[F03-SP] «Worn out Welcome» Dark Elf Encounter

"Hey there, Delilah," Xin stepped out of the teleporting humming along to the tune of the song. The town was much more homely than the previous floors which was a nice change of pace. A pleasant breeze was passing through the town, carrying with it faint voice of the town's locals and some other player characters. "Time to get to work." She continuing humming as she combed through the streets of Delilah.

Xin eventually happened upon a local smithy run by a Griswold. Standing outside the shop, she could hear the clattering of metal on metal, and in the doorway was a cushion of heat. She pushed her way and was met with an ordinary interior. Along the walls were various weapons and armor, and behind the counter stood a woman. She looked at Xin then to a door on the back wall where the clanging was coming from. "Dear, we have another one!"

Spoiler

Stats

LVL: 1 | HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3

Equipment

• Weapon: Knight's Reprisal | Accuracy III
  • Armor: Widow's Garments | Evasion II, Mitigation I
  • Trinket: Everlasting Devotion | Recovery II, Evasion I

Items

1. Starter Healing Potion (50 HP) x 3
  2. Immolation Potion x 1
  3. Trinket: Wayfinder | Loot Die III

Active Skills

• [x2 AoE] Blast (2 + 2x EN)
  • [x2] Straight (2 EN)

Passive Skills

• [Rank 1] Two-Handed Straight Sword (+3 DMG)

Edited by Xin

The backroom grew silent and, after a few moments, a large man emerged. With a booming voice he said, "Hello, adventurer! My name is Griswold and welcome to my shop. Have you come to aid me?" A quest popup appeared and Xin gave <Accept> quick tap. This time, she wouldn't skip the NPC's dialogue.

[After the freakin' boulder quest, I'm not doing that again...]

"I'm glad to hear it!" Griswold placed his hands on his hips. "Now here's what needs to be done: You're going to need to go to the Forest of Wavering Mists. It is there that you will find dark elves which drop certain materials that are needed for specific armors. If you acquire those materials, I can craft you an armor piece of your choosing! Let me know when you return." With that, Griswold returned to the backroom and the clanking of metal resumed. Xin nodded and exited the shop.

Xin double-checked her inventory, making sure that everything was in order before she set out into the wilderness. The quest itself didn't seem too bad--a simple elimination quest pretty much--but it was impossible to really know until she got there. As she walked through the plains, the light wind swept through the tall grass, producing waves that seemed to carry on for an eternity. Dotted around the vast area were small groups of adventurers farming for col and materials. Like mobs, she avoided them as well. While they were probably friendly, there unfortunately wasn't any way to know for certain until it was too late.

"There it is~," Xin said with a chirp. Looming in the distance, massive trees reached toward the sky; by the look of them, they must've been ancient. A thick mist emanated from the forest, blocking her vision from seeing much of anything else. She couldn't help but be amazed at the sight that lay before her and so she marched on, eager to reach her destination.

Xin stood along the edge of the forest and starred up at a tree in wonder. She'd seen sights like this before but it didn't make it any less fascinating. She let out a sigh as her eyes returned to ground level. "Let's get this started, baby."

The shade of the trees and the mist of the air combined to obfuscate her vision. Xin progressed along the path, one tree at a time, and mainly relied on her ears to keep her safe from enemies. At the slightest hint of any rustle, she would freeze in place, waiting for a moment before continuing along the path. Despite her bravado, even she was getting nervous at the thought of some giant insect or beast catching her off-guard. "Everything will be fine. I just have to be very, very careful."

Something crashed into the ground nearby, but the foliage obstructed Xin's view. She jumped back, weapon at the ready, but everything remained still.

"Where the hell is this damn dark elf?" Xin's nerves continued to leak out. Perhaps being alone in this place wasn't the brightest idea--and no, that had nothing to do with the fact that the forest was incredibly difficult to see in. She noticed a faint light ahead of her and she made her way as quickly and cautiously as possible toward it.

[Hopefully this is it.]

Eventually, Xin found herself on the edge of a small clearing, a rare sight in the forest. At the center was a single tree with a single dark elf resting underneath, an orange cursor above its head. Its ears twitched before it jumped up in alarm, clearly aware that Xin had invaded its space. The dark elf held a dagger out in front of its body in a defensive stance.

