[PP|F5] Why Sand Gets Everywhere <<DHA5:Topaz>>

DHA5: The Topaz Hatchling

It may have been cruel to drag his companions from the frozen tundra of floor four to the blazing desert heat of floor 5, but Freyd paid little attention to the thought.  They'd been taking too many breaks, sipping too many drinks and lounging around too many cafe tables.  Something had changed his demeanor in the last dragon hunt.  He was driven now, and driving those around him to follow.

The oppressive heat fell on them like a heavy blanket the moment they appeared by the arch in Fortaleza - a blanket drenched in sweat and left to dry so that it was smothering in its residual stink and scratchy with parched irritation.  Persi came from this place, and they'd spent plenty of time here.  Freyd hardly seemed to notice the stifling wind and searing radiation of the sun that assaulted the others like they'd just entered some form of giant microwave oven.  

"Come on," he urged them on.  There are a series of canyons in El Perdito which is supposedly favoured by large reptiles.  Persi like to go there for snacks.  If we hurry, we can make it there before the sun gets far into the sky."  Only then did the rest of them realize, the sun still touched the early morning horizon.  Things were going to get a lot hotter.

@Haine @Katoka @Elora

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1430/1430 | EN:155/155 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | VAMP OFF:143 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:71

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 70
HP: 1430/1430
EN: 155/155

Stats:
Damage: 20
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:71
VAMP OFF:143
HLY:6
FLN:6
LD:4

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R2 [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics
Night Vision

Need rank 3

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Concentrated Joy (T3 Vitality 2)*3
Missing You (Instant T3 HP Recovery)*2
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Grave Injustice (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, Keen 1, Abs. ACC)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring: n/a

If this had actually been in the real world, Katoka was certain the extreme shift in temperatures would have made her sick. Instead she was mildly irritated at the increase in heat. Walking in a hunched over manor with her arms swinging loosely from side to side the samurai approached the cowled man and stopped at his side, "It's too damn hot here. What's with the hurry on this one anyways, this dragon steal your lunch money?"

Kat was now equipped with her new armor and katana, she removed her outer layer leaving her arms bear to try and alleviate the heat. Feeling a bit better she straightened herself up and looked at her companion, his face seemed a bit more concentrated than usual. The blonde squinted and looked for the others to see if they were close to arriving yet. "It shouldn't be much longer before the girls arrive. You need to get anything off your chest?" she asked in a bit more serious tone.

Katoka | HP:580/580 | EN:58/58 | DMG:12 | MIT:41 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | BLD:24

Spoiler

Name: Katoka
Level: 29
HP: 580/580
EN: 58/58

Stats:
Damage: 12
Mitigation: 41
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 3
BLD:24

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Iridescent Edge (T2/Perfect/Katana) | BLD 1, DMG 2
Armor: Bushido Haori (T2/Perfect/Light Armor) | MIT 2, EVA 1
Misc: Banded Ring of Warrior's Focus (Tierless/Perfect/Trinket) | ACC 3

Skills:
Curved Sword [Rank 1]
Katana [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
Katana Finesse R3

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions*3
Teleportation Crystal*5

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Hyperthermic shock. Yeah, that's probably how Elora would describe the effects of the abrupt and drastic change in temperature she'd just experienced. It made her feel sick to her stomach. Reluctantly, she held her gut and trudged forward, doing her best not to keel over and vomit onto the side of the sandstone alleyways that snaked throughout the city. Shortly after leaving the main portal, she came across Katoka and Freyd. Both seemed fully adjusted to the shift in climate. Elora straightened up and did her best to sweeten her sickened voice as she greeted them. After all, she didn't want to look like a wuss. "Geez, you guys sure are in a hurry. Why don't we just take it slow and appreciate the ennn...", she began to groan as she placed her hand on the gateway, leaning against it search of support, "Ennnvironment --", she managed to utter. Man, this heat is awful. I don't know how I'm gonna survive if it keeps up. Blessedly, it seemed that the entrance of the town led out into a narrow canyon bathed in a cool shadow. I hope that goes on for a little while. As long as we walk in the shade I'll probably be fine.

