[PP-F8] The Thorn Among the Roses (Mari)

A sunny morning always greeted Crozeph wherever he's going as if it was his stalker but that's just what he thinks "better than cloudy days" he said. Crozeph already saw the town on the floor but didn't enter it, he was planning on going somewhere his eyes has not yet seen "I just have to keep in mind the border of the game, falling off somewhere isn't nice" he thought. Crozeph could see tiny animals crawling on trees and jumping from branch to branch. Since he was a kid he always copied how cats leap from from one place to another and today might be a good day to try it again "a little trip back to my childhood could be nice" he said. Crozeph quickly looked around to see where he should start "too tall, looks crunchy, thin branches, to huge to hug..." Crozeph finally saw a tree that he can climb. He quickly climbed up but struggled to do it correctly as one of his feet keep slipping off the tree "leave it to cats they say but not for me" he muttered. Crozeph finally reached a high enough branch of the tree "from point A..." Crozeph eyed the nearby tree "to point B!" Crozeph jumped as high as he could but as he's in midair he realized that he can't reach the other side "I hope I land on something that won't hurt" he said. Crozeph closed his eyes, seeing himself falling to the ground looks scary than feeling it then after a few seconds he only heard a thud.

(I HAVE TIME TO DO THIS ONE NOW!)

Mari had been walking amidst the canapies of the 8th Floor. This floor...wasn't exactly pleasant for Mari, but players here were few and far between - especially this far out from the towns. She ran a hand through her frizzy pink hair, the humidity didn't do her appearance justice. Mari was slowly grinding, levelling up to become stronger. She had been the discussion of quite a few people lately. So, she wanted to become stronger. If her guild were to fall apart, she would be able to rebuild it from the ground up. Focusing on strength of a few rather than many. She was too lenient with allowing others into it and that was her downfall.

Mari, was considering fighting a few of the monsters that spawned up ahead but before she could go anywhere, do anything...she saw a flash of black, and a loud thud. Mari whipped out her dagger, taking a step back ready to attack whatever it was. Her blue eyes focused on the heap in front of her. Till she realized it was another player. Not only another player, but one she had met before.

"Croz---err Crozen?" She asked. Getting his name wrong.

Crozeph opened his eyes, his left foot on a treeand the rest of his body on the ground "what happened..." he said softly "I was climbing something a while ago then I jumped off..." as soon as he remembered what happened the pain came back also. Crozeph began roling as he tries to endure the pain "leave the landing on their feet to cats" he said. He heard someone talk as he's still rolling and that made him stop. Crozeph stood up and saw someone, a girl and obviously stronger and dangerous as the first thing he noticed is her mark. Crozeph stood up shaking off the leaves on his cloak "I looked stupid a while ago" he thought. He remembered her calling someone named Crozen "if you're looking for Crozen, I didn't see anyone here but if you're calling me then I'm not Crozen" he said keeping his calm expression.

"My name is Crozeph and..." he stared at her for a moment "I know you, not your name though but by how you look" he said "I'm sorry, I've been going solo for a long while that I don't remember much of the people I meet and their names but like I said I still remember how they look" he told her "and please the dagger, it makes me feel uneasy" he raised his hand a bit to point at it and then felt a sudden pain on his elbow. Crozeph began sweating cold because of the pain and made a nervous smile "why does my elbow hurt like hell?" he thought.

Mari raised a brow as he asked what happened. "I could go the corny route, and say you fell from heaven. But let's face it, you're just clumsy. You're lucky you didn't fall into a mob infested river. They'd eat up kids like you." Mari snapped her fingers, "in a heartbeat."

Crozeph rolled around, seemingly in pain before straightening. As if only now realizing someone was there. Mari shrugged as he corrected her, she had gotten his name wrong. She only met him once, with Daeron. How was she meant to remember the little details? It seemed he had the same issue, stating that he didn't remember her name, but her looks. Of course, Mari was pretty memorable. With her stark pink attire.

"Mari, and please - like I care." She stated, rather than putting the dagger away she chose to twirl it absently in her hand. "So monkey-man, what's the deal with jumping around like that?" 

Crozeph lowered his elbow to lessen the pain and replaced with what seemed to be a rude attitude from the person in front of him "a kind name with a faint rudeness" he thought. Crozeph looked at the dagger still, she could stab him any moment if he wasn't paying much attention "mob-infested rivers, just when I thought I could go rowing or swimming somewhere" he said looking around him. He then heard her ask about his deal with jumping around from tree to tree "it's not a monkey thing..." Crozeph raised his right hand and made a what seem to be cat like move "more like a cat" he said "and I do it sometimes, makes me feel like a kid" he added. With all that has happened in the game for survival, Crozeph mostly saw dense people and others who already snapped because of fear and their goal to survive.

