[EV-F07] Storm of Shadows

Not sure if speechless from shock, or words just did not come to him at the moment. Jevi would give the man a pat on the shoulders, before turning to Aquan, who had thanked him and introduced himself. "I don't know what a Firm Anima is, but I'll go anywhere to get out of this shit hole." Nearly forgetting the slowly crawling muck, Jevi picked up her feet to free herself. The sludge made a sucking sound as she pulled herself from its grasp, falling and splashing into the slowly building pool below her. She took a quick gander at her surroundings, the black water quickly rose, flooding the entirety of Nimbus. Maybe being inside the city's walls was a bad idea after all. 

Crash!

Another building crumpled under the weight of the black ooze, the debris slowly becoming encased in the liquid. "I'm not sure if a tavern is such a good idea. At this rate, all the buildings will end up like this one, and that'll be before Nimbus will turn into a black, sludge swimming pool. I think we need to find higher group outside of the city's walls. Find as many players as we can within the city, and get the hell out." 

@Aquan @Valentine @Grimm Reaper

ID# 178689

Initial Roll Value: 10

Giving/Receiving: N/A

Final Roll Value: 10

Edited by Jevi
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I heard it," he confirmed as he saw Lessa reach out a hand to help one of the straggling Players. There were some he recognized and others he had never seen before. Many of them had been involved in the Tanabata festival, and he had fought to protect them from the seemingly unkillable vanguard. Just like back then, the game had suddenly and emphatically began trying to kill them. Unlike before however, this attack was a force of nature. There was no fighting back, at least from what he could see. There was only flight.

"I don't know what's going on, but it seems like we aren't gonna be able to get back to the Teleport Gate," Alkor assessed as he glanced back down toward the settlement below. He could see NPCs struggling, flailing, and being sucked down into the bog. If he strained, he could see the streams of data from where they were being recycled by Cardinal. 

With a grim expression, he spoke again. "Safe bet, we can't use crystals to get out either. If that's the case, it's a survival game. We either win, or we're dead."

How fitting for Aincrad, already set up in such a manner, to create a twisted event that had almost identical parameters to its own. While it was nothing they weren't conditioned to by now, it was absolutely disheartening. Until now, the game had been fair. Fight monsters, do quests, level up, clear floors.

The rules were changing. They either had to change with them, or die.

"Does anyone need a hand?" he called out as they began to group together with the rest of the survivors. This way, it would be easier to manage saving someone if they lagged behind.

ID# 178696 results:

Initial Roll Value: 16

Giving/Receiving: -

Final Roll Value: 

Edited by Alkor

Yeah...that sounded like about right for someone Shion would be worried about. Koga just gave the woman a short nod. At least now he knew what he was looking for. Although, Tier 3, that guy was probably faring better than they were in all this. So remind Koga again why they were the ones looking for him?

It wasn't long after that Shion pointed up at the roof tops, and Koga caught the briefest glimpse of purple dashing behind a rooftop. Smart. Koga looked stopped a second and looked around a moment before spotting a balcony low enough from them to use. Koga ran over to it and gestured for Shion to follow. "C'mon, I'll boost you up," the man said, linking his fingers together to form a kind of platform. "You should be able to reach the edge of the roof if you stand on the railing. I'll be right behind you." Famous last words anyone?

@Azhoda

Spoiler

ID#: 178891
Initial Roll Value: 17
Giving or Receiving: N/A
Final Roll Value: N/A

Edited by Koga

"You're welcome," Lessa answered, releasing the other player's hand once her safety was assured. At least, for the time being. Attempting to shove that thought from her mind, the Guardian flashed Mishiro the best smile she could muster. "I honestly don't know what else needs doing. I have no idea what's happening. I have to think it's some random event, but I've never seen anything so wide-spread." The half-smile slid away like the mud beneath her boots as she scanned their surroundings. "Obviously, I can't know for sure, but I think this might actually be floor-wide." 

Though she looked as if she might say more, another player's voice came to her on the cold breeze. She and Alkor turned in unison, and as her friend called out, Lessa waved back toward the four hunched figures. "Is anyone injured?" she called out to them, taking a few steps forward. The rain batted her down, thousands of tiny fists attempting to halt her forward progress. She wouldn't let them, and she grit her teeth as she continued to fight back against the weather.

