[F03-PP] The Silent Church <<Feeding the Enemy>>

Spoiler

Any Floor
<<Feeding your Enemy>>
Recommended Level: Any
Repeatable if you no longer have a familiar | Party Limit: 2

Rewards:

• A familiar of your choice (within guidelines).
  • 1 Skill Point (first completion only).

Requirements:

• RP meeting the gypsy and obtaining the food from her.
  • Obtain a familiar.
  • At least 1 page (20 posts).

Summary:

An old gypsy NPC approaches you, telling tales of how she tamed monsters. Giving you some food, she tells you how to tame your own familiar.

Outline:

Once every 15th post, the party leader may roll to search for a familiar. On a roll of 15+ LD (normal LD enhancements apply), you successfully find a potential familiar.

Once a potential familiar is found, that party leader has 4 attempts to tame it. Taming is a post action that is successful on a CD roll of 9+. If the party leader fails all 4 attempts, the potential familiar becomes untamable and a new one may be searched for in 15 posts. 

If the roll to tame is met, you have successfully attained a familiar. Return the <<Familiar Food>> to the Gypsy NPC to complete the quest. Only one familiar may be found per thread.

Spoiler

Snow's Stats
Level: 16
|| HP: 320 || EN: 32 ||

Blessing Set: || DMG: 5 || ACC: 1 || MIT: 35 || THN: 9 || LD: +3 (+4) (CD+1) || BLD: 12/8-10 || 
|| Sif's Needle [+1ACC] [+2BLD] || Freya's Spite [+18MIT] [+9THN] || Sif's Farewell [+3LD] ||
Skills: || Rank 2 Two Handed Assault Spear || Rank 3 Heavy Armor || Concentration || Rank 1 First Aid ||
Housing Buffs: || Rested || Relaxed || Clean || Tasty || Angler || Hard Working ||
Consumed Items: || Spy Glass (2/3) || Cheerful March - Allure (+2 LD Familiar Only) || Hazelnut Cookie Rounds (+2 LD) || Extracted Perfume (+1 CD Familiar Training) ||
QUICK SLOTS: || Spy Glass (2/3) ||

A Continuation of: A Friend of Nature

In the forests between Flora and The Defiled Church, a lone girl stood with her spear in hand. Several trees around her displayed the markers of <<Immortal Object>> which soon faded. The grass at her feet still laid bent by the wolf which recently perished by her blade. The young player hoisted the length of Sif's Needle, her spear, to her back. It came to rest as if holstered by some manner of magic as she rose from a knelt position. 

"Kill or be killed," Snow stated for no one to hear. 

The tone of her voice dripped with sadness and remorse for the wolf she had put out of its misery. It attacked her first and left her no choice, but the game's cruel mimicry of the real world caused Snow distress.

Would another player have just let it bleed out? Am I getting worked up for nothing?

The girl let out a sigh. Her journey to find a companion to tame had been fruitless so far. Yet, The Defiled Church, was only a few more minutes away. There, Snow wanted to try and see if she could find a friend to take home. Sometimes, she liked to just sit in the shade of the church's walls and watch the swallows fly overhead. The deer and boars would keep to the treeline while she would doze off in the warm afternoon weather. Despite the building barring entry to all adventurers, she enjoyed its aesthetic and the consuming nature all around.

Edited by Snow
Spoiler

LVL: 16

HP320 | EN: 32 | DMG: 3 | MIT: 40 ACC: 0 |  EVA: 0 | LD: +3

+18 Thorns (When hit by a Non-Critical attack, deal unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy.)

+1 First Aid (Heal 4% of a target party member’s maximum HP (rounded down). Cannot target the user.)

+1 Taunt (Gain +1 Hate when using Howl, Focused Howl, and on successful attacks.)

MODIFIED STATS

HP: 0 | EN : 0 | DMG : 0 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0

BUFFS

Unused

Unused

Unused

EQUIPPED ITEMS

Accessory: Aladdin's Ring - Perfect Trinket [+3 Loot Die]

Armor: Impenetrable Shell "Achilles" - Perfect Heavy Armor [+27 Mitigation]

Shield: Lacerated Answer "Pridwen" - Perfect Shield [+1 Taunt | +18 Thorns]

BATTLE READY ITEMS

x5 Health Potions of Uncommon Quality [Heals a single target for 40 HP.]

x1 Damage Potion [Gain +1 Base Damage. Effect lasts for one thread.]

x1 Over-Health Potion [Adds +50 to your maximum HP. Effect lasts for one thread.]

x1 Super Lucky Matcha Mochi - [Gain +3 to the LD. Effect lasts for one thread.]

x1 True Point "Gae Bulg" - Perfect One-Handed Assault Spear [+3 Accuracy]

SKILLS & MODS

1. Block [Rank 1]

2. First Aid [Rank 1]

3. One-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 2]

4. Heavy Armor [Rank 1]

Survival

"What is it with locations being locked behind riddles?"

