[PP-F16 <<Fighting Fish>> Melodies of....Fish?

quest

Mari wanted to see him again. Baldur was right, she was lonely. Even surrounded  by friends - and Mari didn't want to avoid him. Despite everything screaming at her to do so. They were guildmates. They were friends. They were all in this together to fight their way out of the game. Her admission to him had hurt her, but it wasn't like she loved him or anything of the sort. If anything, it was infatuation, admiration. And those things - probably wouldn't change - but they didn't need to. Mari knew now she had a friend. Someone she could rely on like Macradon. Someone who would hear her out when she was troubled. 

And someone she wanted to know more. So Mari sat, with her HUD open, blinking cursor waiting.

|                                    

Mari sighed and typed in something;

So I've done the first few quests for this but was wondering if you'd like to finish them with me? It'd be a fun bonding experience and - | 

No. Too many words. Mari rarely, if ever used so many words with her messages. Why should she treat Baldur any differently?  With all the ferocity of a mighty keyboard warrior Mari slammed the backspace on her HUD and started again.

Baldur,
Let's do some Scents of the Wild quests.
If interested meet me on an Island to the West of Oceanus, coordinates below.

-Mari.

Mari closed her HUD drawing in a deep breath, them promptly coughing. The small island was far enough away from the volcanic island of the mainland that she was spared the scents of sulfur and brimstone, but ash still lilted in the air. Even this far out. "I hate the heat..." Mari said with a sigh - the saving grace of the floor. The water. Mari sat on the edge of the grassy island. A small sparse of grassy knoll no bigger than a kilometre in diameter. Her pale freckled legs were dipped in the water which was pleasantly warm. Mari leaned back on her arms to stare at the sky. Mid afternoon. Perhaps she should have chosen a time where it would have been a little cooler, but with the quest...Mari wanted to be able to dry off easily if there was too much trouble.  She sat staring at the small island town of Oceanus. 

A soft melody played beside her, in the form of a glimmering recording crystal. She...had planned on giving it to Baldur - but wasn't sure if she should anymore. Mari was thankful that she knew where she stood. Friends...it was nice to have someone like him as a friend. But such a present, perhaps it was too sentimental for a friendship like theirs. Still, it was a song Mari liked - a lilting and uplifting tune that suited the scene. The golden afternoon sun - the way it radiantly glowed, shattered light dancing upon the still waves that lapped at the shore. It felt...serene. It helped calm Mari's nerves.

Too bad they were about to try and hunt a big ass fish.

@Baldur

Spoiler

General
Level: 73 | HP: 1490  |Energy: 146

BATTLE COPY
Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1490/1490  | EN: 146/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Edited by Mari

Baldur arrived at the volcanic island city of Oceanis. He couldn't remember the last time he had been here. It felt like a lifetime since he had quested on the floor. Someone could have told him that Kayaba redesigned the entire floor since the last time he was here, and Baldur would have believed him. Instead, it felt a little more like home, now that he was used to his own island floor. I bet Calrex would build his home here.

It wasn't long before he spotted Mari over by the water. She wasn't particularly pale, not that Baldur had any room to speak when it came to paleness, but it certainly helped to pick the two of them out among the well tanned NPC island dwellers. The fire of her hair was like a becon calling to Rohan for aid.

"I have to say, I might start coming to this floor more often."

He gave her a pleasant smile as he walked up, his boots which would normally be awkward in sand in the real world, blessedly held air tight by the nature of computer graphics and boolean operations.

"So I guess you didn't get enough fishing in your system from before, now we need to go and find a bigger fish?"

Baldur:
Spoiler

» Baldur, The Gaijin Samurai vWKwiqS.png

» Base Stats

• Base HP: 1430
  • Base EN: 140
  • Base MIT: 79
  • Base ACC: 5 (does not automatically miss on 1s with Warden's Fury)
  • Base DMG: 19 (with fighting familiar)
  • Muramasa Base DMG: 22 (No bonus from familiar)
  • Base EVA: 2
  • Battle Heal: 72 HP
  • Search: +0

» Items Equipped:

