[PP-09] <<The Iron Guardian>> Vengeful Victims of Villainy

They headed west, following vague warnings of further Sundered Spire activity from an information broker Freyd had dealt with in the past.  In shady business, one cannot afford to be overly choosy about the options and opportunities provided.  Sometimes, you relied on a hunch, or a rumour, or just played the odds.  This felt like one of those times.  The timing of the man's notice was simply too perfect to be coincidental, and he had no way of knowing how widespread this faction's tendrils might reach.  It definitely spread across floors, which already made it noteworthy.

"Your gear,"  Freyd started as they tromped through the ash-covered geyser fields of the hellish volcano floor.  "Considering its quality and the moves you pulled back there, I'm guessing that you're not exactly a run of the mill stray.  So what's your story, Oscar?  How does someone with your talents end up wandering down here?"

Freyd was very much aware that he knew nothing of this man, and that his capabilities made him a potential threat - one he could not likely overcome, if it came to that.  If any intrigue was at play here, he had to find out through other means.  He'd been given no reason to doubt him, but that was exactly what he would expect a potential fifth column agent to do.  It's what he would do, in their place.

@Oscar

Freyd uses Yue's Grace

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 46
HP: 940/940
EN: 92/92

Stats:
Damage: 16
Mitigation: 18
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 4
KEEN:1
HLY:2
BLD:12

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Forgiven Disobedience (T1-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Skin of Fallen Shadows (T2-LA, EVA 3)
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 4]
Searching [Rank 3]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Turkish March *2
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik*5
Super-Duper Snake Sauce*2

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild: n/a

Wedding Ring:n/a

"Like I said. Just really don't like the heat," came Oscar's response. "Honestly, I haven't really done anything notable. Just got the attention of the people that have. Tesseleth's Fury was given to me by one of the Frontliners. Not really sure why, but clearly I'm not complaining about it. My skill probably comes from the fact that I'm keenly aware that I'm in a video game. You ever really internalized that? Imagine you woke up one day in the real world and found out that you had cartoon powers." Oscar, for his part, didn't really see the harm in explaining himself. Honestly, he'd never really taken the time to lay out why he was able to do things that most other people didn't even really try. He'd gone above and beyond to push the limits of what his avatar was capable of. "I don't know about you, but I definitely couldn't sprint a lap around this entire floor without getting out of breath in the real world. Or suplex a shark out of the water. Or perform an acrobatic feat - in the middle of combat, mind you - that an Olympic Gold Medalist couldn't do. It's absolutely fucking wild the things you can pull off here once you accept the fact you're in a video game."

Spoiler

Oscar - Lvl 65
1330 HP
130 Energy
5 Accuracy (+1 Precision +3 Gear +1 Abs.Acc)
2 Evasion
19 Base Damage - (1 Base +7 Skill +1 Ferocity +9 Familiar +1 Athletics)
106 Mitigation 
Absolute Accuracy
Bleed

Equipment
Money Shot [Tier 3 Perfect Two-Handed Battleaxe] Absolute Accuracy, Accuracy, Bleed
Tesseleth’s Fury [Tier 3 Demonic Two-Handed Battleaxe] | Fallen, Fallen, Burn, Burn
Tactical Outfitting Mk.III [Tier 3 Demonic Light Armor] | Vampiric (Defensive), Para Immune, Rec, Rec
Mythril Greaves [Tier 3 Perfect Heavy Armor] |  +81 MIT
Gloves of Caerus [Tier 1 Perfect Light Armor] | +3 Loot Die
Ivory Gold Leaf Ring [Tier 1 Demonic Trinket] | ACC, ACC, EVA, EVA

Familiar
Leeroy & Jenkins - Familiar | +3*Tier DMG

Battle Ready Inventory
Teleportation Crystal
Empty Inventory Slot |
Empty Inventory Slot |
Empty Inventory Slot |
Empty Inventory Slot |
Empty Inventory Slot |

Buffs
Well-Rested | -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat.
Filling | Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 slot.
Relaxed | Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash | 5% Bonus Col from Monster kills and Chests
Squeaky Clean | The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25%

Skills
2HBA | Rank 5: +8 Damage
Light Armor | Rank 5: +25 Damage Mitigation
Battle Healing | Rank 5: Recover 5% of Max HP every round while in combat
Concentration | +1 to your BD (3 turn cooldown)
Survival | Heal 15*Tier HP when out of battle
Parry | 2-turn CD, 5 EN Half damage of next attack and remove Stun/Paralysis effects
First Aid | Rank 5: Restore 20% of target’s max health [Cost: 4% of healing done]

