[PP | F1]<<Earning a Living: Cook>>

The feeling of movement felt extremely odd to him. Despite it being a false reality within the mind, he had only been dreaming the entire length of time. Walking felt strange to him as the young man made it to the bulletin board. 5 long years had passed by with a blink of an eye. No telling what would happen had he continued being held captive other than death. He had forgotten a vast majority of his abilities and had managed to salvage bare minimum things. Raidou and friends had sent him items to welcome him back to the living. It was still hard to believe that he was still within this game after thinking he was free. He pushed those thoughts to the back as he relayed a message on the board.

"Looking for help on Earning a Living again." He posted a short and sweet message. A smile formed on his lips as he had done this quest so many times with other people. It was strange that he had forgotten how he was a blacksmith back then. This was a fresh start for him. He was going to challenge himself in becoming a cook. Perhaps he was going to find himself making certain unique items such as pastries that would draw attention. This would mean he would try a lot of new spices and various things to do to complete the challenge. A tear fell from his face without him noticing and he wiped the trail away after feeling the slight damp sensation. He frowned for only a short second before deciding to wait in the shaded seating area for someone to come by and accept his cooking with him."Time for a fresh start..." He took one deep breath to shake off the anxiety within him. Eyes looked up as he began to stare at the passing blue clouds of the first floor. 

Spoiler

Level 14: HP:280 Energy 28

Weapon: Jagged Fang
+2 DMG +1 Bld

Armor: Rose Prism
+ 1 EVA +2 MIT

Trinkets: Primrose Crose
+3 Loot Dice

Eye of Rain

+2 ACC +1 REC

Skills:
Dagger: Rank 3

Edited by Kiluia Seiko
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freyd was only passing through the market section of the Town of Beginnings, but felt compelled to stop and read the local message boards.  There was something strangely nostalgic about the place, despite the fact that he'd hidden here for so many years - hidden from himself.  It was important to him to return, from time to time, to renew his pledge and keep moving forward.  He'd lost so much time, but had made quick progress since fate had intervened.  One message caught his attention; someone named Kiluia was asking for help. 

"The profession quest for cooking?"  he mused.  Not exactly of any benefit to me, but maybe that's precisely the point.  The few other players he had interacted with directly, so far, had been both generous and helpful.  Freyd was the solitary type and rarely sought out others for the sake of social interaction alone, but he could get behind making an ally with a valuable skill.  Opening the request window, he accepted, including the group invitation.

He turned his head into his shoulder.  "Come on Persi, let's go see who's out there."

A quiet purr and slight rippling of shadow on the back of his black cassock were the only signs of acknowledgement.

Spoiler

Name: Freyd
Level: 20
HP: 400/400
EN: 40/40

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 14
Accuracy: 2
SAVVY:1
HLY:2
KEEN:1
BLD:12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Forgiven Disobedience (T1-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Enduring Guile (T1-LA, MIT 1, SAV 1)
Misc: Justicar's Vambraces (T1-Trinket, ACC 1, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter

Mods:

None

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Fish snack (+1 ACC)*1
Divinity's Wait (T1 Mit 3)*1
Liquor of Light (T1 DMG 3)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

He took notice of the player coming from the board. He hopped up to his feet and brushed his legs off."Hup!" It was the sound he made when he jumped up. He was happy that there were still people looking to help people out when starting over. Upon closer inspection, he took pieced together that it was a familiar face that had helped Eruda and crew with a quest. At least the introductions wouldn't be too tragic this time around. "Heyo!" He waved over at Freyd. His arm extended relatively all the way up waving. It was only a couple days since then right? It was then he took notice to the familiar. His HUD went off and he confirmed it was Freyd who had accepted. Hope this goes real quick.

"Thanks for accepting." He spoke as soon as Freyd got closer. "I need all the help I can get nowadays since I feel like I'm starting all over again. I don't think that there will be other people but just in case anyone does come, we can leave our coordinates. Its not exactly too far from here where I want to gather some materials for cooking. In return, when I do get myself up in rank, I'll cook for you no charge." It was the least he could do for someone who tolerated him. 

