[OP-F3] Blackout

Sunlight poured through the cracks in the forest. Overgrowth and thick vines coalesced like a rooftop that seemed to stretch outward in every direction for miles; Alkor silently noted that there were only so many paths that one could follow through the woods, given that there was obstructing flora virtually everywhere else.

Creeping noises suggested danger every so often, but the higher leveled player paid it almost no mind. There were elven NPCs patrolling in the forest that- so long as you didn't attack them or other players- made sure that the way was safe. At least, until one traversed too deep into the forest, and they found its darker side.

Labyrinthine was the adjective that came to mind when Alkor thought of the twists and turns that led to the heart of the forest. At its heart was rumored to rest a place of absolute beauty and serenity- so the Information Dealers claimed.

So far, Alkor had heard only horror stories about mobs terrifyingly strong, and Player Killers who decided that this area was perfect for their dark deeds. Both threats posed a challenge to the golden eyed swordsman, who was more than willing to face any challenge that lay ahead.

The pseudo-safe zone that had been built up within the forest was an outpost called the Lookout, a ragtag mess of planks, rope ladders, and platforms that sat in a copse of trees and offered a slight vantage point in every direction. It wasn't well equipped, and truth be told, would not save you from being attacked if someone were to jump at you. There were NPC guards, though, which alleviated some of the threat. In this forest, the further in you went, the less safe you were.

Alkor glanced at his minimap. "The heart of the forest, huh?" He'd never traveled very far in, but this sounded like a perfect chance to go on an adventure. "Well, I guess I should go find it."

I found myself on Floor 3, once again admiring the dense growth of dandelions around me. They were so pure but every so often I would amuse myself with picking ones that didn't quite fit in. The flowers were almost never tarnished by the other players or NPCs currently occupying this town so they looked pretty in contrast to the harsh features around it. I sighed and thought of what I really needed to do today, go to the forest. Apparently there were many rumors of horrid events in the center of the forest.

I made my way past the town and into the forest. The deeper I went into the woods, the darker it got. The forest would become pitch black at night in a few hours so I had to either be quick or spend this night and most likely kill someone. A memory of being in the dark filled my mind. Arekkusu and I were in the dark for most of the night and could barely see as we fought a giant bird. I stepped on every single stick and went through trees, if I made a lot of sound then whatever was out here would find me; and that's just what I wanted. I chuckled and continued to go farther into the forest. 

Suddenly I heard a loud crack from under my foot. I just stepped on a twig. Surely something heard me. I smiled to myself and stood still. It wasn't smart to run away now, if I did then nothing would be curious about the sounds made by me. I wanted to just make a loud ruckus and attract unwanted visitors after all. 

Alkor returned the curt nod when he passed an Elf Sentinel, and decided that the shadowy Grove ahead of him was probably where the forest started to descend into madness. If that were the case, from here on out, there would be no room for mistakes. He opened his menu and made sure that he hadn't somehow contracted a strange ailment (it never happened at random, but one could never be too safe, right?) and that all of his HP was intact. Satisfied, he began to walk again.

The distinct scent of lilies wafted across his senses; he knew it was lilies because they had been one of his grandmother's favorite scents. He was unsure of what it meant, but it certainly did not make him feel safer. Alert now, Alkor skimmed his HUD for any sign of a threat.

Several moments of crouching and silently listening later, Alkor took a deep breath and sighed. He had to remind himself that there could be anything in the darkness, and unlikely as that seemed, that included the possibility of flowers.

In the next moment, when he stepped beyond the grove, he realized that flowers were not as unlikely as he had originally hypothesized. An expansive, almost garden-like area covered in lilies stretched out toward the fringes of the forest, disappearing between trees and under the cover of darkness. He thought to touch one, then decided against it. "Some things are best admired from afar," he muttered.

That was when he heard it. 'Crunch! Crackle! Gnash! Crack!' Alkor spun round and his gaze locked on the cursor of another, markedly female player. He blinked. "I've seen her before," he thought aloud, though he was uncertain of where, or what the circumstances were.

