PP F4: The Cold is What I Know [Life]

Mari had travelled toward the 4th floor. She felt twisted on the inside, her talk with Alkor had helped, if not confused her more than what she was used to. She had a few more things to do, she would have to tell Life and Moartea what she had done, she had killed their guild leader – she had ended a life, and this time. It wasn’t an accident, it was on purpose.

TO: Life
Subject: Argumail

Life; please come to the F4 Frigid Lake, near the tree where you fell from. I, I have done something terrible and have taken a life. I’m sorry.

Mari sat in the snow; curled up in a small ball, the numbing wet sensation, the icy touch of the snow. Mari felt like this is where she belonged. She was cold, and she felt numb. Right now…right now she wanted to talk to someone she trusted; and that was Life.

L was on floor 9 taking care of some dirty business that needed to be done when he got a message from Mari. Straight away at that moment he knew it wasn't going to be good, she never really sent him a message telling him all the wonderful things that happened in her day but if she needed him.. He finished slaying the last dragon for that afternoon and wiped the sweat of his brow opening up his inbox. She... she did what now? Good news~ BE QUIET... i swear if you make one move while I'm trying to comfort her.. I'll end both our lives Big words from such a little man, fuufuu~ I'd like to see you try~ Bitch. He shook his head and made a run for the gate teleporting down to floor 4, the sudden change in temperature shocked him and he could see Mari vaguely off in the distance. Pink wasn't very hard to spot on a plain white landscape. "Mari..?" 

Mari looked up, Life had arrived; he seemed out of breath, and hot- was he on one of the hotter floors? "Hey." She weakly replied as she watched his black form approach her. He stuck out like a sore thumb amidst the white snow. Mari didn't get up to greet him, she didn't exactly have the energy to get up. She got very little sleep the night before. Even with Alkor by her side.

"Life..."

Mari took a deep breath, looking him straight in the eyes, clouded blue eyes steely in their resolve. She wouldn't run. "I killed Argumail."  She didn't attempt to offer an explanation right now, she wanted to wait to see his reaction to her words. Would he be angry? Sad? worried? 

Life got closer why was she all the way out here with no one in the snow? He stopped in his tracks and stared at her wide eye'd, he didn't even have a chance to reply as Silith took control "He deserved it, it's ok.." A sheepish grin spread across his face as he sat next to her in the snow using his black nightmare cloak to cover her with him cuddling close with her. "You're freezing, we should go some place warmer" At least Silith was being nice to her, but for how long would that last. "Do not look so sad Mari, you did the right thing, remember what i said about eliminating scum?" He cradled her in his arms nudging her head with his nose. 

"You...don't hate me either?" Mari asked, still shocked. "Life...how can you...say he deserved to die? You don't know the circumstances." Mari looked down, it seemed that her dear friend had taken on a more...sadistic outlook on the world lately. He sat next to her and wrapped his cloak around her, and she welcomed the warmth. Mari let very few people near her, or even touch her but Life was one of the people she was ok with being so close.  

"I'm fine here. The Cold kind of helps numb things." Mari muttered in response to Life's suggestion to go somewhere warmer. Mari leant her head on Life's shoulder. "I remember what you said....to be honest, when I was...I was..." Mari wasn't able to finish the sentence, she cleared her throat, "When I...ended his....existance..." Mari had to stop for a moment, she felt like throwing up saying such a grotesque thing. Still, she told herself she'd persevere through these feelings. "When I was in the process of it all....your words kept ringing through my head, he was hurting new players, he was wiping his blood on them and ..and " Mari shivered, "He was licking their faces and that abhorrent behaivour..." 

As Mari continued it was clear she was getting angrier, her voice grew in volume and her words dripped with abhorrent venom. "He was disgusting and I couldn't just watch it happen. He was twisted. He was Cancer..." 

His face lit up as her voice twisted, it was the first step closer to being a true advocate of death. "Yes, do not feel bad for what you have done. All you did was cleanse the world of a cancer. If you didn't kill him, all those low level players would have been slaughtered. There is no doubt about it, you saved them from death" His mind started to trail, maybe he was done with comforting her. "There is no sweeter song than the last breathe of the dying. Im sure you felt it when you could see the life fleeing from his eyes as his body laid lifeless. You felt fulfilled, satisfied. No?" His voice was alluring and calming at the same time. He rubbed he sides slowly and gently to warm her up as he spoke and his eyes searched her own for an answer. Searching for an opening to turn her completely into his child, no Sillith's child of madness. "You don't have to answer that straight away, just ask to yourself, and understand who you really are. Deep down, just like the rest of us. Keep in mind.. agony, ecstasy, peace. Every passing has a beauty all its own. There is a beauty in all things" He smirked and rubbed her forehead gently with his own, his warm dark chocolate hair heating her cold pale cheeks, he was still warm from the 9th floor. 