The fork dropped into the bowl of, what even was it, molten cheeto sludge? Another failed attempt at cooking mac and cheese left Elora feeling defeated and hangry. "Christ, it shouldn't be this difficult to make something with three ingredients! 'cook until noodles are done' my ass! How was I suppose to know they would just disintegrate if I cooked them an extra minute or five?" She held her stomach as it growled incessantly, demanding to be fed. "I guess this means I'll be going out to buy a meal AGAIN" 

And with that, Elora was off to find sustenance. On her way to the food court district, she happened by a conversation that piqued her interest: "I want to gather some materials for cooking. In return, when I do get myself up in rank, I'll cook for you no charge" 

Was that an offer for FREE FOOD? She must have been overhearing a conversation between two chums. Still, she couldn't help but wonder if there was a chance she could get in on that deal. But how am I going to approach them without making it obvious that I'm just interested in a meal? She took notice of something that the player had mentioned earlier. It was something along the lines of: "I don't think there will be other people, but Justin Case emptied...one?...dos crumbs? We can leave our condolences" 

Boy was he wrong! I don't know who this Justin Case guy is, but I'm sure that I could contribute more than his measles crumbs!

"Sounds like you guys are looking for another member!", she called out while jogging up to meet them. "I'm Elora!"

Spoiler

LEVEL - 6

HP 120

EN - 1

DMG - 6 

ACC - 1

SKILLS

Non-combat:

Passive:

Combat:

Weapon Skills: 2H Assault Spear R1 (+4 base damage)

Blast (2 Energy +2 per target hit) - A pair of horizontal sweeping strokes that hits multiple targets.

Straight (2 Energy) - Begins with the player bending their knees before thrusting forward with a singular powerful strike covering the gap between you and your opponent.

INVENTORY

Weapons: [Equipped] 2H Assault Spear (Rare)

Rank 1:

Damage - Gain +(1 * Tier) base damage per slot

Accuracy - Gain +(1 per slot) to the BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit

Rank 2:

Damage - Gain +(1 * Tier) base damage per slot

Edited by Elora

The edges of Freyd's lips curled slightly upward.  It might have been the closest thing to a real smile Kiluia had seen on his face.  "I'm Freyd," he replied, as the green-haired woman approached.  "This is Kiluia's quest," he added, gesturing towards his companion.  "I'm just tagging along to help pass the time.  Are you interested in becoming a cook too?"  He was soft-spoken and had a gentle, unassuming manner about him.  Of modest height and slim build, with permanently tussled brown hair and wide brown eyes, Freyd was uncannily average in every way imaginable.  Only his garb stood out as odd - a black priest's cassock with a pair of highly polished steel vambraces covered all over with finely engraved words.   

It only took a moment for party invites to be shared.  This wasn't likely to take very long.  

"Where does this quest start, Kil? The finder won't actually let me locate it, since I've already completed the merchant version."

His eyes brightened up as he looked over at Elora. Another person to help him with his situation of making col and actually be a helping member of society. "Hello, Elora. I'm Kilua or Kil is fine." He looked at the two and added the to the party when it was able to do so."Right the same thing applies to you too, Elora. I'll cook for ya when you need something. No charge." The excitement to cook something was making him anxious to start. When Freyd posed the question, he simply answered him about the contents of the quest. "Basically, we just need to find some things out in the wild on floor one. Nothing difficult like killing anything unless we want to. We can look for whatever seafood by the river or out in the grasslands. I need 5 things to bring back to cook." He finished speaking and nodded.

He soon headed in the direction with his fellow companions eager to get the quest under way. " I'm hoping this won't take too long and take too much of your time. But I already offered all I can do and thats some free grub." Hands were behind his head as he walked toward the exit of the town." But I promise you, I'll make you something good in the future you can brag about."

Elora shook her head in response to Freyd's question, "No, cooking isn't really my forte. I'm working on becoming an Alchemist" A merchant, huh?, Elora thought skeptically as she eyed his attire. Before she could give his appearance further consideration, the white-haired player had begun introducing himself to her. "Hello, Elora. I'm Kilua or Kil is fine." His name is...Kill? Oh no, what kind of chef's cult have I just agreed to join? What if they're looking for human sacrifices?! 

