[F01-PP] <<Secret Medicine Of The Forest>> For the love of SP

"You've mentioned wanting to become a treasure hunter, I think.  If that's the case, get yourself a treasure hunting familiar.  It's actually a thing.  If you're heart's set on that kind of build, you can count on me to clear a path for you wherever you need.  It sounds like you have Firm Anima to rely on as well."  He paused, as if coming so some kind of epiphany.  "Actually, Kil, you're in a pretty sweet spot right now.  I'll rummage through my storage later.  I might have a piece or two of gear that could help you out.  Just send me your finds, and I'll ID them for you.  I need the practice."

Persi started purring gently. 

"Ummm... we could be here awhile."  He rubbed what looked like the back of her neck as she rested.  How could he even tell where it was.  Other than a vague silhouette in the middle of eerie wisps of darkness, all you could see were her eyes.

He looked over at him while he talked. Upon hearing the invitation of trading, he decided now was a good time to be friends. He sent the man a friend request while sending his ID at the same time. He leaned back and cracked his neck. "Don't worry about it too much but if its a token of friendship, I won't decline." He looked around for Persi and did not spot her. "I think that would be wise since I want to do the treasure hunting gig. It'll be good for me to get that as high as possible. That way we have a versatile guild group. I really want to be useful to everyone." He stood up and dusted off his clothing and extended his hand over to Freyd."You ready for another go at this?" He had hoped they could last a little while longer but they were dangerously close to not having much energy. It would be foolish of them.

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

To be useful.  That's a noble goal.  I'd like that too.

"Take it easy, for a second, you're going to strip a gear or something."  Freyd stifled a laugh. "Mobs around here don't aggro on their own.  We can take our time to trigger them as we need.  Besides, you'll wake Persi."  She purred and nestled herself deeper.  Freyd's face turned into a grimace as she dug her claws in, probably as retribution for getting dragged into their discussion during her precious sun-soaked nap time.

"I'm all for getting to the front, but don't kill yourself in the rush to get there.  We have time."  He prodded Persi gently.  She opened on glaring eye at him with a distinctively 'how dare you' look about her.  "Come on, lazy.  You're holding up Kiluia's epic destiny.  Get a move on."

When she finally let him up, Freyd made sure he accepted the friend request.

He stood there and stretched since they had time. Kiluia was known for being too gungho at times so he needed an anchor that helped him keep himself occupied long enough for them to let their energy rest. He smiled as he spoke to his familiar. Soon he would be able to do the same. The thought of a familiar finding treasure seemed fun perhaps he would research what other ways he could use the familiar before making a final decision. "Nah, Persi. I'm just fine. Take all the time you need." He cheerfully smiled and waited for them to regain their energy. He didn't want to trigger the next set of stupid creatures. The quest was already taxing enough with the stupid drop not coming to them and plus he really didn't wanna lose dinner. 

"I don't know what else drops here but here is to hoping we end this with the next round or two. " He optimistically spoke.

"We will," Freyd said, reassuring him.  While not the most emotive companion one might choose, Freyd excelled at keeping a cool head.  His father once described him as having the world's longest fuse, but advised to stand well clear whenever it finally burned down and exploded.  He could count on one hand the number of times that had happened.  They were all indescribably bad, emotionally scarring occasions - physically, in some cases, for those in the splash zone.

Persi batted his hand away playfully.  If it couldn't be nap time, then it had to be play time.  Freyd just smiled a little smile and kept poking at her.  

"Were you a member of Firm Anima before, or did you recently join?  Raidou seemed familiar with you, so I assumed that you already knew each other."  Persi's instincts kicked in and the next thing he knew, Freyd's hand had been pinned down and converted into a serious chew toy.  

"Hey!  Owww.   Quit it!"  The pain suppressors kept it from hurting, but reflex suggested that it still should.

He looked up at the sky for a moment thinking about how to answer his question. "I think the best way to answer that is that I have known Raidou for quite some time. I'm one of the oldest members." He would look down at him before glancing at his recovered energy.  "However, due to some circumstances, it took me a long time to come back to the guild. I don't have really much memory of what happened the past few years but I know that a lot has happened. I kinda owe it to him that he was able to still teach the ropes. " He didn't want to confuse the guy. Maybe he could inform him more during dinner. He rotated his shoulder cuff and cracked his neck. "What about you? Have you known Raidou long? What are your future plans? " He inquired. Of course would lead to different conversations later down the road but it was a nice break. He pulled his dagger back out as he awaited for the next round of incoming nepents.  

"No, I only just met him the other day while we were out with him and Eruda. He had a look about him, like he'd been around for awhile.  Seems like I was right."  He finally shook Persi free.  She landed on all fours, of course, and hopped away playfully as if nothing had happened.  Freyd stood and dusted himself off.

"I'm just trying to make up for lost time, I guess.  Not really sure where that will lead me, except to the front lines."  His brow furrowed as he said it.  He'd been so focused on organizing and progressing that he hadn't really clearly defined his goal, at least not explicitly.  "I want to help us all get out of here, losing as few souls as we possibly can.  And I want to help those like myself who might lose their way in the time it takes to get there."  He could have been referring to Kil, he realize as he spoke.  Freyd broke off the discussion by suddenly charging at another nearby group of nepents, annihilating them in an instant.

"You're up," he added, pointing with his blade towards another spawning variant.  "Make it happen."

Spoiler

image.png.e47271d651cee64bfb9e2b44ab6bf0b8.png

[-] Freyd | HP:420/420 | EN: 33/42 (-9) | DMG:9 | MIT:14 | ACC:2 | SAVVY:1 | HLY:2 | KEEN:1 | BLD:12  -> rested

Nepent #1 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #2 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #3 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Nepent #4 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Kil looked at the Variant and said a slight prayer. He dashed forward with his dagger glowing a radiant purple. He slipped behind the creature and slammed the tip of the dagger in the back of the neck. He preferred to attack the neck as it was almost instant death. In this case, the death were rapid succession of him threading the neck apart several times. The creature shattered into a pile of crystals but a grin spread across his face as he held the item they needed to get this area cleared. "It looks like you owe me some grub man. " He laughed as he walked over and placed it into the hands of Freyd. "And I'm glad to get to know you better. " He patted the man on the back and laughed once more being tired still.

Spoiler

image.png.b0267d2abb58cb0ff2a97496142a849b.png

Nepent Variant | HP: 0/15 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

Kiluia Seiko | HP:280/280 | EN:22/28 | DMG:6 | MIT:18 | EVA:1 | ACC:2 | BLD:12 

image.png.442a77ff5a6dbbf9209d93b3c65dbbdc.png

Loot Acquired +3 to Loot Total 16 on roll. 

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

"As am I," Freyd replied, smiling.  Well done, Kil.

The two men walked back to town and turned in the quest.  Another task was crossed off of Freyd's list, but he felt a greater sense of accomplishment.  Kil had reminded him of his purpose for fighting - not just to get stronger, but to help others do so.  They would need each other to survive Aincrad's many remaining challenges.  Freyd accepted that he would need to rely on others, rather than seeking to carry everything upon himself. 

Dinner was as grandiose as the local restaurants could provide, served across seven courses each heavily laden and delectable. It kept them chatting well into the evening, sharing tales of past victories and follies alike.   Freyd paid, gladly, as promised by the terms of their wager.   The sun was low on the horizon when the time came to part.  Both agreed that they would meet and work together again soon.