[PP-F5] Meeting someone new (Steel and Mari)

“I guess I should start the day off with some training.†Steel said to himself as he walked around in the 5th floor town. Even with his current level, he normally stayed on the 2nd or 3rd floors and he wanted a bit more of a challenge. As he walked outside of the safe zone, he couldn’t really see any monsters yet. Pretty soon, he found a girl walking around the area. “Hey, do you know where there’s some mobs to fight?†He asked the girl who seemed to have been in the area longer.

Mari stopped, she was hot and bothered- she hated the 5th floor; but she was scouting the area for a future quest - she had also attempted to gain a few guild members but sadly, that had failed miserably. the 5th floor was not one that had many players much like the 4th floor. It seemed that people hated the extreme cold or the extreme heat. Mari wiped some sweat from her brow, and stopped when someone had called out.

Mari turned around to see another player, was he calling out to her? Mari looked around; there were no other players around.

"Me?" Mari asked, "Err yeh; there are mobs outside the town." She said in an unimpressed voice. "You have to travel a fair ways out; but there is a quest monster nearby so yanno...." Mari shrugged. Not bothering to continue her sentence.

• 4 weeks later...

"Geez, there was no need for the sarcasm." Steel said in response. He then noticed how annoyed she looked, probably because it was hot. "Well, thanks for the advice I guess. Anyway, if you hate this floor so much, why did you decide to train here? I just decided to come here to train my mind to get used to the heat while fighting monsters. You don't look like you're here to get a tan either."

OOC: I'm so sorry about forgetting for a while.

Mari grinned, "Oh, but sarcasm is so much fun." 

Mari sighed, as she wiped her brow, the boy asked why she came here when she clearly, and most definately hated the floor. "I heard about a quest on this floor- a few actually. I was thinking about taking them on. There is a floor raid happening soon - and I am a front liner - so I want to be stronger for that one." 

Mari laughed lightly and gave Steel a tap on the shoulder as he made a comment about not wishing to get a tan. "You're alright kid, and no - I think I'd burn to a crisp before tanning." 

Mari nodded, "Yeh, well, this is the fifth floor, I am sure anyone level 7 or higher would do fine here. I feel like I'm not strong enough for the front lines, but  I got a guild to run. So, here I am." Mari listened as the boy asked her if there were any interesting quests. 

"Well, here we have 'The traveller' which gives you extra health, and we have the blood in the sand one, something about a shark."

"I wonder which one I should do." Steel pondered. "Would any of them bring a challenge or anything? I heard from a few friends that they were hard but that's when they were level 5 themselves. Well, I'm assuming the shark is a boss while the health one is a normal type of quest. What would be more fun?" He asked that last question to himself. "By the way, I'm Steel, what's your name?"

Mari shrugged, "I'm not sure - to be honest I haven't really looked into them. The Traveller looks like it'd be the easier of the two. However it also seems like it'd be more...mmm wants the word.." Mari muttered, tapping her lip in thought. "Tedious? Bothersome? Boring? Something like that...."

Mari paused to give a sigh and wipe her brow, pulling out a bottle of water and taking a swig. "The Blood in the Sand quest seems like it'd be more fun, I guess. My name is Mari." She gave him a nod. "Good to meet you."

((Try to make your posts a little longer; they are dangerously close to one lining which is not allowed!  Be careful :P If you want help making longer posts let me know via  PM~?   ))

"mmmm...." Mari scratched her chin. Thinking about his offer. It'd be good to get it over and done with, but she had other things she needed to take care of first. "I have a few more things to take care of first - and I do have another person who said he would come with me on this quest...so I guess it depends what he thinks, he's a moody ol' thing." Mari laughed, thinking about Zero's white hair. "He's got the hair of an old man and all that jazz too! But you're right...it's not smart to do it on your own. Do you have anyone else who would do it with you?"

"A guy that looks like an old man? Sounds strange." Steel said in response. "Although I bet he isn't really an old man, he certainly sounds like a grumpy old man." He then began to ponder about who to invite. "I think I have some idea as well. It's a girl I met when we were first starting this death game. Well, actually a little while after but that's not really the point. I'll contact her, she'll probably want to join in and raise her level." He then proceeded to message the said girl. "Well, the more fun the merrier. He said as he did so.

Mari gave a small laugh. "Well, I guess the only thing that is 'old man' about him is his white hair, and I guess his attitude. heheh...I am not sure how old he is, but he looks young." 

Mari waited for Steel to message a girl he said he was talking about. "Oh?" Mari asked, "I wasn't aware we were going to have company...." She didn't mean it, but she sounded less than enthusiastic. "In case you haven't noticed... I am not a real people person. heh."

• 2 weeks later...

