[F19/PP]The Beast vs The Marauder

If he hadn't been stunned, Oscar would have laughed. He dropped to one knee, this time a bit taken off guard over the incoming stun. He'd let Bahr have his moment to vent out his anger. The irony of him claiming he'd gotten where he was on his own power while berating him for not turning to his allies was not lost on Oscar, however. Had he not been robbed of his speech, he would have vocalized that. The stun would fade in a few seconds. He just needed to wait out the timer. He figured that, inevitably, it would have always came to this. Bahr was far too stubborn to see the merits in any course of action that he didn't decide upon. Arguing further would serve no purpose. You cannot argue with someone who assumes themselves to be in the right.

Spoiler

Oscar: HP: 1220/1440 | EN: 103/144 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 5 | EVA: 2 | BH: 72 | BLD: 36 (9-10) | ABS ACC | STUNNED

Concentration cooldown: 3/3
No Action

Bahr: HP: 1394/1470 | EN: 96/144 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 4 | BH: 73 | HB: 24 | LD: 5 | VAMP OFF | TAUNT | BLEEDING

It seemed that Oscar had finally found the good sense to stop talking down to Bahr. Either that, or his most recent Tempest had done a number on the man, turning him lame and denying him the opportunity to deliver another of his condescending quips. It wasn't enough that he'd turned into a murderer. He needed to rub it in by acting like any other opinion in the matter wasn't only wrong - it was evidence of intellectual folly, the consequence of those he deemed less intelligent than himself having a thought either way.

But Bahr preferred it this way. No words needed to be spoken. It hadn't done them any good, anyways. There was probably a lot more that could be communicated through their blades - and more efficiently - than anything their ol' noodles could come up with to fill the silence. There was no longer a need to pretend that they'd be changing each others' minds. 

Spoiler

Round 9

Bahr: HP: 1467/1470 | EN: 95/144 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 5 | BH: 73 | HB: 24 | LD: 5 | VAMP OFF | TAUNT

Disguise deployed, +1 EVA
Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-2 EN FOR MISS
ID: 177584 | BD: 3, Miss

Oscar: HP: 1220/1440 | EN: 102/144 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 5 | EVA: 2 | BH: 72 | BLD: 36 (9-10) | ABS ACC 

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

Round 9

Oscar: HP: 1292/1440 | EN: 90/144 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 5 | EVA: 2 | BH: 72 | BLD: 36 (9-10) | ABS ACC 

Explode Catapult[x14] vs Bahr -13 EN
ID: 178403, BD: 2+5-5, Miss

Bahr: HP: 1467/1470 | EN: 95/144 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 5 | BH: 73 | HB: 24 | LD: 5 | VAMP OFF | TAUNT

A swing and a miss. Honestly, Oscar couldn't really say that his heart was really in the fight at this point. He'd expected some epic battle, but he'd brought a pool noodle with him to the fight. Bahr had done the same. At this juncture, the two of them were just two brick walls bitching at one another. There was nothing substantive about their words. Neither would cede the debate to the other. Both arguments had their merits, but neither side was willing to accept what the other was saying. So much the better. If he couldn't put Bahr in his place, he could - at the absolute minimum - redirect Tyson's aggro. No reason to go after Bahr if Oscar had killed their friendship. Though it dawned on him that he was approaching tinfoil hat territory, the idea that someone had been shadowing him through stealth wasn't outside of the realm of possibility. If nothing else, this would be a good show for them.

"We just gonna keep hitting each other until this shit times out? Seems like the only way to decide this fight is with a Fallen activation and both of us left our good shit at home. My hate boner went flaccid about three rounds ago."

Edited by Oscar

The fight certainly had lost its zeal, hadn't it? As Bahr traced yet another line across Oscar's chest, his crimson and verdant orbs flickered to the health gauge in the upper left-hand corner of his HUD. Full. Hadn't Oscar been thrashing him with that ridiculous axe only a moment prior? 