Skill Mods
Ferocity                   | Increases Base Damage by 1
Athletics                  | Increases Base Damage by 1, Max HP by 10*tier
Precision                 | Increases Accuracy by 1
Justified Riposte      | Successful Parries Stun Opponent, 3 Turn CD
Finesse Rank 3       | -3 EN on 2HBA Sword Arts

"Finally!"  Freyd pronounced with a hint of cold and callous pragmatism.  "Someone who finally understands the reality of our situation.  Raidou is the only other player I've met whom I can honestly believe has come to the same conclusion."  Epiphany might have been a better word, but it implied an even more depressing level of awareness that added nothing to the conversation.  Tension was clear in Freyd's tone, as if he were on the verge of some cathartic release of pent up frustration.  "How tragic is that?  Ten thousand people are trapped in this digital box.  Half of them were clueless kids faced with the terrifying choice to mentally crack or grow up real fast.  Another quarter are sensory junkies and self-indulgent godmodders too busy enjoying the fluffy aspects of the content or their own pleasures and delusions.  That leaves the rest of us to pick up the pieces, and take most of the risks and casualties in the process."

Freyd realized that his fists had clenched and had to mentally command them to relax.  "Every once in a while, some few souls from the other groups wake up and join the real game."  He counted himself among those, but didn't dare admit it so casually.  "In the meantime, Akihiko Kayaba's experiment is really being played against a much smaller group."  His eyes met Oscars as he spoke his next words.  "He doesn't need ten thousand names on the Monument of Life.  A few more hundred will guarantee that he will own them all."

• 2 weeks later...

"Well," Oscar said. "In my professional opinion, there's something rather distracting about having your actual literal life tied to a green bar on your periphery." Oscar shrugged his shoulders. Even being cognizant of their state wasn't enough in and of itself. There were several other mental hurdles. "I don't think you need to take it to the level we have in order for this game to be cleared. The game doesn't have anything to do with realizing that you can do some crazy stuff in here. As grim as it is, I think it's a glaring testament to the obstinate nature of humanity. We're a stubborn race. We were presented with a challenge and come Hell or high water - no matter how many people die in the process - we're going to get out of here. Even if, to most people, this game is probably the best place they could possibly be. I mean, think about it. When have you seen anyone lame or sick in here? Blind? Deaf? There's no resource scarcity in the real world. You can literally find the perfect spot and build the perfect dream home. I suppose it's the perfection that turns everyone off. I'm sick of it myself. But for the vast majority of people here, they can build a life they could only dream of in the real world."

"And yet so many people fray in here, some beyond the point of unraveling." It was funny how the stresses of SAO wore on the mind.  He'd faced his own challenges up front, and fared poorly for the first few years.  It had taken that long for him to build up the courage to face those fears, though he felt far better for having done so.  So many had been deeply scarred by Kayaba's revelation that they refused to pull off the scab for fear of additional pain.  Maybe they were just afraid of being afraid.   It was a curious paradox, especially in the light of Oscar's supposition.

"Professional opinion?  Are you a shrink or something?"  That might explain the suit.  Psychologists were weirder than most, in his opinion, and he'd been 'observed' by more than his share..  Maybe it was caused by exposure.  More likely, you had to be a certain amount of broken yourself to want to delve into the twisted ether of people's personal quirks, or madness.  Freyd looked at Oscar askance, wondering what trauma was hidden beneath that polished exterior.  To his companion, it would likely come across as nothing more than the common skepticism directed at the profession.

"That's Doctor Shrink to you, good sir," Oscar said with a mischievous grin. He paused for a moment, letting his joke hang in the air for a moment before chuckling and shaking his head. "Nah, not a shrink. Social worker. Got a couple degrees in Psychology and the related fields. Mostly worked with kids in the real world. City living likes to chew 'em up and spit 'em out before they even really know what they're doing." The man smiled wistfully. He couldn't deny that he missed his old job. His old life. But those were things he'd never truly get back. This whole ordeal has made sure of that. "Regardless of whether we get out of here or not, we're not going to be able to get back what we had. It's gonna take years of therapy just to figure out how to function in the real world again. At the very least, we'll all have developed a tick where we try to access our menus whenever we want something. At worst, we just won't be able to adjust anymore." That's the thing no one really considered. Kayaba had succeeded in sinking his claws deep into their psyches. Oscar let out a sigh. "Even if we win, we still lose in the end." 

