[PP | FL 7] A Case of Wurms

The sun was blaring down upon him today. The sun's rays beginning to take an issue with his heat index causing the man to frown. The fact that the developers thought of this was pissing him off. Today was an arrangement to take on a quest he had flagged many years ago. It would seem he would have to get rid of it from his quest log now. He flicked open his HUD and shot a message to the entirety of the guild. 

Hello,

Looking for quest help for Floor 7. Should be quick and easy. Meet me at the gate.

Kiluia

The man sent the message an off it went to ping the rest of the guild. Hand raised as he shielded his eyes from the onslaught of light. Sand as far as the eyes could see, he thought to himself. Today was not the day to bring Pingu. She was not a fan of the heat and would be a hinder to the rest of the team if brought along. He was sweating himself with the heat coming down. Just imagine what a penguin would be doing. He watched the city behind him being busy with their own lives. Their own stores and their own stories to make. NPC's were something else if anything. He would have to interact more to get more quests this way. 

Spoiler

Name: Kiluia
Level: 28
HP: 560/560
EN: 56/56

Stats:
Damage: 11
Mitigation: 23
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 2
REC:1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Ra's Wrappings (T1/Perfect/Handwrap): Damage 3
Armor: Rose Prism (T1/Perfect/Light Armor): Mitigation 2, Evasion 1
Misc: Eye of Rain (T1/Perfect/Trinket): Accuracy 2, Recovery 1

Skills:
Martial Arts [Rank 4]
Picking [Obtained]
Searching [Rank 1]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
Dismantling

Battle Ready Inventory:
Primrose Cross (T1/Perfect/Trinket): Loot Dice 3
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Basic Training: +1 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Yui's Grace +1 SP 6/7 Remaining

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

The woman had just finished helping a new recruit with an easy quest. The matriarch stood no chance, falling at the hands of the two. She felt accomplished, but it wasn't nearly enough for a day's work. She scrolled through the guild wall in search of something to do. Surely enough, she found a post on the front page for quest assistance. It was her love, Kiluia. She frowned. He should've known she'd tag along if he asked. Nonetheless, Haine confirmed she'd be there. She unequipped her coat in preparation of the sweltering heat to come.

And sweltering it was.

Not even a few minutes into the floor, the woman was fanning her nape. It was too late to back out now. Instead, she made haste for the quest location. Surely enough, the white haired man was there waiting in town. She stepped in front of him, her hand shielding the sun's rays from her periphery. "God, it's hot!" She pulled her long locks into a side braid.

Spoiler

Name: Haine
Level: 49
HP: 1,000
EN: 98

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 12
Accuracy: 1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: 2H AS Paralyze II
Armor: Tier 1 light armor [Vanity]
Misc:

Skills:
Two Handed Assault Spear [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 3]

Extra Skills: Fishing

Mods:
Finesse Rank 3
Ferocity
Precision
Athletics

Battle Ready Inventory:
(3) Starter healing potions - 50 HP

Edited by Haine

Freyd's acknowledgement arrived about three seconds before he walked around the corner.  Did he do that on purpose, or did he have an army of copies scattered across every floor on standby for these calls.  Shadow obscured his eyes under his black cowl as he approached, but a pleasant smile was visible.  He enjoyed spending time with Kiluia and Haine.  They were good people, and he needed to be around that whenever he could.

"Hey, you two!  Good to see you both again.  I hear you're going after the Wurms.  I've done the quest, but wasn't even allowed to swing my sword last time I came along."  His hand waved dismissively, as if suggesting that it was just better not to ask.  "This might provide a bit more action than a lessons quest, or that annoying queen bee thing.  Count me in!"

Forgiven Disobedience appeared in his hands, resting lightly on his shoulder.  Despite being dressed in well-worn travel leathers, Freyd was completely unbothered by the heat.  "Persi and I met on floor five.  It makes this place seem like no big deal."

