[F1/SP] The First Few Lessons are Free

The Town of Beginnings, the name alone feels like an adventure waiting to happen. Internally giddy, Vie gawks at the virtual world that seems so realistic. It feels… so surreal, so fantastical- as if everything she had ever dreamt of actually came to life. She observes seems simple enough for any random stranger to pick up the game and understand at least a segment of what it’s referring to. She takes her first step into this world towards the quest board- a habit picked up from years of gaming. Staring at the seemingly never ending board of quests, she begins to feel a bit overwhelmed. Just in time, her eyes cross paths with a beginner’s quest that seems like the first of a series. Under ‘details’ it reads something along the lines of ‘Go to Zackariah’s store, help him craft a potion… blah blah blah… questers will be rewarded.’ Without reading the rest, Vie immediately accepts it hoping to gain levels and material goods. And off towards the general direction of the shop she went. Though in the beginning town, it seemed not as traveled as the rest. A little- out of place...

Stats
Level: 1
Hit Points: 20
Energy: 2
Damage: 1 (base)
Mitigation: 0
Accuracy: 0
Evasion: 0

Skills
N/A

Equipment
Weapon: Rapier [Vanity]
Armor: Light Armor [Vanity]

Battle Ready Inventory
Consumables: Starter Healing Potions [3]

Edited by Vie

From afar it seems like a regular old ‘rustic’ building- though quaint and smaller than the others nearby that seemed to slightly overshadow it. A wooden sign plaque reading ‘OPEN,’ and cozy welcoming lighting inviting you to its interior. Vie initially opens the door slowly, peering into the entrance before hearing the ring of the bell and quickly making her way inside ‘stealthily’ (being a fool in the eyes of passerby). Zackariah’s gruff voice fills the entryway, “I’ll be right with you, I’m just testing some new ingredients!” She stares at the bookshelves that line the back of the exchange area, they’re filled to the brim with different sizes and colors of leather-bound books. There’s also glass cabinets with varieties of potions- several unique vessels holding colorful beverages. She takes a seat on the wooden bench, silently peering around looking at what she interpreted as remarkable. So realistic- so… magical. Unconsciously, a smile forms on her face and her eyes well up a small bit. Vie felt such a massive amount of appreciation for a game she’d only spent a week playing thus far.

An older gent in blue robes decorated with beige detail comes from the back, his white lengthy hair and well-groomed beard seems quite out of place in such a creaky store with its apparent age. The man beams at the young redhead and asks, “Hello, how might I be of help to you on this lovely day?” Wiping what little she weeped, Vie grins back and responds with, “Actually I was thinking I might be of some help- I saw that you needed some help with potion ingredients?” He visually ponders for a while and then lights up when he remembers the quest he posted, “Ahh yes- a new player like you would be of great help! Perhaps it’d be helpful to you too. It shouldn’t be difficult, there’s no messy combat involved or anything too dangerous. All you need to do is go into the wild, just a little ways into the forestry, and forage for some materials.” 

Vie thanks him and takes her leave, now informed of the direction she’s meant to head she makes her way towards the wild. Internally slightly frightened that she may possibly be unprepared, Vie continues to reassure herself- it’s too late to back out now after all. ‘He said it wasn’t dangerous, that it shouldn’t be too hard… I’m sure he’s telling the truth. Plenty of others have done the very same quest with my exact equipment. It may not be much, but it must be enough if even a new level one player is capable of taking it.’ Content with her train of thought, she refocuses to the issue at hand- ‘what are these so-called ‘materials’ he’s talking about anyway? He never quite… specified.’ She begins to go into a whirlpool of uncertainty whilst she nears the forest. She pauses for a moment- takes a breath- and nudges some of the overgrown vegetation out of the way, entering the wild for the first time. Strange looking fungi, mossy bark, and small tufts of bush galore (as well as beasts that seem to mind their own business (perhaps until you aggro them)). 'Gosh, the wild is really… wild. As expected I guess.'

