[F7 - PP] <<Feeding Your Enemy>> "A Rocky Relationship"

Elora quickly ducked behind a metal water trough as a set of trainers carried out buckets of slop through the tent's entrance with considerable urgency. It wasn't long before a deafening stillness settled over the seemingly vacant facility. Only the occasional stirring of animals or rattling of chains could be heard as they readjusted their positions within a series of less-than-roomy crates. Cautiously, Elora crept with her back pressed along the canvas's wall until she had the chance to peer out into the room and was able to ensure that it was unoccupied. That's a relief, but I probably don't have much time. It'll be best to make it out of here soon.

She began to examine the cages in an attempt to perceive the details of each dilapidated and defeated heap that dwelled within them. There are so many of them and still not a single one is looking out at me... Among their contents she was able to eventually distinguish water-monitor like lizards with missing tails and gouged scales, a gigantic fowl with few feathers, and what looked to be a family of small mammalian creatures cowering in a corner of their confine. F*ck, why are they all so injured? She'd heard rumors about circuses mistreating their exotic animals in the real world, but there was no reason for the game they were in to generate something as vile as  this. It's not like this is part of a quest or anything, we just happened to come across it. While the warnings skipped through her mind like a scratched CD, a nearby canine began to threaten her with a low, guttural growl. "Sh-shhh...", she motioned to it with a wave while she held another finger over her mouth, "I'm not here to hurt you, I promise" She was sure that the words were hardly convincing. How would it know any better? Damn, I shouldn't be here. I don't think there's any time for me to vet through all of these options until I find my f*cking -- soulmate or some sh*t. 

Just as she was about to turn tale, her foot met the edge of something small and heavy. She wasn't falling for, well,  because of that one again. Looking down was hardly necessary as her mind's eye had already predicted what she would find. Standing firmly before her was none other than the rock golem that hadn't failed to follow them as far as they had ventured. "Oh look, what a surprise. God, I can't believe you're still here. Did you really think it would be safe to follow us this far!", she scolded to it as silently as possible. The golem seemed to tense in anger as it condensed itself, then quickly and sternly extended a jumbled arm toward her. "What do you want from me? Water? Food? A PAT ON THE BOULDER?!" 

Borris.png.6b83f7dbcc1d640b65d0f64129d2a6ab.pngThe sound of something heavy hitting the ground next to her nearly made her jump out of her skin. She was relieved to notice that the noise had come from the rock she'd collected from earlier tumbling out of her bag. Elora grumbled and crouched down to pick up the rock. Reaching out to grab it proved futile as the pebble rolled just beyond the length of her arm, continuing on an invisible path until it came to a halt in front of the creature. "Wait, is that --?" Before Elora could finish her speculation, the piece flew forward and fixed itself to a flat spot situated between a broad set of shoulders. The completion of the golem's geometry was enough for Elora to finally realize the true reason as to why he'd been following her. "Oh...you were just...looking for your lost head..." He nodded curtly and started to hobble away with little hesitation. "So, that's it...? You're not gonna stick around?" She didn't know why she'd said it. The thing didn't have any obligation to stay with her now, especially since it had reclaimed everything it'd been searching for. What am I searching for? This was a mistake...

"I guess this is where our adventure ends then...I wish that I was as determined as you..."

Edited by Elora
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was risky, but what wasn't these days?

Freyd had crawled into the big top and was watching the 'rehearsal' unfold from beneath some of the hastily erected wooden bleachers along the periphery of the main performance space.  It stank of digital dung - a subject on which he had unintentionally become something of an expert.  The 'lady' in charge, and he used the term very loosely, was quite the piece of work.  Outlandish costumes were par for the course when it came to sideshows and circuses, but she had taken it to an entirely new level, and not in a good way.  Her show was more akin to an abattoir than a performance floor.  Anyone other than a sadist would find it revolting.  The animals in her 'acts' were basically being dissected live, mis-using the pain-suppression functions of the game to do things that no sane individual would ever even consider.  

So much for my hopes that she might just be misunderstood.  This one was completely nutters, with an entourage of twisted NPCs, probably driven mad by the same glitch that had spawned the Sundered Spire in the first place.

"Damn, Elora. Please tell me you're done whatever the hell you were thinking of doing and we can get out of here," he thought to himself.