Agitated as usual, Galilea continued to pace back and forth in front of the church. Though pristine in appearance, the overgrowth surrounding it had diminished its rather uniquely beautiful exterior. With each pass, her brain racked itself for answer. The statue remained un-wavered and un-bothered by her constant frustration. Taking a breath, she stopped. Allowing the fogged air to pass through her several times before she opened her eyes and focused on her surroundings. there had to be clues somewhere. If this was truly a riddle, maybe it had already started. She needed to offer it something. The outstretched palm was seemingly a deterrent, but Galilea was under the impression there was more to it than that. Inspecting the statue first, she scoured the Buddha for clues towards what it desired. And for once she was in luck. Inscribed on the backside of the outfacing palm, was a small description.

There is no greater wealth in this world than peace of mind.

"What does that mean?" she questioned.

Roll:

ID: 150201 LD: 22 (19 + 3) [Clue Found]

1/3 Clues Found [Clues Found on a LD of 12 or more]

Edited by Galilea

Snow embarked toward the church and back to the path. The dense trees shaded her from the sun, occasionally breaking through the canopy to cast miniature spotlights on the floor below. Small animals scampered out of sight in the brush and fallen debris. Snow vaulted a tree that crossed over the path. That marker put her within eye-shot of the church. The path terminated at the end of the dense trees. Light filled the entrance to what would be a moderately open plain. There, the church would stand, engulfed by nature's creeping persistence and guarded by a religious icon.

Snow emerged into the light. Her hand covered her eyes as they painfully adjusted to the contrast. It looked perfectly as she remembered except for one thing out of place. Her eyes still adjusting, the blonde narrowed her vision into slits.

Purple hair... 

"Galilea?" Snow called out. "Is that you?"

She quickened her pace to the figure near the Buddha statue.

Edited by Snow

"Hmm"

Rising to her full stature, Galilea peered towards the entrance of the church pathway. Emerging from the light, blonde curls bounced into view. "Snow?" Galilea was surprised to see the girl since they had not spoken since their last encounter. Pushing the feeling aside, she embraced her with a brief hug. "Seems you've decided to adventure past the first floor huh. What brings you to the Defiled Church?" She would let the question hang while continuing her search for clues. The riddle seemed more like sagely advice than a clue, but it had to allude to something relevant in the area, or so she hoped. Glancing around there only seemed to be the remains of statues scarred by the force of the forest surrounding the church. However, only one of the statues had a missing piece.

"I wonder if this is what it meant by 'peace of mind'," she explained as she collected the fractured marble piece of missing skull form the ground around the statue.

Roll:

ID: 150644 LD: 20 (17 + 3) [Clue Found]

2/3 Clues Found [Clues Found on a LD of 12 or more]

Edited by Galilea

Snow smiled as she hugged Galilea. She was so kind before. It was nice to see another friendly face. This time, they had more in common than before. 

"I have! I've even figured out a good direction for where I want to go too!" She shared with excitement. Galilea wandered over to some marble statues that laid about the church. What was she looking for?

"Hmm, well..." Snow summoned her menus and produced a handful of <<Gogi Berries>> the old gypsy gave her. "I met some old lady in town that said she could make the animals around here her friends. My house gets a little quiet and lonely, so I thought I'd see if I could convince one to be my companion!"

Snow set the berries back to her quick menu. She saw Galilea pick up a piece of one of the statues and raised a single brow.

"I used to relax here and watch the anim-- what're you doing?"

@Galilea

"I'm searching for clues about how to get into this damned church," she answered simply. Rotating the piece in her hand, she looked for any inscriptions. Turning up empty handed, she focused back on Snow. She did not want to bore her with the details unless she asked. As it was probably just a rumor for a reason.

