[SP|F9] <<The Iron Guardian>> Standing Tall and Proud

<<The Iron Guardian>>

With the evershrinking list of quests for Chase to take on and fully wrap up, this one had been on his eye for quite a while. Plenty of those he knew just felt like they would turn him down on his offer to run it with them, so he hadn't bothered asking; he could go alone after all. It was admittedly the fastest and most clean way to go about a quest like this.

1196978958_ChaseDBPDefault.png.8326e38eb24cf6af82eb37dadee375c9.pngNow arriving into the floor of heat and little else, he quietly let Survival adjust his body to the temperature and felt little difference from what he would have under the sun back in the real world. Nothing more but an annoyance; a big upgrade from standing next to a river of lava and almost dying of heatstroke. He wouldn't even want to imagine such a scenario outside of Aincrad where temperature really mattered beyond exhaustion. Regardless, the quest's details were what bothered him the most. He knew he had to be here, but little else apart from that. There were no pointers were to go or what to do.

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 81
HP: 1650/1650
EN: 162/162

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 43
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 3
BH:82
VAMP DEF:82
PARA:1
HLY:12
HLY BLS:16
LD:5

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Fragmented Blade>> (T3/Perfect/2HSS): PARA I, HOLY II
Armor: <<Azure Overcoat>> (T2/Perfect/Light Armor): V.DEF I, HBS I, MIT I
Misc: <<Chained Bracelet>> (T2/Demonic/Trinket): EVA II, ACC II

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Charge [Rank 5]
Hiding [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Extended Mod Limit [Obtained]
Fighting Spirit [Obtained]
Howl [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter
Survival
Disguise
Meditation

Mods:
2HSS Finesse [R3]
Precision
Athletics
Sprint & Acrobatics
Ferocity
Focused Howl
Surprise Attack (Assassin)
Vanish

Battle Ready Inventory:
Imugi's Inspiration (Mass HP Recovery)*1
Insta-Life ++ (T2/Perfect/HP REC III)*1
Woodland Armor (T3/Perfect) MIT III (1/3)*1
Teleport Crystal [F21]*1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring:

It didn't seem as though Chase had to go looking for anybody though; instead, the broker that was to assign him this quest approached him out of the shadows of some building around the settlement. Looking rather shady, he opened his mouth and began to lay out the details without cutting Chase some slack; not even questioning if he was the right person to talk to about this...

1250277752_ChaseDBPDefaultUncertain.png.be9c93ee8457fc51bb4815a805649923.pngSuch is the way of being a quest giver NPC, apparently. "Swordsman, there is... something, that might interest you. There's a strong field boss I would like you to take on and return the item to me; there's to be a Col reward, too. I believe you would be interested in being rewarded for your efforts, no?", they mischeviously spoke, only to get a slightly discouraged nod from Chase. "... You believe right. Not that the Col will make a big enough difference to me, but... Where is it at?", Chase asked as the NPC opened their map and pointed west of the settlement. "Around here, kind soul. You see, it's two days from here, from what I've heard. There's few shortcuts and the terrain is rather rough, too."

The questionable vocabulary just kept discouraging Chase who gave another nod and a thumbs up to the broker, asking for them to wait over there and in two days at most, he would have returned. He was confident in his strength as a high level and even more so a good runner that he'd be able to trudge through the landscape much faster than normal.

1961213038_ChaseDBPSilent.png.3ed92f565e2f098f2804bdef09b06e63.png"Alright. I won't take long; two days and I'll be back. Wait for me around here, this time the day after.", he finished off only to get more enticed by the broker, who revealed their face under the hood just slightly; the grin Chase suspected they were wearing. "The item the boss drops is said to heal up to four people at once... Be careful, young one.". If the face wasn't anything to go by, the warning and choice of words didn't do the apparent man any favors. Regardless, the bluehead set off to get right towards where the Iron Guardian was said to be, doing some stretches on his first few minutes out of the settlement and towards its general direction.