Alkor tilted his head. "Lost?" The youth asked, a hand ever present on the scabbard of his blade. Anyone could attack a player with an orange cursor, and he was well aware of that fact. Alkor never hid his willingness to fight, though he also never showed hostility unjustly. He had no intention of fighting this girl. "That way leads toward the center of the forest," he told her, pointing in the direction of his destination.

An evil grin tugged at the corner of my lips as I heard someone approach me. I turned around with eyes of cold judgement. I looked at the player in front of me with a glare, he wasn't who I hoped I would see. Though he was a PKer I thought it would be someone more...daunting. Though he did interest me with how and who he killed I didn't show it in my facial expression. 

Of course I'm not lost. In fact, I was just heading towards the center of the forest to see if I could attract something scary. I nodded my chin towards the hand precautiously on his blade and stared, flipping the dagger I had in my hand the whole time. If you intend to be hostile then I would advise you not to. I was hoping to get to the darker parts of the forest before I killed something. From the outside the young man looked normal but I knew that he was strong. Same as me, he looked normal, weak even but had a dark aroma surrounding him. He had the same strength wavering off of him but there was also something else. Now even more curious with the boy I continued to flip the dagger in the air. 

"Then by all means," Alkor replied, gesturing that he wasn't going to stop her. "Kill whatever you want. Far be it for me to stop you." Her words were acerbic, intent like daggers on cutting at their victims. Alkor knew that type all too well. Those kinds of people were the ones he least got along with. Her expression belied even more of that personality. She enjoyed playing those little games. This girl was looking for something dangerous, and Alkor wanted to evade being categorized with such things- if he could help it.

He'd ignored her warning about hostility; if Alkor had meant to attack her, he would have just done so. She'd have pieced as much together by now. He resumed his own walk toward the forest's core, letting his stride close up the conversation for him. Moments later, if she spoke, it would be to his back.

Truthfully, Alkor had seen enough player violence that, if it could be helped, he'd never be involved with another player death again. Defending himself was different, and that was something he minded far less. Her veiled threat had not gone over his head. His hand never left the sheath.

There were scarier things than monsters in Sword Art Online. Aincrad was full of sinister and dark things, just waiting for someone to stumble over them. "If you're going this way anyway," Alkor called back over his shoulder, "you might as well come along. I'm not going to leave much for you to kill behind me."

(Ugh so short and undescriptive...)

His response was calm, cool, and collected. I smiled genuinely at him for not being a complete idiot. Some players I had met before totally fell for that or even tried to fight me. Usually losing of course. I already knew that he wasn't going to attack me, he was just like Arek and probably trying to ward me off from being so rude. He was more mature than me in a sense, and I could tell that he was in age too but just by a little. 

I caught the dagger in mid air and caught up to walk beside him. It would be the same the other way around. I think I have seen you before but I'm not sure, you seem familiar...His lack of conversation interested me too, would he even tell me about his killings? The world around me was a flash of white flowers with pink splotches and smears on them. They were imperfect and that's what I liked about them. 

Mari had somehow gotten lost; she wasn't sure how - she was simply trying to get away from a group of players who were harassing her and egging her on. Trying to get her to attack them. "Ruthless idiotic d*ckheads..." Mari muttered under her breath as she stomped through the overgrowth. Was this sort of thing even normal for the third floor?

"Get the f**k out of my way!" Mari shouted at a large overhanging vine which had gotten in her way. She wasn't in the best of moods. She couldn't understand how players; especially low levelled ones wanted to rile her up. Mari wasn't always good at hiding her emotions - especially when it came to her annoyance and anger. She could hear voices, muffled as they were - and one sounded particularly familiar but Mari was either too far, or in too thick of a regrowth to discern where they were or who they were. She toussled her pink hair with her hands in frustration. "Ughhh..." She was so lost.

She hurriedly found her way to his side and stowed away her weapon, and Alkor glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. She was a strange girl, but her demeanor had seemed to go from completely cold to intrigued in a matter of moments. Perhaps that attitude she'd met him with was more of a defense mechanism? Alkor let his gaze melt back to the path ahead as he considered her words.

It was not abnormal for some players to feel a need to bolster their own ego with talk. It seemed more and more common, especially with the more competitive people he met. Of course, that was relative. He couldn't say whether or not this girl was competitive; they'd only been walking together for a matter of moments.

