SP-F7: "Mountain of Materials"

Mari didn't have anyone- but that didn't mean she couldn't continue to look for, and collect Materials. She was checking her equipment, ready to go in the cavern. She had heard from passerbys that this one was riddled with bats further down. Not that she would mind. It'd be nice to be able to fight, after all, that was apparently all she was good for these days. Gathering, and fighting.

Mari pulled out her 'Blooming Rose' wincing at it's name. She wished that those who made weapons for her didn't name them after roses. That wasn't exactly her thing, nor what she was going for. Still; it was a useful dagger, giving her 2 damage and the chance to paralyse her enemies. Today; she'd be using it to jam into crevices and walls. That, was just what she did. 

Mari stepped into the cave and she was barely three feet in before she found a vein and had struck her dagger into it.

Loot Dice: 6 FAIL!
Materials Collected: 0

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mari could hear the twittering of bats further in the cavern. Mari figured that she would take a few more shots at this area before moving onto the next. Mari used to find a quiet sort of joy from farming materials alone. Now....now not so much. The solitude paved way for the dastardly voices in her head. The vitriolic thoughts that seeped through her subconscious. Mari struck the wall again, another fail.

Loot Dice: 11 FAIL!

Mari took another step; and struck the wall again. She had barely started so it would make sense that she didn't have any materials yet. Sometimes, it would take a good several tries before getting even just one. "Ugh.." Mari mumbled, as her strike yielded no results. This was proving to be such a bother. Mari wanted to just walk away. Not bothering with anything. But she needed these. 

Loot Dice: 9 FAIL!

"Ugh...screw this..." Mari muttered as she kicked at the wall. This was getting nowhere and she wanted to get rid of her frustrations. She couldn't exactly do that with players....There was no one around. There no NPC's either. "What a  shame..."  Mari murmured. She decided to give it one last shot, and regardless of the result she would venture further into the cave, get rid of that incessant chattering from those bats. Mari thrust her dagger into the wall again and as luck would have it, a material popped out.

Loot Dice: 20 Success!

Materials Collected: 1

Mari stepped into the next room, and low and behold there were two large bats; gleaming beady red eyes and sharp fangs dripping with saliva. Mari grinned, "That is a little more like it." She mumbled as she drew out her blade, kicking up and jumping down onto one of the  bats. Driving her dagger deep into it's head. It screeched underneath her, flapping its wings as the other circled her head.

Giant Bat #1: 5/14
Giant Bat  #2 14/14
Mari:  55/55 

Battle Dice: 4 + 3 =7 Success!

The bat that was circling her swooped down, its sharp claws aimed for her head. Mari used her free hand to shield her head and the claws dug into her arm. Mari growled and slammed her arm against the wall, the bat screeched and let her go. The bat that was under her foot attempted to squeeze itself out but Mari just pressed down harder on its chest. "Oh no you don't!" She said with new found vigour in her voice. This this was more like it!

Giant Bat  #2 14/14
Mari:  54/55 

Mob Dice: 8 -2  = 6 Success!
Mob Dice: 3 - 2 = 1 FAIL

Mari stepped off the bat that was trapped under her foot only to bring it under its body to kick it against the wall. Mari grinned as it made a pained cry, flailing as it fell to the floor. Hopping along the ground giving an injured squeak. "oh poor, poor baby."  The other bat swooped down, but Mari stepped to the side, managing to avoid it; she thrust her dagger into one of its wings and began swinging it round and round. "Round and round it goes, where it stops - nobody knows!" The blade tore through the wing, and as it did ice surrounded the tiny creatures body. It fell to the ground with a 'clunk' 

Giant Bat  #2 3/14
Mari:  54/55 

Battle Dice: 10 + 2  = 12 Success!
Damage: 11 + paralyse 1/1 turn

One of the bats was frozen, and was unable to do anything, the ice was quickly melting though - and it was already attempting to lift it's body off the ground with a single wing. Screeching wildly. It's noises seemed to reverberate against the cavern walls; and Mari could hear more chattering further, deeper inside the cave. More bats, more fighting, more materials. Mari shrugged as the other bat sunk its teeth into her shoulder. "Please..." she muttered as she closed her hand over its small head and pried it free, throwing it against the wall. Showing no remorse for the mobs.

