[PP|F1]<<DHA: 1>>The Next Morning

After her experience with @Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows and Vie yesterday, Ruler was ready to continue her leveling spree. She was so close to being able to invest further in her weapon skill. Even though her main focus was to tank damage for her allies, she needed to be able to keep up the damage. The dragon that they were starting with shouldn't be difficult to handle at all with Freyd's help. It was unfortunate that Vie couldn't join them, but alas, it would just be the two of them.

Freyd had mentioned that he would be waiting by the main gate having coffee with a person named Marv. No one she knew in Firm Anima had that name, so it was curious. However, she would sooner or later would find him and wave him down from a distance, calling out his name. "Hey! Freyd!" When she stepped up to him, she smiled. "Good Morning. Ready to start the day?"

Spoiler

Name: Ruler
Level: 17
HP: 340/340
EN: 34/34

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 18
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Caliburn[THSS/Perfect/T1] DMG III
Armor: Maiden's Garb[Light Armor/Perfect/T1] MIT II; EVA I
Misc: Maiden's Forgiveness[Trinket/Perfect/T1] ACC III

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 3]
Fightning Spirit [Obtained]

Extra Skills:

Mods:

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(50hp)*3
Ice Cream Mochi - LD III*2
Special OH(50hp)*1
Rare Healing Potions(40hp)*5

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"Ah!  Ruler!"  Freyd saluted her with his steaming cup of black coffee.  "Good to see you.  I was just telling Marv all bout our past exploits against the Sand Shark and Amphis Serpens.  He's completely enthralled!"

'Marv' was one of a dozen generic and identical-looking guards posted at the main gate of the Town of Beginnings.  His plate armor appeared more ceremonial than practical, shining with all sorts of unnecessary baubles, including ridiculously oversized shoulder pauldrons that would probably knock him unconscious if he turned the wrong way.  A simple helmet left his face exposed, not that it ever revealed any expressions save boredom and the occasional pre-scheduled yawns.  Marv looked straight ahead.  He never blinked, never turned his eyes, and never actually engaged Freyd in his conversation in any way whatsoever.  Yet, Freyd visited him often to hold these little morning chats.

"Gotta run, Marv.  Keep keeping on, and all that.  Say hello to the missus, when you get a chance, and little Marv junior."  He patted the NPC gently on the shoulder and gestured for Ruler to wait a moment as he returned his cup and saucer to a barista at a nearby shop.  He tossed her a generous sum of col and a few compliments before exchanging goodbyes.  Fixing the last of the loose ties and buttons on his black cloth and leather jacket, he flipped his charcoal cowl over his head and politely gestured for Ruler to lead the way.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290 | EN:141/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 63
HP: 1290/1290
EN: 141/141

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:64
KEEN:1
HLY:6
FLN:6
LD:4

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 3]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Concentrated Joy (T3 Vitality 2)*3
Missing You (Instant T3 HP Recovery)*2
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Grave Injustice (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, Keen 1, Abs. ACC)*1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Tasty: Turn 2 identical food items into a Lesser Feast. A Lesser Feast contains 4 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

The golden maiden was surprised to say the least. She had hardly expected this 'Marv' character to be a guard within the cities, but she wasn't going to judge Freyd for his modes of coping with the situation. Enjoy the world for what it is.

"Morning." She said, trying to be a little more casual. Upon him gesturing her to lead the way, she stepped next to him and started to travel in the direction of the quest marker. The elegant armor that she normally wore was tucked away in her inventory, ready to be equipped at a moment's notice. It was cooler than walking around in a set of plate armor in the hot sun. "You and Marv look like good friends. He seems like a nice guy."

She knew that the guard was nothing but a generic program, but she wasn't going to try and spoil the man's fun with unnecessary reason.

Freyd beamed at her compliment.  "Marv is a star, and often dismissed as 'just an NPC', but I've had deeper and more meaningful conversations with him than many other 'real' people."  His tone was surprisingly soft and serene, especially given the oddity of his behaviour, but this was just who Freyd was.  He was unbalanced, and so kept everyone off balance as well?  Maybe.

