[F21 - PP] Cat eyes looking for «The Hidden Village»

She stood there, after already having filled the recipient's name, all she had to do is to add the message and a title, if you felt like it. Yet Ariel couldn’t find the words to fill in the blank space. She knew the topic: her intention of inviting Mari to do a quest with her on the 21st floor. Maybe she couldn’t write anything because the blonde had a more personal reason for meeting her, the quest being just a means… an excuse to get them to work together towards a common purpose.

While she was in solitude on the floor just above this one, she was reflecting over her past actions and her interactions with the former pinkette weren’t… the most friendly. Recent random encounters with her, during her impromptu visit at Baldur’s home or at the raid meeting, made the blonde consider reaching out and trying to mend the type of relation they had. She wasn’t expecting them to become friends but she wanted at least to disperse the weird atmosphere she felt when the two would meet; even if it was something one-sided.

With a sharp intake of fresh air and a long exhale she began tipping: ‘Hello Mari, I hope this message finds you in good health’ she deleted the last part with a small frown, “too tradicional...” she muttered as she continued typing: ‘I’ve got my hands on information regarding a well rewarded quest and I’d like to ask if you want to help me complete it.’ She nodded, thinking that despite the few words she got the intention across. ‘I’ll be in Tomoika to pick it up from the local NPCs. - Ariel’.

Signing it off, she picked up the cup of tea from the table and read it once more. Thinking of nothing more to add, she pressed ‘sent’ and looked out the window. The sakura trees surrounding the valley were almost in bloom; she’ll have to start planning for that particular ‘event’ later. For now she grabbed her cloak, checked her inventory and walked out of new household on the 22nd floor, silently waving on her way out at the crimson haired maid and her brother; that were busy setting up their new accommodations.

Spoiler

Stats:

• 1,590 HP (78 x20 +30[athletics])
  • 156 Energy
  • 79 Mitigation (25 +54[armor])
  • +4 Accuracy (1[precision] +1[weapon] +2[trinket])
  • 23 Base Damage (1[base] +7[weapon skill] +1[athletics] +9[familiar] +1[ferocity] +4[drink])
  • +4 Fallen Damage (Successful BD: 6-8 (before modifiers) add fallen damage to your total base damage.)
  • +48 HP Holy Blessing (After taking damage, heal HP at the beginning of your next turn. Can only trigger once per round.)
  • +79 HP Battle Healing (While in combat, recover 5% of your maximum HP (rounded down) at the beginning of your turn.)
  • +238 HP Vamp. (Off.) (On a nat. 9-10 BD heals 15% Max HP. This effect can only occur once per attack.)
  • +5 LD +3 LD more when searching for sub-dungeons: 15 posts CD and labyrinths3 posts CD)
  • Absolute Accuracy (Attack rolls of 1 no longer automatically miss. Gain +1 to the BD when attacking. Cannot be used to trigger a critical hit.)
  • Keen (After a successful attack, gain +1 BD until your next successful attack, at which point this bonus is removed. Another successful attack will reactivate this)
  • Taunt +1 Hate generated from Howl, Focused Howl, and successful attacks.)
  • Recovery (Regain 3 additional energy on natural CD rolls of 6+.)

Skills: Pic at 510x450 Downscaled to 385, right side alignment

Equipment: ecc6094aeb2e7c21bd620127992da9c7.png

≪Shi’s Talon# 134787≫ ≪Leonidas' Strength#151568≫ ≪Finger Claw Filigree# 151884-1≫
T2: AA | Keen | Fallen T3: Holy Blessing | Holy Blessing | Mit. | Mit. T1: Accuracy | Accuracy | Taunt
A long two handed assault spear made of polished maple. Its tip is a brilliant golden colour and is surrounded by tufts of white feathers.
A blood red cape with a black inverted V design in the middle of the back, if worn as light armor; one of the trademark items worn by the Spartans that fought until the last man.
An intricate golden chassis to be wrapped around one's finger. It's incredible sturdy, sharp and shiny, capable of aggravating enemies with a well-placed redirection of light.

