[PP-F4] First Second Meeting

[Lv. 9; Hidden Blade {3 DMG}; Assassin's Armor {3 EVA}; Strange Sigil {3 ACC}; 2 T1 Potions; 1 TP Crystal]

Akio followed Mari carefully as they made their way up the floors, his hood once again covering his face as they traveled. It was strange, seeing the first boss room now empty. But it was also an incredible wonder when he exited the top of the stairs. The joy he felt at seeing a totally different world after several years. From endless planes, forests and mountains to a complete mountain range based floor. Of course, their journey did not stop there. They continued on from there. It was unfortunate for the two of them, for Akio had not visited any floor besides the first. Because of this, they couldn't use teleportation crystals, or the teleporter in town, to visit the fourth floor. Teleport crystals only warped a single person after all. So the walk was a long one. Even still, he had a lot of fun along their walk. Constantly he would gape and wow and wonder at the many different sights, the monsters, the animals, the npcs, the settlements. The views and the scenery. He was a little disappointed with the third floor, but that was due to it being similar to the first floor. It still had several new monsters after all. But when they reached the fourth floor at long last.

Akio stopped moving, as his eyes widened and watched a snow flake fall down slowly. He hadn't seen snow in so long.. His face lit up like a beacon. "..Ha ha!. Snow! It's snow!!!" He ran in circles for a bit before he launched himself into the air and landed face first, making a snow angel before turning himself upright again. "Oh I missed you snow!!!~" He giggled some more before he stood up again. "Maybe we can have some snowball fights sometime! Maybe make snow forts and trenches, have a snowball war!" Of course, there was the fact that he was nearby a lot of dangerous monsters so he made sure to stay close to Mari. "Right, why we came.. So, I guess, I'll just let you keep leading the way." After saying this, he started nibbling on a cookie he had stolen from an npc down on the first floor.

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]
[DMG:_06//EVA:_03]

HP:  [                    ] (180/180)
EN:  [

] (18/18)
XP:  [
                    ] (032)

@Mari

Mari snorted, seeing Aiko act so...well...carefree. It reminded her of her own daughter - and that....hurt with the familiarity came the pain. The tug of an anguished nostalgia that fell over her like small snowflakes, soaking into her skin and sending shivers of icy chills through her veins. She'd never have that again....would she...no...there was no way that her daughter was alive, not after dying within Aincrad. Mari pushed that down. That was the past now... and right now, Aiko was here - and whilst he didn't need her per say - he was waiting for her to lead. 

He pummeled her with questions, one after the other - delighted squeels of how they should build snowmen and snow forts and beat each other up with tiny balls of packed ice. "You know..." Mari began as she placed a gentle hand on the mid of his back, guiding him to her home. "I've never done any of those things - where I'm from, we don't have snow. It's..." Mari looked forward as her hand moved to fall freely at her side. "It's why I chose the 4th floor. I wanted to surround myself in something I may never get to experience.

The two walked till they hit a small clearing, her home - a tiny wooden cottage by a frozen lake. "Here it is." Mari said as she gestured to her home, they walked up onto the porch and Mari unlocked the door - "Make yourself at home - I've recently gotten hot chocolate, do you...uh, do you like that?" 

If Aiko were to look into the door; he'd see her home. Directly opposite the door is a small table; enough to fit two if they were to squish together. To the right; a roaring fireplace, there is a place to put a pot to cook food, but the hook is currently empty. The floor before the fireplace looked like it had been draped in a few different indescribable animal skins. In front of the fireplace are two chairs facing opposite each other; made from a rich red velvet, adorned in pillows.  There is also a small mirror on the left hand wall, round without trimming.

To the immediate left, right by the window is a small corner that looked like it didn't quite belong in the room - cobble floor fell away to a light tatami mat - and atop that sat a Kotasu table. It's surface made of a wood that had been stained a golden brown. The surrounding material, thick and plush made of blue. Atop the table sat a small ornate teapot - painted with the images of the 'Great Wave of Kanagawa' and beside around it four matching cups.

