[PP-F01] Unmasked (Mari, Itzal)

Considering?  

Mari bit her tongue. Tempted to say something, but - right. He was right. Considering the rumors, and her past. Calling him stupid, or saying he obviously had secrets was mild in comparison. Mari had to remember that people kinda didn't like being insulted. "Yeh, I'm a barrel of laughs, huh." Mari said, dry humour. Not her usual go-to of a pun, but still, it was right up her ally. 

Mari fell silent as the two talked, she didn't agree with parts on both sides. Mari didn't agree that one person held the power to clear any names. No one person, nor organisation could, that was up to the guilty person alone. And only through their actions and attitude could they find the redemption they seek. Then there was Hidden, who was asking an awful lot of a stranger.

"You know trust is hard to gain." Mari muttered quietly to Hidden. The fact the young girl was so ready to force someone else to trust her, whilst she didn't want to trust anyone else was...difficult to watch. Mari didn't expect anyone in this little tit-for-tat to trust anyone else, and that should have been fine. An amicable compromise and understanding, that's what they were here for right? Well, among other things. "Honestly, I don't think you can expect much more of a better answer than that." Mari said finally after Are's long winded speech. "But -" Mari paused, her eyes shifting back to the cloaked figure. 

Something just wasn't right about him, Mari didn't like it.  The feeling in her gut. "If we're all exchanging names, Are." Mari placed emphasis on the word - she didn't believe it was his real name. She had no reason to question it, beyond the fact the name sounded stupid - and that he was hiding his face. Everything pointed to the fact that he was clearly trying to hide his identity. Mari didn't really care about his real name though, if he wanted to hide it that was fine with her. Let him call himself Are, Batman, or whatever else.   "Are you gonna remove that..." She twiddled her fingers, "Spooky smoke screen ya got going on there? Or do I have to look at someone who looks like they're a pack a day smoker the entire time?"

@Hidden @Itzal

You know trust is hard to gain." 

She heard these words muttered before Are could begin to speak. Internally she was frustrated. How could she of all people forget something like that? She hardly trusted anyone and she just asked this random guy to trust a girl with an orange cursor. How stupid could she be? 

However, Are was surprisingly easy to get to talk. He was far more open ended with his questions then his own appearance. She listened to each of his words carefully, trying to take them to his fullest meaning. Her nose wrinkled at the idea of having Hestia be in control of everything. "Why am I not surprised that the power system is out of wack. If it was actually fair then there would be multiple people in which the power was divided amongst" Hidden's words carried a hint of bitterness with them. It was due to her thought on the fact that it made sense if the APD was just a power gain for Hestia and Itzal. A way to use a made-up title to change Aincrad to how they wanted. 'God they're asshole's' Hidden thought. She'd eventually find both of them and make them eat their actions. 

Her mouth parted to sit open as she stood in shock. 'They already knew where Laughing Coffin was? And they haven't done a f*cking thing?' He began to ramble on how it would take timing and coordination and he was going to see if the frontliners were ready for that sort of thing come the time of the boss raid. 'This kid also knows where Laughing Coffin's base is, and has the ability to waltz it up to the frontlines without risking being ignored or jailed. Why is everyone in this god forsaken world so useless? The frontlines with the help of a few others would have absolutely no problem taking them down. This kid must be low leveled or some shit to be having a problem with them.' 

She left him finish without interrupting. Her gaze held a sort of reproachfulfulness as she looked at him. She wouldn't deny that she was not very happy about the fact that they already knew about the location but just hadn't done anything. Had they done something, she might not have been captured or hunted down for info. Quite a few lives would have been saved as well.  Mari acknowledged his words and told her that Are's words were better than she could hope to get. However, she seemed rather unsure about why Are kept up with his mask. Hidden didn't care. She knew all too well the many reasons why someone would put on a mask, play as a different person, and refuse to show her identities. Whether it was a fear of how the world would judge, doing business without revealing one's identity would also allow for to keep his private life separate. As soon as you could match a face to a name there was no going back.  

