[PP-02] <<Venomous Warg>> - Heart of a Child

Freyd had been chatting up Gatsly for several hours now, scolding him for repeatedly abandoning his same caravan and trying to sell him a new caravan security service he'd been developing.  The paunchy merchant looked even more distraught than he was already supposed to be.  The writhing field of shadows engulfing his cowled form gave him the appearance of some sort of dark specter.

"Dude!  You KNOW that the wolves and wargs are coming - because they always respawn.  I know.  I've killed them three times for you now."  The NPC's dialogue options were rather limited and its AI was struggling with the extended interaction, looping back around and around to the same responses.  Freyd's aggravation growing with every loop.

"But, but... my poor family...I don't have much but could reward you."

"GAH!"  Freyd threw up his hands.  "You can't plead poverty and offer payment in the same sentence.  That's just... illogical!  Now, if we placed guards here, here and here..." A small mock-up of the caravan site had been constructed using bar and table fare, including an assortment of utensils, glasses and frilly umbrellas in a wide assortment of colours, now pressed into service as tactical markers.  The scene was reminiscent of a full-blown wolf-warg vendetta taken to extremes.

@Asmura

(Freyd consumes Yue's Grace)

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 44
HP: 900/900
EN: 88/88

Stats:
Damage: 16
Mitigation: 18
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 4
KEEN:1
HLY:2
BLD:12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Forgiven Disobedience (T1-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Skin of Fallen Shadows (T2-LA, EVA 3)
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 4]
Searching [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Turkish March *2
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik*5
Super-Duper Snake Sauce*2

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild: n/a

Wedding Ring: n/a

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Without any specific destination Asmura meandered around the second floor of SAO. Keeping to the shadows of the street the young girl simply observed as player after player walked by. Not many of them paid any attention to the girl on the side of the street, and that was okay. The less attention the better. Feeling herself start to slowly become overwhelmed by the amount of players that were occupying the street the raven-haired girl ducked into a nearby tavern and took a deep, lung filled breath. That breath was short lived as "GAH!" startled Asmura out of her focused state. Immediately kyanite orbs were drawn to the corner of the tavern. There, a strange man standing in the corner of the pub yelling exasperatedly another person. Edging closer to the duo it dawned on her that the other person was an NPC. It appeared that the male had hassled the NPC enough that it was starting to struggle with responses. 

As Asmura heard the man shout about how pleading poverty and offering payment in the same sentence was illogical she couldn't help it. It was such an odd situation that he giggles slowly started to leak past her closed lips. Then the giggles came. They overflowed out of her like a broken dam as she attempted to stifle them with hand over her mouth. But they were persistent. Quickly, still attempting to block the sound, Asmura stepped behind a table and attempted to hide from sight. 

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Spoiler

Name: Asmura
Level: 04
HP: 80/80
EN: 8/8

Stats:
Damage: 2
Mitigation: 11
EVA: 1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Frostbound [OHCS] DAM: 3
Armor: Suit of Light MIT: 2 EVA: 1
Trinket: Frostlass Hoop Earrings ACC: 3

Housing Buffs:
Bedroom: Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat

From the shadows beneath the bar, a pair of strange, horizontally-slotted eyes the colour of a clear cerulean sky opened lazily and stared at Asmura with amused demeanor.  They tilted slightly, as one might expect to see from a confused puppy, and then started gliding silently across the floor in her direction.  It was particularly odd to see an amorphous field of shadow emerge from those beneath the bar.  This thing wasn't hiding in the shadows.  It WAS shadow, albeit without the sinister malevolence that usually accompanied such creatures.  A foursome of paw-like appendages and tiny ear-like buds were vaguely visible, as if it had a preference for form without actually being tied to it.  The void-thing closed to within a hand's length of her and sniffed in her direction, as if assessing her character by smell alone.

"What have you found, Persi?"  The voice was cold, but not harsh, and came from just outside of Asmura's peripheral vision.  The man was there, himself wreathed in roiling shadow, save a hollow beneath his cowl.  He reached up and lowered the covering, exposing a tussled tangle of plain brown hair and largely unassuming facial features.  Only the brownish eyes tinged with a slight tone of red carried any hint of distinction, and even they looked wide and naively innocent.

