[PP-F1] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>> A Destined Reunion

With the most basic of gear equipped to her avatar, Calcifer strode through the Town of Beginnings with a purpose. She was still working out exactly what that purpose was and where it would lead her, but her chin was held high nonetheless. ‘First thing’s first. Gotta make a name for myself.’ She thought as she walked along. ‘If I want to be a well-known and respected knight, the first part is the well-known part.’ Her modest straight-sword hung at her hip and her arms swung through the air with each stride. Suddenly, a golden opportunity was presented to her.

“Hello! Are you new around here?” A wise and learned old man was standing outside of a shop, smiling and waving at her. Calcifer’s chest puffed with a renewed purpose.

“You could say that!” She stopped in front of the old man Zachariah and lowered her head into a bow. “Calcifer, the soon-to-be knight, at your service! What might I be able to do for you, Sir?”

@Adeux

Edited by Calcifer

Oh No…. I think I know that voice. Adeux’s head turned to look across the street to where he saw a younger girl talking to an older shopkeeper. Hmm, maybe I don’t, I don’t know anyone with that voic- Calcifer, a name he recognized from one of his more fruitful MMO experiences. He looked the girl up and down, his head cocked in confusion. “Way… Way too young to be Calcifer.” He muttered to himself quietly. However, something still nagged at him. Maybe it is her? Well, I might as well ask. If it is her, maybe she is older than she looks. Yeah… Lets pray for that.

“Calcifer? I’ve heard that name before. Does ‘Adeux’ ring a bell?” No Danger in giving her my real name, not like she is going to steal my identity. “If I’m right, I think we played an MMO together a while back. You were an… fire knight?”

@Calcifer

Edited by Adeux

Calcifer listened attentively to the elderly alchemist as he was describing a way to find herbs outside of the city walls. Just as he got to the good part--the part where he was asking for her assistance with such an important task--she heard her name called by a very mature-sounding voice from the side. She looked over, and then up. Wow, this man was tall. She felt herself swallow, and then heard the man named Adeux out. His words gradually clicked into place, and she realized what he was talking about. A twinkle almost seemed to form in her eye, and her back straightened with pride. "An Ember-Knight, yes!" She bent at the waist in a bow, "Ember Knight Calcifer, at your service! Although..." She straightened back up with a sour expression on her face. "These days I'm back to being just a fledgling knight. It seems I've lost all the capabilities of my past self." A small sigh, and she shook her head. Looking back to the tall, dark-haired man before her, she looked him up and down. There were...some similarities to his old self, if she was recalling him correctly. Then again, she was merely a petite shell herself. Calcifer nodded, "Yes, I think I remember you. You once traded me that summoning scroll in exchange for the whereabouts of the old guru in the mountains of Chisel Peak." She crossed her arms in front of her chest and nodded again.

"Well! It's a pleasure running into you again. I was just about to take on a task for this gentleman." She gestured toward Zachariah, standing beside them and looking at the players expectantly.

@Adeux

God she dives in deep. I think her parents created LARPing.... Hopefully it is just a character. He mentally groaned and plastered a smile on his face. "Yes, I believe I did. If you don't mind me intruding, would you be willing to have some company? Today I was just casing the area and getting a feel for the town. If you want, we could do this together and try to get it done faster? It's up to you of course, I don't want to intrude. I'm assuming knights can do many things on their own." He smirked a little and looked at the girl.

His eyes turned to the older gentleman that was talking to Calcifer. He approached the gentleman and began the quest dialogue in order to get it. "Hello! Are you new around here?" His eyes rolled and he began to talk and skip through as much dialogue as he could. They could have streamlined this so much more by giving you audio lists on your screen and you could either talk or tap what your responses are. Maybe that'll change, who knows. He finally got through the dialogue and hit accept. Another quest appeared on his screen and he nodded, closing it and turning to Calcifer. "Well I have the quest if you want company. I have a sword and I haven't fought yet but I know I will need to eventually."

@Calcifer

She played off of the smirk he offered and smiled widely. "Of course! Yet there's strength in numbers. I'm sure we'll make quick work of this task." She nodded confidently. She turned back to Zachariah and finished receiving the instructions for their task. Go fetch five herbs from the fields outside of the city, and bring them back to the old alchemist.