Curiosity took over the purple-haired girl as Snow mentioned she had figured out what she wanted to do. "I assume this is in regard to your build," she questioned. She looked over the skull piece quizzically before placing it back where it belonged. As she did, the skull glowed briefly. Glancing back towards the blonde, Galilea was surprised to hear she was undertaking the quest to obtain the familiar. Though, she had contemplated it herself, her skill set made searching for one harder at this level. But she commended Snow for it nonetheless. "What familiar did you have in mind? How's your searching going so far?"

Roll:

ID: 151187 LD: 17 (14 + 3) [Clue Found]

3/3 Clues Found [Clues Found on a LD of 12 or more]

@Snow

Edited by Galilea

Snow's train of thought drifted from Galilea to the object in her hand. She raised a brow and turned her attention to the large statue that barred entry to the church.

Can you enter the church? The handbook said it couldn't be entered... I wonder what's inside?

"Yeah, I spoke to a nice gentleman that helped me out with some of the basics. I didn't even know you could heal in this game. Silly, huh?" Snow let slip a nervous laugh. She also pointed to the area around her shoulders.

"And look!" Her finger moved from shoulder to shoulder. She wasn't exactly sure which side her health bar appeared to others. She just wanted to show off the matching guild icon. "I also made up my mind on a guild!"

"As for a familiar... I'm not sure yet. I don't know much about them other than I'd really just like something to keep my company in my home. Maybe something small?"

@Galilea

• 2 weeks later...

A grin found its way to her features, as the familiar icon of Jacob's Ladder sat pleasantly at the edge of health bar. "Ahh so you chose the worse bunch of ragtag to join eh," she razzed her teasingly. "And something small wouldn't be too bad I suppose. I have become fond of the idea of getting one myself. Perhaps a goblin snake. I've always liked those," she mused before returning her sights to the skull before her. An inscription, though unreadable, carved itself into the skull. Her hand glossed over the lettering. Suddenly the ground rumbled, and the door of the church slowly slid open, the statue had spun around and now seemed to be facing the open doorway.

Glancing to Snow, Galilea shrugged. "I'm not sure if your familiar is in there but might as well take a look since we're here no?" At least one thing was certain, the church being closed was proven to be a rumor if you knew what to do. Though she imagined this was still far too simple and began to wonder if this was a just a moment of choice circumstance enabled by Cardinal.

Snow smiled and laughed softly at Galilea's teasing words. Although a small guild and their leader disheveled, Snow felt comfortable around them. It reminded her of the best days with the Knights. So far, all of the members she met were very kind and supportive.

"It's a good group of people." Snow replied. Then, Galilea triggered something. The once thought impenetrable doors of the church cracked and groaned open. Moss and bits of dead wood loosed themselves from the door as it crept wide. The statue that once stood silent guardian now turned to welcoming doorman. For a brief moment, the blonde found her mouth agape. 

"Wow... I had no idea you could go in. I live just a few hours away from here. Yeah, let's check it out!" Snow nodded and mounted the steps with excitement. She slipped just past Galilea to get first peak at the interior. Wooden pews filled the expansive interior. Despite the overgrowth on the outside, the inside seemed largely uninterrupted. Aside from the few cracked marble panels in the floor and shattered "skylights" from years of neglect, it seemed untouched. Thankfully, the high, arched ceiling hid away any long standing spider webs. 

"It's a lot nicer inside that I thought. What'd you do to get it open anyway?" Snow asked as she walked further inside. She spun and looked around, head turned toward the muted murals on the ceiling. Several figures stood out in red robes like that of the Game Masters. Monsters, armored heroes, and rays of light were a common theme among the figures.

@Galilea

"Agreed," Galilea responded with a nod as Snow quickly stepped around her to investigate the newly opened door. Light barely crept in from the mosaic stained glass arched high above them. The wooden pews were aligned perfectly in two rows with the walkway splitting them down the middle. Snow's soft tone nearly startled Galilea as they had both waltzed in awe and silence.

"Err-rm ...honestly I have no idea what I did. I was told there was a riddle to get in the church, but like most things it was rumored to be a myth." Placing her hands on her hips, she traced the steps leading to the chambers and what she would assume was the pastor's office. Gesturing towards the doorway with a slight nod, she continued. "But obviously that rumor was also a rumor. That being said, I wouldn't put it above Cardinal to play a crude trick on us here and ambush us with some floor fifty level monsters," she explained with a groan tinted behind her words.

"Wanna continue still?"

@Snow

Spoiler

SpyGlass Reduces posts to find by 5.