@Alkor @Mishiro @Grimm Reaper @Aquan @Valentine @Jevi

Spoiler

ID#: 179109
Initial Roll Value: 12

Yuuya Kizami, Corpse Party | Corpse party, Yandere, Yandere boy

The "rain" continued to pour down in sheets. The flood would only rise and while the temperature drop had significantly slowed it still fell at a steady pace. It was surely close to freezing temperatures. There was certainly much for the players to struggle through. At this point, Nimbus was hardly able to be resided in. The players that still may find themselves within it would be forced out or succumb to the storm shortly. Each of the buildings themselves had collapsed and fallen over. The rubble slowly being consumed by the storm; however, the rubble also would make a temporary bridge for an escape from the city. 

Within the city, Hugo found himself "entertaining" a few players. He awaited for the masked player to give chase, but the player hadn't seemed to follow. 'Perhaps he had been trapped in the flood?' Wiping the dripping black liquid from his face, he turned to make his escape from the city. It was clear to even him how treacherous the situation was within. The ground was entirely covered up to a few feet. Anyone caught that deep in had no chance of escape. "Now just to-" 

Pain flared from his back as he was assaulted from behind. Thrown atop of the rubble he stood on, his eyes met his assailant. While it was almost hard to make out through the pouring rain, he captured the figure of a blond woman wielding a scythe. 'Another damn player?' By now, the pain had subsided by the damage taken had been effective in the least. 

"Setsuna over here." the figure called. Was that the name of the masked player? It didn't matter. It was his duty to the Sundered Spire and every resident of Aincrad to take down the plague. The disease. The parasites that found themselves eating away at the very world they lived in. Summoning every ounce of his own strength, he would fling himself at the blond player. His first attack wasn't aimed at her body, but instead her hand. His a wave of his left arm and a slice of his weapon his opponent would find herself disarmed. Literally. With his freehand, he clutched the woman's neck. "That really hurt. I'm not sure if I'll have the strength to stop your friend. But Masahiro would've been proud to know I did some good in a time like this. Maybe when I return I'll have a promotion in store. I'm not strong like some of the others, but I'm loyal. If I keep trying, even someone as small as me can be useful." 

Tossing the girl's body over into the black waters, she would find herself unable to escape from its cold depths. His hand reached back to touch the gash in his back. Red pixels flowed freely from it and there was an obvious rip in his once white shirt. Grimacing, he would face the direction the player came from. There was a chance this 'Setsuna' was still back there. They had been foolish to attack separately from eachother. He sighed, pushing back the fear of death. No matter how many times it happened, it was hard to face the reality of it. Apparently the fear faded after enough times of going through it, but it still scared him a bit. 'I suppose even if I stall Setsuna for a bit, they would get stuck inside of Nimbus.' he thought. Self-sacrifice was necessary. That would be another player down and a step forward for their cause. Hugo put one foot in front of the other and called out:

"Come on Setsuna! I'm right here and waiting!"

† Blueberry and Freya have been consumed by the Storm of Shadows.

Round Seven will end in 72 hours [Dec 3rd at 12:30 A.M EST]

The LD Threshold is 6.

Ripping the katana up in a flare that causes it to hum and stir like a beating heart. "That's not very fun." she spoke as some of the overcast took a large shadow over the top section of her face. "I'd much rather you beg or run." she continued as the katana whisked through the air, causing some of the falling black rain to thicken and freeze. "Unfortunate, she will be missed." Setsuna offered coldly as Freya vanished into the darkness. She was given her warning, she chose to stay. This was nothing more than an actuality here. At least the girl was allowed the ability to be useful if only once before she expired.

If this beast wanted to strike fear or remorse, turmoil or discomfort. He had chosen the wrong target. A shell alone, she had but one emotion to give. Seething hatred for beasts who wear human skin. A brutal darted cyan line rips across the center stage, and with a flicker, she vanishes. If this wolf found safety in the darkness, she would take that away. On the prowl through the very moonlight cast, a blonde with a choke and a cough. To her throat a slithered two-dimensional grip, painted upon her neck from the water below. A single slice of her weapon causes the pool she was ambient in to solidify turning to slush. A recoil and a hiss in a high pitched harrowing, it releases and the woman's vision begins to return. "I suggest you keep moving, there is no god here to save you. Only your own resistance."

ID# 179198 results: Battle: 9
Initial Roll Value: 10
Giving or Receiving: 4 @Lessa
Final Roll Value: 6

Edited by Setsuna

blue poison (arknights) drawn by caisena | Danbooru

"Wait up!" She called to the ground she had followed behind. After saving the one boy by severing his bounds she found herself caught in her own. Fighting against them made no difference. Her feet were stuck and the inky waters climbed up her legs. "Help me!" she cried out, but her voice was unheard over the sounds of the storm. After a life of having her hand held throughout everything she did.... It was difficult to be alone. 

