[PP-F2] Flowers and Tea {Mari}

Celes lay in the grass and flowers of floor two, letting the wind blow over her. She liked this spot, sunflowers had been her favorite flowers in the real world. They reminded her of the woman she loved, she would bring her sunflowers on bad days. She sat there looking at the blue sky as the clouds rolled overhead. 

The flowers here seem so real, I should pick some and take them to y friends on some of the other floors.... 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mari wanted to collect more flowers; she was almost doing it just out of habit now. An action that once brought he some sort of Solice, and peace....placing flowers at her daughters grave site. Why was she doing it now? Mari was still sad, very sad but she was beginning to feel that the action had lost its meaning. She gave a soft sigh as she started picking a few large sunflowers. Before stopping. She had held a bouqet of smaller flowers already, but what was she doing? Really...?

Placing stupid flowers at a place of death wasn't going to do anything good. "Raaaa!" Mari threw the flowers into the air and they fell  around her, splashes of colour falling into the yellow field. "Stupid censored flowers!"

Celes heard her first

"Raaaa!"

...and looked up, Mari was kneeling in the grass near her. That woman, her protector... her Guardian? maybe.  The PKer that was filled with regret. Celes walked over to her and kneeled, looking at the flowers surrounding her. She walked over and began to pick up the flowers around her "its no good if you drop them, the disappear after a few ticks, we dont want that." she said, picking another flower up. 

She looked at Mari warmly and said "Do you need help picking flowers?"

Mari noticed Celes approach, but didn't acknowledge her at first, she just silently watched as the other girl began to pick up the flowers that had littered the floor around Mari. "Don't bother." Mari muttered, "I don't plan to do anything with them. It was just a habbit  I had." Mari wasn't going to go into detail as to why she had them. She didn't mind the other girls company but Mari didn't feel like being all touchy feely today. Her moods seemed to be souring more and more.

After a small silence Mari sighed. 

"That player hasn't given you any more trouble has he?"

Celes smiled as she asked about the other player, she continued to pick up the flowers and said "Nope, No one else has given me trouble, you seem to have a way with words, no one else has threatened me" She sighed, somehow this woman had defended her twice already, coming to her aid when no one else could. Celes continued to pick up flowers, arranging them in a bouquet for her. She wondered what habit this woman had that involved picking flowers, someone sad usually doesnt go around doing all of this. 

She bundled up the flowers and gave them back to Mari "I believe these are yours, arent they?" she said with a smile, taking the time to sit down next to mari. 

"Good." Mari said, and she thought that if they did, she'd kill them. But she didn't voice that, because Celes didn't need to hear it and it scared Mari how easy that thought came to her, how natural it felt to just have that instinct to kill. Mari clenched her fists together then unclencehd them a few times. Celes had offered the flowers back to Mari and Mari begrudgingly accepted them. Staring at them bitterly.

"I don't have a need for them any more." 

"Sometimes its not about needing things, its about indulging in what we want, and i think you wanted these flowers, no?" She looked at Mari and bluntly asked "What made you like this?  You are so strong but, I wish i could be like that, i cant... you keep needing to save me"  she chuckled for a moment, and looked around. "This really is the most beautiful floor, i would have loved to play here as a child... now, i guess its a pretty cage."

Mari shrugged. "I was picking them to place on the spot where I killed my daughter." She said quietly as she started pulling the heads of the flowers off their stems, letting them fall to the floor and disappear. "My strength is nothing. I just butt in, I saw someone attack you and honestly...my mind went blank. I was ready to kill him. Just like I did with Argumail. I'm not strong Celes. Not by a long shot."

Mari fell quiet, finishing destroying the flowers Celes was so kind to pick up, "Mmm...." It was all Mari could say as she dug her nails into her legs. Last time Celes mentioned a child, or being childlike Mari had lashed out at her without realizing and Mari almost did it again, but this time she was more aware of her actions. 

"I'm not safe to be around yanno."

Celes leaned into Mari "I think youre perfectly safe" she said with a smile, resting her head close to mari. "Killed your daughter.... so that is wy you are in such pain. No i think you're very strong, you have protected me, twice. But more so, you have continued to live with your pain. I hear it in your voice, I heard it in your music, but most of all I saw it. You re strong, others would not be living with something like that, you know?" 

She could feel herself relaxing "You remind me of someone i used to know, but they... they didnt make it. That is why you seem strong to me."

Mari stiffened when Celes leant her head against Mari's shoulder. Mari wasn't a fan of being close to people. Especially physically. Mari glanced away from Celes. "I manhandled you during that performance, and I almost slapped you now. I have these...waves come over me." Mari fell silent not wanting to continue or divulge any more personal information. Mari wasn't sure what to say to Celes, was she supposed to apologize to the girl for her loss? Was she supposed to smile and offer words of support?

The old Mari would have done those things without hesitation, but now? Now Mari just stayed silent. She knew it'd be difficult to respond to such silence but what else was she to do?

Mari sent Celes a friend request. "You tell me if anyone touches you."

Celes helt mari stiffen and gave her space. Not everyone was as touchy as her. When mari sent the request over Celes accepted it without hesitation. "I think everyone gets waves of emotions like that, especially when people are going against what is comfortable for you.... but i also think you have more control than you realize , so dont think less of yourself. Everyone makes mistakes, but for some, the cost of the mistake is greater. I think that happened to you. I'll.... I'll let you know if someone tries anything."  She got up and brushed herself off, looking around for a moment before saying "Why dont we both pick flowers and take them to her?"