@Iron_Lion

"Wait really? Aincrad is the first time you saw snow? That's crazy!" His smile never faltered, in fact it even grew. "Well I think you picked an awesome place to live! It's an actual winter wonderland and it's so freaking cooool!" When he saw the frozen lake his wondrous attitude continued. "Woah! A frozen lake! I've never been skating before! Maybe we could try that sometime!" He looked at his feet. "Though, I'm not sure if I should try it with or without actual skates.. That would cost some col, so I'd need to save up for that." Once again his attention was torn from his current thought process, this time by Mari asking if he'd like some hot chocolate. To this his gaze snapped to her, and he almost started drooling before he regained his manners. Shaking the, obsessive desire to taste chocolate again off his face, he smiled and nodded. "I would greatly appreciate that, thank you~" He ran back over to her side and when she opened the door he peeked in first, to see what was inside before actually entering. A table for two, a roaring fireplace, two chairs. This was a house designed for two people. A cozy home. 'So then. Does she live with someone? If not, why?' But he knew that these questions were logical to ask himself. It was natural for one to be cautious and try to learn about another person. 'A person's lifestyle reflects the personality. Learn to master analyzing the world around you, and you shall master knowing the person through it.' He was no master, but he wanted to practice at it for sure.

He finally stepped inside and moved to the fireplace, sighing as he held his hands out and warmed himself up. He pulled off his hood and closed his eyes as he took a deep breath in, and a deep breath out. Afterwards he looked down at the pelts. "Mari? What kind of monster or animal did those pelts come from?" Any info on monsters was necessary for him after all. "OH! And uh, thank you very much for letting me stay at your house tonight."

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

Mari shrugged. "Well... I kinda live in a bit of a dessert country. Most of the cities are on the coastline but, hey." Mari shut the door behind her and gestured for Aiko to sit at the Kotatsu. "Get yourself under that heated table, it'll warm you up quick."

With a flick of her wrist Mari opened up her HUD, trying to find the hot chocolate - it was too sweet of a drink for her - but after meeting Seul Mari made sure to keep some on her, alone with a few marshmallows, since they seemed to go hand in hand. Mari headed toward the Kotatsu, blue eyes still trawling through her inventory. "Ah. There." She pulled out the hot chocolate and placed a cup in front of the spot opposite her. She then placed a few marshmallows on a plate and sat it next to the mug.

"Mmm... Honestly, no idea." Mari said as she shifted her eyes to the pelts on the floor. "I picked the cabin because well, it seemed cozy. I just had the cheapest set of furniture because as someone with an orange crystal things are twice as expensive. Then...." Mari turned her eyes back to the Kotatsu, running a hand along its wooden surface. "I wanted something like this...to remind myself of-" She paused. Not wanting to be melonchony in front of Aiko. So Mari changed her answer slightly, so it were more appropriate. "I got this to remind myself of my favorite time, when I was teaching in Japan."

Mari pulled a teapot from her inventory and poured herself a cup of Earl Gray tea - something she much preferred over the sugary sweet cocoa drink. "The stairs behind me lead up into the bedroom. You can take the bed tonight, or any other night you need it." Mari patted the table. "I tend to sleep under here anyway, I find it comfortable."

@Iron_Lion

Akio's eyes widened a little when she mentioned she lived in a desert like country. "Woah... That doesn't sound like much fun to be honest. Does it at least give you some sort of resistance or tolerance to intense heats? At least then it would benefit something in the game." When she pointed to the kotatsu to warm up faster, he nodded. He knew what it was, he just wanted to try using something that wasn't traditional Japanese. But he wasn't going to turn his hospitality down, so he dived and slid under the cloth, giggling as he poked his head out upside down to look at her. It felt like he was in his tent, only.. His eyes closed with a smile. "So warm and cozyyyyyyyyyy." When she pulled out the hot chocolate he turned his body so that he was upright again. Still lying on the ground with his head poked out, he took the drink. "Thank you Mari." he said before he took a sip. His face lit up with energy. "Ooooooh yesss! I missed this so much!" He took another drink as he listened to her explain why she bought the place and why she had purchased the kotatsu. He had a suspicion there was more to it, but he wasn't going to ask about that. If that was his goal, it would probably be a less touchy subject than her own cursor. When she mentioned how she preferred to sleep under the kotatsu he chuckled. "It's kinda like sleeping in a tent~ Only a lot more comfy."