Glancing sideways at Ruler, he suddenly appreciated that she wasn't actually wearing her traditional heavy armor.  "You dressed down."  A smile crept across his face.  "I wasn't sure you could manage it.  Nicely done.  Is there a special occasion?  Or is this how knights warm up for dragon hunting?"  It was only meant as banter.  Freyd was suspicious that there was more to Ruler than she was letting on.  If she was prepared to let her hair down, maybe her guard might follow?  It had to be worth a shot.  

• 2 weeks later...

The NPC's were set to interact with players under certain parameters. As long as Freyd continued to talk with the guard, he would continue to give the man generic lines of dialogue that surely would repeat or auro-generate in some way. That being said, Ruler wasn't going to berate the man for enjoying himself the way he chose. If he truly preferred relationships with digital phantoms over real people, then so be it.

Upon the mention of her armor being in her inventory, Ruler simply nodded with a smile. "Oh, yes. The sun makes the heavy plate armor unbearable on the first floor. I am currently at a level where the enemies of this floor no longer scare me. I will re-equip it for our fight with the dragon." Ruler could tell he was trying to poke a little fun at her. It was better than what he had talked about yesterday. Those personal questions were in the back of her mind after Katoka forced it out of her.

"Did you sleep well, Freyd? I hate to make you go out of your way to help me." She asked, trying to take the subject off her.

"As well as always," he replied pleasantly, though meaning not really, at all.  Such burdensome details were not for Ruler's ears.  He hardly remembered his nightmares, save to know that he had them.  Besides, in Aincrad, all he seemed to have to do was wait and they inevitably found a way to claw their way to the surface, like his Gemini.

"I wonder if picking up the Survival skill would assist you with the armor's discomfort?"  His black-cowled head perked up as he recalled the other matter he wished to discussed.

"There was something else I meant to address with you."  He stopped, waiting to ensure that he had her full and proper attention.  This was a notable occasion and deserved a certain degree of ceremony.  Holding both his hands level before him, the black-clad figure summoned into being a long white blade with an ostentatious silver hilt and cross guard, with its notable gold and red rose accents.  "Forgiven Disobedience,"  Freyd said the name with an unexpected degree of deference.  "It was gifted to me when I first left the Town of Beginnings.  My days with it are over, but it can still do some good."

He held it forward, presenting it to Ruler with clear intent that she should consider herself its new owner.  "May you serve each other well."

Spoiler

Forgiven Disobedience (T1 Perfect 2HSS – ACC 1 | BLEED 1 | HOLY 1)

-- [ Holy I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 gain 2 holy damage added to total base damage. ]
-- [ Bleed I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 12 unmitigated bleed damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. Bleed damage does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
-- [ Accuracy I | +1 ACC. ]

Acquisition ID: #142628A | Identification ID: #144574, #144575, #144576
[T1E3-2HSS]: A blade bleached white, with intricate rose gold accents snaking around its silver guard and pommel. It's an eyesore to look at, especially under bright conditions. When it sings, its enemies bleed ivory, the weapon more interested in stinging a poison of light moreso than spilling crimson blood.

Vanity Tag: @NIGHT

Ruler noticed Freyd's unwillingness to talk about his current state from that answer. Something was bothering him for sure, but she was much too curt to push him to ffigure out what was wrong. Even so, her thoughts were interrupted when her duo partner came to a halt. He had gained some degree of formality that seemed a little extreme for what she knew of Freyd, though that being said, she hadn't known the man for very long.

"Forgiven Disobedience? I already have my own weapon." She mentioned before clicking on the item's information window. It was a unique weapon. Ruler's jaw nearly dropped. "Freyd, I cannot accept this! I've not done a thing to earn such an amazing weapon! With my current set up, I think it would actually yield me less benefit than my current weapon since I have yet to collect a familiar.... Are you sure you want to hand this weapon over to me?"

Spoiler

Ruler accepts Forgiven Disobedience.

He smiled at her response.