She had begun to sweat nervously as the three of them embarked on their adventure outside of the city's gates. In this terrain, anything was fair game. She needed to watch her back. In the meantime, she would play it cool and maybe feign ignorance. If they didn't know she was onto them she might have a better chance of surviving. Even better, maybe the three of them could find someone else to sacrifice. 

"Ah!  An alchemist!  Excellent.  I don't believe I know anyone with that trade yet.  Have you been at it long?"  Freyd suspected not, but had no cause to be rude.  Freyd led them out into the fields, taking a moment to greet one of the gate guards on the way out.

"Hey Marv,"  he blurted out suddenly.  'Marv', whose tag just said 'Gate Guardian', did not respond.  It seemed like an inside joke.  The lake near Old Pete's boat launch had plenty of material spawning points, he recalled, so he led them in that direction.  

"Have at it.  This spot is flush with mat spawn points and shy on aggressive mobs.  It should provide what you need."

As if by provenance, he stopped and looked down, reaching for a random and perfectly formed head of lettuce at his feet.  Touching it, he dispatched it to his storage and started wandering about looking for more.

Spoiler

image.png.214d0f1407a20f4e915da696e1736694.png

Found 1x T1 Mats

"An alchemist huh?" He thought for a moment while following Freyd toward the wilderness. " I can't  say I know any alchemists. But when I get my business going, maybe we can go into business or something. " He thought about the initial idea and looked around. Seeing Freyd find something already was impressive. The idea that the area was away from monsters was also a good idea. He looked around the bushy area looking for any materials he could use.c

After spending a few minutes, he found absolutely nothing of use or at least in cooking. His eyes wandered to the small ant hill and was distracted by that momentarily before speaking. "So what do you sell, Freyd? I wanted to ask you that since you seem pretty good at the profession already. Maybe I can get some ideas on what to market like useful to not so useful..." 

Spoiler

image.png.a56d312aaadc444b2f839fc210b05eff.png

No materials found

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

"Well, I've only really gathered materials at this point. Haven't actually had the chance to try my hand at crafting anything with them", responded Elora. In reality, she had just felt too nervous and discouraged to even begin. After all, the first potion she had crafted with Warren turned out looking like a burnt chowder. Go into business? What does that mean?, she thought as she considered Kill's offer. 

While he and Freyd had begun to converse about something else, she took the time to eye the area for herbs. It hadn't been long since she had first visited this region with Jackpot, the player who helped her earn the title of an Alchemist. This time around, the location seemed pretty picked over and devoid of the herbs that she needed in order to create potions. 

She tuned back into the other players' conversation: "Maybe I can get some ideas on what to market like useful to not so useful..." Kill brought up a good point. It wouldn't be long before she and him would need to fight tooth and nail to get their products sold in the competitive market landscape. The thought only increased Elora's fear that she wouldn't be good enough to survive in the shadows of others in her profession.

Spoiler

ID#: 155562 LD7 Fail

Edited by Elora

Tossing a rock behind him that he'd mistakenly assumed to be a hunk of ore, Freyd wandered about the field without much interest in the task at hand.  He had just signed up to help out Kiluia, who seemed like a decent guy who was just struggling to find himself.  Wasn't that true for most players here?  Freyd suspected that Kil would make a great warrior one day.  He just needed a chance to regain lost confidence - something Freyd himself knew well.

Elora was a greater mystery.  Freyd considered himself to be a good judge of character, and felt that there was something amazing buried within her, but it felt suppressed under many layers of doubt.  He was well-practiced at playing the unassuming noob, and could spot it right away when others attempted the same thing.  Sometimes, they just didn't realize they were doing it.  How could he reach her?

"Hey, Elora, can I commission you to make me some LD buff consumables when we're done here?  I've spent way too much time walking around and waiting for good loot drops.  It would be great to have something to skew the odds better in my favour." 

Spoiler

image.png.db49a75f229e2d8f16ea16b1c454f77d.png

No mats found.