Then his smile faltered a bit and he crawled out. He walked over to the fireplace again and sat down on one of the chairs, waiting for Mari to sit down too. "...I'm guessing, you've got lots of questions too right?" 'When negotiating, it has to be an even trade. But even if it's an even trade, doesn't mean you can't control the game.' "If you want, we could take turns asking questions. And if it's too personal, we don't have to answer."

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

"It's really not too bad." Mari said with a small shrug. "The summers get unbearably hot though, I've gotten heat sickness more than a couple times." She laughed softly, pushing strands of ginger back behind her ear, voice reminiscent of times long gone. TImes she hated, but oh so sorely missed now. "Once, I had to walk home from work, that's a 40 minute walk - when I walked into the door I passed out on my floor. Woke up a few hours later all covered in sweat. Ahaha...I don't recommend ever doing that. You think it'd give me a tolerance, but honestly - I hate the heat."

Normally, Mari would chastise such behavior, crawling all in and around the Kotatsu, making a mess of it? But she couldn't help but smile warmly at Aiko's antics - she thought him a little older maybe 13-14 judging from his height - but how he acted.. maybe he was younger? Closer to 8? Mari wasn't going to question him though. She had no real desire to know. He was safe, and laughing - and for her - that was more than enough.

He was .....refreshingly innocent - in the same way Snow had been - but Mari made the mistake of laughing when Snow was being sincere...she didn't want to make the same mistake here. Mari cleared her throat.
"It's much more comfy than a tent." Mari said as she took a sip from her tea, placing it on the table. Mari placed a hand over the rim of it, with Aiko rustling around underneath, she didn't want him to accidentally spill the drink. As he rolled around, Mari carefully lifted her cup, just in time to see the table bump up as he squirmed his way out from underneath it.  He seemed...less jovial as he had crawled out.

"Yanno...." Mari began ,her eyes following him as he sat down on one of the chairs - their plush surface practically engulfing him. "I...what?" Where did the subject of questions come from? He'd suddenly gotten so serious. Mari shook her head as she moved up from under the Kotatsu. "Aiko - I don't really have anything to ask. I do have to wonder why you're mostly alone - as a mother myself, I really don't like the idea of that. But -" Mari paused to pick up his cup of abandoned hot chocolate by the side of the Kotatsu, she walked over to him and carefully placed it in his hands.

"It sounds like you have a great deal to ask of me, what's on your mind?"

@Iron_Lion

Akio grimaced and shivered at the thought of having to live in heat that intense. He'd never be able to handle or tolerate that. In fact, he might have dragged his mother out of the country himself if he could. Not that he'd ever be able to beat her at anything. She was awesome. "Yeah, I'd hate that kind of place too. I don't mind the cozi heat though, like your kotatsu."

As he sat down however, he could see the concern growing on her face. Suddenly shifting from one mood to the other. Well, randomly changing moods was expected of someone his age, but still. He watched her face and could tell she was being completely honest to him when she told him that she didn't have many questions, other than one which seemed like an obvious one. He nodded before sipping his hot chocolate. "Ok.. Well, yeah. I do have a couple of questions. The first one being..." He drifted off for a moment. He realized the dangers of asking this. He was in her home, and she was a very powerful player. If she wanted she could just kidnap him and keep him here, or track him down if he used a teleport crystal. Even still, he really needed to know this. "...Um, so. Please don't feel offended or anything, but. I wanted to ask." He pointed above her head. "How did you get your cursor color?" There wasn't much fear in his eyes at all. Curiosity, caution, alertness, but not much concern. At least, no immediate concern. Even if she could track him, he could still try and find other high level players to protect him. All he needed to do was use a teleport crystal, promise all the col in the world to an info broker for where a trustworthy player was, and run there. However there should always be a tiny bit of fear in dangerous situations, as it kept your senses sharp and alert.