A cursory glance at the gauge that wrapped around Oscar's collarbone revealed a similar story. Though not full, it may as well have been. It was maybe a fifth depeted? If that. Since Bahr's energy gauge was around two-fifths depleted, it was clear that it had become a war of prideful attrition rather than a fight for anything actually meaningful. Or, at the very least, it had lost all meaning when the determination was made that neither of them could become invested in one another's worldviews.

He took a step back and planted the tip of Dusk's Demise into the now loamy earth. Only ragged breathing from the pair and the constant patter-slap of rain meeting soil filled the silence that had abruptly taken over the clearing. Not unlike how the flames of their argument had seemingly died, the fallen tree, too, had lost its spark. Through a mess of wetted-down ivory hair that had been and cast over his eyes, Bahr held a steadfast and fierce gaze against his opponent. The determination Bahr still held in his were lost in the other's. They were deadened, hollow, and devoid of emotion.

"Why did you let this happen to you?" he finally asked. "You were my friend. One of my most trusted allies in this catastrophe of a world. Why did you allow yourself to become a shell of that man, defined by the machinations of an indignant child?"

Spoiler

Round 10

Bahr: HP: 1470/1470 | EN: 86/144 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 5 | BH: 73 | HB: 24 | LD: 5 | VAMP OFF | TAUNT

Disguise cooldown: 1/3
Bahr used [x13] Galaxy Destroyer-10 EN
ID: 178412 | BD: 8, Hit for 247-106=141 DMG

Oscar: HP: 1151/1440 | EN: 101/144 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 5 | EVA: 2 | BH: 72 | BLD: 36 (9-10) | ABS ACC 

Spoiler

Oscar: HP: 1440/1440 | EN: 87/144 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 5 | EVA: 2 | BH: 72 | BLD: 36 (9-10) | ABS ACC 

Oscar used Field Medic -15 EN [CD: 0/2]
Restore 288 HP, Battle Healing restores 72 HP

Bahr: HP: 1470/1470 | EN: 86/144 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 5 | BH: 73 | HB: 24 | LD: 5 | VAMP OFF | TAUNT

Oscar sighed as Bahr delivered yet another strike. Oscar had spent all this time trying to convince Bahr that whatever opinion the man had formed of him hadn't been entirely accurate. He snapped his fingers, a pulse of emerald energy engulfing him. The energy seeped into his body, the red gashes still marring his avatar fading away as his health bar was topped off with his skill. "Were allies? I suppose you might be right. Consider this my resignation, then."

"I've told you before. When a child has a gun on you, they cease to be a child. They're a threat. All your 'no one has the right to be judge, jury, and executioner' isn't going to save you when he makes his move. You're drunk on your own power. Past victories against unthinking, unfeeling opponents have made you cocky. You think you can win against a conflict with Tyson and his organization because you've won every fight you've picked in this game. You haven't played his game though. Trashing my store? Kidnapping Conciliator? Those were love taps. I know what this child is capable of. You're expecting a straight fight. A one-on-one where you get carried by your flashy little sword. You won't even see him until he's already taken away everything you give a damn about. The Guild? It'll be gone. Lessa? She'll be dead. Where will your fight be when that happens? Your morals?"

Oscar looked up towards the sky. A flash of lightning lit up the horizon. One... Two... Three...

The clouds overhead began to rumble. A loud thunderclap resounded. Oscar spoke again, his voice half drowned out by the sound of thunder. Bahr would still hear him, but whatever eyes Tyson had to have on him wouldn't. At least, that's what Oscar hoped. "At least, if they think I don't care about you all anymore, I can buy you guys some time to prepare."

Oscar wasn't a martyr. He wasn't trying to be. But if he could take some heat off of them - even if he severely damaged his relationships in the process - it would be a role he would gladly fill. The rain began to abate, the storm disappearing. "This goes well beyond Tyson anyway. His isn't the only organization that wants to sow death and destruction among the players. I'm declaring war on all Players who wish only to harm the innocent. You can try to stop me but you and I both know that you aren't going to kill me."