His eyes trailed along the flowers, stained by flecks of stray sunlight that vainly tried to piece the forest's canopy. There were still inklings of light breaking through, so visibility had not dropped completely. He expected that at some point before making their destination. "Perhaps," he admitted. "I've been involved with boss fights and such, recently."

Even at those highly social events, Alkor was reclusive. He tried more and more to fade to black as circumstance painted him with disinterest in the rest of society. In the distance, he made out silhouettes of motion, though it was impossible to tell if they were a threat from this distance.

Alkor knelt down for a moment and plucked a lone, pink blossom from the ground. As he stood back up, he tilted his head and glanced over the object. "I have a feeling," he murmured, "that the secret at the end of this maze is going to be worthwhile."

His eyes snapped up when he heard yelling in the distance, and he glanced around, alert. It was a distinctly feminine, and evidently distressed voice. "Huh," he blurted absently. "That's... odd."

I snapped my fingers and nodded slowly. I remember you, You were standing alone in the back. I didn't hear an introduction but I think your name is Alkor. I don't give my name so often so don't ask. I said and watched him as he picked a flower from the ground. He was peculiar with the actions he took. This man was definitely something else. He seemed bored but also full of thoughts, too confusing.  

From the distance I heard another something or someone swearing rather loudly, perhaps another player? Curious, I looked around but saw nothing until I heard the man speak. Maze? What maze... I followed the man's gaze to see the outline of another player. I grabbed the dagger I put away and raised it into the air. I narrowed my eyes and slowly made my way over to the unaware player who seemed to be lost. 

The voices grew closer and so Mari decided to go toward them, were they the players who were harassing her earlier? If they were Mari would kick them hard - maybe instigate some sort of battle with them but she'd refuse to actually kill them like they so sorely seemed to want her to try and do.  "Fine, you little sh*ts..." Mari mumbled as she stumbled toward the voices, they wanted a fight they could damn well have one.

Mari had to pull out her dagger to clear away a curtain of vines, and as they dropped to the floor she came face to face with the last person she expected to see here, Mari's anger turned to confusion as she stared at him, pink blossom in hand - standing beside the girl Mari knew to be Kiru - only due to the words along the grape vine. 

"Alkor?" She asked, clearly baffled at his sudden appearance. The two seemed to have a habit of bumping into each other.

Whoever the girl was, she headed toward the sound of the frustrated female voice. All or watched the blossom in his hand waver as if touched by frigid fingers and begin to dance as the breeze took it. Alkor did not fight as it was blown from his clutches, instead letting the small flower enjoy freedom before its life flowed away.

When he turned to see where his enigmatic companion had gone, he saw Mari. "Mari." He stated her name clearly, but with a flicker of doubt in his voice. Had she followed him here? He had to doubt it- she seemed as surprised as he was about this turn of events.

"Following Information Dealer rumors, too?" He asked. He'd detected some measure of conflict in the girl, but to what end, he was uncertain. If she asked him something, he'd give her an answer. She would know by now that he was not a duplicitous person.

He half hoped the two toned hair girl wouldn't do anything dangerous. He didn't want to have to fight anyone else. Just monsters.

Celes had fallen asleep in a tree. Hidden from the world [stealth 10] she had decided that she needed time to thing. Think about who was truly her friend, who wasnt, and who to trust. It was the sould of voices that woke her. The jungle vines provided her with a curtain of sorts as se peered through them groggily, trying to find the source of the noise. Was someone in trouble?  Mari had gone off to hunt a bit while Celes slept, was she okay?!

The thought snapped celes awake. She slowly crept through the trees, keeping herself stealthed to avoid detection and quickly moving to find the group. She found them, Mari, kiru, and a man she had never met. 

Out of nowhere, she dropped through the trees and vines next to Mari. "Mari," she said her voice defensive, She gave Kiru a quick nod and smile "IKiru, hi. Is everything okay here?" she asked looking suspiciously at Alkor. 

