[F22 - PP] <<Training Your Friend>> "A Quarry-some Couple"

She probably should have just asked for directions, but she wanted the visit to be a surprise. Floor 22 couldn't have that many players living on it after all...right? Well, a few hours of searching for Katoka's residence proved otherwise. After hearing from Freyd that she too had successfully tamed a familiar, Elora found it fitting to invite the young samurai to train her companion while she further befriended Borris. Now, if I could just figure out where the hell she lives...I hope she doesn't think it's creepy that I've been out looking for her like this... 

Elora's fingers tightened their grip around the ceramic ledge of a small container of confectionaries. It was her hope that if this was the case, Katoka would still accept her offer so long as she bribed her with some sort of dessert. Although, Elora wasn't so certain that these ones would meet her standards. Stumbling upon a sizable edo-period inspired estate, Elora could only hope that it was the home of her fellow guild-mate. She approached its front gates with caution before offering a boisterous knock against one of their many wooden planks. "Hey, Katoka -- If you live here, then let me in!", she announced with as much confidence as she could muster, "I made you food to help us train our familiars! Err -- but if you're not Katoka, you can't actually have any!", she felt it necessary to clarify that she wasn't offering handouts to just anyone she encountered.

Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:56/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1

Spoiler

Elora Consumes "Galaxial Water Snake"

Galaxial Water Snake x1 - Item Type: Tier 1 Unique Consumable
Effect: Provides +1 CD when rolling to train familiars in <<Taming your Friend>>. Can also be used to change a familiar’s appearance to a starry sky’s form of itself. Single-use item. CD buff lasts for one thread.

Spoiler

Name: Elora
Level: 26
HP: 520/520
EN: 52/52

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 8
Accuracy: 2
L.M.:2
KEEN:1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Unnamed Starting Weapon (T1 Rare 2HAS, ACC 1, DMG 1)
Armor: Auspicious Gi (T1 Rare Light Armor, LM 2)
Misc: Justicar's Vambraces (T1 Rare Trinket, ACC 1, KEEN 1

Skills:
2H Assault Spear [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
Finesse 2

Battle Ready Inventory:
T1 Healing Potions*5
Teleportation Crystal*5
Galaxial Water Snake*1
Requires Dimensional Backpack
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Edited by Elora

Katoka heard the chime of an alert while she was preparing a drink in her kitchen. She opened her game menu to see that there was someone knocking on her front gates. She arched a brow and made her way to the front door, she hadn't been expecting anyone today and hadn't received a message from anyone either. Opening her front door she heard a familiar voice from the other side.

"Elora?" she called out giggling at her response, walking down the front steps she opened the gate for her "I didn't know you were coming by today. Please, come in." she said as she gestured to her home. She led her friend inside and walked her to the living room, gesturing for her to sit down in the couch. "Do you want anything to drink? I can make you some coffee, or tea, or water if you prefer. Oh! Are these the treats that are for me but only if I'm me?" she asked as she opened the container and popped the food into her mouth. She held a hand to cheek and smiled, "Oooo, it's delicious Elora thank you!"

Katoka | HP:500/500 | EN:50/50 | DMG:10 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | ACC:2 | LD:1 | BLD:12 | REC:2

Spoiler

Katoka consumes the following:

Galaxial Water Snake x1 - Item Type: Tier 1 Unique Consumable
Effect: Provides +1 CD when rolling to train familiars in <<Taming your Friend>>. Can also be used to change a familiar’s appearance to a starry sky’s form of itself. Single-use item. CD buff lasts for one thread.

