didn't care. I still wanted to use it as an excuse to kiss you." He chuckled a bit, then added, "Alright, now it's your turn."

"You- you did?" The blush came quickly, creeping up from beneath her breastplate and spreading rapidly. "Why didn't you tell me? Or shut me up before I went on my little rant, and- ah. Right." The rest of his statement finally sank in. Because he wanted to kiss me. The half-laugh she gave sounded a bit like a balloon deflating. Yet beneath the white-hot embarrassment rode a more mild contentment. The sweetness of it all, the sweetness of him, left her feeling just a bit unsteady. The sensation wasn't altogether unpleasant. In fact, she decided she could get used to Bahr's unique brand of charm. Lifting their joined hands to her lips, she brushed a feather-light kiss against his fingers. Then, she gave his arm a gentle swing as it fell between them once more.

They walked like that for a moment, hand in hand, a contemplative expression on Lessa's face. Finally, she began, "Mine is kind of silly. You remember how I've been trying to clear out my quest log? I've been tackling some of the stuff that's really way too low-level for me, but the experience is still pretty good. Anyway." Her gaze tracked ahead, tracing the trail that slowly led up the mountain. The incline was by no means steep, but it certainly wasn't leisurely, either. Even Oliver, who had always up for anything, had complained a bit after this particular hike. They'd scaled mountain after mountain together, and despite the physical toll, they had struck gold on the peak nearest Manderley. Somehow, the whole thing seemed strangely destined to be. With Oliver's seal of approval, she'd known they had found the place.

"Okay, so I took the Calming the Soul quest, right? The description said something about fighting demons, so I went in expecting to fight little guys with horns or something. Only that's not what it was. Apparently, I was fighting my inner demons. I had to fight the people who gave me the skills to do so, like my actual friends." Shyly, she stated, "You were actually one of them. It was really weird, and I really, really didn't want to fight you."

Tugging his arm close to her body, she wrapped her other hand around his. As she clung to him, and the last of the day surrendered to night, she recalled the quest's Bahr's final words to her. And she smiled. "But I did, because, you know, experience and all that."

Bahr walked silently, willingingly surrendering his arm when she seized it and listening intently as she explained her experience with Calming the Soul. Invasive imagery of his last experience with that quest ran on a loop in his mind, forcing a hallowed, muted grimace to stretch across his features. But as quickly as his visage distorted, he let it fall slack and neutral once more. She was opening up to him, telling him her secrets. The last thing she needed to see was Bahr recoiling from it. 

Especially if he'd looked anything in her quest like the ghastly apparitions that haunted him during that expedition.

"Can't say I blame you," Bahr finally responded after a long pause. "I fought some people I didn't really want to fight during that quest, too. Besides, I can be a dick sometimes. I'm sure it was a good outlet for any lingering frustration I may have inflicted upon you." Beaming now, Bahr did what he could to shield her from the discomfort he felt thinking about it. Both from the idea of her killing him, and the memories replaying themselves.

For the moments that followed, Bahr went back on forth as to whether or not he should provide more insight into his own experience with Calming the Soul. Mention Kit, and how she represented Pride. Inform her about the tears he shed upon seeing Kirbs again, in the virtual flesh. Tell her about seeing Zayne, and killing him again. And again. And again. 

But what good would digging up all of that pain do for an evening like this, when she was going out of her way to show him a good time? Not only would it be inconsiderate, all he would be doing is hijacking her story. Instead, he'd offer something a bit lighter. 

"You remember our first official date, right?" he inquired suddenly. Then, after realizing how silly a question it must have seemed, he quickly added, "Of course you do. You loved it." He gave her hand a squeeze. "I showed you a message I'd archived. Told you that all of me was yours if you would be mine. I composed that after repeating Calming the Soul - like, seconds after." Without realizing it, his eyes had drifted to scanning her features. Studying her reaction. "I took the quest again just so I could tell you that with a clear conscience. And even though I didn't want to wait, telling you something like that over the Aincrad equivalent of a text just didn't feel right."

He waved his hand through the air dismissively, almost as though batting away the concept altogether. "So I wrote a message telling you I was taking you out on a date, instead. Sent it, then immediately went to get things prepped. Don't think I ever told you that, so it's basically an extra secret. Free of charge."

"Besides, I can be a dick sometimes. I'm sure it was a good outlet for any lingering frustration I may have inflicted upon you."