"Alright Are. I'm sorry that I asked so much of you. I suppose it's time to give you what you earned."

She took a breath, closing her eyes for a moment. Her heartbeat was going crazy as anxiety creeped into her lungs and heart. Giving up her name to a face was absolutely terrifying. With just two words, she would change everything for herself in the world of Aincrad. And maybe even perhaps she'd have to go deeper down that dark road as she was forced to kill this player who attacked her because how did he put it? Rounding up player killers because she was a threat?

"My name is H-Hidden. I am currently the one who is highest on the APD's bounty board." She almost mumbled the sentence, afraid to get it out. Now that she had, she needed to keep the momentum before Are decided when would be the best time to attack her. 

"I am not willing to turn in myself or Adrian, instead I want pardoning for us both in the promise that we will assist with taking down Laughing Coffin and... turn over a new leaf." She wasn't too sure on Adrian turning over a new leaf, he would only say that he would help her take down Laughing Coffin. Perhaps he could be talked down from any further crime. She would do her best to remain close to him that she could convince him out of any plan that he had cooked up in that warped mind of his. 

"I want you to do your best in ensuring that I'm no longer on the bounty board and that I am welcomed back onto the frontlines." She waited for his response, her hand lowering down to the folds of her skirt to where she could pull her dagger if the need to fight arose. If Are refused then there wouldn't be any choice but to kill him. He knew her face now and she wasn't willing to let that information out unless it was for a step in the right direction. 

Barrel of laughs? Itzal had to think about what she said a moment before he figured it out. 'Oh she thought I was talking about rumors revolving around her rather than me.' He didn't worry about correcting her though. That wouldn't exactly do anything for the conversation and she seemed fine with the outcome... Sort of. Either way he understood how she viewed it so he wouldn't do or say anything vague enough that it could be seen as an insult. This was partly why he didn't like hanging out around the frontlines. It was walking on eggshells all the time, hoping you didn't annoy someone the wrong way, cause an argument that lasted an hour, and essentially waste people's time and ruin potential partnerships. This was why he needed a break from the frontlines.

When she mentioned the power system, Itzal thought about defending Hestia on the topic of perspective, but he decided against it. There was no doubt that Mari, and possibly the girl knew that Hestia was trying to do what she thought was best. That was just the natural drive of most people. However they all naturally agreed that one person in power was a recipe for disaster. Thus he would remain silent in quiet agreement. However, he could see the girl's face twist in disgust when he mentioned he had the coordinates to laughing coffin. He wasn't sure why she reacted that way, but he had a feeling there was some miscommunication, likely through a lack of information and knowledge. For example, he had left the frontlines for a good period of time, and he gained the coordinations only after he left them. Which meant that he needed to ensure they were working together rather than stabbing each other in the back before he could trust them enough to give the coordinates to. Only then could he take the leap of faith.

After he finished, Mari was the first to speak. Telling the girl that his response would likely be the best one the girl was going to receive from Itzal. Or, Are rather. Though she ended it with a 'but' and continued, essentially asking him in a pun like fashion if he wouldn't mind showing his face to the two of them. While it was refreshing to talk to someone who used a lot of jokes and puns, even if they were sarcastic, this one he couldn't oblige and shook his head. "I mean no offense but I'm afraid you'll need to grow accustomed to my appearance. It's nothing personal." It really wasn't either, there was no lie there. He used this armor for everyone save for Zandra... But that was because of how close the two had become. Not long after Mari's comment the girl apologized for asking... Well a lot from him. She was right, she'd demanded a great deal from him despite coming for aid. However with the kind of person Itzal was. He simply nodded, accepting the apology and not adding anything onto it. It really wasn't much of a big deal for him. However.... When she told him her username.

Itzal's eyes widened a bit. Out of all the players in Aincrad, he hadn't expected to run into her anytime soon. Let alone without a cloak on. The girl who let Adrian go. The girl who betrayed Domarus and wanted him destroyed. The girl Itzal seriously owed an apology to.