"I don't imagine that you'll get much service down here," Freyd suggested, smiling slightly.  His eyes motioned towards the table above them, implying that they should carry on their conversation above.

The giggling abruptly stopped as a shiver ran up her spine. The feeling of a penetrating stare caused kyanite orbs darted back and forth to figure out who was watching. Then there was movement. Her head whipped around causing her hair to lightly smack her in the face.  Narrowed orbs slowly widen as fear started to sink its sticky claws into her brain. It was not a who that was watching, it was a what. As the thing continued to materialize and ever slowly get closer Asmura was frozen. Holding still as statue wide eyes watched as the beast placed its nose close to her. Then there was small "whiff." It was smelling her. From above a hollow voice addressed what had to be the creature. As if the creature--whom she assumed was name Persi--wasn't enough of a surprise a face suddenly appeared form above the table. If her muscles weren't frozen stiff from fear the young girl probably would have fallen over. 

The older male addressed her, making a joke about not being able to get service under the table. It was as if the joke had carved a hole in the tension that she had been feeling. As the fear subsided cautious orbs glanced quickly as Persi. Steadily the feeling started to inch it ways back into her muscles. The small body cautiously maneuvered around so that she was on the opposite side of the male. On the opposite side of the table the brown-haired male would have seen a charcoal haired head appear before turning around to reveal a round face with large, stormy gray eyes and ears adorned with wide silver hoop earrings.

"R-r-right," Asmura murmured, eyes finally swiveling up to make brief eye contact with the male, "I'mAsmura!" Quick as a flash of lighting her gaze dropped to the floor. Round cheeks quickly started to flush rose red as the young girl struggled to manage her words. Feeling the need to do something with the nervous energy small hands started to fiddle with the hem of the white Ainu coat. 

"Asmura," Freyd repeated, his voice neutral and almost distant, as if querying some kind of mental database.  "I know you.  Firm Anima, right?  We're in the same guild.  I've heard Vie and Kiluia mention your name."  He motioned to the barista for a cup of himself, then extended an offer for her to place an order for herself.  "Fellow guild members get their first meal here for free, my treat, but for today only."  

Despite the intimidating appearance of his shadowy armor and cowl, there was something disarming about his simple features and manner.  There was a disarming calmness to his voice that countered his considerably more lethal appearance.    Freyd had recently been made captain of the Operations and Intelligence division of the guild, though few people seemed able to explain what that actually meant.  The contrast before her made for an interesting mix.

"Are you here for Gatsly's quest," he asked while she pondered her options.  She hadn't chosen a division yet, if the latest rumours were true.  This would be a good opportunity to gauge her abilities.  "I can tag along, if you don't mind the company."

• 2 weeks later...

The rosy flush that had made it way to her cheeks remained when the male had mentioned that they were in the same guild, and that Vie and Kiluia had been talking about her. Knowing both of the players it was going to be in a positive light. However, it was still embarrassing. Hearing that the first meal was free though was enough to flood the small being with excitement; allowing the embarrassment that was felt to be negated. Eager eyes roamed about the menu while listening to the player across the table order. Now it was her turn. "I-I'll have the K-k-katsudon," Asmura stammered quickly and quietly, while showing the waiter the item on the menu, "And...m-m-milk. Please!" With a nod the waiter took the menu and walked back to the counter to place the order. 

With nothing to block their view of each other, and the embarrassment stifled, Asmura found herself able to make fleeting eye contact with the older male. The fleeting glances were enough to take in the key features of the other player. Solid brown, kind of messy hair. Wide eyes. Shadowy armor and cowl that slightly hid his face. He seemed friendly enough, but calm like the water before a storm. He would probably be able to feel the curious gaze examining him. Hearing him ask about the quest forced her gaze to travel to the NPC that he had been harassing earlier. Despite being preprogrammed with responses it still appeared to be nervously glancing at the male. "I, um, I-I-I don't mind the company." Asmura smiled bashfully. In all honestly, there had been no intention of taking the quest, but with nothing better to do it seemed like a fun idea. Knowing that she would be traveling with the other player she attempted to steel the chaotic nerves in bouncing in her stomach by taking a large, deep breath and letting it out through her nose. "B-By the way, what sh-should I call you?" 

