Using the pommel of his blade Seul, struck the nail which would bind his note to a request board just outside of the Starting City. Under the afternoon sun, he replayed the events that had led to this moment in his mind. It all started, as most of his adventures did, with some curiosity. Seven floors had been cleared since the last time he set foot in a boss raid. To be honest, he had fallen out of touch with who was still around on the frontlines, and what loot might have been set loose into the world. Thankfully, Aincrad had no shortage of people who were willing to investigate these things and report them. If they received the right incentives, of course. Though it pained him, walking around with a lighter wallet was a small price to pay for the list of demonic drops the info broker had given him. Going over it, there seemed to be a few solid ones out of the bunch. But one in particular happened to catch his eye. The sword was supposedly powerful, and its owner was said to be shrouded in mystery. No name or discernible features were offered to the man when inquired further, effectively stopping his investigation in its tracks. But he would not lose hope. 

To My Fellow Players,

I’m currently in search of the one who acquired the last hit reward from the Floor 24 Boss raid. Though I asked around, there seems to be no information about this player’s identity available. So I will keep this brief by saying I’m offering exclusive event items in trade for the drop. If you have no use for it, and this sounds appealing, then I hope to see you soon.

Regards, 

Seul

Wiping the sweat from his brow, the swordsman took a moment to admire his handiwork. How many of these had he posted over the last few days? Somewhere along the way he lost count, and with no word as of yet perhaps it was time to start considering alternative methods. Or giving up.

Itzal rested on the top of a roof, hidden by the shadow of the building next to him. Velnia sat on his shoulder, her tail curling slowly as opposed to jerking in order to prevent drawing attention to herself. So this was the player who was posting all those notices. Seul. He hadn't heard much about him, but from what he could tell, he was definitely making an effort to make a good reputation. Of course, he currently was attempting to retrieve any demonic items left behind by the most recent event bosses, so Itzal felt the need to investigate. Even if he didn't decide to give him his item, it would be good to put any dangerous people away as quickly as he could. He waited in silence until the player began to move away from the board and towards the gates. Finally, he'll be alone on the road. Itzal got up and began to silently make his way from building to building, avoiding the massive crowd of players and npcs below. He continued to follow the player, even across the fields and meadows. Combining his hiding skills with the large stones as cover, he stayed hidden from the player's sight. Eventually they reached the forest. This was the perfect place to approach him.

Of course, by approach I mean...

Itzal dived down from a treetop, landing directly in front of Seul, blade already drawn and moved to the player's neck. He let the blade graze him, dealing the most minimal of damage possible as a warning that he wasn't someone to trifle with. The shadow that hovered over his face under the hood swirled like a black mist. "Your seeking demonic items correct? I have a few questions for you, and you'll answer them truthfully. If you lie to me, I'll know." Velnia, his metallic steel dragon familiar, landed on a tree behind Seul, ready to launch iron rods from her jaws to immobilize him at any time. "The questions are simple: How did you get that orange crystal. Why did you kill the victim or victims. What are your feelings towards that moment as of now?" He gave a pause before his final question. "And what are your intentions for demonic equipment?"

@Seul

Something like this was bound to happen. After calling it a day and heading off to set up camp, Seul now found himself motionless with the blade at his throat. Even if he desired a fight, in this position his head could have easily been severed long before the getting to draw the greatsword he carried. For the time being he was at this stranger's mercy.

“I am looking for demonics, yes.” He said, while peering into the void where this person’s face should have been. They were capable, for sure. 

“It happened a while ago… I was out farming on the fifth floor. I had just finished fighting and my back was turned. Figured it was another mob trying to get the drop on me while I was collecting my loot so I swung without looking. It was another player. Since he was green and I attacked first, my crystal changed. Soon after a hit from his hammer left me on the ground and immobile. But as he loomed over me, the man never revealed why he sought to take my life that day. Merely that doing so was how he earned his bread.

Through dumb luck I managed to turn the tables. Once I was on top of him I didn’t stop until he was nearly dead, and I can still remember his final words. He claimed his friends would find me, so I dealt the final blow to protect myself and to keep him from potentially going after my girlfriend at the time. I killed a man with adrenaline and out of fear. I didn’t want my story to end there or for the ones I care about to get hurt.”

Pausing for a moment, Seul tried to collect his thoughts. Since then, few knew the truth behind his orange status and here was spilling his guts to someone holding him hostage. It was somewhat cathartic. 

“I don’t think he was bluffing when he said his allies would come. Though I haven’t had any encounters yet, I figure they just aren’t as eager to engage after what happened. But it's been tough going regardless. The Knights of Blood. My friends. Anemone. I left them all behind. I couldn’t face them with what I had done. I didn’t want anyone to get close to me, and in an act of symbolism I passed on my holy weapon, Maiden’s Kiss, to someone I felt was more worthy of its power. I lost what little I had in this world.

