PP-F4: "Through the Looking Glass"

Mari sat, at the edge of an unnamed lake; she couldn't venture into the one near town as that was proclaimed a 'Safe Zone' however there were literally dozens of lakes spotted throughout the field, some much like the one in the safe zone had thick ice; and there was no danger of falling in. Others, as Mari had found through experimentation using rocks and other heavy objects - were not as thick, and would pose a danger to anyone or thing that was too heavy.

Mari was nestled against a large snow covered boulder; she had cleaned herself up a bit since the mentally scarring venture into that strange place with Life on the 7th floor. Her hair  was no longer dishevelled and her clothes no longer ripped. her face had been cleaned of the dirt and there were no signs of blood, nor a struggle on her outward appearance.  She wore a black coat over her usual pink attire. A gift from Moartea; one Mari figured she would soon discard. He too, just like the others had abandoned her. She didn't see his name on her friend list any more which meant one of two things. He had removed her, or he had died. 

The girl gave a small sigh.Her feet were at the waters edge, and every so often would slip against the ice. She'd simply bring her knees back up to her chest once more. How many times had Mari killed now? She had lost count. How could she delude herself into being so incredibly happy? Why would she allow herself to feel such a thing? For all it did, is make the fall that much harder.

Blue eyes watched as a bird landed on the ice, and skittered across it, Mari rose a hand and hurled a sharp pebble at it; the bird disintegrated; dying instantly.  "Bye, bye birdy."

Mari glanced up at the nervous mention of her name. Her eyes were bloodshot, and dark circled lined her face. It was Jubei. Mari had encountered him once before, the boy had been brash - tactless and indifferent. Yet he stood there, shivering from the cold with an uneasy tone to his voice. Mari gave him a small tired smile. "That's my name." She said in a voice that sounded just as weary and broken as she looked. Mari turned her gaze back to the lake, not offering him much more than that. No witty remark, no flirtatious quip and no snide comment.

She was still at a loss; still broken and muddled up inside, and Life's constant appearances in her life had driven her to the edge of suicide; only to be bought back as some sort of plaything for himself. That's the price she paid for attempting to get close to people, for calling people friends. Mari furrowed her brow, not noticing the awkward silence between herself and Jubei. She wouldn't make that mistake again.

Mari wrinkled her nose holding back a sneeze as the black haired youth poked her innocently in the nose. "Haven't you heard? I'm a mutt that shouldn't be poked." Mari gave a bitter laugh as she rested an elbow on her knee placing a hand in her hair, fingers tangled in her pink fringe. "I guess not, but it's an NPC. So what does it matter?" Mari asked. Blue eyes watching him. 

The fire Jubei made was mediocre at best, he had used damp branches from the surrounding area. Mari silently opened up her menu; bringing out the twigs she had collected; for times such as this. She had a large stockpile of kindling in her inventory. Being a PKer; it was almost crucial. Mari chucked it over to the fire and the flames crackled and fizzed before finding new found life. "Better?" Se asked as she watched Jubei attempt to soak up the heat from the flames. "Why come to a cold floor if you don't like the cold?" Mari asked dryly.

She wasn't sure why she was bothering engaging him in conversation. Wouldn't it have been better to tell him to rack off? To keep herself in a silent solitude? Mari was sick of people attempting to analyse or fix her. There wasn't anything to fix. She was a killer; a cold blooded killer, who verged on doing it for fun. That sort of sordid, unforgivable act...there wasn't anything else to it. Mari sighed as she turned her attention back to the lake. 

Mari shrugged; "Right, perhaps monster; or killer would be a better term no?" Mari asked, her eyes still focused on the frozen lake ahead. Jubei seemed a lot more approachable today, not the same distant man she had encountered previously on the first floor. He was right, there was no point in staying on the first floor; still...there were other floors he could have gone to. Mari kept that comment to herself, no use in telling him that. He would no doubt, be well aware of that.

"Feeling sorry for myself mmm...." Mari thought about it, she did feel somewhat bad; but feeling sorry for herelf - that wasn't exactly what she was feeling. Pensive? That seemed more correct, she was speculating, musing...thinking about the person - no - monster she had become and how she had attempted to stray from such a title, before finally accepting it. "Oh I plan on killing him." Mari said simply. Finally dragging her eyes away from the lake to face Jubei.

Her blue gaze was adamant, and slowly a nefarious smile spread across her face. "Who knows, I might have fun doing it too. He had so much fun turning me into what I am today; it's only fair to return the favour no?" She brushed stray bangs of pink hair out of her face as she crawled closer, choosing to sit by his side in front of the fire. 

"I'm here because I'm a danger to be around, I've come to terms with what I am capable of. What I do. But I guess that hasn't stopped you before mm?"