RNG was not a pleasant being today. He knew it was not going  to be easy but he didn't expect it to be this time consuming. He did show apperciation. Perhaps when this was all said and done, he would treat them to some food."Looks like nothing over here. "He had been looking over by the shaded area for nuts or berries.

Upon hearing about Loot Pots, he took a sudden interest in that topic. "I would love to have a potion like that. Freyd will attest that my luck is somewhat horrible  and this game makes it ten times worse." He laughed at the remark at his own expense. He was sure luck played a huge factor with everyone  though. "I'm desperate and might see if there are mushrooms next..." Before he was a blacksmith. He was unsure about how the taste function worked or was it a lot of trial and error? When this was all said and done, he would look for an experience chef to tutor him and teach him the trade.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200627-120157_Chrome.jpg.398e0b94a7fe68d70bbd53ece6ba58f6.jpg

LD 15+ Requirement not met

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

683a3c9c6d5a699e0a8c2fe4622ea3a0.thumb.jpg.f9d476170cd99a62fc70cf6caf3c95a8.jpg"Uh, sure. I'm sure making them wouldn't be difficult. And I know what you mean. I feel like most of my time doing quests is wasted on turning over every rock and blade of grass I can for just the chance of finding something" She kind of enjoyed that aspect though. Something about the surprise in uncovering reward made the exploration even more exciting. As she spoke, she continued scrutinizing the underbrush in the hopes that it would contain mushrooms for her and Kill to gather.  I've already done this twice though, so I should be better at it BY NOW, she criticized herself.

"Why don't we walk a little further to see if we have better odds somewhere else?" Her statement's undertone seemed to convey the frustration she felt. She lead them down a nearby knoll, following the direction of a small waterfall that was gushing from the rocks. At its base, a pod of minnows swam steadily against the current. "More stuff might grow around this water-source"

(click to watch the fishies swim)

1760635405_original(1).gif.cd4f7fea5904192b65d723df92969aed.gif

Spoiler

ID#: 155883 LD14 Fail

Edited by Elora

"Gathering is an exercise in patience and spec," was Freyd's response.  He seemed to possess the former in abundance, but not the latter.  "Oh, and it definitely helps not to have pissed off the random number generator at any point.  She and I have a complex relationship.  I suppose that's true for just about every one of us."

Maybe it was the priestly garb, or maybe Freyd just liked to wax philosophical.  He made his way towards the area Elora had suggested, peering here and there without much success.  "The merchant trade suits me better, I think.  I can't even use these materials, save as currency to purchase things from other vendors."  His head perked up and turned to Kil.

"That gives me an idea.  I can't necessarily use the mats I collect myself, but you could."  He looked at Elora in turn.  "You both could.  I'll make you each a deal: I'll supply you both with materials from time to time, which will help you both train up your proficiency.  My condition is that I get whatever you produce with them, at no cost.  They can then help me train up my merchant ranks in turn.  Agreed?"

@Kiluia Seiko

Spoiler

image.png.c9af5e74c18660b8996e91330d672918.png

LD 15+ required.  No materials found.

It was right before Elora had mentioned  to leave that Kiluia decided to move to the riverlike bend near them. A smile crept to his face as he managed to find an ingredient that would help him make this quest go along easier. He tucked the ingredient in his inventory before speaking. "Two down. 3 left. " Eyes would look again but back up at the two. "I think it is wise for us to move on. I think we drained the area of its limits." He glanced toward down the path  of the river." Maybe some seafood item will come of this."

The offer Freyd had given him allowed him to think  about business. It was then  he remembered that his father would  teach him connections and bonds. "That sounds like a good negoation. I think that me getting level ups is fine... But I wanna make dessert and maybe some seafood? I do like it.."  @Elora

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200627-220358_Chrome.thumb.jpg.418ce9a773740361bf2e659e5c4cff55.jpg

Material Gathering  Successful 

Mat x 1 

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

"So, basically a feedback loop?", remarked Elora. "I guess that's not a bad idea" Part of her took offense at the idea of creating products to give to him free of charge. Even though it seemed fair in regards to the two of them mastering their trades, she was hoping to immediately find costumers who would recognize and pay for the value of her potions. "When it comes to starting out, I don't know that we have much of a choice but to do just that", she admitted.