But these months spent traveling alone have taught me a great deal. Though I used to regret the road I walk, I’ve mostly made peace with my past. Now I have something to run toward rather than constantly look over my shoulder. A new guild with a dream of bolstering the frontlines so that we may all be freed of this nightmare. With them as my foundation I wish to become someone others can rely on and to return to the frontlines. But I’m still too weak as I am now. So I seek demonics as I feel they will help in achieving both of these things.”

@Itzal

Itzal was silent as he heard the man out. He didn't show much fear, and in fact he seemed to analyze the situation and meet his demands, hiding nothing. There wasn't a hint of frustration or anger, or even fear. He simply took it as fact and moved on from there. He started by confirming that he was after demonics, and then continued to share his story. He explained how the incident in which he attained his orange cursor was both the combination of an accident and self defense. If the player hadn't been there to kill him, it could be let go as a mere accident, a few laughs and lectures, and both players would have gone about their day. However because the player was there to kill him, it ended with one person gaining the orange cursor permanently. Itzal assessed that the player likely planned the event out, preferring to trick, fool or startle players into attacking him first so that they would have the orange cursor when he killed them, and thus, not losing his own green cursor status. At least, that was his theory.

At this point he accepted that Seul indeed wasn't a cold blooded murderer, and was acting in self defense. He saw no hint of deceit in the player's eyes, and given his reaction he probably was used to uneasy treatment from others. He continued, sharing about how he felt guilt and tried to make up for what he had done. And how recently he gained the strength to join a new guild, with new dreams. And how he wished to have demonics in order to become strong for once. Itzal was silent for a moment after he had finished. Afterwards he pulled his blade back and sheathed it calmly. He twitched one of his fingers and Velnia flew over and landed on his shoulder.

"I understand. If you wish to attain strength however, just collecting demonics will not suffice. Decide what build it is you wish to master, and focus all of your skills, enhancements, buffs, familiars and strategies around that. A jack of all trades will not survive in a world like this." Itzal opened his menu and pulled out the rapier he'd been carrying. "This weapon in my opinion, is a defect, or close to it at least. One enhancement is accuracy, one is freeze, one is burn, and the last holy. In reality, it would be far better if it had two freeze and two burn, one freeze, one burn, one bleed and one blight, or two holy and two accuracy. Because there is such a wide variety of enhancements, it can make your build greatly unbalanced if you are not careful. Of course, another form of strength is teamwork. If you truly wish to be strong, find players you can work perfectly in sync with. Players who have strengths you lack, and weaknesses you can cover. Players you can strategize with, and think quickly together in the heat of battle."

Itzal held the weapon out to him, handle first. "Take it. But on one condition: Aim to be strong. Not for yourself. But for every life in this game that has been trapped all this time. Become strong for those who cannot be strong. For those consumed by fear. Become strong, so that you may aid the frontliners in escaping this game and returning home. Never forget that objective."

@Seul

Ambient Music

A sigh escaped his lips as the player pulled back their weapon. Relief washed over him, like waves on a beach. But what anxiety had been washed away was soon replaced with happiness from successfully de-escalating the situation. Seul nodded along to the stranger’s words to show he’d been listening. They were all valid points and things he’d take into account moving forward. One thing was clear: It was going to take a lot more work for his true potential to be realized.

“I won’t lose sight of what matters again. I promise you here, I will become strong to be a swordsman of the people, and to do my part to put an end to this death game.”

With that he’d grasp the blade's handle. Using his free hand, he fumbled through his inventory for a moment before materializing the bunny stamp and holding it out. It was the least he could do.

“I did say I’d trade for it. This thing can turn an ordinary piece of equipment into a demonic. If you want it it's yours.”

+Barb of the Whorleater

@Itzal

Edited by Seul

Itzal reached out and took the stamp and looked at it's stats to see what it was and what it did. His eyes widened a bit when he saw what it did, and how powerful it could be if used correctly. "I see." He said as he added it to his inventory. "Very well. I'll hold onto it then, though your promise is satisfactory enough. All I care about after all, is the safety of the players." He turned his back to Seul. "Good luck Seul. And stay true to yourself." With that he ran towards a tree, ran up it and scaled it before he began to jump from branch to branch. A soft smile creeped onto his face. He was always happy to meet people like Seul. People who wanted to do good, and were willing to listen if it meant they'd improve. Of course Itzal probably should follow his own advice at some point. He still wielded the straight sword despite it's horrible mechanics only because he preferred the weapon itself. Holding any other weapon to him was uncomfortable and cumbersome. A straight sword also had many more ways it could be used in combat. So for him, it was a preference over mechanic. Who knows though? Perhaps it will receive a buff someday. Regardless, with this over with, it was time for him to move on, and continue hunting player killers. He made sure to find a target or two to arrest and imprison on this floor when he decided to meet Seul. Had to be productive after all. "Let's go Velnia."

+Bunny Stamp