281230294_ChaseDBPHappy.png.522fd2f466242dbfa977f83a1fe7a674.pngAnd with a 'woosh', almost too quickly, he kicked the ground and took off as fast as he could towards the west. He asked for two days because it'd take one at most for him to get there. His energy was high enough to sustain combat even after all this travelling, and the prolonged running time he had because of all the excess levels compared to the quest's target audience would help make up for it too. "Two days my ass, look at this, heh.", he snarkily commented in the back of his mind and continued his way, moving much faster than he was used to when partied up with others; the landscape, as rough as it was, wasn't all that hard to run through and the heat barely even mattered because of his extra skill. Like so, he kept moving on and on, entering a canyon with small geysers of steam after not too long; a place he was particularly familiar with, considering this had been where he slayed his first and only phoenix for the name tag's materials he had to provide the crafters with, in order to rename his icicle into the much more familiar name he was used to now.

It didn't take too long until despite even his momentum, he was forced to come to a stop. That's because just around the middle of the canyon, boulders had fallen large enough to stop anybody dead in their tracks. Climbing over them was possible but too much of a pain in the ass, and they seemed nigh immovable.

951474465_ChaseDBPEyebrow.png.5e8072df2c133c3851d5c44068418147.pngChase saw no monsters and he didn't know of any naturally occurring avalanches either, so this was already suspicious enough. But he hadn't felt like he was being watched or seen anybody around either, so it must have just happened during some other poor sap's trip. Taking his sword out of its scabbard he quietly walked towards the boulders and waited; it took a good five minutes or so before it suddenly lit up, its form appearing in full. With a loud wack, all of the boulders were sent almost flying out of the way, clearing the path for the bluehead to take who quietly put his sword back in its respectful sheathe. "... I wonder if the NPC knew that the road was blocked."

Because he didn't want to waste much time though, the bluenette gave it little thought and picked up his pace once more with the rocks out of the way. "I should check the map.", Chase thought to himself, bringing up his menu and giving it a quick look. He had already covered a considerable distance from his destination. To hell with energy systems in games when high levels overrode the rules in full, right?

823843986_ChaseDBPHappy.png.1108f0723f43eab148a07801603d6e45.png"It shouldn't be more than maybe half an hour and I'll be there by then.", he proceeded to whisper to himself out loud, grinning and continuing his merry path, making sure not to trip on any rock and to keep his breathing steady. He was starting to wonder what the area would look like when he would have to fight the 'strong boss', which he doubted was even that strong. If the broker knew his level, he most definitely would have been a ton more careful on the wording. A 'strong boss' for Chase was a boss that would kill most others by this point, given how many quests he'd dished out since starting his progress.

The path continued and from here on out, the scenery changed very little. It became sort of like a graveyard, with some rusted weapons buried into the grounds or lodged in between rocks and armors ready to crumble scattered all over. It was almost like a war had happened out here, and... there stood a single knight, proud as ever, over the plentiful of armors scattered about.

2137642931_ChaseDBPDefault.png.a5e1898aa9067a1a85558c45003a3091.pngHe said nothing, standing tall in his iron armor and looking at the boy. He was in the way, but most importantly, he didn't seem to be wanting to move any time now. That meant he'd have to be one of the 'minions', as he was accustomed to calling them, that he would have to take care in order to fight the field boss. Like the quest with the bee, he had to take some small fries out first. "... Got nothing to say?", the boy tried but nothing. The silence stood absolute, speaking the loudest of the two as he quietly pulled his blade out once more and pointed it towards the hunk of metal ready to fight him. "Let's."

Spoiler

ChaseR: HP: 1650/1650 | EN: 162/162 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Iron Knight: HP: 72/72 | DMG: 120 | THRNS: 12 | BLD: 12

And with that declaration, the both of them took off. Surprisingly agile given how heavy all of his armor seemed, the knight was just as eager as the bluehead to get into the battle, slashing forwards with all of his might using his claymore to bring the younger one down- it was clear from the knight's size and selection he was much, much more experienced.

1533496366_ChaseDBPDefault.png.ca643ccb62ca73ec1202b5afbc4a98f6.pngMuch faster than Chase expected it, a simple slash from his blade felled the opposing warrior and made him crumble, as he shattered into pieces and the shards left behind flew up into the air. More armor to add to the graveyard that they had been standing on. Honestly, the lore of this place definitely existed if that many armors and weapons had been lost around here. "... Did he have something to do with this part of the map turning out like this?", he began to wonder as he kept his blade in his hand and waited for his energy to gather once more before he got back on track with running from place to place for this wild treasure hunt; only the boss was left now though. Probably?