"I had done less than nothing when it was cast at my feet - quite literally, actually."  He continued to hold it aloft for her to take.  "And, as the name implies, it's a weapon fit for breaking molds.  Perhaps a little rule-breaking might benefit you also, Ruler.  Find your familiar.  Wield the blade when you are ready.  I have only one condition: pass it on when you no longer have any use for it.  It is meant to be wielded."

He nodded, confirming his intention to pass on the sword.

"I can knight you with it, or something, if it'll make you feel any better."  His wry smile and teasing manner were back, but his stance unchanged.  It was an odd contrast to see someone whose garb suggested less than moral rectitude - actually, outright moral negligence - handing her a holy blade.  But Freyd had a well-established reputation as a man of contradictions.

A comment on her king-ship didn't really suit the blonde's attitude... did it? She just like the regal appearance, she wasn't actually trying to be a knight or queen, or anything like that. Looking over the blade another time, she was breath taken. A moment of quiet contemplation went by where Ruler debated denying the weapon outright. She was sure that someone else deserved it more than her, but Freyd's insistence was overwhelming her. Soon after, she gripped the blade for herself and added it to her inventory. She pulled it free of it's sheathe and gave it a few swings. Certainly longer than her current blade, and heavier. It would be difficult to get used to.

"Very well. If you believe that this blade is meant for me, I will accept it. Even more, I will work to become the proper wielder of it. Once it's legacy has surpassed me, I will pass it down to the next person. This will be my first step." As much as she wanted to use her new weapon, she could not. It wouldn't be helpful to her without a familiar to take the place of her current weapon.

"Okay!  Good.  That's settled.  I believe we now have an overgrown gekko that needs smiting.  And, if I recall correctly, it likes to hang out somewhere over yonder."  Frey pointed to a small copse of trees off the main road.  It didn't look overly dangerous and teeming with angry wildlife.  Mostly because it wasn't.  There really weren't any very dangerous areas on floor 1, unless you were under level 3 or 4.  These beasts would be easy for ruler to defeat.  While he was happy to assist a guild mate, there really wasn't any challenge left in this quest.  He'd done it three times in as many weeks.  

So, as far as Freyd was concerned, this was a leisurely stroll in the park with a budding new recruit.

"What drew you to Firm Anima?" He asked, wanting to offer something to keep the conversation going.  There was genuine interest behind the question.  He knew relatively little about her, other than that he reminded her an awful lot of Eruda.

Ruler cleared her throat now that that conversation was over. The task at hand was still on the table, they needed to kill the dragon in this area to start the next one. Thankfully, since Freyd already knew where the dragon was, it made searching for it much easier than expected.

Ruler drew her original blade and readied herself for the fight to come. As much as she wanted to give her new weapon a test run, it would only make her less effective until she got ahold of her familiar. "Companionship drew me to Firm Anima. Not much of another reason. I figured that working with new friends would be a benefit considering I am all alone in this world. We all have to look out for each other right?"

With Caliburn firmly gripped in her hands, Ruler readied herself for the Hatchling's approach. It wasn't far from it's nest, and far be it for her to call this thing a hatchling. It was actually much bigger than she expected. When it landed, her blade alit with a golden hue. Just short of her target, the grass between them felt the singe of her holy light. The dragon tail swept around her, but thankfully, she was agile enough to duck under it.

image.png

Spoiler

Ruler | HP: 340/340 | EN: 32/34 -(2) | DMG: 8 | MIT: 18 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3
Freyd |

Rhaegal | 125/125 | DMG 50 | MIT 25
<<Screech>> On a LD roll of 17+ when this boss attacks, this boss will let out a piercing wail that somehow freezes the player in place, removes all evasion properties.

"Yes, we do," Freyd agreed, watching her move gracefully to counter the dragon's attacks.  This was his third time doing this quest in as many weeks, and he was starting to feel a bit punchy about the sense of repetitious.  Not daring to deny Ruler her prize, he chose instead to walk casually past her with his sword drawn and held it high over the dragon's head.  Turning it so that only the flat of the blade would impact, he relaxed his arm and let the sword fall under it own weight.  