Mari sighed, "I don't like this new tone of voice you have, Life. It's....unnerving," Mari briefly closed her eyes, feeling his warm breath against her skin. She could smell hints of molten and ash - and it was an oddly pleasant smell. "What bothers me more is that I feel you're right. They would have been killed. But I don't feel like  a saviour, I don't know what I feel like right now." 

Mari lifted her head slightly, eyes fluttering open as they turned to him. "What?" His words took her back, and she tried to lift herself from his warm form, but he began to rub her sides slowly, and Mari found herself almost drearily resting her head back onto his shoulder. "That's a horrible...." Mari trailed off, it was a horrible thing to say. It was cruel, evil, sadistic. What did she feel when he died? "I wasn't...." Mari paused, body heaving as she drew in a deep breath and held it. She bit her lower lip hard, hard enough that she had managed to puncture the skin, but she hadn't noticed the dot of blood form. Exhaling slowly Mari whispered. "I felt...relieved...that he..was gone...but then, I was sad."  

Mari's eyes clouded as they became half lidded, how could Life say such things? This...this wasn't the Life she knew, the sad yet frustrated boy. The man who stamped his foot as he stumbled around blind, who seemingly burst into tears at the thought of an event unknown to her. 

"The rest of us...huh?" Mari asked pensively. "Like you? Even Alkor?"

Mari didn't say it aloud, but she did have to agree with the statement that there was a fragile beauty with all things.

He shut his eyes gently, she still wasn't prepared to accept it. A small sigh escaped him as his eyes seemed to grow lazy as if her answer was no where near good enough for him, which in truth for Sillith, it wasn't. She would kill again, he was sure of it but her denial was outstanding "I understand, you feel like you need to cling to what sense of humanity you have left. I don't need to know if i am right or wrong i know that everyone fears change but this perhaps if for the better" He looked over at her again this time with cold eyes "Wether you know if or not Mari, wether you choose to believe it or not, you're doing the wold a favour. Some people who will leave this game will most likely turn into mental psychopaths like Argumail. A body without cancer is a healthy one and if you decide keep choosing to think that ridding the world of its disease is the wrong thing to do then feel free to let it rot, i won't force you into anything" In a sense what he said was true, Sillith had no time for people constantly in denial and that's why she liked L so much even though he acted like he was in denial deep down he knew the truth, making it that much more simpler for her to take over his mind and body.

"This side of you is sadistic." Mari muttered, before giving a small grin, "But admittedly interesting." Her grin fadded when Life turned away, looking bored. Mari arked up, her tone annoyed. "Hey. You're the one who said I was still human. Being human and humanity kind of...." Mari used her hands to illustrate her point, miming weighted scales shifting up and down "Go hand in hand."

Life's eyes turned cold, and Mari clearly looked taken aback at first, but her facial expression changed to a determined one. She wasn't about to let her closest friend play such games. "If that's the case, then I have no problem ridding the world of them." She said blankly, a part of her was surprised she had said the words with such ease. "But don't get me wrong Life, I won't attack unprovoked. Don't try to tempt me into your sick little mind games." 

If only Mari realized that was already happening, and that she was entwining herself deeper into the net that had been cast for her.

• 2 weeks later...

He shook his head slowly and chuckled, it was much too late at this point "You're a smart woman, i wouldn't try to trick you into anything. You're more than capable of your own decisions" Sillith had her in the palm of her hand and Mari didn't even know it. In fact Mari thought she was in control and it made her laugh. I think.. i distinctly remember her saying to you that she'd rather die than kill another player.. yet here she is with the blood of another on her hands. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.. Fufu~ You'll get what you deserve..... someday..... But today, is not that day my dear and won't be until i say so! Sillith was now pushing her luck... if she kept toying with him and Mari, he would get pissed. His eyes stared back over to hers staring into her with his warm red eyes "You always will be human, and thats all you can be.. but what does it really mean to be human Mari?"  He raised an eyebrow and smiled sheepishly,  he was sure she would understand. Humans by default had the instinct to survive and will kill to do it "Just think about it.. I know you know the answer" 

Mari sighed, leaning against Life's shoulder. "Damn right I am Life. And don't forget it any time soon." She gave a smile filled with mirth. "Could say the same to you - you seem so headstrong and resilient in your resolve and decisions. I envy that." 