Oscar could only grin at that last one. "Luckily the solution is so simple, it's stupid. Just need to change your definition of winning."

"Hrmf," was Frey's only response.  Were he a more 'average' person, he might have guffawed with laughter, his chest heaving with convulsions.  That just wasn't him.  His emotions, what few managed to work their way into his mental processes, rarely surfaced, let alone governed his actions.

"I'll probably be set, then.  I was never what you'd call 'well adjusted' in the first place, so I doubt it will make that much of a difference.  Trust me, Doc, I could keep you busy for quite a while."  

Another figure emerged from a blind spot up ahead, it's features concealed in shadows and an abundance of clothing, including an excessive and exaggerated collar.  Freyd gave Oscar a look that suggested this was expected.  

"Hey Bernie.  Have you got the details for us yet?"

"Yeah, yeah," replied the cloaked figure, a pair of wide, round spectacles visible beneath his wide-brimmed hat. "Sundered's got themselves a champion hiding out in the next canyon.  Has himself a bunch of lackeys to do his biddin'.  Matched the description you sent.  Now, where's my fee?"

"Confirmation first, Bernie," Frey replied hands open on either side of him to appear as non-threatening as possible.  "You know how this works.  Just like that time on floor thirteen."

"Fine," was the shadow's curt reply.  "Just like that time."  He pointed them in the right direction and melded back into his crook.

Once they had put some distance between them and the meeting place, Freyd whispered to Oscar.  "I've never worked with him on floor thirteen.  He also hates when I call him that.  That wasn't Bernie.  We're being setup."

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Oscar remained silent as Freyd parlayed with his associate. There was very little that he could add that Freyd didn't already cover. He wasn't one for reconnaissance, really. He was the thing you dropped when the recon was done.

"I've never worked with him on floor thirteen.  He also hates when I call him that.  That wasn't Bernie.  We're being setup."

Oscar's eyes widened a bit behind his shades. He'd just got on board with the whole sentient NPCs idea. Now they were directly messing with them. They were showing a sort of sophistication that, frankly, Oscar just wasn't ready for. Imagine how much of a threat they could be on the higher floors where enemies had the stats to back up their newfound sentience. At least, for now, he could take solace in the fact that - regardless of what came his way - these enemies were still stuck following the conventions set by the System. Cardinal drew the lines and they, at least for now, lacked the ability to color outside of them. There was something rather intoxicating about having the biggest dick on the whole fucking floor. It was a sensation that he couldn't hope to match in the real world.

"Oh no," Oscar responded sarcastically. "Whatever will we do?"

"Get your smite-stick ready, buddy.  We're going to town."

Freyd's sword was back in hand an instant later.  His piercing eyes scanned their surroundings with every step.  Oscar was the artillery in their pairing.  His job was to serve as spotter.  It proved to be far too easy ; disturbingly so, actually.  The ever-present ash in the air on this floor had a tendency to bury tracks within hours - sometimes minutes.  The two men hadn't needed to go far before they found a wide trail of trampled cinders that could only be attributed to a wide column of marching troops.  That meant dozens at best, or several hundred at the worst. 

Mechanically, regardless of their stats, those numbers were going to be a problem.  Following the path laid out by their trail, Freyd spotted an overlook on a high ridge with a couple of poorly hidden sentries.  A larger figure wandered between them and they snapped to attention.  

"That's where we want to be," he said to Oscar pointing upward.  "If we use their tracks as cover for our own, we can get to the blind spot below their ridge, climb up and catch them by surprise.  It'll be our best chance to avoid taking on an entire army.  I'd be surprised if even you have the energy for quite that long a slog.  Unless you have another idea?"

"I don't really think that'll be necessary. I'd rather have the precision," Oscar said. With a flash of white brilliance, the System generated the model of his handicap-axe. Money Shot was a gaudy hunk of metal and jewels. He draped his axe over his shoulders, holding it in place with his wrists. He let out a bored yawn. His eyes flicked up to the figures standing on the ridge. Then back down to Freyd as he laid out the plan. Sneaking? Climbing? Oscar wasn't dressed for skulking about in the dirt. "Remember what I said about internalizing your video game character status?" He released his axe, letting it fall into place and tightening his grip around the haft. He crouched down low, planted his feet. A steadying breath escaped his lips. 

And then he jumped.