Spoiler

image.png.8c7f5b1621cf548b9110ab7ff3b684a2.png

ChaseR uses Galaxy Destroyer! (BD: 6+3=9)
20 * 13 = 260

ChaseR: HP: 1638/1650 (-12) | EN: 153/162 (-9) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Iron Knight: HP: 0/72 (-260) | DMG: 120 | THRNS: 12 | BLD: 12

Edited by ChaseR

A minute or so later and he was set to dash off once more. He pulled his leg back and with a strong kick, he began to get to work; chasing own whatever the field boss was and wherever it could have been. He knew little of its form after all. "If a minion was around here, that means there's either a lot of them leading to it or it was somewhere around here."

Chase DBP Silent.pngIt really didn't take all that long to ultimately find what had happened to the boss though. Right ahead of him was a knight just like the previous one, except standing much taller and with a more menacing physique. At least, in terms of size. And Chase had long learned his lesson about how loud size spoke in a world all about numbers- like the one he was trapped in. And the truth was, his numbers were all around bigger. Scarier. Even behind his fragile and slim form. That made him an enemy worth thinking twice about engaging. But monsters, like the field boss, only knew how to fight. Little else aside from that. It whipped its long sword to the side, as if challenging Chase to a fight.

Spoiler

ChaseR: HP: 1650/1650 | EN: 154/162 (+1) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Iron Guardian: HP: 225/225 | DMG: 200 | THRNS: 12 | BLD: 12

Edited by ChaseR

Even so though, Chase was curious to see all that he could gather from the boss. Obviously there wasn't that much mechanical depth, hell, the previous one was shredded like paper so it probably had no mitigation worthy of note, if any at all. He wanted to see if he could find out more about the monster's purpose here. Why the graveyard was here and if it were responsible.

1977417737_ChaseDBPEyebrow.png.d53bc14a73fbd18171fe894dd2776bc3.pngNo matter how many times the two circled one another in the same motions, nothing changed. They kept staring blankly towards one another, the guardian through its helmet and Chase with his own two eyes. Silence. Nothing else could be heard anywhere but the clacking of the guardian's metal boots and Chase's shoes as they prepared to engage. They were both patient, almost like the boss was mimicking his movements. Just being mimes wouldn't cut it though. He realised the boss wouldn't speak, and its actions weren't loud enough either. It was time to cut to the chase and just write this off as another chapter, then.

Spoiler

ChaseR: HP: 1650/1650 | EN: 162/162 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Iron Guardian: HP: 225/225 | DMG: 200 | THRNS: 12 | BLD: 12

Edited by ChaseR

With a quick dash, Chase ran right towards the boss. This time, it didn't try to dash at him as well. It instead firmly held its ground and raised its sword in the air, attempting to cleave the man as soon as it got its chance. Sadly though, he wasn't planning on letting that happen; now or ever, from anyone and for anyone.

226333928_ChaseDBPGlare(Old).png.a1e3e865993c8c48fb6329494139bbbc.pngWithin no more than a moment, his sword cut right through the boss' thick, steel and tough armor, stopping at the very end as the boy composed himself and quietly rested his blade by his hip once more. And as soon as the boss shattered, a loot window appeared for the item he was looking for. Now he had the Crystal of Support he wanted to give to the broker, holding it firmly in his hands and getting ready to head right on back. For this though, he'd cheat; he'd use a teleport crystal to save himself the effort and time.

Spoiler

image.png.f43515bf84a0bb72e5b7e329867d0294.png

ChaseR uses Galaxy Destroyer! (BD: 7+3=10)
20 * 13 = 260

ChaseR: HP: 1638/1650 (-12) | EN: 153/162 (-9) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Iron Guardian: HP: 0/225 (-260) | DMG: 200 | THRNS: 12 | BLD: 12

Edited by ChaseR

That was the plan at least, all the way until he realised that someone was around; coming closer and closer with a clacking noise at every step. No, it wasn't clacking- it was clapping. As soon as he turned around, he could see the very broker he'd told to stay at the settlement's safe confines approaching him, having witnessed the fight thus far.

132051996_ChaseDBPDefault.png.71385c7ebbc7527b3523917c011fb337.png"... You didn't wait back at the town like I told you to.", he grumbled only to receive a shake of the man's head, who held his hand out almost hurriedly asking for the crystal. He was way too quick on not beating around the bush, jeez. "To think you even made it here this fast, past the canyon even with the boulders in place to slow you down, and slayed both of the monsters that you had to within a single hit each... I am impressed, I really am.". So it appeared the NPC did know about the avalanche. "Why didn't you warn me about the boulders?", Chase asked and possessively held onto the crystal, knowing fully well that this was his key to getting the answers he wanted right now.