He was about to roll back out from under the bleachers and make his way back to find her when a pair of thick, heavily muscled orcish-looking legs in heavy black iron boots came to stand just beyond the tattered black tarp that concealed him from view.  It was also his only way out.

"Damn it all!", shouted the 'ringmaster' as he knocked over the buckets of food that had been brought to appease the beasts. The rhinoceroses had ripped free from the clutches of their trainers and were now furiously rampaging around the stadium, determined to kill the ones who had neglected them for so long. "Help us, Valentina! This is your fault! None of this would have happened if you had just treated them kindly!", he yelled toward the PKer as he scrambled up and over the safety wall to find sanctuary among the grandstands. His NPC companions were not so lucky.

"You're all useless buffoons!", shrieked the woman with her arms crossed sternly beneath her breasts, "None of you can even die, so I'm the only one who's taking all of the risks!" Flicking a section of pastel pink curls from her face, she swiftly summoned a battle axe into one hand and entered the arena to end to the pandemonium. With cold eyes, the woman slaughtered the beasts, then finished off the NPCs that had somehow survived being trampled and impaled. After it was over, her head snapped to the side to glare threateningly toward the man who was panicking in the bleachers above Freyd. "This is the LAST time you're going to allow for something like this to happen", she spat as her heels thudded dully against the compressed dirt. "Visitors -- players -- aren't going to come if we can't promise them a phenomenal performance" The sound of her shrill and raspy voice grew louder as she continued to approach them. "We've already promised to show an adorable little couple a good time tonight, and I am not about to miss out on the opportunity to meet them" Valentina paused for a moment to gently caress the blade of her weapon with a well-manicured finger. "Appearances matter, you know..." She leaned over the NPC, hovering the edge of the axe beside his cheek as he trembled in fear. "We can't have word getting out that are carnies showing up in the outskirts of villages to murder players, after all. That would ruin our chances of touring Tanabata next year" A chillingly insincere smile crept across her red lips as she fantasied about the possibility. "It would be so magnificant and so EASY to take pieces out of the stronger players as they wander around in their kimonos, so stupidly unaware and unprepared to defend themselves."

"D-didn't you hear though? There was a gigantic battle that Enoshima.Junko_600.1564617.jpg.f63aca133fe5663c6774fff9423e92dc.jpghappened during the festival. No one is going to show up there without expecting a fight in the future--" Her axe jerked, slicing a shallow cut across his face. He winced and slumped further between a set of wooden benches.

"Oh -- is that so?", Her expressed barely phased to reflect her shock in hearing the news. "Well", she hissed, "Then I guess we'll have no choice but to remain inconspicuous for now. We'll continue to visit these shantytowns, at least until we can find another venue for the grand finale." Valerie stood and shook the locks from her vision, then straightened her tie and flattened her skirt with her palms. "For the time being...I'll be off to select some healthier candidates for tonight's show. We've only got an hour before it begins, and that's hardly enough time to recruit new trainers." She turned to exit the text before instructing, "Tidy up the place and make sure that everyone is ready for their roles. And do me a favor -- make sure that the players you greeted earlier find their way to their seats"

Edited by Elora

"Oh, come on!"  An exasperated Freyd clambered out from beneath the bleachers, his right leg getting stuck between the boards.  Being reasonably tall and lanky, with a wiry build, he somehow seemed to lack the simple coordination required to turn his foot ninety degrees and get it through.  It was odd, like watching a child with one of those soccer-ball shaped toys with all the different shapes around the outside, but if the kid couldn't figure out how to pull the two side apart to get the blocks back out. 

Valentina and the NPCs were completely agog.  Their brains couldn't quite process whether he was annoyed that his foot was stuck, or at them for their inadvertent revelations, or both?!  Everyone just stood around stunned, before looking at each other, and then finally wondering where the hell this guy had come from.

"Do you people honestly believe that this is an acceptable level of scheming and villainy?!"  Limping around, arms way out above his head, making himself and his reaction seem to be double the size it needed to be, he ranted on.  "Teddy bear hair clips?!  Really?  And, are you seriously crazy enough to think that front liners in their pajama's are any less deadly?  Have you ever considered that this world has +3 DMG lingerie!?"

"YOU!"  He pointed directly at Valentina, whose ghostly blue eyes were still wide with confusion.  "Seem very much like the type of person who should understand this!"  Freyd's arms spread wide, causing all of the surrounding NPCs to step back, parting to provide him the escape route which had been his goal this entire time. 