319ffcc328db1793537010e8ef8f543b.thumb.png.3b1d366fbe308d3332b9ff91d85bb729.png

Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:56/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1

Spoiler

Name: Elora
Level: 28
HP: 560/560
EN: 56/56

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 8
Accuracy: 2
L.M.:2
KEEN:1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Unnamed Starting Weapon (T1 Rare 2HAS, ACC 1, DMG 1)
Armor: Auspicious Gi (T1 Rare Light Armor, LM 2)
Misc: Justicar's Vambraces (T1 Rare Trinket, ACC 1, KEEN 1

Skills:
2H Assault Spear [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
Finesse 2

Battle Ready Inventory:
T1 Healing Potions*5
Teleportation Crystal*5
Requires Dimensional Backpack
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Edited by Elora

Freyd dismissed Katoka's concerns with a nonchalant wave, his eyes betraying nothing.  She had a kind and caring soul, fueled by a fierce heart.  Both would serve her well.  His musings were his own and not meant to burden others, especially his friends.  Caring had long been considered a liability in the twisted inner workings of his mind, and the debate still raged.  Recent conversations with Raidou and departure for the front lines loomed large in the buzzing analytical engine inside his head.

"Only how impressed I am by how far you've come, Katoka.  We'll have you blitzing through labyrinths and boss raids in no time."  His smile was genuine as he patted her shoulder twice, gently, with a gloved hand.  A message ping distracted him for a moment.  "Something's come up.  Haine had to run."  His brow furrowed momentarily as if he were assessing any potential threat from this change, but seemed to dismiss it.  His gaze shifted to Elora as she emerged from the portal.

"Are you okay over there, Elora?  We might need to run you through the Traveler so that you can pick up the survival skill."  If she was reacting this badly to the heat, he was concerned that trying out the Traveler might kill just her, especially since it was set on this particular floor.  "Fill up on water, if you need.  We can wait a few moments."  Freyd grimaced at himself for reminding him of the impending pressures of time.  "I'm sorry if I seem rushed, but the front liners will be gathering soon, and I expect to be joining them.  You'll have to do without me for awhile."  He glanced at both of them and pursed his lips, his eyes hardening with candor.  "But that won't be an issue for either of you anymore, will it?"  He nodded in response to his rhetorical question, and so that they were aware of his stand on the matter.  Both were more than ready to face Aincrad, but he thought it best to let them know his thoughts.

Freyd's words made Katoka's face flush, being told she was progressing so well was nice to hear. It wasn't long ago that she had been on this very same floor with Freyd, Vie, and Ruler, in fact she was certain that she was close to the same level that he was at when he brought they girls along. She felt a strange sense of nostalgia on top of the searing heat. Kat turned to see Elora dragging along, it seemed she wasn't doing as well in the rapid change of temperature either.

"If we hurry we can get out of this heat." Kat groaned. "I guess the boss fight is rapidly approaching huh?" her face showed concern. She knew Freyd could handle himself, but floor bosses were a whole new ballgame. "We may have to finish these last few up ourselves." she turned to Elora and nodded to her. "I think we can handle it though, I'm not the only one that's grown." she turned and looked over the landscape, holding her hand over her eyes the block the sun. Opening her inventory she double checked to be sure she had her canteen and that it was filled. Turning to the two she said, "Well, shall we traverse this hellscape and slay another dragon?"

Nodding in agreement to Katoka's call to start the journey, Elora made a quick stop at a well along the way to refill her canteen before they left the city. Her teetering stride gradually subsided into a sulking saunter as they wound through the canyons whose smooth sandstone walls stretched until they broke against a clear cerulean sky. Twisting striations of scarlet, cinnabar, and sangria mirrored the motion of an ancient river that would likely have coursed through this passage, had its design been influenced by geological formations in the real world.

Remaining silent to take in the view, Elora found her mind mulling over the idea of change in her own life. Had she really grown that much since the day she was trapped here? Certainly not as much as someone like Freyd, who had already soared through the system's ranks and was now preparing to fight alongside the game's strongest players in their crusade against a formidable boss. Sure, her and Katoka were fairly matched in skill, but she worried it wouldn't be long before her new companion excelled at a rate she could no longer keep up with.

