[F01-SP] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>> - Freyd

Having wasted an inordinate amount of time meticulously sorting out his very limited quantity of gear and loadout options, Freyd stood at the ornate outer gate of the Town of Beginnings, ready to set out and learnt he basics the game.  His recent near-disastrous exploits on floor six had amply demonstrated that he needed to grip some essential concepts if he wanted to survive elsewhere in Aincrad.  Being the neurotically methodical type, the first floor seemed the obvious - no, necessary - place to start.  It was crucial that he avoid his prior misadventures.

Eyeing the assorted critters grazing in the grasslands just beyond the walls, he raised Forgiven Disobedience high and scanned for the best targets.  Analysis was just inherent to his mindset.  Every detail and nuance had to be considered to generate options, scenarios and contingencies.  His right foot had barely taken a first step forward when a *ping* sounded from the nearest guard and a quest icon appeared over its head.

"Seriously?" he thought, annoyed that it couldn't just have been revealed the whole time.

Spoiler

Level: 4 | HP:  80/80 | Energy: 8/8 | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 

Skills - R1 2HSS, R1 Light Armor, Disguise

Equipment(In use)
Forgiven Disobedience (T1E3-2HSS)
Light Armor (Vanity)
No accessory

Consumables
(3x)Starter Healing Potions(50HP)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His shoulders sagging, Freyd resigned himself that the quest would probably grant better rewards than slaughtering entry zone fodder.

"Okay," he said, approaching the guard, "spit it out, Marv.  What do you have in store for me?"  He couldn't tell when he'd picked up the habit of naming generic NPCs.  It might have been something he picked up in one of the indie MMOs he'd tried out, where the detail level of the content was so abysmal that the mobs only had ID numbers.  Tragic.

"The illustrious alchemist, Zackariah the Great, has need of your services.  Kindly seek him out in the Crafter's district, where he will provide you with additional instruction."

"Your voice is about two octave too high for your girth, bud," Freyd chirped, chuckling as he said it.  "Voice acting casting could have done better for you, Marv, but I'll take the job."

Looking up at the nearby waypost to find his bearings, he turned and walked back into town.

"Urgh... This must be it."  

The building was bright yellow - sickeningly so.  If it was any more cheerful and obvious, it might have made him wretch.

"They really didn't want anyone to miss it, did they?  It's like architecture and a fashion disaster had a baby," Freyd added with a sigh.  The building interior was the very meaning of clutter, and seemingly also bigger than the exterior would imply.  Freyd dismissed it as one of those quirks of design creep.

"Yo!  Zack-master!  Where are you hiding, bud?  I hear you need something fetched or slain in fixed and predictable quantities!"  Was it cruel to tease pre-programmed NPCs?  Perhaps.  There was also the potential that the digital characters could be more aware and capable than he'd observed to date.  Better to be cautious and treat them with a bit more courtesy.  Social graces could suffer unintentional degradation in SAO, over time.  Keeping up appearances was probably also good practice.

"Ah, there you are," came a voice from behind a mess of glassware, half of it lay shattered and strewn about the table, as if from some failed experiment.  "You must be here to assist me with my work!  I tasked the guard to send those with strong arms and keen eyes my way."

Freyd glanced dubiously at his own reflection in a nearby mirror.  "It's an intro quest,"  it seemed to remind him, "just go with it."

"Yes," he replied politely.  "That's precisely why I'm here.  How can I be of service?"

"Good, good," the old man replied, his blue tabard covered in fine silver dust and the scent of cinnamon wafting around him as he waved his arms about.  There was too much clutter around to permit him to move more than a foot or two in any direction, and glassware clinked angrily every time he bumped into his work bench.

"I need samples of blackrot spore that grow on the truffles in the fields around the city.  They are particularly difficult to spot, but the wildlife may help you out if you're observant!  Bring me five filled vials and I shall reward you handsomely!"  He pointed to five empty glass vials on the near side of the table to Freyd.

"Go now," he waved, dismissively.  The nostalgic simplicity of the intro quest actually made Freyd smile.  He'd played this type of start quest so many times in other games.  It felt nice to be gifted with memories of life before SAO by its very first quest.  He touched the vials and noted the pop-up adding them to his inventory, then walked back out the door.

