[OP - F1] Tired of Playing 'Nice' COMPLETE

Normally, Mari – the deceptively short, high pitched pink woman would put on a mask, a pleasant façade to lull any and all around her into a false sense of security.  She wasn’t a wrathful person, she didn’t see a need to PK anyone or cause them harm without reason, but she did see the usefulness of others, if she had something to gain; she’d act accordingly. Play the part in a staged theatrical performance.

Today, was not one of those days. The lass was bored, sluggish, and was not in the mood for playing ‘nice’

Mari groaned, chewing on a piece of plain bread; there weren’t many people around so she didn’t need to put on her meek and submissive persona/charade. Her sapphire eyes dull with a sort of tired boredom that tends to set in when one had little to do. She wandered the streets of the beginner town with an aimless disdain – scowling at passing players who were forsaken enough to meet her gaze.

Unfortunately, Mari was still too low leveled to do too much exploring on her own, she was careless, and didn’t give a damn what happened to others – but she’d rather live, at least for now. She wanted to know what the upper floors were like, and to do that she needed to gain levels.

Mari glanced down at the half-eaten roll in her hand. There wasn’t a real need to eat in this game, but she liked the taste of food, it’d be nice to have something other than plain ol’ bread. “Bleh…boring.”

Carelessly tossing it over her shoulder Mari wandered to the outskirts of the starting city less people. Less noise, it’s what she figured she needed right now.

Mari found a spot near a Frenzy plant, she sat on the ground-cross legged just outside of its attack range, picking up nearby rocks and throwing them at the thorned, flailing creature. They bounced harmlessly off the plant.

Kazuya was just outside of town. He had left Alice in Argumail's care, back at the guild building. He had just been out grinding and looking for materials. Since he was rather happy with what he had done, his eyes shown a bright blue, but he still had the ever noticeable red ring on the outside of his irises. He was about to just walk in when he noticed a small player throwing rocks at the plant.

'Wow, how boring can you get? You can't even cause a bit of damage like that. She's jut wasting her time. Maybe if I just keep walking she won't notice me.' He looked away quickly before he could make eye contact, and walked.

Mari continued to throw rocks at the plant, giving a smirk as she watched it flail wildly, as time slowly passed – she noticed that the creature’s attempts to attack her grew more fevered, desperate almost. Perhaps the mobs in this game were more intelligent, more advanced than the women gave them credit for. “Heh, pathetic lil’ thing.”  The Frenzy Plant was clearly distressed, and it was all the more reason to continue with her useless, annoying action toward the beast.

Mari paused, oceanic orbs following a lone, blonde player who was casually strolling back into town. No, it wasn’t casual – he seemed prideful, almost full of himself. He glanced her way before averting his gaze- turning his entire head away from her. Mari could have sworn that he even quickened his pace. Rude.

Not that she cared; she wasn’t in the mood to deal with people today, Mari threw another pebble at the plant,  then another – the third – she on purposefully overshot, aiming for the other player who had passed by. Mari didn’t bother checking to see if it had hit its target, she doubted it. The boy was too far away.

“Shuffle along, little boy.” Mari muttered under her breath.

He felt the rock coming toward him. Of course it wouldn't make it, but it still annoyed him. He's had so many things thrown at his throughout his life, rocks, scissors, staplers, pretty much anything that people could get their hands on. His eyes turned a deep red. He wasn't going to lose his cool, but he wasn't going to let that disrespectful woman think she could just throw objects at him.

He picked up the rock and threw it at her, aiming for it to go right past her head. He smirked as he did, knowing that she would get his message.

“Aww, Diddums~”  Mari hummed, cruel blue eyes watching the younger boys demeanour change, it was almost as though he was throwing some form of tantrum. Mari observed with a bemused grin as he bent down and picked up the very rock that was thrown at him back at her. The pebble bounced past her pastel coloured head, landing a few inches away behind her. The woman gave a malicious cackle, arms wrapping around her tiny waist as she laughed.

Mari turned to the Frenzy Plant; talking to it in a mocking tone. “Ooooohh did you see that? Think I hit a nerve there?” She asked, giddy. Seeing the other player so put out had lightened her spirits.  â€œNaw, think the boy is gonna come over and lecture me? What a riot!” Mari gave another catty laugh. It would have been best if he had kept on walking, and avoided her spiteful actions.

He saw her actions, but he didn't let himself lose his control. He knew what would happen, Hellfyre would take over. That would just cause meaningless bloodshed. He walked over to the idiot who was talking to the plant.

"Idiot, you should know better than to throw a rock at me. I'm the player they call a demon. If I felt like it, I would kill you, and wouldn't even give it a second thought." He smirked as he knew he was telling the truth, partially. He could kill her, but unless Hellfyre took him over, he would give it a second thought. She was starting to amuse him, so he let his eyes show the evil intent of his other half, the one he held in balance inside himself, just to see what witty comment she would come up with next.