The more she became consumed by her worries, the further behind she began to trudge from her friends as they made their way to the hiding place of the next hatchling. Forcing herself to break from her thoughts, she hurried her pace until she fell only slightly behind them. 

"Are you scared at all about joining The Frontliners, Freyd?", she asked quietly and with hesitancy. The question came from a place of concern, not in doubting his qualifications for the mission, but for gauging whether or not he experienced convictions, felt the same fear of failing other people as her. 

Edited by Elora

The question seemed to come out of nowhere, but it wasn't exactly surprising.  Freyd had been wrestling with his thoughts on the subject for some time.  He paused for a moment before responding.

"It's not fear," he finally said.  The tone of his voice seemed strong and certain.  "I have several concerns, the most pressing of which is the well-being of the guild and its members.  All of its members."  The last phrase caught their attention.  He struggles with whether or not to share this particular burden, but he trusted both of them. 

'Maybe just this time...' he told himself.

"Raidou's demeanor has grown more fatalistic of late.  The man is a mad genius.  He's built everything around him to ensure that players can continue to challenge the game if he ever falls, which he believes to be inevitable.  It's the curse of every tank, and one they must contend with openly if they are to play their part: they will eventually die."  He let that statement sink in for a few steps before continuing.  "Should that moment ever come to pass, Raidou has asked me to ensure that the guild endures by taking up his mantle." 

Freyd shoulders visibly sank as he spoke the words, as if speaking of it aloud was enough to demonstrate how he felt the weight of it.

"I promised him that I would."  His voice dropped near the end of the sentence. 

"The other half is more personal."  They could both see him chewing on his lips beneath his cowl, struggling to give words to his own inner struggle.  "It will come as no surprise to either of you that I'm not the most...emotive... person around.  The truth is that I locked that part of myself away long before I fell into this digital prison.  Being here has forced me to deal with the consequences of that decision.  It's both ugly and painful, and I hoped to spare you all from it, but I can't deny that it's there."

Freyd pace slowed until he finally stopped, pulling back his cowl he gazed upon them both.  His eyes were simultaneously filled with regret and ironclad resolve, struggling behind their natural red tinge.  "You should both know that I will do anything, and I mean that regardless of the personal consequence,  to get you all out of here.  But that type of determination carries a cost.  Raidou asked me, because he knows that I would pay that price, whatever it entails, even to the point of casting my own soul into shadow."

His gaze focused on Elora as he continued.  Freyd's voice never wavered, nor hesitated.

"So, when you ask me if I am afraid, I mean it sincerely that I have never been.  But we are walking into the very den of Shadow, and I cannot help but wonder if I will face myself.  If I do, and I come out the other side, I cannot help but wonder: what will be left of me?"

Vanity Tag: @Raidou

Kat wanted stood there in the blazing heat of the desert in silence. She was taking the time to process the information that Freyd had dropped. She had really only met Raidou in person once so she wasn't very familiar with him or his habits. However she thought it was rather foolish to just put yourself on the line and be so ready to throw yourself into the proverbial fire. It seemed Raidou made sure Freyd wouldn't do the same as him though with his promise.

She wasn't sure if it was the heat of the desert or the anger that began to bubble inside her, but she felt fit to burst. "You're both idiots." she managed to get out through clenched teeth. "You and Raidou, just ready to kill yourselves like it's nothing." Hot tears spilled from her eyes as she stepped into Freyd's view, "Your life means just as much as ours Freyd. I understand what you mean by doing anything to protect someone, but for you to be so ready to die?"

Katoka shook her head and tried to wipe away the still flowing tears, "You're an idiot. A stupid moron. How can you be so blind to the people around you that care about you? Do you think that Elora and I want to see you gone? I..." she let out a choked sob as her head slumped forward, "I don't want to lose one of my friends." Just as quickly as the tears came, they seemed to stop and she looked once again into Freyd's eyes, this time the fire of sheer stubborn will burned in them, "I'm going to get stronger. I'm not going to let you sacrifice yourself for me, or anyone for that matter." Stepping forward she poked her index finger into his chest, "Mark my words cowl head, I'll be protecting you soon."