Edited by Asmura

Another careworn smile crossed his face, reflected in the sloping of the edges of his eyes.  Behind those eyes, an incisive analytical mind was scrutinizing every inch of Asmura's appearance, gauging her mannerisms and speech pattern.  Past experiences had taught Freyd not to dismiss child-like avatars an harmless, or to treat the players behind them as cute and innocent by default.  It was a regrettably all-too-common trap in SAO.  The detail in her appearance was impressive for such a new player, which triggered his suspicions. 

Damn... sometimes, I hate having to think this way.

"You can call me Freyd," he replied pleasantly.  Picking up a half-finished, barely-steaming cup of vanilla-scented coffee, he clinked his mug against the edge of Asmura's cup of milk.  Taking a long draught, he finished what remained just as the barista provided him the refill he had requested.  Appropriate compensation was quickly and subtly transferred to avoid distracting from their conversation.

"If you don't mind my saying the obvious: you seem a little young," he added bluntly for effect.  Asmura likely got that line a lot and he was curious to see her reaction.  He extended her a party invitation a half-breath later, waiting to see how a brief barrage of input would be handled.

A large decorated bowl of soft white rice with a breaded pork chop was placed on the table with a tall glass of cold milk. It was like Christmas had come early. With a light "click" the two tapped glasses and then it was time to eat. Without any further hesitation Asmura started to eagerly eat the gift before her. It had not been too long since she had had a good meal thanks to Kiluia, but food was at the top of her favorites list. As a forkful of rice and pork where stuffed into her mouth the male, now known as Freyd, ask the question that everyone asked. It made her all too aware that Freyd's wide, innocent gaze was intently focused on her. I must look like a wild animal. Slow. DownForcing herself to place the fork down the young girl took a moment to finish chewing. "Yep. I-I probably am," Asmura commented, smiling sheepishly while accepting the party request, "M-my parents bought me the g-g-game. I was sup-p-ose to meet someone here, but I don't know if th-th-they ever made it..." At least I hope Mrs. Freedman didn't make it. 

While the answer was full of truth it was only half of the equation. The truth was that SAO was supposed to a place to receive some sort of therapy that would allow her to exit the house without having a panic attack.  However, that was not something that Freyd would know...at least not now. Although, if one would to observe the young girl now, they would probably never guess that stepping outside of the house had been a struggle for her. Since being stuck in SAO more progress had been made than she ever though. Her parents would be so proud of her. "So, Freyd, how long have you been part of the guild? Also, do you want some?" 

Edited by Asmura

"The guild... huh..." he tapped his fingers rapidly on the table as he sorted through the massive number of things that seemed to have occurred recently.  "I guess it's been about five weeks or so now."  Wide eyes suggested that he hardly believed it had already been that long.  Life had certainly been quite the flurry of activity since then.  He sipped at his new cup of coffee absentmindedly, until recalling that he was not alone.  "Thanks," he added, snaring a pair of chop sticks from the bar and flicking a bit of pork right into his mouth.

"I like your look, by the way."  Freyd pointed to Asmura's large hoop earrings and decorative bandana.  "You took some care with that, I think."  He winked at her, appreciating the assumed effort.  It was odd, but where he was inevitably cold and awkward with just about everyone, Freyd seemed fully capable of being a normal human being around kids.  

"Do you have a weapon yet,' he asked casually, choosing not to berate Asmura with a barrage of pointless invasive questions that would just make him seem like an insensitive jerk.  She was going to live through anything Cardinal put in front of her.  He was going to ensure it.  All she needed was a proper start.

For just a moment after the question was posed it appeared that Freyd had become lost. Then the small, curious girl across the table observed as the realization that came over his features. Based on their short interaction the impression had been that maybe he had been part of the guild since starting the game, but nope. Only five weeks. As her thoughts started to linger on what it would be like to be part of the guild for longer than, well, a couple weeks her attention was drawn back to the present by another question.  At the mention of her appearance, as well as the wink, another rosy pink hue took over warm beige skin. Quickly, as an effort to hide the embarrassment, a large piece of pork shoved in her mouth. Although, hiding the blush would have been hard. The warm, pink tone against the light-colored skin would have been obvious to anyone watching. After a moment of chewing, a small "T-Thanks" could be heard from across the table.