Inventory:  

• ≪Teleport [Crystal]≫
  • ≪[T3] Blank Dungeon Map≫
  • Spoiler
    ≪Rho Aias#156757≫
    T3: Taunt | Mitigation | Recovery (Shield)
    An ebony saya with a crimson cord wrapped around the top, made of a mysterious, highly durable material. The scabbard is more than capable to withstand blows, deflect attacks. Its regenerative properties emit a soft green glow when procced. To uphold the legacy of its name, the sheath was forged with the intent to help capable users protect themselves; instead of their blade.
  • Spoiler
    ≪Mothbrand#156715≫
    T3: Vampiric (Off) | Vampiric (Off) | Accuracy | Accuracy (1HSS)
    An antenna taken from Mothra's corpse, sharpened that could be used as a weapon.The grip is orange and yellow-like colored while the blade itself is blood red with orange runes in the middle.
  • Spoiler
    ≪Darkened Blade#134786≫
    T2: Accuracy | Fallen | Fallen (2HAS)
    A 3 meter long (~10 feet) spear that is entirely died in obsidian black. Below the spearhead, a banner hangs freely. Its background is colored in a dark blue with a white lion's head wearing a crown, in the middle.
  • Empty 
  • Empty 

Buffs:

• +4 DMG: "Filling" -> Liquor of Light#151942 [Drink]
  • "Skylight (Familiar Mastery: Fighter II -> III)"
  • -1 EN [3/3]: "Rested"
  • -25% DoT [1/1]: "Clean"
  • +60 HP OOC: Survival +"Relaxed" 
  • +1 LD/SR/SD/Prosperity [1/1]: "Multipurpose"
  • +1 BRI slot: Dimensional Backpack
  • +1 BRI slot: "Item Stash"
  • +2 SP: "Advanced Training"   
Edited by Ariel - The Crowned Lion

Mari's messages were always rather brief - she didn't like rambling and she didn't really like messaging. Maybe part of it was because so often they would go unanswered. Maybe another - was that she simply didn't feel the need to type an entire story into a text. Those sort of messages, those personal and meaningful messages were reserved for a select few.

Hey,
Okay. I'll meet you outside the safe zone by Tomika.

xx

Mari.

Mari sighed, having replied only after arriving on the 21st floor - luckily. Hopefully Ariel wasn't left waiting for too long. Mari was visiting Baldur's estate, so the travel down to Floor 21 was short. Mari found a large, somewhat smooth rock and sat herself down. Rubbing her legs. Even in the digital world she felt the ache of her leg muscles.  Maybe it was psychological. Maybe it was programmed in. It didn't really matter to the ginger haired woman. 

"Wonder why she wants to see me..." Mari mumbled to herself, pausing in her action. Wasn't it odd? Her and Ariel never exactly saw eye to eye. Mari didn't blame Ariel for that. How could she? Mari had killed 8 people. Her reputation was... terrible. The rumours that Zandra so readily believed. Who was to say that others had heard those same ones and taken them as truth? Mari bought her legs up so she could cross her legs. Cold fingers thrummed against her bare knees. Is she going to ask a bunch of questions? 

Mari sucked her lip in, she was so tired of those questions - but she'd be amiss if she didn't answer them. Or did Ariel want to imprison Mari? Much like Bahr...no...Ariel hadn't shown any indication of that. Mari felt her nerves spin in the pit of her gut as she went through scenario after scenario. 

@Ariel - The Crowned Lion

"Yes I'll look for them, yes... yes... yes..." kept repeating the blonde as the NPC townspeople with golden marks (!) above their head kept giving her the quest starting details again and again, no matter how many she meet. At some point she broke into a light sprint, gradually making full use of the mod with the same name and ending up using her charge skill; just to get away from the almost fanatic NPCs. For a second she thought about culling the mob behind her just to blow off some steam but the change in cursor would interfere with her future plans, so she graciously decided to lose them instead using her inhuman speed.