Spoiler

Name: Katoka
Level: 25
HP: 500/500
EN: 50/50

Stats:
Damage: 10
Mitigation: 5
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 2
LD:1
BLD:12
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Mumyou Sandanzuki (T1/Perfect/Katana) | BLD 1, DMG 2
Armor: Shinsengumi Yukata (T1/Perfect/Light Armor) | REC 2, EVA 1
Misc: Rabbit's Foot (T1/Perfect/Trinket) | ACC 2, LD 1

Skills:
Curved Sword [Rank 1]
Katana [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
Katana Finesse

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions*3
Teleportation Crystal*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"Oh good, it is you. Open the gate would you so I don't have to climb over the wall", her voiced was muffled and difficult to interpret from the other side of the bamboo barrier. Thankfully, Katoka opened the door, preventing her from having to embark on the escapade. Elora raised her free-hand up to rub her forehead, "Well, I wasn't sure if this was your place. You know how many people have Japanese houses around here? And who knows, maybe any other women could call out to me and sound just enough like you to get me to forfeit my donuts" On that cue, she opened the box to reveal four galaxial water snake-filled long johns with rainbow sprinkles on top: a true delicacy. "No, no -- I'll be fine. I tried my best to make them appetizing, but they came out looking a bit...deflated...Actually, having something to chase these down with probably isn't a bad idea"

As Katoka picked one up to eat, Elora did the same and used the opportunity to meander around and eye her foyer. "Anyway, nice place you got here. Seems like a lot of space for someone so...small..." Although the observation was blunt, she hadn't intended for it to be an insult.

Katoka smacked the side of her house, "This here is prime Japanese style. The cream of the crop. All these other imitators wish they had a place as nice as this." After a beat she began to giggle, "These donuts are fantastic, I'll grab some tea though" She walked into the kitchen to put the kettle on. Poking her head back into the living room she pouted, "Hush about me being short, we can't all be giants like you." She stuck her tongue out playfully and slipped back into the kitchen.

"So I figured out in the yard might be the best place to train our rowdy familiars." she called to Elora loudly as she set out some tea cups. "Any preference for you tea? I've pretty much everything!" from the window above the kitchen sink her familiar flew in from outside and hovered around Kat, observing with interest at what she was doing. "Done sunning yourself for the moment Hanami? We have guests today you know."

"A giant? I'm hardly above the average height of a woman -- at least from where I grew up", retorted Elora as she picked up a donut, which prompted Borris to unravel himself from her arm. It's icing was practically sliding off toward every minute direction she happened to tilt it in. Figuring it best to eat before it slopped onto the floor and made a mess, she swiftly stuffed the entire pastry into her mouth.

And just as Katoka asked her what kind of tea she wanted.

Great, brooded Elora as she tried to chew and swallow it before Katoka would notice. It wasn't working. "Ooommm...", she stalled as she lifted her hand to cover her mouth so that nothing would spill out, "Anefhing ish fine. Gef me somefhing exsheiting" Borris seemed to study Elora closely as she consumed the donut, then struggled to speak. He looked over to the donuts, then back to her before suddenly charging the carton and punching one in the center. Icing exploded in every direction, coating the walls, floors, and the front-side of the little golem with the sugary confection. "Borris!", shouted Elora as she practically inhaled her food, "What the hell -- no! Those aren't enemies!"

Spoiler

Chosen Familiar Mastery: Fighter

ID#: 174651 CD11 + 1 = 12 Successfully Trained Familiar (1/3)

Edited by Elora

Katoka fished around for some tea bags in her cabinets and giggled at the sound of Elora with donut in her mouth, "Leave some for me too!" she called as she found a box with exactly two bags left in it. "Guess I need to restock soon, I hope she likes Irish Breakfast."

Placing the tea bags in the mugs Kat waited for the tea kettle to whistle. As she stood there Hanami seemed to take an interest in the empty box on the counter, "You like the smell girl?" she asked as she stuffed her whole head inside. She giggled as she tried to pull her head out but the box remained attached, "Oh honey, let me get that off." She tried to reach out but Hanami instead flailed about wildly, whipping head head around before charging into the wall and smashing the box. It fell of her head and she dragon turned to Kat, huffing in satisfaction.

