PP F9: Slippery Slopes

Another…another… Mari had killed again, and this time…this time it felt almost too simple and that scared her. Mari took on the bounty because she had assumed the worst. She assumed the guy killed for joy, just as his friend had talked about, but after hearing his story; Mari didn’t have the heart or desire to hurt him anymore, but she knew that Alkor was after him – and in a sense Zelrius too, in the end she had killed him. She told herself it was to do him some sort of justice, but was that really the case?

Mari wanted to consult with Alkor over this; she had been messaging him on and off the past few days – and knew where he would  be, and if he wasn’t there she’d wait there for him.

Mari was on the 9th floor; far from the main cities; a desserted part where seldom tread. She couldn’t blame them – the floor was freaking hot. “He had to be on this damn floor…” She mumbled bitterly to herself. She finally managed to find the cave she ventured in. It was much, much cooler inside than it was outside. She had ventured in a fair ways till she found a smaller cavern; and in it a sleeping Alkor.

Sneaking up on him whilst he was asleep; that would have some severe ramifications. Still, it was something she couldn’t resist doing. Mari snuck up on him, then flicked his head.

“Yo, sleeping beauty.”

Sleep had been so difficult to get in the past weeks, when he finally got it, Alkor found it to be extremely fragile. His eyes flicked open and regarded Mari immediately when she touched him, and with system aided quickness, his hand whipped up and caught her wrist. It took him a second to register who she was. "Mari?" He asked in a confused and groggy voice.

His hand released her gently a heartbeat later, once Alkor was fully alert and aware that his health was in no danger of falling to zero. "Sorry," he muttered, "I'm not used to visitors during rest hours." Really, he didn't get visitors at all out here. It was so remote that most players didn't bother exploring out that far.

Sitting upright, Alkor folded his arms neatly in his lap and gestured for her to take a seat. Anywhere really would be fine- it wasn't like this was a luxurious home in a floor city. There were no chairs, no couch, no comfortable bed. It was lackluster, and Alkor knew it. "I also apologize in advance for skimping on the accommodations."

"Now," he asked with a serious face, "what can I do for you, ma'am?"

Mari gave an amused snort when his hand whipped up to grab her, holding onto her wrist fast and tight, only to let it go a moment later. "Morning sleepy head." Mari added in a forced playful tone, unsure if he'd pick up on it, he wasn't exactly a people person but that didn't mean he wasn't perceptive. "Know any other pink haired players?"

She shook her head as he said sorry. "Don't apologize, you're only doing what's natural, hell you could roll over and slice me up with that there sword of yours." Mari said as she pointed to the blade still at his side. "I couldn't blame you"

Alkor gestured for her to take a seat and Mari sat as close as she could to him, whilst leaning her back against the cool wall. It was a much wanted pleasantry after trekking all the way out here. "Middle of nowhere on a volcanic floor, if I didn't know better - I'd say you didn't want to be around people." She chided. Alkor turned serious, asking her what he could do for her, even going as far as to call her ma'am. Mari stared at him for a few moments; his hair was a mess, bed head, and his eyes still seemed to be adjusting to being awake. It looked as though he had been using his cloak as a makeshift blanket...or pillow. She wasn't sure. His golden gaze burned into her. Mari shook her head, turning her eyes away from his.

"I killed someone, again - that bounty.....and it scares me because it was ....it was so easy, I feel-" Mari paused, flinching at her own words. "I feel bad - but, I don't...I'm finding that I'm not dwelling on it as much as I have in the past - and - and....that scares me."

Mari didn't dare look up, what would he think of her now? Would he strike her down? Would he tell her that it's ok? Would he be disgusted and tell her to leave?

As his eyes finally adjusted- slowly- he began to swipe his finger to open the menu and promptly re-equipped his makeshift sleeping device. The hood draped down over his eyes, which he proceeded to peel back so that she could continue to feel his gaze.

In silence, he evaluated her words as they shifted from defensively sarcastic to guarded admission. He kept his hands folded carefully, not allowing his expression to change. She spoke of how it grew easier, and how she felt like it was becoming less of a scar. Mari told him about how it was almost mechanical, and he weighed her words as though he had a scale sitting between them.

That image was abolished by the memory that Alkor was not a man who judged others. The woman finished speaking, and he closed his eyes for a long moment. "If it did not scare you, you'd have cause to be worried." His gloved hand slipped out, summoned tender and flint from his menu, and moments later, there was a quaint fire burning low in the center of the small cavern. "You did a duty- a grim duty, but one you willingly accepted. The difference between that and simply taking a life is the depth of an ocean."