With a satisfied nod, she wiped her wet cheeks and stepped back from the man before her. Now she had one more reason to grow, Katoka wasn't going to lose any friends to this death game if she had to drive her blade into Cardinal itself.

"Jesus...", muttered Elora in response to it all, You guys are both so dramatic, she wanted to say, but refrained from doing so. With crossed arms, she had stood and listened to her friends open up -- both in very different ways -- about the dire circumstances of this world. Elora didn't know what she'd expected Freyd's response to be, but she knew she didn't want to engage with the subject of their roles or their inevitable "fates" any longer than was necessary. 

"I'm going to get stronger. I'm not going to let you sacrifice yourself for me, or anyone for that matter. Mark my words cowl head, I'll be protecting you soon."

"That won't make you any different, Katoka", she stated with a lingering snap of annoyance to her voice, "If you're gonna vow to protect other people, then it's all the same. You're still risking your life at the expense of others' grief." Elora's seemingly colder eyes now flashed to meet with her's, "It's not anyone's duty to save anyone else here. If you're going to do it, fine -- but don't accept the baton of responsibility like it's something you're obligated to do. It's not admirable. It just makes weaker players feel like they need to sacrifice themselves for the sake of becoming stronger" Rarely would Elora become the voice-of-reason in conversations like these. If anything, her response seemed to unintentionally reveal some of the insecurities she had been dwelling on only moments ago. Still, she wasn't done yet.

Turning to lock eyes with Freyd once more, her expression appeared to soften, at least to a certain degree. "If Raidou's such a genius, then shouldn't you trust he's already accomplished what he set out to do? To make Firm Anima strong enough to stand without him? The guild's success doesn't hinge on the efforts of any one person, and if it does, then that's really f*cking stupid." Growing more frustrated at the thought, Elora's arms uncrossed. She threw her hands down to her sides, then continued, "Raidou is wrong if he thinks that no one else can carry their weight" The statement was practically a complete contradiction to the final one she had made in response to Katoka's promise. It was as if her stance was fluctuating between two different realities in her head, or rather, two different lies she had come to accept. 

"It's both ugly and painful, and I hoped to spare you all from it, but I can't deny that it's there."

She found it difficult to understand what Freyd had meant by that. What was he really sparing them from? His emotions? Why would she want for him to hide a part of himself from her? It didn't make any sense. If nothing else, it seemed like a selfish motivation for a seemingly selfless person to have. Elora found herself making an audible scoff at the thought.

"If you face yourself, then maybe you'll be able to see Freyd from the same perspective as the people who care about him -- not from the clouded confines of your own mind" And with that, Elora moved to brush past the two of them and continue moving forward. She had already spent too much time talking about their sh*tty situation. It was time for another distraction.

Edited by Elora

'They do not understand,' he told himself, letting their respective outbursts wash over him.  His features never shifted, not even by the slightest twitch.   Freyd had frozen his heart so that nothing could find purchase or harm it as he readied himself to walk into shadow.  He watched Elora as she walked away, and directed his words to Katoka, knowing that both could still hear him.

"You marvelous, wonderful woman," he said softly, slowly looking down at the fierce expression in Katoka's beautiful green eyes.  "I'm so proud of you both, but you've misunderstood my meaning.  Dying is easy.  When I say that I would endure anything, I mean those sacrifices that go well beyond throwing myself in front of an inconveniently-placed sword."  He placed a hand on her shoulder, feeling it vibrate with the passions still stirring inside her.  His cowled face lifted to watch Elora as she walked away.  "I would kill anything and anyone to clear the way for you, commit any crime or sin, break any promise, bathe in the blood of the innocent cut down by my own hand or damn my soul for eternity, even going so far as to steal babies from their candy.  I would sacrifice my chance at love," he paused there for the briefest instant, "...but I have absolutely no intention of dying." 