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

"I took..a life..." Mari said quietly. The grip on her cup tightening. Her voice quiet, pensive. She didn't like talking about it, but she couldn't sweep her actions underneath the rug and pretend they didn't happen. No, these were her sins. "Not just one...several. There are a total of 8 names on that monument because of me.....and Aiko..." Mari set her cup on the floor and knelt down in front of him, taking his small hands in hers and holding them gently, thumbs creating gentle circles "I could tell you I didn't want to - that many of those were to protect others - but, at the end of the day its important to know that I've taken those lives. They're...someones child , someones brother..." Mari closed her eyes and sighed. Lowering her head. She'd understand if he didn't want to be around her anymore. The last kid she tried to look after screamed and ran from her. But she had to remain strong, no matter what feelings were swirling within her. No matter the pain or fear.

"I was...a very hurt person - I felt attacked and cornered constantly. Hated by everyone around me - but that does not excuse my actions. I'm - working on my emotions, and I would never, ever want to take a life again. But - I'm also not one to lie." Mari rose her head and offered Aiko a weak smile. "So, I'd understand if you wanna leave or don't feel safe around me. It's a normal response to someone like me."

@Iron_Lion

When she looked to him, to see if he would leave. She'd notice that he wasn't looking at her anymore, but neither did he show any fear or anger. In fact, his face was that of someone deep in thought. He'd heard everything she said, and was now, essentially, cross examining it with his mother's creed. Once he was satisfied that nothing Mari had said was going against the creed, he'd look at Mari again. "...My mom, was in the military." He said simply. "She was a sniper. Killed lots of people. Sometimes, when I heard her cry, I'd hear her stories. Their expression when they died. How sometimes they were just, innocent people caught up in the moment. I'm not gonna run away Mari." Then he smiled. "In fact, I can't think of anywhere safer. You're clearly strong, and it's pretty obvious that you really don't like killing. And.. Well you're the first person besides my mom and my teachers who's been nice to me. Why would I run away from you?" He left out of course, that his mother was an assassin now. He didn't exactly want to scare her in turn after all. But seeing as how she couldn't get past her PTSD, and what with all of her skills geared towards combat, it was kind of a given. Especially since it paid well.

When she mentioned the monument of life however, that got his curiosity up. "...What, monument? I don't get it." When he heard what the monument of life was, his face paled and his eyes widened. '...Well I was gonna tell her later, but... I don't want her finding out the wrong way.' He took a loooooooong chug from his hot chocolate until it was completely drained and didn't look back at her. "...Guess it's my turn to share something huh? Well, it will help you understand one of the reasons I'm alone anyway. See um.." Now it was his turn to grip his cup tightly. "I lied when I told you I got my cursor from theft. I mean, I stole but.. I first got it when I, took a life myself."

He was quiet for a moment, his breath shaky. This was not only the first time he killed someone, but the first time he'd ever confessed to it. And he honestly could say, it terrified him. "I was attacked by a green player who wanted protection from a pker guild. I was level one, just started. He chased me until I found a Fae Flower, they attract high level monsters called gray boars. So I um.. Well I called out to the boars, they came to the flower which I put in the guy's pocket. He finished most of them off, but he was almost dead. And, to keep him from chasing me down later, or getting the player killers to find me I... Well I sort of... Finished him off." He closed his eyes, and for the first time repeated one of the lines of his mother's creed to someone else. "Survival is top priority. When surrounded by enemies and people you cannot trust, keep your identity hidden. Ensure there are no witnesses save for trusted allies." After he finished, he exhaled and loosened his grip. He was still shaking but... It, felt better to tell someone. To finally let it out.

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

His mum was....what? And she what? Mari stared at him for a few moments, a big part of her wanted to slap his mum for being such a terrible influence on her own son. After all, what kind of person vented such horrific scenes to some 6 year old child? No parent in their right mind would have done that - but...she wasn't in her right mind was she? Her son was probably the only real source of comfort she had.. and...

And at least she didn't take her sons life.

Mari unclenched her fist and drew a small breath. Staying silent through Aiko's description of his mother, and through his admission that he felt safe here, and that he didn't plan on leaving. It was a little sad to hear she was the only one who had been nice to him. What about his school mates? DIdn't he have friends?

"The monument." Mari quietly replied. "It's in the Town of Beginnings - a place I can't go - it details every life lost and how it was lost." Mari wasn't sure why it worried him so, at least, not till he shuffled awkwardly in the seat, then came words she didn't expect to hear. This poor sweet kid had taken a life.

