[PP / F02] Long Live the Queen

For the first time since joining Firm Anima the young, raven haired girl had found herself staring at the guild hall. Curious kyanite orbs followed the complicated stonework as it led into a cavernous entrance. Unfortunately, Asmura was not here to see the guild hall and as much as she wanted to wander in and explore there was no time for that. Instead she took another glace at the crumpled piece of paper in her hand. Bringing it up she quickly glanced between the paper and guild hall. On the paper was a crudely drawn map that Vie had provided her so that she could find one of the Merchant Masters of the Guild, Megitsune. It was not in Asmura's nature to seek out new people and interact, but this time was different. This time she was determined to step out of her comfort zone. Vie had also informed her that Megitsune wears a white, smooth fox mask and that she rarely shows her face. Asmura did not ask why the girl chose to do that, but she wouldn't lie that there was part of her that was slightly curious. I wonder what kind of person she is. Only one way to find out. 

Taking a long, lung filled breath and then exhaling she felt the worry leave her body. She was always anxious about meeting new people, and this was no different. However, Asmura really wanted to take on a quest with Megitsune. Asmura had heard that the girl was strong, and she had a lot to learn about being strong. Plus, she was part of the guild and it was important for the young girl to know everyone in the guild, even if it was just a little bit. Once more staring up the guild hall she then took off as the map directed. According to Vie Megitsune lived next to the guild, so she should not be too hard to find. Well, maybe it was. The map showed a path the winded up a hill to the side of the guild. Sighing, Asmura started to walk. It wasn't long before a red, corner pointed roof came into view. That's it! Knowing that she was almost there she sped up and soon found herself at the opening to a of the shire. Cautiously, Asmura wandered in. "H-h-hello," Asmura called into the emptiness of the shop, "I-i-s Megitsune here?"

-------------------------------

Spoiler

Name: Asmura
Level: 01
HP: 20/20
EN: 2/2

Stats:
Damage: 2
Accuracy: 3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Curved Sword | DAM: 2
Armor: Light Armor | MIT

Edited by Asmura

The usual day of work in this stupid shop was all Megitsune had to do today. Gaius seemed rather inactive lately, not wanting to do anymore quests and four-eyes was busy power leveling his way into the front lines with those two people he knew from some time ago. While she was glad that they boy was getting his friends back, she couldn't help but be a bit overwhelmed by the sudden explosion of new faces in the guild. She had originally joined Firm Anima because it seemed like a quiet but helpful guild, and now it was filled with a bunch of gung-ho newbies that just left the Town of Beginnings. Stressful to say the least.

Upstairs, she hears the door open. With a sigh, she drops the boxes of merchandise that she was carrying. A loud thud could be heard from the ceiling that Asmura had over head. Meanwhile, a white fox with beautiful fur charged at the young girl. Fire blew from it's nostril in small puffs as it took a seat in front of the girl, expecting a pet. That was when the masked woman came down from the ceiling, not even using the provided ladder that leads to the next floor. Erecting to full height, which was barely taller than little girl that was in her shop. Noticing her, the Kitsune's eyes strained, she groaned in annoyance.

"What do you want kid? I don't have time to babysit anyone. If you want a babysitter, I suggest finding Haine." The girl went over to the counter, expecting the child to not really listen to her. It was then she noticed her familiar begging for pets. "Amai, yame. Careful, she'll light you on fire if she sneezes. The fire is hotter than the sun." She wouldn't be responsible for anyone getting hurt in her shop and losing her business.

Spoiler

Name: Megitsune
Level: 20
HP: 400/400
EN: 40/40

Stats:
Damage: 11
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 3
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Obsidian Scythe: DMG III
Armor: Kitsu-mono: EVA I; Rec: II
Misc: Kitsune Mask: ACC III

Skills:
Two-Handed Battle Axe [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter

Mods:
Finesse Rank 3

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleportation Crystal*1

Housing Buffs:
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Without warning a 'bang' resounded throughout the shire. It was so unexpected that it caused the young girl to jump slightly as cautious orbs darted out the room. Out of her corner of her eye something started toward her. Out of habit more than anything Asmura took a couple steps back, sifted, and then placed a loose grip on the curved sword. As her gaze narrowed on the thing approaching her, she stopped and released the sword as if it were a hot potato. In front of her was a white furred fox with ruby red eyes. For a split second all that could be done was stare. The white fox was just staring; almost like it wanted something. So, focused on the white fox she had not noticed the other person join her in the room. Startled by the sudden appearance of a voice she turns her attention who she assumed was Megitsune. The greeting that had been voiced was to be expected if what she heard from the other guild members was true. 