"And the rest of you!  Going along with this sadistic nonsense?!"  Freyd grabbed the frayed edge of an open flap in the outer wall of a tent.  "WHAT WOULD YOUR MOTHERS SAY?"  Giving them all a bulging glare mixed in with a dose of crazy-eyes, he gazed into them the concept of shame and disappoint before pulling back the curtain and exiting with magnificently over-exaggerated flare.

"You seriously think that I don't know about the damage-increasing lingerie?", she shouted after him.  After all, she wasn't one who wanted to waltz into battle looking like some sort of heavy-weight. Valerie needed something that would hug and accentuate her feminine curves. "And these hair clips are totally multi-purpose! Everything that I choose to wear is both fashionable and practical!" It was too late, the male player had already exited the establishment and was unable to hear her defenses. "That imbecile! He won't know the definition of sadistic until I'm finished with him! Well -- why are you just standing here and gawking?! Help me capture him!" She summoned her battle axe and ran out of the main entrance of the tent in an effort to cut him off from an escape later on. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Elora was attempting to interact with each creature and get a feel for their chemistry through the bars of each of their cages. "Nope, this one's too creepy. Uhh...that one twitches a lot. EEEK! THOSE JUST LOOK LIKE SNAKES!", she decided upon taking a closer inspection of the lizard-like monsters. "This is basically just like shopping for a pet at a shelter", she realized with a sigh. I'm really starting to run out of options here. Maybe my expectations are just too high... Still, the thought of leaving them all trapped in their prisons as she moved onto the next venue left a bad feeling in her chest. It's not like anyone has shown up to stop me yet. The show might have already started. Come to think of it, Freyd hadn't even made his way into the tent yet. She thought for sure that he would be trailing closely behind her. Had he encountered and engaged in a battle of fisticuffs with the player killer? Even worse, had he grabbed popcorn and decided to watch the circus performance without her? "Fuck it!", she shouted as she turned to address the captive creatures, "I'll break you guys out of here, even if none of us were really meant to be together..." The promise sounded more like a coping strategy for moving on from a bad break up than anything else. At least, that's how shows and movies liked to portray the act of a gental let-down. Elora proceeded to bash her staff against the side of the metal pipes with no signs of compromise to their structural integrity. Eventually she just resorted to the tedious alternative of trying to pick their locks with the point of the spear. All the while, the nearby hound continued to bark and howl as a way to either cheerlead or condemn her efforts. So much for trying to be inconspicuous. 

Spoiler

ID#: 168380 LD13 Failed to Find a Familiar

Edited by Elora

A frantic-looking Freyd burst through the tent fabric, slicing it open, sword drawn without any hint of subtlety.  His red-tinged eyes spoke of danger from beneath the murky shadows of his dark cowl.  

"We're leaving.  Now!" 

His tone brokered no discussion.  Elora must have stood still too long, dazed by his sudden and frenzied appearance.  Choosing not to chance losing any more time, he maintained his forward momentum.  Leaning down, he caught her around the waist, tossing her over his shoulder like a burlap sack and running like a madman out the opposite side of the room.  The animals around them clamoured loudly, sensing the excitement and tone of his words, and in response to the flurry of activity around them.  Raised voices could be heard behind them, and were those... torches?!  "FIND THEM!  I WANT THEIR SPLEENS!"

"Scold me later!" 

Clasping on tight, he made a break for the forest ridge he'd spotted earlier on the near edge of the village, thinking that they might hide in there until they could figure out a better escape plan.  Poor Elora was left to bob and bounce awkwardly on his shoulder while he fled for their lives wondering all the while how booty shorts could be so hard to grasp.  Then he remembered the dragon and improvised skirt.

"Wait, NO -- FREYD!", she protested as he swept her off of her feet, "What are you doing?! We have to help the animals!" Angry fists batted at his back as Elora insisted that he let her down. Her legs swung frantically and the heel of one boot nearly clipped the bottom of his chin. Damn, how is he so strong when he's only like a few inches taller than me! 

"FIND THEM!  I WANT THEIR SPLEENS!"

Elora's head snapped to attention and her eyes locked to scan the horizon. Dusk had already disappeared and darkness now cloaked the landscape, concealing all but a few distant torch-lights which bobbed like lanterns in a sea as their pursuers chased them through the prairie. 