Edited by Vie

She ventures further into the brush, in awe at how the creators managed to create such detail. From how the grass swayed in the breeze, to the texture of bark seeming to be quite realistic. Thinking about how great the game is, Vie begins to become excited to finish her first quest. The first adventure she embarked on in this wondrous world. Her walk begins to quicken until she spies what she might consider to be potion ingredients- roots, mushrooms, what looks to be some kind of herb. Typical in-game items that would go into potions. She digs a little further into the dirt, making her first attempt to pull at a root that was half-in half-out of the ground.

ID #157107 Result: 1

Vie frowns at the unsuccessful attempt. 'No worries, you're just as qualified as everyone else taking this quest' she reassures herself, becoming determined to prove that she can actually do what was asked of her. That she's just as reliable as the average user. 

Edited by Vie

Vie removes her hand from the middle of the apparently sturdy root and takes a step back. Just focusing on her breathing pattern for a little while. Something her therapist often told her would help in situations where she begins to feel frustrated towards herself. Internally acting supportive of herself she says,  ‘Look, maybe that’s not even the right sort of ingredient he wants.’ She focuses her attention to her surroundings, hoping that maybe sensing the most powerful ingredient is possible. After coming to the realization that she's hoping for the impossible, she sighs and returns back to the root. ‘Okay- I’ll try just one more time…’ She tells herself. Vie takes out her rapier and slashes at the root in an attempt to detach it, 'maybe this time it’ll actually work.'

ID #157108 Result: 16

Vie grins to herself, proud that she just unearthed a fairly large root. She raises it up to the light and holds it proudly as if she were showing it off to someone. 'Told you that you're capable, dumbass,' she internally responded to her success. Vie puts the root into her satchel which automatically places the material it into her inventory. 

Quest materials: 1/5

Edited by Vie

Now filled with a bit of confidence, Vie looks around for some nearby mushrooms. In the real world they’d be found on the somewhat-muddy ground, nearby some weeds or unwanted herbs. Normally with her hatred of mushrooms, she would immediately spot them, but for some reason it was a little difficult this time… when finding them would be beneficial to her. Subconsciously noting the information down, she inches further and further into the dank forest without noticing. Searching close to the ground, her hands get grimy and torn by the occasional prickly plant. Vie ought to be more careful and learn from previous scrapes, but she’s completely focused on the task given to her. After searching for around 15 minutes, she keels over when she finally finds a decently sized mushroom. She remembers how the first failure made her feel briefly and shakes her head, ‘this time it’ll be different,’ Vie tells herself.

ID #157109 Result: 18

Vie straight up yoinks that fungi out of the slightly damp ground, giving herself an internal fistbump.

Quest materials: 2/5

Edited by Vie

Her confidence increases dramatically with the double successful finds, Vie immediately begins to venture further into the forest. Though it gets a bit darker, she’s oblivious as to how far she’s gone. Putting the mushroom she just pulled into her satchel, she rushes towards the foot of a nearby tree. Seeing some herbs that look bushy and healthy. She grasps the herbs at their base while resting her hand on the nearby tree’s bark.

ID #157110 Result: 6

Vie tries to tug it out of the ground, but she lacks the right amount of strength. The ground is too stiff, the conditions aren’t quite right. She peels her hand off the tree, wincing a little as she now notices how scraped up her palms are, how muddy her boots are, the noise of steps nearby (though she doesn’t quite yet acknowledge it, too focused on the mild pain she felt)… Vie sighs and attempts to find a better herb to pull out of the mucky though somehow stable dirt.