ID# 153492 results: Battle: 2 Craft: 2 Loot: 5+7 MOB: 1 <<Searching for Familiar>>

FAILED

Galilea's writer is taking a reprieve with no determined date of return. Thread is transitioning to SP with mild bunnying of Galilea's character for contingency.

"Floor 50 monsters?" the panic in her voice echoed in the emptiness of the stone church. "That's... that hasn't happened before, has it?"

Galilea shrugged. "It's possible. But who knows? What's an adventure without a little bit of the unknown?"

Snow gulped. In a bit of worry, the blonde watched between each pew as she followed her companion to the back of the main chamber. She stood beside a door that must've lead to an office or room of sorts. Snow saw old dusty books jammed in little cubbies behind some of the seats' backs. Webs stretched between seat edge to seat back. She noticed a small mound of rodent bones tucked under one pew. Her mind ran frantic trying to think of what may have created it. Was it the spiders? Something bigger?!

"You sure you want to go deeper?" Snow asked.

"Well, we came this far."

"Okay, let's keep going. But if things get bad, let's get out of here as quick as we can."

Galilea nodded with a raised brow and pursed lips. "Of course."

Edited by Snow

Galilea opened the way for Snow like a guest would for their home. Inside, the room offered little light. A stained glass window, or what remained of it, at the back of the room let in a smattering of sunlight through vines that threatened to blot out any opening. Motes of dust danced through the rogue beams that found their way through the floral wall. In the middle of the room a large wooden desk sat slightly askew. One side hung lower than the other on the account it lacked the a pair of legs. Or rather, the legs on one side had long since rotted away in the humid environment of the third floor.

"How long do you think this has been here?" Snow asked as she entered cautiously.

"No idea. Looks long enough though." Galilea strode past Snow to a bookshelf that stood against the wall adjacent to the windowed one. Her lithe fingers traced just above the titles.

Snow walked up to the desk for a closer look and rounded behind it. Under the flat, dusty surface, a small outing for where a seat would be now housed a rats nest fashioned from chewed up fabric and the skeletal remains of one said chair.

Edited by Snow

Snow made a scowl at the heap of what she imagined to be pure disease and filth. Yet, she still felt compelled to check the drawers for anything useful. She tugged on one and it failed to yield. She tried another with similar results. Perhaps she lacked the skill to open them? Snow knew nothing of lock picks. She could try to break into them, but the length of her spear would make the attempt more awkward and difficult than need be.

"See anything interesting?" Asked Galilea as she switched to another shelf opposite the first. 

"No, not really," Snow admitted, not bothering with the two larger drawers. "They're locked and I don't think I have what's needed to open them."

"Maybe something to come back for?"

"Maybe..." Snow sighed. She turned to her friend with an inquisitive look. "What about you? See anything you like?"

Galilea brought a finger to her lips as she kept her focus on the various dusty tomes. "Not really. I doubt any of these religious books are my thing. I was hoping for something different I guess."

Edited by Snow

Something different?

What did she expect to find? Some light novels about romance? Fantasy? Then again, if this place were once used, it might make sense for the pastor to have something of the sort among their collection. Devoted or not, everyone needs an escape from the mundane. 

Snow's attentions drifted to the large curio seemingly illuminated by the streaks of light that shone through the foliage. The class of its two large cabinet doors were entirely opaque from years of neglect. Layers of humidity, condensation, and idle dust collected in one grimy layer, yet the glass remained in tact. She walked toward it. It stood nearly as tall as the girl. How had they missed it so close to the entrance? Surely something interesting must be inside.

"What have you got there?" Snow heard her partner inquire.

"Not sure, I'm going to take a look." Snow replied as her fingers graced the latch.

Edited by Snow

A high pitched shriek filled the room. The corpse of a rat leapt through the doors the moment she loosed the hook form the loop. Likely the culprit responsible for the nest beneath the desk. It's body lay motionless for a slight moment before shimmering and rupturing into a dash of glittering fragments. Snows hand gripped at the thundering heart in her chest.

"You okay?" asked Galilea with a hand on Snow's shoulder.

The girl could only nod as she caught her breath.

"Hmm? What's this?" Snow looked up to see Galilea fetch something from an ornate bowl. Now black, the ornate designs suggested it once shone bright silver. Likely a bowl of sorts. But what Galilea pulled from it looked to be a key on a chain. To what? Were there more mysteries to be found? For the moment, the young blonde would be more than content to find her breath and steel her nerves.

"Wonder if this goes to one of those drawers maybe?"

