[PP-F1] Lost (Mari)

After the incident, Oske and Pepper had returned to floor one and separated. Pepper said she wanted time to think, which Oske found to be mature for such a young child. Oske, too, needed some time. Those words kept echoing in her head—the accusation of insanity. She exited Starting City after bidding Pepper farewell for now, and she slowly crept through the grass. While boars did spawn, they did not bother her because she didn’t bother them.

Her head felt like it was full of bricks as she walked. Am I really insane? she wondered. She did have episodes, and she had strange thoughts, feelings, and visions… but did that really make her crazy? She touched her arm, then pinched herself. She felt the pain clearly… how could it be just in her head? Oske continued to walk, her thoughts distracting her. She remember him—that cat. The cat that no one else saw. He was black, with purple eyes, and he gazed at her through windows and while she slept. She hated him… but just before SAO began, she started taking medicine, and he disappeared.

“I’m such an idiot…†she whimpered, gripping her hair in one hand and shaking her head a little. She had been given a coping strategy—no, more than that. She had been given a friend for life, and she got rid of him. The medicine was helping her, but… was it worth it? Was she even worth it? She constantly felt like she was a waste of space, and didn’t deserve to be on Earth, in Aincrad, or anywhere, for that matter.

It was only after she had thoroughly depressed herself that she realized that she was surrounded by trees, and she had no way of telling what direction she had come from. With a sad whimper, she fell to the ground and buried her face in her hands, sobbing.

Mari was casually strolling through the forest of the first floor. Again, she was checking out prospective familiars. She wanted one, and she wanted it to be good, she wanted it to match her - she wanted it to be something useful. There were jackalopes deep in the first floor forest - tiny rabbit creatures with horns protruding from their heads. Mari wondered what kind of buff they would have. Thorns? Evasion? They were skittish, but easy enough to kill. She was using this as a distraction. Distractions were good. She didn't have to deal with people. Mari had become very antisocial lately, and was even considering disbanding her guild - as the majority of its members - in her eyes, were almost useless. Asen was the only one with any promise. Jubei had just joined and had yet to show any potential. Not that he has had a chance to yet.

There it was.

Out of the blue, Mari had almost tripped over her. A crying woman, sobbing with her face in the ground dark matted hair shielding her face. Mari stared down at her, contemplating walking away. She looked as though she could handle herself. Instead, Mari gave the woman a small nudge with her foot. "Oi, if you gonna go get all suicidal do it in a place you won't bother anyone."

Oske froze when she felt another presence, and suddenly someone spoke. They sounded kind of… rude. For a moment, she thought it was Pepper. A smile shooting to her face, she lifted her head out of her hands and said, “Pe—oh.†Her face burned red with embarrassment. She stood up and brushed herself off, simply because she hated being below someone. The two were similar heights, so standing didn’t really make Oske feel better.

The player was a woman, with… pink hair. She paused, then averted her eyes. “I’m not suicidal. I’m lost.†She let out a long sigh, pulling up her menu for a map. What an idiot she had been, not even checking the map. Oske wiped her face again, attempting to not look like a complete fool. She could see Pepper’s icon far away, back in Starting City. It was just a little green cursor, and when she pressed it, it showed her name and status. It seemed she was taking a quest.

That’s when she noticed it.

Oske jumped back, her shield covering her face. The player—she was a PKer. Normally, Oske wasn’t very hesitant around them. After all, her dear friend Daeron was a PKer. However, after her most recent encounter with a player who tried to kill her, she was afraid. Her sword was at the ready at this point, just in case. 

It seemed that the woman thought Mari was someone else, someone whose name started with a P? Pee? Peh? It didn't really matter. Mari wasn't who the girl was hoping for, a look of disasppointment befell the woman before it was replaced with embarrassment. The woman made a quick recovery, green eyes darting to Mari's hair. Rather than her orange icon. That was a new one. She said she was lost, which Mari could sympathise with, she often got lost. Even with the map.

Then came the reaction Mari expected, albeit delayed. "Geez," Mari said, placing the palm of her hand onto Oske's sword- pushing it down. "Not the smartest way to address a PKer. Don't be stupid. I'm not going to do anything. Nor do I need to put up with this sh*t from a stranger." Mari retorted, slightly annoyed as she turned her back on Oske. Sure Oske could attack Mari. But Mari doubted she would, with the way she reacted. It was rare that another player would actually go that extra step to hurt another.