"No wonder people left this crazy town and made a hidden village. If this is what they had to go through every... Mari!" After escaping the mob, the blonde read Mari's reply and was heading towards the exit. She kept paranoidly looking over her shoulder and shook her head while having that little monologue; which she cut off as she exited the town, recognizing the woman taking a rest over a stone. She waved above her head as she drew closer unarmed, with her red cloak billowing behind her. "I'm glad you could make it!" she said with a smile.

The blonde's breath visibly rugged from all the running she did up 'til now. Ariel bent over forwards with her hands on top of her kees, raising her index finger and silently requesting a moment. Then she took several long breaths and exhales to calm down her digital heart who she felt pumping like crazy. Gaining her composure a little, she started fiddling with her HUD, sending Mari a party request and a note with the initial quest details she obnoxiously kept being reminded by almost every NPC she'd meet in town. "You know, by the way those townspeople act, I don't blame the ones who ran away. I kind of get how they felt after spending only five minutes in town." she casually added between huffs and puffs; her breathing slowly normalizing again.

Ariel | HP:1590/1590 | EN:156/156 | DMG:23(+4) | MIT:79 | ACC:4(5) | AA | HB:48 | LD:5 | BH:79

Mari blinked as Ariel approached, breathing heavily. Why was she- Before Mari really had a chance to question her Ariel managed to explain herself somewhat. "You uh...really didn't have to run." Mari said as she pushed herself off the rock, sliding down to the ground with a small 'hup'   Mari patted down her clothing, removing any loose particles of dirt or dust. Ariel, at least the Ariel Mari had seen recently had always held herself with an air of dignity and poise. Mari in comparison was a potato. A very orange, very sour potato.

"Err..." Mari glanced behind Ariel - there wasn't anything behind her. "Is...everything okay?" Mari asked, concern touching her tone of voice. The question of why Ariel wanted Mari to join her still lingered , but Mari felt it'd be rude to ask right now.

Instead, Mari accepted the party invite from Ariel. Her eyes gleaming over the information that had been given to her. "So...we're looking for a literal Hidden Village.... Mmmmm..."  Mari rubbed her arm. "Is it okay to take me on something like this?" Mari asked. "I mean - orange cursors and villages don't exactly mix too well."

"Believe it or not, running was the best out of the two outcomes I had in mind!" she said with a nervous laugh, taking one last inhale and after letting it out gradually she seemed to calmed down. She started nodding repeatedly: "That's what they kept telling me, again and again. One broke the pattern and said 'We must save my family!'" she raised her voice at end end, trying her best to reproduce the urgent and somehow comedic tone the boy had. Shaking her head, she continued: "When I asked why would the villagers leave, all of them went silent. That only lasted for a moment though, until one of them felt the need to reiterate the quest details and the rest soon followed suit. Man they were so annoying." she ended up with her hands crossed and slightly shaking her head dismissively with a slightly annoyed expression.

Prompted by her last question, the blonde opened her eyes and all the frustration from before disappeared, sign that it was only superficial. She eyed the crystal and them looked her in the eyes, alternating once more in silence before slightly tilting her head. She didn't think about that... Ariel closer her own silver colored eyes and thought for a few moments then opened them up, her whole expression seemed to have brightened up as she delivered the next line: "It says we have to just find it right? we don't technically need to go inside the village. Do we?" she knew it was kind of a stretch, her expression reflecting her thoughts as a mirror.

Mari gave an amused snort, raising a hand to cover her faux paux. "That...sounds kinda frustrating." Mari sympathized. "But..." Her voice trailed off as her eyes shifted to focus on the horizon behind Ariel, a soft sigh fell from her pursed lips. "But...I kinda miss stuff like that." Mari admitted quietly. "Crowds, people - even if they are NPCs that are relentlessly hounding you for a quest. That's the sorta stuff that you hate - but...it's isolating not experiencing that."

Mari shook her head. It was no use getting all melodramatic now. That was not the point of this meeting. Although, I still am not entirely sure on what the point is.  Mari cleared her throat. "But - as sad as those thoughts are." She said, perking up. "It's humbling to know that I still have people around me I can trust and rely on. So long as I have those, I don't need any bumbling NPCs."  