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Freyd soon found himself back at the gates, sword in hand.  He nodded his acknowledgement to Marv, who stoically ignored him.  Small patches of soil now glittered softly in the fields - likely spawn points for the truffles he was sent to fetch.  The boars wandered lazily back and forth, snorting and snuffling as they went.  They were not especially aggressive, but he sorely needed practice, and they made excellent candidates to refine his limited skills.

Charging straight at the nearest one, he triggered his first sword art driving his blazing white blade into the beast's side.  It squealed in pain and surprised, then veered angrily towards him, a large grid-like pattern glowing red along its flank.

"That's better!"  Freyd celebrated.  His first few forays into melee had been fraught with misfortune.  Turning to let his cloak fall over his shoulder, like a matador's, he prepared to receive its counterattack.

Spoiler

image.png.1d37debcd7e2f58f4991acb27bf695f4.png

[1] Freyd: 80/80 | 6/8 (-2) | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I]

[0] Truffle Boar: 32/40 (-8) | DMG: 12]

"Damn!" he cursed through clenched teeth as it charged at him with surprising speed, catching him slightly off-guard.  He'd managed to partially mask his stance with his cloak, but it wasn't quite enough.  It clipped his right side with one of its tusks, spinning him momentarily off balance.  He sprang after it, trying to keep it from repositioning for another charge.  It wasn't especially large, but it was nimble.  

He spared himself a moment to glimpse at a mesh-wound to that he had inflicted upon it, appreciating the armor skill he'd picked up before starting out.  

The boar rounded a nearby tree - one of the few grand oaks dotting the grasslands - and seemed to be playing a bizarre game of peekaboo with him as they both circled around it.

"Come on out, Bacon-Bits," he taunted it, inside his own mind.  It helped him focus and organize his strategy with clarity.

Spoiler

image.png.70b83d5d7017e0218030989918036a4a.png

[1] Freyd: 73/80 | 6/8 | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] - activated Disguise (EVA I)

[0] Truffle Boar: 32/40 | DMG: 12]

He darted, but leapt unexpectedly, swinging his blade upward and wide.  The pig merely moved aside, not realizing that it had fallen for his trapped.  Freyd's gleaming blade sliced clean through the massive tree branch that came crashing down upon his unsuspecting target. 

*WOMP*

A very agreeable squeal of pain and surprise accompanied the impact. 

"Okay, come on back, now." Freyd said to it, daring it to come back at him., trying to position himself back near the tree's trunk for advantage.  The edge of his right foot tapped against it to confirm his placement while his eyes remained focused on his foe.  He couldn't help admire how much like a dance the mechanic felt - an impressive feat accentuated by the sense of mortality that was normally lacking in other MMOs.  He turned the grip on his weapon, lifting it high and ready to deflect an incoming blow.  If he caught it right, he could direct its next charge right into the trunk.

Spoiler

image.png.4aafe8acbb82c3645bf6d5c5339eb3c6.png

[2] Freyd: 73/80 | 5/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] -> Disguise (EVA I) recharges in 2p; +1 EN

[0] Truffle Boar: 24/40 (-8) | DMG: 12]

His tactics played out perfectly.  Blinded by the leaves and aggravated by its frustration, the boar made a bee line out of the brush and right into Freyd's parry.  It lost its footing and tripped on a large exposed root, colliding into the oak with a yelp of surprise, then tumbling back into the meadow, sprawled on its back in a particularly undignified position.

As satisfied as he was that his plan had worked, Freyd's face remained passive and fixed.  He got this way whenever he was focused on a task.  His parents used to tease him that he was zoning out, but they didn't realize just how aware he was of his surroundings whenever he was in this zone.  It was like every sense was hyper acute and aware, and all distractions fell by the wayside.

Forgiven Disobedience shone brightly as he brought it back up again in a guard, poised and ready for more.