The shadows climbed up to her waist, the cold creeping up with it. Her body shook from fear and her body temperature took a drop just as the floor had. For the first time in what seemed like forever, tears found themselves shed onto her face. She struggled more but to no avail. The shadow only continued to cover her body. 

Taking a final breath, her head would plunge into the shadows. Within, she struggled but it meant nothing anymore. The cold surrounded the girl, her body shaking uncontrollably as it tried to warm itself up. It wasn't long before her gasp of air had run out. Several seconds passed and her body demanded air. It was almost as if her real body had decided to stop breathing as well. Giving up, she would try to take another breath. It only made matters worse.

Her body became colder as it breathed in the cold heavy liquid. While she didn't pass out she was trapped in a state where she felt as if she was struggling for air. Suffocating in the cold loneliness of the shadows. The shadows seemed almost endless as she sank deeper and deeper. Asphyxiated, she would curl herself into a ball and cease her own struggling. 

'I'm alone in this world. It doesn't matter how many friends I've made. In the end we all die alone with not a single word from a loved one for us to hear.' Within the storm, she could see nothing. Hear nothing. Smell nothing. 

Her eyes closed as she fully accepted her fate. Was this where people went after they died? Into the dark alone? She didn't feel as if she was in the game anymore. Even her health bar had vanished from view. Her mouthed formed two words, but they were heard by none. Not even herself. 

"I'm alone..."

The waters continued to rise higher and higher. It was physically impossible to not stand knee deep in the muck without finding higher ground first. Even while standing on pieces of a collapsed in roof of a poor citizen's home, Jevi found herself wading in water up to her calves. It seemed the decision had been made to keep moving and not hunker down inside of Nimbus' tavern. Hell, if the sludge made its way into that place while they were in there, there was most likely no escape. 

Off to the side, Jevi heard another two players asking if they needed assistance, two that she had never met before. "We're alright, thankfully. We need to get out of Nimbus and climb the mountains." Of course, back where she had come from,  climbing the mountain should have been her first instinct. "We should use the roofs to travel, probably get swept away in the water if we-" Using some of the fallen debris as stairs, Jevi began making her way towards a more intact roof higher out of the water before she felt the ground underneath her foot give out. 

Jevi stumbled, her armored body cracking into the scattered pieces of stone. Reaching out her hands, she attempted to grab anything she could to prevent her from falling into the liquid below. "A-Ahh!" she screamed out as she began to plummet. 

@Aquan @Valentine @Grimm Reaper @Lessa @Alkor

ID# 179204
Initial Roll Value: 3
Giving or Receiving: 3 from @Mishiro
Final Roll Value:

Edited by Jevi

Aquan waved to Lessa again. "N-No. No injuries. How many people do you all have? There's four of us-" He stopped and looked over to see Grimm's Silhouette lift up someone else. "Okay make that 5." He looked over at Jevi, seeing the woman getting helped up, "Okay make that 6 of us." He placed a hand on Valentine's shoulder and smiled as best as he could. "We're getting to higher ground, We will be okay. We have to be." He was not letting himself think of the other options. With others falling around him, he didn't want to see anyone else go down. He wrapped an arm around the man's waist and hoisted him up, slowly pulling him the man upward as he started to climb upwards. "High ground means longer for the rain to catch us. More players means an easier way for us to survive. We will survive, we have this long in the game, it is a statistical probability that we will live. Besides, the game getting rid of us means there is no game to play."

Spoiler

ID# 179233
Initial Roll Value: 13
Giving or Receiving: 5 to @Valentine
Final Roll Value: 8

Edited by Aquan

She hadn’t been paying attention.

So consumed by the world around her - the endless sheets of rain, the newly arrived players, the shouts of NPCs - Lessa had not noticed her close proximity to the rapidly rising water. How could she have missed it? But before the woman could comprehend, the blackness splashed across her boots, crawled up her pant legs. 

The sensation tore a scream from her, but Lessa only distantly heard it. As soon as the shadow began to corrupt her, her mind was filled with nothing but bone-chilling cold and staggering, suffocating silence. Lessa gasped for breath, struggling to suck in the air necessary to fill her lungs. Cold. Darkness. Nothingness. She was alone. She was so alone, and -

Her body went limp as she was dragged from the dark’s hold. Sputtering, Lessa collapsed to her knees, her hands slapping the damp earth as she fell. Her entire body trembled. “Oh my god,” was all the Guardian could manage. 

Spoiler

Roll ID: 179234

Initial Roll: 5

Receiving: 4 from Setsuna 

Final: 9

"I think I can hold myself plenty fine," the youth argued back. Under his cowl and the harsh receding light, the last bit of visibility could only make so much grace to a smirk and the glint of the sigil upon his eyepatch. "Thank you very much for your input."