Mari closed her eyes, staying silent for a few moments, before lifting her head. "Speaking of...Life, you've been acting a tad....mmmm...." Mari pressed her lips together before tapping her cheek with her index finger. "A tad differently lately, your outlook is definitely more....mmm dark." Mari laughed, pushing her pink fringe back out of her face. "Ah, but to be human eh? We do what we need to do to survive."

He wasn't surprised she finally caught on to his change in attitude, did Sillith intend to reveal herself or was she just toying with L again.. "I assure you I'm the same person, just with a more realistic out-view on Life. You seem to be intrigued with it.. perhaps you prefer this me?" He wondered to himself what she thought, she couldn't possibly like the fake version of himself.. right? When she replied to his question he closed his eyes and relaxed, slowly laying down in the snow and pulling her gently along with him so that he covered her whole cold body with his cloak and rested her head gently on his chest "Of course, we do what we must to survive. That's all we can do in this game right now isn't it? To survive. To clear all 100 floors and survive. No matter what it takes" 

Mari shrugged, "I don't have a preference, Life. You're you, and as long as YOU are YOU then what does it matter?" She turned to him, chewing her lip in thought for a moment before continuing. "It just, at the same time though - admittedly, it almost doesn't seem like you." Mari shook her head with a airy laugh. Those words didn't make sense, Mari wasn't even sure what she was saying.

"W-wha?"

Mari asked as Life went to lie in the snow, pulling Mari down with him, he tried to guide her head to to rest on his chest - Mari let herself sit there for a moment but it didn't feel right - She had been in a similar position with Alkor; although not as close and that had felt a lot more natural, without meaning to Mari mumbled Alkor's name as she shifted her head off of Life's chest and rested it in the snow next to him. She shivered and shook her head to dishevel the snow from her pink hair.

"You know, Alkor and I were laying side by side like this; just hours ago...." She mused more to herself than to Life. Mari smirked and nodded. "Yeh, whatever it takes."

He was slightly nerved by the fact she didn't mind this facade created by Sillith, he was angry with himself that he allowed her to take over for this long "Oh, spending more time with Alkor now are we? I suppose that cave worked wonders... do you trust him?" Stop... that's enough now... Nono my darling we've only just begun. Now we tempt her to leaving Alkor, her only safety net... I will NOT! ALLOW YOU! TO DO THIS! ANY LONGER! With that he got up on his knees swiftly and furiously punched the ground, his arm sinking deep into the snow until it was no longer visible, his red eyes burning with hatred "ENOUGH!" He panted heavily and a burden seemed to lift his shoulders as Sillith became dormant once again. His eyes slowly turned to Mari and he shook his head slowly "Im sorry... I need to go...." This was getting ridiculous for him, he had to put an end to Sillith before she took over his life completely, it was his burden to bare. 

Mari smiled as she shut her eyes; thinking of the time she had spent with Alkor before coming here. How the two had shared a few intimate words; both slowly opening up to one another; his eyes. His warm amber eyes. "Do I trust him?" Mari asked, repeating Life's question. Alkor, before he had hastily left he hesitated and had turned back to face her, asking her not to do anything stupid, or reckless. A way of saying 'I worry about you' 

"Yes. I do."   She finally said after a long silence. "Heh, I guess it did - I wouldn't have really interacted with him otherwise. Still, we both owe you a good smack for that one." 

Life suddenly screamed enough, and his sudden movement and shouting had caused Mari to sit up in utter shock, she had assumed he meant enough, enough discussion about Alkor. Life had turned around, punching his hand into the snow, muttering something before saying he had to go. "Wait what? Wait! Was it something I said?" Mari asked, stumbling through the snow toward where he sat. "I can stop talking about him if you like?"

He couldn't allow Sillith to ruin what Mari and Alkor had for eachother but  he couldn't let Mari know about Silith or she would be in grave danger. What do i do.. "I can stop talking about him if you like?" This.. he had a plan.. It would work... but.. she needs me. No.. with Sillith on the lookout to destroy her, i can't do it... He was caught once again with himself.. but it was for the better. He had to push her away. "I.. you... *sigh*" He wasn't entirely sure how to continue. What would he say to her? Get lost? I hate you? Such words where too harsh for her fragile state "I've loved you for a long time Mari..." This should work, he had to word it carefully "I didn't expect you and Alkor to get along so well.. i felt that if you could be happy then i could be happy, but i was wrong.. so terribly wrong... I.." His voice was calm almost too calm so he tried to choke on his words as he spoke, adding a shake every now and then. He teared up and closed his eyes turning away and stormed off. Im sorry Mari..