Golden flames in his half-open eyes mirrored the fire on the floor. "I would never kill a man who did not deserve it." He had no place, out of all those in Aincrad, to judge her actions. "Justice does not take sides. Duty is not questioning. You asked me once how I bore it so... easily?" Alkor paused, thoughts dancing in his mind, fighting for the privilege of being the ones he chose to iterate. "Each life we take is a link in a chain. That chain is one that binds us for the rest of our lives, and the weight- if ever it becomes too heavy- drags us to hell. Those links are forged from cold, grim things like duty. Honor, justice- ideals. Loftier than frail things like winning or losing. You can't escape their consequences, but their calling is just as undeniable. When the call comes, the worthy answer, and the worthy carry the weight to protect those who were not strong enough to do it themselves."

Alkor spat on the fire, and it shivered, then roiled indifferently. "It sounds so convoluted, saying it out loud." He laughed and glanced up at her, smirking. "There comes a time in everyone's life when they feel compelled to join a cause greater than their own. For me, that's not a guild or a quest, or something so simplistic. For me, it's living my life in a way that others refuse to. Even if that means I swallow my reservations and get my hands bloody."

In a few moments of awkward silence, Alkor found himself gazing deep into the fire. Something he'd once told Lessa pricked at his thoughts, and he spoke again. "I wanted to protect every single life on Aincrad. Ideally, we would have all worked together, and as a community, we would have solved this tragic game. It's become less simple than that. The good in people has gone crazy. Evil has found its way into this world, as it does in every world." He had changed so much from that young, brash boy who wanted to save the world. Murder changes a man, he mused darkly. "We can't just protect everyone and cast a blind eye on the knife creeping toward our backs. We have good intentions, but we're not stupid."

"You can't save everyone."

Alkor was a silent man, and he remained as such even after her admission. He quietly equipped his jacket and pulled the hood down, a gesture most wouldn't notice - but somehow Mari found comfort in it. It wasn't an action Alkor seemed comfortable with, nor one he did too often. So Mari appreciated the gesture, she wouldn't say as such but she offered him a small smile, listening to his words. Strong words weighted by careful thought and consideration, spoken with a dark indifferent tone.

"How do you manage to find the words I need to hear?" Mari mused, more so to herself than to Alkor. Her eyes stared at the crackling fire before them as she took in his words. It was something she had willingly accepted. One that she had all too quickly took upon after seeing the bounty.

"I don't think Tom deserved it." Mari began, her voice pensive. "He had killed to protect lives - what is the difference between that and what I had done to Argumail? I think...." Mari paused, trying to find the correct words - she was no wordsmith and compared to Alkor, she felt like a bumbling idiot. "It bothers me - why did Zelrius place a bounty on his head, but not on mine? Or yours? Will we end up having a bounty on our heads? You accepted the bounty too - what would you have done?" Mari asked. It wouldn't bother her if she had one, rather she had been expecting it for some time, Alkor had killed Uriel, a despicable man. Mari, she had killed 3 people - two of which she felt did not deserve it.

Mari shifted the subject, "Hey - If I'm being dragged to hell, I may as well enjoy the scenery along the way eh?" Mari gave her shoulders a small shrug, "We both have bloodied our hands; if we both end up in hell at least I can safely say I'd enjoy the company."

Her face turned serious when Alkor mentioned that no one could save everyone. "You can't save everyone, but if you save just one person. I feel that makes all the difference. Even if that one person is yourself."

As the heat danced and wavered between them, Alkor let out a hollow sounding laugh. Pained words flowed from her lips, and harshness from an overly critical mind lashed at her like an unseen whip. Alkor knew all too well the sort of mental duress she was under. "Thoughts can hurt us more than swords," he whispered, almost unintelligibly. He considered for a moment the right thing to tell her- dismissing her qualms with murder was not the proper course of action, and might send her into a numbed state where she would lapse into unfeeling recidivism. Alkor needed to consider his next words carefully.