"N-never mind -- Keep running!!", she squealed, burying her face against him and grabbing onto his body as best she could. There would be no time to stop and reposition themselves so that she could run on her own, so she didn't make demands. The uncomfortable acrobatics would have to do for now.

By the time they had fled into the forest, the voices of the people behind them had grow distant, or at the very least, disconnected from one another. Elora yelped as Freyd half-dropped and half-threw her into a small clearing of moss, his own body practically collapsing in exhaustion from the excursion. 

"A-are you ok?! What the hell happened?", she asked in a panicked voice. Hurriedly lifting his limbs and shoving away his gear, she tried to inspect whatever wounds he may have sustained in the dim light. There was no chance that he had managed to piss off a mob, let alone a psychotic woman, without getting caught up in some sort of battle.

Freyd blinked and winced under the barrage of questions Elora had launched at him.  Why were her hands all over him, all of a sudden?!  Placing his hand firmly over her mouth to shut her up, he turned and locked his gaze with hers, their faces mere inches from each other.

"First, shut up for a second."  His voice was a tense whisper, but the volume of his cowl strangely offered them an awkward privacy, like they'd both stuck their heads under a blanket to have a secret conversation.  "Second, I'm fine, so relax.  I'm deliberately tougher than I look, and didn't end up having to pick a fight.  Valentina and her goons accidentally pinned me down under a bleacher when I went to investigate what they were up to.  I've heard about her from the information brokers.  She's definitely bad news.  Unfortunately, I had to use some 'bluff-nanigans' to get past them and back to you as quick as I could."

Freyd spared a moment to scan their surroundings.  It looked like they were safe, for now, but hunkering down in the woods until they got some light might be their best option.  Neither of them would see well in the dark, and a light was too risky.

"Last, and most importantly,"  he paused for dramatic effect, "has your hair always smelled like mint?"  Even in the dark, the mirthful twinkle in his eyes shone through.

tumblr_mme4abs9D01s45dsso1_r1_1280.thumb.jpg.f4be5bc78a7f8b9146d4113119a069d1.jpg"Valephtima?", muffled Elora beneath his hand, "Ishshe thaplayar killher?" 

"Has your hair always smelled like mint?" 

She peeled his fabric-covered fingers off of her face so that she could finally speak, "What the hell are you talking about? It's not like we can use fragranced shampoos here" Her hand lifted the backside of his own up and against the length of his forehead, as if to check for a fever, "You sure you didn't get a few whacks to the head?" Whether or not his defense was true, she knew that arguing about it further would be futile.

Quickly releasing his hand, both of her own clasped nervously as they sank into a vacant space within her criss-crossed legs. "Freyd, I didn't find a familiar...", she expressed with a tone of disappointment, "I mean...I guess that none of the monsters there were really in that good of shape, but I still wish that something could have worked for me" Her shoulders seemed to deflate as she sighed before continuing, "I even lost Borris. Apparently he was only following us because I was carrying his headstone around in one of my pockets..." This was the first time that she had addressed the rock golem by a name, the one that she had bestowed upon it at some point during their journey. "I'm sorry for dragging you along for all of this and for wasting your time" 

As Elora spoke, the volume of her words varied depending on the hostility of the environment as it developed around them. The voices of some NPC's grew quieter, while at other times, a few seemed to grow louder. Elora didn't know whether or not it would be possible for her mind to grow calm enough to allow sleep in such a dangerous climate. She only hoped that the programed characters, and their suspected slavedriver, would enter some sort of sleep cycle that would force them to suspend their search.

"You haven't found your familiar - yet.  And you certainly haven't wasted my time."  Freyd's voice was an odd mix of tones, some scolding for giving up hope, others seeking awkwardly to bolster her self-esteem.  That needed some explanation, but how to give it?  "I value... the time we spend together."  It felt really weird to admit this.  "It helps me set aside all of the other, darker things I have to deal with on a regular basis."  Freyd shifted and settled at Elora's side, the two of them enveloped by darkness.  

"As to the familiar," he reached up and placed an arm over her shoulder, feeling her tense.  "Relax," he added calmly.  "I'm just trying to help calm you down so that you can get some decent rest.  I'm more accustomed to sitting out in places like this than you might think, so I'll keep watch.  We'll pick things up in the morning, find something suitable and wrap this up in due time."  Persi stretched out her shadowy form over Elora like a blanket, her darkness cloaking her perfectly and offering unexpected, soothing warmth.  The slow rise and fall of Freyd's lanky chest and shoulder providing a reasonably comfortable nook, however strange it might seem.  They'd had quite the day already. 

