[F02-PP] <<Long Live the Queen>>

Scanning the quest boards confirmed what Freyd already suspected: there weren't many early quests left to complete on his checklist.  A relatively easy bounty for a wasp field boss remained outstanding.  Having recently joined the ranks of Firm Anima, he felt compelled to contribute by offering to bring along any other guild members this might also benefit.  A quick guild-wide invite was dispatched to determine whether there was any interest.

Urbus was a relatively benign city, too similar to the first floor for him to pay it much attention.  Freyd occupied his time checking the fit of his new gear.  Gone was the priest's cassock.  Thank goodness.  He was getting tired of the looks.  This new skirmisher's garb offered far better protection and more practical range of movement for travel and battle.  The black colouring and cowl were a little cliche, but offered equal benefits when traveling in darkness - which he found himself doing more and more often.  Maybe he'd become accustomed to the colour wearing the cassock.  Whatever.  It also suited Persi, his shadowy familiar, who loved to conceal herself on or even within his clothing.  Her semi-corporeal nature made it easy and convenient, and having a bolt of angry feline shadow burst from your chest at just the right moment could always add the perfect dramatic flair.  Most of him was covered now, save his plain face with its typically neutral expression and naive brown eyes.  Tufts of unruly brown hair still poked out from beneath his hood, no matter how long or hard he worked at it.  Sigh.

Performing his morning coffee ritual, he sat and waited by the central plaza and its quest boards to see who would show up.  Persi was playing in nearby back alleys, decimating the local rodent population for breakfast.

@Eruda @Haine

Spoiler

Name: Freyd
Level: 28
HP: 560/560
EN: 56/56

Stats:
Damage: 14
Mitigation: 41
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 3
KEEN:1
HLY:2
BLD:12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Forgiven Disobedience (T1-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T2-LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival

Mods: n/a

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs: n/a

Scents of the Wild: n/a

Wedding Ring: n/a

Spoiler

Name: Haine
Level: 46
HP: 920
EN: 92

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 12
Accuracy: 1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: 2H AS Paralyze II
Armor: Tier 1 light armor [Vanity]
Misc:

Skills:
Two Handed Assault Spear [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 3]

Extra Skills: Fishing

Mods:
Finesse Rank 3
Ferocity
Precision
Athletics

Battle Ready Inventory:
(3) Starter healing potions - 50 HP

Haine, in the initial stage of the death game, was one for challenges. To her, it was a way of proving she was capable. She was hasty and impatient, forgoing the lower leveled quests in favor of those she thought she could handle. Often times she had to retreat, all battered up as a result of skimming through the details in pursuit of the reward. She would have been dead, were it not for the help she got from the occasional comrade. She was proud to say that she'd outgrown such recklessness, albeit a part of that remained dormant. Haine was sitting on a water fountain in the middle of town, her short legs dangling off the side. She kicked her legs and took a swig of her already lukewarm hot chocolate, with extra sweetness as per her request. She hummed in delight and scrolled through her HUD to decide what today's agenda would be. Come to think of it, there were plenty of easy quests she hadn't taken yet. She could knock some out for the heck of it today.

She was about to click on a quest until a message chimed on the right corner from her guild. It was from a fellow member, Freyd, conveniently looking for assistance on a quest she had yet to take. A perfect opportunity to hit two birds with one stone. She sent a quick message of confirmation and pushed off the water fountain. She tracked the location of the quest board her comrade was waiting at and spotted a familiar figure donning a mysterious garb. With a pep in her step, she approached him. She slammed a hand against the quest board to announce her arrival and racked her brain for an appropriate greeting. "Hey there! I'm glad to bee of assistance." She waited for the player's reaction in anticipation and scratched her head. "Eh, too much?"