*CLANK*

Samael's Pride had brained the reptile, confusing the poor thing and refocusing its anger against Freyd.  For his part, the Whisper in Shadows had a single hand out, keeping the furious dragon at bay like he was in some sort of ridiculous Looney Tunes cartoon.

"Go ahead," he offered to Ruler with a casual tilt of his head and grandiose smile.

Basic attack = 1 EN.

ID: 170513 | BD: 10 (Crit +2, Holy +6).  Freyd deals (27 - 25 = 2) damage to Rhaegal.

[0] Ruler | HP: 340/340 | EN: 32/34 -(2) | DMG: 8 | MIT: 18 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3
[2]
Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290 | EN:140/141 (-1) | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64

Rhaegal | 123/125 | DMG 50 | MIT 25 (125 - 2)

Freyd's assistance, although nice, was unnecessary. She knew that even without his help she would be able to fell the mighty beast without hardly breaking a sweat. Though she wasn't going to ask him to just sit back and do nothing when she was effortlessly swinging her blade around and missing a ton swings. It was going to be difficult to miss this attack now that the dragon was stationary and occupied. With a golden blade, Ruler slashed several cuts through the scaled beast in mere seconds. The final hit left the dragon on it's side. A thud sounded as it collided with the grass.

"Feels like we are simply bullying the poor thing." She mentioned, stationing her sword to her shoulder in a resting position. "Hey, after this, would you like to help me find my familiar? If I'm going to make your gift work, I'll need to have a damage slots off my weapon. Then I can give the weapon a test run on the next dragon."

image.png

Spoiler

[2] Ruler | HP: 340/340 | EN: 33/34 | DMG: 9 | MIT: 18 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3
[2] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290 | EN:140/141 (-1) | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64

Rhaegal | 94/125 -((9*6)-25) | DMG 50 | MIT 25 | [STUN]

Freyd dipped the tip of his silver blade to the ground and stood casually next to it, resting.  The dragon was no threat, and Ruler was correct that she would have it beat in short order.  It was meant to be her quest and challenge, and she had things firmly under control.  Intervention was not required.

"Yes, I will help you find your familiar, if you wish it.  Do you know what you're looking for?"  His experiences in such things had been mixed.  It had taken considerable effort to find Persi, and Elora's familiar hunt had meandered, to say the least.  Katoka's by comparison, had been quite short.  He scratched his cowl, trying to come to grips with a sudden realization.

"How the hell did I become the newbie mentor?"  He laughed as he said it, partly to reassure Ruler and also not to offend.  "You'd think I'd be just about the last person people would approach for these things."  He grimaced at the reality of it and shrugged his shoulders.  "I suppose that it could be couched as a good investment."

Vanity Tag: @Elora @Katoka

Freyd takes no action.

Her damage was miniscule in comparison to what Freyd could muster. Breaking through the mitigation that this beast had was difficult, especially since her strongest sword art was so demanding of her energy bar. If she tried to spam it, she would be out of energy in no time at all. Still, she couldn't stand there and do nothing. Raising the sword in the stone, it's golden hue tore a red sliver into the dragon's side. It got over it's stun rather quickly, though snapping at her leg as she went to back off. Luckily, she was still faster than it.

"I think you happen to be a rather approachable person. There is nothing wrong with wanting to help people. That being said, I'm hardly a 'newbie'. These games are a home to me. I know there ins and outs more than you might guess. My offer was one of request, not one of assistance."

image.png

Spoiler

[4] Ruler | HP: 340/340 | EN: 18/34 -5 | DMG: 9 | MIT: 18 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3
[2] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290 | EN:140/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64

Rhaegal | 74/125 -((9*5)-25) | DMG 50 | MIT 25 | [STUN]

Freyd's eyes went wide, his sword flashing so quickly before their eyes that even the dragon hadn't seen its own killing blow.  A flash of blinding white light caused Ruler to shield her eyes against the dazzling display.  Freyd's eyes were receiving a busy signal as they tried to send impulses into synapses currently suffering a massive processing meltdown.