There was an exhale, and a rush of air as Mari threw caution to the wind. F**k it. If he were to squirm and run, let him - but she couldn't help herself, not with the overwhelming emotions that threatened to swallow her whole in their torrential tidal wave.  Her arms had reached out to him, wrapping around him and pulling Aiko to the floor with her as she wrapped him up in the tightest embrace she'd given in her time on Aincrad. Even with that, Mari squeezed tighter. Her head nestling into the soft grey hairs of Aiko's head.

"You idiot." She breathed into him. "You poor sweet, idiot." Tighter still, she held him. "I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Who told you such things?" Mari asked as she chanced a hand to reach up and run through his hair. "No one should expect you to do those things. To take lives, you're too young for that. No one should have to do those things."

@Iron_Lion

After some steady breathing, Akio was able to push some of the anxiety down a bit, calming his shaking down enough to speak again. "...Heh... I guess, it's my turn. To wonder, if you're gonna be scared, or angry at me-" His eyes widened with utter shock as he saw Mari lunge at him. The defensive part of his mind told him that she was trying to assault him, and he was already pulling his arm out to counter with his hidden dagger. He already knew that it wasn't going to do anything however, it was just a knee jerk reaction to defend himself. Before he could activate it however, she embraced him... And yanked him down to the floor with her where she hugged him more tightly than he'd ever been hugged before. It was a good thing players didn't need to actually breath, save for when they were underwater. Still overcome with shock and confusion, he heard her talk. He heard her empathy towards him. And how no one should expect him to murder someone else.

She talked to him, like the child he was. The scarred, scared, lonely boy, paranoid that he can't trust anyone. Scared that he will have to live his life alone forever in this cruel, calculating world. His eyes started to tear up, and when he spoke, his voice was rough and somewhat cracked. "But.. But I... I have to stay alive, right? I can't.. I can't just, let myself die, I need to..." He sniffed. "I have to get back home.... I didn't want to kill him, but I had to... I had to I had to, he would have killed me!" His tears started to turn into sobbing, as all the emotions he'd pushed down burst forward. "I don't wanna die! I don't, I don't wanna die! I want to see my mom again, I wanna go home! Why can't we just go home?" After that, he couldn't form anymore words. He just lay there in her arms and cried.

He cried in pain. He cried in sorrow. He cried in terror. He cried in loneliness.

He cried, as a young boy separated from his mother in a strange world with seemingly no mercy.

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

Mari gently ran her hands through his hair. "I'm not scared, no offense kid - but I'm one of the strongest players in Aincrad. Probably around top 10 or 20. You'd fall asleep from exhaustion before making a dent in my health." She joked. Mari omitted the part where he'd probably be dead from her Flame Aura - but, it wasn't like he'd outright attack her, and talking about dying, it was the last thing she or he needed right now.  "I'm angry at the situation, not at you. It's something that never should have happened."

Mari didn't tell Aiko not to cry, she didn't hush him. She let him. She let him cough and wheeze and cry out all his emotions into her. Mari didn't flinch when she felt the wet of his tears soak through her clothes. "You won't die." Mari offered him. Words that meant very little in a world where you could die just for falling asleep in the wrong area or around the wrong people. Sleep PKing was a thing, Mari had never seen it, but heard of it. And of course- with someone like him - an orange crystal player - it was more dangerous. 

"I can't take you home." Mari said softly as she finally pulled him away from her, with just enough space between them for her to gently run her thumbs under her eyes. "But I promise you, I'll fight tooth and nail to get you out of here. And that you will always have a safe place here. Are you tired? Did you need anything right now?"

@Iron_Lion

Akio lay there for a long while, his sobs slowly dying down over a period of time. By the time he had finished, he was exhausted. Both physically, and mentally. His breathing was steady again, but his eyes were red from his tears, and his face wet. He turned to look at Mari. "...yeah... I'm.. kinda tired..." He couldn't really say much else. He just gushed out all his pain to this random woman who reminded him a bit of his mom. If he'd thought about it, it went against most of his own mother's code. Never show weakness, stay strong in the presence of others. But, then again if he kept all this in then he'd likely go insane. And besides, he didn't think he'd be able to last in this world without someone he could share things with. Just like how his mom needed him to stay sane, he had to have someone else right? And besides, he didn't want to be alone anymore. He wanted someone he could talk to. Someone he could hang out with. Yeah... There wasn't anything wrong with that... Nothing wrong.. With that... Yeah....