Lucky for her, another question popped up. One about weapons. "Oh! Yeah," Asmura stated, giddiness overtaking her as she placed the katsudon down and reached to her left side. In one swift motion the curved sword that decorated her hip was drawn and then carefully laid on the table. The metal glistened as the light hit it showing off the snowflake design that had been embedded in the blade. If one were to look closer at the blade every snowflake appeared to be different than the next. Almost like real snow. Pride radiating off Asmura cheekily smiled at Freyd, "Its name is Frostbound. I got it as a gift from Kiluia. Pretty cool, right? "

Edited by Asmura

Carefully picking up the blade, Freyd turned it over a few times, then grabbed the hilt and thrust it out firmly in a safe direction.  Grunting his agreement, he tossed the blade up into the air, catching it by the inside face of the curve, tilting it down so that Asmura could again grasp it properly.  It felt oddly like handing a pair of scissors to a child.  "A fine gift.  I know Kiluia well.  He doesn't disappoint, does he?"

Once he relinquished her weapon back to her, he summoned his own blade to hand.  Nearly five feet long, its bleached white straight blade glimmered, even in the tavern's dim light.  It was almost as if it radiated its own.  Twin barbs were set about six inches below a rather gaudy golden guard and hilt wrapped in blood red cloth and decorated with some form of filigree.  "It's called Forgiven Disobedience, and it was also given to me unexpectedly.  I guess that means we've both been blessed with good friends and generosity.  What say we go introduce them to some bad guys," he glanced back at her plate, "once you've finished your meal, of course."

Vanity Tag: @Kiluia Seiko

Wide kyanite orbs shined with glee as Freyd demonstrated his ability to maneuver and wield a sword. It was like watching a juggler at the circus. Well, at least what she assumed it was like to watch a juggler at a circus. In all actuality Asmura had never been to the circus, but there were enough videos online to at least know what it should look like; and it had to be just like that. As the curved sword was offered back small hands carefully grabbed the hilt and the blade was smoothly placed back in the hilt. Asmura didn't even have to ask about Freyd's weapon. Without hesitation the male had summoned a large, bleached white blade that was larger than Asmura herself. He informed her it was called "Forgiven Disobedience." The weapon was itself was intimidating but paired with the garb that Freyd was adorned in made a complete picture. Whoever or whatever was on the other side of the blade was in trouble; and soon that was going to be an enemy Warg. 

Hearing that they could leave after the food was gone caused the young girl to kick it back into high gear. In what appeared to be a single breath the rest of the katsudon was devoured. The cold milk that had been to the halfway point of the glass was finished off in once solid chug. "Done," Asmura grinned, wiping off the leftover milk to the top of her lip, "Let's go fight some bad guys!" 

Freyd had done this quest more than enough times to know where to find the wargs.  He was more interested and seeing how Asmura would fare in her survival skills.  She seemed bright and alert, but he wanted to see those traits put to the test.  Urging her forward, he walked with his sword leaning casually on his shoulder, a few paces behind her.  

"I've already done this quest, but this is a good opportunity for you to stretch your legs.  Be prepared - they will appear as a group of four.  Don't hold back when you see them.  They won't give you any breaks if you hesitate."

It felt weird, acting like some sort of parental drill sergeant, and strutting around like he was suddenly some kind of an expert.  There was still so much about this game he didn't know.  Soon enough, it would be him in Asmura's shoes being grilled and evaluated by the elites on the front lines.  Knowing his luck, he'd likely fail spectacularly on his first strike.  It always seemed to work out that way.  

Good luck, kid.  

Fearlessly Asmura took point and lead the duo further into the wilds of the floor. Well, she tried to appear as fearless as possible. In all actuality butterflies were chaotically fluttering around her stomach and with each step they seemed to increase. This was normal though. One half of the equation was that Freyd was still an unfamiliar player. The other half was that she wanted to do well and make sure that she impressed. It was her dream to be on the front lines standing in solidarity with the members of Firm Anima; seen as an equal to her peers and a threat to the enemy.   

