PP F4 ' Is This an Alliance?'

F3 was quickly becoming one of  Mari’s favourite places; despite the bite of  the cold she found peace here.  Despite wearing a skirt, her socks and jumper kept in most of the warmth, and she didn’t feel the sting of the weather as harshly as some of the more scantily clad players. It was one of the quieter floors. There were rarely many players up here, and those that were would quickly scamper off to the cave, or to the higher floors.

Mari had performed here once before, that one – was a personal piece that she had wished for no one to see, and yet both Light and Alkor had heard.  Today was different. She wanted to play for the pure sake of playing. Mari adored music, and loved the violin even more so.

She was positioned in the middle of Frigid Lake, a solitary splash of pink amidst the stark white of the field, the moving tunes of her violin reverberating around her, as she played the Song of The Caged Bird;   bouncing off the lake and the trees ; creating a moving echo.

Mari didn’t stand still; she moved in time to the wavering notes, arching her back, twisting her body two and fro.

The girl, dressed all in pink, was lost in the moment.

I was still into my old habit of wearing my white cape. The cape used to symbolize that I was the White Knight, which wasn't necessarily good or bad. I needed to accept the fact that I was now the new guild leader, and find a new cape of course. I had already appointed someone to be the White Knight, and mostly the Knights of Color positions were filled. But at the same time the guild had been having a shortage of members recently. 

With that in mind I stepped onto a boulder to look out onto the lake. What I saw surprised and confused me mostly. There was first just flashes of pink but when I go a better look I saw it was another player with a violin. Probably a performer. I yearned to hear what they were playing so slowly I walked onto the frozen lake and listened. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mari noticed someone approach her; a regal looking lady with chestnut brown hair and a billowing white cape. Mari didn't stop playing, but she stopped dancing around on the ice, and she softened her tune so that the two could talk comfortably over it. It was unusual to see someone on this floor. Mari loved the cold, and the snow, but others - not so much.

Whilst still playing the Violin Mari gave the other girl a nod of acknowledgement. "It's rare to see players here."

I looked behind me and made sure she wasn't speaking to anyone else. Once I concluded that it was I she was talking to I responded with a smile on my face. I don't favor it, I just have fond memories on this floor. The cold doesn't really bother me that much either. I said, staring at the violin in her hand. What about you? Are you here just to play your violin? It's very sweet music, I love the sound of it. I complimented her on here playing and silently hoped she would continue to play, as if I were not there at all.

Mari found herself enjoying talking to girls far more than talking to most males, she found it incredibly easy to talk to Rebekah - and she was finding that it was the same of this girl too. "Fond Memories eh?" Mari asked - as she tried to think of the memories she had on the floor. She couldn't say she had fond memories - but she did have a run in with Life and Alkor here. "I love the cold." Mari said - still playing the violin. She  couldn't help but smile when the other girl complimented her playing.

"I came here just to play. It's quiet, and peaceful." 

Mari finished the song; she gave a satisfied sigh as she pulled the violin away from her shoulder, turning to the other girl. "I'm Mari."

I nodded slowly and recalled event. Yes, I met some very fine people on this floor. This was also where my guild "career" started...just as the White Knight though. But still, I was honored for it. I babbled on again about the same person I always talked about, my previous guild leader. He was one of the first people I met and also the kindest so far. I don't mind it really that much...I admitted to the beautiful young lady with pink hair. Indeed, it always silent over here, no one really likes this floor very much...it's too cold for some I think.

As the last of her song finished I began to clap for her. That was lovely, I'm Primrose of the Knights of Abyss. It's a pleasure to meet you. 

"I think that's why I like this floor- it's so silent, and I'm sick of dealing with arrogance." Mari noted, "It's why I was a little surprised to see you here." 

The other woman introduced herself. Primrose. She was also a guild leader. Mari gave Primrose a small smile. "Another guild leader eh? I just formed a guild myself. It originally started to just sort of....get back at the Crimson Inquisition. I am not fond of them. A few of their members are out for my head. I am leader of the Cerulean Silence."

I can't handle any of that conceited manners either, they are quite unpleasant to me. I said and steadied myself on the ice. I would hate to fall and cause the ice to crack open. A memory of Rolland and I popped into my head at that moment. We were in a small boat, a date to be exact, when suddenly we tipped over and both fell into the water. It was a disastrous moment back then but now when I thought of it, it made me giggle. Like an inside joke. 

I smiled at the mention of her guild. Quite so, I just got the position also so I'm a little new to it. I'm trying to recruit new members but it's hard to get anyone to join unfortunately..I said, smile fading at the mention of the Crimson Inquisition. Don't get me started on Argumail, their leader. He is entirely unfit to serve such a purpose. Not only is he rude but he has a cruel tendency to lick his sword. It sent shivers down my spine last time I saw it! It's okay though, he doesn't like me very much time due to our last meeting..it didn't go so well...I laughed at that, it was funny to picture Argumail at a time like this. It was hard to explain but I felt more comfortable around Mari, she seemed like a lovely young lady to me. 