Mari returned Ariel's smile with a small one of her own. "Well, you are the party leader - so you'd know more than I." Mari said as she placed her hands on her hips. "I'm just here following you today. Honestly, as long as I'm not being chased by guards, or scaring players and NPC villagers I think I'll be okay." The question plaguing Mari would wait, Mari would find a right time to ask. Right now...there was only one question that needed to be said.

"Where to?"

She eyed the orange haired player, learning a little more of the detriments and frustrations of an orange player, thing that she never really put too much thought into. She found her confession a little enlightening but decided to simply nod in acknowledgement, her arms still crossed. When prompted about their course of action, Ariel opened her wide and surveyed the area. With a confident smirk, she made use of her newly aquired 'tracking' mod, her eyes gaining a soft hue as she scanned the place around for any kind of signs that she wouldn't notice without the mod. After scouting the 24th labyrinth, she deemed this as a essential mod to have in her kit for future expeditions of that nature.

"There." she muttered after a few second, pointing at a nearby downhill towards an inconspicuous cave, like the rest of them on this floor. "There are different sized footprints leading that way. Looks like a good place to start as any." Wanting to keep the conversation flowing, she settled to broach something she picked up earlier. "When Crow first mentioned you when talking about Jacob's Ladder, I was a little surprised to hear it. Even so, all the people I meet at Baldur's place during my visit seem like a pleasant company to have around. I'm kind of jealous of what he achieved." she said with a smile, adding. "He always had a good eye for people since I first meet him."

"Y-yeh. It was unexpected." Mari admitted. "I mean...I've run a guild before - with the Cerulean Silence and everything but...I dunno." Mari sighed. "When Shield approached me asking if I wanted to be one of the Guild Leaders-  I had my reservations I mean..." Mari shifted her gaze to Ariel. "I don't want my leadership or presence to be a detriment to those around me, yanno?" Mari rubbed her arm as they walked to their destination. "I mean - I'd rather take a step back from it all and have it flourish, than have it fall with me at the helm." Mari offered Ariel a wry smile. "Ahh, but if Shield heard me talking like that he'd probably slap me across the head or somethin' " Mari added with a nervous laugh. "He'd tell me half those people are there because of me - but..."

Mari fell silent for a moment. "But...Seeing them all there, conversing among themselves. Laughing, eating..."  I don't deserve that.   Instead of voicing what she really felt Mari simply said. "It's...really nice - to be around people like that again."  Her smile softened when Ariel mentioned Baldur. "He...has a way to make anyone feel welcomed and safe. It's like his presence makes all those bad voices, the hurtful self doubting ones disappear. If even for a moment."   Those were the words that clued Shield into how Mari had felt about Baldur, so Mari knew it was a little dicey to just outright say them to Ariel. But - It's not like Ariel knew Mari all that well. So the ginger haired woman doubted Ariel would gleam any other information from that. 'Sides. Nothing would ever happen. Mari and Baldur - they were friends, nothing more. 

"So - he's definitely a good fit for a guild leader." 

• 2 weeks later...

As they slowly but surely made their way through the cave, the blonde kept a keen eye on their surrounding while lending an ear to Mari's words. "Despite all that, you didn't say no to wanting to be a leader... a pillar, right?" she pointed out, remembering how Crow said she was one of the four with the executive decisions right within the guild. The blonde then slightly raised her eyebrow at Shield's supposed reaction, that part not clicking with her vision of him. But then again, she didn't know him personally outside meetings and event fights/raids, only having meet him once when he was an aspiring tank alongside Beat, a long time ago.