• Warden's Fury - Absolute Accuracy/2 Paralyze
  • OR Muramasa - +12 Damage
  • Montsuki haori - 54 DMG MIT/+1 EVASION
  • Emerald Matagama- +3 ACC
  • Hammerspace Backpack (HB) +1 BR item (allows stacks up to 7)

» Battle-Ready Inventory:

• Medium Damage Potion x7 | Rare T2 Item | +2 Damage
  • Basic Teleportation Crystal x1 | Good Item | Teleports player to the Town of Beginnings
  • Max Mass HP Recovery Crystal x7 | Perfect T2 Item | +30*Target Tier (30/60/90)
  • Max T2 HP Recovery Crystal II x5 | Perfect T2 Item | +180 HP
  • Safeguard Potion x3 | Perfect Tier 1 | Safeguard
  • HB: Max Vitality Snack x2 | Rare Tier 2 | Grants +12 Energy
  • EWL: Medium Antidote Potion x1 | Rare Tier 2 | Immune to negative status effects for 2 turns
  • EWL: Muramasa or Warden's Fury
  • EWL: Emerald Teardrop | Perfect | +2 Accuracy +1 Evasion
  • SC: 

» Skills:

• Battle Healing | Rank 5/5 | While in combat, recover 1% per rank (45HP) at the beginning of your turn
  • Charge | Rank 5/5 | +1 base damage per rank (+5 damage) once per opponent per combat
  • One Handed Curved Sword | Rank 1/5 | Novice
  • Katana | Rank 5/5 | Grand Master
  • Light Armor | Rank 5/5 | +25 Mitigation
  • Concentration | No Ranks | Gain +1 BD for a single attack | 5 Turn Cooldown
  • Familiar Mastery: Fighter |  3 Ranks | +9 base damage (Does not stack with equipment)
  • Survival | Purchased |  Increases out of combat health regen to (15xTier) 45 per post
  • Extended Weight Limit | Purchased | Increases Battle Ready Inventory by 3
  • Parry | Purchased | 3 Turn Cooldown | 5 Energy | Reduces incoming damage by 50%
  • Quick Change | Purchased | Swap Equipment as a free action | 3 Turn Cooldown
  • Extended Mod Limit | Rank 2 | Increase Active Mods by 2
  • Meditation | Purchased | Recover 15 Energy if not hit, takes a post action

» Mods:

• Athletics: +1 DMG +30 HP
  • Katana Precision: +1 to Accuracy
  • Katana Ferocity: +1 damage on katana sword arts
  • Sprint & Acrobatics: +1 Evasion
  • Finesse: Rank 3 | -3 Energy cost to sword arts
  • EML: Bull Rush | Stuns target on successful charge
  • EML: Emergency Recovery | if dropped below 25%, heal 10% once per thread

» Housing Bonuses:

• Rested: -1 EN on first 2 uses
  • Tasty: Turns 2 food into feast for 4
  • Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread 1/month
  • Filling: Add 1 extra tier 1 slot to food
  • Item Stash: +1 BR item slot
  • Relaxed: OOC regen 5*tier, recover EN out of combat after 2 turns in lieu of 3
  • Angler: +1 Mat when fishing

Edited by Baldur

Mari didn't move from her seated position when Baldur approached. He wore his usual smile, and it warmed her to see that it hadn't changed, despite what had transpired between the two of them. "Right." Mari said quietly as she turned her attention from him back to the sky. "I spend so much time on the lower floors, in the snow - in caves. I often forget how nice it is just to sorrta....sit here and feel the warmth of the sun every once in a while." 

"So I guess you didn't get enough fishing in your system from before, now we need to go and find a bigger fish?"

Mari snorted. Lifting a hand to cover her mouth. "The fishing is fine as long as I never see another Easter Egg...." There was a pause as she shivered. "Or giant peep ever again. I'm happy." Mari pushed herself off the ground, dusting the sand from her backside and shaking the water off from her feet. She almost wished she could sit there longer - maybe she'd ask him to join her after they fought off the quest boss. 

Mari turned her gaze to Baldur, his pale skin heated by the gentle rays of the afternoon sun. Blue eyes reflecting the shimmering ocean around the two of them. Mari found herself staring, if but for a moment, and whilst she told herself she shouldn't, she couldn't help it. He made it hard, and he didn't even know it. "It looks like you're keeping well." Mari commented as she finally pulled her gaze from him. 