It seemed that the change in landscape had helped her odds. Elora easily managed to finally find an herb that was growing within a shallow pool of algae near the river. With thick stems and rigid oval leaves, the plant almost looked like a succulent sitting atop a mesh of mangrove-like roots. She used the end of her spear to saw through its tough roots to collect it in its entirety.

Elora's ears perked up at Kill's mention of dessert. "Do you think you'd be able to make something that tastes like chocolate and mint? I've been dying to have something with that flavor for so long!"

Spoiler

Rolling to gather at 15+

ID#: 156170 LD17 Success

Edited by Elora

Freyd laughed out loud that the passionate desire behind Elora's plea for her cravings to be appeased.  It wasn't something he'd really considered, but his own recently developed morning coffee ritual wasn't very different.  He gave Kiluia a knowing glance, as if telling him that he'd better find a way to deliver.

"I'm not very far along in profession training myself, but it seems like most of the trade happens between higher tier players.  If we want to get in on the action, we'll need contacts in our own level range.  There's no sense in wasting an opportunity, in my humble opinion."

A quick inspection of fronds and bushes near the water's edge revealed nothing of interest.

"I have a shop in Angel's Point, on floor thirteen.  It's out of the way, but the location had other appeal.  Drop in if you ever need teleport crystals, maps, rations, immolation potions, or the like.  I'll eventually get around to putting things on the shelves... once I build some shelves."

@Kiluia Seiko

Spoiler

image.png.da24506297d282b63be5373bd7258701.png

No materials found.

Kiluia looked over at Elora and smiled slightly. " I had been doing some reading and investigations. I heard that you can combine certain material to make things taste like what our world has. It comes at a price but I wanna be like a gourmet hunter that figures that stuff all out. Of course, when I find out the proper materials, You'll be the first to taste my dessert." He laughed a bit as her craving sparked more of him wanting to go after this even more. 

He listened to Freyd speak about where his shop was and it interested him about Freyd. "What exactly did you do before all this craziness happened you two?" He looked over at them and then noticed a pile of nuts that he could use. Lucky! He stashed that away in his inventory before speaking to them.  "I was a high school student.. A politicians son." @Elora

Spoiler

image.png.ce2293fb729da37c6d391d473ddc5bc2.png

Gathering Mats Success +3 LD

Material x 1

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

Elora seemed to silently beam with anticipation at the promise of being able to taste her favorite treat again. She would wholehearted look forward to the day Kill could make and share it with her. As if by prophesy, she spotted the same species of mint-like plant that she had gathered once before in this region. Then, it was used to create an eye drop serum to sooth the merchant's 'impaired vision'. This time she picked the herb to save it for a special occasion. 

Meanwhile, she listened in to Freyd as he introduced the location of his shop. Angel's Point? That sounds kind of...opulent. And on Floor 13th...doesn't he realize there's superstition associated with that number? Eh, maybe it isn't unlucky in the culture that he's from.

"What exactly did you do before all this craziness happened you two?"

The suddenness of such a personal, and almost taboo question caught her off guard. No one had ever asked her about her life outside of this one. Without an immediate answer coming to mind, Elora choose to remain silent to buy more time. She'd let Freyd take the initiative on this topic since he had seemed so chatty. 

Spoiler

Rolling to gather at 15+

ID#: 156197 LD16 Success

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by Elora

"Blogger.  Gamer.  General layabout.  Pick one, if you'd like, but all of them apply.  I was wasting my life out there before I decided to waste the next few years of it in here."  He actually looked a bit sheepish, suggesting that it was probably the truth.  Freyd was amazed that he'd actually had the nerve to admit it.  The rest of the details were not to be shared in casual conversation with relative strangers.  

"I ended up hiding from my own shadow in the Town of Beginnings when all this shit went down.  I should have been out here instead."  Freyd actually seemed to be mad at himself, which was notable one two counts: first because he was actually showing more than a placid level of emotion, second because of the sheer vehement intensity of anger he was directing himself.  It disappeared almost as soon as it crossed his face.