"Sleep well, Elora." 

♪  A Restful Sleep  ♪  

"Relax" It was the same advice that he had given her that night at Tanabata. Although Elora believed that the word bestowed her with a false sense of security, she couldn't help but feel her muscles unwind in response to his reassurances, and to the warmth offered by his crepuscular companion. "I'm more accustomed to sitting out in places like this than you might think, so I'll keep watch."

"That seems concerning", she said with a weary chuckle, "I've never been good at falling asleep in places I'm not used to..." On the very rare occasion, she was able to feel rested from sleeping in her room at The Humming Bard Inn, but no matter what she tried or how long she lived there, it never seemed to offer the comfort of home. In the real world, Elora had made a ritual of sleeping with the items she cherished most, almost like a dragon that laid over its treasures to protect them throughout the night. Those stuffed animals, notebooks, pictures, and other trinkets were absent from Aincrad, leaving Elora to cope with a sense of loneliness that only seemed to worsen her desire for belonging. 

The small player fidgeted in her resting place, eventually reaching a stillness with her head propped against Freyd's shoulder while the two of them remained upright. It was Elora's intention to stay awake as long as possible to assist him with watching the woods. Gradually though, her blinks became heavier and she struggled to distinguish the details of the evergreens' swaying bows and the animals which scurried beneath them. They grew ever dimmer, until finally, all was swallowed completely by darkness. 

Edited by Elora

Freyd couldn't recall that last time he had felt so completely at peace.  Sure, some PK-ing madwoman with a gaggle of henchmobs was scouring the countryside, the Sundered Spire still on the loose and poor Elora was having a hell of a time finding her familiar, but none of it seemed to matter in the slightest.  All of his attention was focused on the warmth and steady breathing of the woman at his side and keeping his gaze steadfastly on lookout.  It didn't help that her ears was tickling his neck, though it brought a slight smile to his face.  

For all the time they had spent together, he knew very little about her.  Maybe that was for the best?  Freyd straddled a line between light and dark that she knew little about, and would likely not understand or appreciate.  It was best just to focus on helping, in whatever small way.  His mind needed the reprieve from too much big picture stress, and the mounting pressures that came with it.  Her innocence was refreshing.

Elora was also coming into her own now, and would soon be off on her own adventures.  It was a good thing, and important.  But he would miss their escapades if they drew too far apart, and... and may also moments like these.

The sun crested over the horizon in the distance.  He could already see that the carnival had packed up and fled the area, fearing reprisal.  They should be safe to continue their search, for now.  His head still resting against the tree behind them, Freyd's instincts were pushing him to get moving and maximize their time.  Instead, he chose to linger.  'Elora could use the rest,' he thought, lying to himself.

852244287_EloraSleepingForest.png.f2b2bbd0ea0dd833f57005d2dfd5a6c9.pngElora's body seemed accustomed to sleeping in, since the bright light from the morning sun did nothing to rustle her awake. Instead, she just retreated further and further away from it, until eventually, her face was completely buried against Freyd's arm. Drool trickled out of her gaping mouth and her limbs seemed to twitch and spasm randomly while she dreamt. Finally, one such movement occurred with enough force that it caused her head to lurch forward. Elora awoke just in time to prevent her body from falling over.

"Wha--whatdidyou...?", she mumbled in a daze before looking around and realizing she was sitting where she had passed out the previous night. Oh, that's right... She rubbed the side of her head with a gloved hand, smearing dirt across it without even realizing. Noticing that Freyd was still beside her, she asked, "Did we...did you get any sleep...?" She could barely finish speaking before yawning loudly. Leaning against Freyd had somehow undone one of the bows from the front of her hair. The rest of her emerald locks hung in a snarled mess, serving as a reminder of the evening's hectic events. Elora rolled her shoulders, then began to stretch her arms above her head. "Man, what a night. I feel drained", a lengthy growl from her stomach interjected the conversation, "And hungry..."

Edited by Elora

Pulling back his hood, Freyd chuckled softly, letting it rumble through his chest to her ears.

"It wouldn't be much of a watch if I'd fallen asleep, would it?  I'll get my rest when we're done."  Using his free hand, he summoned himself a somehow-still-steaming cup of vanilla-scented coffee and a pair of warm, buttered croissants, which he offered to his disheveled companion.