The stranger's form was just as indifferent as ever. He'd never expected it to change.

Their trek would take them up a linear path. All other routes considered, it was their best bet had they wanted to remain as stable as possible, despite the rough inclination of the terrain, and the harsh flooding of the waters down around their feet. From their vantage point, he could take in the darkness from the surrounding plains and what little growing patches of woodland the second floor vaguely had to offer. Black spreads clawed its way around the plains and vegetation, seemingly swallowing what was left of the landscape whole.

ID: 179242 | LD: 1 | :catCry:
Receiving LD from MISERY | LD 1 + 5 = 6

Their circle expanded as Lessa found another cluster of players in the murk.

She followed the woman and her companion, her breath coming out in visible white puffs. She'd zipped up her coat, but she was still drenched and rubbing her hands against her arms could only do so much against the chill settling deep into her bones. In her periphery, another building fell to the storm. The howling wind had blown out its windows, battered its stone walls with stray debris and corrosive rain until all that was left standing was its foundation. Mishiro shivered, the sense of cold foreboding she'd thought she'd extinguished flickered back to life like the second strike of a match. Nimbus was a fortified settlement -- and a safezone. Events never once affected safezones to this degree before. If here wasn't safe, then where would it ever be?

Cardinal had betrayed the old precedent and set in place a new one.

They scattered to climb the fallen debris. Through sheer coincidence, Mishiro chose a path that set her only a small distance from the player who had made the suggestion. She offered her a terse, thankful nod and focused on her climb. At some point, the wreckage leveled out in a way that allowed her to outpace the other, and once she had climbed the next few steps, she cast a glance over her shoulder.

Except the woman hadn't been as lucky. Beneath her feet, the rock crumbled and she fell back with a shout.

Mishiro moved before her thoughts could catch up to her. She grabbed her wrist -- and for one heart-stopping moment, she nearly tumbled down with her. She dug her foot into a recess in the rubble, placed all her faith in the possibility that the action wouldn't dislodge the already-unstable ground beneath her, and tightened her grip. Behind the player, the way back down had been consumed by the flood. "Come on," she urged through gritted teeth. "Up."

She redistributed her balance, and she pulled.

179263: LD 9 -- Giving [3] to Jevi.

With Koga's notion to the balcony Shion placed her spear back on her person as she went down touching the water. The black dark water or more so of a sort slime was coming up to her hips about now and was still rising. The black liquid was hard to move in and rubble from buildings submerged under it. Numbis looked like a complete waste and soon nothing was left. 

Getting to the balcony Koga pointed out and with his makeshift hand platform. Getting on the balcony Shion was holding her balance for a second before a wind hit her in the back only taking a second to get back to the perfect spot. Then she turned to Koga and sighed "Take my hand Koga, I'll help you up,"  she said reaching out her hand to grab his. As soon as Shion tried to pull him up the Balcony gave away and fall into the black liquid right on top of Koga dragging him with her down under.

A hand reached down to grab her and for a moment it was black only for her to see nothing and feel nothing. Was this the end here and now, Shion didn't feel fear but a small relief. Until a strong pull grabbed her up and she could see everything again, she grabbed for air as the inky water stayed close on her armor and body. "Ugh... t-thanks," she said in a rather calm voice trying to grasp what the hell just happened.

Spoiler

ID# 179287
Initial Roll Value: 5
Giving or Receiving: -- 5 from Grimm
Final Roll Value:

@Koga

Edited by Azhoda

The cold was beginning to set in. Katoka was beginning to shiver as her, Elora, and the others with them continued up the mountain pass. This time she had stayed back with her friend and helped those she could cross the narrowing path that Elora had previously fell from. She made sure once everyone had crossed that her green haired companion was ahead of her so she could keep a watchful eye. By the glow of the crystals it seemed they were coming up to a cave that seemed promising.

"Let's a make our way inside and see if we can take shelter from this storm!" she called ahead to the group. After her voice finished it's echoing there seemed to be a rushing sound that followed. "What in the--" she started but saw a wave of rock and mud come crashing overhead. Kat grabbed onto Elora's wrist again and pulled her out from the mudslide as it washed a few of the straggler NPC's. Even if she had called out it wouldn't have made difference, by the time the mud was in view it was too late.

Now the two women stood alone, separated from the group. Katoka was holding Elora in her arms in a protective manor, she blushed a bit realizing how long she had been holding onto her and released her. "We have to stop meeting like this." she joked hopping to calm her friend's nerves.