Leaped would probably be more accurate. There were probably several dozen verbs in the English language that would describe what Oscar did. But none of them would ever attempt to claim that what Oscar did was anything a human should have found possible. Like a torpedo, Oscar surged up and forward. He cleared the overlook, his arcing trajectory bringing him back down to earth directly in the midst of the three figures. The shock on their faces was palpable. Oscar threw up one hand in a halfhearted wave. "'Sup," he asked.

They didn't get the opportunity to answer. Money Shot swung about Oscar's body like a whip. He tore through the trio in a single swing, dropping their health bars to non-existence. Taking Freyd's advice to heart, Oscar made a quick escape. He didn't want to be the reason for any alarm being raised. He hopped off the overlook and made his way back down the beaten path. Stealth was good and all, but Oscar refused to shy away from anything. Either he'd fight on his feet, face-to-face or he wouldn't fight at all.

On his return, he patted Freyd on the back. "That was what I meant."

Spoiler

Oscar HP: 1,294/1,330 | EN: 112/130 | DMG: 19 | ACC: 5 | EVA: 2 | MIT: 106 | 36 BLD [BD8-10] | ABS. ACC | -3 EN Cost | -1 EN Cost 1/3

Iron Guardian HP: 0/225 | DMG: 200 | 12 THNS | ID: 166539 | BD: 9, Deal 280 DMG
Iron Knight HP: 0/72 | DMG: 120 | 12 THNS | ID: 166540 | BD: 10, Deal 294 DMG
Iron Knight HP: 0/72 | DMG: 120 | 12 THNS | ID: 166541 | BD: 2+5, Deal 266 DMG

Freyd stood with his arms crossed as he watched Oscar sail through the air with all the subtlety of a lead balloon, followed by bodies bursting into crystalline explosions that might as well have been as obvious as flares to anyone who was watching.  His hand covered his face at that last part.  Oscar landed back beside him, his light coloured suit shining like a beacon through the skies and giving away their position.

"That was what I meant," he said.  Patting him like he was some kind of shy puppy.

"Oh, yeah, I totally got it the first time," he replied sarcastically, pointing to several dozen airborne riders streaking in their direction on the backs of some kind of winged lizards, possibly wyverns.  "They,  however, are why I was really rather in favour of the subtle approach."  Another large group of land-bound riders also rounded far edge of the ridge from which Oscar had just returned, mounted on giant armored millipede-looking things with a single glowing eye between an array of black antennae and chomping mandibles.

"And any intel I was hoping for has now been left up there.  Thanks."

Oscar knew that he should probably feel some sort of concern for his safety as the army amassed around them. Fact was, however, he didn't. Frankly, all he saw - despite all of their bluster - was a bunch of cannon fodder who didn't realize they were cannon fodder. But, it did pose a problem. Oscar didn't want Freyd to walk away empty-handed. If they got bogged down trying to fight this army, then any hope of gathering intel would be lost. Oscar could just as easily obliterate them with an explosion from Tesseleth's Fury, but - again - it would also obliterate any intel to be found in the area. There was little hope of trapping them here either. They had the benefit of air superiority. They could easily run them down. Not that they'd be particularly threatening once they had. There wasn't much that came to mind, but Oscar wasn't the most tactically-minded between the two of them. "So, what should we do now then? Not like running's an option."

Freyd clenched his teeth, pursing his lips into a one-sided smirk.  Apparently, this was his 'thinking in a crisis' face.

"Awww, hell..."  His eyes darted over the unfolding scene, processing a dozen scenarios in an instant.  "Get the riders to move under the ridge, to the spot where I suggested we start our climb, and be ready to book it quick.  You'll recognize the sign when you see it.  I'm going to search the top of that ridge."

Timing was crucial and there wasn't enough to spare for a response.  Leaping high into the air in virtually the same trajectory that Oscar had used to reach the plateau in the first place, Freyd skidded to a stop in the centre of the small command post.  Half of it had already been shredded when Oscar's enthusiasm had destroyed its most recent occupants.  Mere moments were available.  He could already hear the screeches of the diving riders from above.  Fortune smiled for a change. He spotted a courier's case made of displacer-beast hide.  It was an especially rare material known to be used by the dark elves who resided on floor twenty-one.  It was reserved for only the most sensitive missives.  More importantly: it had no place being here on floor nine.  Snatching it with seconds to spare, he flipped into an inverted spin with the same action and slashed his sword very precisely across the ground between himself and the rest of the hill, empowered by his sword art.  A giant cloud of rocky shrapnel sprayed up into the air and straight into the over-committed riders who realized that it was already too late for them to break off.