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

"C'mon." Mari said with a 'hup' as she lifted Aiko up, normally it'd be hard to carry someone who was almost half your size but normally, they weren't stuck in a game - one where Mari was almost at max level so could very, very easily carry peeps around. So,  carry the child she did. Mari was careful not to disturb Aiko - he grumbled in annoyance, or perhaps defiance. Mari image.png.5d5e8d8819e4fa9f2da11b288cd7a021.pngwasn't sure which. "Oh stop being such a child." She chastised gently as she carried him up the stairs. Aiko struck Mari as the kind of kid who wanted to be independant, and do things on his own.

Judging from his words, he also didn't seem like the kind who wanted to show weakness. "It's not weak to rely on others like this sometimes." Mari said gently as they made their way up the corner, and into her bedroom.

High wood ceilings with exposed beams are illuminated by paper lanterns, creating a flickering warm glow. The small bedroom has nothing more than a window to overlook the lake on the fair side and a roaring fireplace set in the cobblestone wall.  No light leaked in from outside; it had gotten so dark.

The fireplace was burning with a small flame to keep the cozy room warm. The large queen size bed covered with thick and plush white duvets. Multiple layers of pillows and blankets cover the bed - along with varied animal skins. With the deftness and experience only a mother could have, Mari quite literally single-handedly threw back the covers and throws and animal skins all whilst keeping a firm hold on Aiko. Then, she shifted, and gently placed him into the bed. RIght in the center. "I think this would be much more comfortable than a tent floor. Don't you?"

He didn't answer. Mari sighed as she sat on the edge of the bed. She reached out to gently shift his hair away from his face. So he was asleep then? At least he was able to fall asleep after all that. A part of Mari wished she found rest as easily as he had. "You know..." Mari said quietly, more to herself than to the sleeping Aiko. "My daughter loved it when I sang her to sleep, I suppose it doesn't count. but..." Mari coughed quietly, she felt awkward - always embarrassed of her voice, or her violin. They were things she usually hid from others, but - Aiko. He needed this now more than anything, so Mari sucked it up, drew in a deep breath, and gently sang to further lull him into sleep.

IF he were to wake, he'd find himself alone in the dimly lit room - for Mari would have returned back to her place at the Kotatsu.

@Iron_Lion

Akio stirred in the bed as he slowly began to wake up. During the night, he ended up curling in the covers, hugging them close to him. Almost as if his subconscious was trying to keep the very essence of comfort and warmth in his grasp. Now, he'd woken up. And he really didn't want to move at all. It had been a long, long, long time since he'd slept in a comfortable bed... Or even a bed in general. The last time was at the stupid orphanage, and their beds weren't anything like the good quality beds. Like this one for instance. He snuggled in his covers, enjoying the warmth and coziness they provided... Then he asked himself a rather important question. "Wait, how did I get here?" He thought about what happened last night, and it didn't take long before he remembered everything. He cried. He cried like a baby. And after that, Mari took him upstairs and put him in bed. His face turned red with embarrassment as he pulled the covers over his face, even though nobody was in the room like that. "AAaaaah, I can't believe that happened!!!" He stopped himself.. Throwing a fit wasn't going to be doing anything. He threw his covers off and noticed that his bracers, including the one containing the hidden blade, as well as the rest of equipment that was on his belt, and finally his hooded coat were lying on the bedstand to his left. His boots were likewise resting against it on the ground. He was still wearing his clothes of course. Maybe she took the excess gear off so I'd sleep more comfortably?

Akio stood up and moved to put his gear back on, but paused. He wasn't about to leave anytime soon. He had to thank her after all for her hospitality. Still... His thoughts flashed to what he said when he broke down the night before. Was he really that scared? Did what he do scare him? No, it was simply the fact that people like that guy he killed existed... Whatever.

Akio walked downstairs, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he did so.