Mari sighed, running a hand through her hair, she was once like that. What the hell had happened to her? she never was one to have many friends in the first place - and it seemed this time would be no different. 

Oske froze. She lowered her sword, then her shield. “I’m sorry,†she sighed. “I normally don’t treat people like that. I… recently had an encounter with another player, and I’ve been on edge ever since.†She honestly was sorry. Normally, Oske considered herself to be very kind. She would never treat another player with fear like that, even though… she was truly afraid of everyone.

She imagined if Pepper were a PKer, and she was treated with such disrespect.

Oske wanted to be angry at the player for being rude to her, but she honestly couldn’t. She was too scared, sad, lonely, and anxious to feel any other type of emotion. Perhaps the player standing before her had also been attacked, and become a PKer from attacking someone else from the attacking group? Oske’s own thoughts were starting to not make sense. 

Mari paused, turning to look over her shoulder at the distraught woman. "Eh, so you just gonna group all Pkers in with the one bad crowd?" Mari asked, her tone annoyed. Mari turned to face the other woman. Crossing her arms over her chest. "You lot are all the same, assume first- throw accusations then ask questions later. Sh*t, one kid upon finding out I had to kill my own f**king daughter - he laughed in my face." Mari sneered.

"So go on then, laugh at me. I don't care any more. I don't feel the need to put up with anyone. Nor do I want to." And with that, Mari went to turn and walk away from Oske again. Why mention her daughter? Shock factor. It left most people speechless, and it prompted most people to leave Mari alone.

I… recently had an encounter with another player, and I’ve been on edge ever since.” She honestly was sorry. Normally, Oske considered herself to be very kind. She would never treat another player with fear like that, even though… she was truly afraid of everyone.

She imagined if Pepper were a PKer, and she was treated with such disrespect.

Oske wanted to be angry at the player for being rude to her, but she honestly couldn’t. She was too scared, sad, lonely, and anxious to feel any other type of emotion. Perhaps the player standing before her had also been attacked, and become a PKer from attacking someone else from the attacking group? Oske’s own thoughts were starting to not make sense. 

Oske felt like her heart had been broken--not because of the player's attitude, but because of her story. Unsure of exactly what to say, Oske still managed to speak. She was careful not to use the word 'darling' or 'sweetheart', as she normally did to strangers who she sympathized with. If the player was going to speak of her past, Oske was willing to speak of hers. 

"No, no, I won't laugh at you. I see no reason to. I'm really sorry about... reacting in such a way. I shouldn't have... hell, my former fiance was a PKer," Oske said. She paused to think again. What was her relationship with Pepper now? She pretended not to hear it, but Pepper had clearly called her 'Ma' on multiple occasions. She quickly made an assumption, then spoke again. "My... daughter and I were walking on floor two just a few days ago and we were attacked. She dealt the killing blow to the player... and he wasn't a PKer, either. Honestly, I would've been on edge even if you were a green player. I didn't mean to offend you, swee--hmm."

Oske quickly coughed to cover up her error. 

"I've known a few PKers. I've been on edge, and I forgot to even get to know you before I jumped to conclusions."

Mari had already began walking away, Oske's timid voice growing quieter. Mari didn't give a crap about what Oske was on about, why should she? Why bother? Why bother interacting with others when it got her nowhere. Mari paused though, when Oske said that single word. Daughter Mari's eyes quickly widened, before her face fell back into its stoic mask.

Mari turned to face Oske. "So, your daughter is a Pker now?" Mari asked, not hiding the curiosity in her voice. "So, your daughter who is now a Pker - a target for all players. Is Wandering around, outside the safe zones...alone?" Mari asked, raising an eyebrow - as curiosity turned to annoyance. How could she do that to her daughter? How could she let her daughter deal a killing blow? A Child?

Mari grit her teeth, Oske's other words sweeping into one ear and out the other. Mari repeated, "You. Left. Your. Daughter. Alone?" 

