PP-F5: “Hot Springs�

Mari hated the 5th floor. Hated it. She’d rather go jump off Aincrad than stay there longer than needed. However, it was currently the only floor that held a town she was able to enter, it was more of a shanty town than anything else. It was mostly filled with Merchants and barterers – those who sold items well above their standard price. Mari had gone there, to check on the wares but had, much to her distaste…found nothing.

Mari had left the area, and – to the advice of an information broker, had found a hot springs nearby.  It was hidden amidst a large rock formation to the south of the temporary shanty town; the rocks shielded the pool of hot water from the harsh winds. And it was in this hot spring, that Mari had sat in. She wore her undergarments, and the sun was slowly setting – the cool change coming in. She sighed happily, pooling water into her cupped hands before splashing her face with it.

Peace.

Quiet.

“How lovely…”

"What's so lovely?" he asked the pinkette in her undergarments. "If it's those clothes you're wearing then I must agree." he admitted with a large smirk on his face. "Hope you don't mind if I join you." said as he entered the spring with a pair of shorts. As he lowered himself into the water, he sat next to Mari, whom he sooo rudely interrupted.

It was actually a few moments ago he was strolling about with his map out. That was until he found her on his map, which had given him an idea to come pester her a bit, as there was nothing else for him to do. He had never been to the location. Though there a large amount of springs on his floor, this one in particular seemed abandoned and rarely used. An ideal place for people like Daeron and Mari to go when one wants to be alone.

Daeron leaned back against the stone, his neck bent backwards and his head facing the sky. "How have you been, cutie?" he asked her, knowing it'd bother her.

Mari jumped when she heard a voice. Not expecting anyone to have found her, or even joined her. Of course....it was Daeron, of all people. Mari gave a heavy sigh, rolling her eyes. "Always the charmer." She chided. "I do mind actually. But it's not like you'd listen." Mari said indignantly as he slid into the hot springs, inching nearer toward Mari.

Mari gave him a questioning look. She hadn't spoken to Daeron much recently, not since the run in with everyone on the third floor - and the brief encounter with a few monsters on the 9th. Come to think of it, the two seemed to be bumping into each other a lot lately. Despite sharing so few words  between each other. He asked her how she had been, Mari grumbled. "Ugh. Avoiding people. I'm sick of people telling me-" She paused, clearing her throat, and speaking in a whiny, high pitched voice, "Oh you're not Mari! Don't be like this. This isn't you. Tch..." Her voice returned to normal. "What would they  know?"

Daeron chuckled. "Well for one, nothing, you can be quite the introvert at times." he said as he splashed a little water at her. "Secondly, are you seriously not Mari? Are you secretely an imposter?" he asked jokingly. Daeron submerged himself for a second and rose back up. "Wow, I forgot what hot and cold even feel like because of my robe." he began to get off topic. Once he wiped the water from his eyes, he continued, "Are you honestly caring about what they say? Do what I do. Whatever I want." he said bringing his arm around her smoothly.

Daeron hade seen Mari a lot lately, not even on purpose either... Except this time of course. Daeron figured if he was to see her so much he may as well try to work for something and this would become his new primary objective from now on when the two were together. This goal of his was to try to get very close to her, after all, she was pretty cute in the end after all.

"Yeh? And what's wrong with being an introvert?" Mari asked, annoyed. "I've had to deal with so much sh*t this past year. I had to kill my own f**king daughter, and lost my best friend. so excuse me if I am a bit apprehensive around people." Mari continued her rant, clearly frustrated. "I am sick of entitled sh*ts who crack hissy fits because I don't treat them with kindness or respect. Like they deserve it."

Mari took a deep breath, sighing as she rested a hand on her forehead, leaning back against the edge of the hot springs. Daeron had dunked his head under the water, "Sometimes..." Mari began, taking on a serious note, as she responded in earnest to his joke. "I wonder who I am. The me, 12 months ago - would never dream of killing. Now I have nightmares." Mari turned her gaze to Daeron. "I have nightmares that I'll start doing it for fun."

Mari gave Daeron a questioning look as he said he forgot what hot and cold felt like, because of his robe. "eh? What does your robe- whoa." Mari's question was interrupted as Daeron wrapped an arm loosely around her. She knew he had a habit of pushing boundaries. But Mari also assumed that Daeron was still pining after Lessa. The last she heard, he was going to do all he could to ensure that she was well looked after. "Careful Cassanova." Mari chided. "I don't care what they say, but when its constant. It begins to get annoying."