Spoiler

ID# 179288
Initial Roll Value: 12
Giving or Receiving: Giving 5 to Elora
Final Roll Value: 7

The black water continued to rise, quickly reaching up to the player's waists, bogging them down as Shion made her way over to Koga. With a grunt of effort, Koga hoisted the armored woman up onto the balcony. The water was almost at chest level as he took a step back and peered up at the woman. She reached down and offered Koga a hand. Koga jumped, and reached out to grab the hand. As soon as the two clasped hands, the balcony collapsed.

Koga had plenty of time to ponder what had just happened as he was pinned beneath the murky waves. Most likely the added weight of the unnaturally thick water, was just two much for the already weakened stone. That seemed reasonable. Not that it really mattered. 'Huh...never thought I'd die by drowning...' Koga thought as his body instinctively struggled against his impending doom. 'I wonder what Noct is gonna think when I tell her how I died...'

Spoiler

ID# 179293
Initial Roll Value: 5

Edited by Koga

Before Elora could pinpoint the source of the thunderous rumbling sound, she felt a hand firmly wrapping around her wrist. Katoka yanked her backwards just as she began to feel the seismic vibrations of a landslide nearing their group. The absence of light made the scene that unfolded infinitely more terrifying. Screams and short-lived cries for help pierced through the pelting rain as she stumbled to safety.

Then, there was silence.

Elora clutched her chest in a futile attempt to steady her nerves as Kat held her protectively. 

"We have to stop meeting like this", she had started with a forced laugh.

"We're not going to survive this, are we --?", asserted Elora as her stare remained fixed on the calamity before them. She wasn't prepared for this. But really, was anyone? There had always been the option of running away from death, or at the very least, pretending like you were capable of escaping it. As much as she wished to do that -- just one more time -- it was becoming increasingly clear that their fates were finally catching up to them. 

"We're going to die today, Kat"

Spoiler

ID# 179355

Initial Roll Value: 1

Giving or Receiving: Receiving 5 from @Katoka

Final Roll Value: 6

Edited by Elora

"Get up," MISERY commanded. He stood tall among the swirling blackness, the oscillating "fabric" of his cloak indistinguishable from the Shadow's influence altogether. Had one no prior knowledge of MISERY and the way in which he carried himself, they would likely think him a consequence of whatever hell had befallen the castle. Surely, he must have looked like one of them. A creature of the shade, born into this world as the progeny of Aincrad's most vile floor boss yet. Or, at least, that's what MISERY assumed this was all about. He couldn't fathom any other reason for such a crude and sudden onslaught.

"I said get up." An appendage of pure, stained bone ejected from within the confines of the cloak and seized the young boy by his neck, hoisting him from the shadows' ensnarement. The youth's body forcibly ripped from the infectious ooze, MISERY discarded him to the side, allowing his form to fall like a sack of body parts rather than a human being. 

Indeed, it was a strange feeling to help the very beings MISERY held the most disdain for. But it seemed prudent to keep them around in an instance like this. Were they all to die, it would only leave MISERY as the object of the shadows' and NPC's ire alike. If nothing else, they made for good distractions and good bait. He'd need them if he were to survive long enough to see what was at the other side of all of this.

Spoiler

ID#: 179357
Initial Roll Value: 13
Giving or Receiving: 5 to @Daemien
Final Roll Value: 8

Ozwald watched as the inky black rain turned flood washed over the town of Nimbus bringing buildings and players down into its depths without any rhyme or reason, anything that would come into contact with the rain would be crushed and buried. "Why is this happening?" Ozwald asked mostly to the sky rather than anyone else around him. Ozwald made his way, along with Aquan and Valentine, through the near waist height water that was keeping them from moving towards the gates. Despite how much they had to struggle to move through the restrictive substance Ozwald fought his way through until the gates were within sites. Maybe if they made it outside of the city, and tried to climb the nearby mountain they would be able to find somewhere where the rain was less of a problem. Ozwald held this hope in his heart as he struggled through the black substance watching the exit to the town grow closer and closer.

Looking beside himself Ozwald saw and heard a balcony crumble off of a building watching to players fall and sink into the water without a splash. Letting go off his beloved Ozwald ran to those players, not even thinking about whether or not it was smart, what was important was that he saved those players. Ozwald struggled his way over to where they had fallen reaching beneath the water and grabbing onto the first person he could feel, pulling them out of the substance, it was almost as if despite the ground beneath them the water had no bottom. "Are you okay." Ozwald asked as he felt around for the other player, not being able to find them.

Spoiler

ID# 179442

Initial Roll Value: 16

Giving or Receiving: 5 to @Azhoda

Final Roll Value: 11

Edited by Grimm Reaper