"Well, I guess that's one way to do it." she shook her head and picked up the box to dispose of it. The kettle then began to whistle in recognition of reaching the desired temperature. Katoka retrieved it from the stovetop and poured the water into the mugs with the bags, she placed them both on a small tray with a container of cream and brought it all out into the living room, Hanami floating behind her curiously. "You save any donuts for me?"

Spoiler

Katoka ID# 175135 CD: 11 + 1 = 12 SUCCESS | (1/3)

Elora pinched Borris's headstone and lifted him up, using a napkin to dab off any icing that had adhered to his makeshift appendages. "Yeah, there's two left. You and your familiar should probably hurry and eat them before he decides to play target practice again though" She gave the feisty golem a condescending glare as his arms pinwheeled in a vain attempt to free himself from her hold. "Oh, I guess I haven't actually told you yet -- his name is Borris. He's got a lot of...attitude...so hopefully he won't make this difficult for either of you" 

Frustrated with his containment, the creature disassembled, causing several stones of various shapes and sizes to clatter onto the floor like a bag of marbles that had been spilled. Elora simply sighed at the cacophonous sight. "Aaand of course you did that -- I'm actually surprised you waited so long this time" She turned to Kat with an expression not far departed from that of an exhausted mother, "This is how he expresses himself. As far as I know, he isn't able to speak"

Edited by Elora

Kat laughed at the little bundle of rocks and pebbles, "He's adorable, and if he spoke it'd probably be terrifying so that's probably for the better." The blonde picked up a doughnut and tore off a piece to feed to Hanami. "This is Hanami," she scratched behind the furry dragon's ears, "She's got spunk but I think we're going to get along fine." the dragon nibbled on the pastry and purred into her ear. "She reminds me a lot of a cat? It's funny really."

"So, anything new happening with you?" she asked before taking a sip of her tea. "I know we tend to quest a lot but it's been a little while since we've hung out." Kat took another bite of the pastry and leaned back on the couch, looking over at Elora as Borris reassembled himself. Hanami floated down and sniffed at the rock creature, curious as to what he was.

"Yeah, that's probably true. I bet he'd have a grating voice", she laughed in agreement with Katoka. "What made you choose that name for her? Does it mean anything in Japanese? I'm uh...not from Japan, so I'm still trying to learn the language" Elora wasn't entirely sure she wanted to admit the detail, but there was a chance that doing so would allow Katoka to help her understand more about - what seemed to be - the woman's native culture. "Well, I'm glad you had better luck catching a dragon", muttered Elora as she sunk back into her seat and started to sip from the still steaming cup of black tea. "Oh, thanks for making this by the way", she added somewhat shyly. 

"So, anything new happening with you?"

"Umm...", contemplated Elora as she struggled to recall what might have happened in her life outside of their escapades, "Wellll, I guess not much. Though, when Freyd and I were looking for Borris, we did kind of come across and get chased by a player killer" Elora took the opportunity to add suspense and gauge Katoka's interest by taking a moment to drink more of her tea before deciding whether or not to continue the story.

Katoka smiled as she watched their familiars as they inspected one another, "Hanami is the custom of gathering viewing the flower trees blooming for the fist couple of weeks in spring. When I found Hanami she was in a grove of Sakura trees, it seemed fairly fitting to me at least." She took another sip of her tea while listening to Elora.

"A player killer!" Kat turned to Elora in a panic, "Are you ok? I'm guessing you both got out alright at least." her face was a mask of concern, the thought of the two of them being chased by a murderer was terrifying to the samurai. "I got lucking when taming Hanami honestly, and Freyd was along for my trip as well. He's a good man." The blonde looked down at her tea before taking another sip. She hoped Freyd was doing well, she knew the assault on the 25th floor boss was fast approaching and wished him and the rest of their guild mates a safe fight.