@Kiluia Seiko

Spoiler

Name: Freyd
Level: 30
HP: 600/600
EN: 60/60

Stats:
Damage: 14
Mitigation: 41
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 4
KEEN:1
HLY:2
BLD:12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Forgiven Disobedience (T1-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T2-LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival

Mods:
Precision

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Divinity's Wait (T1 Mit 3)*5
Liquor of Light (T1 DMG 3)*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

He would fan her with the paper he had gotten for the quest coordinates. He was overly dressed for this occasion with the sweltering heat."Understatement of the year, love." He had pulled out a bottle of water that was still crisp cold for her. He smiled as he heard a familiar voice. Good ol' Freyd was on his way. He looked at his direction and spoke."Yeah? I'm glad to hear that. I'm not too sure how it works with this quest since I got it eons ago. Just never actually did it. We should really get out of this heat though. We can talk at the cafe in town or the market to stock up on some water before heading out. Pretty sure we'll be out there for a bit but only to hunt down the monster."

Hand would dip into Haine's as he spoke. " I'm a lot better than I was when we last spoke Freyd." A grin spread across his face as he started trotting to the market first. It was to kill the time and waiting for the weather to drop in temperature for the time being. The sweltering heat would have to fade sooner or later."I would of introduced you to my penguin familiar but it probably would not do too well in this kind of heat. " He sighed. He was happy he got a familiar but these quests were too brutal for her. She would complain all the way there and all the way back. 

Haine pushed her bangs back and scrunched her nose. Once he had fanned her with his map, she closed her eyes and sighed. "Oh, that's niceee." She tilted her head back and exhaled. She snatched the bottle from him in a heartbeat, twisting the cap and chugging it. "Niceee." She straightened her posture and noticed Kiluia struggling with the heat, overdressed as could be. "That's a lot of clothes for a desert. You sure you need that coat?" She listened to the other speak and laced her fingers with his.

She was about to reply until she saw a shrouded figure approaching them. She recognized the attire as her guild mate Freyd's. She waved him over and then propped her hands on her hips. "Oi, nice to see you!" Freyd didn't seem the least bit phased by the heat. He must have been trained to withstand this heat, lucky him. "Yeah, c'mon let's take a break from this heat. Water, anyone?"

Edited by Haine

"You two are still as cute as ever, I see."  He laughed as he said it, waving them both over towards some shade under a shop's awning.  He pulled out a couple of additional cold drinks from his inventory for each of them.  Freyd was rarely unprepared.

"You certainly look like you've been working hard, Kil!  Retraining is paying off, it seems.  Good for you!  You'll catch up to Haine in no time."  A hint of a wink could be seen beneath his cowl, which he promptly folded back, revealing his plain features and unruly brown crop of hair.  Freyd seemed to be in good spirits, at least for Freyd.  

"A penguin, eh?  Was that because you so enjoyed hanging out on floor four?  You have a lovely house, by the way.  I think I neglected to mention it during my last visit."  Persi bounded out from under his armor and nuzzled herself up against Haine's leg.  "Hey, watch it Persi.  Kil will get jealous if you soak up the attention."  A pair of brilliant blue eyes looked up at him dismissively.  Getting Persistence to back off anything she put her mind to was, by definition, difficult.

He grinned slightly at the familiar. Persi was a pretty chill mongoose in his eyes. Hand reached out to stroke the fur of the familiar as he spoke."Thanks. I been trying real hard lately. Looking forward to go out into the field as equals with Haine. I don't want her to go alone out there." He straightened out his figure before looking at the NPC." I'd like to purchase water please." He ordered six bottles of water before looking at his beloved. "I'm thinking that should be enough. I'll also probably take this coat off until we get there. " He looked over at Freyd and spoke again. " So, anything new in your travels buddy?" 

He glanced over back at Haine before ordering a block of ice to go as well. Those items vanished into his inventory. He would make sure that everyone would be well hydrated during and after this trip into the desert. He would remind himself mentally to never go into the desert again after this for a quest unless he had some gear that produced cold air. @Haine

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

The shade of the awning provided reprieve from the sun's scorching rays. "Yup! He is speed." She pat Kiluia's shoulder. All the time, she was supportive of his incredible drive. She tagged along with him for a handful of quests. She was shocked by how fast he was working to regain his former prowess. At this rate, Haine had no doubt he would surpass even that threshold. She accepted Freyd's generous offer of the cold elixir, one which wouldn't last long in this sweltering heat. "Thanks, Freyd!" She twisted the cap and sighed, taking a few swigs of it.