His initial mental reaction was mostly a 'what do I do' thought process. He couldn't just apologize to her, the last thing either of them needed was his identity being revealed to them. If anything it would make her life a lot harder as she wouldn't listen to him nearly as openly as she would to Are. The second possibility was arresting her but he knew that was a bad idea. She'd worked with Domarus for a long while so she'd been manipulated by him at some point. As a result any harm she did could have derived from her. He didn't know her so he couldn't tell where it came from. But one thing he could be sure of was that regardless of what she'd done, she was trying to do better. How did he know this? Because Mari was doing the same thing, and her supportive comments and whispers, as well as Hidden's reaction to those whispers, made it abundantly clear that she was doing all she could to drop old habits and press forward. Not to mention she was doing her best to clear her name. And finally, there was no deception that Itzal could detect in her eyes. After a good full minute and a half of silent thinking, he took a deep and silent breath and spoke.

"It may take some time, but I should be able to help you clear your name. However the ease of that task will greatly depend on you Hidden, not me. Regarding Adrian." He paused for a moment as he tried to think of how to explain this in a... In a manner that didn't seem like he was shutting down the idea right off of the bat. "After Domarus' defeat with Hestia and Itzal, they took him in for questioning. I was there, though I didn't say much, just listened. After learning everything, including Adrian's origins, what you request regarding the boy is a far more difficult one to agree with. Since his escape, he's murdered even more players, not seeming to stop. As long as he keeps trying to murder we can't allow him to roam free. It was Itzal and Hestia's hope that should we catch him, we lock him up and find a therapist or psychiatrist to visit and treat him. In their words; "He's just a child after all, and should have the chance at a normal life again'."

@Mari

"Power is rarely fair, both here and out there." Mari added bitterly. She thought back to her bastard ex lawyer of a husband and how he abused his status, power, and wealth to gain the system. Mari grew up thinking the judicial system - whilst flawed, was at least just. Boy howdy how wrong she had been. Mari sighed. She had grown jaded by it, used to it. But hearing others distaste for it, she couldn't blame them. Power  was always unbalanced. And there was rarely a way to make it equal. "Unfortunately, it's not something that can ever be made equal - there'll always be some ass hat to mess it up."

Hidden and Are continued to talk, mostly about matters that Mari had very little care or investment in. They talked about the laughing coffin - and Are mentioned something about the frontliners considering taking care of it. Or at least - he wanted to approach them. It was at this point Mari spoke up. "Yanno most the frontliners probably don't know what your internal squabbles with this guild are. When I spoke to Macradon, and Shield - neither seemed to know what the Laughing Coffin was." She added their names, as they carried more weight. Mari had talked about the Laughing Coffin with them before, and like her - seemed to have no real clue or care to who the  guild was. "At most - I managed to pry out some information about Opal going and messing around with them."   Mari had known Opal, spoken to her - one may even say they could have been friends...if Mari wasn't chased away from society. But Opal was dead, and thus - a literal dead end.  

"I also..." Mari began to twirl a strand of hair around her finger. "Have to wonder about the usefulness of the APD. If Hidden has a higher bounty than say, myself or Macradon - who have taken several more lives than she has. SHe's what, taken a single life? Let some poor kid go? Forgive me for being crass. But what the absolute f**k is wrong with ya'll? Where are your priorities? Who is making these bounties?"

Mari stepped closer to Hidden, a small act to show she had the girls back. Mari didn't have a lot to say. Since this wasn't really her place, nor her fight - but the fact that Hidden had supposedly the highest bounty on the APD annoyed Mari greatly.  "And Hidden." Her voice softened as she turned to the girl. "Itzal, Hestia, the APD they can't ensure you're welcomed back yanno. Only you, and your actions can. The frontlines are...kinda a mess right now. They're not in a position to turn anyone away. So - as long as you show you can work with others, they won't have a problem with you."