Edited by Haine

Eruda wakes to another long day ahead of her. Doing a few things around the shop, cleaning, dusting. Sam was not here for once. Eruda was usually the one to leave before her but this time it was the other way around. Eruda smiles and decides to continues her quest journey with whoever wishes to come. Eruda opens her HUD and to her surprise, it chimes before she could get a message out. Eruda chuckles a bit seeing Freyd asking for teammates to go with him. Similar to what Eruda was just doing the other day. Eruda with her HUD open instead looks at the guild members that were added recently. There were a bunch of new faces that Eruda would soon have to meet and get to know. Locating the floor that Freyd was on, she gathers her equipment that she would soon have to replace and starts to head to the warp gate in the beginning city.

Arriving at floor 2 she sees Freyd and Haine standing around waiting for another guild member she supposed. Walking to the small grouping saying "I will join you on this quest if you don't mind. It was one on my list anyway. Freyd nice to see you again and Haine you too of course. So Freyd you are the party leader so you lead today.Tell us about this quest if you would." Eruda would stand by both of them just in case something did go wrong but given that Freyd was the one who sent the invite this time...She would follow but be prepared for anything that may go wrong.

Spoiler

Eruda
Level: 26
HP: 520/520
EN: 52/52

Stats:
Damage: 3
Mitigation: 52
BLD:12
TAUNT
THRNS:18
REC:1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Bleeding Edge - Malice (Bleed 2, Taunt)
Armor: Resistance Plate - Lily (Damage Mitigation 3 (+27 Mitigation)
Misc: Stalwart Defender (Thorns 2, Recovery 1)

Skills:
Heavy Armor [Rank 4]
One-Handed Curved Sword [Rank 2]
Fighting Spirit [Obtained]
Howl [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Concentration

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystal
Ebon Tether - Beauty (+3 Loot Dice)

Edited by Eruda

Freyd raised a single eye brow at Haine's comment, and offered a small smile of recognition.   He raise one hand and pinched his fingers to within a fraction of an inch. 

"Over by that much."

He turned and greeted Eruda with a short bow.  She seemed much more formal and distant.  Maybe it was just her way.  Whatever.  

"We have one paltry field boss to wipe out - a giant wasp.  Honestly, after watching your howl the other day, this thing might just break down crying and need a month of therapy."  He mapped out the short travel route to reach the spawning point, the various landmarks and milestones along the way, two scenic overlooks for time-wasting purposes, and provided a full breakdown of all known material spawn nodes along their projected route.

Closing the array of UI windows that contained all of the correlated information, he concluded his briefing with the briefest possible summary:   "We walk five minutes that way, it dies in one shot, then we stand around remarking about how easy it was and ultimately decide to go have lunch."

@Haine

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Soon enough, Eruda showed up. She'd seen her around once or twice, she didn't spend enough time with her to form an impression, but she was nice. The blonde was more serious in comparison to her, choosing to cut to the point and get things done. The bluenette found that to be a bit of a drag, but she was polite and that was enough. "G'day to you too, Eruda!" she jested. She listened to the man explain the quest they would partake in. Haine wasn't too concerned, with Eruda's howl and Freyd's overall prowess, this quest would be yet another cake walk. She liked Freyd's easygoing spirit. Hopefully when Haine had the chance to spend time with the blonde, she'd get her to warm up a little more. "That sounds like a plan. I'll treat you guys to some barbecue after we're done, how bout' it?" Her mouth practically watered at the thought of steak.

Edited by Haine

Freyd explains the quest and Haine greets her. A small nod to Freyd saying "Lead the way. I will take point if you need me too. I do not do enough damage but I can sure block a hit." Glancing at Haine her mind keeps going to the ice. She knew that she and Haine would have to talk soon and the fact that Eruda saw them together without Haine knowing, well it felt wrong. Eruda would have to talk to Haine soon because she didn't know how much longer she would be able to keep it silent. Looking to Freyd giving a smile she says "So what made you want to Join Firm Anima of all the other guilds out there. I would really like to have a better understanding of everyone." Thinking of the last time she ate she says "Food after sounds great" as she walks behind Freyd making short conversation before heading to battle.