"Oh, yeah, he saved our barbecue. He's a much better cook than I'll ever be." She raised to her tip toes, pecking the white haired wonder's cheek. She was delighted that the elusive Persi approached her for the first time. Her eyes lit up in adoration, looking down at the mongoose which nuzzled against her leg. "Oh, and hello to you too, precious!" She knelt down, scratching the familiar's chin. She stood up and followed behind the others as they walked to the shop.

They had enough water to last the whole trip and back now. She snagged an extra one off Kiluia before he could store it, storing it along with the bottle in her hand. From the corner of her eye, she saw trays of fresh fruit for sale. "Three cups of mixed fruit, please miss?" A moment later, she passed each cup to the adventurers. She paid the difference. With a word of thanks, she forked a piece of cold watermelon into her mouth. She closed her eyes, humming in delight. Succulent.

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by Haine

Noting how both of his companions finished their preparations, Freyd simply enjoyed the company.  He never left the house without expecting to get swarmed by a full squad of Cardinal's deadliest assassins.  It wasn't a particularly likely scenario, but his obsessive mind satisfied its paranoid operating parameters meant it had to be included as a possibility.  That meant needing a contingency.

"I've been to the spawn point before and can lead the way.  Take your time and enjoy the fruit.  It's a bit of a hike."  He laughed at his own statement looking down at himself.  "I seem to be growing into the role of guild scout.  It wasn't exactly what I was planning, but I suppose it works."  Shrugging off the realization, he led them out through the City gates and into the wild.

A quick, low whistle sent Persi darting into the surrounding brush, eager to flush out anything that might be lurking unkindly.  She appeared sporadically at outcroppings, or as a pair of blue gleaming eyes in crooks and nooks along their route.  

@Kiluia Seiko

He took a cup of mixed fruit and started to enjoy the flavors of it. The fruit itself was something he had not seen before. He took note on how special care they took of the fruit along with the fruit syrup. Having Freyd around allowed him to ensure that the quest would be done in an orderly fashion. The heat was subsiding tremendously as he looked out at the city.

“Being a scout isn’t too bad. I prefer to have all the information ahead of time before going on such endeavors. Perhaps I’ll see if I can have you moved to the Intel department.” He looked at Freyd with a smile before finishing off his fruit cup. The hustle and bustle of the city was still going on despite the initial heat wave. He would look at the two and speak. “No hurry. I don’t mind looking around.” He would look at the two before heading to a stall to peek at its goods. He wanted to at least make sure he could see any ingredients that were here before they took off to do the quest itself.

She let the two engage in their conversation, preoccupying herself with the cup of fruit she nursed. She hummed, her train of thought wandering as she stood by the building. The heat was miserable, but the shade provided some sort of reprieve from it. Little bites of the fruits were like ice cold elixir, soothing her throat. She thought to the quest they would partake in soon. A piece of cake, she made sure to it. Just a handful of worms, child's play. The trio advanced from the shade, making their way through town.

A bite of a succulent pineapple brought forth an insatiable craving for pineapple turnover. Oh, when Kiluia made his bakery, she'd be one lucky woman. Surrounded by sweets, baking sweets... and as her mind typically worked, she went off on tangents. She thought about what she would want to do for her own living. She couldn't see herself doing much else besides music, it was her one true love.

Crouching low as they approached the boss' spawning point, Freyd warned Kil and Haine to spread out.

"This beast has two heads and can burrow through the earth with remarkable speed.  Watch your footing on the sands, and be prepared for the ground to shift suddenly."  He placed his open palm to the sandy surface and held his breath.  "It's coming."

Small pebbles and bits of debris laying around the area started vibrating.  Freyd's blade materialized in his free hand, coalescing from thin air and shimmering in the harsh desert wind.  The tip hovered an inch above the ground, its white blade gleaming brilliantly and eager for a chance to strike.

Two massive horned serpent heads burst forth on either side of him, each with its own pair of stubby arms ending in wicked black claws, and disproportionately small wings that seemed insufficient to support flight - and yet they did.  Freyd swung his greatsword in a single, bright, wide arc severing the head on the right completely at the same time as he dodged the other's attempt to swallow him whole.  Spinning in mid-air as he leapt out of the way, landing deftly on the side already slain, eager to keep its attention while his companions came at it from the side.