Knowing that she had struck a nerve, Oske quickly put her hands up. "No, no... You've got it wrong. He attacked us first, and because it was self defense she did not become a PKer. She's currently in Starting City and has a quest status. She said she needed a break from everyone." Oske paused again. "If she leaves starting city, I told her to message me. I wouldn't leave her alone and defensless like that."

Despite what Oske knew--the fact that Pepper wasn't her real daughter--she added, "I love her, after all."

Mari closed her eyes, taking a few deep breaths to calm herself down, It was a good thing Oske said what she said. "You know..." Mari began, in a low voice - restrained as she was still subduing her anger. "I was about ready to grab your sorry a** by your collar and drag you out this forest to go find her." Mari muttered, she didn't elaborate as to why she would do such a thing. She thought that much was obvious. There was no way a young child with an orange tag should be alone. However - that was not the case. It was in self defence. "You still should have done it." Mari grumbled, crossing her arms across her chest. "How are you going to explain to your daughter she killed someone? She's going to have to live with that her whole life. No wonder she feels she needs a break."

"In all honesty, neither of us wanted to kill him," Oske confessed. She remembered the light in that players eyes fading out with each cut, until he shattered and disappeared forever. "I got him down to one health point, and then we tried to get away, assuming his will to live would stop him from following us. Well, he followed us, and Pepper killed him." The sound of Pepper's horrified cry echoed through her head yet again.

Her mind then panned into uncharted territory--things that Oske had to live with for the rest of her life. She could hear haunting voices calling her name--"Olivia... Oliviaaaaa~" Oske shook her head. "I haven't gotten the chance to talk to her about it. She's been brushing me off."

"I'd be a tad concerned, no - pissed if you went out and said that you wanted to kill them." Mari paused, glancing away. "Not that I am one to talk, I suppose." She muttered under her breath. "some people are just idiots. I'm not one to say he deserved to die, but...he pretty much walked straight down deaths corridoor - with a big f**king neon sign that said 'hello hades sweetheart, I'm home; "  

Mari shrugged, "Perhaps you should talk to her about it. No matter how mature she probably acts she is still a kid."

"I suppose you're right. I usually just don't know what to say, because usually the people I deal with are adults--" As she spoke, a message appeared in the corner of her vision. She opened up her menu to read it.

To: Oske

I'm calling you Ma from now on. Also, I have a surprise for you. Where are you? I'm just outside of Starting City. I'm coming to find you.

Oske froze. She let out a long sigh. "I should've known... she's left Starting City. She never listens to me... I have no idea what I'm going to say, because... I'm new at this whole 'comforting a child' thing." Oske glanced at the woman. She paused, then held out her hand, forcing a smile onto her face. "I forgot. My name is Oske. It's nice to meet you."

Mari raised an eyebrow. The other woman didn't sound like she was a very sure of herself mother. Not that Mari could talk, her daughter was taken away from her. "I'd rather deal with younger children than adults." Mari  began, "They aren't as full of themselves - or as stupid." She said as she brushed back cotton candy coloured hair over her shoulder.

She seemed distracted, and it was at that moment she mentioned that 'she' was leaving the city. The other woman seemed unsure of how to deal with her child. "No? Really? Hasn't she grown up with you?" Mari asked cautiously. Something didn't seem to add up. Finally. She introduced herself as Oske. Mari glanced away as she shook her hand.

"Mari." She said simply. Mari wasn't very good with interacting with others, and despite her best efforts found herself discussing things with Oske, maybe it was because she found Oske to be another parent?

"You gonna go find her?" Mari asked, talking about Oske's child.

When Mari asked if Pepper had grown up with Oske, Oske felt her heart burst. Crap. She thinks that Pepper is my real daughter. She smiled in response, unsure of what to say. She was sure that if Mari knew that Oske was just caring for her like a daughter and was not actually related to her, she'd burst into rage or something. Oske felt like this woman was a ticking time bomb. When Mari asked if Oske was going to go find her, she replied, "Oh, yes, of course. Last time I let her wander outside of Starting City alone, we were almost killed by an Imp."