When he turned his gaze down upon her again, Katoka could see the red gleaming in his eyes.  It was if she was staring at pure and undeniable resolve.   His expression was completely blank, like he'd detached himself from everything else in pursuit of his goal.  Here, laid bare, was the true measure of Freyd's will.  You couldn't play chicken with him.  He would never flinch, unless it suited his purposes to do so.  Inflict any pain, and he would accept and endure, or reflect it upon others.   Wield things he cared about against him and he would give them up in order to save them, then turn upon yours in escalated retribution.  There was only one constant within him: he would drive on towards the goal at any cost, to himself or anyone.  She saw, then, why Raidou had made him promise.  This is what it might take to carry Firm Anima over the final finish line.  And, while he would take them there, Freyd would stay behind, because that was the penance he'd chosen for himself for all the things he had or might be forced to do.  He looked unnaturally at ease with the idea, which was utterly terrifying.  How could someone willing to go so far still have a green icon over his head?!

"Thank you for caring," he whispered, so quietly that they might have missed it as his hand slithered back to his side.  A long and sinister black sword wreathed in angelic while light manifested in its grasp.  The weapon itself seemed a paradox, like its wielder: part demon, part angel, willing to act as one, neither, or perhaps even both?  Footfalls fell forward as he moved to follow Elora.  There was a dragon to kill.

Standing behind her two friends she watched as they walked away, Katoka now felt as if her feelings were childish. Was it really so bad to want to protect someone? She didn't want to out pace Freyd and stand in front of an incoming blade to save his life. She wanted to stand next to him and fight along side both of them as equals. Maybe it was foolish to think that Elora would be on the same page, she had a much more mature and level way of thinking of things it seemed. Kat would rush in on instinct despite having made a plan ahead of time, throwing caution to the wind.

"Am I even doing the right thing?" she asked aloud as the two got further away, "Is it really that bad that I want to help..." Her heart sank in her chest and despite the heat she hugged herself and rubbed her arms as if she was cold. She began to walk forward to follow the two, but kept her distance so she would process everything that they had both said.

Elora sighed as she retrieved the canteen from her belt. After sparing only a moment to witness Freyd placing a hand on Katoka's shoulder, she took an unsteady swig of its contents, then turned away to pursue whatever place they were expecting to encounter the hatchling. Anything to create distance between her and the scene that had just unfolded. 

Why do you choose to do this to yourself?, began the voice of regret, You know that Katoka was only trying to help. You know that Freyd was trying to open up. Aren't you -- shouldn't I...be trying too...? Elora's jaw tensed in retaliation to the passing thought, as if doing so would force her swallow it, prevent her from confronting its truth. You will only make things worse. You aren't good enough to --

"It's good", she stated in defiance of the doubts that were still swarming loudly in the back of her mind, "It's good that...both of you are willing...to endure so much for the benefit of others..." The water within the canteen sloshed faintly as Elora fumbled it in her hands, seemingly exercising it as prop to help her think as she continued to speak, "I don't know how you don't worry about failing. I don't know -- how you know when you're strong enough to have other people depend on you" Elora's statements gave no apology for her behavior; however, they did expose deeply-held worries that had, at least in part, contributed to fueling it. Her attempt to mend the dispute was far from perfect, but she demanded herself to make the effort nonetheless.

Freyd stopped, mid-stride, as he heard Katoka's words to herself.

"Don't," he said with a strange mix of stern concern.  The edge of a red eye could barely be seen from the corner of his turned cowl, as if his defenses had instantly re-established themselves, yet not fully.  "Never doubt yourself or your desire to help others.  It makes you magnificent, Katoka.  And I have never doubted your strength.  I only meant to reveal the truth, since I was asked.  You both deserved to know."

Facing forward again, his lanky legs and long strides closed the distance to Elora quickly and silently.  The man had a strangely feline quality as he moved.  Perhaps it was just Persi's influence?   Sidling up beside her as she stood at the trail's edge, Freyd hovered in her peripheral vision as she fidgeted with her canteen.