"An old young man I guess then." Steel said in a joking tone. "I guess I'll nickname him Bossan then, combining the words young (Bo) and old man (ossan)." He laughed a little at this joke. He then noticed that Mari didn't seem to like the idea of more people. "I haven't actually sent the email yet so if you don't want to, we can just stick with you, me and bossan." He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable in any way. Even though he wasn't much of a people person, he at least always had a good heart.

OCC: I'm so sorry for not posting in a while. I was busy with my teaching job and my own school work over the break.

• 2 weeks later...

Mari scratched her cheek, offering him a less than impressed smile as he cracked the joke; giving the guy a nickname. Mari held her tongue - choosing not to state why it was silly to give someone they hadn't met a nickname. Mari had been constantly told she was difficult to get along with because she constantly spoke her mind, and didn't think before talking. A god 'foot in mouth' syndrome.

"Mmm? No, no if you want to send the message - do so. Zero won't be joining us. Just don't expect me to be polite."

Mari said simply. 

• 4 years later...

Mari sighed as she ran her hand through her pink hair.  "I'm sorry Steel, I'm just...really not good with people. I guess things in the past kinda...get to me, yanno?" She said as she shifted her blue eyes away from his. "It's like...I find it almost impossible to do the simplest of tasks, like talking to you here." Mari stood and dusted herself off, "It really doesn't help that this is like...a literal desert, it almost reminds me of home and I'm not sure if that makes me happy, or completely pisses me off."

Her blue eyes scanned the horizon of the floor, nothing but terrible sandy desert. "Ugh..." It really is like home, out in the country at least.

"I don't mean to be rude kid, but I don't think I can wait for your friend. I'm hot, and I'm bothered, and all I want to do right now is find some shade."

Mari lifted a finger to the left of where they were sitting. "There are some sand sharks that way if you walk for about 10 minutes, just be careful because the big one that spawns is a floor boss. I'm not sure if you would be able to handle it on your own." Mari gave Steel a light bap on his shoulder. "Whatever you do in life, have fun with it, but I'm done here. You and your friend have fun. Maybe next time when we meet I won't be so bothered...and maybe next time, you'll learn some damn manners too." Mari said, she didn't mean to sound harsh, but as always, that was exactly how she sounded. The pinkette awkwardly scratched the back of her head as she turned away from Steel. There was nothing more to say to him. He'd go on his way, and she'd go on hers.

The only difference was that he was meeting with friends and she was....

what am I even doing here, exactly?

Mari left Steel, sitting there along - amongst the hot sands and winds of the fifth floor. She felt flustered, in part due to the heat - and in part due to the less than hospitable conversation that had just occurred. She tried to replay it over in her head. He was a little obnoxious, but he was a kid. Heck... most the people in this game were kids. Mari had to keep reminding herself of that. These were kids and kids...were arrogant and obnoxious, and bratty. It was just part of growing up, and they were spending the best years of their lives trapped in this hellhole of a game.

So who was she to judge them? "Ugh..." Mari mumbled as she paused in her stead and drew a deep breath. "The hell am I even doing on this floor? I hate the heat... I hate the sand and I hate the desert...all I wanted to do was scout out that damn Blood Shark thing...and I've done that so why am I still here?"

First things first...

Back to the town. It may not be much cooler than here, but it was a bloody side better than wandering a literal desert. "Right...first thing I need to do is get back to Fortaleza..." Mari murmured to herself as she opened up her map and placed a marker on it. The town wasn't that far away. A brisk walk...10 minutes at most. That would be nice and easy, right?

Wrong

Not even five minutes had passed and Mari was dripping in sweat. Each step was hard, lifting up and pounding into the soft sad that broke beneath her steps, falling away and threatening to send the small pinkette tumbling forward as she would loose her balance. But Mari wouldn't let the sand win. ""Goddamn Desert floors...I never want to come here again...gross..." She muttered to herself as she tried to slick back sweet from her face, but her hands just slide right off her skin.

Step...Step...Step...

Each one took her closer and closer to Fortaleza. Finally, she could see the high sandstone walls that surrounded the city. A feeble laugh escaped her lips as she saw it. "F-Finally...." Mari wheezed as she placed a hand on the wall to support herself so she could catch her breath. "You think as an Aussie I'd be used to this sort of heat..." She muttered. The heat wasn't even muggy, but a dry heat - still. It was near unbearable for the orange haired woman.

Mari entered the town, the high sandstone walls provided a decent amount of shade along the outer ring of town, and it was noticeably cooler. She shut her eyes and took another deep breath, enjoying the very minute and subtle difference. She opened her eyes and headed toward the main street. Most the buildings here were made from polished and carved sandstone.

There were players, NPCs and Guards alike in this town, but the guards stood out, each carrying large spears. Mari snorted as she entered an inn. Boy was she glad she wouldn't be on the receiving end of that