"I've grabbed the 2H spear skill now. So no more floundering around with a dagger." Mari said with a grin. Jokes, they always made her feel better. "Now, shall we sea what we can both do against this fish?" 

@Baldur

"Thanks." Baldur said when Mari mentioned he was looking well, "I'm not fishing for complements or anything, but having the house and the guild has been good for my soul. I've always been more of a grouper than a solo player, so having more people around me has become a net win for me." He tried, desperately, to hold back the shit eating grin. Really he did. But one can only fight their own nature for so long.

"Cod I could do with never seeing an Easter egg again. Though, fishing with everyone was quite a bit of fun."

He clapped his hands together and rubbed them rapidly as if working heat into his hands, "Alright, so how do we start this quest? Are there special poles? Do we just talk to an NPC to kick off an event? I gave up fishing after the event, so I haven't been carrying a pole around."

He had to admit, he was curious to see what the change in going from dagger to spear did for Mari. He remembered how forlorn she was after the forgotten king battle. She knew she had a build change she needed to do to optimize, but the gaijin wasn't sure if she had ever stood side by side for such a long battle with anyone for a while. The long battles were where you saw the differences.

Baldur's grin widened. His eyes crinkling as his smile reached them. A large heartwarming, albeit shit-eating grin. One that only came from years of unrelenting puns and jokes, but he hadn't had a lot of time with Mari. He didn't know that she could dish it out just as much. Jokes, those terrible cringy jokes - and puns - oh the puns she used to live for them. Thrive on them, and it had been too long since she was able to unleash that wave. "Having the guild is certainly a reel  good experience..." Mari rubbed her arm. "I'm not used to dealing with the scale of people that comes with it. But...I'm currently enjoying where things are."

Mari turned her eyes back toward the ocean. "Speaking of fishing, that's how we're gonna do this." Mari exclaimed, casually placing her hands on her hips. "We can either walk to a nearby dock and fish from there - or take a boat out. Our goal is to try and fish up Mōretsuna - Oh -" Mari turned over her shoulder to give Baldur a cheeky grin. "And those of us who have the fishing skill get a bonus." Mari turned on her heel so she was facing Baldur. "I say we take the boat out, it'll be a great opper-TUNA-ty. To relax. Get to know each other a little Betta."

Mari threw them right back at him, one after the other. Without missing a beat. She enjoyed it. This was nice. These lighthearted interactions, the kind smile of another. She wasn't used to these sort of things, and didn't realize how much she really missed them. Mari stepped forward to Baldur, reaching out to give him a light pat on his arm.  "Thanks, for this. So- shell we go?"

Baldur pun count :3
Mari Pun count: 5

@Baldur

Edited by Mari

Baldur suddenly felt his palms get a little clammy as she started to fire on all cylinders when it came to puns. I didn't expect to be fighting two battles today, I better stop floundering. Still he flashed a grin. If this was a fight she wanted, she would soon find out she was swimming in the deep end. We'll see if she can keep her head above water.

"Alright, I guess we'll head over to the dock. It seems to be swimming with people. Hopefully they'll let us through and not be too shellfish. I'd rather not rent a boat if we're going to be fighting something, even if they have a nice boat like a barracuda or stringray. They're just too small."

As they walked down the the beach towards the dock, Baldur saw the sign for some kind of restaurant or sand bar that seemed to specialize in seafood. "I'd ask if you're hungry, but the place looks like a real dive ." His eyes twinkled as they began to head out onto the deck. They may have food buffs, but Baldur never fought water battles for an hour after eating.

The pier was packed with both players and NPC's. It seemed to be a very popular fishing spot. He knew that it had to be an unfathomably good one in order for players to be packed in like sardines, but at the very end, the pier widened out into a large fishing platform. Conveniently large for having a battle on. There, an NPC was waiting for them with a bucket full of fishing rods..

"Oh my cod, you have got to be kidding," Baldur laughed as he approached, his eyes targeting the NPC, "They named him Marlin? That's a bit on the nose, don't you think? I bet they did it on porpoise. Surely it wasn't just for the halibut."