"I fail all the time," he offered as strangely blunt reassurance.  "Failing is what makes us stronger, if we learn from it, as I've watched you learn."  His gloved hand came to rest over hers, to calm and still her nerves.  Some seemingly inscrutable struggle was taking place behind his eyes as he stole a glance into hers.  "Maybe you'll know when someone tells you," he paused, "... that you are ready."

His lips twitched, as if trying to form unfamiliar words, or give voice to feelings he thought could never be.  Then the wind picked up, and searing sands whipped about them seeking to scour their flesh.  Freyd's hand tensed over hers, before releasing with palpable hesitation.

"It's here."

The words were barely spoken, and his touch broken, before Freyd was gone.  Blending into the sudden, roiling storm where the roar of the dragon matched that of the winds, he charged madly towards the danger - or perhaps just away from feelings too raw to explain.  Flashes of white lightning flared in the haze, outlining the silhouette of the man and beast as they clashed, like a series of vignettes on an antiquated projector, they would appear and disappear again, moving in the darkness between each frame.

Twin cries of rage and anguish overlapped as the spontaneous maelstrom of whirling dust and sand suddenly dissipated as quickly as it had arrived.  Freyd seemed to plummet from a lost perch ten feet in the air, surrounded by a dispersing cloud of misty white motes before crashing to his knees on the sandy ground below.  The sword in his hand was a blazing beacon of brilliant holy light that slowly dimmed in the aftermath of the kill, held in check by the dark hands of his own black-clad figure.  It was a poignant contrast.

Standing back on his feet, Freyd stood before them feeling his spirit laid bare: part noble and villainous, yet somehow defined by neither.  He looked both frail and fiercely lethal as he regained his footing and wobbled to lean on his sword.  Samael's Pride's naming was no accident.  Something in his eyes and bearing told them with unspoken words that he knew he needed them, and valued their friendship, yet also hinted at the toll that such an admission was somehow taking on him.

Spoiler

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1430/1430 | EN:146/155 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | VAMP OFF:143 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:71
Katoka | HP:580/580 | EN:58/58 | DMG:12 | MIT:41 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | BLD:24
Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:56/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN - (Rested 1/2, Finesse 3) = 9 EN

ID #178156 | BD: 10 (Crit +2, HOLY +6).  Freyd deals (13*28=364-55=309) damage to Tabaluga.

Tabaluga - the Topaz Hatchling | HP: 0 /300 | MIT: 55 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | DMG: 85 (300-309)
<<Summon Tiny Sandstorm>>: When you approach this dragon, he will summon up a sandstorm strong enough to give you a -1 to accuracy and evasion.

Katoka heaved a sigh and wiped her eyes, Freyd's words severing the doubts she was feeling then. She nodded to him and watched as he talked to Elora next, "How can someone be so good with their words." she thought. Taking a few steps forward she responded to Elora, "I worry about failing all the time. If I'm being honest it makes me so anxious thinking about making a mistake and possibly getting you or anyone else hurt. But it's that anxiety and worry that drives me to get stronger." she smiles and grabs her sword with her left hand while placing her right fist on her chest, "I want to beat that voice in the back of my head. I want to get strong and stand with you on the battlefield as an equal and not be afraid."

Assuming a regular standing position now she blushes a bit, "You're both really important people to me. I want you to know that. Also I'm sorry for this but--" she hugs Elora, "-- You're my best friend Elora."

"It's here."

Katoka turned to get into a battle ready position but Freyd was already gone. "Wh-Where?" with the sand kicking up and the various sounds of battle coming from inside the storm she sagged in disappointment. "He's going to kill it in one hit isn't he?"

Standing next to Elora, Kat leaned over a bit as they watched him jump and flip around, "I can see how you would like him, if I wasn't so gay I'd probably have a crush on him too." She giggled and nudged the green haired girl with her elbow. It felt good to laugh after the emotional overflow that had just happened. "Also, it's ok to not know when your strong enough. Sometimes it just happens as you grow. Half the time I just kind of... React? It's like my body moves on it's own without thinking. Which probably isn't great." she laughs and rubs the back of her head, "I think you're plenty strong and I hope that despite my overly expressive personality you'll continue to fight alongside me."