Hearing that explanation made the name seem sentimental and understandably appropriate for the creature. "That sounds really nice", sighed Elora with a daydreamy expression, "I'd like to go see the cherry blossoms again. I don't think that I've really had the chance to appreciate them since Tanabata, and even then..." She trailed off and flashed a smirk at Katoka. The two of them both knew exactly how that peaceful night had been turned on its head. 

"Yeah, we both got away safely. It was dark out, so I think that made it difficult for them to follow us", pausing briefly to scratch her head, she added, "She, uh, had like -- a mob of NPC goons. They were running some sort of circus to lure in players we think. It was really weird..."

Elora couldn't help but start laughing after Katoka told her how Freyd had helped her find her familiar. "Wow, I can't believe he wanted to do that all again after how things went for us" She took another drink after taking a moment to stabilize the tea, which had begun to swish back and forth from her abrupt movements. Cupping the warm ceramic cup carefully in her hands, she found mind begin to flood with memories of their hunt: the thrill of racing down the waterfall, the comfort a meal together in the quiet mountain town, and the similar warmth of --

Her face began to flush.

Katoka doesn't need to know about that.

"Yeah, he is..."

Vanity tag: @Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by Elora

Remembering the events of the Tanabata celebration Katoka shuddered a bit, it certainly had been a night to remember. "Well I could take you to the spot where I found Hanami, it's really pretty and I'm sure it would make a fantastic picnic spot." she took another sip of her tea and finished off the pastry. Seeing Elora blush after talking about Freyd she got excited, her face switching to that of a smug cat, "Soooo, Freyd huh?" She nudged her friend a bit in the side with her elbow, "During your quest huh? That explains why he changed the subject as quickly as he did. So? Give me the deets!"

She hopped closer to her on the couch like an excited child, "Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine." Kat was excited to have a bit of girl talk about relationships, especially since hers was as fresh as it was. Normally she would be too embarrassed to talk about it but Elora was her closest friend and she wanted to share.

Elora nodded in agreement at the idea of having lunch where Katoka and Hanami had met. Before she could finish her drink, she noticed Katoka's eyes begin to widen, then narrow as she smirked and adopted a more suggestive expression. "Wha --", began Elora, her face turning an even deeper shade of red, "N-no -- nothing happened! T-there are no deetsShe took a final swig of her tea, hoping that the brief pause would be enough to imply the conversation's conclusion. 

Just then, Katoka scooted closer to her, "Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine." 

Dammit, how is someone as sweet as her so confrontational?! After a hesitant grumble, Elora gave in and decided to tell her friend what had happened. "Fiiine, I'll tell you! Just don't get all nosey and talk to Freyd about it -- This conversation is between us!" She pointed at Katoka warningly, her stern face still smothered by an unwelcome blush.

d863911d3a92956e62b88755e37d014b.thumb.jpg.c951f6813d923adf915665643264d306.jpg

After another brief huff, Elora started, "So, after we ran away from the circus, we decided to hide in the woods for a bit -- well, until morning -- when it would be safer for us to head back to the town" The green-haired woman couldn't help but look away in an effort to hide her embarrassment as she began to fidget in her seat, appearing somewhat flustered as she tried to recall the 'deets', "And, well, since we had to sleep in the forest, he kind of, let me rest my head against his shoulder so I could be more comfortable. And, I guess that I just -- sort of -- fell asleep like that while he stayed awaketokeepwatch" Rushing through and wincing at the girlish doting of that last part, she cautiously continued"But -- I don't know -- it wasn't like that. He just wanted to help me out. I-I was just surprised at how considerate it was, I guess" And how strong he was when he carried you, her mind nagged in the wake of her dismissal. 

Elora leaned back into the sofa and carefully crossed her arms, watching as Borris and Hanami seemed to play-fighting. The pair appeared to be playing a game of chase where Hanami would dash around the room as Borris tried to block her exit by planting his different stones in various sections of the room. During this particular attempt, Hanami thought she had escaped from him until one of his rocks rolled out from under a cabinent and slid beneath her foot. The nature of its rounded shape caused her to trip and fumble to a halt. This prompted all of Borris's pieces to gather beside her before they reassembled into his usual golem form, and he attempted to help her up. Geez, I've got to make sure he isn't being too violent. It looks like Hanami is alright though, she probably just gets some of her clumsiness from Katoka.

