Poetry The Dying Art  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think poetry should be implemented?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Could be better
    • Other (state your opinion)

I don't think im the only one who loves poetry and i think that being an in game poet would be an amazing profession. The way it could work is every time you write a poem you check for it's success and then you can get exp that way or something. Or maybe it could be implemented with performer? What do you guys think?

My guess is that it would work with Performers, as that is all part of their entertanment approach. It'd be like song writing and you'd probably roll for it, 20 being the new Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven and 1 being a school child's vomit on a page.

The thing is also that Performer still uses the old profession system, so presumably this, if not retroactively fitted into he current one, could be integrated with the renewing of the system to bring it in line with the other professions.

Good god, we're relating good poetry to "The Raven?"

When I read this, my first thought was, "epic poems." The Iliad, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost. To tell the story of players through verse.

My favorite author employs Epic Poetry as an aside to the main story in his books to give it depth.

Uhm, excuse me. What do you have against Poe? He's my absolute favorite.

Kidding, I know what you mean. ;)

And I think that this would work best if tied in with performance. A player might recite a poem for his or her performance, rather than singing, dancing, or playing a song. I think it would be a nice addition, but it does not require its own profession.

I wouldn't necessarily enforce a profession with this one. For example, what if a player just wrote or compiled poems? Maybe left one to be enjoyed by other players, or kept them like archives, like a historian or anthropologist might?

I think I like the Raven so much though not for the thing itself, but the harmoisation Omnia did of it, which really resonated for me when I saw them live at Mittelalterlich Phantasie Spectaculum in Dortmund.

But yeah, I'd go with that its just a different thing a performer can do as a task for rolls to inprove their rank like they can with songs.

Ok... many things to be said on this subject as I view the way it has gone. Poetry would best be tied in with performer. For those who disagree and want it as it's own profession, here is my question, How would it work? Anyone can technically do anything with poetry. I don't see why it needs it's own class. 

Now looking at the way this topic has turned, I think it needs to be moved to the OOC section. 

I think this topic has already reached a final decision. If there are any last thoughts on this as a profession, say them now. This topic will be closed in 24 hours.

How you play out the performer profession isn't really defined. I remember Gestien used to compose actual songs, I personally mostly just danced.  Poetry already would fit in perfectly, but other art forms could be added just as easily. How you role play it is up to you, the mechanics are simply to give it some use for gameplay.

Gestein's singing: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/3829-sp-f1earning-a-living-on-the-streets/#entry330699

Cindel's blade dancing: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/3672-sp-f1-earning-a-living-questcomplete/

Just be creative :)

cind_dance01.jpg