[PP | F1]<<Earning a Living: Cook>>

He listened to Freyd and was jealous of his lifestyle. It seemed childish but he yearned for a life where he could of been something along those lines that he could of been aware of things other than leading a life of social etiquette." I wouldn't call it a complete waste. You did do something you did like. It may of turned into something you didn't but once upon a time you did enjoy those things.. "  He peered over at the new spot and grinned at the meaty crab, he snatched it up and managed to actually get it. His eyes lit up as the seafood dish was starting to become more like a real thing now. He glanced over at Freyd." It is natural for someone who wants to hide. I hid away too. I was running and pretending to do something. But it was really nothing since it was orphans of NPC's.. Yanno? Like it was weird to play house with them. I couldn't actually figure out why I was doing it but soon I found a home with Raidou and others.. so I stopped hiding and went to challenge myself. Now I'm back doing this low level questing because somehow my brain is fuzzy.."

Spoiler

image.png.7e958eb7464dbef8102ee3273476b737.png

Material x1 3/5 gathered

Edited by Kiluia Seiko
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elora was thankful that the conversation had moved on a little from the initial question. It gave her a natural opportunity to contribute without divulging details any about herself. "Wait, so you buddied up with NPCs to find company?", she directed at Kill. The thought was actually kind of fascinating. In order to do something like that, he probably needed to ignore the uncanniness of it all or succumb to madness. Whichever it was, she honestly couldn't be that surprised. It seemed now more than ever, players were divided into either one of the two camps. Elora almost wished she had taken the opportunity to exploit the life-like programming of the system. Maybe then, she wouldn't have spent those years feeling purposeless, trying to sleep away the nightmare. 

She picked up on something else he said in passing: "But it was really nothing since it was orphans of NPC's"

"Was it really nothing though?" The defensive tone of her response surprised even her. Nonetheless, she continued, "You clearly still have a fond memory of your times interacting with them. Even if they aren't real, your perceptions of them are. That's what makes the difference" Elora paused just long enough for her statement to cause a stiff silence in the air. She had taken too long to grasp and articulate any further considerations on the idea, and now the atmosphere surrounding it just felt awkward.

Spoiler

ID#: 156404 LD2 Fail

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by Elora

"I talk to the NPCs all the time," He admitted proudly.  "Honestly, it's kind of liberating.  Some of them are far more interactive than others."  Marv, his gate-guard buddy at the entrance to the Town of Beginning, immediate sprang to mind.  "The way I look at it, treating them like people reminds us of what that means.  The biggest threat in here isn't Cardinal, or Kayaba Akihiko, or even other players; it's ourselves."

*Thump*

*oof*

Freyd had just tripped over something while waxing philosophical, stumbling to his knees in the process.  He collected the shrub that had just materialized in his path, not having seen it spawn at the last second.

"Think of it this way," he added, clambering back to his feet.  "What if the NPCs are or ever did become sentient?  What if the outside world can figure out a way to watch what's happening in here?  What do you want them to--" he cut himself off. 

"No, the better question is: what do you want to see of yourself when they play your actions and behaviour back to you.  Even if I never escape this place, I would rather have tried to help, treating others well along the way.  I'd say you've already got a few notches in the right column on that count, Kil."  Freyd glanced back at Elora.  He didn't know her as well, and she was very coy about sharing anything.  His curiosity demanded a response, though he doubted he would get one.

Spoiler

image.png.f48ab3e29e63bf4b00c95ea097b9c1e0.png

Found 1x T1 material

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

He wasn't exactly truthful when it came to the situation with the orphans. He nodded listening to Freyd and Elora." You are correct. I met someone. She was a friend of mine. She and I visited the orphanage quite often but one day she vanished without a thought. We were doing our best and I try to put it at the back of my mind." He looked at fresh greens that seemed edible. It looked like mushrooms to him. Perhaps a hotpot would be his first dish. It seemed to be where this was leading. "I spent time there because the woman who runs the place is not an NPC. She is kind with a large heart. But Kana..." 

He left it at that for now. Maybe after a round of drinks and some food, he would spare the story. "Almost done guys. We can do this." He offered them a smile." So were you a spy?" He looked at Elora and smiled. He wasn't going to let her escape the other previous question."You don't have to answer that.. I'd rather not die today."

Spoiler

image.png.3d09a204edd785633c91884b7772efb2.png

Materials Gathering x1 4/5 Collected

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

Elora continued her search, all the while listening to the two of them talk. The river really had proven to provide plentiful resources for them to gather. Passing by a section where the riverbed was shallow, Elora noticed a cluster of plants with long stems and buoyant flower buds. They almost looked like lily pads that bent sideways to flow in the direction of the current. Long ruffled leaves resembling seaweed streamed from them while the buds floated and bounched atop the water's surface.  Once again, she used her spear to separate a segment of leaves and a flower to add them to her inventory.