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

Mari, of course, hadn't really slept - she managed to pass out for a few hours - but that was all she could really ask for. She was thankful nightmares didn't wake her up with screams. Or, if they did - that they didn't wake the sleeping child above. It was one of the reasons Mari had chosen to to sleep on a chair in the same room as him. The last thing he needed was watching someone probably thrice his age screaming and making a commotion in her sleep.

Watching the sleepy visage of Aiko as his scruffy grey head peaked from around the corner caused Mari to grin. It was...nostalgic. "Mornin' Sunshine." Mari said cheerily. She was seated at the Kotatsu - in front of her a meager spread of food. Toast; butter; jam, and Aiko had another cup of hot chocolate sitting next to an empty plate at his 'place' on the Kotatsu.

"Sorry it ain't much, but I don't normally have a stock of food on me. If you lemmie know in advance I'll have something more enticing for you. DO you like pancakes? Waffles?" Mari asked as she gestured to the seat beside her. "Did you sleep okay?"

@Iron_Lion

Akio yawned and stretched before he finally replied with "morning.." He looked over to where he heard her voice coming from and saw the food set out for him. He stared at it for a moment, not really used to having food just sitting out there for him. For the past few months he'd gotten by via theft from npcs and the occasional player. Or, when he'd stolen enough col, purchasing a nice meal for himself every now and then. Or rather, the nicest he could get with the meager col he stole. His stomach of course wasn't having this hesitation, and made a rumbling sound. Rubbing the back of his head with embarrassment, he started walking over, combing his hair so that it wasn't so ragged from sleeping in bed. He quickly sat down and took a bite out of the toast. He had never had toast with jam on it before, but it tasted delicious~ Or maybe it was because it was crafted by someone with a high cook profession? Or maybe just that he'd been having crap food this whole time. Either way, he was halfway through the slice of jammed bread when he stopped. '[censored], it has been too long' he thought before he put the food down and nodded to her with an embarrassed smile. "Th-thank you for the food by the way!"

When she told him about how she'd prefer it if she knew ahead of time if he was sleeping over so that she could prepare better quality food he shook his head. "You're fine, this is delicious! And, yeah I'll let you know next time." Though. Would there be a next time? He kind of spilled his guts out last night, so he couldn't leave her alone. She might get worried about him and tell someone else about him, asking for help in finding him or something. Still, it was nice having someone who cared this much about his safety. He just hoped she'd let him do things. When she asked him if he liked pancakes or waffles he nodded vigorously. "Oh yeah! My mom bought them one day after a. Trip. It was really good!" He almost let the word 'mission' slip out... He really needed to be better with his secrets. Eventually he finished his food and slumped in his chair with a satisfied sigh. "Cozy bed. Good food. No annoying guards. Thanks Mari~ I'm really glad I took up your offer and stayed the night."

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

"It's fine really." Mari said as she picked up her own slice of toast, slathering a thick sheet of butter on it. "You seem like a pretty capable person." Mari said before biting into the toast and chewing it carefully. In a way, it was true - he'd survived this long on his own - and he clearly had a sense of independence. And despite Mari's worries, she couldn't simply follow a child around. She swallowed. "So I'm not gonna follow you around or pester you, Aiko but..." Another bite. It gave her time to figure out how best to word her offer. She didn't want to scare him away.

"But, if after a long day of questing or - whatever else it is that you do. You need a place to rest, and something to eat, my door will always be open for you." Mari offered him a small smile. It was the least she could do for him. She couldn't replace his mother, she wouldn't ever dream of it, but if last night was any indication the child needed some sort of grounding, but Mari knew kids, she knew if she pushed too hard he'd go in the other direction.

"Waffles are one of the few things I like that are store bought." Mari mused as she made general conversation with him. "Normally I like cooking things." She sighed. That was something she missed. This place became more and more surreal as the days went by.

"You know - you wouldn't have to deal with guards if you took the redemption quest. Is that something you'd be interested in doing?"