"Killing is a choice," he told her gently."It is an option, among many other options. It should never be the first, and others should be exhausted long before it is reached." Right and wrong were not the problem- she could decide for herself in a situation what to do. Mari could look at a situation subjectively and place fault or blame wherever she liked. The pink haired girl had come to him for his thoughts, and so, he gave her wisdom, not laws by which to live. He opted to stress that in all things, she was free to live, die, and choose as she saw fit. "The problem with living after the act is mental. Questions of uncertainty, such as "what if I was wrong," or "why did this happen" only complicate your own resolve to keep going. A person who lives in the past never moves forward. You can't know the end of something that was never given closure." He gestured toward her with one hand, "but you can absolutely tear yourself apart trying."

To her question of bounties on their own heads, Alkor only gave a mirthless smirk. "They may try." As her words changed to a question of what he would have done, his smirk faded into a flat line. "I would have done what I had to do," he told her, "which may have included killing the boy, or may not have," he admitted. "But it didn't happen. There is no way of knowing what I would have done. All that you can do is live with what you chose."

Slowly standing, he thought back to something he'd heard once. "We are the architects of our own actions, and must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic." Several steps had separated them that no longer did. Almost awkwardly he stood next to her, and a moment later, sat. Alkor wrapped her with a comforting arm and closed his eyes. "I'm not planning on going to Hell any time soon," he consoled her, "and I'm not planning on you going there, either. Let's stay positive, shall we?"

The sentiment about saving someone- even oneself- was poetic and beautiful, if small, and he thought it worthy of an equally kind gesture. That closeness, though awkward for both players, was something that was- once in a million years- comforting. Alkor rested his head on her shoulder, clearly weary. In the midst of a quiet yawn, he managed, "I'll save anyone I can," he said, "but right now, I'm trying to make sure you're safe."

Alkor spoke, his voice low – Mari strained to hear; and failed to over the sound of the crackling fire. He may have just been musing to himself so Mari left him alone, deciding it best not to question him. The two were quite similar in many ways, and Mari felt guilty; constantly coming to him. It was almost a habit now. Kill a man, go to Alkor. Mari stared at the fire, a troubled look plaguing her features. She had hoped he didn’t get the wrong impression. She came to him, for reasons she didn’t exactly know or understand. If Life was around she’d seek him out but he had been rather quiet lately.

Mari turned her gaze to Alkor as he spoke, an unusually gentle tone escaping his hard visage. “You’re right.” She said, “That is a choice, one I will live with – for the rest of my life. It doesn’t end once the game ends.  I’m not going to fool myself with such idyllic thinking. I don’t – I’ve decided I don’t want anyone to kill so simply. If I have to do so in their place – then I will.” Mari turned her gaze away, “I may question my actions, even regret them – but I cannot change what has been done. All one can do is reflect on those actions and use them to guide their future decisions.”

As Alkor smirked, making a snide comment Mari laughed – “Somehow, with the two of us, I don’t think they’d get too far. Still- I’d rather not be arrogant.” As his smile faded Mari covered her mouth with her hand, gently biting on a few of her fingernails. He gave her harsh, but true words on the matter. There was no point in questioning what he could or should have done, he was not the one who did it, and it was I the past now. Alkor stood, and Mari was readying herself to get up; she supposed he wanted to get back to sleep; but those next moments shocked her.

Alkor, the lone man. Focused on battling – fighting, and clearing the game. Alkor the man who asked her ‘what else is there’ when posed the question of his resolve. Alkor, the man who now sat close to her, wrapped an arm around her – and consoled her. Mari bit her lip. His proximity didn’t bother her, rather she felt flattered; and again – something else she wasn’t sure of. It was a feeling that felt both comforting and twisted, a knot in her stomach she couldn’t untangle. She turned her face toward him, and smiled.

Mari stiffened, only  for a moment as she felt Alkor’s head rest onto her shoulder; but she almost immediately relaxed again. He gave a yawn, and as he nestled into her neck strands of chestnut hair tickled her bare skin. Mari shut her eyes leaning into the weary man for a moment. “Alkor…” She murmured, lifting her hands up, without hesitation she carefully grabbed his shoulders, shifting herself so that she could place his head comfortably in her lap. Looking down on him she wondered if this was perhaps too uncomfortable for him, the proximity, the closeness of the affectionate actions she had bestowed on him. If he were to shy away, that wouldn’t matter – Mari would understand, but he was tired. Clearly, he seemed to have just as much trouble sleeping as she did. Mari carefully brushed back his hair, out of his face. “You’ve already saved me, and kept me safe.” She said in a hushed voice as she continued to comb her fingers through his hair. “And that’s something I’ll never forget.”