At this point it seemed that the conversation had circled back to discuss what they were currently experiencing.

"So were you a spy?"

Or not.

"Yes", she replied with a stifled sarcastic grin. Kill seemed insistant that she answer his prodding questions, so she humored him with one. She attempted to give him an intimidating side eye to back up her response, but she probably appeared too close to bursting out laughing for him to take it seriously. 

Spoiler

ID#: 156546 LD18 Success

Edited by Elora

Kil's joke had hit closer to the mark than he had likely expected, but not for the right target.  Freyd hadn't joined SAO purely out of personal interest.  He'd been hired by one of Kayaba Akihiko's commercial rivals and set up with the game and nerve gear in a contract to do just that: spy.  When Kayaba sprung his trap, he became paranoid that Cardinal or its master were out to get him.  That fear compelled him to lay so low to the ground in the Town of Beginnings that he nearly lost himself in the process.  His isolation had lasted years.  He'd vaguely heard about the orphanage Kil described, but didn't know all of the details.  Pain seemed to be Kil's most notable memory from those days, and he didn't need to press on an open would.

Elora's response, in contrast, was more than avoidance.  It was deflection.  She must have her own secrets too.  Fair enough.  For the moment, he was content to let Kiluia and Elora exchange their banter.  Freyd stayed out of it, lost in his own thoughts while pretending to rummage through nearby foliage in search of something.  

He finally picked up another fish and grinned. Finally he was able to get this done and hopefully become a chef. Her remark made him laugh a bit as he side glanced her as well." Well lets home I am able to make you all a decent meal when we head back to Maggie's kitchen. " With a swipe, he opened up his HUD and into the inventory the item went. He was happy that he was able to get this part of the project done. Next he had to make the actual meal without screwing up. This actually caused him to flinch more than the actual gathering. He shook his head as he was already psyching himself out from the probability of making a failure. "Hope you are hungry, friends." 

Kiluia wasn't stupid. He knew everyone had their secrets but wanted to see if could get more information out of them.  He started his trek back to the quest giver. " Ya'll ready?" @Elora

Spoiler

image.png.9cb5ab3025d6482e36d4d208cc738593.png

Material x 1 5/5 materials Gathered

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

Elora had almost forgotten that she was promised a meal for accompanying this...she really didn't know what to think of the duo. Her initial impression that they were part of a cult that wanted to cook up and sacrifice other players to Cardinal may have missed the mark a little.  "You're lucky that this stuff probably doesn't go bad", she mentioned as the group began heading back to town. Her arms lifted and folded behind her head in a relaxed, but pleased posture. "Imagine being a traveling cook and trying to keep all of it refrigerated." 

"Then again, figuring that out would make you cooler than everyone else" She grimaced at the stupidity of her own pun. Well. Guess there's not recovering from THAT.

She held her gaze forward and tried to admire the scenery. It would be awhile before they made it to... I'm guessing some sort of medieval food court. There seem to be some eateries stationed between different vendors while others are arranged in a circle around different district's squares. Wonder what sort of location he's planning to settle into.

Edited by Elora

"You'll be able to open a shop once you've finished the quest, Kil.   Any thoughts on where you'd like to set up?"  He paused, as the realization struck.  "I wonder if Aincrad has changed much since you were last... active?  It's not like we necessary see any patches or expansions, like you normally might, but there have been events.  I'm told that they can have a major or even permanent effect on the environment.  You mentioned being a blacksmith.  Have to checked to see what became of your old shop?"

He stopped again, realizing how much he'd been rambling.  "Uh... sorry.  Curiosity got the better of me."  Freyd clamped his mouth shut, feeling rather sheepish after his outburst.  He'd been uncharacteristically chatty these last few days.  Maybe he'd been craving social contact more than he thought?  Maybe Marv just wasn't cutting it anymore?  Maybe it was time that he pulled his head a little more out of his shell, just to see what happened?