"To each his own." Mari said simply, as Jubei insisted that she wasn't a monster or a killer. Maybe he didn't see herself as the monster she saw herself as; but she was definitely a killer. "I like solitude; I generally don't actively seek company. Surely someone such as yourself would understand mmm?" Mari assumed he was somewhat of a loner, it wasn't hard to pick - with his attitude and outlook. Of course Mari could just as easily be wrong, but why else would he venture up to the 4th floor alone? "You may not see me as a monster, but I am most certainly a killer. I've run my blade through my own daughters chest - I struck down Argumail as he cried, begging for penitence. I killed Tom - as he stood there, accepting his fate..." Mari paused, she wasn't trying to intimidate Jubei she was just driving the point home. She was a killer. "There was this Pker, who attacked Jacob..." Mari grimaced, clenching her fists. "If I could -I'd kill him again..." She sighed, "Then there were these high school kids, didn't really do anything wrong. So you see..." She turned her gaze toward him. "I can't exactly escape the label of a killer."

Jubei asked why do it? Why kill Life? Why stoop to his level. "I want to." She added simply. "In the words of an associate, I do what I want. I take what I want, and I want his life." Mari shifted her gaze from him to the fire, as she watched Jubei poke it. "I could beat you all I want, and it wouldn't change a thing." She paused, twirling a pink strand of hair around her finger. "I don't intend to scare or phase you. Do what you want, Jubei."

"Blunt eh?" Mari said unenthusiastically. Why would she care if he was blunt; she tended to lack tact and speak without thought - she said what needed to be said. In essence, there was no way she should get mad at him for speaking in a manner Mari was all to used to doing herself. "Maybe, maybe not." Mari said to his question. "Most people I have killed have either asked for it; or were attempting to kill other players - guess it boils down to ethics." Mari said stretching with a yawn. "Do you snuff out one life to save two?" 

Mari paused, before continuing; "How do you weigh what life is more important if you had to choose between two people; would you kill someone, who runs around torturing others? Or would you simply let fate or karma take its course?"

Mari thought about Jubei's question; what would she do once she had killed Life? She pursed her lips. She wasn't sure. She hadn't planned that far ahead; she just wanted him gone, she wanted him gone for all he did to her; and all he could do to others. Life spoke of a cancer, as did Jubei, and Life just so happened to be that sickness that was infecting the world. "You said to treat this person like a cancer, and cut them off - that's just what I plan to do - not only will I cut him off, but I will destroy him. So that his existence can't latch itself onto another."

Mari turned to Jubei, a confused look on her face as he asked her what she intended to do with him. "I got no plans." She said with a shrug, turning her eyes back to the fire. "You don't seem to be achieving all that much - let alone making an impression on AIncrad. Be it good or bad, so I don't exactly know how to react or what to do with someone like you."

• 2 weeks later...

A smirk played across Mari's features as Jubei - in a rather annoyed tone muttered that she was too stubborn for her own good. "I've been told that most my life Jubei." Mari said in an amused tone as she twirled a strand of hair around her finger. Cerulean eyes watching him as he grew increasingly frustrated. "I don't react well to advice, even at the best of times." Her voice turned pensive as she turned her gaze to the fire, watching Jubei throw another stick in. "I know it doesn't bode well for me, I just don't trust people. It's a cowardly defence mechanism." 

Jubei seemed to have had enough, he got up and wandered over toward the lake. Mari wasn't sure if this lake had thick enough ice to support a player. Mari was cold, but not cold enough to watch someone make such a mistake. Mari went to stand, opening her mouth to say something but whatever words she spoke were drowned out by a frustrated scream that reverberated off of the surrounding area. Mari winced at the unsuspecting noise. Standing, she stuck a finger in her ear, giving it a twirl she made her way toward Jubei's side. "Geez. Got a pair of lungs on ya." 

Mari shrugged, "I wouldn't exactly go as far as to say you're a friend. But you're tolerable. Even with that thing you do there..." Mari said with a smirk as she pointed to his eyes. "Really, I don't think I can ever go a single sentence without you rolling them big blue orbs of yours." 

Mari sat back down, giving a visible shiver as her body first made contact with the cold snow, it sent goosebumps up her arms and down her legs; but it wasn't an unwelcome feeling. Mari liked the sting of the cold air - and there was no chance she could get sick, unless she thought she could. It was all a matter of the mind really. Mari watched as Jubei started to skip rocks - the high pitched sound reverberated off the ice and echoed in the surrounding area, it was loud enough to send a flock of birds flying off a nearby tree. 