Spoiler

ID#: 176687 CD6 + 1 = 7 Successfully Trained Familiar (2/3)

Edited by Elora

Katoka held up her hand, "I would never tell anyone anything that you didn't want me to, you have my word. Not that Freyd would be able to comprehend someone liking him, he's too thick when it comes to emotions." she nodded and listened to Elora's tale. Hanging on every word she leaned in excited and covered her mouth in excitement when she said that she slept on his shoulder. "You're both adorable." she giggled and playfully slapped her friend's back.

The realization came that it was her turn and she flushed pink while taking a sip of her tea again, the cup was empty and she set it down with a sigh. "I um... May have been on a date recently... and now have a girlfriend." she turned away a bit, now embarrassed at her own telling. "Sam, from Firm Anima. I don't know if you've met her yet or not. We went on a quest together and happened to find out that we have a lot on common. Then we went on a date, a wonderfully beautiful date, and one thing led to another..." she fell short, certain that Elora didn't need that much detail. She was happy that she picked up the house earlier in the day, it had still been in shambles since that night.

Kat cleared her throat and saw Hanami play fighting with Borris, the little rock golem managed to get he best of her. She giggled as she watched the dragon faceplant on the floor and scurry around like a hyperactive cat to chase after the sentient collection of rocks.

Spoiler

Katoka ID# 176710 CD: 2 FAILURE

• 2 weeks later...

Elora shook her head. She couldn't pair any appearances of the members she had met with the name, and she was sure that Sam wasn't the only one. 

"We went on a quest together and happened to find out that we have a lot on common."

"Like what?", Elora found herself asking out of curiosity. She quickly cut off Katoka, following up with a question regarding an even more mysterious topic before the blonde even had the chance to answer. "Wait -- you mean like --?", she continued, staring fervently into the eyes of her friend as she tried to comprehend the implication, "Does that mean you and her -- but -- what -- no! How -- how would that even work...?" Elora trailed off as she seemed to recede into deep thought. Suddenly raising one hand to cover her face and the other to stop Katoka from continuing, she added, "Y-YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THAT! It was more rhetorical than anything else -- yeah -- I'm sure that it must happen, uh, somehow"

Waving her hand to ward off the awkward subject, she then clasped both together and tucked them firmly into her lap, lowering her head in subsequent embarrassment. "I'm sorry if that was too forward. It's just -- nothing I really know, I mean, nothing I've really learned about -- not where I've come from..."  

Edited by Elora

Katoka felt her face turn several shades of red and she covered her face, "I-I-It's fine. We are... We are together, dating, girlfriend and girlfriend." She looked back over to Elora, "I hope it doesn't make you uncomfortable or anything." feeling a sense of anxiety she genuinely did hope it didn't make her feel that way, she would hate to lose a friend over something like this. "As for the, um, other stuff. I won't go into detail but it happens, many ways." she sort of stared off into the distance for a moment as if reminiscing before feeling her face turn pink, "Men are dense and don't really know how to listen as I'm sure you know, so communicating with someone who..." she shook her head, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry I said I wouldn't--" Kat picked up a throw pillow and buried her face in it to hide her embarrassment.

"N-no! It doesn't make me uncomfortable, it's just -- something I'm not used to. I'm sure you're very happy together, so it's really not my business anyway!" Elora could only echo her friend's deepening blush as she reassured that the "act" was in fact, fully feasible.

"Men are dense and don't really know how to listen as I'm sure you know, so communicating with someone who..."