@Iron_Lion

The kid grinned when she mentioned how he appeared to be capable of handling himself, and crossed his arms across his chest proudly. "Yeah definitely! I like to think I'm the most capable kid in this world! I can't wait to see the frontliner's faces when I catch up to them!" He closed his eyes and giggled as he used his imagination to picture the faces of super powerful players in total shock and amazement upon seeing a young kid help take down a chunk of health from a boss. When he heard Mari talk again he snapped out of his trance and focused on her. When she made her offer he looked down and took a sip of his hot chocolate. "..Yeah, I'll keep that in mind.. Really, I will." He looked out the window. "But you know. Living out in a tent isn't all that bad either really. I mean, sure I really missed the cozy bed and warm meals. But living out in the wild kind of feels like... Well it feels like being a real adventurer you know? Like I'm actually a fantasy character in some fantasy novel. It almost feels... Fun..." He smiled again and looked at her. "Buuuuut, that doesn't mean I won't take advantage of your offer! Maybe I could come and stay the night like, once a week? Or maybe twice a week, like the weekends.. That way I have plenty of time to train outside towns, but I have two days a week to rest super comfy and cozi!" His face brightened further and he added, "And if you're ok with helping a low leveled weakling like me, maybe you could help me with some quests so that I can catch up to you!"

When she mentioned the redemption quest however, his face became somewhat blank. He drank some more of his hot chocolate, and thought of how to respond to that. "...I kind of heard of that quest actually. And, well.. After some calculations, and running through simulations in my head. I don't think it's a good idea for me to take that quest anytime soon." He tapped his glass as he tried to think of a way to proceed without upsetting her. "...The quest can only be taken once, and the change isn't permanent. Meaning that if I ended up killing someone or stole something too many times afterwards, I'd have it permanently. I know you don't want me to kill, but what if someone else tries to attack and kill me again while I'm alone? What if I'm kidnapped?" He put his mug down and closed his eyes. "I know what kind of world this is. I'm not stupid. So, I know that I'll probably have to kill someone again, regardless of whether I like it or not, to keep myself safe." His hands started to shake, but he showed no other signs of nervousness. "So. I'd rather take the quest, when I'm strong enough to be able to fight or escape, without being forced to kill someone. And I know that will take a very long time, so I'm going to wait a while longer until then. And besides." He looked up with her with a, somewhat genuine smile. "If they see my cursor, a pker might be less likely to attack me for a multitude of reasons, so I guess it does have a benefit or two right?"

[Iron_Lion] [Lv. 9]

] (18/18)
                    ] (032)

@Mari

"Just be mindful of the frontlines when you do. The frontlines are a great goal to have but they aren't all sunshine." Mari picked up her tea and took a deep drink from it. She paused, staring into her cup. "There's a lot of infighting - there's been death there too. Not from the boss - but player on player fighting." Mari put her cup down and sighed. "I Don't wanna stop you, just to let you know to be careful. Yeh?" Mari said with a smile. "I wanna see you at the frontlines one day."

It was half true; Mari wanted to see him again; and wanted to see his ambition come to fruition but she couldn't help but worry. Someone so seemingly sweet and innocent in the frontlines? She wasn't so sure about that. But...with people like Baldur and Oikawa by her side, and in the frontlines - and people like Macradon...maybe just maybe it'd be fine. So Mari pushed down that fear and offered him a smile.

"If it's fun you should do it; just keep safe." Mari said simply to his admission. "I spent the last few years sleeping on the floor of my shop tent." Mari omitted the fact that she had self isolated after being relentlessly hunted. "You can stay here whenever you need Aiko." Mari said as she opened up her HUD. She pulled out a duplicate Key to her home - she had planned on giving it to Crozeph, but she had a feeling he'd be cozying up to Yuki and wouldn't need it. Now he had a place at Baldur's too.  Mari put it on the table and slid it over to Aiko. "I may not always be here, so let yourself in whenever you like."

Mari's smile faltered as he said he did the calculations and simulations, that...wait how old was he? Mari couldn't pick the age.  "Redemption is designed for you to take it with a party. I'd be able to help you find a group of people I'd trust. And Aiko- you...don't have to steal. If you need anything - food, col, materials. Ask me. There's a difference to being independent and being stup- being silly."  Mari shook her head. "And that's...not a healthy way of thinking. You're not alone anymore."

Mari couldn't agree with him when he said the cursor had a benefit, to her - it had none. All she could do was offer AIko a sad smile as she shook her head in disagreement.

@Iron_Lion