Giant Bat  #2 3/14
Mari:  52/55 

Mob Dice: 9 - 2  = 7 Success!
 paralyse 1/1 turn 

The ice just melted, and the bat just managed to wrestle free, but Mari wouldn't let it's freedom last long. As soon as it managed to break free Mari scooped it up with her blade; ramming it into the furry creatures torso. It shattered with a final cry. The pink haired woman blew a tuft of hair out of her face. "One down, one to go." She let the loot drop into the palm of her hand. A material, just what she was looking for - and some extra Col to boot. Now, to see if the other bat would yield an equally successful bounty.

Giant Bat  #2 DEAD

Battle Dice: 6 +2  = 8 Success!
Loot Dice: 17
Gained +1 Mat 
+70 Col

Materials Collected: 2
Col gained: 70

The remaining bat tried to attack Mari, but it failed, and Mari swatted it out of the way. with the handle of her blade. It fell uselessly to the floor and chittered, chattered and squealed in pain. Mari gave a small laugh as she nudged it along the floor with her foot. "Go on little one, call your friend. Let them come, let them all come." 

Giant Bat  #2 DEAD

Mob Dice: 4-2  = 2 FAIL!

Materials Collected: 2
Col gained: 70

After the bats failed attack Mari she chuckled, kneeling down to watch it struggle and squirm. The creature reminded her of herself; weak, pathetic - staring at its predator with wide open eyes. Scared, confused, snapping at any provocation. "Want me to put you out of your misery?" Mari asked as she tilted her head to the side; the bat screeched in return. Mari took that as a yes. She grabbed her dagger and struck it, right between the eyes.  It burst into data, and Mari managed to gain another material and a little more col. She stood up with a sigh.

Battle Dice: 5 + 3  = 8 SUCCESS!
Loot Dice: 16
1 Material
70 Col

Giant Bat #1: DEAD
Giant Bat  #2 DEAD

Materials Collected: 3

Col gained: 140

Now those two bats were dealt with...Mari could hear the sound of more bats; deeper in the cave. She crossed her arms with a sigh. Did she go into some sort of mob cave? Would she come across a bat king or queen? or were they simply scattered throughout the field? Mari shrugged her shoulders. What did it matter. As long as they gave her materials. They were worth it. Mari had dug her dagger into the wall again, but it gave her no results.

Loot Dice: 4 FAIL!

Materials Collected: 3

Mari took another step to the side; and rammed her dagger into the side of the cave wall again. A material popped out. Lucky. Mari let it drop into her hand and put it in her satchel. "Why do I even bother...." She muttered. It wasn't like her shop made any money. Mari was simply doing this to...to keep busy. At times like these, Mari missed the simpler days. The times she used to mindlessly grind levels - and happily retreat to a tavern for a drink, or an inn for a rest. God she missed beds.

Loot Dice: 16 SUCCESS!

Materials Collected: 4

"I'd kill if it meant I could sleep in a bed..." Mari muttered darkly to herself. how long had they been trapped in this game? A year? They hadn't even made it past the 10th floor; useless. Utterly useless. Mari slammed her dagger into the wall again. Feeling bitter about the whole ordeal. If they had reached higher floors she could have purchased a house by now. Then she'd have a bed. At least she got another material. Mari placed it in her satchel again, scratching her chin she contemplated going in further, maybe kill a few more bats. It was a quicker method than this, and the cave was fairly well lit.

Loot Dice: 17 SUCCESS!

Materials Collected: 5

Mari was about to step into the next cavern, but paused when she received a message  from Life. Her lips turned down into a frown when she read it? was he serious? Did he really think she'd fall for that? Mari leant against the cavern wall, and typed out a heated reply.