Mari grinned; repeating his words in a quiet, yet playful tone. “What else is there…” 

Resistance had crossed his mind for a fleeting instant as Mari gently took his shoulders and shifted his body. When his head met her lap, Alkor curled instinctively into a ball and nestled his head against her, burying one side of his face. Her fingers moved delicately through his hair, taking him back to so long ago, before Aincrad was anything more than a dream in the mind of Kayaba Akihiko.

Somewhere between consciousness and the world we can only visit in our minds, Alkor found himself alone, but warm. He saw nothing, heard nothing, felt nothing. Well, relatively nothing- Alkor felt safe in that abyss for the first time since he was a very small boy.

His arm wrapped around Mari's waist tenderly and pulled her close to his face like a pillow. Though he had not intended it, Alkor had dozed off very awkwardly in the girl's lap, and now, he was holding her like a pillow. Doubtless, he would hear about this later.

Colors flashed in his mind and the warmth shifted into the sensation of an embrace, of a soft caress. Alkor began to snore softly, his body relaxing under the girl's careful watch. It was rare that he ever showed weakness or let his guard down, so for him to go completely defenseless in front of someone else was a powerful message in its own right. 'I trust you.'

Alkor didn't reply, which made Mari frown, slightly - she thought she had made a rather smart comment and it would go completely missed. She took a deep breath and gave a long sigh - continuing to run her hands through his hair. He had nestled into a ball, curling his body around her form, nestling his head further against and into her lap, Mari couldn't help but feel happy at the action. She'd never expect Alkor to act in such a way. Alkor had drifted off and Mari took this time to appreciate his delicate features.

Her fingers traced the curve of his jawline, and brushed against his cheeks; he gave a soft murmur, dark brows furrowing - so Mari went back to combing her fingers through his hair, and his face relaxed, as he wrapped his arms around her waist. Mari gave him a smile - she wasn't sure what to say at this point. Not that she would say anything right now. The man was sound asleep, adrift in unconsciousness. "I envy that..." Mari murmured as he started to snore. Mari wished she could sleep so easily. She felt very tired herself - having travelled to him at night rather than during the day. "You're safe for now Alkor." Mari whispered softly. Awkwardly leaning forward to place a small kiss on his forehead before leaning her back against the wall with a long yawn as she shut her eyes. 

Mari may not know much, she couldn't distinguish her feelings, she couldn't piece her thoughts together. Mari felt as though at times, she could barely hold herself together, but she was begining to understand one thing. She cared for Alkor. To what degree she couldn't say. She knew she enjoyed his company, and he made her feel safe and warm, and for now - that was more than she could ever ask for or felt that she deserved. 

The pink haired girl was drifting in and out of consciousness, her hand no longer stroking Alkors head, it rested on top of it, the other, on top of his torso, soon - albeit less comfortable than Alkor, Mari found herself asleep.

The gentle sensation of a hand on his head welcomed Alkor back to reality. However long he had been out, he had spent it very comfortably in Mari's lap. So comfortably, Alkor had wrapped himself around the woman like a serpent. How strange that felt, he could not say.

He shifted very little, not wanting to wake the troubled woman. As he did rise, Alkor took his cloak and laid it down on the ground. Gently adjusting Mari's body, he laid her down on the fabric. He thought better of touching her in any other way- her hair, or her lips, or her hand. Instead, Alkor draped an arm over her and held her softly to his chest. If he was going to rest easily, she deserved to as well.

Alkor's eyes flicked shut again, though he didn't quite fall asleep. His mind was alive with thought, and he let it run its course. He'd get his rest soon enough.

Mari was asleep, but she felt the sensations of being shifted. Her brows furrowed and she gave a soft murmur - then - she felt the comfort of fabric against her skin, then a strong, comforting warmth. Mari made another small noise in her sleep as she rolled over, nestling into the warmth, her face pressing against his bare chest, and her arms wrapping around her torso, Mari shuffled around before drawing in a long breath and giving a low exhale - falling silent and still again.

Mari slept, her first peaceful sleep since loosing her daughter, it was as though that warmth zapped away all her negativity and concerns. Any and all doubts that had clouded her mind. She slept soundly, for what could have been a few hours - every so often she'd give a small whimper or mumble. Eyes dancing beneath closed lids as she dreamt of dreams unknown to any but her; the only indication of who or what she dreamt about were the soft words she uttered in her sleep, names and places.