"Good." Mari replied simply. Thankful that Celes would call on her if she ever needed. The girl seemed to notice Mari stiffen - Celes got up, dusted herself off and asked if Mari wanted to pick flowers. "I don't know..." Mari began, she looked up at Celes, she held a soft smile, and as she smiled her warm brown gaze smiled with her; her entire person seemed to extrude some sort of welcoming warmth, and Mari wasn't sure if that made her feel uncomfortable because she didn't like to be close to people or if it was because she felt she didn't deserve it.

Mari looked away, breaking their gaze. Thinking back on what others had said, most recently Zero and Daeron. Daeron told her he did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted - also whoever he wanted but Mari wasn't going to stray down that path. Zero had wanted so badly to convince her it was ok to feel down and that she shouldn't focus on negatives. With a small sigh Mari stood up. Placing a hand on Mari's head, ruffling the tuft of hair. "I guess, but I don't want to deal with sentimental bullsh*t."

"Alright!" Celes said happily "No sentimental stuff!"  she said as mari ruffled her hair, she really enjoyed that, almost purring as she felt it. She snapped out of it and ran to the nearest path of sunflowers and, using her glaive, cut some down. She back to mari, hands holding a bushel of flowers. "I see tulips over there! Come on!" she ran off to the direction of the tulips. She seemed almost like a happy puppy, running through flowers. In reality this floor made her feel full of life, she had always enjoye running through flowers as a child, and this was amazing. Eventually she looked over to Mari, to see how she was faring. Would her protector be okay? Would she survive her own trials? Celes hoped she could make it, she had so much to live for... Even if she couldn't see it  just yet. 

Mari blinked, somewhat shocked at the sudden energy from Celes. Mari walked behind her as she enthusastically ran toward a group of sunflowers, hastily cutting them down. Celes bought them back to Mari who stumbled to take hold of them. "W-whoa...h-hang on!"  Mari shuffled the flowers around so that she could reach out to catch Celes, but the girl had already bounced off toward a bed of tulips. Mari gave a small smile and followed, seeing Celes so energetic and filled with an innocent glee, it was like a breath of fresh air. Mari had been so wrapped up in everything else that she hadn't, pun intended, stopped to smell the roses.

"heh.."

Celes looked over to see mari smelling the roses "heh" the chuckled and called otu to her Oi! Careful with the roses that can be prickly!! Do you want some lavender? It seems okay, for a game!  Oh maybe we can go get some gardenias!" She rushed to the gardenias, clipping a few. Eventually she couldnt carry anymore flowers, and her inventory was full as well. She walked over to Mari, barely visible behind the flowers "Alright, you need to guide me, i can hardly see behind these" 

Mari sighed as she straightened herself, still holding the large pile of Sunflowers, how was Celes so energetic? Mari went to reply to Celes' question but she had spotted yet another flower and ran off again, finally Celes slowed down. Mari didnt exactly do much flower picking, she sort of just stood there awkwardly whilst the other girl freely ran around. "Guide you?" Mari asked incredulously. "It's in the forest, here..." Mari grabbed Celes by the arm and started pulling her further into the forest.

Celes watched the trees go by overhead, letting Mari guide her. She felt safe being led by Mari, seeing the trees pass. She wondered what this woman thought of her. Did she think her crazy? Maybe weird? Many people had, in the real world. She tended to care too much, and that scared people.

Eventually they reached a small clearing in the trees, and she stopped, waiting for Mari to say something, anything. She daren't speak in this place, without permission.

Mari slowed down when she hit the clearing approaching the tree; it was all so pristine , so quiet as though nothing ever happened here. How long had it been? Mari wasn't the best at keeping track of time here. A week? A few days? It felt longer, it felt as though years had gone by and that the incident was but a distant, fuzzy memory. One which Mari had sometimes questioned if it had happened at all. Sometimes she pretended it didn't happen, and that it was a sick dream bought on by the stress of the game.

But that was running.

Mari told herself she wouldn't run, after a long silence Mari realized she was still holding onto Celes hand, she slowly let go and stepped forward. Placing the sunflowers at the trees base.

"I almost don't feel anything anymore. I don't know if I should be scared or relieved."

Celes frowned and put the flowers down, she begun to arrange them as she said "sometimes we feel so much that we become numb, like robots. I think the trick is to let yourself feel only a little at a time, until you've gone through everything you need to feel. At least, that is what I do. Though sometimes I need help." She looked up at Mari thinking about how lonely it must be....

"You know, on this floor there is a cabin in the forest, it belongs to an npc with a quest that gives you some col and food. I stayed there for a bit. I know you can't go into safe zones right now, so why not stay there. I can show you where it is..." (For reference see my secret medicine of the forest post if you want)

Mari silently watched Celes work, delicate fingers creating dynamic displays of flowers. She had a real knack for it, coordinating colours sizes and textures. Mari would never be able to do such things. "Do you do that often?" Mari asked, pausing a moment before elaborating, "Decorating...and arranging flowers, I mean."

Mari bought her knees up to her chest and nestled her head between them, speaking thoughtfully. "I like feeling numb. In a way. It's peaceful. It's easier." Her face contorted into a look of disdain. "Heh, guess I'm a bit of a coward in that respect."

Celes offered for them to go to a cabin, but Mari didn't feel lieke moving right now, she stayed silent for a long time, just as it was beginning to grow uncomfortable she spoke. "Soon. Sure."  Her eyes remained on the flower arrangement Celes made, as she repeated her words in a mesmerized whisper. "Soon."