She turned her attention back to Are - she had agreed with most, if not all of what he had said - so couldn't really chime in further. Although she felt his goal was a little lofty. Like, where the hell would they just so happen to find a qualified psychiatrist?  And these supposed players he had murdered? Why wasn't his name all over the Monument of life? When Macradon had checked, he hadn't really seen a mention of Adrian. "Say. Does this Adrian kid have a screen name or username?" Mari asked. "Or is it just Adrian?"
@Hidden @Itzal

Mari had always seemed a bit indifferent on her issues considering the Laughing Coffin and even brought to the front that some of the frontliners knew little about them. And even brought up a player named Opal which Hidden knew nothing about. "I am sorry, but I hardly know who these players are. If they don't know much about Laughing Coffin, I guess they've been lucky. I got mixed in with them when they were after Aereth and knew that he was associated with me. They used me to locate him." It had been a dreadful experience. One that she planned to make them pay for. It was the reason she hated them so much. 

Mari would then calmly launch pointed daggers at Are, politely striking at the APD for their way of going about things. Targetting herself while not going after players who have done real crimes. 'It is because they don't care to make all the criminals pay. They just want to do away with the players that have caused them trouble. They aren't even after Adrian because they want him to remain a secret or some shit. No, they want me to do their dirty work and bring him in.' 

As Mari brought to her attention the condition of the frontlines, she would nod. "I'll try." she promised her. Working with others however, wasn't Hidden's strong suit. In fact, it was going to be difficult to get them to even want to work with her. Who would want to stand by someone who attacked another player during a boss fight? Hirru entirely deserved it, but did everyone else see it that way? 

Are spoke up, telling her that he would do his best to clear her name but Adrian was a different story. "tch.." That kind of ticked her off. Hadn't he said that he would keep quiet? After she had tried to get him free too he was just going to go on and blow it? "I wasn't aware that he was still causing problems. It has been a while since we got in touch." she stated, her head facing down. 'I doubt Hestia and Itzal actually said something like that. Those bastards don't give a shit about anything but themselves.' Hidden shook her head. That wasn't the point. She lifted her head, training her purple eyes on the cloaked figure. "I'll figure out something. He's just down the wrong path or something... Something or someone that he cares about is just using him. It has gotta be like that." It was the only conclusion she could come up with. Like Domarus had pushed her down the wrong path. 

Mari then brought up that she hadn't seen any Adrians on the board Hidden frowned. "I don't know. I don't get to see the monument. I couldn't tell you if Adrian is his real username anyway. If its a young boy, then maybe he is just going by his real name. He wouldn't know not to." 

'Never heard of the laughing coffin' Itzal felt would be a bit of a stretch, and Mari stating that no one really knew about the guild nor cared about it made him shift his weight from one foot to the other. Everyone who wasn't living under a rock at least heard the rumors and stories of laughing coffin. Even if they weren't rumors or stories that sounded real, they would have at least heard the mention of the name. The guild had supposedly been 'inactive' for a very long time, and that was why they were slowly becoming rumors and legends. But he knew that that's exactly what the guild was hoping for. "Yes, and no." He told Mari before going into a bit more detail. "Most of the frontlines now consist of players who recently joined, not many veterans anymore. Those veterans have memories of the laughing coffin but haven't thought much about them because that guild is laying low. That isn't a good thing because the guild's intention is to let everyone forget about them. They're planning something big, so we need to stop them before they do so. Even if people don't know much about the laughing coffin, rumors and stories surrounding the name are enough to tell newcomers how dangerous they are." When she mentioned Opal he hesitated, a short moment of respectful silence, his face tilting downwards for a moment. Even though he didn't really know the woman very well, he remembered their talks. She was a nice person, and he had hoped to get to know her better... "Opal... Attempted to kill their leader, and died herself. She is one of the two who tried infiltrating from the inside and failed."