His eyes practically bulged out of his head at their responses.  He honestly hadn't expected them to agree, though it was heartwarming to see guild mates who were willing to be so open.

"Barbecue sounds delicious!  I didn't realize that you were a chef.  'Cook' doesn't seem like it really does the profession justice.  Count me in!"

Switching conversations to answer Eruda, he answered in a perfectly candid tone, figuring that she would appreciate that the most.  "Honestly, I joined based on little more than the fact that Kiluia asked me, and the couple of quests we did together with you and Raidou.  You all seem like a really good bunch of people.  That counts for a lot with me."  He shrugged, as if that was it.  It was a lie.  In reality, he had endless reams of cross-compared spreadsheets analyzing half-completed personality profiles based on data from their prior encounters, and anything else he could collect through the server.  All of that had in turn been value-crunched against equally Machiavellian records on the other existing players and guilds.  But saying all of that would just sound creepy.  This seemed like a far better way to go.

"Ah, here we are."   He pointed to a wide clearing with a giant awkward lump in the middle of it.  It looked like an immense four year old had created his own version of Swiss cheese in a mud pit.  Summoning Forgiven Disobedience to hand, he held the two handed straight sword proudly.  It was a complete contrast to everything about his own appearance.  Its brilliant bleached white blade and ornate gold-trimmed guard with decorative red trim gleamed beautifully in the bright sunlight.  He winked at Haine and nodded in the mud heap's direction.

"Ladies first."

@Haine

"Eh, not necessarily! I just cook to treat myself. I'm getting better lately, so you're all in for a treat." She pointed at the two of them with a wink. She'd spent enough time around her love to pick up a thing or two when it came to cooking. "Music is my expertise," she added. After all the chit chat was said and done, the trio set out for their destination. Haine knew it would be a breeze, it was the reason why she accepted the quest so quickly. Why not get it out of the way for herself and help everyone else out while she was at it?

Soon enough, the trio arrived at their destination with the hives. There was a large mound sticking out from the ground with holes from all directions on the surface. That must be it, she figured. "Alright ladies and gents! Lemme show you how it's done." With a cocky smirk, the bluenette unsheathed her glaive. She stepped on top of the mound and slammed the pointy tip down several times to agitate whatever was down below. Surely enough, the queen wasp emerged from the mound, large and hideous as per usual. She let it come at her and lanced it four times consecutively. The insect fell on impact and she climbed on top of it, delivering a final thrust. She turned around to face the two and shot a thumbs up. "All good! So, ready to check out my sweet abode?" She'd spent too long standing on top of the enemy as it materialized. She shrieked as she stumbled back, landing on her caboose when there was nothing under her.

ID: #157038 results: Battle: 5+1 ACC=6, HIT!

Activates Dimension Stampede / 9*15=135

Players:

Haine | HP:920/920 | EN:75/92 | DMG:9 | MIT:12 | ACC:1 | PARA:2
Eruda | HP:520/520 | EN:52/52 | DMG:3 | MIT:52 | BLD:12 | TAUNT | THRNS:18 | REC:1
Freyd | HP:560/560 | EN:56/56 | DMG:14 | MIT:41 | EV:1 | ACC:3 | KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12

Mobs:
(1,0,0,0) <<Wind Wasp Queen>> | HP:0/50 | DMG:20

Edited by Haine

Before Eruda could comment on anything, she sees the large bee that they were looking for, approaches out from the mount within a tree. Haine swipes it with her weapon like it meant nothing with little issues attached. Eruda didn't even get to pull her weapon out this time. Smiling she says to Haine "Well now that that is dealt with, you offer the food. I have things I still need to do but I can take a moment to eat something. I can't remember the last time I ate anyway. So where are we doing this," asking her as she felt like this could be a way of getting to know some of her guild members without pressure or distractions in the way. Looking to Freyd saying "Well regardless of how you came to join us, I am glad to have you around. I may not look like much now but you can be dam sure that I will help with anything that you need. You can count on me to be your shield when you need it the most." Eruda smiles sincerely and looks to Haine again saying "Lead the way."