The joke legit killed him as he loved dad jokes. They were hilarious to him as they were so corny and cheesy he was able to just use them in the future. "I will remember that to use." He grinned looking at Elora. They weren't too far from the original mark but he looked over at Freyd and his question."I was a blacksmith. Most of the memories of the time I was there are intact.. However, I'm unable to use the skill anymore. I feel like its a free start over though the questing is terrible like I remember. " He frowned a bit before shrugging." Some things have changed. People left. The shop was taken over so I don't see why I need to get it again. I might do something close to a home I want to buy on floor 6. I'll invite you all over sometime when I'm cooking things. "

They were a few more minutes before getting to the shop." Please RNG.. Just let me do this once." @Elora

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

"What happened to you exactly? Did you get amnesia or something?" Elora felt like there was a gap in her knowledge in regards to Kill's situation. She didn't understand how a player could be 'inactive' from the game or even how doing so would influence their memories. Honestly the idea of it seemed very meta. Elora hoped that the question hadn't been too forward, but he seemed to have a way of wondering onto sensitive topics himself. On the other hand, she couldn't help but shudder to imagine his shop residing on Floor 6. She'd heard stories of the area's dangerous wildlife, especially its gigantic snakes. Even if Kill perfected his craft and transformed into a five-star chef, she didn't know if she had it in her to visit him in such a place. "Floor six is...a ways away, haha", she remarked chuckling nervously. Maybe by the time they would cross paths next, she would be strong enough to take on anything she might encounter there.

Freyd seemed surprised, or maybe mildly amused, by Elora's comment.  "The upper floors are nearer than you think.  Once you get off the first level, travel between the next few becomes relatively easy.  There are many dangers, and challenges aplenty, but the rewards can be worth it.   Bring a couple of friends along," he said, patting Kill on the shoulder to accentuate their common willingness.  He suspected that Kiluia's enthusiasm would have volunteered him in a moment anyway.

"Don't worry, Elora.  You'll be just fine.  My first battle - ever - was against a massive ice golem.  Fortunately, I was with a tank friend who basically chopped it to pieces while I made slushies out of its hide.  That was up on floor four, and I had nothing but starting gear to equip."  He neglected to mention that a single hit would have ended him instantaneously, or that he nearly pissed himself throughout the entire fight.  This was meant to be a feel-good booster moment.

@Kiluia Seiko

The party made it to the kitchen as he spoke to Freyd and Elora. " Well its complicated. I'm not exactly sure what all happened but the last thing I remember was setting off a trap and the rest of us plunged into darkness... I woke up and it was years later. " He gave her the simplified version of the story before placing the crab into the pot and it soon didn't work as the pot overflowed with high heat. He was unable to lower the heat before the material disappeared forever." You know... cooking a crab in reality just takes steam damn it. " He frowned as he started to clean up the mess he had made within the kitchen itself. He glanced at Freyd." My first fight was with a Lich. Raidou decided to hit it with Dracul. It was pretty fun to watch. I even got a treasure chest at the end. " @Elora

Spoiler

image.png.e72ec3d1e376a0b9d4d4c60b1083020b.png

Fail 4/5

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

Assuming I had any, Elora thought in response to Freyd's mention of having friends assist her in completing quests. It seemed that her hunger had finally driven her to feel more grouchy in her reactions to otherwise well-intentioned comments.

Elora's mouth began to water in anticipation for eating whatever Kill managed to cook. While scavenging in the fields had served as a good distraction for her earlier predicament, standing around now had made her feel intense hunger once again. Regardless of her restlessness to eat, she was confident that whatever he was able to put together would taste better than her sad attempt at cooking a meal. As long as she was able to taste a bite of what true cuisine tasted like, the adventure had probably been well worth it.

"Maybe the next time you make slushies out of a snow monster, Kill can make them into the kind that we can drink" Her comment did little to imply that she wanted to get something in her stomach soon and felt more like playful banter. Maybe that was for the best.

Freyd looked around the room, searching for the most innocuous spot in the room.  Settling on a small barrel of molasses in the far corner, he rolled it into a more comfortable position and sat himself down.  Colourful powders and glassware surrounded him like some roadside shrine.  He had no idea what any of it was.  Half of these things could have been laundry detergent and he wouldn't have known the difference.  

Having nothing else to contribute to Kil's efforts, and not wanting to distract him, he instead started poking his nose under tables and counters, and snooping around shelves.  Nothing of any use or value, to him at least.  Sigh.

As boredom sunk in his analytical instincts took over.  All of the patterns in the layouts of the jars, pots, canisters and other sundry containers suddenly became clear.  With the lightest nudge, he sent into motion a massive Rube Goldberg machine into motion.  As Kil worked away on the far side of the room, Freyd watched an incredibly complex sequence of pieces falling, turning and otherwise proceeding to make their way towards the other side of the room, to as yet unknown results.  He leaned back, silently blending into the shadows, as if he had never been there at all.

@Kiluia Seiko

Spoiler

image.png.c457263b21ee0a7101599b4245f02693.png

LD 15+ for treasure chest.  Nuthin.

He noticed that Elora had looked like she was hungry. He was saddened that he was unable to make this item for his friends to eat. This was something he was trying very hard to do. There were two more fails that occurred that caused him to lose a little heart at the situation. He still had two more tries before he was out of materials. Crap.  He thought as he spoke to them."Wish me luck guys." He sighed as he closed his eyes. Instead of shattering, a bright light came forth and he was there with something! 