Oske checked her map. Pepper was just outside Starting City, which was a little bit of a walk away. She then noticed a little flashing red dot over her icon. Oske's face lit up with panic. "She's... she's in combat. I have to go right now. I'll figure out what to say on the way... I just hope it's not a player she's fighting." With that, Oske quickly checked her map one more time before running in the direction she needed to go. She was terrified, honestly. If another player was fighting Pepper... Oske didn't know if she could save her anymore.

Turn Order: Oske, Mari, Pepper, Mari

"We?" Mari gave Oske a look up and down, eyes travelling from the girls brown haired head down to her feet. "You don't look like you are a low level. Then again, I know looks can be deceiving." She added thoughtfully, scratching her chin. Mari wasn't sure why she was still talking to Oske, she didn't want to bother with her. With anyone right now. She wanted to focus on getting stronger. Much like Alkor. Mari smirked at the thought, he was rubbing off on her. She would have to chastise him for that the next time they were to meet.

Then, Oske's face turned from a mild worry to a look of almost absolute terror - she turned to run. Stating Pepper was in combat. Mari pursed her lips. Sighing. She'd follow, just to make sure at least the kid would be ok. Mari followed Oske, at a more leisurely pace - toward the starter city. Sure, she would arrive a few minutes later - but it would just be a few minutes. What could possibly happen in that time?

Pepper was standing just outside of Starting City when Oske appeared. She ignored her friend at first, facing off with a boar. The boar snorted in rage, then ran straight at her. It nailed her pretty hard in the leg, but not hard enough to kill her. In fact, Pepper jumped up and spun in the air to deal a critical hit onto the boar's face. It oiked and grunted in pain, shaking its head and jumping back. She then looked up. "Hey, Ma!" she called.

Pepper was rather old--eight years old--for a daughter of Oske, as Oske was only seventeen. She also had long blonde hair, and a tan skin tone, which was very different from Oske. It was clear that the two were not related.

ID: 9467

BD: 10 (1dmg + 2swordskill + 2 crit = 5dmg)

Mob: 9 (1dmg+ 1 crit = 2 dmg)

Pepper: 11/13 

Boar: 2/7 

It wasn't long till Mari caught up to Oske, and who she assumed to be Oske's kid. Now, Mari wasn't sure how old Oske was - she seemed young, but she could very well be in her early twenties. It wasn't abnormal for people to have kids at the very young age of 16, and Mari had assumed Oske was one of those people. Nothing against Oske. Mari wasn't one to judge someone based on sexual promiscuity or lack of protection. Still, despite all that. This girl looked incredibly different to Oske.

Mari glanced, or more so glared over toward Oske, had she lied? Perhaps Pepper was someone she adopted?  Or even a lone child in the game who had attached herself to Oske. All reasonable scenarios, and all cases that again, Mari didn't have an issue with. What she did have an issue with, however - was being lied to.

Mari crossed her arms, standing next to Oske. "So, tell me Oske dear." Mari began. 
"She get her looks from you, or her father?" 

Oske nearly jumped out of her skin. She had barely heard Mari appear, and she didn't think the woman would follow her. She swallowed her guilt and the sweat that would've built up on her temple had she not been relaxed. Oske slowly put her hands up. "It seemed that you were pretty serious about parental bonds, so I didn't think it'd be the best thing to tell you that Pepper here isn't my real kid... in fact, she only just started to recognize me in a mother position." She swallowed again. "In all honesty, I didn't want to look like a complete idiot... not knowing how to take care of a kid."

Oske scratched the back of her head. 

"Well, I guess I look like an idiot anyway. No surprise there." She glanced at Pepper, who was probably cowering in fear at the sight of another player--a PKer, no less. "She's alright, Pepper. This is Mari. She's not a bad person."

Mari scoffed. Speaking in a harsh tone, "What business is it of mine?" She asked blankly. "If you see her as yer kid, and she sees you as her mother, what difference does it make? Still makes you her mother in some way or another. So what the F**k do you feel the need to lie?" Mari's words were cold, and perhaps said in an aggressive manner - but there were good intentions hidden in there somewhere amongst the animosity. Mari stood by her words, she didn't care what kind of bond the two shared, if they saw each other as family, that made them family. To her, it was obvious and simple. 

"If anything, you look more like an idiot for lying, no one is perfect. Sheesh."

Mari turned her eyes to the girl, giving her a small wave. "Ello."