With Baldur however, it was another story. Considering him one of the few remaining friends she could count on he fingers from one hand, she would nod in agreement with her statement; albeit for a different reason than what Mari meant. "He has that serene air around him, doesn't he? I'll need to find him a new title... now that he has found a purpose, I can't call him a ronin anymore." she said with a hearty laugh, remembering the obi she gifted him alongside that name... it was time to make a new piece now that he found himself a purpose. "Overall it seems like a good guild, I can't wait to see if it passes the test of time." she added, with half of a smile. The blonde had a memento which she would use once in a while in form of a cloak branded with all her previous guild logos on the back. Five of them, all crossed off in red; disbanded due to various circumstances, she honestly hoped this one wouldn't... the frontlines needed stable pilons to gravitate around.

"You're right. I agreed." Mari said quietly. "I wanted to make a difference. To do something useful and productive - and to start making up for well..." Mari rolled her hand, trying to find the right words. "Atone....for what ...." She fell silent. For what she'd done. For the lives she took. Mari didn't have to say it. Not when it was such a wide known fact.  It was  a shame though...rarely anyone knew the reasons. Only Beat and Shield had asked - and Oikawa- had a quiet understanding. Mari dew in a deep breath and straightened her shoulders, it was no use letting it get to her now.

Mari turned to Ariel with a small grin. "I unno - I've just been callin' him a gaijin Samurai. That kinda works. Or...mmmm..." Mari thought aloud. "Serene Samurai maybe? I'm sure you'll think of something. I always see titles as something that just kinda...occur naturally. We don't get to pick the ones given to us." Mari kicked at the ground. "I know I certainly didn't want nor pick the title  'Pink Pker'  

Mari shifted her gaze to the route ahead. "How far off do you think this Hidden place is?"

• 2 months later...

Her eyes trailed at the other player's figure: "No need to say more, we each have our own cross to bear." she replied with a faint smile, her gestures giving the impression that there was more to her reply than just a response to Mari's words. The conversation moved towards Baldur and the mood seemed to lighten up: "Hmm I'm not sure... I'm aiming towards something more... traditional!" ending that sentence with a elongated sigh, she started tapping on her weapon after manifesting it. Something piqued her attention, a sound in the distance which made the blonde instinctively summon her white feathered two handed assault spear.

Squinting her eyes, she looked in the same direction as Mari, coincidentally it was the same direction she picked up the sound from. "I think we're close." she added with a twirl of her weapon. Looks like they've encountered some of the cave's residents and they didn't seem that welcoming to outsiders.

• 2 weeks later...

Mari raised her eyebrows at Ariels enigmatic words. Right. Wouldn't it be easier just to be straight? Still - Mari was in no place to question Ariel nor her motives. After some time with Shield Mari realized that Ariel wasn't the 'pure heroic type' Mari once thought her to be. So the whole 'we have our own crosses to bear' thing made sense. As to what it alleviated to though, Mari had no clue. Nor was she going to ask. That business was between Ariel and Shield after all. "So - did you ever get given some crazy ass title?" Mari inquired.

Luckily the conversation shifted as Ariel pulled out her weapon. Saying they were close. "Good." Mari said, a little relieved that whatever may come would distract the two of them. "I'm not entirely sure on the full details of this quest- so you're in the lead for this one." Mari said as she let her own weapon materialize. A Tall mahogany spear with a tip that resembled a hypodermic needle- a gift from Shield. 

• 2 weeks later...

The tunnels of the twenty-first floor were proving too much for the girl to handle. Assassin rushed through, trying to remember they way back to the safe zone. After having killed the The Colossus with Hidden and taking down the Absolute Zero with Alkor, she felt as though she could take on anything now. That clearly wasn't the case with her at half her health points and a trail of angry bats behind her. If wasn't for the fact that she was so light and nimble, she would surely be dead.

Rounding the corner, she could see two specks of people in the distance. Floating cursors signified other players, one orange, one green. As prideful as the child could be in controllable situations, she couldn't help but let that slip when death was crawling on her back. "Help! I need he-" Assassin paused in her words as she noticed the familiar sillhoutte of an important person: Ariel. That's when her screaming got even more fierce and worried. "NEE-SAN-- HELP ME!!!" She cried out to Ariel, approaching her with bats on her trail. Tears dripped down her cheek, but tears of joy at least. Joy of seeing a familiar face in this horrifying situation.