From the cover of a nearby gnarled oak tree, Ether had been silently watching the exchange between his guild superior and the pink lady.

He hadn't interfered for the time being as the plant tormentor reminded him of the days long gone when he was the same.

Years ago, he was a very different person. He didn't care of others and even took some joy in the suffering of them. It happened to be nought but a phase but he had to admit he had retained a small portion.

Mari leaned back, till she was laying in the grass, she crossed her arms behind her head as the other, clearly angry person approached. She raised an eyebrow as the agitated youth called her a idiot, then had the gall to call himself a demon. Mari tried to stifle some laughter, really? Demon? How horribly cliché’d could he get? The laughter won as he continued, saying he could kill her if he felt like it.

Mari burst into a fit of laughter – kicking her dainty little legs, holding her sides. It was funny, it was just too funny – “What horrible second rate tv show did those lines come from?” She asked between fits of laughter. “You’re a walking cliché- do you hear yourself?” Her laughter had died down, and Mari stood, lightly dusting herself off.

“Really, threats – over a tiny, little pebble.” Her tone turned poisonous, she tilted her head and spun a cotton coloured tendril of hair around a single finger. “You talk so easily of death, of killing someone, over such a trivial matter- know what that shows?” Mari asked, glancing up at the blonde man, he was so angry he was almost visibly shaking. Mari continued;

“Your poor little ego has been hurt – you think-“

She cleared her throat, imitating his voice, “Oh how dare this foolish child undermine me! ME! Of ALL people!”

She switched back to her cold tone:  “You sound like an entitled little brat. Quit whining over such a tiny matter. If  your so called ‘honour’ is so easily wounded I’d hate to see what kind of company you keep.”

L was watching from a distance as his underling disputed with a newbie. It was pitiful really but he was still his underling none the less. He moved roughly closer, jumping into a tree dynamically and silently to listen in further. L didn't especially like Kazuya but the little imp grew on him and was interested to see how far this would go. When the pink pixy like woman started to insult him he couldn't help but laugh hysterically, luckily he was smarter than that and only laughed internally as to not to blow his cover however he placed a hand over his mouth as an extra precaution because burns like that are especially challenging to contain yourself from. 

He smiled as she did not disappoint. He was glad he walked over. He chuckled a bit as she went on about the whole cliché part. "You know those words about my being a demon or some form of monster came right from my parents, my principal, my doctor who diagnosed my condition, and all those around me. I would not take their judgment so lightly. I have already killed multiple people in this game and have sent many to the hospital IRL because of my condition. That is why I will also confirm their description of me."

He looked over his shoulder, noticing L and Ether. "Well, as for the whole pebble thing, let's just say that I'm tired of having objects of any form or fashion thrown at me. It gets rather tiring having to dodge random items all throughout my life, you know?" He returned his attention to the small player. "Now I want to know. What was your reason for such a rude action?"

Mari had to wonder about the truth behind the ashen mans words. He stated that he was a Player Killer, but those were marked; and not allowed in the starting area. She couldn't confirm if it was a lie or the truth. But she decided to call it a lie, if anything it'd just make him madder. Mari grinned– “Oh my, if you’re going to lie big boy you may want to make it believable. I may not know much about the dynamics of this…” She paused, twirling a finger around in a small circle, the other arm landing on her waist as she shifted her weight to one side. “This world but I do know that Player Killers are marked as such, and aren’t allowed in the starter town-“ She paused, shrugging, “Granted- I don’t know if that extends to the outskirts of the town, but if you really are such a big shot killer then you would have done away with me by now. Not do something as petty as say…” She grinned, “throwing a pebble at someone, eh?”

Mari was the one who cast the first stone, however, she wasn’t the one throwing her weight around- calling herself silly names and boasting about ‘apparent’ killings.

“I don’t blame your parents, although I think the term demon is misused here; I’d use terms like…man child, brat, cretin…urchin…but no, not a demon. I don’t give two flying hoots about whatever condition you have.”

Mari paused, noticing that he had glanced over his shoulder, was he expecting company. Did he call some sort of Calvary to back him up? Friends, comrades in arms to come to the whining kids aid?

“If you’re tired of having objects thrown at you, I’d be more than accommodating, and throw more insults your way.”  Kazuya asked if she had a reason for throwing the inanimate object at him in the first place, she shrugged.

“Nope, no reason, you were there. Wouldn’t matter who it was, I’d have thrown it regardless.”

L felt like he was going to die if he didn't let out a laugh this time, he fell out of the tree grabbing his sides as the mysterious creature once again 'schooled' him. He didn't care if he was seen, he heard enough to satisfy him however he was still sceptical about kazuyas mental state. Hellfyre was merely just a rumour but he doubted he'd become a player killer over something as trivial as this, especially when he was about to get married.