Spoiler

image.png.6fd5528c4d7d9e30732934a5d6caa032.png

[2] Freyd: 73/80 | 5/8 | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] 

[0] Truffle Boar: 24/40 | DMG: 12]

'Bacon-bits' was more way this time, and Freyd's next strike only managed to trim a few bristles on the boar's back.  The two opponents began circling each other once more, each having struck blows, but neither gaining any decisive advantage.  Freyd made a few more false lunges to see if he could provoke it into faltering, but 'Bits' wasn't buying it.

"Need to try something new, huh?"  he said, watching as its beady black eyes peered at him beneath its thick, leathery brow.

"You know that my last real meal was your cousin, right?"  His stomach growled as if eager to join the conversation, or perhaps reminiscing over the idea of real food, or maybe he was still a bit unhinged and just imagined it.  It didn't really matter.  He was in his element and having fun.  This was proving a tougher fight than he had expected, but improving the accuracy of those expectations was the whole point.

Spoiler

image.png.578004bb10de4bcfa576969123f4c2c9.png

[2] Freyd: 73/80 | 4/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] -> Disguise (EVA I) recharges in 1p; +1 EN

"Wait?  What?!" he cried as the thing unleashed some sort of battle cry and launched itself at him again.  "Did that actually work?!"

The boar's charge went wide, though more likely because Freyd had given himself more space and thus more time to react.  Bits was mad.  Its cloven feet were slipping in the soft soil, tearing up the grass as if seeking purchase.   Its breathing was more laboured and froth bubbled along the edge of its mouth.  The thing's entire left side was now caked in slick muck from where it had stripped a swath of grass as it had skidded past its target.  Watching it stumble as it struggled to recover and regain its footing was almost comedic as it repeatedly fell back into the mud, or churned it up to create even more.

He needed to watch his own footing now, lest he find himself dancing the same jig.

Spoiler

image.png.091eb1d136380763b2c0ce9937d4f11f.png

[2] Freyd: 73/80 | 4/8 | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] 

Kicking a nearby clod sent a spray of mud into the beast's face and gave Freyd the momentum he needed to swing the blade high, striking deep into its snout.  It squealed again in protest at the indignity.  Wallowing in the mud was likely perfectly acceptable, but get hacked at by some sword-wielding noob was surely not in its day plan - or so Freyd allowed himself to think.

"Come on, big guy, you still have some fight in you.  Let's keep at it."  

The pig had practically dug itself a little redoubt in the mud, with sludge-like walls built up around it as it turned its bulk to keep facing Freyd.  He, in turn, circled it continuously, waiting for an opening.

"Your move, Bits," he taunted, spitting out the nickname.  "What's it going to be? Shish kebab?"  Freyd's unruly brown hair swayed loosely in the breeze as he waited. 

Spoiler

image.png.8355147296296c0f7422efdf1937bf0f.png

[3] Freyd: 73/80 | 3/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] -> Disguise (EVA I) recharges; +1 EN

[0] Truffle Boar: 16/40 (-8) | DMG: 12]

The boar slumped into the mud, looking defeated.  Perhaps it was resting, or preparing its own cunning quips?  Freyd didn't fall for it and easily dodged as it sprang at him, attempting to smother him under its bulk.  The mud had made it sticky and slowed its bizarre belly-flop maneuver enough that it looked more like it was happening in slow motion.

*splat*

Mud sprayed everywhere, including all over Freyd's cloak and face.  Keeping the hood up might have limited his field of view, though, and he couldn't risk it.  Regardless of what his opponent looked like, it was meant to be a challenge for him.  The fight was dragging on long enough to prove that it was.  Bits regained its footing and the two of them glared at each other as if facing off in some samurai standoff.  Images of Kung Fu Panda flashed through Freyd's mind, despite his best efforts to resist them.

Spoiler

image.png.fa66b33de278a7c9f9be090fc0a5b542.png

[3] Freyd: 73/80 | 3/8 | DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] 

[0] Truffle Boar: 16/40 | DMG: 12]

A sparrow flew overhead, and suddenly the meadow grew silent.  Bacon Bits sneered, its thick hide groaning loudly in the sudden silence.  Twenty feet away, Freyd's hands clenched tighter on Forgiven Disobedience's leather-bound hilt. 