"I-I-I'm not," Asmura stated, her voice rattling slightly, "b-but thanks for the recommendation." Her gaze was drawn back to the fox in front of her. She a was beautiful, elegant creature and the thought of sneezing made the raven-haired girl smile slight. Not one to deny an animal attention she simply stepped to the side of the animal and proceeded to gentle stroke her fur. Not having her gaze on Megitsune assisted with calming her nerves. She decided to focus on the way the fur felt between her fingers and mounting her courage again. It was better to address her with some sort of confidence. "I-I'm actually here for you. I was hoping you would take a quest with me?" Her confidence grew with every word. It was difficult to keep it going, but the worst that could happen was that Megitsune would say "no" and that would be that. It would not harm her in any way. She would not die. Plus, if Megitsune had such a sweet familiar Asmura chose to believe that she could not be that bad. However, she had been wrong before. Only one way to find out. 

The white fox cuddled to the young girl's hand, swooning over the attention that she was providing. Her nine tails wagged behind her in content. Fire expelled from the kitsune's mouth and nose as it breathed, blue flames what Asmura could feel the heat of just near her face. Meanwhile, the store owner groaned.

"Amai!" She said a bit sternly. The fox stood up to its feet and fled behind the counter where Megitsune was standing. Now face to mask with the tiny girl, the Fox sneers behind her mask. She was obviously a total noobie, not that she herself was a front liner or anything, but still. The presentation of her wanting to do a quest was interesting. Things were getting somewhat boring around without Gaius to do quests with.

After a minute of silence between the two of them, Megitsune returns to the entrance she had jumped down, jumped back up the hole and came back with a massive scythe attached to her back. She was now wearing a long black silk kimono, a bracelet with an insignia that she wouldn't be able to recognize on her wrist. "We'll see what you can do then. I don't coddle the weak, so if you want to travel with me, you'd better show every intention in your heart and wear it like a badge proudly. Don't hide under doubt like you're a child hiding from a monster under your sheets. You stand to that monster and show it that you aren't one to be fucked with."

Her language wouldn't be held even for a pre-teen. She wasn't saved a happy childhood, so she wasn't going to go easy on anyone. The girl sent her a friend request and began to lead the party out of her house with her familiar in tow. "Hurry, or I'll leave you behind and you'll have to find your own way there."

As the young girl was running her fingers thought the stunning, white fur she waited for Megitsune to say something. Well, say anything really. Forgetting to pay attention to the creature in front of her she was caught by surprise when dazzling blue flames erupted from the kitsune's nostrils. The heat radiated against tan skin causing Asmura to jerk her hand back roughtly. Apparently, the other girl was paying more attention than she was because the creatures name—now known as Amai—echoed through the room in a harsh tone. Luckily, the fox had not been able to do any real damage. Frowning, but also slightly relieved, Asmura finely turned to face the older girl. What stared back was an ivory fox mask with a red smile and blank eyes. It was slightly unnerving to be unable to see Megitsune's expression. 

Without a word the raven-haired girl started to leave the room. Curious, the young girl waited to see if the other player would return. Taking quick glances around the shop she was drawn back to the entrance by a pair of light footsteps. Megitsune had appeared. Not only had she appeared, but she was wielding a menacing looking scythe over her shoulder. Asmura took this as a yes and smiled to herself. The smile quickly faded after Megitsune's mouth opened. More unsure than anything Asmura narrowed her eyes in thought. What Megitsune was basically asking her to do was be true to herself and be courageous, right? As the young raven-haired girl thought about it more that was the conclusion that made the most sense. 

Megitsune's sharp tone cut through her thought process like a knife. Perking up the mention of having to find her own way Asmura rushed after the other female. Despite everything excitement was starting to bubble up. It was time for another adventure with a potential new friend. Getting the feeling that Megitusune was not the one for small talk Asmura decided to keep conversation quest related--at least for the moment. "So, I was thinking Long Live the Queen on the second floor." Asmura stated in a matter-of-fact tone, "What do you think?" 

"It's not about what I think, it's about what you want." Megitsune said plainly, making her way down the path from her shrine and towards the city of Coral, where the two could use the teleporter to go back down to the second floor. It was clear already that this girl wasn't too sure about being around her. Chiaki was always one to scare people off before they even got the chance to know her. She didn't mess with bullshit anymore after her time in school. If pushing everyone away was the only way to keep herself sane, then it was small price to pay.

Though, like she had done with Raidou, maybe she could show this newbie something about being confident in herself. "You are young for this type of game. I imagine you couldn't get this game easily. I think the rating for teenagers. Anyway, don't let your age screw your perception of what you are capable of in this world. Everyone here is on the same level. No one is better than anyone else. The only thing that separates me from you is the amount of time we've spent leveling. If you were my level, we would be equals."