"Oh, house visit!  That sounds great, Haine!  I'm looking forward to it."  He motioned for her to lead the way.

Freyd blushed deeply at Eruda's kind words.  He was clearly unaccustomed to praise.  "You shouldn't sell yourself short, Eruda - ever.  I've witnessed your passion first-hand and have absolutely no doubt that you are on your way to becoming one of the greatest tanks in Aincrad.  All it takes is time and will.  You have them both, and companions who will help you make the most of them."  He hesitated, debating whether she might take offence, but ultimately chose that it was necessary to making his point.  Freyd place his hand on her armored shoulder and gave it a firm squeeze, demonstrating his conviction and support.  She saw then, the measure of his drive and determination.  As easy going as he might appear, Freyd had fire burning inside that would drive him with unbridled fury when it was finally unleashed.

"Tch, that's no good!" Haine chastised at the blonde with a slight frown. A part of the young woman had an inherent maternal side, after all those years spent looking out for her younger sister. Around those she loved, a bit of that mother hen in her would surface. "You need food for energy. I'll feed you extra." And that she meant. Eruda would have to witness the other shoveling heaps of extra sustenance onto her plate. She stands aside and folds her arms as she listens to her two guild members chat. She felt glad that the two of them were getting along so well already. It would make for a great time at her barbecue. Her excitement grew and she took off with haste. She turned around to the stragglers and hollered out. "C'mon, slowpokes! Onward." 

Surely enough, they arrived in front of Haine's shared estate with Kiluia on the sixth floor. It was a beautiful cottage-styled mansion, shrouded in the heart of the jungle. She unlocked the door and stepped inside, ushering the two in. "Welcome to home, sweet home! Make yourselves comfortable. I'll be just a minute." She guided them to the couches in the living room. She turned her back towards them and panicked a little inside. Gah, why did she agree to cook for them?! She hardly knew how to cook. Now that they were here though, she had to be a good host. What would Kiluia do? She rummaged through the fridge to remove some ingredients. Her love's tendency to meal prep saved the day. There was a stack of marinated meat waiting inside. She let out a relieved sigh and brought it out along with the rest of what she needed.

Edited by Haine

Eruda was brought into Haine's how and all she could think was -WOW-. It looked so amazing inside. Everything was so clean and had an almost shine to each surface. For some reason, she expected nothing less of perfect from Haine. Eruda just got that vibe from her. Sitting on the couch that was presented to her she looks to Freyd saying "I was never trying to sell myself short, I am simply saying I know I need more work. If I want to protect everyone I can in this game, I need to be strong in my defenses. That's what I was trying to get across. Thank you for the vote of confidence though. It really does help. I know that I will get there and yes it will take time to do so. I just wish that this game wasn't even a thing in the first place though..." Eruda words fall silent as she tries to think if that was actually true. If this game never existed then she would have never met Raidou. She would have never become who she was now and would still be the scared little girl from back home who talked to no one. A slight frown formed on her face as she corrects her words saying "Actually no...I am glad that something like this exists because I am a better person from what I was in the real world. I just wish the stakes weren't so high." Leaning back on the couch with a sigh, she hears something drop to the floor. Quickly Eruda sits up saying "Is everything alright in there Haine? Do you need help?"

Edited by Eruda

Freyd looked completely out of place in Haine and Kiluia's home.  It was full of life, comfortable, and felt... real.  That last part really threw him off.  He kept jumping up from the couch, as if it might secretly be a mimic and try to bite him.  The fine glassware Haine provided his drink in was intricately blown and detailed, with hints of blue specs to match her own appearance.  It contrasted sharply against his own matte black clothing and plain features.  Even with his cowl down, he looked like he should be crouching in a front line trench somewhere, rather than sitting in her finely appointed living room.  Eruda caught him checking the soles of his boots several times, as if concerned that he might be soiling the carpets.