"Oh no, it was nothing like that." Though she did laugh at the thought of blowing off steam by beating him up. "You've really only given me a few reasons to resort to physical harm, and I've gotten over those." Slyly, she slanted him a look. "Mostly."

"Buy yeah, no, I wasn't hacking you to pieces or anything." Had she ever said that phrase in her entire life? Could she have possibly conjured up anything less romantic? Apparently, saying the wrong thing at the right time would continue to be their legacy, harkening back to the mistletoe incident. "It was really civil. And honestly, kind of nice. We talked, and we fought, but it was actually kind of fun once we actually got started. I-uhm, learned a lot from you. So I guess the quest served it's purpose."

After Bahr had shared his story, Lessa shook her head in disbelief. "Sounds like we both benefited from calming our souls, huh?" But something of what he'd said stuck with her. Cleared his conscience? Did that have something to do with Pinball? Or that woman he had mentioned on their first date? Though Bahr had shared bits and pieces, Lessa never felt like she had quite enough to put the whole puzzle together. That fact nagged at her occasionally, though she wished to God she could ignore it. What good would jealousy do either of them?

She gave his hand a sharp squeeze, as if to rid herself of the negative thoughts. It was too beautiful a night, and he was too perfect a companion. "We'll have to duel sometime, you and I, so I can see if it holds up to my fantasy." Beaming a grin, she added, "I've got to know if I can knock your socks off a second time."

The ground suddenly shifted beneath their feet, a sharp climb into the heavens. "Home stretch," Lessa informed him. "This part's a bit steep, but there are still a few trees you can pull yourself up with." Dropping his hand, the blonde shifted to pick her way up the final hundred meters. Once she'd reached the summit, she reached back for his hand, took it, and tugged him up with her.

Like the first precious seconds in a planetarium, space simply bloomed around them. Even to compare the sky to a black canvas would be inaccurate, as the night was alive with color. Stars burned above as abundant as pebbles below, and distant galaxies formed complex patterns to make scientists and poets weep. Deep blue, electric yellow, even the faint greens and pinks of Aincrad's own auroras. Then there was rich purple, and stark red. Their colors. Mother Nature had done it again.

As Bahr took in their surroundings, Lessa summoned her HUD, dragged out a thick blanket. With the quick flap of fabric, she had it spread over the earth. "Here," she murmured, "lie down. It's even better when it's all you can see."

The thought of dueling Lessa had Bahr's stomach doing flips. They were both capable fighters, and it would certainly be a great fight, but Bahr couldn't help but remember the way she had described Alkor running his blade through her without a second thought. If he were to do the same, what would set him apart of the man he held such palpable disdain for? If he didn't, what did that say about his respect for Lessa?

And moreover, what made him feel so confident that he would be the one doing it to her?

But his attention quickly drifted from the vague quandary and to his footing, the pitch of their hike having suddenly become much more steep. He did his best to keep up with Lessa, but found that his footing wasn't quite so firm as hers. Try as he might, it was difficult to gain any meaningful traction against the slippery dirt path. But one step at a time, on foot ahead of another, he managed to at least haul himself up to a point where he could accept Lessa's offered hand and make it to the peak. 

And before he could bring his mind back to the duel, yet another thing captivated him. The main event; what she'd brought him here for. The sky had been set ablaze by the architecture of the cosmos, stitched together through the shared craftsmanship of Mother Nature and Father Time. It both held a pattern, and was patternless. Bright, yet dark. It was something that Bahr both understood, but admitted that he, and everyone else, hardly knew anything about. There was a duality to the spacescape that fit Bahr and Lessa perfectly. Something he couldn't quite put his finger on. Though, that made it all the more fitting.

"Wow," was all he managed as his mismatched eyes filled with the majesty of the overlapping nebulae sprawled out before them. He instinctively moved to be closer to Lessa, almost as though hoping that a hand on her would nail him in place and prevent him from drifting off toward the heavens. But by the time he'd made the movement, she had already prepared a spot just for them. 

