Favorite VRMMO Game  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite VRMMO Game

• Sword Art Online
    • Alfheim Online
    • Gun Gale Online
    • UnderWorld

If you've watched the Anime and or read the manga, there were several notable games based on the same engine. Some games had restrictions and played differently, mostly "themed" games where the game focused on that attribute. Taken the from the Wiki here are the games.

Sword Art Online

The first virtual game world, as well as the setting of the first arc of the story. The world takes the form of a giant floating castle called Aincrad, with 100 floors in it. Each floor has a medieval-themed setting and a dungeon with a boss, which has to be defeated before players can advance to the next higher floor. Like most RPGs, it implements a level-based system.

Alfheim Online

The setting for the second arc of the story. All players in the game have wings and are capable of flight. It is a large world, divided into separate 'homelands' for each of its fairy races. In Alfheim's center is a very large tree called Yggdrasil, the World Tree, and the goal of the game is to reach the top. It implements a skill-based system with players increasing their stats by developing both their combat and non-combat skills. Aincrad, the castle of the first game, is later accessible to ALO players as well.

Gun Gale Online

The setting for the third arc of the story. It is a virtual game world with a main focus on guns, although melee weapons like lightsabers and knives also exist.

UnderWorld

The setting for the fourth arc of the story. According to Kirito, it is graphically the most realistic of all VRMMOs to date. The flow of time in UW is much faster than the real world's just like Accel World. Even so, it seems that even Kirito was misled as to the actual rate of UW's time flow, so it is still unknown. However, in the "There is but one ultimate way" side story, the rate is said to be 10,000 times faster than that of the real world.

So which is your favorite?

Alfheim Online was pretty cool, particularly Kirito transforming into a monster which despite being in control seemed out of control, kinda made the useless race seem to be the most powerfulest of them all out of nowhere.

Also, the incomplete world tree event where gamers were just swarmed with monsters not realizing there's no end to the number of sentential. suckers...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not read the Manga, so I have no idea what the last two on that list are like, so my basis is purely on the first two.

However, to me, and how it was portrayed in the Anime, SAO wins in a landslide. Despite the lack of magic, the amount of things to do in that game really made it stand out. I'm not much for swords, but I felt they did a really good job on displaying a game that could overcome that adversity.

• 1 year later...

I guess I'm the only one who voted for GGO. I really liked the public channel system, and the way the game was turned into a professional sport. I mean, Sword Art Online had that immersive world, and intense bosses, but Gun Gale would be the money maker there. Besides, who doesn't want to run around, beat the [censored] out of each other in all out war to let off some steam?

• 3 weeks later...

While only just now starting to get into GGO arc. I was already a fan from what I saw and heard. The whole idea that the game is more "modern" based is very neat. I can't comment much on UnderWorld and don't know much except that it is a little similar to Accel World (atleast with the whole time mechanism). So if I were in the year 2024 and had all four copies in front of me (and SAO was a not a death game) you'd likely see me more active in Gun Gale simply because it seems like a perfect blend of modern and futuristic warfare. I mean the one thing Im jealous about my ROTC buddy is the stories he shares with me about his mock combat scenarios. When I get to play a campus wide game of Humans vs Zombies on my campus, it brings out the strategist in me. I get a chance to run around in small squads and make formations to defend ourselves against other students playing (and I'm pretty good as both a human and zombie).

• 1 month later...
I personally would go with Underworld. I am a bit of a sucker for the time-difference aspect of it. Spending as much time as I desire in that world with virtually no limit sounds pretty nice.

Then I would expect you are a fan of Reki Kawahara's other work, Accel World. Which was written before Sword Art Online was.

Then I would expect you are a fan of Reki Kawahara's other work, Accel World. Which was written before Sword Art Online was.

Oh yes, you assume correct. While the designs took me some time to get used to, originally making me hate the MC with a fiery passion, he came to grow on me as he developed as a character. The robot battles and the time difference being played out in clever ways was always a pro as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

SAO Simply due to the simple yet elaborate idea for setting and plot. I didn't really like ALO much apart from kirito kicking ass at the end. GGO was realllllly good and it was difficult to pick between GGO and SAO, GGO had the better story (i know it seemed impossible right) and on par with the battle system of SAO. However SAO had the added element of love and the risk of life or death, creating stronger bonds between characters and the main reason why GGO was so good was because of the previous history of SAO. I haven't read UWO because i'd rather watch the anime in all its animated glory and i don't want to spoil the plot for myself. So all in all I'm going to have to say SAO is the best out of the three.

Even when speaking strictly about the game itself, engines are the same for all three. SAO beats both simply due to the honest and skill full fighting style that is the art of sword fighting. I'd give the setting to GGO because i love steam-punkish art and ambience/vibe of the environment but guns don't cut it for me. Im not saying i don't find them interesting, i just feel guns take away from the virtues of what SAO was trying to achieve (which i personally enjoy more than cowering behind a barrel shooting from long range). Going back to the anime GGO would get a point for allowing kirito to stick with blades (although he is probably the only one who can effectively use them due to his high reflexes but not for the game itself.) Alfhiem doesn't come close to these two, im sorry but flying and using magic is worse than cowering behind cover shooting aimlessly hoping to hit someone, healing systems are just generically mechanic and the game itself seems like just one big grind fest. (like seriously, put a healer in a group and all of a sudden the game becomes redundant and boring) 

• 1 month later...