Moving his arm, he smiled. "Easy, I'm trying to lighten the mood. Plus it's not like I'm really going for anybody anymore if that's what you think." he said, announcing he was staying just friends with Lessa. Then he looked at his robe. "Oh, my robe negates heat and burn damage, and in the cold it heats up using the heat it absorbs from my time on floor nine." he explained. 

"Listen. I like you, let me help you with your troubles. I'm a great guy if you give me a fair chance" he said drawing circles on the surface of the water, using the tip of his index finger. He then chuckled once more at her title for him, 'Cassanova'. It intruiged him that she didn't have a knife to his face yet, he knew he deserved it too.

Daeron then went serious. "About your daughter... I'm sorry. Trust me though, don't isolate yourself like I did. I can help you. I can teach you how to control your thoughts and actions." he said as he embraced her in a gentle, but supportive hug. "If you want to cry, go ahead." he stated, trying to comfort her.

"You're not?" Mari asked, in honest shock. "What happened to Lessa? Weren't you enamoured with her? Or in love with her? Something along those lines?" Mari asked skeptically. "My, you are one to change his mind quickly eh?"

Mari pursed her lips, feeling envious of his robe. "Sounds overpowered to me, Damn wish I had something similar. I hate the heat." 

The pink haired woman watched as Daeron drew circles on the waters edge, muttering about how he was a great guy, Mari bit her tongue - trying not to say something spiteful to him. Mari groaned when he said he could help her, then wrapped his arms around her to pull her into an embrace. "I hate even more people attempting to f**king help me all the god damn time." She spat. Pushing him away. "I don't need to cry. what I DO need is for people to get a f**king clue."

"Then just say what you want. Look, I don't know you well enough what you do or don't like." he said as he opened up his menu. Pressing the <Trade> button, he sent a request to Mari to give his Solar Flux Robe to her. "Look, you need this robe more than I do." he said with a sincere smile. Daeron pressed the 'accept' button.

"As for pity, expect none from me. You can tell me everything, but if it makes you feel better, I'll act almost as if I don't give a damn. Which, truthfully, I don't. I say this stuff to sound nice. I apologize." he said as he gave her a sharp, fierce glare. Daeron then returned to the subject about Lessa. "You know, the more I think about it, the weaker I feel. I showed her openess, which left me off guard. I don't really care for her much anymore romantically anyways. We agreed to be just friends." he said as he moved some of the hair in his face to the side.

Mari sighed, "I don't need help. I don't mean to spur the offer of comfort, but..." Mari took another breath and again, sighed as she ran her hand through her still dry hair. "I suck at wording things. Even at my age. I just don't want to feel like some charity case. I don't want people trying to change me. Yes, I've changed. Yes, I'm different, but telling me that's not good, that doesn't bode well. It irks me. Why should I have to fit the ideal image someone else has of me?"

Mari blinked, shocked when a trade offer came up in front of her. Daeron's robe, was sort of his signature trademark, along with a snide smirk. Much like Zelrius' twinfire was. It was a part of what made Daeron renowned. "Daeron.." Mari muttered quietly. She wasn't sure what to do or say, the action spoke louder than his words. Was he so willing to give it up? Her eyes breezed over it's stats. It didn't really contain any boons, the primary use it had was to negate fire damage. It would have been perfect for the Hydra. "I don't think I can accept this." Mari said, raising his eyes to meet Daeron, whose serene smile twisted into a glare.

"Heh, it'd be useful if anyone were to go head to head with Zelrius, eh?" Mari joked.

"I can't blame you, for feelin' weak. It mustn't be nice, even if you are friends - to show that weakness, to be so close to someone? It's difficult." Mari finally pressed decline on the trade offer, giving a heavy sigh. It was a hard item to pass up. Mari shoved her head underwater, cursing - shouting obscenities into the water, as air bubbles rippled to the surface. 

Did she seriously pass up on such an offer?
What the hell was wrong with her?