"Evelyn....mama will mrmmm you to schoo-*snore*..."

"Alkor....mrrmmm..."

At the mention of his name Mari's head shifted, her head nuzzling into the gap between his neck and shoulder - lips pressing against the bare skin of his nape as she gave a light snore.

Though he no longer slept, Alkor took some great solace in the fact that Mari could. She had seemed on edge, erratic, and quite probably her mind raced to the edge of insanity with each waking moment. It was good for anyone to rest, but he felt that this was the medicine that the woman needed most of all.

He held her gently, and as her arms took his body to hers, Alkor smiled. He listened to her talk in her dreams to her daughter, and in his mind, the boy hopes she had made some peace with the things she had done, even if by accident. Of course it was always going to be hard to live with. Of course she would replay it often- how would he have felt to strike down his grandmother, the sole person he had to go back to on the other side, in the Hell that was SAO? He dared not think such thoughts.

Alkor truly respected that Mari had held together this long, especially as more lives seemed to fall on her blade. She never asked for this. She never asked for any of it. In many ways, she was a far stronger person than he would ever hope to be.

Duty? Perhaps it would hold him over until the game was won. Purpose? It kept him going forward, but did it define him? Did it even begin to fill him with meaning? Alkor sighed and stared at the blackness behind the soft bodied woman clinging to him in restful sleep. His hands crawled up her back as tears filled his eyes, and Alkor- alone with his thoughts- wept for the creature he had become.

Then, Mari kissed his neck.

It was a gentle, sleeping kiss, but she had said his name. Six shades of red painted Alkor's face as she buried her head so close to his neck. He thought of shoving her away, but she would never know. She would never remember she had done it. Perhaps she had not meant to, or she had not been thinking the things be thought she thought. Bah. Dreams.

Who could claim to know the mind of another?

Alkor held her and closed his teary eyes, sighing softly. "I wish it were so easy," he muttered to himself. "I'd just stay here forever, wrapped up in someone who truly cares..."

Her dreams were rampant and fleeting; she dreamt of a world and a life she'd never know - taking her daughter Evelyn to school, watching her in a musical, cooking tea for an unknown other as she drew vibrant drawings on the kitchen table. Such a simple, carefree life she would never know. Her dreams twisted into her daughter screaming in pain; bleeding at her own hands. It was a nightmare she could never escape from - and it was why she never slept. Mari had been more irritable toward others lately, fatigue did that to a person.

Then, there was that warmth again; that undeniably comforting presence that seemed to alliveate all woe and dread from her spirit. Mari dreamt that this warmth enveloped her, wrapping itself around her small frame. It acted as a sponge - seeping away the darkness and mania from her mind.

Blue eyes fluttered open, weary - half asleep. Where was she? She was somewhere dark? Yet...warm. "Mmm?" She gave a small mumble, that scent - it was familiar but in her semi conscious state she could not pick it's origin.

"I'd just stay here forever, wrapped up in someone who truly cares..." 

His words were quiet, and Mari could feel an embrace she wasn't aware of tighten around her. Mari blinked her eyes open now, feeling her lashes flutter against bare skin. Mari held her breath - just how close was she to him? What had happened? Mari was now all to aware of her surroundings, and was not sure how to act. Should she push him away? Apologize? She did not mean to writhe her way this close into his personal space. Mari was about to pull away but she felt a wetness drip onto the back of her neck. It caused her to pause her movements, taking his words in.  What did they mean? Was there a reason to analyse them so harshly? 

Was it really so easy - Mari wanted to say that she cared - that it hurt her to feel him cry - that it made her feel happy to see him expose himself in such a way to her - but the words were caught up in her mouth, they were simple words to say but she found it near impossible to outright admit it. Instead, she sighed, closing her eyes for a moment before opening them again.

"You have that now, forever is just being greedy."

"Ah," he mouthed, barely above a whisper. He'd been caught. In his moment of greatest weakness, when the mask had come off and Alkor had broken, Mari had seen everything. Firm but delicate, his hands caressed the small of her back, and he pulled his head back to face his shame head on. When his eyes found hers, they were swollen and stained with tears. "Looks like you've found me out," he managed to murmur, clearly uncertain of how to put any of this sentiment to words.

Thom had never been an emotive youth; even in his adolescent years, he had been well displaced from the rest of society, and his entire time in SAO thus far had been spent readily avoiding other players. Mari was the first player who had, if only by accent, pierced that veil and formed a friendship with him. Whatever feelings had budded beyond that, though he could not explain them, we're etched in stone on his face.