His eyes widened as he looked at what he made. It was the nuts that he had used this time for materials. He laughed out loud as he finally made something of use. He looked at Elora and smiled. " Looks like its enough for you to eat. I'll buy your dinners after this for thanks."

Spoiler

image.png.05978fae5ce0b4c3297f2ed24abe0c88.png

image.png.c09837880b8567ece20d7a0955922315.png

image.png.2832b28903ba2a5ee158a281fd276f09.png

-3 Material 1/5 Remaining

Spoiler

Name: Roasted Nuts
Profession: Cook
Roll ID:157041
Roll Result: 10
Item Type: Snack
Tier:1
Quality:Uncommon
Enhancements: LD+1
Post Link:

Description: Regular seasoned roasted nuts. Flavorful and satisfying for the most part. Please stay hydrated after eating this. 

image.png

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

"Wow, nice work Kill!", she exclaimed lifting up both fists in front of her chest. "You're sure going to need to do a lot of gathering to make full meals. I guess giving potions to increase the odds of you and Freyd finding items really would be a big help." She nodded to affirm the idea to herself and crossed her arms. "Guess I'll need to start working on that soon then..." Hopefully it'll be easier than cooking. 

A small clattering noise nearby caught her attention. She turned her head to see a series of glass bottles, cardboard cartons, and wooden kegs that began to tip on their sides and collide into one another, like a line of dominos that had just been set into motion. "Uhh..." Well that looks like a disaster about to happen. Someone should probably take care of that. 

Elora immediately scanned the vicinity to find someone she could alert of the problem. The only person she noticed was sitting silently in a dark corner of the room. She narrowed her eyes at him in order to distinguish his features in the dim light. To Freyd, this probably looked like a glare. 

Edited by Elora

Freyd's eyes sheepishly followed the train of interconnecting events make its way across the room towards, directly towards Kil's newly completed, and hard-won snacks.  He caught sight of Elora glaring back at him and point to the impending disaster with her eyes.

"Ah crap," me muttered to himself, looking for options.  He suddenly went spastic, as if someone had tickled him from behind without warning, flailing and falling off his molasses barrel, which burst open and instantly covered him and all surrounding surfaces in its especially viscous contents.  

Persi, meanwhile, darted between table and chair legs, bags, sacks and past one especially startled mouse, leaping into the air just as a vial of vinegar was knocked over in the final sequence of the chain and started to spill over and down towards Kil's prize.  Interposing herself, like a hole in the air, her form swallowed the entirety of the liquid, completely averting disaster.  She was gone a moment later, without anyone being the wiser.

Freyd, meanwhile, was a complete and utter mess, but his distraction had captured everyone's attention.  Making a disgusting, stretching-suction sound as he peeled himself off the floor, his face and hair matted down with goo, he had a big goofy smile on his face and responded to Kiluia's dinner offer by asking whether he could go shower first?

Amber eyes stared at him quietly for a moment before loosing his crap laughing. He placed a hand over his mouth to refrain from snorting at the very fact that Freyd looked like he was attacked by a slime. The suction sound just made him lose it even more as tears started to well up on his eyes from laughing so hard. He was so enthralled by his creation he hadn't paid mind to the two before the sequence of events occurred. He tossed the nuts at Elora."Whoo.. that was a good laugh.." His breathing uneven as he looked at Freyd. "I really have no idea how you plan on getting yourself cleaned up, Freyd." Amber eyes still wet from laughter.

After he had fully recovered from laughing so hard, he thanked Maggie the Cook and for allowing him the item to help Freyd get cleaned up."Not exactly sure how.. this.. works. But! She does have a soap for you." He carefully handed the item to him trying to ensure he wouldn't get slathered in the fluid that entrapped his friend. "Can't exactly take you both to dinner like.. that." His eye perked a bit with a grin forming  on his features. @Elora

Elora couldn't help but laugh hysterically once Kiluia broke his cool. Her voice quickly changed from the initial chuckling to hyperventilating and shrill wheezing. It was difficult to refrain from making fun of Freyd's predicament when the event played out to be so over-the-top.. How the hell had all of that even happened? Poor guy. Elora barely had enough control of herself to catch the roasted nuts that were tossed her way. Her breathing eventually began to settle once Kill had begun to regain his composure and they were no longer endlessly contributing one another's amusement. Elora crouched down to address Freyd who was still sitting on the floor, "I'm sorry -- I just --", she began before losing it again.

"I just wasn't expecting you to deal with all of that. Are you ok?" She offered a gloved hand to help him get onto his feet. Hopefully the soap would be able to reset this mess and Freyd wouldn't have to go through a whole process to clean off.

Edited by Elora