PP-F4 'A Flurry of Snow' [Ryu]

Mari always came back to this floor; she loved the cold. She loved the numbing sensation of the snow, the way the icicles hung from the trees, how the floor was covered in a pure white blanket, covering any stains – any misdemeanors. Mari had been fighting a lot lately, attempting to gain levels. It was a slow process – as she didn’t particularly like the 9th floor and its volcanoes. Mari had just finished fighting a pack of wolves, she was now sitting against a tree – tuning her violin.

A splash of cotton candy pink amidst the white snow – angry orange icon dancing above her head; she stuck out like a sore thumb but she didn’t care.  Right now she just wanted a moments reprise. She hummed softly to herself, simply passing the time enjoying the quiet solitude of the floor.

I stood behind the tree she rested upon. What a lovely sound, the violin made, even if she was still tuning it. 

The third string is wrong...its a half step too low and that could throw of the entire tuning of the violin. i spoke suddenly moving out from behind the tree and standing next to her.

Her icon was orange, but it didnt bother me, what really got me was the cute pink haired girl sitting in the snow all by her lonesome. The area we were in was cold, and getting colder by the minute and the snow was getting thicker. If we didnt find shelter soon, we might be stuck inside the snow storm for the entire night.

Maybe you should wait...i know im a stranger to you at this point, but if we dont move soon, the Abominable Snowman will be after us soon and we cant really fight in adverse weather conditions. Follow me, i think there is a cave nearby we can hid out in, at least until this passes. I stuck my hand out to her hoping she would at least listen to me, even though she didnt know me, but knowing we would be sitting ducks in the storm, there was very little time for her to choose.

Mari grumbled, not bothering to look at the person who spoke. "That's why I'm tuning it dipsh*t."  She muttered under her breath, whoever it was had stepped out from behind the tree and stood next to her. She shot him a dark look. "Beaten it once, can beat it again." She said with a shrug. Mari had been on this floor a good 80% of her time in Aincrad. "I'd rather finish what I'm doing - and you're right. you are a stranger, I know this area. It'd take a good 5 minutes to get to that cave. You think I'm going to go with you? When I don't even know your name?" Mari scoffed as she went back to her tuning.

• 5 weeks later...

I retracted my hand as the dusting began to sprinkle over us. Too late, the snow was here and so were the monsters on the approach. The snow began to whip up into a flurry practically blinding to anyone in it.

I mean...i guess i can tell you my name...if the Snowmen dont get us first. I said as three or four red cursors began to surround us.

I drew my katana from my side and prepared for the fight ahead knowing that the snowmen had some sort of advantage because they could endlessly spawn as long as this storm kept blowing.

Well this is a perfect way to spend a nice day on my favorite floor...i lied...i hate today.

I lunged at a snowman hoping to get something out of it.

Dice ID #6310

Roll 4 (+2 acc with gauntlets) = 6 hit, 10 damage (1 base + 5 from Skills + 1 from Athletics + 3 from weapon)

Mari 49/49

Ryu 66/66 (+5 from athletics) (29*2 = 58 + 3 = 61 + 5 = 66)

Snow man 1 10/20

Snow man 2 20/20

Snow man 3 20/20

Mari tilted her head, turning on her heel as three snowmen began to approach them. They were low levelled - and had low health. Mari wouldn't be able to get any drops from them. She gave a heavy sigh. That was....no good. No good at all. Mari was used to the cold, the flurry of snowfall didn't bother her. The ambush didn't even bother her. It was the fact that she'd be going through all this, and barely making a dent in her experience.

"What level are you?" Mari asked the man, noting that he had drawn a Katana. The Katana was a rare weapon - one had to specially acquire it; and have achieved a high skill rank in one handed curved sword mastery. So he had to be a decent level. One of the snowmen lunged at her but Mari deftly avoided it as though it were nothing. Mari quickly rammed the knife into the snowmans back as it missed it's lunge attack. It exploded.

One down, two to go.

Battle Dice: 9 - CRITICAL

10 Damage
Mob Dice: 6-3 = FAIL

Mari 59/49

Ryu 66/66

Snow man 1 DEAD

Snow man 2 20/20

Snow man 3 20/20

The Snowmen looked at each other, as their friend exploded. They glared evil at us before 6 more came out of no where and they began to fuse in the middle of the snow storm. They became something that looked like the Avalanche but with legs and two massive arms.

How about we try to get to know each other after this thing diesi said almost monotonically this time trying to focus my next set of attacks on a creature that should not exist.

• Rolled a 10 on the d10 (battle) dice. Heavy Critical (3 base damage + 1 athletics = 4 + 5 (skills) 9 + 3 (weapon) = 12)
  • Rolled a 1 on the d10 (mob) dice. (critical miss)

I speedily charged at the monster running between its legs and cutting deep into the ice knee cap it had on its body. I had just forced it to collide with the ground and allowed the knife user to attack easier. The snow monster tried to throw a punch but as i watched it collapse to the ground it gave up on trying to hit me in that instance.

Maybe this will get you what you want....ice weapons arent worth anything at all but the artifacts are worth it, if it drops materials that is.