*CLANK* 

Samael's Pride struck the ground as the muscles and will holding it faltered.  The Whisper in Shadows stood stunned before her, a confused expression frozen on his face.  His furrowed brow was still trying to decipher what his brain had thought it had heard.  Surely, he had to be mistaken.

An offer of request, not assistance?

It took several more blinks to get his brain successfully restarted.  He physically shook his head trying to confirm whether he had heard her correctly.  It was doubtful that he even realized what he'd done to the poor dragon, so addled was his mind at the interpretation of her words.

"Uh... Ruler?  Are you telling me that you asked me out here on a date?"

Spoiler

[4] Ruler | HP: 340/340 | EN: 18/34 -5 | DMG: 9 | MIT: 18 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3
[4] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290 | EN:132/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN - (rested, Finesse 3, Turn Recovery) = 8 EN

ID #171204 | BD: 10 (Crit +2, Holy +6).  Freyd deals (13*27 = 351 - 25 = 326) damage to Rhaegal.

Rhaegal | 74/125 -((9*5)-25) | DMG 50 | MIT 25 | [STUN] (74 - 326)

A completely confused expression over took Ruler's face. He obviously misunderstood that she just wanted a friend to hang out it while she was looking for her familiar. Love was the last thing on her mind, for sure.

"God no," She exclaimed once the light from his attack dissipated enough. "I asked you to come along because gaming is so much more fun with friends. In no way am I ready to commit myself to a relationship, let alone with someone that I have hardly got the chance to know." The dragon was dead now. She hadn't expected him to simply kill the thing with a single slash. Either way, at least the quest was done and they could move on to the next one.

"If you do not want to come along, that's fine. I can handle a little searching without too much help. Should we head back to town then?"

A look of relief washed over Freyd's face as Ruler rejected any notion of romantic involvement.  "Oh, thank goodness for that!  Erm... well... you know what I meant."  The very notion of romantic attachment was so antithetical to Freyd's very concept of being that the very prospect of it had momentary thrown him into pure irrational limbo.  He had zero experience in the area and never spent any time pondering, let alone seeking such things.  A quick sign of relief escaped his lips.

"Okay... that's must more straightforward and easier to deal with.  You had me fooled for a second there."  Happy to move on to another topic, he waved Ruler along to the proper path.  "You can always call on me to assist, Ruler.  That's my job,... and my privilege."  The last words weighed heavily on Freyd as he said them, but there was a small, determined smile on his pursed lips after he said them. 

"Bring it on."

• 1 month later...

Alicia fixed her hair disturbed from the battle now that everything was all said and done. Sliding the her weapon back into its sheathe on her back, Ruler let out a sigh and a light smile. "Don't worry about it. I am not expecting everyone to help me just because my level falls much shorter from theirs. I will need to figure out a way to survive on my own, or I will never be able to help others with their own struggles."

Ruler started to make her way back towards town, expecting that Freyd would follow suit with her. Today was a resourceful day and she could use another day's break from the field. Soon she would be ready to start climbing, but she overwhelming herself now of all times would be the worst thing she could do. "If I have need of a partner for another quest, I will seek you out."

Nodding his agreement, Freyd walked along beside her, the drum of their steady footfalls on the dirt road measuring the passage of time and progress.  "My offer of help stands, for any members of Firm Anima.  Call me when you need me, and I will be there.  It's not a commitment I make lightly.  But I also suspect that you will do just fine, either way."  He offered Ruler a small smile of acknowledgement, content that he had given Forgiven Disobedience to a new and worthy master.  Her strength could only increase from here on out, and there were many in the guild who would rise with her, and benefit from her power and protection.  If he could help grow that, he would do so.  It was a safe and wise investment, and a means to keep his promise to look out for all of Firm Anima.   Parting ways as they returned to the City, he wished her well.

Thread Summary:

Ruler receives:

3 SP (1 page, +1 event, +1 quest)

900 col

<Rhaegal’s Emerald> [Vanity Quest Item] : 1 of 9, collect all 9 and meet whom that waits before you, only then will you get the grand prize.

Freyd receives:

2 SP (1 page, +1 event)