The two warriors gazed upon each other, locked in a contest of wills.  Both sprang into action simultaneously. Bits flailed its tusks wildly as its short, but powerful legs propelled it forward.  Freyd cleaved downward with lightning speed as his opponent rushed into range.  Their paths crossed.

Following the flowing movement of his sword, Freyd spun and faced his foe.  Bacon Bits, on the other hand, was now short one tusk.

The beast snorted and thrashed in agony, but refused to be defeated.  Pulling itself back to its feet, steam-like wisps of ragged breath rose from its badly broken snout.  Its tail swished violently back and forth behind it, revealing the extent of its growing anxiety and desperation.

Spoiler

image.png.b70333bedbde0bec83319d6eb7260bf8.png

[4] Freyd: 73/80 | 2/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] -> +1 EN

[0] Truffle Boar: 8/40 (-8) | DMG: 12]

Bits swayed and staggered for a moment before steadying itself.  Its knees struggled mightily against the strain of gravity upon its bulk and it shook its head as if to pull its wits together for one, last effort.

Frey, meanwhile, stared it down, his weapon at the ready.

*RAWRRR*

The beast's run started slow, but gathered speed as it threw every ounce of its remaining energy into one final attack.  Sword and tusk clashed once more.  When the dust settled, Freyd had another fresh slash on his leg, but Bacon Bits' battered form lay split in twain, shimmering for a moment before exploding into glittering motes of lights that vanished as they touched the ground.

Freyd parted his lips and released the breath he'd held for longer than he could recall.  He needed to work on that, but this was good progress.  He looked upon the mysterious sword that had fallen from the sky, offering silent thanks for their victory.

Spoiler

image.png.8f67ce78da177f123c5e8c96068d19c8.png

[5] Freyd: 66/80 (-7) | 0/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] -> activate <<disguise>> (EVA 1), EN +1

[0] Truffle Boar: 0/40 (-8) | DMG: 12]

Loot Results using same roll as killing blow (ID#152222):

HP*3 = 120 Col

1 x T1 Rare Consumable

1 x T1 Rare Weapon

CD odd = 2 bonus T1 materials

LD odd = 2 bonus T1 materials

Clearing out the boar had taken longer than he'd anticipated, but had proven useful.  Turning his attention back to the various piles of glittering soil, Freyd set himself to the more delicate task of searching them for the quest truffles Zackariah had sent him to find.  

"This could take a while," he mumbled, but started digging nonetheless.  

His instincts turned out to be good, finding some of the sought spores in the first pile.  Calling up one of the quest vials, he simply touched it to the truffles and let the game do its thing.

"One filled and four more to go."

It would help that the mobs in this area were spread wide apart and largely non-aggressive.  Freyd swore that the nearest boar gave him a jealous look as he placed his first filled vial back in storage.  He looked around for another nearby pile to search, preferring to keep his distance from other pigs, for the moment.

Spoiler

image.png.a35871195c27ad059d0a343b1a51121b.png

LD Target reduced to 11+ per quest. - 1 of 5 found.

Gathering wasn't as unpleasant as he'd originally expected.  There was something soothing about taking the time to collect with care.  The next pile revealed another source of spores which was likewise carefully placed into another vial and then returned to his storage.  Taking a quick look about, the grasslands were free of players, other than himself, at the moment.  Most had likely long since moved on to higher floors and more complicated content.  How many players still hadn't done these quests, he wondered?  How many, like him, might one day find courage enough to overcome their fears and try?

Freyd replayed his battle with Bacon Bits in his mind, considering different options and variables, analyzing how certain moves had worked out.  He was genuinely impressed by the variety of responses built into the AI.  It had even seemed to convey mood and emotion, which he hadn't expected.  Were they in any way real, or just part of the simulation?

Spoiler

image.png.bcbeb88f3d11251f76c5b82b06026d7d.png

Use roll ID 152224.  Had to refresh roller, and it ended up giving me two rolls.  Will use the other on the next post.

LD Target reduced to 11+ per quest. - 2 of 5 found.