Eruda's exit to check on a possible culinary disaster in the kitchen gave him the break he needed to stand and wander, stretching his legs and occupy his mind by just walking around and observing.  People revealed much about themselves by the manner in which they decorated their homes. 

"What does this place say about Kil and Haine," he whispered aloud to himself, pondering the room.

Haine's nerves were running now, as she dropped a ladle whilst searching her kitchen drawer. She sighed and knelt down to grab it. Soon enough, Eruda stepped in to check the source of the noise. "Oh!" She thought about dismissing her, as she was a guest to treat after all. But on second thought, she could really use that help. She stood up and placed the ladle atop the counter, a soft chuckle escaping her lips. "Help would be much appreciated. Here..." she reached for a glass tupperware of seasoned meat and handed it to her. "Could you take this to the patio table for me, please?" She grabbed a couple things and carried them out, not before calling for Freyd. "Freyd! Come sit with us."

Surely enough, the landscape was as decadent and lush as the interior. It was decked to a T, with beautiful shrubbery and blossoms lining the outskirts. A scent of soil and flowers lingered in the air, inviting them. Beyond the patio lied a pond full of fish, a stone path leading up to it. Haine ushered them to the shaded patio, setting her things down by the grill. She fired it up and waited a moment, then begun to place the pieces of meat on the grill. Surely enough, the aroma of the food caused her mouth to water. She got this! Things were turning out good.

Siiike.

Haine watched in horror as... something happened to the meat on the grill. She panicked and Pingu, thankfully, was standing next to the grill waiting for scraps. "Hey Ping..." she whispered, as discreetly as she could. "Get Kiluia for me, pretty please?" The bird chirped and set off in search of her owner. He was out momentarily to monitor their cooking. After a while, everyone there had, at some point, helped to create the little feast. The bluenette tried to convince her love to stay, but he had business to tend to. With a pout, Haine kissed him goodbye and sat beside her two comrades. Pingu, Kiluia's penguin familiar, decided to stay where the food was. If there was one thing that could hinder her loyalty to him, it would be food.

"Thanks for the help, everyone! Let's dig iiinn." She muttered a word of thanks, but not before giving the penguin an unspoken side eye. The bird was akin to a petulant child she had to chastise. After everyone had helped themselves to a plate, the bird helped herself. Before Haine could stop the creature, it dove forward to grab a piece of barbecue.  With a gleeful trill, it jumped off the table and devoured the piece.

Edited by Haine

Helping Haine out a bit felt nice. She was glad to get this time to get to know these people. Eruda sees Haine walk away for a moment around the corner out of view and then after a moment she had returned. Was Haine sharing a house with someone? Eruda knew that she had nothing to worry about when it came to Haine and Raidou because well...Rai asked her out after Haine left the ice. Where were Haine and Kiluia all this time though? Raidou never mentioned them to her yet, Haine changed Raidou completely that day. What was she to Raidou...

Haine placed the rest of the meal on the table and sat down and called Freyd over to sit with them. Eruda knew Haine was a good person but they all seemed troubled after they returned. Eruda quickly opens her HUD for a moment to check for Freya's messages again but to her surprise, the message she swears she got was not there...Eruda looks through her messages thoroughly and still finds nothing. Eruda didn't understand what was going on...She swore that Freya had sent her a half a dozen messages...Eruda thought of what Raidou told her of how he was being haunted by a ghost of her before Eruda came back...A knot started to form in Eruda stomach as she tries to figure out what was going on. "Freya," Eruda says quietly with tears starting to form in her eyes as she continues to scroll through her messages trying to find what was obviously not there...

Freyd was happy to join in and help out.  He was used to doing things on his own, and surprisingly capable around a kitchen.  With his cowl down and gloves off, he actually seemed oddly normal.  His features were plain, with pale skin and an unruly mop of brown hair draping down about his face.  A small smile lingered as he watched and listened to the two women go about preparing their meal, contributing where and as he best could without getting in their way.  That was Freyd in a nutshell: unobtrusive.  He chimed into the conversation just enough to remain involved, but revealed very little about himself.  