For several more minutes they wandered. With each step the sunlight seemed to fade as the forest became dim and dense. Suddenly, a loud rumbling growl resonated through the forest. It was followed by the low grovel of at least three others. Then there was a flurry of sound as feet hit the padded forest floor. Before Asmura was even aware they were surrounded. Large beasts - probably bigger than her - surrounded the duo and made their home in the depths of trees. They didn't show themselves outright. It was time. Just like before a deep breath was taken and slowly let out. Kyanite orbs narrowed in concentration as the battle began. Honing on one of the creatures Asmura started forward toward one of the wolves that had stilled for just a second too long. As her feet hit the forest floor, she placed a small hand on the hilt of the sword and seconds before she was before the creature her sword was drawn. It slashed across in a wide arch, but the wolf had already moved on from the spot. Now a couple feet away from Freyd she took a moment to pause and reevaluate the situation. 

~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

167058 2 4 17 8 Asmura Msg_hover2.png Basic skill vs wolf#1

BD: 2+3=5  (Miss)

>Received Potion from Gatsly.

Players:

Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows Freyd | HP: 900/900 | DAM: 16 | MIT: 18 | EVA: 3 |  ACC: 4 |  KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12 | HATE: 0/0/0/0

Asmura Asmura | HP: 80/80 | EN: 6/8 | DAM: 2 | MIT: 11 | EVA: 1 | HATE: 0/0/0/0

Enemies

Wolf#1 | HP: 40/40 | DMG: 25

Wolf#2 | HP: 40/40 | DMG: 25

Wolf#3 | HP: 40/40 | DMG: 25

Venom Snapper | HP: 150 | DMG: 35 | Critical DMG (MD 9-10): 50 | EVA: 1|

Edited by Asmura

"No, wait!  Don't - "  It was too late.  By moving away from him, Asmura had innocently weakened their defenses and exposed both of them to attack.  He would be fine, but the beasts would pounce the moment they sensed and opening.  Slashing wildly to buy time to move closer to her, he also had to aim high to get over her head.  One of the wolves was caught off guard and practically exploded from the strength of the strike.  Its death infuriated the venom snapper, which went into a frenzied rage, lashing out at both of them.  He was fortunate enough to dodge, but a cry of pain behind him told him that Asmura hadn't been so lucky.  Good thing she had that armor.

"Get behind me, and hold your attack,' he said calmly, intending to keep her from panicking.  Now was not the time to make any additional mistakes.  "Show them that you are not afraid, Asmura."  The remaining wolves and their alpha resumed their predatory circling.

"They will attack whichever target they see as the greatest threat.  My actions were clumsy and have put you in danger.  Let me get their focus back on me."

Spoiler

image.png.ef889a2331a53d6be7e22ec7fbcdb0d2.png

Asmura | HP: 56/80 (-24) | EN: 6/8 | DAM: 2 | MIT: 11 | EVA: 1 
Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:900/900 | EN:82/88 | DMG:16 | MIT:18 | EVA:3 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12

Tempest (x8 AoE + 2 for hits): 10 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3) = 6 EN

BD: 9 (crit +1, holy 2, bleed 12).  Freyd deals (176 + 12 bleed = 188) damage to Wolf #1.  Killed.  Feral Strike triggers.
BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Wolf #2
BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Wolf #3
BD: 2 + 4 -1 = 5 (miss).  Freyd misses Venom Snapper.

MD: 1 (miss).  Wolf #2 misses Freyd.
MD: 3 - 3 = 0 (miss).  Wolf #3 misses Freyd.
MD: 7 - 3 = 4 (miss).  Venom Snapper misses Freyd.
MD: 7 - 1 = 6 (hit).  Venom Snapper deals (35 - 11 = 24) damage to Asmura.