The Black haired youth spoke again, talking about how others avoided him. "Not surprised." Mari said, hugging her knees close to her chest - and nestling her chin between them. "Aincrad is much like real life; if you don't treat others with respect or courtesy - you aren't perceived well. Normally you can just avoid people like that. Or those people - shut themselves away from the rest of the world. But we can't do that here. Sword Art Online forces us to interact and put up with those we would normally never give the time of day to. Some kids just can't handle that."

Mari gave a grin and turned her gaze to Jubei as he went on to say that she didn't run. Why would she? He was much like her in that aspect - easily annoyed and bothered by others.  "I do poke fun. Your reactions amuse me." Mari said honestly, reaching out to lightly poke his leg. "It's like you have this gruff exterior,  but every now and again you offer a smirk or your cheeks redden. It's interesting."

"It's a coping mechanism though." Mari mused. "Sometimes, people cling to the silliest or most far-fetched of notions, just to cling to whatever sanity they have."  Mari fell silent, watching Jubei skip a few more rocks. "There was a time..." Mari began in a pensive tone; "Where I mmm..." She tilted her head, trying to figure out the right words. She was never very good at articulating her thoughts. "I wanted to help those people in a way, but they annoyed me - so it was difficult. Now I don't bother, people can't be trusted. They can all go insane and kill each other for all I care." She finished in a dry tone.

Mari stifled a small laugh as he dropped the pebbles. Mari picked one up, and threw it hard into the lake. It didn't skip, it just broke straight through the ice, leaving a small sized hole in the surface. "Yanno I never had one of those things. Tootsie pops that is. I never got the whole licking to the center thing - I figure, why not just crack it against a hard surface?" Mari turned her head to him, offering him a smirk. "Or you using that as some sort of sexual innuendo?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Hah...I wouldn't exactly call them perverted. Twisted mayhaps." Mari said, turning her cerulean gaze to the ice covered lake once more. Watching as Jubei continued to skip rocks. The two had gotten off to quite a rocky start but now they seemed to get along. Funny how some things work out. Both Mari and Jubei were stubborn, cold people. So it was only natural for the two to butt heads.

"It's a shame really. No life should be worth loosing." Mari glanced down, pulling out her hands Mari looked at her palms, repeating her statement - rue and remorse in her tone. "no life should be worth loosing...."

Mari looked up at Jubei, thinking about his question. "I used to think that it was the morally right thing to do. I think about how many of these people are kids, children and teenagers, they don't know any better."

"hah, touché, Jubei. Touché" Mari said, with an amused tone to her voice, her blue eyes turning back to him. "Is that a smirk, or a smile I see? My..." Mari began, "Here I thought all you were capable of was eye rolling and scowling." Jubei changed the topic, taking on a serious note - although his actions said otherwise. Absently making shapes in the air, throwing balls of ice at Mari - which had fallen short of their target. Perhaps on purpose. 

"Tis true. I'd have to agree with your ideals. Heh...as harsh as some of them may be, but I can't fault them. " Mari said, a short reply to his speech, her eyes darted to what was behind his back. His hands had been behind there for quite some time, and she could only assume it was another snowball. "How bout I offer you a place in my guild in exchange for not throwing that thing at me eh?"

"Few and far between though right?" Mari asked in response to him smiling, she shrugged when he suggested that she liked pushing his buttons. "It's somewhat amusing, maybe you shouldn't give such amusing reactions hmm? That's you diggin your own hole there Jubei." It was true, Mari did enjoy teasing him. It was somewhat of a stress relief for her, and his reactions amused her greatly. He had such a stalwart and cold front and to see that chip away...it amused Mari. It showed that people were still...human. 

The subject shifted and Mari gave Jubei a nudge with her shoulder. "Bit hard not to catch you. Subtlety is not your forte. But my oh my do you drive a hard bargain hmm..." Mari said, contemplating his offer. "I hate that damn 5th floor  so much, but I guess I can put up with it."

Mari gave Jubei a small nod, "I can respect that, we can't really change some of our mannerisms." Mari mused to herself, on purposefully avoiding the subject of him feeling comfortable around her. She wasn't sure what to say on the matter. So rather than bother with pointless banter she chose not to say anything at all. Mari was somewhat glad that he felt comfortable around her, that was at least someone. She wasn't sure who felt what these days, everyone seemed to act so odd around her, as though they were stepping on eggshells, but could she really blame them?

Mari grabbed hold of Jubei's hand, and used it to pull herself up and out of the snow. "Yeh, we got a deal." She gave his hand a shake, before letting go. "I'll meet you on the 5th floor just outside the village at first daybreak tomorrow. You will need to go get the quest information, and we will party up then. It wasn't too bad for me, but I'd advise that you bring water, a jacket - and some sort of rations. If you need me to reimburse you for them, let me know then."

With that, she gave Jubei a small nod and a curt smile before turning and walking away from him. The 5th floor...what a bother..