"What do you want, human?" The dark elf growled with a masculine voice. His eyes remained intensely focused on the woman before him.

Edited by Xin

Xin clutched her sword tightly at the base of the blade.

[If this were somehow real-life, maybe, but this is just a game. There's no way that I can talk the dark elf out of his materials, right?]

She took her time, debating on which options would least put her life at risk: drawing thing out by trying to be diplomatic, or getting this quest done as fast as possible by rushing in for the kill. After all, Xin was the one intruding on his home but the dark elf didn't immediately attack her despite that so maybe he could be reasoned with. Xin decided that she would talk, but she'd have to be careful with her words.

"I'm sorry to intrude but I came here in search of some specific materials." Xin opened her menu and read aloud the list that Griswold had given her. "I need them to craft some equipment. Would you be willing to help me?"

The dark elf glared at Xin. He spoke calmly but sternly. "You humans have regularly pillaged this forest for resources. You use our resources to craft weapons and armor, then turn around and kill us with them. You dare ask me to help you slaughter my people and the other dwellers of this forest?" He maintained his defensive posture, refusing to relinquish any ground to the human.

Xin held out her sword and stabbed it into the ground in front of her. This was going to be more difficult than she'd thought.

[Did I make the wrong choice? The longer this takes, the more dangerous the situation becomes.]

"I understand, but if it's possible to get a hold of the materials peacefully, I promise to leave this place and never return," Xin said, close to pleading. She swept the hair in front of her face off to the side and crossed her arms. "Please."

"I've told you why I can't give you anything. If you want this to end peacefully, then all you have to do is leave," said the dark elf. He gripped his dagger even tighter--perhaps in preparation or perhaps in worry. "Please."

It was clear that neither side really wanted to fight the other, but their paths had intersected each other in such a way that it was destined to be. Xin picked up her sword by the blade. Her hand, becoming unsteady, jostling her sword about. "As much as I'd like to leave, I can't afford to."

"You can't afford to? Your seeking of power has corrupted you, or maybe you've been fed directives that you willfully ignore. You can leave whenever you want, but you refuse to leave here with nothing." The dark elf shuffled its feet a bit. "I have to protect my home. I don't want to fight you, but if I have to, I will."

Xin sighed. She started tapping the top of her pommel with the palm of her hand, and after a few moments, it turned into a fist, digging the sword into the ground just a little more with each successive hit. Eventually, her hand laid still on the pommel for a minute before creeping down to the handle. "I...," Xin's voice faded; it would be pointless talking about this any longer. She signed as she picked up her sword and starting making her way toward the dark elf. He sighed as well.

["If this is how it has to be, then so be it."

"If this is how it has to be, then so be it."]

Xin's pace quickened, eventually turning into a full-blown charge at the dark elf. She feigned wanted to drive her full momentum through him, but instead she stopped on a dime right before and sent down a heavy swing towards him. The dark elf, though surprised, dodged the attack easily and sent a retaliatory stab at Xin's. She barely managed in time to transfer one hand from her sword to his weapon-wrist and she pulled his momentum though where she was as she side-stepped his attack as well. The two turned to each other, now set in each other's initial positions.

-

Xin: 20/20 HP | 2/2 EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

• Failed Attack vs Dark Elf

Dark Elf: 12/12 HP | 9 DMG

• Failed Attack vs Xin

Xin: 20/20 HP | 0/2 (-2) EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

v6pPas6.png

Edited by Xin

Xin took a step back to get some distance between her and her opponent, but her back was met with a tree. Both Xin's and the dark elf's eyes widened just an extra sliver as both realized what kind of situation she was in. The dark elf ducked under her sword, trying to get a slash in on Xin's leg but she was on top of it. Xin raised her targeted leg and kicked the tree, sending her rolling a good ways away from the dark elf. He chased her, but this time Xin had the advantage of reach. She constantly poked the sword into the dead space between them and made sure to take a small step backwards with each poke to avoid getting closed upon.

Xin and the dark elf danced for a while before she was finally able to find an opening. The dark elf knew he'd made a mistake, but the attack was avoidable, tearing through his arm.