*CRACK*

The entire ledge had been severed from the rest of the hill.  As the wyvern riders were perforated by his cloud of improvised flak, Freyd adjusted his footing to ride the largest ever all-rock surfboard down into the valley below.  He just hoped Oscar had done his part.

"Right," Oscar confirmed. As Freyd took off, a portion of the riders banked off in order to intercept. Oscar dashed forward, Money Shot dissolving into fragments of data as the System generated Tessleth's Fury into his hand. He made and upward swing with the blade, launching a jet of flame skyward that would incinerate the would-be interceptors on contact. This gave Freyd some breathing room while also making Oscar a prime distraction. After all, it would be prudent to deal with the anti-air guy before going after the landlocked Freyd. He surged onward, occasionally stopping to launch another jet of black flame at the riders. If he kept on the pressure, they wouldn't be able to think clearly. The more of their comrades that died, the more single-mindedly they would pursue him. He quickly took shelter under the slope. Pressed against the wall, the riders went in for the kill. 

A loud crack tore through the air, followed by a rumbling up above. Oscar saw the fracture in the stone surface took off in a sprint. The Riders weren't so lucky. The entire stone face crashed down upon their heads. Rather than follow the path of the descending ledge, Oscar ran perpendicular to it. It would deal with the riders, yes. But only the airborne ones. They'd still have dudes with spears chasing them on millipedes. Before his rendezvous with Freyd, Oscar would need to deal with them. Once clear, he stopped and planted his feet. Spinning Tesseleth's Fury over his head, he summoned up the might of the Tyrant from within the obsidian-bladed weapon. Then, he struck the ground.

A sea of black flame erupted before him, washing over the land-locked riders and bringing them to a swift end. Drowned under black flame. Oscar was certain Freyd would find what it was that he was looking for - so certain that he was willing to risk further destruction just to get the pressure off. As the flames abated, Oscar followed the path of destruction created by the falling ledge down into the valley where, much to his pleasure, he saw Freyd with an important-looking satchel in hand.

"Alright. I'll admit when I'm wrong. Your plan was better," Oscar said. "Mine was more fun though."

"Granted," Freyd agreed still sporting a goofy smile following his little escapade.  The cylinder had previously been opened, so the risk of exposing its contents were deemed to be minimal.  Pulling a rolled sheet of crinkly vellum from within, it had a slight purple colouring and smelled vaguely of fungus.  He expected it to be encoded, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it had already been deciphered.  

"You must caught them so off guard that they had no time to destroy it.  That, or someone up there was really sloppy.  I'd be giving an agent a rather terse scolding before kicking them out of O&I if I ever found them doing something like this."  Most of the content was meaningless.  The references were deliberately oblique, but they hinted at something major brewing.  The last line caught his attention.  

Marshal all forces in the northwest arm of Castor's Draw on floor 21.  We march on those above at midnight on-

Freyd barely turned his head in time to dodge the the sword thrust that destroyed the missive as it pierced it from behind.  Bernie.

"You shouldn't have looked!"

An upward flash of Freyd's white blade was all it took to shatter the false broker's form into a thousand glittering shards.

Spoiler

image.png.5c46082920478554ada74f46c3bb909b.png

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:940/940 | EN:83/92 | DMG:16 | MIT:18 | EVA:3 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:2 | BLD:12

Broker attacks first:

MD: 7 - 3 = 4 (miss).  Mysterious Information Broker misses Freyd.

Spoiler

image.png.67a239fefa25c224495d49fb8a010be6.png

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3) = 9 EN

BD: 2 + 4 = 6 (hit).  Freyd deals 208 damage to Mysterious Information Broker.

Mysterious Information Broker HP 0/150 | DMG 200 (Paralyze on MD 9 or 10, 1 turn)(Heals 50 HP on CD 10+)  (150 - 208)

"It looks like ol' Bernie there could use some of that Medicare for All right about now," Oscar said with no small amount of glee. The joke might have been a bit before Freyd's time but Oscar found it hilarious. "Anyway, what did you manage to find out? You looked like you noticed something there before Bernie started 'asking for your financial support.'" Oscar doubled over with laughter. He knew there was probably no way a Japanese kid would really understand the meaning of the joke considering it revolved around American politics from ten years ago. But fuck if it wasn't funny as hell to Oscar. He finally got a hold of himself and returned to his full height, wiping a tear from his eye as the fit of raucous laughter subsided into infrequent small chuckles. "Seriously though. They still plannin' on fucking with the Tanabata event? I don't imagine it'll end well for them. I know for a fact about 90% of the Frontliners are going to be there and they're no slouches."