"You should try it too sometimes, not necessarily the jumping thingy but other things that'll make you feel like a kid again" he said giving a faint smile. He didn't care if Mari would act rude or be cold to him with a dagger in hand, everyone seemed to be like it and he's the type of person who likes to swim upstream when everyone is going downstream. 

Mari smirked. Finally placing her dagger back into her inventory. "If you want to go swimming, do it on the lower levels. You'd be eaten alive...figuratively at least. If you were to try such  a thing." 

Crozeph insisted it was not a monkey thing, and mentioned it was supposed to be more like a cat. "Mmm, jumping around in trees still sounds more like a monkey, pretty sure a cat or a monkey wouldn't so clumsily fall either."

The youth then went on to mention he wanted to feel more like a kid, at the mention of the notion Mari's eyes narrowed. "I'd rather not." She hissed, turning her back on him to walk away. "Kids die in this game." She muttered bitterly. Recalling what had happened to her own daughter, what had almost happened to Jacob. Kids, no, they were the first to die in this death trap.

"I've seen enough of the lower levels, maybe living dangerously every once in a while can be good" he replied at her. Crozeph has always been staying on the lower level floors, no higher than 6 and this day is one of those days where he would try to test his limits or rather the limits he put on himself. Crozeph almost laughed on her saying it's still a monkey thing "forgive my ignorance, I sometimes don't know the difference between the two when it comes to acrobatics" he said smiling.

Crozeph was still enjoying his own thoughts about being a kid when he heard her say something about kids dying in the game. Crozeph's eyes turned into its calm expression, the hint of good feeling slowly turning into a curious one. Crozeph watched as she walked away from him "everyone is slated to die in this game" he said not knowing if she heard it or not, it wouldn't matter anyway "my words only lasts a few seconds" he thought. Crozeph turned around, ready to go on a different path when he suddenly saw a flash of memory. The cold feeling that he almost shiver and Mari standing in front of Tom who shattered after a few seconds. Crozeph turned back again, eyes set on her, and his breath turning heavy every second "who are you really?" he said before following her.

Crozeph mentioned that he was bored of the lower levels, at least she could agree with that statement. He asked Mari to forgive his ignorance, and that he didn't know the difference between the two. Mari thought it obvious, Monkey's were known to jump from tree to tree, Cat's weren't. Cat's were known for their agility. Their finese, and their well, apathy toward humans.

It was at that point, it would seem that the two were to part - but before he left, he stated that everyone was slated to die in this game. Everyone, was bound to die at some point. The outlook was a grim one, and one Mari didn't exactly agree with. She had people now, or more so - a person she wanted to fight for. Alkor. She wanted to watch him grow, she wanted to help him escape this game.

He then asked who she was. "Eh? I'm Mari." She said, not quite catching the intention behind his question.

Crozeph gripped the hilt of his sword, he was trembling "I said... WHO ARE YOU?!" he yelled at her. Crozeph didn't know what was happening to him, after that short flash of memory he was already losing it. He put his hand on his face covering it, hiding the eyes that he doesn't want to show her "step back Crozeph, step back" he mumbled. The memory came back again and it was still that same Mari that is standing in front of him, the Mari that killed his squad leader and later on found out that Tom is also his half-brother from Sousuke "I need to forget these" he said. Crozeph struggled unsheathing his sword, it's like he was scared and angry at the same time. He kept hiding his eyes, it looked terrible as far as he can remember and showing it to her will only cause trouble but then he felt like he wanted to stab her "I'm sorry for yelling at you" he said not looking at her. Crozeph took another step back but as soon he turned around he tripped on a root causing for him to fall face first "I need to forget these" he said again.

Mari blinked, "Eh? I told you. Mari." She repeated, a hint of annoyance in her tone. She noted that he had gone to draw his sword - but stopped. Instead covering his face with his hands. Wise move, if he had drawn his weapon against her, he'd have probably signed a death sentence. Crozeph seemed to struggle with some internal issues, perhaps memories? Flashbacks? Hell, maybe he just ate something that didn't agree with him.

"You don't look very apologetic." Mari muttered, taking a step forward. "Seriously, don't apologize unless you mean it."

Mari watched as he fell over, she crossed her arms, approaching him and giving him a small nudge with her foot, "Get up before you get yourself killed."

Crozeph stood up after hearing what she said but still kept his eyes away from her, once their eyes meet surely he'll attack her with no reason but the little flashback. Crozeph fixed himself and looked at her, calm eyes that only speak of one thing "I'm sorry and this time I mean it" he told her "that was a little weird on my part but I'll try not doing it again" he added. Crozeph's sword hand was trembling, it seemed like a chance to at least stab her but there are things better to talked about than clashing weapons with a player way more stronger than him. "It's not worth it" he thought, Crozeph then walked past her and tried to contain the killing intent he has. Crozeph turned his back to look at her "mind if I tag along? like you said I might get myself killed so I guess it's better to at least tag along" he told her. The little flash of memory is not reasonable enough for him to pick a fight with her, talking might give him some reason to at least keep him from getting his own death wish "that mark of a PKer, how did you get it?" he asked, not sure if it was the right thing to even ask her.