Mari gave a nod and a smile, glad to see that someone shared the same sentiment as she did when it came to the monsters in Crimson Inquisiton. Mari reached out, placing a hand on the girls shoulder so she could steady herself, Primrose seemed to be lost in her own thoughts for a moment before she giggled. Mari tilted her head giving the chestnut haired girl a curious look. Mari wasn't going to pry, the other woman was more than likely reliving a sort of fond memory. Mari didn't exactly have any fond memories at this moment. She sighed as she let her arm drop back to her side.

"Players flock to the biggest guilds; but I find - that a guilds strength comes from determination and focus. The biggest guild does not make the strongest guild... rather..." Mari trailed off, her gaze drifting toward the sky. "Rather...it makes the weakest guild, too many chinks in the armour."

Mari turned her gaze back down toward Primrose as she shivered at the mention of Argumail. "I don't think his head is attached to his shoulders properly. Let's hope next time he licks his sword he slices his tongue off - perhaps his forced silence would teach him some damn manners."

I nodded in agreement to what she said. Somehow she sounded like my old guild leader, maybe even Rolland. They beleive that the bigger the guild is, the more power they have. But sometimes you aren't that lucky. Sometimes you realize that you are just canon fodder and nothing more. Another memory sprang in my head. One of Shade this time. He wasn't my friend but I wouldn't call him an enemy either. He was on the brink of killing me, he even told me to kill higher level monster for him- to give him the materials. Luckily, I ran away. I was ashamed of running but there was nothing I could do about it. About a minute later he caught up though. That's when he told me to not follow what other people tell you to do. This memory had almost nothing to do with right now so I continued speaking. It's the sad truth but that's just the way the world works right now. I prefer quality rather than quantity any day myself. I said to Mari and hoped she didn't think I was weird for pausing for a long time.

I tried to hold it back, not to be rude, but I couldn't help but laugh at Mari's comment about Argumail's tongue. I cleared my throat and recovered like a lady should and spoke. Well, let us only hope that happens.  Unfortunately, I can't quite imagine that a chopped tongue would keep him quiet though.

Anyways, Mari. I would really like to ask you something though, it's about your guild. I took a deep breath and stared at her eyes. What is your guild like? I mean....what are the people like? 

Mari gave a small nod, "Yeh - I would rather not be cannon fodder..." She sighed, rubbing the back of her head. "I have a meeting with all the heads of the guilds soon; tomorrow. I think we are going to front line the boss. I already have guild members wishing to go - but with their level, they'd die in a single hit." Mari furrowed her brows, she didn't like the idea of death, or her members throwing their lives away.

"One member, Orhalimi doesn't think he'll die; he thinks he will respawn. He's an idiot, I want to smack him upside the head and ban him from attending; but...I can only give my members advice. I can't command them to do anything - that's not the guild I had intended to make."

Mari fiddled with the strings on her violin absently, giving a small smile toward Primrose as she laughed, and made her own snide comment about Argumails tongue. "My guild...hmmm, I don't have many members - and none are above level 10 - we are a small guild but that's ok. I have two sects planned. One for passive, and one for fighting. I want to be able to have each person nurture their own ideals and potential. I feel a guild is only as strong as it's weakest link - so all I wish is for my members to work together to strengthen themselves, and each other."

• 4 weeks later...

My green eyes lit up with excitement, Mari would be coming to the meeting too! I am attending that meeting as well. I have already omitted any of my members to participate in the battle because they too would die in one hit. Though I'm only a few levels ahead of them I plan to come back to them. I said, only a hint of doubt in my voice. This was something that I was constantly worrying about, death. The people I had met in Aincrad so far had really been worried for me too, not trusting me to leave on my own and such. Now though I had to go my own way, be stronger for the guild, and most importantly, survive. 

I swallowed hard and stiffled a slight laugh at Mari's comment about Orhalimi. Yeah, I don't think that should be encouraged....You will not respawn again. 

Upon Mari mentioning her guild having a plan I smiled. She seemed to be moving forward in the right direction. Ah, I see. I have a total of five members including myself. I just recruited a boy named Steel, and he is now in the higher ranks of the guild considering that there really aren't many members. Speaking of which, I haven't even heard from the other three for about two months. They are full members still but I am becoming a little worried about 'em. Your guild sounds like it's going to be one of the best of Aincrad, their leader especially. Your plan is really good compared to mine, I'm just focused on keeping them alive while they level up and become stronger. I said, brushing both hands on my head to smooth back my ponytail. There were a lot of things I had to do before even thinking of signing my entire guild up for a boss battle or even a raid. Material gathering and grinding on floor one might be the best option right now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mari gave Primrose a light smile as Primose seemed excited. "I wish my members would listen, I won't let them continue to make a mockery of my leadership. If they want to do that, they can seek guidance elsewhere. I will show respect, but only if it is given." 

Mari gave a small nod in agreement with Primrose. "I'm worried about myself to be honest. " Mari offered Primrose a small smile of support. "Hey, if we are in the same group, I will help cover you. We don't need any senseless death, but you look like you can hold your own." Mari added, hoping to give the other girl some form of confidence. She found it easy to speak to Primrose, and it was still oddly refreshing.

"The guild is only as strong as it's weakest link." Mari repeated, tapping her chin thoughtfully with her index finger. Watching as Primrose neatened herself up. "You look fine sweetie." She added with a smirk.