Baldur smiled once more and addressed the NPC, "Alright Marlin, throw me a line. This quest should only take a few minnows."

"Listen, shrimp." The old fisher replied to Baldur, and the samurai's blue eyes went wide. "Mōretsuna isn't just any old fish. Ee's the king of the ocean. Show 'im some respect, else he'll tank ya down into the deep end, where even a sturgeon can't save ye."

Baldur's eyes were still wide as Marlin handed him a rod. Once Mari had hers, he walked her over to the edge. "Man, what a crab. He really feels defensive about this fish, I could see the anchor in his eyes. But if we alpha strike this thing to death, I'm going to eel over in laughter."

He gestured for Mari to go first, "Shall we make a bet to seal the deal?" The bemused expression never left his face, "Whoever gets the killing blow gets bragging rights back at bass."

Mari had to admit, she was a little disappointed that he didn't want to take the boat out onto the waters, but she could sea his point. She couldn't imagine the scale of difficulty it'd be. Just imagining either one of them falling into the water... Mari shifted her gaze to Baldur. Actually...maybe she shouldn't imagine a drenched Samurai. She didn't need her head swimming with such thoughts. Mari waved them away. Mari coughed into her hands. "Alright." She said at his suggestion to head to the docks.

"Baldur-" Mari teased with a grin on her face. "With your knowledge of boats - you sound so..soFISHticated." The battle was only just getting started. Right now, it was difficult to determine who would be the shore victor - but Mari...somehow didn't care. She was spending time with him. And he made her smile. What more could she really ask for? Mari took a deep breath, enjoying the gentle scent that drifted upon the breeze. She enjoyed the smell of water -one of the few things she missed from home. 

"There's so many people here..." Mari said, a little salty. She didn't do too well, especially with so many people - it felt like a large school of fish. 'I say we get something quick. It doesn't look like we have any time to mullet over. Else the fishin spots might be gone."

Her eyes shifted to the restaurant. Sharing a meal with him... It...actually sounded really nice - Her brows furrowed as her cheeks flushed. No. No she shouldn't think like that. He had made it clear he had someone else. It'd be pretty crabby of her to get in the way of that. And she promised she wouldn't let her emotions ruin anything.  "A dive is an understatement, it just looks a lil' fishy to me." Mari added with a renewed grin.  In a lot of ways,  his friendship would be better anyway.

Baldur exclaimed loudly, in a typical 'dad' fashion as he gestured toward the aptly named NPC. Mari couldn't help but snort, followed by a loud laugh she covered with her hand. "You'd think they would have scaled back the humor a bit. Eh?" Mari said with a grin. "I can almost guarantee it was for the halibut - I'd say they cod do batter - but hey, we gotta make do with what we have."

Mari graciously accepted the fishing rod from the NPC - despite having her own.  "Markin's right Baldur - That could be one kriller fish. We shouldn't take it lightly." Mari set up her rod, hook, line, and sinker.  "Now, are you shore you're ready?" Mari asked Baldur - she already knew the answer, she just wanted to squeeze in another pun.

She followed Baldur to an empty spot on the piers edge, she glanced down at the water- watching its waves gently lap to and fro. This...was nice. "Don't be laughin' yet - if we get too far ahead of ourselves we may be in for a krabby time." 

Her eyes flashed as Baldur offered him a deal, grin as wide as loan shark - how could she possibly say no to that face? "Tch, okay - but don't clam up on me now! Mari cast out her line, and after a few minutes she got something,  pulling on the float - Mari jerked the rod then went to reel in her line. Sighing as she came up empty. "Well, that wasn't a reel good start, was it?"

@Baldur

ID:168053  CD 3 + 2 (fishing) = 5 FAIL
9 for success required

Baldur's eyes were still wide as Marlin handed him a rod. Once Mari had hers, he walked her over to the edge. "Man, what a crab. He really feels defensive about this fish, I could see the anchor in his eyes. But if we alpha strike this thing to death, I'm going to eel over in laughter."

He gestured for Mari to go first, "Shall we make a bet to seal the deal?" The bemused expression never left his face, "Whoever gets the killing blow gets bragging rights back at bass."

*editing later*
Baldur pun count :23

Mari Pun count: 26

Edited by Mari