Daeron winced at her denial. "Honestly, I am getting new gear anyways. If I want anyone to have it's you. Consider it a gift from me to you. The thing is... I want you to have it because of a message. Just because it isn't the best quality, doesn't make it less special. The robe is a metaphor to your mentality right now. You really are special. Unique. That's why I adore you the way you are. I like this you." he said as he offered the item again, this time insisting she takes it.

Daeron smiled at her, knowing that giving this away meant a lot to him and how much he actually likes her.

Mari finally pushed her head up out of the water, cheeks red from the heat. "Fwa..." She rubbed her eyes, and wiped the excess water off her cheeks, again slicking her hair back and out of her face. Mari finally opened her eyes. Glancing at Daeron She gave him a wry smile. "Like this me? Heh. You would be one of the few." Mari would have said the only, but Alkor's words lingered in her head - and she couldn't deny the fact that whilst she rarely spoke to the man, he had stood by her. She bit her lip, and lowered her gaze for a moment. One of her nightmares, was Alkor disappearing. Finally fed up with her murderous ways. 

The trade offer popped up again, and Mari - against her better judgement - reluctantly pressed accept. Acting as though receiving the gift was almost a chore. She wasn't very good at accepting things, "You drive a hard bargain." Mari mused. Placing the cloak in her inventory for now. Seeing no point in getting it wet.

"Why are you here?" Mari asked abruptly, it had been a question nagging at her since his arrival. "Surely this isn't coincidence? Is the big bad Daeron stalking lil' ol' me?" 

"Is that a fantasy of yours or something?" he smiled. "Actually, I came here to annoy you, but then things got all sentimental and now you know that I like you. Bam! The cat's out of the bag huh?"

Daeron splashed her with some water and then swam off slighly. "Not only that, but I really like talking to you. I feel some sort of like... attraction to you almost." he added as he went underwater mometarily, swimming back and popping his head back up. Daeron was literally thinking of more reasons that seemed less sappy to be around her, but for some stupid reason he was drawing a complete and utter blank right now.

Mari scratched her cheek, "Mmm, I don't know - I killed the last people who stalked me, I think I'd have a pretty hard time doing that to you. I think I'd loose that battle."

Mari wasn't sure how to react to Daeron admitting he had feelings for her, whatever those feelings were exactly. She wasn't sure. Daeron had just recently admitted to liking, or more so, lusting after Lessa. Now, it seems he had moved on and set his sights on Mari. Last time they had a discussion about this, Mari had admitted to having strong feelings for Alkor, and he the same for her. Rumours had started that the two were a couple. Mari had no clue what she and Alkor were, but she knew that Daeron had a habit of simply, not caring.

A splash of water caused the woman to jump, and it disrupted her thoughts. Mari blinked, how long had she been musing to herself. "Wh-huh?" Before she could react further, Daeron had again dived under. Mari gave a small frown. "You're not doing a very good job at annoying me, you're just confusing me." Mari said, crossing her arms in a huff. "I don't know what you're thinking, or planning, and it sorta irks me."

"Does it now? Would you like to know?" he asked her with a smile. Daeron hadn't a clue how to get closer to her. That was what irked him at the moment. In fact, he knew he'd have to be different... normal methods won't work on her. So that gave him an idea. Instead of constantly trying, he would now keep her on edge with his own mysteriousness.

Daeron played with the water some more before he stretched, but didn't make a move like he usually does. He was going to throw an enormous curveball in this game. Daeron held his glare with her, his orange-red eyes locked sight with her pink, his hair every now and then falling before his face because it was so wet.

"Honestly, kind of - but it isn't the sort of thing that will keep me up at night." Mari said, tilting her head slightly to offer him a wry smile. There was a silence between the two, Daeron had stretched, no doubt making himself more comfortable. What caught Mari by surprise was that he hadn't tried to nosey his way into her personal space. Mari cleared her throat, clearly a little uneasy.

"It's nice." 

Mari said, turning her gaze toward the sky, dusk was approaching, it was her favourite time of day; the time where both the sun and the moon had equal right to the sky. It was awash in hues of amber. "Although, when night falls, it is going to get mighty cold, mighty quick." Mari commented, again on their surroundings rather than the situation the two were in.

Daeron noticed that the sky started filling with slight darkness, and the sun was starting to become less visible as they spoke on and on. Getting out of the water, Daeron put on his standard clothes. He almost wanted to panic at his disappearance of the robe, then he remember that he had given her a gift of his kindness. "Listen, since you have my robe and all, and there's no place to really go for either of us. Mind if I just crash with you tonight?" he asked her with a smile on his face, drying off his hair which was still rather drenched and hanging down his face, blocking part of his view.