Upon feeling the unexpected touch of Freyd's hand cusping her own, Elora lifted her sights to meet with his. Only an instant passed before the man revoked his affectionate gesture and hurled himself into battle. She found herself standing alone, struggling to process the intention that she had sensed behind his gaze. Something about that specific interaction with him had felt -- different -- and that was all the conclusion she came to before Katoka approached her and began to speak. 

"I want to beat that voice in the back of my head."

Elora felt that she understood what her guildmate had been trying to explain. At the very least, she knew what it was like to have perpetually narcissistic thoughts. Whether or not she could win in a battle against them had yet to be determined. Still, she had already mustered up the courage to ignore them in an attempt to offer, what was admittedly, a half-hearted apology.

"I want to get strong and stand with you on the battlefield as an equal and not be afraid."

As an...equal...? Before Elora could fully grasp the significance of the sentiment, she felt herself being enveloped in some sort of consoling embrace. In contrast to before, the physical contact made her muscles tense, though only momentarily, before she steadily melted to welcome and accept its comfort. Searing tears welled in the basins of her eyes as she suddenly became overwhelmed by emotions that she could not explain. S-she doesn't...think that I'm...worse for being...for being weaker...? 

The sandstorm began to subside as Freyd successfully slaughtered the enemy. This was Elora's cue to reign in her expressions before anyone would have the chance to notice just how much the words had effected her. As Katoka pulled away, she quickly covered her eyes and began to to rub them dry with both of her gloved hands. 

"Goddammit, that thing got so much f*cking sand in my eyes!", she whined in a frustrated voice to make the ploy sound as convincing as possible. Elora could only sigh at her friend's jibe about Freyd. There was no point in insisting it wasn't like that. She would believe whatever she wanted to about their...affiliation. Well, it's really NOT like that, she reassured herself just for good measure. 

"Half the time I just kind of... React? It's like my body moves on it's own without thinking", continued Katoka.

"Trust me, I know what you mean", Elora reassured with an awkward chortle. 

"I hope that despite my overly expressive personality you'll continue to fight alongside me.", she concluded before the two of them set out to check on Freyd, who appeared to be somewhat shaken from whatever had taken place under the veil of the dragon's defenses. 

"I'll do my best", was all the reassurance that Elora could give before she rushed to help her -- friend. Yeah. That's what he was. 

Edited by Elora

A goofy grin spread across his face as his left leg stumbled and he fell face-first into the sand, his body convulsing as if being consumed by some kind of seizure.  Katoka reached him first and flipped his lanky form over with surprising ease.  Expecting to find him gagging or spitting up blood from some sort of deadly counterattack delivered by the dragon in its death throes, she was surprised and confused to find him laughing madly instead.  Freyd was in full-on guffaws, clutching his abdomen as he struggled to unfold himself and draw breath.

"You should... have seen... its face!" he said, a giant childish grin plastered across his own.  Flopping his head back onto the sandy ground just as Elora approached, his expression eased into one of simple pleasure and serenity as he gazed up at her, towering over him and upside down from this vantage.  The convulsions ended as his voice returned to it deep, usual tone.  

"I've been too serious, haven't I?  I'm sorry for that."  He closed his eyes, relaxing his features further, and causing all expression to fade, save the tiniest curve of contentment upon his lips.  This was a happy moment, despite the recent hardship of emotions.  Sparing a moment to capture its essence was critical.  It was over without warning.  Sitting instantly upright, like some kind of suddenly-activated automaton, Freyd hopped to his feet with uncanny agility and looked over both of his companions.  

"Are you both alright?"  His cowl cocked to one side.  "Elora, did you get some sand in your eyes?"  Neither of them could read him as he spoke the words.  The inscrutable eyes were back in their usual place.  Red as they were, he had trained them to read others rather than be read by them.  And yet, she alone could see something behind them that was struggling to find a place for itself in his vocabulary.  He just didn't know the words.

Katoka stood in stunned silence for a moment as Freyd was laughing. Laughing. She had never need more that a smirk or heard slight amusement in his voice. It took a few seconds for her brain to respond, and the end result was her joining in on the laughter. She laughed hard and long, wiping tears from her eyes as she finally began to calm down. "You're an idiot." she managed to get out as she grabbed his hand to help him get up, though with her small frame she wasn't really much in the way of help.