Edited by Snow

Snow focused on slowing her breath and her heart soon followed. Galilea made her way to the desk where Snow failed to open any of the locked drawers. Seemingly unphased by the rat's nest, Galilea crouched down and looked over the worn wood for any sign of a keyhole. Having finally calmed herself, Snow rounded the desk with her friend and looked on as she tried to find something that gave a clue.

"Maybe there?" Snow pointed to a small hole that seemed to be inside the top slab of the desk. An odd place for a keyhole. 

Galilea held up the key to the hole but a quick glance disproved it would fit. The hole seemed to accept something smaller. Their key looked to belong to something like a door.

"Hmm... look around for something else." Galilea scoffed a bit. "Feels like an escape room a little."

Snow raised a brow at the words.

Escape room?

"What's that?

Edited by Snow

Galilea stood and turned to Snow. Her hips cocked and the hand holding the key planted firmly on her hips. 

"You've never heard of an escape room?"

Snow shook her head. She felt as though it was something she should know but genuinely had no clue. Galilea hung and shook her head in disbelief.

"Wow. Yeah, its kind like this." She held up the key and gestured to the room. "You get locked in a room and have to find clues to get out or solve a mystery. Problem is, I don't know what mystery we're solving."

"Maybe it's the mystery of why this place was locked up and forgotten? Maybe there was a reason for it?" Snow guessed.

Galilea milled it over and nodded her head. 

"Actually, that's not a bad thought. Hopefully its not because of some floor 50 boss in the basement."

Snow's expression fell flat. 

"That's not funny."

Galilea thought otherwise.

Edited by Snow

As she looked upon her company and questioning whether or not she was thankful for meeting her here, Snow noticed something catch light near one of the book shelves. Her puzzled look grabbed the attention of Galilea who traced her gaze to a glint of metal between two worn stones of the stone and mortar walls. Galilea worked around the desk to the side of the book case to get a better look.

"Something's here," she commented. Her fingers worked around the stone until it came loose. Behind it, a metal plate with a keyhole at its heart. Unlike the walls and everything around them, it seemed... newer? Scratches around the keyhole exposed raw metal and what caught the little light in the room.

"Now this is getting interesting," Galilea stated as she lined the key up with the hole. Snow could hear the excitement in her voice. She could tell Galilea was loving this right now. 

"What do you think it does?" Snow asked nervously. Unlike her partner, the fear of overpowering monsters loomed very strongly over her head. The further down the rabbit hole they went, the more she wondered if they'd be able to get out if they needed to flee.

Edited by Snow

"Only one way to find out." Snow was afraid of that reply, but equally anticipated it.

The key slid in with no resistance and after a quarter turn a loud thud shook dust from the ceiling above. 

"Oh god. This is it. This is when the walls close in." Snow began to panic. The wall rumbled and a seam between the stones formed beside the book case. Like some mystery movie, the entire bookcase began to swing inward like a door. The musty air from below rushed up and hit the two girls in the face before escaping through the leaves in the open window. Stone against stone finally silenced its grating groan. Silence returned.

"Well... Don't give up yet. We can keep going."

Snow looked to the opening. Dim lights from glowing stones marked a stairway down below. She shifted her concerned look between the stairway and her companion.

"Well? Do you want to turn back?"

Snow shook her head while she bit her lip. Galilea cracked a wry smile.

"We don't have to you know..."

"Let's keep going." Deep under the uneasiness she wore on her sleeve, curiosity still called out for her. 

Edited by Snow

Galilea lead the way with Snow nearly breathing on her neck. The cool air form below wafted up as though somewhere at the end of this journey was an exit. The light from above dwindled and surrendered to the faint glow of the crystal sconces. The grandiose facade of a holy church twisted to darkness like the backside of a coin.

"Woah." Galilea stopped. Between the limited vision and how closely she followed, Snow bumped her nose into Galilea's back. She rubbed at it as though it hurt, but only the subtle numbness of the pain inhibitors tickled.

"Check it out."

Before them another room opened up larger than the office. It spanned easily twenty feet by twenty feet. Barrels, boxes, and objects draped in cloth littered the opening. Archways with grates marked two of the adjacent walls and a blackened archway opposite of them lead deeper still. The cool breeze wafted and whistled from its depths.

"Looks like a storeroom?" Snow guessed.

"Looks like treasure," Galilea corrected. "Let's look around. There has to be something good here."

Or a trap... Snow swallowed another lump in her throat.

Edited by Snow