"Eh?"  Mari leant forward, placing her hands on his shoulders, "You didn't? Life.. you literally pushed our heads together.." Mari began, letting go of his shoulder to mimic the action with her hands. "I figured you wanted us to err...*ahem* date." Mari gave an awkward laugh, quickly adding. "But - we aren't anything like that. We just get along well, that's all. I enjoy his company."

Mari paused, listening to his words, and his tone of voice which she had to admit was eeerily calm as he attempted to confess to her. She was shocked at his words. She awkwardly glanced away, biting her lower lip. For some reason she saw him more of a younger sibling than a romantic partner - but for all she knew he could have been her age, perhaps older. Mari watched him storm off. "H-hey wait! Life!" She stood up and went to chase after him, but foolishly tripped in the hole that was left after Life punched the snow Mari swore as she fell forward with a harsh THRUMP!

He gritted his teeth in frustration, he couldn't keep this up much longer. He swerved on his feet and looked over his shoulder "I was drunk out of my mind at that point, i was trying to drown my sorrow!" That statement however was 100% true and he felt a bit better about it though she was still being mislead, not know what he really meant. It was true his original intentions where for them to start dating, they where both lonely and he hated to see his two closest friends depressed and lonesome. He turned his head back and continued walking off until he heard her call out to him Don't turn back.. Don't turn back... ugh.. He turned to see she had gotten stuck in the hole he punched into the snow. Ah [censored]...  He dashed over to her within an instant holding onto her hand gently pulling her out of the ditch and looked into her eyes painfully, pain for having to do this to her, pain mistakingly being for love "Im sorry.." He looked down and thought for a moment, if she didn't like Alkor like that then what was he trying to accomplish from this? His plan might not work after all but he had to keep trying. "Your such a klutz" He quipped trying to bring some humour to this situation, the pain in his eyes lifting slightly until his gaze settled "He's the one for you Mari.. and I'm nothing. It hurts every time i talk to you.. whenever i take a step forward, i go two steps back. Im just impossible to be satisfied.. I don't even know what i want anymore. Just let me go.." 

Mari flinched when he shouted back at her, voice filled with anguish. Where had this come from? Why...Why was he doing this now? When just moments before the two were having a decent conversation. He had come back to her though, helping her up and out of the snow, Mari mumbled a "thanks.." As she gripped his hand, now up and out of the hole she started dusting the clumps of wet snow off of her. Mari managed a smile as Life said she was a klutz. "I've gotten better yanno - at fighting. Heh whoever thought I'd be a front lin-" 

She stopped her speech as Life continued; stating that Alkor was the one for her - she felt her cheeks grow slightly warm at the thought of it, and Mari had to avert her gaze from his. She wasn't sure what she felt for Alkor, but talk of 'The One' wasn't that a bit heavy? 

Mari turned her gaze back to him, it was clear she was upset as her head was lowered; hands clutching tightly onto her polka dot skirt; balling into shaking fists. Life was one of her closest friends, and she wanted him to stay by her side - but all he wanted... all he wanted was to go.

"You can go..."

Mari murmured, voice cracking, barely a whisper. It was selfish of her to want him to stay. "I can't, be that selfish...." 

His heart felt heavy and his head was pounding, this was too much for him. It was already against his nature to do anything harmful to anyone yet there he stood lying to his friends face. I promise I'll make it up to you..  His eyes wandered off into the distance "Take care of yourself Mari.." With that he walked off trudging through the snow. His scorn for himself growing by the second, Mari shouldn't care about him. He was nothing, pathetic, she didn't say he was wrong and that was because he knew he was right. All that was left to do now was move forward, that's all anyone could ever do in this deathtrap anyway. He knew he was going to miss her, it was just something regular for most people.. wasn't it? Now that he though about it, Mari was kinda cute.. and she had a beautiful voice too. What the [censored] is wrong with you L, pull your [censored] together you need to do this for your sake and hers, bite the bullet. He gave out one last soft sigh and the winds buffeted his face teleporting out shortly after. 

Complete.

Summary: +1 sp for both players. +1heartache for Mari +1headache for L