Kat lightly punched him on the arm, "Next time let us help a bit. Also you're always serious, it's kind of your thing." She shrugged and assessed the dragon's now empty lair. Sitting not far from Freyd were three glittering yellow gems. Stepping over she picked up one and added it to her inventory, then grabbed the other two and tossed them to her companions. She stood and watched the interaction between Freyd and Elora. He seemed concerned for her despite the return of his serious demeanor, this made the blonde peer around to look at Elora with a smug smile and give her a thumbs up.

"Oh I'm fine, though Elora may need a once over?" Katoka giggled and began walking quickly back in the direction they came.

Elora couldn't stop herself from succumbing to the pair's infectious laughter as the formally-stressful atmosphere transformed into one of pure glee. "Y-you didn't hit your head too hard, did you?", she crouched to rub his matted hair as she teased through influxes of giddy gasps for air. "I have no idea how you managed to see anything in that dust bowl, let alone its reaction" As Freyd climbed back onto his feet with a negligible amount of assistance from Katoka, Elora found herself wondering why this side of him seemed to reveal itself so scarcely. It would be fun if missions with him were always like this. I can almost imagine how different our encounter with the elves would have been if he'd decided to join us in dancing against them. Maybe the evasiveness of his playful personality was why Elora so often enjoyed getting to spend time with him. Finding unexpected ways to elicit new reactions from him was like a game, in its own way.

"Are you both alright? Elora, did you get some sand in your eyes?" 

"Yeah -- of course I did! Was I the only one that seriously had that problem?", she looked between the two of them in search of confirmation. 

"Oh I'm fine, though Elora may need a once over"

"Thaaat, won't be necessary", insisted Elora as she spared Katoka an unassuming, but still-warning glance that seemed to whisper, 'Shut it!'

Catching the quest item that had been tossed to her, Elora turned to trace Katoka's footsteps back to the town they had come from. "Let's try to head back as quickly as we can. Judging by the sun, I'd say it's roughly noon and I'm starting to feel the heat" 

Freyd held out an open palm, the mere act of contact being sufficient to have the egg vanish.  He watched the two women fleeing the field with rosy-cheeked alacrity.  For his part, he was honestly beginning to wonder if the dragons might be the easy part of this quest chain.  Lightly planting his sword's tip in the sand, he felt something cool slithering against his arm as a viscous black form poked her head out from beneath his sleeve.  Persi watched the others leaving and then turned her azure eyes to gaze into his, narrowing them as if she instantly pierced his veil.  Oozing her way down to the ground, like a slick of oil dripping out of his clothes, she found a warm spot on a nearby rock where she could curl up and sun herself.  Amazingly, Freyd got the hint.

To: Elora and Katoka

I'm going to hang around for a bit.  Persi's home is nearby, and she likes to visit from time to time.  Let's catch up for the next quest in a few days.

Thanks again.  For everything.

Slowing her pace so she could walk next to Elora, Kat fanned her face with her hand in an attempt to cool herself. "Ugh, I can't wait to get out of this heat. Not to mention rest up a bit from our chain dragon hunting. These last two really took it out of me." the blonde said as she continued on her trek back to town. They had managed to get halfway through the quest line fairly quickly, and she was certain that they could power through the remaining five with no issues. At least up until the last one, she remembered skimming the guild information logs and being intimidated by that upcoming battle.

Stopping for a moment Katoka had realized that Freyd hadn't followed them. A second later they both got the ping of a message. Opening it she saw he had decided to hang back, she scoffed a bit and looked to Elora, "He could have just told us as we were walking away, we were within shouting distance for a while there." She laughed and shook her head, "Well I'm looking forward to a bath to get all this sand off of me. It's in places I wasn't aware sand could even get."

Thread Summary

Each Player Receives:

4 SP (1 page + 1 event + 2 quest)

383 col

<Tabaluga’s Topaz> [Vanity Quest Item] : 1 of 9