Aspects - A cool way to combine your virtues / flaw in the game

So, there is a really cool virtues and flaw that anyone puts in their characters. But beside that....no one care that I am really skinny or coward when i role the dice. 

This is a known issues in a lot of role play settings  ^_^

But, the FATE roleplaying system come with a great idea!

ASPECTS

What is aspects? aspects its a unique....definition for character (and possibly other things) that can be used to make the game more 

dynamic and interesting. Like our flaw and virtues.

Its working like that, every player got a limit number of aspect points that can be used to make one side of him shine for better result,

or reduce is results to get the points back. Every aspect can be used to get better results or get aspects point back, its just need to

be in role-play and make sense.

I will give an example (my English is not that good, but don't let it bother you):

I got 2 aspect points and 4 aspects (flaw and virtues): i am Nimble, Dumb, Perfectionist and Friendly

lets say I fight with a friend, and we are fighting a mighty NPC.

The NPC attack me in with a strike that can hit any normal person. but I am not normal person, I am Nimble.

So i decide to give myself +1 to role by using 1 aspect point.

now by using my nimble aspect of my character I describes how she avoids in the last moments.

Lets say I am attacking now, and I want to make the perfect strike (Perfectionist)! But by trying to make it perfect i make the strike

even worse.

So now I decide to give myself -2 to roll. now I got 2 aspect point back plus cool describing of me trying the perfect attack and fail.

Lets say now the next turn my friend attack. So before my turn end I use my Friendly aspect to cheer him up,

and pay 1 aspect point to give him +1 to his next attack.

the last example will be using "bad" aspect to get good result. I can say the NPC try to outsmart my moves, but I am to Dumb, so its

kind of didn't work out like he expect and I got to myself +1 to defense (by using anther aspect point).

I hope you got the idea.

Aspect point don't refiled without using them to get negative effect, but they will return to the max points allowed if you pass it in the end of the scene.

Also to prevent ambush we can say that players got aspect points by making the subtraction number meaningful for the result.

The different between hit and miss, between critical and normal hit and etc..

In Fate system peoples use aspects for everything. players have aspects, boss have aspects and even items got aspects.

More than less, the gm can use the player's aspects to make the battle interesting and pay him aspects points.

But I think for us it's better to start with player aspects only.

Boss and items are part of the game, the only dynamic things around here are the players

(and the gm involving doesn't seem to work to much in play by post games).

So....What do you think? :smile:

I find this to be an interesting concept, and I really appreciate you giving your ideas. Currently, we're working on fixing up everything tutorial wise. Once that is done, we'll start implementing new ideas. However, right now we have to focus on other things. While your idea may seem a little OP right now, it actually makes a lot of sense to implement that. I will be looking into that.

I think i read something like this before but i completely forgot about it. It had something to do with acquiring the traits as you roleplay if i can recall correctly instead of just starting out with them. Im pretty sure they were called 'stat titles' or something like that. We'll keep it in mind but like Oske said, it might be awhile before we implement new ideas.