Was Kirito Meant to Be Homosexual?

Hiya, everyone! Keith here! And today, me and some friends were in a Skype call and were talking about SAO. Now, naturally, we came to talk about Kirito. And... We dug up some interesting things. Now, let's get this out of the way. Nothing wrong with being homosexual. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I support same sex relationships. This is meant to be a fair analysis, and of course, everyone can feel free to disagree with me. Just be tame about it, okay? Great! Let's get started.

Fact Number 1: Background and real life

As we know, Kirito's parents died in a car accident, leaving him with his aunt and cousin. First notable fact, is Kirito had to take Kendo, on his grandpa's accord. His grandpa supposedly beat Kirito, so much that it made him quit. This would, at an early age, give Kirito a recessive personality, more likely to submit to other males in conflict. What's also important is that his cousin, Sugoha, is who stood up to his grandpa, meaning Kirito has female figures who look out for him. This point is driven even deeper when Kirito takes an interest in what his aunt does, and not any other male family members. Eventually, after spending enough time with his aunt, it's what gave him an obsession with computers. This, showing his male-submissive traits and large influence with females is what gives us some background knowledge on the theory.

Fact Number 2: The Beginning of SAO

Kirito interacted with almost no one in the beginning of the game, other than Klein. At first Kirito seemed awkward, but eventually warmed up to Klein later in the game. Now, notice in the opening seen how many different genders are interacting. And it's obvious that most male gamers are hitting on girls around. Isn't it odd that Kirito interacted with almost none of the females, and instead choose to go with Klein? Now, you could say Kirito is just being polite online, and that could be a good factor to counter this argument. Until, the episode ends. In the original Japanese airing, Kirito and Klein exchange some words before splitting up. "You look cute, you know." And, "Well that rustic look suits you ten times better!" THIS, is one of the greatest supporters. Most guys would say, "HA! Gaaaay!" But, Kirito does nothing of the sort, in fact, he goes the extra mile and compliments Klein back. And when translated to English dub, this was instantly covered up and changed.

Fact Number 3: Female interaction

We all know Kirito has a horde of girls after him, but every time, we see Kirito has no romantic interest in them. He doesn't even get flustered when they talk, touch, or compliment him. In fact, Kirito seems naturally inclined with girls, and has no trouble giving them a hard time. Almost every guy ever, would never think twice about acting the same way Kirito does around girls. Instead, acting more flirty and polite. Why did Kirito hook up with Asuna? The huge popularity of SAO definitely took off. But if Kirito was revealed to be Homosexual, that would spark outcry in the fanbase. Seeing as how homosexuality is treated nowadays, if the main character was revealed to be so, a number of fans would outrage. With that, all it took was a little changing, and Kirito got with Asuna.

Fact Number 4: Biological proof

Now, you can make a pretty good claim if a male is homosexual just by looking at your hands. By comparing the length of your index finger to the length of the finger between the pinky and the middle, (Honestly, I dunno if there's a name for it) You can tell. If your index is longer than the other, that's a potential sign of homosexuality. How? Well, finger length is determined by how much testosterone the infant is exposed to in the womb. The more you get, the shorter your index finger is. http://hdwallpapers-download.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Kirito-Sword-Art-Online-34.jpg With this image, we can see that Kirito's index finger is definately longer than that of his other. A clear sign of potential homosexuality. Now, you can argue the artist just overlooked this fact, and drew his male characters like that. http://theaincradcastle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Sword-Art-Online-episode-8-screenshot-014.jpg There. In this image, you see Agil's fingers are bent. But, looking closely, the index finger would be equal to, if not shorter than the other finger. Which means Agil got plenty of testosterone. A man's man. With all the evidence, this could add up.

But hey, that's just a theory.

A GAME THEORY

*Is sued*

I know this is a serious topic but allow me to recommend you chapter 16.5 of the light novel, I know it was released separately from the LN because of the R-rating. But it can be added as part of canon since it was written by the original author. And I think reading it would prove quite ....contradictory to your theory.

about fact 3... here is a resume that I got from SAO WIKI, on SAO volume 9, Interlude I [spoilers ahead]

Asuna and Kazuto take the train to the former's home in Setagaya while holding hands. Asuna recalls a scene in Sword Art Online where Kirito nearly dies in «Granzam» on Aincrad's 55th Floor. She then turns to another memory in which they held hands while they watched the floating castle collapse. She was shaken out of her daze when Kazuto stops and turns to her to talk to Asuna about his plans of going to America to study. He invites Asuna to come with him, to which she accepts, wanting to stay at his side forever. ...

if he was sexually inclined towards men I think he would've asked somebody else to accompany him.

another extract from the SAO wiki timeline [spoilers ahead]

October 24th

October 25.

so they get married in-game before buying the log house at the 22th floor, 

That reminds me that I need to read the material editions, currently reading SAO volume 12: Alicization Rising.

Nice evidence! But, my theory is oriented on him planned to be homosexual in the beginning, but changed very quickly when hooking up with Asuna. Still, I think this is a fun topic to talk about, and don't think it's serious. It's about the sexual orientation of a fictional character. As long as we all just have fun, open debate, it's just for fun in the community. Personally, I don't think Kirito was meant to be homosexual to ever begin with. I just brought this up because... I really wanted something interesting to talk about. 