(0,0,0,0) Wolf#1 | HP: 0/40 | DMG: 25 (40-188)
(0,0,0,0) Wolf#2 | HP: 40/40 | DMG: 25
(0,0,0,0) Wolf#3 | HP: 40/40 | DMG: 25
(0,0,0,0) Venom Snapper | HP: 150 | DMG: 35 | Critical DMG (MD 9-10): 50 | EVA: 1|

Venomous Bite: Natural MD of 9-10 poisons the target, dealing 10 unmitigatable damage at the start of their turn for 3 turns.
Feral Strike: Every time a <<Wolf>> is slain, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next attack becomes AoE. This ability can stack (if 2 wolves die at the same time, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next 2 attacks become AoE). “Venomous Bite” can still trigger on AoE attacks.

It was obvious to Asmura that in that moment a mistake had been made. Sword still up curious eyes observed as Freyd started toward her. In what felt like a flash he was there. Looming before her and sword swinging. There was even a point where the older male had swung over her head to attack an enemy. It was apparent that the successful attack on one of their own had made the venom snapper upset as her lashed at them with fang and nail. Unfortunately, Asmura was not quick enough to defend herself as its claws raked through her shoulder. Automatically as small gasp past her lips as an uncomfortable feeling radiated from the scratch. It did not hurt--luckily the pain sensors in SAO were turned down--but the shock of the attack was enough. Without hesitation the older male placed his form in front of her and told her to hold the attack. He appeared to be calm as a clam. There was some temptation to attack anyway; to risk it all to win the fight. Despite that feeling Asmura held firm. Freyd was obviously more experienced in fighting and the smartest step would be to listen to him. The curved sword remained raised, but no attack was launched. If one watched close enough they would see the small hand the gripped the curved sword shaking ever-so slightly. This was the first time that the young girl had sustained such a hit.

"Got it," Asmura stated, eyes narrowed in concentration, "I'm sorry about rushing in." It won't happen again.  

~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

Attack being held

Asmura | HP: 56/80 | EN: 6/8 | DAM: 2 | MIT: 11 | EVA: 1 
Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:900/900 | EN:82/88 | DMG:16 | MIT:18 | EVA:3 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12

(0,0,0,0) Wolf#1 | HP: 0/40 | DMG: 25 (40-188)
(0,0,0,0) Wolf#2 | HP: 40/40 | DMG: 25
(0,0,0,0) Wolf#3 | HP: 40/40 | DMG: 25
(0,0,0,0) Venom Snapper | HP: 150 | DMG: 35 | Critical DMG (MD 9-10): 50 | EVA: 1|

Venomous Bite: Natural MD of 9-10 poisons the target, dealing 10 unmitigatable damage at the start of their turn for 3 turns.
Feral Strike: Every time a <<Wolf>> is slain, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next attack becomes AoE. This ability can stack (if 2 wolves die at the same time, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next 2 attacks become AoE). “Venomous Bite” can still trigger on AoE attacks.

"Good effort, Asmura, but you're still a little squishy for that kind of courage," Freyd replied without criticism.  He actually admired the girl's daring, but it was reckless, and his own stumble had made things worse.  Thank goodness nothing more than a nip had come from it.  Not willing to risk the pack focusing their attention on her again, he thought it best to end the encounter swiftly.

Summoning the power for a sword art, he unleashed a series of blazing white strikes that lashed at everything in front him, sending leaves, branches and shard-like bits of wolf and snapper flying through the air away from them.  It lasted only an instant, but then the scene was clear.

Freyd was on his knee a moment later, checking the extent of Asmura's injury, and grimacing at his own foolishness.  His reddish-brown eyes caught hers and he smiled to reassure her.  "You'll be fine in a minute.  Rule #1 about combat: Freyd ALWAYS messes up his first attack.  Hold back until he's done that.  Got it?"

He gave her another wink and nodded that they should head back to Gatsly to collect her reward.