While both women were very lovely, he still felt like he knew very little about either of them.  Eruda's concern didn't escape him.  At first, he thought that she had called his name and he started to respond, until realizing what she had actually said.  

"Who's Freya?"

@Haine

She paused through a mouthful of food, setting her fork down on her plate. Her features morphed into that of a concerned one when she noticed the the blonde tearing up. Her voice quivered, low but just audible enough for her to pick up. At first she thought the woman had called for Freyd, but she called for someone named Freya. The penguin, having noticed the vibe, pulled away from the food. She hopped up on the chair beside Eruda, resting a wing on her shoulder. She tilted her head, beady eyes expressing concern. Haine, following suit, moved closer. She didn't want to invade Eruda's personal space, so she maintained enough distance, but just close enough to not seem impersonal.

"Freya?" She questioned, her tone soft and tentative. She was trying to make sense of the sudden mood change, noticing her frantically flipping through her HUD. "Is everythin' okay, hon?"

@Eruda

"I...I don't know..." Eruda closes her HUD after one more glance through the messages. "I think...this game is finally messing with my head..." Looking at the food now that was fully prepared. The knot in her stomach only got worst thinking about how the messages from her twin sister were not really. She was imagining them this whole time. Something was wrong, something was not right and she was going to find out what she was missing. Looking to the others with tears in her eyes that she didn't realize formed saying "I need to go...I feel like something is wrong right now with my twin...Freya. I need to find her and make sure she is okay. This lunch date will have to proceed with another day. I am sorry for all the trouble." Eruda gets out from her seat and starts walking toward the front door. Turning one last time saying "Please forgive me guys," as she makes her way out the front door heading to the guildhall to start doing research hoping that something would come up that would help her find Freya and that she was okay.

Freyd looked at Haine, rather surprised by Eruda's sudden and dramatic exit.  His jaw set as he opened a message window and quickly input her name.  There was no point in chasing after her.  If she was this bothered, she'd resent the intrusion.  

"Don't worry," he said, reassuring his host.  "I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to psychological troubles."  He tapped his left temple for mildly disturbing emphasis.  "I've got years worth of therapy stored away in here."  She honestly couldn't tell if he was serious, and if so, how.

'Eruda - when you find what you need, we will be there.  Call on your friends.  Whatever may have happened to Freya, you don't need to face it alone.  -Freyd.'

He sent the message, then pulled over his plate and dug in, preferring not to waste a good meal - especially since Kil had come in to save it with his cameo cooking sword art.

"So, has Kiluia popped the question yet, or do I need to go prod him for you?"

@Haine

The atmosphere had grown tense by the seconds, as Eruda's composure fell. "Oh, it's fine!" Haine mustered a tentative smile, setting her fork down on her plate. "I'm glad you were able to visit Eruda..." Her tone had gone low as she struggled to process the situation. There were so many questions in her head, all unanswered when the woman went rushing past the door. She was gone before the two could blink, teary eyed. That left just her and Freyd, a brief moment of silence lingering in the air.

Thankfully, Freyd seemed to have a knack for conversations. She would have to thank him sometime for remedying an otherwise uncomfortable situation. They continued their meal, with Pingu accompanying them. She was fascinated by this unfamiliar guest, sliding into the empty chair beside him. She picked up her fork, stabbing a piece of steak. Just as she was about to eat, his question caught her off guard. She tilted her head.

"Uh, wh...ut?"

She was a bit of an airhead, but the topic made for an interesting change of conversation.

THREAD COMPLETE

Freyd - 5 SP (1 page, 1 bonus, 3 quest) + 200 COL, <<The Matriarch's Stinger>>

Eruda - 5 SP (1 page, 1 bonus, 3 quest) + 200 COL, <<The Matriarch's Stinger>>

Haine - 5 SP (1 page, 1 bonus, 3 quest), <<The Matriarch's Stinger>>

Edited by Haine