"S-so is it -- easier, then? To -- I mean -- at least understand each other on some level?" She couldn't helped but giggle awkwardly at Katoka's statement about men being dense. "And yeah, I know what you mean. Freyd is probably the most difficult guy to interpret that I've ever met. I just don't understand what he wants", she paused for a moment to reflect, "Honestly, it would make me feel better if that's because he doesn't even know what he wants, but I have a feeling that I'm just misinterpreting things." By this point, Elora was nervously twiddling her thumbs. Deciding it best to change the subjects to save them both some embarrassment, she began, "You mentioned that we could go see the cherry blossom trees sometime. Would you want to maybe do that today?" In case the suggestion wasn't convincing, she added, "I think Hanami and Borris are getting along really well. I'm just a little bit worried about them tearing up your house." 

It probably wouldn't hurt to propose something else too, just to give us some options. I don't want her to feel pressured to go all the way to that floor if she isn't feeling up to it. 

"Err -- we could also maybe drop by the guild hall and see if anyone there wants to help us train these guys. Though, I wouldn't want to wait around all day for people to show up. If we did that, we should probably only give it a little bit to see if anyone's around. Besides --", she continued, "Maybe we'll see people we know" Elora couldn't help but accompany that last remark with a smug smile.

Edited by Elora

Playing with her hair a bit and laughing nervously Katoka looked around the room, "Well, at first it was difficult because it was both our first time... Well, you know. But once you figure things out and uh, well when you both have the same--" she blushed deep scarlet again, "Not that I've done anything with a man before, but as a woman you just know the female form better."

Letting out an exhausted sigh she pressed her face into the throw pillow she was holding in her lap. Feeling relieved at the topic change Kat perked up, "Oh! The cherry blossoms would be lovely, but let's save that for a picnic or something to relax." the blonde stood up and scooped up her familiar, letting her wrap around her neck and begin to purr a bit like a cat. "However dropping in and seeing if there's a hooded dork and maybe a pretty tall brunette we can run into and bother might be a bit fun."

Katoka's smile mirrored Elora's own as she grabbed for her hand to pull her up from the couch, "Let's go tease your man shall we?" she giggled like a young school girl as they prepared to leave.

Elora crouched down and began collecting Borris's pebbles in turn, the task becoming less tedious as he began to reassemble himself into a bracelet that fashioned around her wrist. "Just remember if you embarrass me that that gives me permission to do the same to you!", she warned with a playful chuckle. 

After the two of them had reigned in their rowdy companions, they headed off to Firm Anima. Once they arrived, Elora took a moment to wonder, "Do you think we should try to train them outside, or is there like, a place to have them fight things inside? I honestly haven't looked around anywhere except the main hall" She had become so preoccupied with running quests that she hadn't found the time, nor the ambition to begin working on her profession as an Alchemist. That, and the fact that she was still so intimidated by the prospect of failing. "Well", she continued, "Maybe there's like a dojo or a stage for the martial artists and the performers to practice their stuff on. Guess it wouldn't hurt to see if anywhere is open right now"

Pulling her hands free from the pockets of her shorts, Elora tried to pull open -- "fucking...", she cussed beneath her breath before successfully pushing the doors forward and entering the building.

Trying not to laugh Katoka followed Elora into the guild hall, their footsteps echoing through the large building. "I'm not sure about a dojo or anything, I usually come here to raid the vault or the information archive about quests. Save for that I haven't explored as much." Kat rubbed the back of her head and grinned awkwardly. She looked around but was too scared to really open the doors and venture about deeper into the guild just yet. Hanami took this opportunity to float off of the samurai's neck and fly around the large room.

Kat watched her familiar as it caught sight of a moth fluttering about the room, zeroing in on her target he little dragon fired off like an arrow, snapping up the insect in an instant. "Nice job Hanami! The guild books will be safe another day." she giggled and began walking over to the large table in the center of the hall.

Spoiler

Katoka ID# 179196 CD: 9 + 1 = 10 SUCCESS | (2/3)