• 3 weeks later...

The man, known as Crozeph - dressed all in black apologized; and Mari had to accept it for what it was at face value. "A little weird is an understatement." Mari added, shifting her weight to one side as she placed an arm on her hip. Watching him scramble to his feet. Mari was not the most observant one but she did notice that his hand trembled; he seemed to be at a loss of what to do, but simply walked past Mari. It seemed as though their brief encounter was nearing its end. Not that Mari cared; to her, he was nothing more than a strange monkey boy who had fallen from the sky.

Unlike Crozeph, Mari didn't exactly recognize him from the time she killed Tom. Crozeph stopped in his step, and turned over his shoulder to look at her; asking to join her in her venture. "You don't exactly look like you want my company." Mari observed, he then asked the question that every new person she encountered asked. How did she get that mark?

"I killed my own daughter." Mari said darkly, crossing her arms over her chest; Mari was never one to exactly reveal the how or the why - naturally she wasn't some sort of careless beast, there were reasons behind it - but she didn't like reliving them all the time. So kept the answer short.

Crozeph smiled at what he heard from her "maybe it was an understatement, but it didn't sound like one to me" he replied. Crozeph's heartbeat slowly returned to its normal pace, his voice back to its normal way of always fading at the end of his words "looks like I've calmed down a bit" he thought. Crozeph didn't really expect or wanted any of what he felt earlier, things like that always brings trouble for players like her and worse...death to players like him. 

As he walked forward he heard Mari say that it didn't look like he wanted to tag along with her "it's one of the worst things about me, I don't seem to be motivated much even of my own words" he said "even if I say I'm really happy all I can show is a faint smile" he added. In terms of positive feelings, Crozeph has been having a hard time all his life doing it right in front of others. Talking ends up as a quiet glance and laughing changes into a sinister smile and even a while ago, he was jumping around trees and then yells at her suddenly. Crozeph is trying to ease the tension in him and tried asking another question which Mari answered straight, no hesitation and that is something that made Crozeph much more surprised.

"Killed your own daughter?" he asked thinking that he heard it right while his eyes on hers, trying to figure out if it was a jest or the truth."I'm sorry for asking" he said, apologizing at her again "I didn't mean to ask you something which might bring back pain" he added. "I was expecting something a little obvious like defending yourself or someone who made you snap" he told her "I lost my mother and it was painful but I have no idea what it would feel like to lose..." Crozeph turned back again facing Mari, trees began swaying as the wind blew "...or kill your child" he said. Maybe she had her reasons is what Crozeph wanted to think but for someone like him, deeper answers lie in the cracks of the obvious truths.

• 2 weeks later...

Mari quirked her brow at Crozeph's words; they didn't make sense - he said he was acting a little weird and Mari made the observation that it was an understatement. Only for him to say that it didn't sound like one; Mari shook her head, not caring if he had calmed down or not. Mari didn't exactly want to be around too many people right now - she wanted to hold everyone at arms length

Crozeph went on to explain his faults, and Mari narrowed her eyes. "And I should care, why?" She snapped at him, Crozeph apologized for his question; when he realized that Mari killed her own daughter. Mari's lips twisted into a thin, wide smile - as her voice grew cold. "Oh don't be sorry Crozeph." Mari stepped toward the dark haired man, lifting a hand to lift his fringe up and away from his eyes. "It's not the first time I've killed, and it shan't be the last. I've killed to defend others; I've killed to defend myself. I've even killed to collect on a bounty. So I don't need your pity." 

Crozeph kept her eyes to hers, the woman seemed to have gotten used to taking lives. Some she did for self-defense and others he didn't want to process, he asked her and he shouldn't expect a nice one from her. As Mari lifted his fringe getting a much more clearer look of her, Crozeph grabbed her wrist "I've got the answer I want to hear" he told her "but still, that rude attitude of yours will get the attention of many, in an angry way...lots of them" he said, moving her hand down but still holding it "and I'm hoping I'm not getting in your To-Kill List" he smiled at her. Crozeph felt a hint of getting in trouble with her and he needs to keep himself on guard "she could be holding her dagger on her other hand" he thought. It may have just been too much for him to process that this woman that is standing before him killed her own daughter, he might at least make up for the things he shouldn't have asked her "and what could someone like me who forgets the bad things that happened do to help someone who may be tortured by the memories she had? or does she even need help?" he thought.