Three for three!  That was a welcome break.  Freyd suspected that the algorithms governing the spawn rate of the spores might be skewed towards easing the complexity of an intro quest - not that he minded in the least.  

"I should really find out where this sword came from," he thought to himself.  While he fully expected that better items existed at higher tiers, its power was quite noteworthy for anyone of his level.  Someone had done him a great favour and he meant to track them down and thank them.  It wasn't the sort of gesture he'd expected, from anyone really.

"I'll need to do the same, when the time comes."  He made himself a promise to do so, then added it as a reminder to his task list, as was his way.

A cold chill spread across his back as a shadow loomed over the pile he'd just finished exploring.  Bacon Bits had respawned.

Spoiler

image.png.1d2bd34bdc24582063c48b219f95caa8.png

LD Target reduced to 11+ per quest. - 3 of 5 found.

Full energy and HP restored.

This time, Freyd allowed himself a grin.

His greatsword materialized in his hand as he sliced upward at the boar's throat, cutting deep and triggering its aggro mode.  Bacon Bits 2.0 unexpectedly bowled him over, pancaking him with its girth and weight.  Freyd recovered his footing quickly and the two of them began their dance anew, though this time the pacing seemed considerably faster.  Noticing that the oak tree had also recovered its cut branches, he lured his opponent near it once more.  His analytical mind was curious to see if the mob retained any knowledge or awareness of tactics from their previous engagement.  

Bacon Bits snuffled and growled at him, but followed.  The two of them were soon beneath the tree once more.  Freyd thought he saw bits hesitate when it moved under the same spot where he'd previously crushed 'him' with the fallen bough, but he quickly dismissed it as his own projected expectations.

Spoiler

image.png.dd2e06cb582843f11c607758a85e6b68.png

[1] Freyd: 73/80 (-7) | 6/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I] 

[0] Truffle Boar: 32/40 (-8) | DMG: 12]

Roller froze on me again and rolled twice when I refreshed.  Freyd triggers the attack, and so uses ID 152231.  Truffle pig responds using ID 15232.

His trick didn't work twice, though Freyd suspected it was really just a function of the random number generator and its general disdain for his health and well-being.  His luck was apparently concentrated on finding spores, rather than hitting things that were trying to kill him.  He wasn't sure he could appreciate the selective distribution, especially when Bits 2.0 gored him in the arm.  The pain suppressors were remarkably effective, but they came with the caveat that you remained lucid as you were dismembered and couldn't count on shock to let the darkness take you.  He batted the pig across the snout, successfully getting it to back off, but didn't manage to deal it injury.

"Back off, Bebop," he spat, attempting to bolster his fortitude by referencing 30-year old cartoon characters.  Was comparing a boar to an anthropomorphic warthog considered fair game?  Did it matter?  His mind just shrugged and carried on.

Spoiler

image.png.addb03879e7d9f4206564b33b781c5db.png

[1] Freyd: 66/80 (-7) | 5/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I -> +1 EN

[0] Truffle Boar: 32/40  | DMG: 12

Neither combatant would be satisfied with another extended mano-a-pig-thing showdown, resolving to settle their battle quickly.  They charged each other directly, colliding next to mud-pit graveyard of Bacon Bits 1.0.  Freyd's blade sang a keening wail as he launched himself from a crouching position, impaling the board with the tip of the sword and leaving a wide gash along its flank and back.  The wound oozed white fluid, where one might have expected blood.

His onslaught was not without risk, however, as Bits thrashed madly and caught him in the abdomen, leaving Freyd prone after his devastating blow.

The pig hauled his injured body over to the oak, propping himself against it as fire spread through his veins, or whatever might pass for his digital equivalent.  This fight was already over, it was just a matter of deciding the specifics of their final clash.  Regardless, another pig was about to die.

Spoiler

image.png.0369c43a9f010eeac5bd1dec153f4ba0.png

[2] Freyd: 58/80 (-8) | 4/8 (-2)| DMG: 4 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1 | Bleed I | Holy I -> +1 EN

[0] Truffle Boar: 4/40  (-28) | DMG: 12 -> taking bleed 12