"Here.  Try some of this.  I don't tend to wander off on quests unprepared.  I guess I should apologize for that.  We might have had more luck with some buffs in place.  In fact..."

It was a bit awkward to type, but he rarely let such things bother him.  

Spoiler

To: Kasumi

Please bring LD 3 buff, Familiar Song and Pheromones to coordinates listed below to assist Elora with quest.  Be cautious.  PKer spotted in the area last night.

Thanks. 

"Maybe this will help." He sent the missive and enjoyed his breakfast, content that Elora seemed to have gotten some decent rest.   The drool didn't matter.

@Kasumi

Making her rounds as what was expected for her to deal out, doing scans into the unknown fog of war of the floor. Near the known landmark at the temple of the three, in the blinds as each square of the grid became more and more visible. Loosely held aloft in some the risen crags, just outside of the view of a horde orc's gleaning the raw meat from the carcass of a deer. A pause as she attempts to keep from staring directly at them, the disgusting nature of the meal would make her lose what she had lining her stomach.

A sudden ring of her menu via a message causes them to turn and sound the alarm. "I am sorry for what I must do." Kasumi spoke with mixed feelings in her heart for she knew they would not let her leave. A glimmer of pink blindsides most but the head, to which it receives an open palm to the spine. They were not destroyed but incapacitated, rattling their given nervous systems to the point of stasis. Her freedom bought, Kasumi moves toward the settlement known as Deepedge.

It was here she read the message, from the captain position she'd yet to meet. A pit stop to Gaius's shop and recycling her own un returned spyglass made up the kit he required. Eager to make a good impression she does so quickly. Unannounced to her in her haste she had yet to realize that another had read her message, blinding burning toward the coordinates. "An orange, confirmed by the master as a wolf?" A soft whisper, coat-tailing her pairing. "I thought today's hunt was to come up empty..."

Kasumi | HP:620/620 | EN:62/62 | DMG:13 | EVA:3 | ACC:3 | BLD:24

Brought for Elora: Pheromone (+1 CD for Familiar Taming), Familiar Song (+2 LD for Familiar Searching), Lemon Berry Palmier's (+3 LD Food)

Spoiler

Kasumi, The Crashing Wave
Level: 31
HP: 620/620
EN: 62/62

Stats:
Damage: 13
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 3
BLD:24

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Mugen's Lineage - Growth [T2/Perfect] Damage 2, Bleed 1
Armor: Mugen Tenshin Decree [T1/Perfect] (3 Accuracy)
Misc: White Red-trimmed Gee [T1/Perfect] (3 Evasion)

Skills:
Martial Arts [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 3]

Extra Skills:
Concentration

Mods:
Finesse Rank 3
Ferocity

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystal*1

Housing Buffs:
Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Edited by Kasumi

Elora's posture seemed to perk up at the sight of food. She hadn't expected that Freyd would have any on hand, but she sure as hell was thankful that he did. Reaching out, she accepted one of the pastries, leaving the other untouched for him to finish off. "Who's that?", she asked curiously while peering over his shoulder as he typed out and sent an item-request, "Another guild member?"

It wasn't long before a curvy orange-haired women appeared and shared with them tools to aid them in their search. Elora couldn't help but feel embarrassed that it had come to this, but she figured she might as well accept the help. Otherwise there was a chance that they'd spend the entirety of another day looking, only to come up empty-handed. Elora devoured her breakfast and thanked their guild-mate for her assistance before she bid them goodbye. 

"Well...", she began as she stood up and tied her hair into its usual arrangement, "Where do you say we start next. Maybe we could retrace our steps back to where we first found Borris? He probably lives somewhere up that plateau we were previously on"

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Spoiler

Elora accepts Pheromone (+1 CD for Familiar Taming)

Finding a Familiar: ID# 169253 LD20 Thank F*cking Finally

Edited by Elora

"Huh.... yeah.  That's probably likely.  We can make our way back around by following the river.  It was definitely a rocky spot, and seems like a suitable territory for him or others."  He turned his attention to Kasumi.

"Thank you for coming so promptly.  I appreciate it whenever I see members of O&I being so reliable.  And," he added with a short bow, "it's nice to finally meet you.  Please tell Setsuna know, when you see her, that we need to call a staff meeting to review the state of affairs in Aincrad.  We have a lot to do, and there are few of available to do them."  Straightening from his bow, he nodded both his thanks and dismissal, his eyes scouring the surrounding tree line and shadows for signs of ambush or observation.  "Be wary, Kasumi.  Be safe."