-

Xin: 20/20 HP | 1/2 (+1) EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

• Basic Attack vs Dark Elf: 4 DMG

Dark Elf: 8/12 (-4) HP | 9 DMG

• Failed Attack vs Xin

Xin: 20/20 HP | 0/2 (-1) EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

XNdgMsz.png

Edited by Xin

The dark elf groaned in pain. Xin probably could've struck him down right then and there, but she hesitated, and it was that moment of hesitation that the dark elf exploited. He pounced off the ground toward Xin and she reeled back, sending a swipe into the dead zone to keep him at bay. The dark elf avoided the attack without delay and recklessly sent a relentless flurry of strikes at her. Xin had let him get in close enough that she couldn't effectively use her sword to ward him off and no matter how hard she tried to get some distance, he closed it instantly.

They had another dance, during which Xin regained her composure. She watched the speed of his attacks, and once it started to dip, she grabbed his wrist again, elbowed him away, gave him a nice kick to add more distance, and slashed the dark elf with the tip of her sword across his chest.

-

• Basic Attack vs Dark Elf: 4 DMG

Dark Elf: 4/12 (-4) HP | 9 DMG

• Failed Attack vs Xin

Xin: 20/20 HP | 1/2 (-1/+1) EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

oHe2KA4.png

Edited by Xin

The dark elf fell backwards. Xin pointed her sword toward him. "Last chance." She tried to sound as strong as possible but a hint of regret managed to burrow its way into her voice. 

He slowly got back to his feet and held up his dagger in front of him with a quivering hand. "Last chance? Last chance for you to walk away. Otherwise, stop hesitating and get this over with."

Xin sighed, releasing all her built up tension and stilling her hands as they started to glow. The glow slithered up her sword, eventually encapsulating it. She pulled the sword back. "Alright." Her voice had more conviction than before. Xin's arms flew forward, instantly piecing the dark elf's chest. She swore as she immediately pulled out her sword and knelt by his side. She'd meant to end his suffering quickly by going through his heart but instead her sword art pulled off to the other side of his chest. Xin raised up his torso and rested him on her lap.

-

Xin: 20/20 HP | 2/2 (+1) EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

• [Straight] vs Dark Elf: 8 DMG

Dark Elf: 0/12 (-4) HP | 9 DMG

• Failed Attack vs Xin
  • Dead
  • Dying

Xin: 20/20 HP | 0/2 (-2) EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

F78X4JU.png

The dark elf moaned as his body very slowly started to dissipate. Xin grabbed one of his hands and held it gently. She wanted to apologize, but deep down she knew that she'd acted selfishly and that she'd likely do it again if she had to. Besides, it was a little late for apologies, anyway. Thought raced around her mind as she thought of what to say, or if she should even say anything at all. As she was debating with herself, one thought slipped out. "What's your name?" Xin asked him. Her voice was smooth and gentle, almost like a mother's.

The dark elf's breathing was becoming more labored and blood would intermittently interrupt his airflow. "Faeron," he said. Faeron was quiet, but the forest was as well so it wasn't hard to hear.

"Faeron? I like that. Mine's Xin. With an X, though I guess that doesn't really help."

Faeron tried to chuckle at the thought of a person named Xin trying to talk their way out of a situation, the thought of him trying to use morality to persuade them, and the thought of that person trying to comfort him as he lay dying. Instead of a laugh, more blood shot out of his mouth. His eyes started to close as the life drained out of them. Eventually, his body shattered into fragments and Xin was left holding...nothing.

Faeron: 0/12 HP | 9 DMG

• Dead
Edited by Xin

Xin sat in silence. The loot screen was plastered in front of her face; she took her time swiping it away without even reading its contents. She closed her eyes and slowly rose to her feet. Aside from keeping her ears open for enemies, her attention was entirely focused on reigning in her thoughts. Her mouth opened as if about to sigh, but she held it in. Xin's eyelids rose revealing intensely fierce eyes. She was angry at the situation and disappointed at what she'd done, but instead of letting it consume her, Xin used it as fuel to work toward her goals, not wanting Faeron's death to be in vain. And while they hadn't met in the best of situation and only for a sliver of time, Xin vowed to safeguard Faeron's name in her heart.

Xin clutched the blade of her sword and made her way down the path she'd just come from.