Calcifer once again walked with purpose as she strode through the city towards the Western Gate, this time with Adeux accompanying her. "So! How has the world of Aincrad been treating you?" She kicked off the small talk as they made it past the threshold. Calcifer breathed in the 'fresh' air as a breeze rolled by, sending ripples out across the grass. She had stopped and placed her hands on her hips, looking around at the vast landscape in front of them. There were boars lazily grazing in the distance, and wildflowers were scattered here and there. She had no idea where to begin, but taking in the scenery and surveying the area might just make a convincing enough excuse for inaction.

ID#: 153884 | LD: 10 - Fail

@Adeux

Edited by Calcifer

I'm slightly dreading this afternoon already. Please.... Please tell me she is older. Please..... Please tell me this is an act. I like the theater but this is not Broadway acting. He inwardly sighed and looked up at the sky. He listened along to her and thought for a moment on his response. "Aincrad has.... Gone a certain amount of good. I've made a new contact and started to learn the systems. I've made some plans for future progress for me. How about yourself? Done anything... knightly lately?" He regretted saying that as soon as it came out of his mouth.

Luckily, he was distracted by finding a material, the first out of the two of them. Good, maybe after we are done with this I can distance myself from her and call upon when I need justice served. He smirked a little at his thought and banked the item into his inventory. "Alright, I found my first of 5. I've been hunting materials a lot lately. I'll try to assist you in finding some as well."

ID: 153889 LD: 20 {1 Mat}

Mats: 1

@Calcifer

Edited by Adeux

"Wonderful!" She nodded, glancing to the side and watching as he retrieved an item from the ground. 'Ah, so that's how it's done? Hmmm...' She mused in her thoughts. Calcifer then shook her head in response, "Not quite... I've got my sword, but I've only just started looking for ways to help people. I haven't been presented with the need to put it to use." In so many words, she admitted that she'd only begun doing quests. "For the better, usually." She then played it off, though her words sounded rather sincere. "Only the foolish and destructive look for any opportunity to draw their weapons."

She took her hands off her hips and stopped looking out over the open fields to actually step into them, walking along and away from the city walls. She dropped her sight towards the grass in front of her, brows narrowed while she focused on looking for anything of interest. She began to wonder if the herbs and such that old man Zachariah wanted them to retrieve would really just be laying around on the floor waiting to be picked up. At least, she hadn't managed to spot any of them just yet.

ID#: 155184 | LD: 6 - Fail

Edited by Calcifer

I wonder if she ever worked in a renaissance festival at all. I mean she is very... very young so it's easy to think she grew up in those. Maybe her parents would LARP a lot... Who would do something like that? The real world is fine, you don't have to play 'make-believe' just because you aren't happy with your life. He shook his head and listened to the rest of what she said. He absent mindedly picked up a second material, already 40% done with this and she hadn't even found her first one. I'm going to be out here for a very... very long time aren't I?

"They usually look like things you could make, or seem to be slightly out of place. Like a leaf when no trees are around, or fruit when no plants make them. Think of it like how kids shows will color over an area a different shade in order to draw your eyes towards that object or location." He thought about how Mari explained it to him and he prayed that he gave enough detail for all of that to make some sort of sense. "So... Calcifer. How'd you get access to this game? Did you buy it or was it a gift?"

ID: 156392 LD: 15 {1 Mat}

Mats: 2

@Calcifer

Edited by Adeux

She kept just a bit of distance between herself and her old guild-mate, if only for the fact that she could feel her brow furrowed in frustration while she crouched down around the edge of bushes, the base of trees, and wading through the taller grass in search of some usable material item that was supposed to be out here. She caught a glimpse once of Adeux plucking an herb from the ground, then looked back to the area in front of her in disbelief. 'Am I doing something wrong?' She thought with a disheartened expression. Calcifer shook her head. No, it was going to take some time. She just had to be patient and keep trying.

There was a noticeable pause when he asked her about how she acquired the game, but then her response came very normally. "Yes, I bought it. It was horribly expensive." She stood up straight, still focusing on her task and facing towards the fields. Her head swiveled back and forth slowly, and she took a few moments to search while standing in place.

ID#: 156918 | LD: 2 - Fail

@Adeux

Edited by Calcifer