The phrase had caught Asmura off guard as it bounced around her head like a bouncy ball. This had not been what was expected at all. Then again, she had not been sure what to expect. What she had heard from others in the guild felt different than what was being experienced. While the older girl seemed a little off-putting at first the young girl started to sense that there was some warmth there. Smiling slightly to herself she caught up so that she was walking in stride with her adventure partner. As her gaze wandered around to take in the setting around them Megitsune started to speak again. Attentively, Asmura listened to what was said. 

If Asmura had heard right it sounded like Megitsune was encouraging her and telling her to have confidence in herself. At some point in her life she was sure that confidence radiated from her being like a brilliant light. It had been loud and bold. Now everything was different though. The confidence that she was quiet and internal. It could be gathered and piece together like the shards of a broken mirror only to be broken once again. There was no surprise that Megitsune had noticed that about her right away. Smiling softly, Asmura locked her hand behind her back as they walked. "M-m-my parents bought it for me." Asmura softly stated, careful to keep her eyes forward, "And I think I understand what you’re saying. In this game, age is number. It does not determine your ability or strength. Despite what everyone else says." Players that she had met, and some that she had never met, would make comments about a kid playing SAO. "You have a lot of wisdom for someone who can't be much older than me." 

Edited by Asmura

Being analyzed always felt weird. It was true that she was somewhat young to be acting so wise, but she had experienced a lot in her short life. Dealing with bullshit was something that she couldn't get around. Awkward exchanged and bullying weren't something that she could get behind.

"I'm just a person that has lived my life removing the unnecessarily stupid things from my experiences and taking out those that make me strong. If you do that, then this game cannot conquer you." Megitsune replied entering Coral's safe zone and heading up to the teleportation portal. Once they arrived, Megitsune stepped up to the plaza and looked down Asmura. "You should know how to use these by now. Floor 2, Urbus." The girl said. With a flash of light, she disappeared to the second floor.

She wouldn't wait long for Asmura to keep up. When they left the shrine, she did warn her that she would leave her behind if she didn't keep up.

In a flash of florescent blue light Megitsune was gone. Despite what was said Asmura wondered if the older girl would really leave her. Then again, based on the short interactions that had been had it dawned on her that she would. If the young girl had learned anything it was the Megitsune was brutally honest. A rush of unbridled fear surged up at the thought of being left behind. As soon as the teleport gate quieted down Asmura quickly stepped in, "Floor 2, Urbus." There was a moment where the brilliant blue flooded her vision. Soon other colors started to intermix and wiz past. A vivid memory of SAO loading for the very first time entered her mind’s eye. The initial amount of anxiety--and excitement--was what made the memory so vivid. Well that the image of her mom and dad standing there waving as she went under. 

As the memory started to fade so did the vision of colors. It took a moment for her eye so readjust to the sudden light that was shining down. Stepping out of the teleport gate a quick glance was taken at the surrounding area. This was about the second time Asmura had been to the second floor. Still, it dazzled her mind and brought forth memories of her mom teaching her about the Middle Ages. Shaking her head slightly, her gaze then started to wander searching for the familiar fox masked girl. Although there were not that may people it still took a moment to locate Megitsune. The older girl was not too far away. Starting to job she went to catch up. As she started walking side-by-side her gaze maneuvered around. "The NPC w-w-with the quest 'Long Live the Queen' should be around here somewhere." Asmura wondered out loud, "Have you done this quest before?" 

• 2 months later...

Megitsune's eyes were set forward. There wasn't an NPC they really had to speak to get the quest started, they only needed to approach the location the boss spawned in to begin. When Asmura caught up to the fox, she simply looked down that the the girl with her beating red eyes through her mask.

"No, there's no one we need talk to begin. I have yet to do the quest, so it's beneficial for me to join you. I can make sure that you don't get yourself killed and gain experience at the same time. I can tell you're pretty low level and I'd like to assume you're below the double digit levels." The fox said as the made there way out of the boundaries of the safe zone. If Asmura was as weak as she thought, she would be doing practically all the work in this case. That was fine by her. She wasn't going to let someone die on a quest no matter how weak they were, but that didn't mean she would baby them.

As the beady, crimson orbs stared down the young player couldn’t help but feel a shiver run up and down her spine. While the girl under the mask appeared serious and well, nice enough, it was the crimson orbs that were truly off putting. She remembered times where she was falling asleep in her warm comfy bed and images of the same red eyes would float to the top of her mind’s eye; startling her awake and making sleep unobtainable, but those were different days. Now, she was a wasn’t afraid. Now she had the ability to fight and be strong.

As Megitusune mentioned that Asmura appeared to be below the double digits she nodded in confirmation. Just measly level 1. Hopefully, one day she would make the big leagues. “Only level one,” Asmura stated, neither proud nor disappointment, “Hopefully, I’ll be in the double digits one day. "At that she grinned at fox-faced girl. The duo then made their way out of the boundaries of the safe zone and toward their destination. It shouldn’t be too far now.  "How long have you been in the guild anyway?"