And then Mari went on to rant about the APD. He almost cracked a smile. Of course they'd lead the conversation there in no time at all. "I don't have any control over the APD. The only reason I work with them is that they keep the pkers I put away locked up. No other reason." He really had nothing more to say on the subject. If they hated the APD they needed to talk with Hestia, not Itzal. Although he could add that Mari not being active for an eternity while Hidden was a recent threat would make Mari more of a myth and nearly impossible to find or track down, and therefore making the situation seem a little more logical than before, he knew that neither of these two wanted to hear that. They would likely just bounce it black or argue with him further. They didn't need that waste of time. So he defused the topic by explaining the only benefit he received from them in working with them... And working 'with them' was a bit of a stretch since he'd been dumping pkers in there without asking since the beginning.

When Mari commented on how they weren't in a position to turn anyone away, Itzal's fist gripped the pommel of his sword which it had been resting on just a little tighter. "If you want proof of what she says, just look at Pinball."

And then Hidden commented on how she wasn't aware of what Adrian was doing, which made Itzal raise an eyebrow under the black mist. She wanted to help him and clear his name, but she couldn't keep an eye on him? She was making this a lot harder than she likely thought she was. When she looked directly at him and said she would figure something out however... "Whether he is being used or acting on his own isn't the issue Hidden. The issue is that right now he enjoys what he does, and he isn't stopping. Our primary task regarding the boy needs to be capturing him first, and helping him afterwards. Make no mistake, I wish to help the boy as well. But I will only do so after I've ensured he cannot harm nor kill anyone else first. The safety of everyone in aincrad comes first. Trust me, you don't want to have people's blood on your hands." He remembered how it changed Aereth.. He remembered how guilt had driven players to suicide. If he could help it he wouldn't let that happen to anyone else. "...As for his name, I don't believe Adrian is his username, though it is likely his real name. One of his kills states he died via suicide on the monument but an eye witness saw Adrian pin a player down and tortured his victim using words that cut to his memories and emotions and guilt, until the player finally committed suicide. Then Adrian sighed about that being 'too easy' and ran off."

@Mari

• 2 weeks later...

"Macradon has been a frontliner for a long, long time. And Shield has recently returned to them." Mari said to Hidden. "They're good people, and ones you'd probably wanna know if you wanted to get on the frontliners  good side. But - I'd spare that talk for later..." Mari didn't want the two to get distracted and go on a different tangent. She knew Hidden wanted to return to the frontlines, and despite Itzals protests on Pinball - Mari knew her words were true. The frontlines were truly not in a position to turn anyone away. Even if there were to be another...incident. "I know ..." Mari began slowly. "My words carry little weight - but with me there - I'll do my best to ensure there isn't another Zelrius incident. Even with Pinball around." Mari knew Pinball - and she knew this stranger - whoever he is. Would know what she was talking about.  Mari shifted her gaze to Hidden and offered her a wry smile. "That includes you- yanno. I'll drag ya back in line if I need to." It wouldn't have been the first time. Mari had to literally throw herself in the way of Hiddens last attempt to attack another player, and Mari felt she played a part in successfully diffusing the situation. Mari reached out and placed a reassuring hand on Hiddens shoulder, offering her a tight squeeze to show that the words were not intended to be a threat.

Are went on to talk about Adrian, trying to bring light to what may be the reason for him not properly appearing on the Monument. Made sense. Mari couldn't even fact check her information. So she went along with what the masked man said.

"And this is a child doing this?" Mari asked incredulously. Honestly...it all sounded a little hard to believe. Like, sure - Aincrad was filled with messed up people - but not that messed up. Wasn't there something in place to stop people like that from entering? Mari recalled having a background check for criminal records or something before joining. Then again...a child wouldn't have that big - if any - of a record. "Man...." She said with a sigh as she rubbed her forehead, pushing her hair up and out the way. "That's...a lot to take in. He talked someone into jumping? I dunno if I believe that one." 

The rumour mill in Aincrad was dangerous. Mari knew that first hand. So she would take what they were saying with a grain of salt. 