Nice evidence! But, my theory is oriented on him planned to be homosexual in the beginning, but changed very quickly when hooking up with Asuna. Still, I think this is a fun topic to talk about, and don't think it's serious. It's about the sexual orientation of a fictional character. As long as we all just have fun, open debate, it's just for fun in the community. Personally, I don't think Kirito was meant to be homosexual to ever begin with. I just brought this up because... I really wanted something interesting to talk about. 

Go home Keith you're drunk, or have waaaay too much time on your hands to come up with a philosophical discussion about homosexuality in main characters of  major Animes. I find it hilarious that you can come up with these theories man, but no I don't agree with this all, I do agree with the finger length equalling the Testosterone in a male figure, but even then, Homosexuality is not genetic. Its a choice, so your theory about his finger with showing homosexuality is partially true and false. While yes a few Homosexual friends of mine do have longer index fingers, showing less Testosterone, than some of my straight make friends. There is one or two guys I am buddies with that have longer index fingers, and are bulked up like a Mardi Gra Float, and their gay, even with the low endorsements of Testosterone. 

I notice that all of the evidence to support opposition of this theory boils down to "But he loves ASUNA, silly~". 

1.) Kieth's point was speculation about the intended ambiguity of Kirito's sexual orientation prior to that development. You guys just didn't read him hard enough. 

2.) Writers often change their mind about certain things and do them differently for publication, compromising their original artistic vision for a better chance at success. As an artist, i know the dilemma well. Sometimes you can catch when this happens in a story if you read wide context with a little comprehension. Oftentimes, these changes don't sit well with an artist and they throw the original content at you in the form of what we like to call "SUBTEXT".

Subtext is an indirect undertone or implication of a concept or feeling through various methods of imagery, word use, and symbolism. Though never explicitly divulged by the characters or the author, it is still there and in the background. An elephant in the room that... somehow doesn't get noticed by some people. Its regularly only caught by individuals who can recognize subtle patterns and details.

9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!

oh..... sorry, where did that come from? Yeesh....

I do take it as an insult it is a very delicate matter to discuss. It really really hits home for me.

I don't see how anyone would choose to be picked on, ridiculed and hated for their gender preference, why would people choose to be kicked from their homes, beaten up- shot?

. I don't see how finger length determines how gay you are (how is that even valid science)

But I digress

I don't think Kirito was meant to be gay. If the creators wanted him as such they would have done so- with subtext that didn't involve ridiculous theories about finger length.

I do take it as an insult it is a very delicate matter to discuss. It really really hits home for me.

I don't see how anyone would choose to be picked on, ridiculed and hated for their gender preference, why would people choose to be kicked from their homes, beaten up- shot?

. I don't see how finger length determines how gay you are (how is that even valid science)

But I digress

I don't think Kirito was meant to be gay. If the creators wanted him as such they would have done so- with subtext that didn't involve ridiculous theories about finger length.

Jesus Christ I never inquired any of that Mari, well I guess i will be keeping my mouth shut from now on.

Jesus Christ I never inquired any of that Mari, well I guess i will be keeping my mouth shut from now on.

you don't need to shut your mouth, you need to open your mind. By thinking and professing that homosexuality is a conscious choice, you imply a lot of things that just don't add up. Wittingly or ignorantly, you did "inquire" that homosexuals chose the shock to their lives that society poses on them for being who they feel. Homosexuals do not, absolutely, positively, DO NOT chose to be gay. The only choice being made is by other people and its about how to treat them and whether or not they'll let their own personal values influence a gay person's life. 

Im not saying you're the type of person to judge someone for their sexual orientation, i'm just saying you validate people who do when you support the claim that someone can CHOSE their sexual orientation. It opens a door to a loooot of discrimination. People are people. They fu** what they think is pretty. If we stop drawing lines in the sand we can start playing on the beach together and having a good time. We can even play volleyball. And don't worry, i'll still like you no matter what team you're on.

People, please! ;3;

Stop arguing! This was meant for funsies, not for everyone to start slandering me and brew up such a huge debate with each other! And Aaphi really drove the point home. I personally do not think he was meant to be homosexual. This was just a gag me and friends had in Skype calls, and I wanted everyone else to get in on it.

It's a fictional character.

A FICTIONAL FREAKING CHARACTER.

No need to snap at ACTUAL people for a harmless topic that wasn't meant to be taken so seriously.

No matter how many times I clarify it, seems no one actually bothers to listen. Are you reading? ARE YOUR READING? Because I'm about to clarify everything.

I meant he was PLANNED to be so. But CHANGED by the time 16.5 came around. WHY. WHY. WHY. Can none of you pick up that crucial information? Instead, I get slandered, insulted, and just pushed off like I don't even have any emotion. And people ask why I left the site for so long. I'm absolutely sick and tired of the attitude going on in here.

Baldur and Jubei, don't talk to me like I'm a child, and don't even try using such a smug, oppressive usage of text on me. I genuinely felt hurt on how bluntly, and idiotically, you called me out on facts I took the time to compile. 

And Life, why the sarcasm? What have I done to you? Did you even read that I declared this whole theory was about the writer CHANGING him, BEFORE 16.5?

I'm completely fed up with all the dickish attitude that has appeared on the site as of late, and I refuse to put up with it. If an admin could lock this thread, that would be great. I see my opinions aren't welcome, and neither are intelligent people who actually want to have fun, constructive talk about a show we love.

I'm seriously disappointed.