"Here," she murmured, gesturing toward the blanket she'd laid out while he was distracted, "lie down. It's even better when it's all you can see." So, naturally, Bahr obliged, taking her hand and slowly guiding her down with him. They settled against the soft fabric shoulder-to-shoulder, the light from above playing in tandem with the lightning bugs that floated about to softly light their features. Bahr's hand found hers, and gave it a gentle squeeze as his thumb absently ran along her smooth skin. It was one of the few times in his life where he'd actually been rendered speechless, his thoughts completely consumed by the sky. And her. And the fact that she'd found this perfect little spot for the two of them that perfectly encapsulated the essence of them, and gone out of her way to put together an entire evening for it.

Eventually, he turned his head and studied her features. The deep cerulean of her eyes had been stained black by the darkness that surrounded them, save for the remnants of the cosmic tapestry above them that became captured there. In that moment, he saw the galaxy - the universe in her. She was everything.

"Thank you," he said softly, much lighter than he'd probably intended. The words slid from his mouth like weightless vapor, filling the space between them. Then, he added, "You're everything, Alyssa."

And I love you.

The words danced on the tip of his tongue, but nervousness crept up from his stomach and seized his throat before he could let it out. So instead, he pitched his attention back toward the heavens and enjoyed the moment. Hopefully, even if he couldn't say it, she could feel it.

"You're everything, Alyssa."

His nearness had sent her heart into a mad, frenzied gallop. Yet with three words, it stopped. Her entire body trembled, and breathed deeply in a futile attempt to steady herself. Was there really any steadiness with him in her life? Did she really want there to be? Since the day they'd met, he'd been on her mind constantly. Sometimes, she reflected on their time spent together. Other times, she wondered what he was doing, and if he was thinking of her. But the majority of her time was spent simply remembering that he was out there, and letting that knowledge move over her like a warm, spring breeze. Nothing about him was plain, or safe, or steady. And maybe that was how she preferred it. Maybe that was what she really needed.

That, and to tell him what weighed heavy on her heart. She had sought out this spot with only a casual date in mind, yet after her experience in the Calming the Soul quest, everything had changed. How could she possibly look at him the same way again? How could she keep going with this weight on her chest? 

Lessa drew in a long, slow breath. Perhaps it was all in her head, but she would have sworn the cool, crisp air on the 22nd floor had numerous magical properties. One was to clear her mind, another was to calm her shaking. Now I just need it to give me some courage.

”Bahr,” she began on something akin to a croak. “When I told you about the Calming the Soul quest, I sort of summarized a bit. I didn’t tell you everything, but I want to. I need to.”

And so she did.

Words tumbled from lips like water over rapids, washing over both of them as they lie beneath the stars. Even though she had rehearsed her speech dozens of times, in the moment, she forgot all structure. Instead, Lessa let the story come however it cared to, reciting dialogue, describing action, as she played it all back. Taking him through her ordeal might have been cathartic, had it not been for the mounting tension around her heart. While she felt his eyes on her, her own remained on the cosmos, for glancing at him might cause her to lose her nerve. As the story raced toward its climax, she and Bahr neared a point of no return. They approached critical mass. I can’t turn back now.

“I figured out what the quest wanted me to learn, what it was you had taught me. Honestly, it didn’t come as too much of a shock, because I think I’ve known for a long time. I just... I didn’t know what I was supposed to do about it. But I think I know now. I’m supposed to tell you.”

Lessa propped herself up on her elbow, shifted so that she faced him. Though she turned her back on stars and galaxies, she looked into the face of someone who put them all to shame. With an unsteady hand, she reached out to brush fingers against his cheek. 

Tell me later.

I can’t wait any longer.

“I love you, Apollo.”

Bahr listened to the stunning accuracy with which Lessa described her ordeal within Calming the Soul, taken aback also by how accurate its iteration of him had been. Aside from the tiniest of details, it sounded as though the quest had generated a near perfect replica of him. It was equally as strangely unnerving as it was a relief. While it was odd to think of another entity that looked like Bahr, but wasn't Bahr hugging her, kissing her, he knew that it was ultimately a manifestation of how she saw him. It was as true a representation that could possibly be imagined aside from the real deal. And the fact that she held him in high enough regard to visualize him like that? Well, that was something special.

“I figured out what the quest wanted me to learn, what it was you had taught me. Honestly, it didn’t come as too much of a shock, because I think I’ve known for a long time. I just... I didn’t know what I was supposed to do about it. But I think I know now. I’m supposed to tell you.”