"Kil!  Now's the time to show off!"

@Kiluia Seiko

Spoiler

image.png.b7d77acefd7641366c29afaa35fef1b3.png

[2] Freyd | HP:600/600 | EN:60/60 | DMG:14 | MIT:41 | EVA:1 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12

BD: 5 +4 -1 = 8 (hit).  Galaxy destroyer deals (182 - 45 = 137) damage to Amphis Serpens.

Amphis Serpens: HP 33/170 (-137) | MIT 45 | DMG 70 

MOB: 5 +1 (EVA quest penalty) -1 (EVA) = 5 (miss)

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

He was not ready for this at all. That moment that the boss spawned caused him to recoil back as Freyd entered to fighting it. The shock of what he was looking at caused him to panic slightly. The creature resembled a cocoon causing him to stop slightly in his tracks. His legs and arms shook slightly as he tried moving but it was not working. Fear struck him hard as he tried to move. Move!  His mind was on fire trying all sorts of messages to his body. At the end of the day, he could not move at all.

The fear was seen by both Freyd and Haine. He grit his teeth as he watched in horror of the creature tumbling around and thrashing about striking Freyd. His breathing was shallow as he clenched his fists showing white knuckles. To them, he was a statue with sweat forming across his face. He was not ready for this moment. "I.. can't." His voice was shaky as he looked slightly at Haine.

Spoiler

image.png.6f336da2af20c6ca98fbd4aec7c6f492.png

Failure

Kiluia | HP: 560/560 | EN: 54/56 | DMG:11 | MIT:23 |ACC:2 | EVA:1 | REC: 1

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

She noted Freyd's warning, her eyes squinting as she surveyed her surroundings. Like he'd mentioned, the sand beneath her made it tougher to grip to the floor. With each step she took, she could feel her feet sinking ever slightly. Unceremoniously, the ground beneath them began to tremble. Debris shook and a sound of something skittering could be heard from beneath. She gulped. On cue, a massive worm-like serpent tunneled through to the surface. It aimed straight at Freyd, who'd managed to dodge it with ease. She swiped its head off clean, leaving the twin head darting about.

It was vicious, enough to paralyze her love with fear. She did not give the thing a chance to look his way. She exchanged a swift glance of reassurance and took off after the nuisance. She jabbed at the worm and pivoted from behind, its defenses weakening as it neared its last straw. The opportunity left a window for her to dash up its spine, delivering a final blow to its head.

"Ugh, good riddance." She switched her stance from battle mode, the whining kicking in. "Let's get outta here, it's hot!" She jumped off the worm and moved in front of Kiluia. He was recovering from the after effects of his petrification. Her eyebrows furrowed with concern as she tilted her head. She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright, sweets?"

ID: #158472

BD: 7

DMG: 9*14 = 126 DMG

Activates Southern Imperial Cross

Haine: LVL: 49 | HP: 1,000 | EN: 98 | DMG: 9 | MIT: 12 | ACC: 1

Enemy:

Amphis Serpens: HP 33/170 (-137) | MIT 45 | DMG 70 

Edited by Haine

Even as Haine felled the massive serpent, Freyd was already bolting for Kiluia.  Arching backwards to tip his balance, he barely cleared the second head, sliding beneath it as it crashed into the sands just behind him.  He rolled and was back on his feet an instant later.  A quick survey checked Kiluia for wounds or evidence of a poisonous puncture.  When none were apparent, he shifted his gaze to meet his friend's and immediately understood.  Ah.  So that's it.

"Hey, Kil!" he said, softly.  "You're okay buddy."  He snapped his fingers a few times at different points around Kil's head to help him snap out of his daze.  Haine was approaching, starting to notice his condition.

"He'll be fine," Freyd said, covering.  "That first burst of sand must have knocked the wind out of him."  He nodded to Kil, his eyes conveying that he needed to nod too so that Haine wouldn't get worried.  "Don't sweat it, Haine.  He just needs a moment to shake it off."  Freyd added a gentle pat on the shoulder to help get Kil moving.