Xin: 20/20 HP | 2/2 (+1) EN | 4 DMG | 9 MIT | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

Xin safely navigated her way out of the forest. She had to shield her eyes while they readjusting to the perfectly clear air. The breeze that was blowing when she'd entered the forest was still going strong and the vast field before her were still dotting with parties of various sizes. The vista that was once calming and beautiful was now full of melancholy. She swiped at the grass beside her as she made her way back to Delilah, leaving behind her a trail of trimmed grass and their clippings, and she felt the way that it absorbed her weight with each step.

Xin re-entered the village. There were some NPCs going about their day, but aside from them, there wasn't much going on. She felt as if she were just wandering the streets aimlessly, but she was clearly making her way towards Griswold's smithy. She stood in front of the door for a moment before entering.

"Hello! I have returned!" Xin said with as much delight as she was able to muster. Hanna was again manning the counter and a familiar clanging was resounding throughout the shop.

"Welcome back, hon. I hope that this wasn't too much for you!" Hanna clasped her hands together and smiled. Xin chuckled nervously.

"Oh, no. Everything went as smooth as butter." Xin flexed one arm and put the other upon her waist. She held a pose for a moment before laughed and returned her pose to normal.

"I'm glad to hear it." Hanna turned toward the backroom entrance. "Gris, Xin is back!" she bellowed out. The clanging stop immediately and Griswold marched his way up to the front of the shop.

"Xin, welcome back! What did you manage to get your hands on?" Xin handed over the quest materials to the blacksmith. "Hmm, looks good. I'll be right back." Griswold left for the backroom and the clanging returned.

After a few minutes, the clanging once again ceased and Griswold returned to the front-end of the store. He placed a leather coat atop the counter which was odd considering all the clanging that she'd just heard. "Here you are, missy. An armor piece for your troubles."

Xin reached out a hand toward her reward. It disintegrated and a popup appeared on her screen saying that she'd obtained the item. "Thanks. Is there anything else you need me to do?"

"No, you're all set! Though if you want me to make you some more armor pieces, feel free to stop by again!"

"Will do!" Xin smiled and left the shop and once again she found herself alone on the village streets. Xin made her way to the village gate, looked around, and plopped herself flat on a nice, comfy patch of grass. She looked up into the sky and pondered what she should do next.

"I know that this is just a game--well, more than just a game now with what's going on--but how deep does mob intelligence run? Could it have been set up purposely to guilt her into feeling this way, or were mobs truly sentient beings in this world?" Xin spoke to herself as she watched the clouds slowly roll by. "In the end, does it even matter?" She laid in the grass for a long while.

Eventually, she had enough of sitting around and doing nothing. Xin stood back up. She wiped herself down, knocking away any loose vegetation, dirt, and bugs that managed to stick to her clothing. She opened the map from her menu and looked around for a point of interest, ultimately deciding on the Town of Flora. "This place sounds nice enough. I wonder how true it is to its name." She closed up her menu and started making her way to the town.

Edited by Xin

Keeping her distance from other players and mobs, Xin elongated her route to the Town of Flora but she didn't mind; she kept herself busy singing to herself. From looking at a distance, Xin might've believed that the town was abandoned with the amount of overgrowth laying atop the it, but as she approached the town's gates, there was a certain amount of order to it all.

Elves milled about the streets with no care in the world, and for each one that Xin passed by, she was given a smile which she gladly returned. Her hand glided across the vine-laden walls and she occasionally stopped to smell a flower. Eventually, she came across a small plaza at the center of which was a bed of assorted flowers and a few benches. She knelt along the edge and glazed over them. "Can I pick one of these?" Xin asked a passing local who gave her the go ahead.

Xin looked over the vast array of flowers before her, mulling over which one to choose. Did she want something bold, something vibrant? Or perhaps something more melancholic that fit her current mood. Or something that looked nice but otherwise didn't stand out too much. She eventually settled on a deep blue gentian. Xin snapped it at the base and it immediately respawned.

Acquired

Blue Gentian x 1

[Now I know why it was so easy to get permission for this.]

She stood up and plopped herself down on one of the benches for a minute. Xin figured that if she really wanted to, she could take as many flowers as she'd like, but she decided to stick with what she was told. "If this world is going to try to RP check me, I might as well oblige. No matter how terrible it may be." Xin made her way back to Delilah.

Spoiler

Thread Rewards

• 2 SP (Quest) + 1 SP (Page) + 1 SP (Quarantine)
  • Uncommon Leather Coat (LA): Mitigation I
  • 400 col

Edited by Xin