This woman was starting to get annoying, but he had certainly dealt with worse. "Well, I wouldn't exactly say I'm a PKer as I wasn't the one to through the first punch, so the system would never label me as such. I don't have to worry about that. Now what causes you to call me such pitiful name as man child and brat. I've only tried-" He felt a sharp pain in his skull and brought his hand up to hold his head as if it would lessen the pain. 'Not now! She's only throwing petty insults. It should not cause Hellfyre to take over.' He tried to finish. "I've only tried to be a good son. You really should take my condition a bit more seriously though." He gritted his teeth in pain. 'If this keeps up, I might lose control.' He tried exercising his will over the entity inside him. "I don't see to cause such insults from you. I only returned your pebble to you." He attempted to smile through his pain. He knew she wouldn't care what he said. She was just going to throw it back in his face. He hoped that L and Ether weren't watching at the moment. He didn't want them to see their Tactician in this state as well as find out that he had an unstable mind.

Mari crossed her arms, “Oh so you were lying – oh my!” She shook her head with a disapproving sigh. “oh Mr Demon-child-man…” She said mockingly, “can’t you keep your stories straight?” sigh

Mari watched, as the unnamed man before her had opened his mouth to say something, but instead, gripped his head. Seemingly in pain, “thinking too hard?” Mari asked with a grin. She still didn’t know exactly what condition he spoke of, most physical conditions shouldn’t matter at this point – since they were all trapped in virtual reality. Mental issues?

“Diddums…” Mari purred, “You’re the one that sauntered over to me – all aggressive and throwing your weight around. I don’t play nice you caught me on a bad day. The question is why should I pretend to like such a pathetic little creature such as yourself. Hmm?”

Mari paused, noticing another player, dressed in dark colours fall out of a nearby tree, laughing. Mari pointed at him. “Looks like someone either agrees with me, or finds your little charade hilarious.”

'Ah! This must stop! I'm losing control." His eyes widened as red completely took over. "I'm not lying here. I was the man who killed them, but since they threw he first punch or, in this case, stone, the system did not hold me accountable. I would appreciate it also if you stopped acting all high and mighty when all you are is just a simple child who thinks they are an adult. Now if you would kindly sit down and shut up." He was shocked by his last words. They were not his. He felt the shadows slowly being drawn to him. 'Oh no! This can't be happening. After all that training, I still lose to Hellfyre. No!!' He grit his teeth even more trying to at least remain in control of his body. If his tongue became a little sharper than usual, that was okay. Most didn't like him anyway. What would one more do? He still tried to salvage whatever he could though. "I-I'm sorry. That was not like me. I apologize for my previous comment about you shutting up. Please excuse me for a mo-" He fell to the ground on one knee. His teeth became like fangs, but He still had a bit of control over himself though. He knew he had to explain his predicament before it was too late. "My condition does not live in my physical being. It lives inside every part of me. My body, my mind, and my spirit. I share a soul with another, a more murderous being than I. You should probably take a few steps back." He had barely got the words out. He was still struggling against Hellfyre. 'Oh please give up. I don't know how much I can hold out.'

Once the woman continued pointing over to him L stopped laughing, he looked over to Kazuya with a legitimately worried expression. He kicked up quickly and dashed to forward in under a second coming to an immediate halt by his side. "You can give it a rest now miss, no point taking it this far" He looked at her with cold dead eyes. Standing at 6'2 and wearing various trophies of his defeated enemies he was a pillar of power, an aura noticed by the leader of the crimson inquisition who made him second in command almost without hesitation. "Kazuya.. are you ok?" He placed a gentle hand on Kazuyas shoulder and bent over to look into his eyes, they were almost a completely red. His warm amber honey eyes locked with the red rage harbouring irises of his underling, they normally provided comfort to his enemies luring them into a false sense of safety around him but in this situation that sense of safety was not false in the slightest. 

Mari watched, an almost bored look on her face as she watched the other man roll around in pain. “Yanno, the stone didn’t hit you – I didn’t initate any attack on you. If you strike me down now, and succeed; you’ll be labeled a Player Killer. The system will hold you accountable.” Mari grinned, as she placed both hands on her hips now, “I’m 25 – sweetheart; and I’m not acting high and mighty; I’m just a b*tch. If I were to act high and mighty, I’d go around boasting my exploits – just as you have. Learn to differentiate, m’dear.”

He responded by telling her to shut up, before quickly apologizing for his actions, Mari opened her mouth to say something else but the lad who had fallen out the tree earlier approached them, asking her to give it a rest. She shot him a dark look, his imposing height did not phase her. “Says the boy who was laughing moments before, your friend could have walked away at any time.”  The dark haired boy referred to the blonde as Kazuya.