Turning his attention back to Elora, he offered her a small smile and gestured for her to lead the way.  This was her quest, after all.

Vanity Tag: @Kasumi

As the two of them were walking, Elora took advantage of their spare time to down one of the elixirs that she was given. It wasn't the tastiest way to top off a backpacker's breakfast, but she wasn't about to complain since the item would increase her odds of befriending Borris. Freyd and her soon made their way through the farming settlement and were beginning their accent up the cliffside, this time sticking to a narrow trail that wound around its slope. 

"You're really starting to sound more like a leader whenever you talk", brought up Elora during one of the pair's lengthy silences, "I know that level-wise you're pretty strong, but where is all the other influence coming from?" The phrasing of the question probably could have been tailored to sound less skeptical and envious of his progress. After all, it was meant as more of a way to learn about his life in this game aside from their interactions with one another than it was to study his scheme for achieving popularity. 

Spoiler

Elora consumes Pheromone (+1 CD for Familiar Taming)

Edited by Elora

Freyd's brow furrowed, but a smile remained on his face, as if her statement was confusing.  

"Uh... thanks?  You do know that I'm in charge of Firm Anima's Operations and Intelligence section, right?"  One eyebrow cocked upwards, as realization dawned that Elora had likely spent very little time around the guild hall and likely wasn't aware of the formal structure.  It was loosely administered, and his role wasn't one that he generally liked to advertise.  It gets harder to be an effective spy when everyone around you knows that's what you do.

"I mean, this outfit is super-comfortable, but I'm definitely a form-after-function kind of guy.  The practicality of dark clothing is more than some Emo statement.  That said, I'm more than willing to let people assume whatever they want about me.  It makes things... easier."

He took two steps away from her, as if this topic forced some distance by its very nature, turning to half-face away from her.  She needed to know some of the truth, but he still doubted that she was ready for all of it.  Let her keep some of her illusions.

"I enjoy our adventures, Elora.  But there are a lot of things you don't know about me, my job, or the extents I will go to when things need to get done.  You have no idea what it takes to keep that thing green sometimes."  His eyes drifted upwards to where he imagined his player icon was visible to her and others.  "I'm a leader when I have to be.  Not because I want to be."  His gaze lowered towards the ground.  Not because he felt any shame, but more because he felt like she had never realized any of this.  In a way, it would shatter some of her innocence, and that was unfortunate.

"Operations and...what...? That just makes it sound like you're doing shady reconnaissance for them or something? I guess I wouldn't be too surprised. That does seem to fit your whole...", she gestured at him with splayed fingers as she struggled to search for the word, "Get-up" 

"I mean, this outfit is super-comfortable", he began with his explanation. Elora's face seemed to tense at that last part.

"I don't know how you can do it", she said with a sigh and a half-hearted smile. Although the path was widening as they neared the summit, Elora's shoulders slumped, the silhouette of her body being made smaller as she started to close off from the conversation. You should worry about what they think, she concluded in her head. 

Elora spared a fleeting glance over to the emerald cursor that bobbed indifferently above his head. The admission of his manipulative nature and the darker desires it disguised sent an unwelcome chill down her spine. Her hands clasped the edges of her cloak, pulling its fabric in a comfortless embrace around her shoulders as she evaded his eyes to reflect on his remarks.  

"You wouldn't care less what color it was if it didn't impact how people thought of you" The abrasive phrasing of her assertion was probably a bad call if his intention really was to threaten her. Whatever. It's not like I'd stand a chance against him anyway if that's really what this is leading up to. "Besides, if you don't want to be a leader, why are you wasting your time? What's even in it for you?"

A flurry of sadness, fear, and anger began to manifest in Elora's trembling voice. She didn't have the control that she needed to tranquilize her nerves, to suppress her emotions, and to force herself from needlessly escalating a situation. 

"But it's not about that, is it? It's what's in it for other people that matters", she practically hissed through clenched teeth. 

Spoiler

Taming a Familiar: ID# 169255 CD1 + 1 = 2 Fail (Attempt 1/4)

**NOTE** Roll ID# 169254 Voided. Cannot role to tame a familiar on turn that activate Pheromone. 

Edited by Elora