"Right. So to summarize -" Mari paused. They were kinda talking around in circles. How had the conversation shifted so drastically. "
We came here to look at a way to help Hidden - and came to the conclusion I already figured. The only way Hidden can help herself is through her actions. And what about this bounty? Don't you have any sorta power to poof it away since you're oh so chummy with Itzal and Hestia?  You know its hard enough to work toward redemption - even harder if you're being actively hunted. I should know. So..." Mari paused as she shifted from her standing position, turning on her heel to walk back toward the nearest tree. Mari then promptly sat herself on the ground. IF they were gonna be here a while she may as well get comfy.

"You both want to find this Adrian kid - and get him the help he needs. Hidden wants that bounty gone. See where I'm goin' with this?"  Mari honestly doubted a bounty would really have too many people after Hidden, after all - Mari didn't have one and was hunted, and when she did have one, it changed nothing. If anything she saw a decrease - but...not every situation was the same. And if it helped put Hidden's mind at ease, it was worth a shot in the dark.

@Hidden @Itzal

The discussions seemed to be coming to a close in a way that almost made the meeting be moot. Essentially, what she was getting was the message that they couldn't stop her from joining. They needed all the help they could get on the frontlines and couldn't turn her down. 'That is not very settling to know that they are just recruiting everyone. However... it does help me then.'

She found herself once again unnerved when Are mentioned that he only worked with the APD but wasn't a part of it. "Just gonna put it out there that when you keep saying that I just keep getting the feeling that that means that you do their work but aren't responsible for its shortcomings. Pretty... desirable position wouldn't you think?" She traced the side of her finger with her face.

She remained silent and let Mari finish smoothing things over. Time had made her tongue as sharp as a dagger. It seemed she knew exactly what words to bring to the table at an appropriate time. Hidden on the other hand, wasn't and also was prone to her temper. Are brought up the fact that Adrian had been seen talking a player into suicide. To that, Hidden raised and eyebrow and her concerns were expressed by Mari. "Spotted by a player convincing someone to kill themselves? He has a good vocabulary but talking doesn't make sense. Now if he were to throw a player off it'd make more sense." Hidden knew Adrian and she doubted he had that amount of convincing. 

As the discussion was practically brought to a close by Mari, Hidden brought up the last thing that had peaked her interest. "You mentioned you were there when Domarus was interrogated. Any idea where he vanished off to? I... I want to have a word with him." She glanced at Mari and nodded. "I don't want to hurt him, only to talk." 

"That's what being a Vigilante is Hidden. Once you're in the system those in control can change the rules. I however, act on morals, not fixed rules. Gives me room to handle 'gray area' situations where the law isn't as forgiving or understanding." It was true. Many times he felt like famous comic book characters like batman. Working with the authorities to locate, capture and imprison criminals and murderers. Although, he'd been doing most of the work as of late. "I never said it made sense," he responded to Hidden's comment on Adrian talking someone into suicide. "Besides we don't have enough details. It could be that he threatened, blackmailed, or simply scared him into the act. All we know is that he was the cause of his act of suicide, or at least the chances of it were very likely." He tapped his finger in thought however. Something was out of place that he hadn't revealed to them, but only because it was a baseless hunch. He had a quick and sharp tongue, but he was still wild and uncontrollable. He didn't seem like the mastermind type. Was he learning? If so did he find someone to teach him? "At any rate, if you give me a week I may be able to... Persuade, the APD into dropping your bounty. A few of them hate me, some of them fear me, and Hestia never cared for me, but she at least can be reasoned with.... When she wants to at least. Regarding the front lines, I'm afraid I can't put a good word in for you. No one there cares for me you see." He didn't help it any when he acted in the shadows half the time, and spoke his mind rather bluntly. In some cases however, he knew it was absolutely needed...

"...If you truly wish to only talk, then I'll set up a meeting between you two. However just as a precaution I'll be monitoring the meeting. People make mistakes when stressed, afraid or angry."