To: Life
Subject: Re: (No Subject)

Do you really think I'm that stupid? You want to meet me again so you can ram your tongue down my throat? So you can laugh as you watch me inflict pain upon myself? Oh Life, poor, poor Life. You're the one who called me a monster; you're the one who told me to embrace what I am. You're the one who said you didn't want to associate yourself with me. After all, I'm nothing but a distraction from your goals.

-Mari.

"Who does he think he is..." Mari muttered to herself running a hand through her fringe, feeling frustrated.

Col Collected: 140

Mari waited for a reply from Life, but got none, she decided to send one last message; she was angry with him. If he were in front of her now she would probably strike him down, or at least tempt to. 

Subject: A last note

I suppose I should thank you; you had bought me and Alkor together; only to have us split. I know not to trust anyone.
Do whatever it takes right? Isn't that what you said?

After sending the message she felt a little better. Mari stood up and dusted herself off, heading deeper into the cavern, punching the wall hard as she passed it.

Mari entered the room and there was a single bat perched upon a stalagmite, as its beady eyes landed on Mari it took flight, and started directly toward her. Mari had the upper hand, being a grandmaster dagger user. She threw her dagger toward the bat and it landed directly into it's chest. She heard the ping of another message, but that would have to wait for the time being. She knew it was from Life. What more did he have to say to her? What lies? What trickery? Mari had enough of his fake kindness. She wasn't going to fall for that trick again.

Battle Dice: 6 + 2 = 8 SUCCESS

9 Damage
Giant Bat: 5/14 HP

Col Collected: 140

The giant bat fell to the ground with a loud thud, with Mari's blade still deep in it's torso. It gave a startled cry, and flailed around on the ground. Mari casually wandered up to it, placing a foot on its wing she ripped out the blade, then quickly and deftly slit it's throat. The bat burst into an array of data, leaving behind the same thing the other bats had; a single material and some Col. Mari sighed. These were too easy. And there was that message she had to reply to too.

Mob Dice: 2 - 2 = 0 FAIL
Battle Dice: 3 + 3 = 6 SUCCESS
Loot Dice: 16
+70 Col + 1 Material

Giant Bat: DEAD

Materials Collected: 6

Col Collected: 210

Now that the bat had been dealt with Mari opened up her messenger; reading the post from Life. These words affected her more than Mari cared to admit. She hadn't spoken to Alkor about the whole situation. She was afraid of his reaction. Life had told her cruel things; she sighed as she replied.

Subject Re:Re: A Final note

You forced yourself on me; and told me I was so debased and tarnished that even Alkor wouldn't touch me; I sent him a message and he replied, out of character for him granted; but he replied stating he knew what I had become and did not want to be bothered saving a lost soul. Your words and actions are debased; and twisted. You Know we got together - I confided that in you but you told me you loved me and never wanted to see me again. Of course, I know that's a lie now.

May those orcs rip you apart.

Mari sighed, pressing send. It was difficult; she wasn't sure why she was still bothering to message him. Playing into his web of lies, his traps. "ugh" Mari grabbed her dagger and struck it into the wall, more out of frustration than her hunt for materials; yet; one luckily popped out of the wall. Mari scooped it up and placed it into her satchel.

Loot Dice: 16 SUCCESS!

Materials Collected: 7

Mari slammed her dagger into the wall again; but got nothing, she sighed, rubbing her eyes. She hadn't heard back from Life yet, which was lucky. She wasn't sure she could put up with seeing any more bile from him. Fake companionship. Who needed it? Mari was done in this room, she decided she was going to move forward, she stepped into the dark corridor but there was a steep incline; Mari lost her footing and tumbled forward, clothes catching on rocks, and ripping, grazes and cuts appearing on her hands, knees and cheeks. Finally she stopped, with an 'oomph' as she hit the bottom. 

Loot Dice: 6 FAIL!

Materials Collected: 7