Spoiler

ChaseR: HP: 1650/1650 | EN: 154/162 (+1) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Mysterious Broker: HP: 150/150 | DMG: 200 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 50 [On CD 10+]

His question was met with an almost maniacal cackle. If anything, he was starting to realise he must have felt suspicious of the NPC for a reason- no broker would just freely give away information, after all. Bistro was the exception, not the norm, judging from everybody else he had seen... excluding himself, of course. If he could even be called a broker at that...

1452354634_ChaseDBPEyebrow.png.3371dd147d975c498dcd35e0acac0c22.png"What's so funny?", he asked with an eyebrow raised in suspicion as the broker lowered their hood and revealed their almost slimy black hair, gesturing them to hand over the crystal once more. "Cause I put them there. That's why I didn't tell you a thing. I wanted to see if you were devoted enough to take the long route, but it seems you're way too strong to be stopped by something like that. You proved that with the two monsters, after all.", the broker answered to him although in a suspicious way, starting to make Chase distrust him even more with his insistence with getting the item. "I'm giving this to you when I have all my answers. And right now I don't."

Spoiler

ChaseR: HP: 1650/1650 | EN: 162/162 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

With the same momentum he had been driving the conversation thus far, he quietly looked at the broker before gesturing all around them with his hand. "So, what happened here?", he proceeded to ask with an eyebrow still up, only to get an annoyed hiss from the broker who had no option but to keep spilling the beans.

1452354634_ChaseDBPEyebrow.png.3371dd147d975c498dcd35e0acac0c22.png"Tch! These Iron Guardians and Knights had an army. An army that began to fight against one another. One after the other, they fell in battle until only two were left; why they all got in such a crazed frenzy, I know not. But they were all vile, filled with bloodlust. Trying to kill one another in the name of honor and pride, to see who's the mightiest of them all. The only ones left behind were the commander of the strongest squad, the boss you killed, and one of their subordinates...". That was a fairly interesting story, wasn't it? "You mean they were humans then. How did they become monsters, and why did they say nothing?"

Spoiler

ChaseR: HP: 1650/1650 | EN: 162/162 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

"Exactly; they were humans that lost all of their humanity amidst the fight; look at all the armors, the swords laying about. Doesn't it make sense they acted like monsters after all of the slaughter was finished?", the broker continued, eager on captivating Chase and getting the crystal from his hands. And back to ordering the boy he went. 

1458887082_ChaseDBPSilent.png.14b09d8001dd56c662409711229f92df.png"I see.", the bluenette spoke quietly only to get interrupted by a harsh shout from the cloaked man. "The crystal! Hand it over already!". It was clear how this was going to end if he didn't, so stepping forwards, the tank quietly left the crystal in the broker's hands and bid him farewell. Or so he thought at least. To the NPC, this seemed like an all too sudden mood swing. "Y-You... I know what you were doing. You used these pointless questions to stall time; to bring some friends and ambush me. Is that it?!", the paranoid broker started to look at him nervously, dashing right at him and starting to try attacking him. 

Spoiler

image.png.3b2c78ced63abac43fab08df58d3640c.png

Mysterious Broker attacks ChaseR! (MD: 4-3=1)
ATTACK MISSED

Edited by ChaseR

A failed assault from the broker's dagger that resulted in Chase just giving him an annoyed look. "I'm not going to kill you, the fuck? Leave me be and take the reward.", he defensively told him, just trying to get this over with as soon as possible. Even so though, the broker didn't want to let up. If anything, he shook his head in disbelief and glared at Chase twice as hatefully.

778313358_ChaseDBPEyebrow.png.f60e9c207f987f553b59b075872b1ba7.png"Liar! You just want the reward from the boss; no other way you would rush right to it!". If only there were NPCs this doubtful all over, christ... "I just want the SP, chill out!", he groaned in annoyance as he tried to dodge the next attacks, not having too much trouble with the flurry of strikes sent his way. One attack landed, and it was only then that Chase noticed the broker's blade was coated with poison. That wasn't good; and before he knew it, he felt himself becoming much more sluggish and slowing down by a lot. 