It was a rare day when Alkor showed anything, save perhaps anger or resolve toward destroying a boss utterly and entirely. Every thing he did before this had a rehearsed purpose and inherent understanding devoted to it. Nothing was wasted.

Now, in tears, Alkor had no good answers to offer the girl. She could tease and torment him relentlessly, but he had no words to riposte her sharp wit. Shaking, his hand found her cheek gently, and he brushed over it in deep thought. He could see her plainly, but he wanted to remember her face in a deeper way- something that would persist time. Wrinkles could twist her features or age could steal her away, but in his memories, she would remain this way forever.

"Greed is relative," he said at last. "A wise woman once told me, everyone is selfish."

Busted. That was the tone of voice he held as he simply acknowledged her words with a sound of affirmation, yet he didn't pull away. Nor did he push the girl aside. Instead he, in a surprisingly affectionate action had began to rub her back, Mari shifted her gaze to his when he pulled away; just enough to stare into her eyes. His golden eyes were puffy, and bloodshot. He had been crying. Without even thinking about it; Mari reached out to have her thumb lightly wipe any tears away.

Alkors hand seemed to shake as he found her cheek, callused hands; marks of a hard worker; a fighter focused on freeing himself and others from the prison that was SAO, Mari leaned into his palm closing her eyes. Enjoying the action for all that it was worth. Words and feelings that Alkor couldn't express or show; the reciprocation that Mari so desperately wanted to give but was at a loss for how, until he uttered that greed was relative. Mari slowly opened her eyes, shimmering blue meeting a tear stained gold. The Colour of the sunset, and the colour of the sunrise; glorious yellow orbs oozing a warmth and kindness that Mari wasn't sure she had ever really seen.

"Selfish huh..." Mari whispered as her hand found his cheek, grazing past it to his neck as she lifted herself closer; shutting her eyes Mari thought about kissing him. Would that be selfish? Her lips almost grazed his; but she hesitated. How many people had just planted their lips on hers without asking? She was about to do the same to Alkor - was that fair to him?

He saw it before it had time to sneak up on him. His eyes watched her lips, trepidation tearing through him at the thought he might be bad at the act. He had never kissed a woman- well, aside from once accidentally, but that didn't count. There was no actual kissing involved- theirs lips had simply touched. Could it be that was all it took? Alkor gulped down all of those inane thoughts, and in a single instant, took the plunge.

Halfway she had come, and he met her the other half. Their lips pressed gently together and Alkor's eyes melted backward in their sockets, lids rolling shut. He let the moment sweep him away, and his worries dissolved for the few heartbeats it was destined to last.

Once, a friend had joked that if he were ever kissed, he ought not forget to breathe through his nose. Alkor would later recall this instance and understand that sage advice all too well. When he peeled slowly away from the gentle girl's tender, luscious mouth, his eyes creaked open slowly like an ancient wooden door. They flickered to reveal his gaze centered on hers, and Alkor let out a ragged breath that evidenced his inexperience.

His cheeks remained rosy in color, but that hue could no longer be attributed to tears. Tattered breaths slowed over time back to normalcy, but his heartbeat remained slightly higher. His HUD displayed an increased response, and worried that the NerveGear might try to automatically shut down and thus end his life. Had his character become afflicted with some strange, unknown debuff?

What was this sensation?

"mmf!" Mari made the sound, honestly shocked that Alkor had breached that gap between them. Sure, the two had kissed - for a second once before but it was forced by the very, very drunk hand of Life. This was far different from that, far different from the stolen kisses from Daeron and Zero. Mari couldn't pick nor understand why - it was only a kiss. Such a simple action, lips pressed against lips. Yet there was such a ferocity behind it, a turbulent wind of emotions that was constantly stirring between the two, and it was as though with that one seemingly effortless action had settled any unspoken emotions.

The action itself must have only lasted seconds, a minute at most but - as cliche'd as it sounded it felt slower than that. Pent up frustrations and agony that Mari had felt was drained away by his soft lips, the smell of his breath on her face. Her grip around him tightened as she pressed herself deeper into the kiss, lips parting slightly as she drew in a small breath. fingers entwined into his hair - affectionately scratching at the back of his head. Mari could feel her heart pounding against her chest, and as Alkor finally pulled away she noticed that her lip was quivering, and her body was quivering.