@Mari

Mari exhaled as she shut her eyes. Listening to Hidden describe smokey mask mans position, and how it was fairly desirable. Convenient. Mari had to agree. She opened one eye to glance at the figure. What did he call himself? Are? Right. Something didn't just sit well with her regarding him, but thus far he had been level headed and diplomatic - so Mari couldn't exactly cuss him out just because he gave her the heeby jeebies. Mari shrugged when Hidden said she only wanted to talk. "Hey, I get it. He's a frustratin' guy. Last I saw him he was hell bent on getting...ahh..." Mari paused. Her shoulders sagged. Esther.

Mari's voice softened. "Last time I spoke he was hell bent on getting a girl named Esther away from some shady people. Dunno what came of that though..." Mari felt a pang of guilt. She had kinda left Esther to her own devices, and the poor girl got mixed up in some dodgy sh*t. If Mari had been more attentive, and less focused on her own problems, maybe things would have been different. But...there was little use in dwelling on what-ifs. 

"Honestly. As someone who has to put up with sh*tty ass rumours I say, if you didn't see the kid do it. As in didn't see him physically push someone off the edge-" Mari emphasized. "Then don't buy into it. Let him fess up for himself.  If you're gonna be monitoring the meeting on Domarus' side - then ain't it only fair I join Hidden?" Mari offered. 

"That is, if she wants me there."

@Hidden  @Itzal

Hidden was almost tired of the question of Adrian. She understood that he wasn't on the best behavior, but she hadn't heard him mention anything. She had been told to lay low, so she assumed he would follow his own advice. Besides, once again the APD was just following rumors and whatnot. It was a biased organization and despite what Are said, she still believed that its true aim was just to benefit those within its ranks. The world was filled with corruption and Aincrad was no different. 

The conversation shifted to Domarus. A questioning look appeared on her face when Mari mentioned a girl named Esther. "Now that I remember it... I do remember him mentioning that name somewhere. If memory serves... I believe Esther was recovered. That was before I was around too much though. Afterwards, our group began to hunt those that affiliated themselves with that group. That was my first real mission under Domarus." 

Her eyes fell to the ground. The entire time she had worked with Domarus, she told herself and him that she was doing her own thing. She was there because it was beneficial to her. However, it was Domarus who had manipulated her to think she was getting what she wanted. It was him who put the idea of power into her head. Power hadn't been what she wanted....

"Monitor huh? Your vigilante work is odd. Figured you'd be off saving Gotham instead of watching over me like a teacher on a school field trip." Her words dripped with sarcasm. As Mari offered to come, Hidden would shake her head. "I've... already asked a bit much of you. I can't ask you to help solve every single one of my problems. Besides... I am only going to ask him why." She didn't elaborate further on that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to the two talk about someone named Esther wasn't familiar to him. He had not heard any mention of that name during his and Hestia's interrogation of Domarus. Her mentioning how it was the very first mission she and Aereth went on however, might be related to the organization Domarus had mentioned. According to him there was an organization made up of small groups who handled different areas. Some in drugs via alchemy, some in murder and burglary, and others in kidnapping. What was so interesting was when he gave the date and Itzal went over his notes for that year, not long after the incident the system pumped out another update which rendered any potion that manipulated, altered, or controlled the minds, actions, thoughts or intentions of players null and void. It made him wonder if what those players were doing was a red flag and not even Kayaba would let it stand in his game.

At Hidden's little batman pun, Itzal couldn't help but silently pray to God in thanks that he'd done at least some research into American culture to know what she was talking about and referencing. "Criminal activity has been slowing down as of late, at least in regards to quantity. I'm still waiting on some of my leads to yield results, so you could say I have a short time period before I need to return to my normal activities." After Hidden finished Itzal would wrap his end up as well. "It makes no difference to me whether Mari comes along as well or not. Tell me what day and time you wish to meet with Domarus and I'll send you his coordinates at the appropriate time. Is there anything else to be discussed?"

@Mari

• 2 weeks later...