Ryu 66/66

Mari 59/59 (my apologizes i didnt see your stats and forgot about it all together)

Snow Monster 53/75

Mari didn't want to get to know this man; she didn't like talking about her personal life - nor did she like opening up to strangers. It was incredibly difficult to push past Mari's stubbornness and cold exterior and this Ryu character had barely even scratched the surface. "How about you shut up and focus?" Mari hissed back in response to his innocent question. 

The snowmen had converged, melting into one icy mass of anger. It didn't make much sense to Mari - how two snowmen whose health totalled 40HP managed to reach 75HP after merging together. Still, she wasn't going to question the mechanics of the game too much - there were bound to be some discrepancies and glitches.

He said maybe she would get what she wanted, "Tch." How would he know what she wanted? He was a fool, a fool who refused to listen. He didn't answer her question, which irked her. Mari took her frustration out on the big snowman. Darting forward and slashing her dagger across its lower abdomen.

Battle Dice: 5 + 3 = SUCCESS!

Ryu 66/66

Mari 59/59 

Snow Monster 44/75

So she's decided to be a bitch to me after ive done nothing but try to focus. I see how it is, but the only thing i was concerned about right now was destroying this snowman. I raised my katana to striking level and charged after the pink haired girl, leaping over her head and slashing straight down the Snowmans body and landing just in front of her.

• Rolled a 8 on the d10 (battle) dice.  1 (base) + 5 (skill) +3 (weapon) +1 (ATH) = 10 damage
  • Rolled a 8 on the d10 (mob) dice.  8 (base) - 3 (skill) - 2 (Armor) = 3 damage. -1 HP (thorns)

The gigantic snowman aimed its fist at the pink haired but out of sheer stupidity (at least in my own mind at this point) I jumped at her, tackling her to the ground and taking the punch in my back sending a wave of chills up my spine. Landing on top of her was NOT how i wanted my day to go. 

My apologizes, i didnt mean for this to happen. I say removing my hand from where it shouldnt have been...

I do believe i am stuck...I say trying to move my leg but cant feel it move at all...its as if i was frozen to the ground by ice. Great, on top of a strange woman and now STUCK on top of her...well today isnt my day i guess.

Ryu 63/66 - incapacitated (partially frozen) (i know that frozen is an actual status but im doing this for more of a roleplaying purpose, knowing that you are a GM and all, didnt wanna get lectured later for a detail i didnt describe well enough).

Mari 59/59 

Snow Monster 33/75 

"God dammit." Mari muttered as he pushed her onto her stomach. trapping her underneath him. Did he have to be any more incompetent?  Sure he may have just pushed her out of harms way, but she wasn't weak. She would have taken the strike head on. She didn't say anything to his apology, but she also didn't offer him any snide remark or insult. That was as good as any sort of thanks he'd get from her at this time.

Then he mentioned he was stuck, Mari sighed, using her hands to dig out the snow from underneath her so she was able to slide up and out from underneath him. She muttered the word 'idiot' under her breath, but it wasn't just aimed at him, Mari was calling herself one for allowing such a thing to happen in the first place.

She charged at the giant snowman, and ran her dagger along its abdomen again before rolling back to stand beside the semi-frozen boy next to her. 

Battle Dice: 4+3=7 SUCCESS!

Ryu 63/66 - frozen 1/1 turn 

Mari 59/59 

Snow Monster 24/75 

I looked up hearing her mutter to herself. I forced myself to at least stand with an iced foot that slowly began to melt with time. I raised my sword with the monster being close enough to me but i couldnt swing. The game no longer let me since i was frozen.

Look miss, stay safe please...i dont think you are weak, but i dont want you getting hurt on my watch. I understand you can take care of yourself and i seem to only be a nuisance to you. My name is Ryu and im level 29 and all i wanted was to try and make a friend out here. Im sorry i brought this upon you and im expecting you to just leave after this. i yelled to her hoping my words dont fall on deaf ears

The gigantic snowman slammed its fist into the ground just next to my face. Seems the dagger wielding chick completely knocked it off guard.

Mari heard his words, she would perhaps discuss them later; but now? Right now. She was focused on killing the giant snowman. The snowfall around them began to lighten, and Mari wondered if the sudden storm was due to the approaching mobs. The snowman slammed its fist into the ground toward the man Mari now knew was named Ryu.

"Mari."

She said simply, it was her only reply to him, her only acknowledgement that she had heard his words, Mari darted around the side of the snow man, so she was now behind it. Since she would be the only one attacking it this turn - she'd be able to distract it from Ryu who was still frozen. She used a nearby boulder to propel herself onto the snowmans back, she rammed the dagger between its shoulder blades. Or at least where the shoulder blades would be. Mari pushed her feet hard into its back. Lodging herself there.

Battle Dice: 8 + 3 =11 SUCCESS!

Ryu 63/66 

Mari 59/59 

Snow Monster 15/75 

My leg was no longer frozen, as i grabbed my katana and rushed at the monster at a speed unlike im used to. As i ran towards the monster, it attempted to strike towards me. I was able to completely avoid the fist as i dove between its legs and jumped onto its back and with a spinning motion i cut into its back freeing the girl known as Mari. I sheathed my katana and caught Mari in my arms and slowly put her down and offering her the last attack silently.