Spoiler

Name: Assassin
Level: 31
HP: 620/620
EN: 62/62

Stats:
Damage: 12
Mitigation: 30
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 2
PARA VEN
PHASE
BLD: 12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Shadow's Infection: Bld; Para V.; Phase
Armor: Dark Cloak(LA): MIT II; EVA I
Misc: Fastening Belts(Tri): ACC II; EVA I

Skills:
Dagger [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 3]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter
Survival

Mods:

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleportation Crystal*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.

• 1 month later...

A cry of help was aimed at the two and though she never heard that desperate tone before, she instantly recognize the owner. Something inside the blonde snapped as she saw Assassin's distressed appearance. She closed the distance between them in a instant, leaving a small red blur behind and affectionately guided the small girl behind her as she pointed her spear towards her pursuers. A few questions went through her mind but she decided to postpone them until after they finished dealing with the humanoid bats. It seems the addition of a couple more humans was enough to put their chase to a halt as they started studying the new potential prey via short high frequency clicking and screeches.
"Everything is ok now Sin-chan." muttered the blonde with confidence as she tried to calm her down "take time to recover while we deal with these bullies."

She then slightly turned towards Mari and with a light nod, she marked the bats as their targets. Her expression was not one of somehow comfort knowing that the child was safe but hinting towards a inner churning that she wanted to painfully release upon the mobs. After receiving some sort of confirmation from them, she would stroke Assassin's head one last time before letting go and charging forwards with beast-like ferociousness. Dark flames emate from her weapon and passed onto her prey as she ruthlessly cleaved through the first four bats that were unfortunate enough to meet her weapon's path. It was pretty clear that she wasn't going to hold back this fight.

Ariel activates Weeping Moon!

Spoiler

Concentration: +1 ACC
Charge: +5 DMG/-1 ACC

ID# 179548  BD: 6 (4+4-2, Hit!) | x9*(23+5) =252 -75 =177 DMG > Bat#1
ID# 179549  BD: 9 (Crit. Hit! ) | x9*(23+5+1) =261 -75 =186 DMG > Bat#2
ID# 179550  BD: 8 (6+4-2, FLN proc. Hit!) | x9*(23+5+4) =288 -75 =213 DMG > Bat#3
ID# 179551  BD: 10 (Crit. Hit!) | x9*(23+5+2) =270 -75 =195 DMG > Bat#4

Keen proc. : +1 ACC=> ACC: 5
SA: -13 EN

[2/3/2/3/0/0] Ariel | HP:1590/1590 | EN:143/156 | DMG:23 | MIT:79 | ACC:4(5) | AA | FLN:+4 | KEEN:1 | LD:5 | HB:48  | BH:79 | Taunt | -1 EN [2/3] JtjLRGv.jpg?1
[0/0/0/0/0/0] Mari | ???
[0/0/0/0/0/0] Sin | HP:620/620 | EN:62/62 | DMG:12 | MIT:30 | ACC:2 | EVA:2 | PARA VEN (OFF) | PHASE | BLD: 12

<<Cave Bat#1>> | HP:823/1000 | MIT:75 | EVA:2 | ACC:1 | DMG: 175 ([225/275] + Paralyze)
<<Cave Bat#2>> | HP:814/1000 | MIT:75 | EVA:2 | ACC:1 | DMG: 175 ([225/275] + Paralyze)
<<Cave Bat#3>> | HP:787/1000 | MIT:75 | EVA:2 | ACC:1 | DMG: 175 ([225/275] + Paralyze)
<<Cave Bat#4>> | HP:805/1000 | MIT:75 | EVA:2 | ACC:1 | DMG: 175 ([225/275] + Paralyze)
<<Cave Bat#5>> | HP:1000/1000 | MIT:75 | EVA:2 | ACC:1 | DMG: 175 ([225/275] + Paralyze)
<<Cave Bat#6>> | HP:1000/1000 | MIT:75 | EVA:2 | ACC:1 | DMG: 175 ([225/275] + Paralyze)