As Bahr listened to Oscar's monologue, he felt his grip on Dusk's Demise loosening. "I'm drunk on power?" he scoffed in disbelief. "Oscar, you're talking about murdering a child! In the real world, as a therapist, had a child held a gun to you, would you have attempted to deescalate and disarm him, or kill him? While I understand it's different here in Aincrad, you're still talking about whipping out a gun of your own against the kid instead of doing your job as a medical professional."

As the thunder filled the air with subtle vibrations, and Oscar muttered something about "buying you guys some time to prepare," Bahr could only shake his head. "No, Oscar. You should have come to us. You think I can't handle Tyson and his organization alone, but you can?"

"Declaring war against Player Killers, fine. But we have a proper way of doing that. When you're the last killer standing, and decide to try your hand at killing someone else you 'deem a threat,' rest assured..."
 he sheathed his blade against the small of his back and turned. "I will put you down."

Spoiler

Round 11 Duel concluded.

Bahr: HP: 1470/1470 | EN: 87/144 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 79 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 5 | BH: 73 | HB: 24 | LD: 5 | VAMP OFF | TAUNT

Disguise cooldown: 2/3
Bahr forfeits the duel.

Oscar: HP: 1440/1440 | EN: 87/144 | DMG: 18 | MIT: 106 | ACC: 5 | EVA: 2 | BH: 72 | BLD: 36 (9-10) | ABS ACC 

"What would you have me do, Bahr? Tyson's doing all of this because he thinks he can get away with it. Because the first time he shot me - yes, shot me - I showed restraint and took him in. He mistook my mercy for weakness. Me swinging back? Taking out his gang? That's the absolute last thing he expected," Oscar said. "You live in a different world, Bahr. You've never had your conscience die bit by bit while you worked with scum of the earth just to put food in your belly. Have a night with a roof over your head. I was lucky enough to hold onto mine long enough to fall into the hands of someone who gave a shit." Oscar put away his weapon as Bahr did, both of their tastes for the conflict turning to ash in their mouths. Much to his surprise, Bahr was the first to concede. It wasn't the win he wanted, but he would take it. At least if it meant they came to half of an understanding. "But, as I said, this isn't just about Tyson. It's about the Orange Guilds that prey on Players just trying to make their way in this game. This is about those Assassin Guilds who exist solely to kill others. I don't know which Tyson's group is yet, but I intend to find out. Psychopaths don't fear prisons Bahr. Prisons are guarded by people. People can be bought and manipulated. They are by no means a guarantee. I intend to send a clear hardline message that if you go out of your way to kill other Players without remorse, I will put you in the ground. Eye For An Eye is the only justice we can count on here. I would hope that you would do the same for me if I ever fall too far." 

With that, Oscar held a teleport crystal aloft and allowed it to transport him back to his usual haunt in Deepedge. There was nothing more to be said between the two of them. Oscar was going down a path that Bahr couldn't follow. With everything that had transpired between them today, it seemed like there was only one thing left to do. He swiped with his right hand, opening his menu. After navigating through a few interfaces, a message box popped up before him:

tarotleavefinal.jpg.4698d34cae386b4e7687fec5301a095e.jpg

His fingers lingered over the confirmed button for a long moment. Even after everything he'd said and done, it was still one hell of a cord to cut. Regardless, it needed to be done. He pressed the button, confirming his resignation from the Guild. Perhaps this would be enough to keep them out of Tyson's crosshairs. At least until Oscar could come up with a more permanent solution. Chances were though that the permanent solution would forever stain him in the minds of his friends - cursing him even as he fought so hard to keep them safe. Indeed, Oscar was going down a path Bahr couldn't follow. For this was a fight for him and him alone.

Thread Summary
Oscar and Bahr both receive SP (2 for Oscar, 4 for Bahr), 200 Col, and a lot of hurt feels