"She was?" Mari asked. "That's....that's good." Mari still felt guilty about abandoning the whole thing. Domarus...and a boy named Lycan. They were both hell bent on bringing her back. Mari wondered if anything became of that awkward love triangle that seemed to be going on. "Good. That group was trash. I ...." Mari clenched her jaw and shut her eyes. "I shoulda done something." But she didn't.

She would now though. "You're not asking." Mari informed Hidden. "I'm offering. I wanna be there for you - and truth be told. I'm curious how he's doing. So, I kinda got my own motivation for going to see him." Mari pushed herself off the ground, dusting the debris from herself. It seemed like this meeting was coming to a close. "But if you don't want me there, I respect that - just know the offers there, and it's really no skin off my bones."

Mari couldn't help but snort, followed by a short loud laugh at Hidden's comment. "Batman- she calls him." Mari added in an amused tone, she could see it. She waved off her outburst. "Sorrry I just..." Mari gestured to him, "You gotta see the resemblance there, dude. But - I'm good if Hidden's good."

@Itzal @Hidden

• 2 weeks later...

"You're not asking."

Hidden almost flinched at these words. The fact that there were people willing to help without asking anything in return baffled her. She couldn't judge the greedy too much because she had the same outlook of the world. Do nothing unless there is something to gain. Of course she had her own motivations, but she was going there for her. It was all she could do to prevent a tear from streaming down her face. She didn't dare show Are her weakness. Listening to Are's words and accepting Mari's offer in one sentence she would say, 

"That about wraps it up I suppose. We'll plan to meet you whenever that bounty vanishes from the boards." 

She turned toward the entrance that they had made their way in. She paused as she reached the entrance however. There she would say the next words in a cold manner as she raised back up her guard. "Don't even try and think to stage an ambush. Try and touch me after we've called a truce or whatever and I'll make you regret it." 

She moved forward, exiting the thick woods and back into the fields of the first floor where she would await Mari to follow. 

@Itzal

Remaining silent at Hidden's remark towards him before turning away and leaving, as he really had no need to respond to that, he waited until she was out of earshot before speaking to Mari. "I'm glad she has you. From what I've heard of her, she's had quite the hard time. She could use a good person as a friend. One she doesn't have to be concerned around." Aldion ruffled his feathers before hopping onto Itzal's shoulders, and he stroked the familiar's head and spine, scratching between the shoulders with each stroke. The black raven familiar really enjoyed the feeling too, closing his eyes in contentment. "Hopefully, she'll be able to open up to others. It is a pleasant surprise to discover she wishes to be better. Thank you for helping her. I'll see what I can do about her bounty, but it may take some time." He paused and looked back at Mari. "If you need to contact me, just contact Zandra. She's my intermediate at the present moment. If there's anything either of you need, just let me know."

@Mari

"I doubt he'd get too far with an ambush-" Mari began, but stopped herself. Hidden needed this. Needed to make herself clear and assert herself. So instead of interjecting Mari simply stood just behind the young white haired girl. Strikingly blue gaze focused on the shadowy figure before her. Not exactly menacing, but - the stance proved an unspoken point. Mess with Hidden, and Mari would be there too.

Ares then had some words to say to Mari - privately. Mari wasn't sure how she felt about his words. She needs a good person as a friend.  Then - that person really shouldn't be Mari. Mass murderers did not exactly scream 'good friends' but she had to agree on one thing - it was nice to see Hidden opening up and wanting to improve herself. Those first few steps were always the hardest. Mari didn't respond to the man with words, but a mere shrug of her shoulders as she turned from him.

"-That about wraps it up I suppose."
           "
If there's anything either of you need, just let me know."

Those were the parting words. Ares, or Batman or whoever he decided he was would go one way. Mari and Hidden, the other way. Mari felt a little bothered by the fact that she'd have to go through Zandra of all people to find him.  Didn't Zandra hate Mari? Or at the very least, fear her? That'd make things difficult. Still. Mari shifted her gaze to Hidden.  Mari would do it. For Hidden.  And, partly for herself.

Just how was Domarus these days?