Crozeph ran through the forest as if a fire is chasing him from behind with his sword pointed downward, he caught sight of a monster that may drop something good but lost track of it as soon as it blended with the forest "ahh I need to find that thing" he said. Crozeph sheathe his sword and began looking around. "There isn't much about this forest except trees and thick vines" he said pulling one in front of him. Crozeph examined the vine as he holds it in his right hand and his left hand on the hilt of his sword, danger could be anywhere "higher numbers doesn't mean I'm safe" he said. Crozeph has grown a bit stronger with his solitary wanderings for hides and ores. Crozeph dropped the vine and started scanning the area for any movement. "I will find you and I will get the loot..." Crozeph took out a bread in his inventory "...if you have any" he said before he started walking again eating his bread.

Crozeph has gone deeper to the forest, he wasn't lost and that seemed to be a miracle to him "too peaceful around here" he said as he bites off his bread. A few minutes have passed and the monster was nowhere to be found and that made Crozeph feel like a failure for a second. As he continues to walk, he heard voices, players talking but he couldn't understand he was still far. Crozeph followed the voice pushing aside vines and branches with his right hand "they might help me hunt that thing down" he thought. As Crozeph finally caught sight of the players, he saw a familiar person. "Oh it's Kiru" he said. Crozeph then started walking towards her and tried to call her "Hey Kir..." Crozeph tripped from a huge root that he didn't see making him fall face down still biting his bread. Crozeph felt it hard to get air to breathe, the fall was unexpected that he didn't have time to react. Crozeph tried to sit down and gasp for air "there was no root there a while ago..." Crozeph saw his bread shatter "...my precious bread" he said as he tried to gather the shards as it slowly disappears. 

The lost looking player turned out to be none other than Mari. It was easy to tell just by the hair color. Mari, whom I had remembered was at the raid planning, stepped out into the clearing to look at the man next to me. I looked over over to where Mari's eyes met, when the man Mari called Alkor repeated her name I felt something, possibly tension or even awkwardness. Apparently his name was Alkor. I gave Mari a confused look, why was she here and how could she be lost? Mari, the guild leader of the Cerulean Silence, was the last person I expected to become irritated and lost. I lowered my dagger and put it back into my pouch. 

Nest, almost out of nowhere, Celes came down in front of me, but she was a little more defensive towards Mari. I kept myself from laughing when the look in her eyes said it all, she didn't know the man therefore she thought he could possibly be a threat. Nothing is up except for you apparently, in the trees and all. And no nothing is okay here because nothing interesting is happening. I was going to the middle of the forest to wait for something or someone... 

To my left I heard my name. I turned to see the member of my old guild trip over a tree branch on the ground. I busted out laughing but held enough composure to not seem crazy. Hey there, stop wasting bread, your hurting it's feelings. Here. I said and grabbed a bread roll from my inventory. I handed it to him but instead of fully giving to him I took a bite out of it and smiled. 

Walking through the forest he had been lost for few hours he heard some players voices. "Finally someone ! Maybe they can help me out of this damned maze-like forest... " he said to himself as he kept walking hearing the voices louder and louder.. "But.. what if they are pk-ers...?" he asked himself as he stopped... "It would be better if i would hide around here , as its a darker place , my black-coloured should help me in some way" he said as he went hiding hoping to not be seen yet. "When i will be sure its safe i will go there..." he added ..

"Ever larger the party grows," Alkor muttered discontentedly. His gaze searched the newcomers- at least, the ones he could see-(Celes, after she made herself known, Crozeph, and Mari)- and he let out an inaudible groan. One or two people wasn't necessarily too many, but this- this could get loud. It could attract a good amount of undesirable attention.

He'd not complain over it, though. People came and went as they pleased, and the ones here were not his responsibility. No party, no accountability. That was the general rule.

Turning away as the group began to converse amongst themselves- awkwardly, but they all seemed to know at least one of the others present- Alkor headed toward his goal

Darkness, where leaves swallowed the light, greeted him as he strode forward. Mari had probably been distracted by the other player calling out to her. This would be the perfect opportunity to lose the others, though the window was quickly closing.

Something skittered through the shadows just ahead. Alkor's gaze was alert, though he wasn't sure if any of the others had heard it.