Having seemingly reached the end of her story, she turned and propped herself up on her elbow. Bahr mimicked the motion, propping himself up so that they could look another in the eyes as her slender fingers slid across his cheeks and cradled his head. Everything about them was bathed in the mystical light of night. The moon, the stars, and the lightning bugs had worked together in tandem to create a dull glow that perfectly highlighted every wonderful facet of her features. Her stained-black eyes, the flecks of white that filled them, the softness of the curves in her visage, and the slightly dreamy expression they had molded into. He heard and felt his heart in his ears as it pounded away, waves of excited nervousness pulsing from his core and through his extremities as he patiently awaited her ultimate revelation. 

“I love you, Apollo.”

And then those waves turned to tsunamis, rippling through his body with such unrelenting force that he almost became nervous that it would be visible from the outside. It was his first time ever having someone - anyone outside of family - say it to him. So the heartbeats drummed away in his ears until it was all that he could hear. All he could do for a moment was stare at her, wide eyed, doing his best to process the information. He probably looked petrified. Somehow, it was so much easier for him to come to grips with the fact that he was in love with her than it was to hear that she returned the feeling. Now it wasn't just something that he felt; it was something that was shared between them, and that made it infinitely more powerful.

Doing what he could to soften his expression, he closed his eyes and leaned forward to rest his forehead against hers. As though trying to read her thoughts, or convey his to her. But he knew it wasn't enough. He needed to say it. He wanted to say it.

"I love you too, Alyssa. I have for a long time," he admitted, voice quiet and soft. Then, before either of them could say anything else, he leaned forward a little more and took her lips with his. He scooted a bit closer as his hand cradled her head in a similar fashion to how hers held his, fingers interlacing with her golden mane as he held her near to him. He took his time and, when he'd had his fill, slowly parted their lips from one another and opened his eyes to see her again. There she was, the same as she'd always been. Yet, somehow different. They'd crossed a boundary from which there was no coming back, but that didn't scare Bahr one bit. More than anything, he was absolutely exhilarated by it.

Because he didn't want to go back. He wanted to keep moving forward, with her. In that moment, it was the only thing that mattered to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

She'd screwed up.

It was as if each star had slipped from its perch in the heavens to crash down on Lessa all at once. The enormous weight, the sharp lurch in her stomach, the feeling of being suddenly, violently ill - Lessa was entombed in the very emotions she had freed herself of only seconds before. His mismatched eyes grew as wide and round as twin moons, the shock unmistakable as it splashed across his face. The night's vibrant colors seemed to bring his expression into stark relief, unease rippling across his face like the aurora across the night sky. What else lurked there? Apprehension? Fear? Disgust? 

Yet at the same time she drew back, apologies and excuses lining up along her lips, he drew her closer. Every muscle tensed instinctively, and Lessa prepared herself for the blow that was soon to follow. Of course, Bahr would never strike her, but the rejection would pack far more of a punch than any physical contact. In fact, she would rather face a fist than the devastation his words could bring about.

The feather-light brush of his warm breath along her skin was the first thing she remembered. After that, it all went a bit hazy.

"I love you too, Alyssa. I have for a long time." 

Had she heard him correctly? Lessa seemed to remember him saying that he loved her, but the words were somewhat warped, as if heard underwater. Yes, that had to be it, as she was surely drowning in him. Though she swore her heart pistoned too quickly in her chest, it's slow, steady beat filled her head. Then even that grew muted as he consumed every last part of her. She needed air, and a moment to think, but Lessa was too far gone. Even if she'd had the control, she wouldn't have surfaced for anything.

It was he who brought her back, drawing her up with him as he finally ended the kiss. It took a few seconds for her eyes to slip open, and when they did, they gazed dreamily back at him. At some point, her hand had slipped to the back of his neck. Gently, she brushed her thumb along his skin, let her fingers move into his hair. The simple fact was, Lessa would have been content to stay on that mountain top forever. There was nothing more to do, nothing left to say, and all was perfect in that single moment.

So when she heard her own voice shatter the fragile, magical silence that hung between them, Lessa hardly recognized the raspy, breathless sound. "I thought you were going to say that you didn't love me back."

• 2 months later...

"I thought you were going to say that you didn't love me back."

Though he didn't mean to, he allowed a breathy snicker to loose from his lips. Bothersome in the way that it likely sounded condescending, even if it wasn't. "What's not to love?" he countered, offering the blonde a warm and sincere smile. "You're everything. I couldn't ask for more. Us finding each other, it almost feels like..."