Edited by Vie

‘Okay Vie,’ she refers to herself internally ‘all you need is three more materials and you can complete the quest. Easy peasy.’ She continues her search for potion ingredients, the area seems bare to the untrained eye- but Vie has a knack for searching a little further than the obvious. Kneeling down beside the fertalige allows her to pinpoint a trail that may lead to more materials, which is good news. She grins to herself, her reward for being a smart cookie, and wanders in the general area where she expects to find more herbs, shrooms, or what have you- she wasn't too picky. Vie spots another herb that appears to be flourishing along with the nearby ones. She reaches down and plucks it from its patch of soil slightly extruded from the ground.

ID #157191 Result: 20

Vie picks it up from its base, taking its roots along with it. She shrugs, unknowing if this improved its properties in some way. And throws it into her satchel along with the others.

Quest materials: 3/5

Edited by Vie

After the success, she turns her attention to yet another nearby shroom prospering and likely living off of a tree, its stem wrapping around and underneath its bark seemingly attempting to merge with it. Its head pointed towards Vie, seemingly just *asking* to be plucked up from its home. To be patted and taken care of as if a child. Vie is in no place to confiscate this from it and obliges, picking just the portion with its head that’s sticking out towards her.

ID #157192 Result: 18

Vie smiles to herself, successfully plucking it from its strong hold on the tree. She nests it between the other materials in her bag whilst being glad that she can in fact do what she sets out to do. Even if it's merely rescuing a mushed-room from living a life it doesn't entirely want to live, it feels courageous to her. This small internal celebration is interrupted by a deep nasally breath nearby-  she jumps up frightened at the strange unexpected noise and peers from behind a nearby tree she had previously taken cover from behind. Seeing a roughed up quadrupedal creature prowling.

Quest materials: 4/5

Edited by Vie

Taking a look closer- it’s a hog-like creature with an abnormally large snout. Either way- it scares Vie a lot as she hadn’t previously been too on guard. Her foot lifts and takes a step back sort of in a defensive manner, but it lands into a mucky foothold. Realizing how far she’s traveled into the brush as well as the unstable ground which just a second ago seemed rather rich and stable- she takes a step back and acts a little further surprised. Humbled by this realization of her stupidity, she turns back. Though not before spying a smaller though robust shroom on her way out and attempting to yank it out by its stem. 

ID #157193 Result: 11

Thankfully, the mushroom's base wasn't even trying to hold on too much to the muddy ground it protrudes from. She quickly picks it, puts it into her satchel which automatically puts it into her inventory, and scrambles away from the medium-sized beast hurriedly. 

Quest Materials: 5/5

Edited by Vie

The hog-like creature recalibrates its vision towards the young struggling Vie who seems to have difficulty escaping it. ‘Weak prey that seems decent in size,’ it thinks to itself whilst harrumphing. Interpreting this noise as it becoming aggressive towards her, she nervously trips over simple obstacles that could be avoided if she weren’t in such a simple minded rush to leave. Vie internally attempts to carefully think through possible actions and figure out her next move. Many thoughts cross her mind, ‘I can’t screw this up or else I’ll have to combat this mob while lacking the ability to do much damage. If I do that I might lose… I can’t already be dead when adventure’s just barely started!’ Vie furrows her brow, suddenly becoming determined to perhaps boost off obstacles to move further away. She makes the logical assumption that that hog might straight up wreck her… This might’ve worked if the hog-like creature didn’t have any sense of consciousness, but instead whilst Vie continuously slips up, the creature makes its way around the small redhead. Blocking off the path she knew led to the external world and back to the town.

[this is just gonna be a meek rp fight btw, because apparently (supposedly) that's something I can do, I'm not looking for mats with this & such.]

Edited by Vie

The scrappy visibly starving boar rushes towards her attempting to headbutt her- furious that his prey dare think it’s capable of escaping him. The boar believes its prey should instead be fearful, considering the boar to be superior in every way shape and form (as it believes it is). Perhaps it should even become its follower and wish to adapt to boar-kind becoming one of the boars herself, maybe developing some form of religion or hierarchy celebrating him as their leader… Either way, he wasn’t about to let this small puny ant get in his way of being the superior being he is. The boar furiously gains speed, kicking up dirt in its path and closing its eyes going full-force towards her. Vie closes her eyes tightly bracing for impact, getting hit and thrown against a nearby tree whilst the beast’s horns scrape and tear at her clothing around the lower torso area. The tree’s bark itself frays the fabric whilst Vie struggles.