Spoiler

image.png.dea08b01531c08a27af2623731540327.png

ChaseR does nothing. (BD: -)

Mysterious Broker attacks! (MD: 9)
200 + 1 - 43 = 201 - 43 = 158

ChaseR: HP: 1492/1650 (-158) | EN: 162/162 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Edited by ChaseR

1762564320_ChaseDBPGlare(Old).png.38ee84f32dbd8afae5da474b04310090.pngTwo seconds and Chase had stopped completely. He managed to break out of it with ease, but he had effectively been paralyzed; thank god that it was a weak form of paralyze, too, otherwise that would be massive trouble for the boy. "You prick, cut it off!", Chase continued to try and reason with the man, who kept on pushing and slashing and dicing the air between the two, closing the gap bit by bit.Every single swing missed the mark, with Chase just glaring the broker down. He was beyond annoyed and while normally he didn't mind killing a quest NPC much, this one was a special case. He thought he might just unintentionally look shady, but no, he just HAD to be a pain in the ass. What a fucking bother.

Spoiler

image.png.66f83af1ead3f60260e0bf9932889ef2.png

ChaseR is paralyzed. (BD: -)

Mysterious Broker attacks! (MD: 5-3=2)
ATTACK MISSED

ChaseR: HP: 1590/1650 (+82+16) | EN: 162/162 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Edited by ChaseR

And before the broker could open his mouth and start shouting at Chase once more, a single slash of his blade and punch right to the face. More agile than even he knew himself to be, he had already dealt with the NPC whose health trickled all the way down to zero. And as if the slash wasn't enough, his blade began to form halfway through the attack, effectively cleaving him in half.

517751060_ChaseDBPGlare(New).png.6c50a0371674148ae5f329316594bdd1.png"When I give you a chance, take the damn chance!", he shouted at where the broker would normally be, had he still remained alive. He quietly put his sword back in its place looking around the graveyard now that he stood there alone with the crystal in his hand, clutching it tightly and checking its details. "I'm almost through with quests and I definitely am glad I didn't get this joy any earlier... Imagine having to worry about most NPCs being selfish dicks like this one, for crying out loud."

Spoiler

image.png.26f1a8c6274a57011894021375212904.png

ChaseR uses Galaxy Destroyer! (BD: 9)
(20 + 1 + 12) * 13 = 33 * 13 = 429

ChaseR: HP: 1650/1650 (+82) | EN: 153/162 (-9) | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 82 | V.(DEF): 82 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Mysterious Broker: HP: 0/150 (-429) | DMG: 200 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 50 [On CD 10+]

Edited by ChaseR

2099437703_ChaseDBPDefault.png.742d90ed841c7420eed17477a1430260.pngThe story hidden behind this place, the fact that the broker was well aware of where it was and what had been happening all along, and the little traces of said 'army' that existed. Were they NPCs or were they really just part of the terrain all along. That's an interesting question that came along with most events in Aincrad players couldn't attest to. Each player could come to their own conclusion though. "... At least now I know the story, and anybody that does the quest will too... To think the final boss for the quest was the damn broker though, hell if that creates trust issues, right?", he thought to himself with both of his hands quietly resting in his pockets as his eyes continued to take in the environment, or rather lack thereof. The place felt like it should make him sad on one hand, on the other, it was pleasantly serene.

2143734722_ChaseDBPHappy.png.55e905858a20c031dd7bdbeceff4aff1.pngBut it was around time to go again. He had to keep on moving, and now he could finally scrap this one from his quest list, with a stupid grin on his face as he came closer and closer to his goal. He was slowly getting strong enough to chase down Calrex and finally get a hold of him, question him on unique skills and even see it in practice as he could now carry his own weight when it came to duels. It's not like he was rushing to get his ass handed, but he had this goal at the very back of his mind since the start of his levelling adventure. It was time he started to actively make progress on it, wasn't it? He had practically filled in all of his database, after all. "So then... Where was that teleport crystal back to my home?", he began to wonder as he looked through his inventory, below all the heaps of vanity crystals for the other, slightly more useful vanity crystal.

Spoiler

Thread Rewards:

• 4 SP [2 quest, 1 page, 1 event]
  • 400 Col
  • Crystal of Support: Heals 30 * (Target's Tier) HP to all party members, including the user.