Spoiler

image.png

Asmura | HP: 56/80 | EN: 6/8 | DAM: 2 | MIT: 11 | EVA: 1 
Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:900/900 | EN:69/88 | DMG:16 | MIT:18 | EVA:3 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE + 6 for hits): 18 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3, Turn Recovery) = 13 EN

BD: 6 + 4 = 10 (hit).  Freyd deals 192 damage to Wolf #2.  
BD: 8 + 4 = 12 (hit).  Freyd deals 192 damage to Wolf #3.  
BD: 3 + 4 - 1 = 6 (hit).  Freyd deals 192 damage to Venom Snapper 

(0,1) Wolf#1 | HP: 0/40 | DMG: 25 
(0,1) Wolf#2 | HP: 0/40 | DMG: 25 (40 - 192)
(0,1) Wolf#3 | HP: 0/40 | DMG: 25 (40 - 192)
(0,1) Venom Snapper | HP: 0 | DMG: 35 | Critical DMG (MD 9-10): 50 | EVA: 1 (150 - 192)

Venomous Bite: Natural MD of 9-10 poisons the target, dealing 10 unmitigatable damage at the start of their turn for 3 turns.
Feral Strike: Every time a <<Wolf>> is slain, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next attack becomes AoE. This ability can stack (if 2 wolves die at the same time, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next 2 attacks become AoE). “Venomous Bite” can still trigger on AoE attacks.

One minute there were monsters surrounding the duo, and then the next the clearing was filled with florescent blue pixels. The sheer power of the older male’s sword art was astounding; so much so that Asmura found herself go slack jawed and wide eyed. That was the kind of power she desired. Not for herself, but for her friends. She wanted to be able to stand between her friends and danger if ever needed; just like Freyd. Upon noticing that the brunette was about the turn around Asmura quickly placed a wide grin on her face and slid the sword back into the sheath.

“Got it,” Asmura chuckled and returning Freyd’s smile with one of her own. “Does this mean that we’ll get to adventure again?” There was hope—and if one were listening, a tad bit of worry—in her voice that couldn’t go unheard. Upon first meeting Freyd he had been intimidating with his black cowl, strange familiar, and intense aura. Not all those aspects of him had changed; however, his aura defiantly had. There was a friendliness there that Asmura had not expected. It felt like standing next to a campfire, holding ones hand out, and feeling the warmth radiating off the brilliant flames.

Without hesitation, Asmura sent her own wink back at Freyd and then started towards Gatsly’s.  

“Does this mean that we’ll get to adventure again?”

Freyd smiled.  He'd never had siblings growing up, or ever been very good with kids.  They were too awkward and drooled way too much, but Asmura was okay.  She had guts, guile and wisdom enough to learn from her mistake.  It was like getting the deluxe model with potential for all the really good upgrades. 

"Anytime you want, Asmura."  He patted her playfully on the bandana.  "We'll make a fearsome warrior out of you in no time.  Just let me know when you need a hand with anything."

The smile remained but Freyd knew that she would face horrors the likes of which no child should ever face.  He would never shield her from it, but would do everything in his power to prepare her for it.

"Make sure you prod Gatsly for the full reward.  He gets a bit stingy if he thinks he can scam someone out of their due."

"Make sure you prod Gatsly for the full reward.  He gets a bit stingy if he thinks he can scam someone out of their due."

"Right!" Asmura stated, nodding her head with eyes narrowed in determination. Determination wasn't the only emotion that was filling the small girl like helium balloon. There was also excitement. Freyd would adventure with her again. There had been no hesitation in the answer--nor any doubt--and that could not make Asmura happier. She enjoyed the presence of the older male. "Welp, let's go then!" 

With that the duo was off through the forest and back toward the town. There appeared to be more players out than earlier in the day as the strolled back to the inn where Gatsly resided. For a moment there was a paused at the door of the inn and as Asmura attempted to build up any bravery left over from the fight. Breathing out a long drawn out breathe the young girl narrowed her eyebrows, pressed her lips together, and attempted to look as serious as possible. The facial expression was inspired by her mom. Sometimes, when her mom and dad were talking her dad would be laughing and joking. Then, her mom would adopt this facial expression and he would stop. This is how being serious appeared. Glancing up at Freyd the young girl had a hard time holding the face--mainly because she wanted to break into a smile. "Ok, We're serious. We can do this. We won't like him stiff us!" While fully aware that Freyd would be able to not allow Gatsly to stiff him Asmura was not so sure about herself; however, she refused rely on everyone for everything.