She plants the palm of her left hand on top of the boar’s head, her right grasping for something nearby its impact point. Reaching towards its tusk which is entangled with the ripped cloth near her stomach allows her to get a grip on one of its tusks. Vie then blindly grasps for its other as the boar too struggles at her attempt to overthrow his leadership. The boar’s mind races with possibilities as to how to get himself out of this problematic situation he’s now been caught in. The redhead, with tusks in each hand, pushes the beast away from her- wanting to avoid any trouble. The boar stares for a long while- sure that he instead was the one who had almost died there. Either way, grateful, he practically gallops away- his mind thoroughly scrambled. Glad that she had gotten out of the situation, Vie finally sees the outside world again- taking a deep breath and appreciating that she’d escaped that… and then stumbling over a root that’s still mostly in the ground before actually reaching and going through the exit.

She stares up at the sky for a while, letting the realistic clouds pass… and then she remembers that there was an actual reason why she had been here and had gone through that- the quest. Vie quickly walks towards the village, taking a moment to analyze what had been done to her and what state she’s in now. Hands covered with scrapes and a bit of muck, a gash around her stomach… Glad that she’s not yet dead, she reverts her focus back on returning to the town in one piece. ‘Just- a little further…’ Though the forest is close, returning feels so much more difficult in her slightly wounded state. Every once in a while she winces in pain, feeling her blood making its way to wherever it decides its destination to be. She tears a bit at her sleeve, using the makeshift bit of cloth to push at her wound. Although this makes it hurt even more, she saw that they did this in movies when others were getting a medic.

Finally- she’s reached her destination- The Town of Beginnings. Feeling a little light headed due to blood loss she keels, drops to her knees, and then falls over in defeat. Her eyelids fluttering shut and her consciousness escaping her. The eyewitnesses to the scene panic a little internally, running from what seemed like some random chick that had just taken her last breath. One brave spirit takes it upon himself to tell someone to get a medic, rolling the ‘corpse’ over to its side and pushing on the wound that seemed decent in size and depth. When Vie awoke, she was being taken care of by a concerned Zackariah. Vie blinks her eyes in disbelief, glad that she had been put in his care. She grins from ear to ear seeing just the man she had wanted to see. “Thought you said it wouldn’t be too difficult,” she teased him a little. Zackariah shook his head, not responding to her remark. Vie takes a moment to acknowledge that he doesn't find this to be a joking matter, and understandably so. She feels regret towards her comment. "I'm just glad you came back in one piece," he spoke. You could tell that he meant it, each word spoken as if he were talking about something extremely fragile and dear. Perhaps he was a bit frustrated with himself too, having been the one who gave her the quest in the first place- of course he hadn't known of her recklessness.

Edited by Vie

She brings the materials he wanted for his potions out of his satchel one by one, her hands wavering a little. “You’re supposed to be able to count on me, I’m the adventurer afterall,” with each syllable her voice quavers a little. Zackariah begins putting his stock back up on shelves, having healed her with a single potion. Vie moves her limbs testing out whether she was still harmed or not and smiles, standing on her own two feet for the first time in what felt like a while. Zackariah sighs, figuring he can’t stop her from doing what she wants in the end he guesses. “Either way, since I used one of my own potions on you- you’ve got to pay me back somehow. Right?” He asks, sure that the redhead could help make more potions ‘with the two of us making them we might have double the stock I make in a single day’ and deliver something for him. Slightly confused by this change of pace, Vie nods. “Good, start over there. I need you to help me make a few potions to restock the shelves after your mess,” he points towards a complex alchemy set you’d feel like belongs in some sort of video game- (wait we *are* in a video game…)