"Whuh... what?"  Freyd was still processing what he'd just read, and Bernie's predictable but ill-timed attack.  "Wait?  Sanders?"  He shook Oscar's joke free as it was cluttering up his thoughts.

"The message included orders to marshal troops in a tunnel on floor twenty one, for an attack 'above'.  My guess is that they'll be going after the Tanabata event, but there wasn't enough on the note to determine when, how or exactly where.  I need to get my ass up to 21 and track down more information.  Think you can muster a defense at Coral, if need be?"  Freyd's relaxed mood and banter were gone.  There was a crisis at hand.  He was in his element.

"We'll have tipped them off with our attack here.  At least the sheer amount of collateral damage will help.  Their champion will eventually re-spawn, but he only saw your face.  You're cunning plan may have worked after all, Baldrick.  Sorry about that.  We need to play for time."

"If we want to mount a counterattack on Floor 21, I can go ahead and get my guild involved. Frankly, at least as far as weaponry goes, I'm the weakest one in the Guild," Oscar said. If Freyd thought Tesseleth's Fury was impressive, he'd have to wait and see Dawn's Demise in action. So would Oscar, honestly. He'd yet to really see Bahr draw that particular blade. Just wasn't anything serious enough to bring it out for. But a bunch of sentient NPCs trying to bring the attendees of an event to slaughter? That was probably more than important enough. "Really though, there's only six of us. And we're up against an entire army. We might need to coordinate with your Guild as well. Alternatively we could just let it happen." Oscar let the idea hang in the air for a minute. "Worst case, they'll be dropping the most powerful players in Aincrad right on their own heads. I've seen some of these guys fight. I wouldn't want to give them a reason to really bring it. A reason like a bunch of low-levels that need protecting. The NPCs think they have the element of surprise. All we need to do is get the word out and this little uprising of theirs blows up in their faces."

"Floor 21 is too big to scatter our limited resources."  He agreed.  "We know their target, so we might as well concentrate our efforts there and lay some form of trap, as you say.  What guild are you in anyway, that has these powerhouses in it?!  Firm Anima can't bring that kind of power to bear, but we're capable and numerous and can ensure that many of the weaker players are protected."

He was already planning the shortest route to Tomoika.  Several UI windows popped up around him as he tried to determine where Castor's Draw might be.  Hopefully, the mobs used the same place names as everyone else.  He'd wager that it was likely, coding being what it was in these games, and he'd played many.

"Yogan's Village is less than a mile from here."  He pointed in the proper direction.  "We should be able to make a bee line there, then split up to cover our respective tasks faster.  If you need to get word to me by reliable means, there are two friends of mine that man my shop in Angel's Point on floor 13.  Their names are Quip and Dingo - don't ask.  They can be trusted."

"It's called The Tarot. We really try to stay out of the spotlight. But, considering just how dangerous this entire situation is, I feel like it warrants sending out a message. Can't promise full response, but we'll definitely get some reinforcements," Oscar said. They had a lot to prepare and not a huge amount of time to do it in. But they were in the home stretch. Mobilizing everyone was the hard part. Once the fighting started, the rush of blood would take care of most of the heavy lifting. It was just a matter of getting from where they were until there. "Regardless, Raidou is a badass. We'd really only make the operation that much more likely to succeed if he took the field as well. I'll get things handled on my end though. They'll probably think I'm crazy, but yanno. They already think I'm crazy. I'll meet up with you on Floor 21 boss." As easy as it would be to just dip via teleportation, they really couldn't afford for either of them to get waylaid while heading back to town. So, Oscar elected to accompany Freyd to Yogan's Village. Once there, they did indeed split up. Freyd going off to do his thing and Oscar going off to go home. Why fall all over himself trying to mobilize everyone when he could just send everyone in his guild a weird ass private message and have them come to him?

Thread Summary

Freyd
SP [2 quest, 1 Page, 1 Bonus, 1 Grace]
200 Col
<<Crystal of Support>> - Heal 30*tier of your party members' HP

Oscar
4 SP [2 Quest, 1 Page, 1 Bonus]
200 Col