Kazuya.

Great, Mari now had a name to the anguished, big headed face.

“People are far too quick to anger in this place.” She said with a sigh, raising a hand to her temple. “I swear, I’m beginning to get a headache.”

"Get away from me, both of you!" He felt like his control was weakening at a much quicker rate. He heard Hellfyre speaking to him. 'This just won't do. How can I have my king, the Black King, being mocked by such a pitiful being. If you won't make any move to halt her assault on your rightful pride, I will.' He started laughing, not the kind that normally slipped his lips, but a dark one that emitted a kind of evil. It wasn't an evil of this world, but one from hell, a true evil. His eyes dilated as his transformation completed. He stood up still laughing. "You should really learn to shut up. You say you are a b*tch, but you are nothing more than a child, one who needs to learn to keep her mouth shut. Age means nothing. Kazuya held his tongue. I won't. Now shut up and sit down. It is time you learned not to mess with the king of hell. This one is destined to surpass me. If you decide to disrespect him. I will cut you down, and I'll do it without a second thought." An evil smirk appeared on what used to be Kazuya's face. "Man child! Brat! Those are not names fit for my future king. I am tempted to cut that tongue of yours from your mouth for uttering such words, but alas, he is still struggling. For some reason he doesn't want me to harm you, incarcerate you. Oh and believe me, I would do it in a heart beat if it weren't for him. You should be grateful for his restraint." Another cruel laugh escaped his lips. The biological limiter in Kazuya's body was nearing breaking point as the monster kept pushing for complete control.

L looked at Kazuya with a blank expression, he was going to grow tired of this soon. "Hold your tongue kazuya. You're representing the crimson inquisition, such matters are below us. You do remember the strict rules of our guild, right?" He looked back at the woman emotionally indifferent to her presence or remarks "Your quite the sadistic one aren't you. Remember dear, this is a death game and dying is inevitable inside it or out. You're threatening a potential killer assuming you'll be safe because the system will simply mark him? The marking is simply a warning to other players like yourself to watch their mouth. You're sadly mistaken if you think a simple mark would stop anyone from dealing with a nuisance. It's your pride or your life miss, choose wisely next time you talk to a stranger. I'll constrain this boy if he gets out of hand as long as you leave" L stood firmly, he wasn't trying to intimidate, if anything it was probably her last warning. Kazuya was stupid and stupid people had no problem killing pests. 

Mari rolled her eyes as Kazuya screeched, begging both her and the other man to get away from him. His voice cracked before he doubled over in laughter, his persona doing a complete 180 as he chastised her. Again, asking her to shut up, that she was nothing more than a child. Mari shrugged, her quips were somewhat childish – and she wasn’t going to rebuff that.  â€œOh I don’t deny – my words and actions are juvenile, but you’re simply the kettle calling the pot black, honey.”  She raised her eyebrow at the mention of ‘King of hell’ obviously – it wasn’t literal – more so just a self imposed title.  It also seemed like the boy suffered from some sort of split personality disorder, and she was encountering the more volatile side of himself. “That is the most egotistical smug piece of crap I’ve ever heard.” Mari arked up, stepping forward to lightly prod Kazuya in his chest.

“You want to cut my tongue out, pretty boy?” Mari scowled, “I’d like to see. You. Try. You’re a mess right now. You’re the one that needs to come to grips with who or whatever you  are. You call yourself a king of hell?” His threats didn’t phase the woman, and her words, albeit cold and cruel, were the closet Mari would get to ‘helping’ him. Perhaps it was a roundabout way of saying 'sorry' Mari was blunt, with her words, and didn’t sugar coat things. “No so called king would be as reckless and wavering in their resolve. Man the hell up.”

Mari turned to the other player, whom she had yet to learn the name of. “Sadistic, mayhaps. I know very well what this is game is capable of.” She gave him a small smile. “I’m not stupid. I don’t assume that a player having a mark would stop them killing someone. It’s simply an unfortunate repercussion. I don’t see the point in stepping lightly, if some halfwit chooses to strike me down in a heated argument. So be it.”

Mari stepped away from Kazuya shrugging, “I mean – think about it. Our consciousness is trapped here, but our physical body, in the real world. How long do you think that body will last? The way I see it, this whole place is just a ticking death clock.”

Mari scratched her chin, assessing the situation – Kazuya, on her own, she could probably manage. She’d be able to make a break for the town, where she’d sustain some damage but be safe, but the two of them at once? She didn’t stand a chance.

“Why should I leave? Both of you were the ones who approached me, I was minding my own business. I have no real qualm with you both, but as I said. I am not a nice person. You come at me spouting nonsense, and you’ll get it in return.”