He finishes putting some extra just-in-case potions back on the shelves near the front of the shop, and returns towards the back where he hears a *crash*. Vie continues poking at the equipment like a little kid, not knowing how to use it. Honestly she’d be more efficient in that time if she had been trying to start a fire or something more simplistic. “I didn’t tell you that you could touch anything,” Zackariah facepalms and shakes his head, setting aside the one now damaged beaker. ‘I guess I have to be more careful then,’ He begins teaching Vie the basics, allowing her to hold the whole beaker and send a fraction of its contents down the receiving glass tube into a flask and into yet another… Now that she actually looked at them, there were so many different sorts of flasks each seeming to be utilized for another specific purpose. He turns a knob and a strange seemingly magical flame appears, heating the bottom glass.

ID #157980 Result: 7

After a couple of minutes, he stops the flame and moves it in circles sort of similar to if he were about to taste test wine. “It doesn't always come out perfectly every time so don't feel too discouraged, but do you want to try on your own?” Ah- so it had been the ingredients, likely mashed and diluted into a liquid state! She analyses what had just happened in her head feeling like she's begun to understand to some degree internally, “I think I’d like to take a shot at it, I promise I’ll try to be careful this time. I do hope you'll be over my shoulder looking out for anything I might be doing wrong just in case.”

Quest health potion: 1/1

Edited by Vie

She starts from scratch. Vie minces up a few bits of the ingredients she just gathered in the forest, crushes them in a pestle and mortar, and begins to dilute them. Zackariah supports her decision, amazed by how she had learnt to do such a thing. He hadn’t known that she had been from another world where movies and chemistry classes were a thing. After it’s done diluting, she sifts the ingredients out from the solution. She begins pouring it with the same flask he had her use earlier, having it go through the same glass maze until it reached the flame she set similarly to how Zackariah had earlier. Vie waited for a few minutes for it to heat up to the correct temperature for the desired results… 

ID #157981 Result: 10

Vie quickly takes it off the flame, careful of its heat with some variant of metallic tongs specially built for its shape. She leaves it to cool on its own until it's ready to show off to Zackariah. “Ahh, that looks like a fine potion for your first real attempt,” He smiles while looking over her shoulder. “It’s not quite perfected on its own, but perhaps with my guidance you can perfect it someday young soon-to-be alchemist.”

+1 "experimental" quest potion (Unnecessary and will not be kept)

Edited by Vie

Zackariah thanks her for a job well done, asking her to complete the next thing on his to-do list, “Actually- I happen to have something else I’d like you to do before you’re quite off the hook.” He began, explaining that there was a local blacksmith shop that had ordered something from him. Pointing towards a wrapped up package he asks, “Could you go ahead and take it to Lyle Tealeaf? I sort of have my hands full at the moment, I need to restock these shelves and clean up the alchemy lab again to start my experiments once more, as well as perfecting what you’d just made.“ Vie nods, figuring that she had owed him for what trouble she’s caused. Who could refuse someone who’d helped you so much. Zackariah began with, “Oh yeah and before I forget-” and out the door she went package in arms without listening to the rest of what Zackariah had to say. She figures it must be nearby, ‘Who would order something while being so far away? There must be many potion stores, it’s the town of beginnings after all.’ Vie tries her hand at finding the local blacksmith shop, essentially wandering around asking for a Lyle Tealeaf and marking down the ones that aren’t associated with anyone by that name. 

Quest Complete

SP: 4 (1 thread closure, 1 event bonus, 2 quest completion)

Col: 400

Items

5 Tier One Health Potions of Rare quality. (+40 HP)

1 Tier One Damage Potion of Uncommon quality. (+1 Damage)

1 Tier One Over-Health Potion of Special quality. (+50 HP to maximum HP for remainder of thread)

Edited by Vie