Fate? That word he'd hated for so long. Though, admittedly, at a time like this it seemed more endearing and romantic than he remembered. Like two estranged puzzle pieces finding each other amid a horrifying storm, or long lost twins discovering one another for the first time. Whether you called it 'fate' or something else, something had interwoven their realities into a single beautiful tapestry. The only question was whether the knitting pins had been placed in the hands of Bahr and Lessa, or if a more celestial being had orchestrated the sewing of their mismatched fabrics into one.

"Fate, I guess," he finally admitted on an exhale. The fact that he could even bring himself to utter such verbiage was a testament to just how much had changed since he'd met her. "Who could have thought that we would find each other in a place like this, when we both needed each other the most? And who you turned out to be, I mean..." The words spilled from him now like water through a fractured levee. "The Violet Guardian. Defender of Sanctuary. The woman with the biggest, purest heart in all of Aincrad. Someone capable, and strong, and brave. Someone who could bring even a monster back from the edge."

There was a small beat of silence, and then, "So yeah, how couldn't I love you?"

• 3 weeks later...

His words had the strangest effect on her. Even as they warmed her to the core, they sent shivers dancing like fingertips across her skin. Once he finished, and his final question hung in the space between them, Lessa simply sank into the happiness that swamped her. Surely, the swirling galaxies above cast enough light to reveal the red in her cheeks. In an attempt to hide her embarrassed pleasure, she pressed gently on his shoulder, guiding him back onto the blanket. Once the swordsman was lying down again, she fit herself against him. One long arm draped across his midsection as her cheek nestled in the fold of his jacket. 

That dang jacket, she thought, even as she turned to breathe in it's familiar scent. He had been wearing it the first time she saw him, fabric spilling like blood across the black, stone floor. Despite the oddness of the situation, Lessa thought of their chance encounter often. It was grief that had brought Bahr to his knees that afternoon, and guilt that had driven her to the Monument of Life day after day. How strangely poetic it was that so much darkness could give way to such light.

"I never thought you were the kind of guy to believe in fate," she admitted finally. "But I'm glad you do. It means I'm not the only one who believes this all worked out the way it was supposed to." Letting her blue eyes drift closed, the girl focused only on the steady beat of Bahr's heart. "That all of the crap, and all of the hard stuff, all led here. That makes it all seem a little easier to swallow. And instead of dreading the next couple of years, I'm actually planning for them. I want to fight again. It's cheesy, but I guess I want to live again." She paused, then on a soft sigh, she concluded, "That's largely because of you."

With the rustle of fabric, her hand moved to find his, and she interlaced their fingers. "I remember the first time we met, at the Monument. You probably don't remember, but you said something that stuck with me. You said it would all be meaningless once you got out. I- well, I hope you know that's not true now."

It wasn't long after Bahr felt Lessa's fingers snaking around that he heard her voice. It was almost slightly timid, a little unlike her. She usually had a lot of conviction on her voice, but Bahr wasn't about to blame her for feeling anxious about all of this. It was new territory.

"I remember the first time we met, at the Monument. You probably don't remember, but you said something that stuck with me. You said it would all be meaningless once you got out. I- well, I hope you know that's not true now."

He rolled the words around silently for a moment, contemplating how they made him feel now. So much had changed. When Bahr looked in the mirror now, he didn't see the soldier he saw back then. A fighter, sure. But it wasn't the same. He'd learned to be so much more. A friend, an ally, a leader. A lover. But he knew that what she said held more weight than how it affected just him. The question beneath it all was whether or not this was all real.

She was wondering if what they shared would be the same outside the game. It was something that Bahr honestly hadn't given much thought to. It felt real to him, game or not. He hadn't even considered, until that moment when her fingers so tentatively grasped his, what anxieties she may have been feeling with this whole thing. It wasn't just a budding romance anymore. It was real now.

"I do. Maybe the lines have blurred a bit, but I outside of the stats and abilities, I feel a strong connection to the realism of this game." Probably a weird way to put it. "That is, I'm going to carry my experiences with me here into the real world," he corrected, before realizing that didn't sound much better. Finally, he took a deep breath and gave Lessa's hand a reassuring squeeze to let her know he understood.

"Like our relationship, if that's okay with you."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THREAD COMPLETE

Thread net gains: 
Lessa
2 SP
200 col

Bahr
2 SP
200 col