Alkor slowly opened his eyes and he looks just as confused as she felt. Mari blinked, and could feel droplets hit her cheek, then slide down to her chin, crying...?

Why wouldn't her tears stop? And why was her heart beating so fast?

Why was she allowing herself to get so close to this man? How was he able to penetrate her defences with nothing more than his golden eyes? His empowering presence - and his stalwart soul. Mari wanted to say something, she didn't want a silence to fall between them this time, she wanted him to talk - to hear his voice. Mari gave him a smile, removing her hand from his hair she allowed the back of it to brush against his cheeks - "golden with hues of red, just  like the sunset." She murmured - the words sounded stupid and she almost immediately regretted saying them the moment they fell from her lips. Way to ruin the moment. 

Alkor cradled Mari's head to his chest as she bawled. "Hey, hey... it's alright... shhh..." How such words came to him baffled Alkor; his grandmother may have uttered them while holding him once, but that would have been long ago. She felt light in his arms, body shivering with each sob that rocked her. "It's alright... ah..." Alkor realized he hadn't learned her real name. He supposed it wasn't important, or that it might be an insensitive question to ask. He didn't want to worsen her tears.

"Thom," he whispered, almost inaudibly. "Thom," he spoke again, this time louder with more clarity. "My name. It's Thom."

He held her body close and planted his lips gently on the top of her head, face buried in her messy pink hair. All of his reservations about tears melted away as his worries turned to ensuring that Mari was going to be alright. When she spoke again, her words struck him as odd.

She stroked his face and he watched her thoughtfully, then smirked. "How do I respond to that?" He asked her mischievously.

Mari gave a soft laugh, a relieved laugh that started out low - almost inaudible before her body shook with it. She was relieved; she wasn't sure why she had been crying; or why her heart was still beating hard and fast against her chest, but she was able to deduce that she cared greatly for Alkor, and  for reasons unknown to her; he seemed to care for her in some way too. Enough to allow her to grow close to him, enough for him to fall asleep in her lap.

And enough for him to tell her his name.

"Amari." She said, pulling away just enough so she could look into his eyes; read his normally hardened facial features, which were now softened with a concern Mari never expected to have directed at her. Mari had tears staining her face, her pink hair dishevelled, eyes puffy from her recent tears, but she didn't care. "Amari Olfsden-Pleasure to meet you Thom." 

Alkor smirked. Once dark golden eyes now lit up with a mischievous light; as he questioned how he was supposed to respond. Mari grinned - leaning forward to plant a light kiss on his lips before pulling away, feeling far better than she had when she first arrived. "Amari and Thom's first kiss." She commented playfully.

Mari took a deep breath and sighed. "Alk-ah..Thom - when I first came here, I ran through what would occur in my mind." Mari leant against Alkor, nestling her head into his shoulder as she continued. "I thought about how you may be angry; may push me away. heh...the possibility of a slap or even a slash with your weapon came to mind, but not this. This is new for me. I don't -" She trailed off, she had been married before - she had relations, she had a kid, affectionate behaviour wasn't exactly a new thing for her - she wouldn't say it, but her marriage was a very manipulative one; and her ex rarely gave her any form of positive companionship.

"I don't know what to expect or how to react with you."

"Expectation breeds monotony, I've heard," he mused softly, eyes fleeting away from hers. The reality was, everything that was happening, everything they were saying, and everything he was feeling was new. To his character, and to Thom himself. He wished he could console Amari a bit better than some cheap one liner that sounded oddly like it belonged in a fortune cookie, but it was the best he could conjure with his mind as fuzzy as it was. Heat still burned beneath his skin as the blush tore further through his body.

The NerveGear allowed emotions to bled back and forth into the mind in a way that was wholly real. Things he touched, pain he experienced in his mind, the way he felt- all of it was created and stored in his mind. He was alive in this world just the same as in the real one. Amari was the first human being he had shared any form of intimacy with, and it grew like a dagger in his heart. The pain was irregular, like a shiver that rippled through to flesh and consumed his spirit, taking bites out of his being.

He exhaled again, but this time, he stared deep into limpid seas of cerulean. "New for both of us, I suppose," he corrected. "I'm not good with people. I'm even worse with girl people. You probably noticed that."

Reaching up, Alkor scratched his head and strained for the words. "Just... be yourself," he said. "I don't have any five dollar words for that."