He was glad the fight was over. His lungs filled back with air as he felt the weight go away. The creature was shattered into millions of crystals but the fear he felt was still real. His eyes looked up at the two as he seemed to tremble. The effect wasn't paralysis or from being petrified. It was the psychological shock of seeing something similar to what he was encased in. " T..thanks.. "He spoke softly looking at the two. He was unstable  for a few more moments. It passed and he looked at the two.

"Wasn't exactly graceful, was I?" He laughed looking at the two trying to play it off. He would have to confront his fear sooner or later about what  happened. This hit close to home for him. Without a doubt, this would hold him progression if he ran into this quest or anything similar to it. @Haine

Edited by Kiluia Seiko

She was grateful to have the man assisting Kiluia, assessing his state to see if anything had effected him. She was concerned for him in his seemingly petrified state. Her expression hesitated, however Freyd’s assuring nod was enough to put her at ease. “Okay...” Her love would just need a little bit to shake off the situation. She pat his other shoulder, waiting for him to come around.

He pulled himself together and mustered a laugh, playing the situation off. She could sense, from the underlying way his tone would waver, that he was still effected by the aftermath. There were cocoons left behind by the worm shaped creature, awfully reminiscent of the events that transpired in the past. It was something she'd noticed after spacing out, her gaze fixated on it. It left an odd feeling of deja vu just looking at it. She opted to push the thought from mind. “Pfft, you can say that again,” she jested, playing both hands on her hips. “So it’s a job well done! Piece o’ cake.” She combed back her bangs.

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by Haine

Freyd examined the <<snake venom>> they had each received as a reward for slaying the Amphis Serpens.  "Not overly potent, but sometimes DOT is just what you need."  He slipped it back into his storage.  "Hey, Kil, do you think you might be able to use this stuff to spice up some dishes?"  Anticipating Haine to react to the suggestion, he took the opportunity to whisper a message to Kiluia. "We should have a talk, later, about what happened today."  Without missing a beat, he went back to defending the culinary possibilities of snake juice, sparing only a look for his friend, implying that he might know something about the feelings that had afflicted him during their recent battle.

It wasn't that he didn't believe Kil would share his secret trauma with Haine.  She seemed like the type to be help with that kind of pain, and he'd seen first hand how close they were.  Sometimes, it was just impossible to share it with someone who had no frame of reference.  Freyd had tons of experience with pain, and darkness.

@Kiluia Seiko

He looked at the item in question that dropped from the fight. A quick shrug was given as he looked over at Freyd. “I’m not sure if the snake venom is something that can be transmuted to assist in cooking. I have heard of a lot of tribes outside this game using venom to give almost a numbing effect on the tongue, but it does not hinder their taste bud.” It seemed that he had recovered from the trauma. He tucked the item inside his inventory.

Freyd’s whisper did not go unnoticed. A slight nod was given to his fellow guildmate. He did have to explain the issue he had undergone and why he initially freaked out about what had happened. A slight sigh was given before he looked at the two.  “Good job you two. Swing by for dinner sometime Freyd. I will cook you up something nice. Maybe I’ll attempt my own version of a steak or something similar to braised lamb.”

Haine quirked a brow. Venom, in cooking? It didn't sound that appetizing, a little out there. Kiluia, however, seemed fond of the idea. She sealed her lips shut. If he was eager about it, then she would just have to try it as well. The white haired man seemed to recover slightly from the shock, carying the conversation along. She matched their strides, tuning out as the others conversed. She enjoyed listening to them go on, the idle chit chat and all. It was nice to see that the two got along so well.

As for her, the heat was kicking in again. Haine scrunched her nose and fanned at her nape. They had to wrap this up before she melted into a puddle once more. She brought out another water bottle and chugged it at record speed. She poured some onto her neck, sighing in relief as the wind blew cool against it. Whilst the two wrapped things up, she was there complaining about the heat as per usual.

THREAD COMPLETE

Kiluia - 6 SP (1 PAGE, 3 QUEST, 1 BONUS, YUI'S GRACE) + 200 COL, + SNAKE VENOM

Freyd - 5 SP (1 PAGE, 3 QUEST, 1 BONUS) + 200 COL, + SNAKE VENOM

Haine - 5 SP (1 PAGE, 3 QUEST, 1 BONUS) + SNAKE VENOM

Edited by Haine