• Rolled a 10 on the d10 (battle) dice. (12 damage)
  • Rolled a 1 on the d10 (mob) dice. (missed)

Ryu 63/66 

Mari 59/59 

Snow Monster 3/75 

"Whoa -what!" Mari exclaimed in shock as she felt herself fall down. Only to be caught by Ryu who allowed her to quickly correct herself to a standing position.
Mari gave him an annoyed look, she was intending to stay lodged in its back. Hoping to then flip up and hack off the damn things head. Yet, he seemed to think she was stuck. Mari gave a small sigh. It was an honest mistake and she couldn't fault him for it. Mari didn't get the big finish she wanted.

She, with less vigor struck the snowman in the side, and it shattered. Leaving nothing behind. Mari sighed. "All that and no loot." She mumbled, at least there was a single Material to gain from it.

Battle Dice: 4 +3=7 SUCCESS
Loot Dice: 7 NO LOOT
+1 Material

Ryu 63/66 

Mari 59/59 

Snow Monster DEAD

I shrugged my shoulders at the lack of loot but it wasnt a big deal to me. 

What kind of item were you looking for anyway? I said trying to sound nice as i skimmed through my inventory looking for ice related items.

Hmmm....Ice Metal sounds like a great weapon crafting item... I continued to scan my inventory the i looked at my cotton candy haired friend. So....why did you want to know my level Miss, Mari?

"Nothing in particular." Mari said as she turned to Ryu. "I don't like wasting my time. If I don't get something from it why bother?" Mari gave him a questioning look as he seemed to mention some sort of ice metal, and crafting. Perhaps he thought she was looking for better equipment. Mari was satisfied with what she had. Once she worked on her armour skill, she'd replace her damage mitigation with something else. Mari even carried around two daggers with her at all times. One with two damage and frozen touch, a fancy way of paralysing someone, and the other with 3 damage.

"eh?" Mari almost missed the question. "Your level? Ah...was wondering if you were one of those new players - as in someone only just venturing out the starter town. Yet you're a higher level than me." Mari shrugged. "Knowing someone's level generally shows how much experience they have outside of towns. To me, it doesn't really say anything about their strength." 

I see...I said shyly to Mari as i tried to figure out what to say.

Well....im not strong...nor do i venture very far from my homes, meaning ive been no higher that floor 6. I continued to speak shyly as i sheathed my katana and noticed the snow had died down, plus my health had regenerated. 

So...uh...where...where did you plan on going now? I asked hoping she might take me with her.

Mari noted that he seemed to turn real shy and withdrawn, real quick. "eh?" Mari said, picking up on the behaivoural change. "You were all ready to take charge during that fight and sudden snowstorm - what's changed?" She asked.  

"You can't be that weak." Mari said as she motioned toward his Katana. "That weapon, you need to train up in your Curved Sword rank before getting it - then when that is ranked high enough you start all over with a Katana. So to do the damage you do - with that weapon. You seem to be doing pretty well. "

Mari shrugged when he asked where she was going. "Who knows. Perhaps to a Floor that isn't as damp; I might eat something. Why?"

Im sorry....girls in general make me a little....shy....its been a problem for a long time and i apologize. I said shyly and apologetically.

Im strong based on the games stats and the items i carry but inside...im not that strong, not as much as it would seem. i explained to her.

Would uh....would you mind if i joined you...if thats not too much to ask...? i asked trying to be bold but also being shy and contradicting my own personality 

"Girls?" Mari asked, raising an eyebrow. How old was he? Most of the older people she met didn't have an issue with women or anyone of the female gender.  There was Alkor...but he didn't get close to anyone. "How young do you think I am?" Mari asked, as she brushed herself off. Shaking more snow off her form. "At least you're smart enough to admit that numbers and levels aren't everything. Got a decent head on ya."

Then, he asked a question Mari was not expecting. He wanted to...join her? "What?" She was taken aback, no one had abruptly asked that of her before. She sighed. "If you can keep up." She said, turning on her heel to head toward the teleportation pad that sat outside the safe zone. 

I shook my head at her. Clearly it didnt matter my age, nor did it matter how old she was because she clearly would never understand where i was coming from in the department dealing with women at all.

I dont try to guess a womans age, like weight i find it extremely rude to ask but thats because i was raised to be more of a gentleman, given the only reason why i "saved you" from the snow mand and let you have the last strike. I would normally have played the assassin rogue character in this game WHICH i still have the potential to play seeing as i have all of the items to do it, but my stats no longer fit the need to play like that. Instead I have chosen a route less traveled on by most players and chose the heroic samurai with a tiny amount of self healing in there somewhere.

I know it would seem stange of me to request to join someone as pretty as you after just meeting you and not knowing jack squat about you or women in general, but i dont have a lot of friends in this game...at least ones that are still alive and or that like to keep in contact with me at all. I can most certainly keep up as long as you are willing to keep my company even if its to pity party me to the next town and then dump me in an alley to fend for myself for the rest of the game like most payers i meet,