The water had began feeling colder and colder too, even though they were on a desert, they could feel the breeze pulling the water temperature away and cooling their bodies as well. Moments later, Daeron witnessed the moon rising above their heads, slowly but surely, it climbed its way up. This would be a long night, seeing how he had no way of keeping warm just yet. If she would deny him, he'd simply go make a fire elsewhere and leave her alone.

Daeron got out of the water, and Mari felt reluctant to do so - but the water was begining to cool, as was the wind. Mari sighed heavily as she pulled herself out of the water. Immediatly visibly shivering as she quickly equipped her standard armour, and draped Daeron's cloak around her shoulders. Shoving her hands through the sleeves. Since she herself, had not been on the 9th floor nor 5th floor all too often, whilst wearing the newly acquired item. It retained little warmth. Mari rubbed her hands along her arms trying to heat herself up. It was a nice gesture and it was one Mari wasn't sure how to react to. So she tried to refrain from commenting on it for now.

"You do realize I sleep in a cave right? on the 3rd floor in the forest of mist?" Mari asked. "I mean, it isn't exactly peaceful, but if you're fine with that then by all means join."

at that, Mari turned to walk away, much like Daeron - she didn't bother to linger, nor to check to see if he followed.

Daeron laughed, knowing what sleeping in the wilderness felt like. Agreeing to the terms, he began to follow behind her. Following in her footsteps literally, he realized how big his feet were to hers. As he wandered, he hadn't said much to her. In fact, most of the trip seemed to have been silent in the night sky. The moon shone above them and it was rather a breathtaking sight, seeing how the world shimmered in the moonlight that they always knew to exist after the sun had set.

The sand made crisp noises beneath his feet, grinding at one another. It wasn't until many moments later that he decided to breath the silence. "Say Mari. Do you ever miss... you know? Being a green player?" he asked her. He was ready if she asked him. Of course he did. He missed being able to say that he lives in this village or that village. He missed being able to do anything he wanted without being feared.

There was a long silence between the two of them, as they trudged across the dry sand. Night had all but set in, Mari wanted to leave the floor and return to her cave, her home amongst the warbled screams in the Forest of Mist. They were near the teleportation pad when Daeron asked her if she missed being a green player.

Mari turned to face him, a mix of emotions upon her normally stoic face. "That's...difficult..." Mari began, turning her eyes away for a moment. "I miss the comfort of a bed. A sound, safe sleep. But, even if I were to be green now. I doubt I'd ever sleep soundly again." She gave a small bitter laugh. "I don't even mind being the target of maverick hunters, nor do I mind people fearing me. I'm not a social person, so that seclusion isn't exactly new territory for me." 

The two had arrived at the teleporation pad, Mari stared at its illumesent glow for a few silent moments before turning her gaze back to Daeron. "I don't think I'd go back to green any time soon. I promised I wouldn't till Al-" Mari paused, knowing Daeron's threats, he disliked hearing that name. Alkor. "I made a promise to someone I refused to go green until they did. Even then - with my luck, it's only a matter of time until someone...mmm dies again. So I see little point in changing it. Are you considering doing the Redemption quest?" Mari asked.

Nodding his head, he simply replied "Yes" at first. However, moments later, he had thought about what else he could add on to that. "I've been orange since my beginning days here. However, I'm learning to live life like a barbarian more and more, which is truly unlike my nature. In case it makes you feel any better, you know more about me than just about anyone else in Aincrad. Isn't that a bit funny huh?" he said and finished with a slight chuckle at the end. He kicked up a slight amount of sand, but only enough to create a cloud for a second.

Everything around him at this point was so quiet... peaceful. A sound he hadn't truly been able to enjoy in what seemed like ages when it had only been a few hours since he last got quiet sleep. He agreed though. He missed being able to sleep in a safe zone. Not even the fact he was wanted, but like her, he wished to be able to live a semi-normal life. Everything after his first murder seemed to have fallen apart in pieces. "I like you Amari, but I can tell you like someone else very much still. So don't worry, I'll try not to impede upon you and his or her relationship." he added as he gave her a slight, but friendly, punch on her arm.