[DC 15, Loot die to hear]

Mari gave Alkor a warm smile, he had said her name - loudly and with clarity but a slight hint of doubt. Of course, that was just Alkor being Alkor. Mari shook her head at his question. "No actually. I was comforting a friend but-" She trailed off, blue eyes glancing away as she scratched her cheek. Feeling embarrassed about her predicament. "I had this group of low levelled players trying my patience - they were egging me on asking me to kill them - I tried to loose them in the forest but ended up becoming lost myself." She shrugged. "Go figure."

As though her ears were burning Celes had jumped down from the trees, startling Mari, her eyes grew wide and she stepped back, but after seeing it was Celes she gave a small sigh, "Everything is fine, got lost trying to loose a few idiotic players." Mari said, bringing an arm around to squeeze the girls shoulder. Mari hadn't noticed Celes' defensive tone or her wary eyes on Alkor.

Another player stumbled forward- Mari recognized him to be the lad that had cried when she killed Tom; beyond that she didn't know who he was; just that he seemed to have a love of bread. There were far too many people here now and Mari felt a tad awkward. She glanced over at Alkor, who seemed to feel the same way. She couldn't help but smirk as Alkor groaned, then turned away from the group. As he passed Mari she reached out, allowing her fingers to lightly graze his hand. A small sign of some form of affection. She wasn't going to follow him. He had his own reasons for being here.

Mari turned to Celes, about to say something but paused; hearing a strange sound in the bushes. The sound unnerved Mari, it set her heart pumping, was it the sudden crowd and noise? Mari grabbed Celes' hand. "Excuse us." She muttered toward the group as she took a few steps backward before Pulling Celes along; choosing to only now follow Alkor - as Mari had a hunch he knew what was going on.

"Celes did you hear that? Draw your weapon. Something is off." Mari whispered to her companion, looking ahead she could see Alkors coat tails, Mari had drawn her weapon. Her tone and gone quiet and serious. Mari was fine with facing enemies she could see, but when she didn't know what she was facing? Different story.

LD Required to hear sound 15
Loot Dice Roll: 16
SUCCESS

Crozeph took the bread Kiru gave him, it was the one of the few things he enjoyed inside the game and other than that is just plain survival and trying to be stronger than others. Crozeph then stood up still feeling the pain of his unexpected fall but he's fine now that Kiru gave him something he likes. "Thanks Kiru and don't laugh at me that's a bit rud..." Crozeph turned his eyes on the other players and saw someone really familiar. It brought back the memories he tried to forget or tried avoiding "...Mari." Crozeph will never forget the name but didn't move, he even wanted to hide on Kiru's back but he was a guy and they're suppose to stand their ground if they feel fear "stay calm Crozeph, two PKs doesn't mean you'll die" he said.

As soon as he saw the one they call Alkor walk away, Crozeph felt a bit relieved "they have their own business to do here" he said. Crozeph then saw them walk away along with the other player, all three of them "what's with the awkward feeling?" he told himself. He felt weak for a second seeing them, he was still a low level compared to them but at least he's on his way of getting stronger. Crozeph looked around him, scanning the area and still looking for that monster or animal which he chased before "it's somewhere around here" he whispered. Crozeph stayed close to Kiru, the forest seemed too quiet now that they've started to feel something though Crozeph has no idea what he's fearing to see.

As he saw someome entering the darker placeplace where he was hiding he said "censored" as he started to walk backwards at the see of the Orange-Player sign. As he walked backwards he stepped on some sticks and leaves that did a great noise . " censored , censored , censored they know where i am now !" he said to himself as he was examining the player that was almost in front of him. " Oh well , better show myself , they might be friendly..." he thought as he started walking towards the player in front of him .. " Hi ! D..dont worry ! I w..was lost here... And i heard you guys.. And i thought i could come here and ask for .. help . Oh , and by the way , my name is Kosan.." he saod rubbing the back of his neck.. " Sorry i've disturbed you ..." he added quite scared unknowing who else is there

4162 dice . (OOC - LD was low :D but i am from the phone and yeah..)

Celes heard more people, She had her Queen's Galvie out and ready when she saw Kosan "Kosan!  Hi!" She looked around, everyone seemed hostile "Guys, guys, everyone chill. Its all good here. Kosan, what are you doing in the forest here. This is my friend Mari and... her, um friend" Se smiled a Kosan Lowering her Glaive. See, its all good, Kosan.